Santorum calls BS on NYT question

posted at 10:25 am on March 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Previously, Jeff Zeleny’s biggest claim to fame was asking Barack Obama the hard-hitting question, “What has … enchanted you the most from serving in this office?” The question was so sycophantic that even Zeleny’s colleagues in the White House press corps laughed out loud when they heard it.  The New York Times has Zeleny covering Rick Santorum’s campaign three years later, and suddenly Zeleny’s a lot less concerned about what enchants politicians … and less concerned about quoting them accurately, too.  When Zeleny rewrote a statement from Santorum in a speech and then challenged him on it, Santorum got angry — and a little PG-13, too:

CBS This Morning had the exclusive video of Republican hopeful Rick Santorum‘s blowup at New York Times reporter Jeff Zeleny. Zeleny asked the former Pennsylvania Senator if Romney was the worst Republican in the country, which set off Santorum.

“What speech did you listen to? Stop lying! I said he was the worst Republican to run on the issue of Obamacare. And that’s what I was talking about! [...] Would you guys quit distorting what I’m saying? [...] I’ve been saying that at every speech. Quit distorting my words, if I see it, it’s bullshit!” Santorum erupted. “Come on, man! What are you doing?”

“You sound upset about this,” Zeleny observed.

“I’m upset when the media distorts what is I say,” Santorum hit back. “Yeah, I am. I do get upset. ‘Cause you know exactly what I was saying and you’re misrepresenting it. [...] What are you guys in the business of doing, reporting the truth or are you here to try to spin and make news? Stop it! You don’t care about the truth, do you? Asking that questions shows you don’t care at all about the truth.”

Zeleny insists that Santorum called Romney the worst Republican in the country, but so far, no one else has come forward to back that up.  Santorum has consistently said that Romney would be the worst Republican to run against Obama on the issue of ObamaCare.  He said that in the final January debate to great effect, and said it again in the final overall debate, which got lost in Santorum’s subpar performance.  One might think that had Santorum said what Zeleny claims, one of the reporters would have audio or video of it.

Santorum isn’t exactly apologizing for the outburst, either.  He appeared on Fox today and was asked about it by Gretchen Carlson, and responded that “a real Republican” candidate would have done exactly the same as he did:

Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum cursed at New York Times reporter Jeff Zeleny on Sunday while campaigning in Wisconsin, saying, “Quit distorting my words. It’s bulls—.”

Monday morning, the presidential candidate explained that he was just acting the way a Republican should.

“If you haven’t cursed out a New York Times reporter during the course of a campaign, you’re not really a real Republican, is the way I look at it,” Santorum told Fox News.

That’s how you know!

Seriously, though, what a great way to end the first half of the primary season for Santorum.  He got a big win in Louisiana on Saturday, and then an opportunity to pull a Newt Gingrich to fire up the base as the ten-day recess starts.  That won’t hurt Santorum at all as he aims at Wisconsin’s April 3rd primary, which may not be a must-win for Santorum but comes about as close as it can to one.  If Romney wins Wisconsin’s winner-take-all primary, it will leave Santorum with fewer paths to blocking a Romney majority in the delegate race.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

His supporters will look at this as points in his favor, conservatives who are familiar with him but are probably not supporting him won’t be horrified by this, and anyone who is on the fence or not familiar with Santorum will be put off.

Santorum should know better. This is his fatal flaw. He is not a thoughtful person. He shows no discretion, loses it too fast, takes things too personally and comes across as kind of a tool.

Carolina21 on March 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Yes we know. How can we forget. Santorum cries every single day about how he’s outspent. He’s a serial whiner.

Buttercup on March 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I guess you didn’t notice, I posted that not Rick Santorum…
So you think it is okay for a journalist to throw a lie out, and you think it is wrong for a candidate to defend themselves against that lie?
Okay, you have your standards for a candidate I have mine…I can see why you are a Mitt supporter.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Carolina21 on March 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Of course, a candidate should never defend themselves against a journalists lie…what a “fatal” flaw.
That is why McCain did so well…he also decided not to take on the press.
Yeah, best to just sit down and shut up…I can see also with you how you are a Mitt supporter, there seems to be a pattern.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM

But first, we’ll have to dump Willard.

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’m not a Mitt-bot-but it’s time to finish this and take the fight to Zero. Mitt ain’t the enemy-Zero is.
No brokered convention!

Mitt/somebody 2012

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Common sense is never annoying.

Basilsbest on March 26, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Santorum robo-call for Romney in 2008.

“Hello, this is Senator Rick Santorum calling to let you know I am supporting Mitt Romney and urging you to support him next Tuesday.
“As Republican leader in the U.S. Senate, I worked hard to stop the democrats and help pass a conservative agenda. A few senators like John McCain stood in our way. John McCain voted against the president’s tax cuts, worked with Ted Kennedy to pass what many people call amnesty for illegal aliens and he even opposes the marriage amendment that says that marriage is between man and woman.
“As a conservative I don’t agree with McCain on many issues and I don’t think he has the temperament and leadership ability to move the country in the right direction. Please join me and other conservative in voting for Mitt Romney this Tuesday.”

LOL

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Uh. How is he wrong? If you are comparing McCain to Romney, which he is.

I just get amazed at the total lack of integrity with the posters here now. Instead of trying to convince us why their candidate deserves our vote they smear the other candidates and then wonder why people stay home. Ugly and stupid.

And as for the above, yes, what is wrong with it? Are you that dense that you don’t realize the situation was different with different people in it?

But any opportunity to smear. It’s like this board has been taken over by liberals.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Still not a Santorum fan but damn, way to make an alleged journalist allegedly cry like an alleged girl! Sweet, lovely tears of hot shame.

Immolate on March 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

No brokered convention!
Mitt/somebody 2012

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

To the mittbots who fear a brokered convention: It could happen.

To the ABR’s who desire a brokered convention: It may not happen.

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

“We have just as good a chance of getting [to 1,144 delegates] as he [Romney] does,” Richard Santorum Mar 26, 2012.

DELUSIONAL!!!!!

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

DELUSIONAL!!!!!

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Mitt Romney is “severely conservative.”

JUST AS DELUSIONAL!!!!!

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

The problem is a lot of people don’t think Romney will take the fight to Obama. That’s why we’re still having a primary.

What’s the hurry anyways? Let the other states have their vote.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Agreed,… better to have a chance for all of us to have a say..

In 08, the race was over before I ever had a chance to have my vote matter, and that really torked me off, as McCain wasn’t my first or even second choice. So I can understand why late voting states are upset, they never get to vote on a real choice.. so let the primaries end on time..it doesn’t harm anyone.. and it lets the winner proudly say the whole party supported him..

The best outcome I can see..

mark81150 on March 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

You are NO LONGER annoying.

welcome aboard.

gerry-mittbot

gerrym51 on March 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

However, the bolded part is. Extremely.

cptacek on March 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Mitt Romney is “severely conservative.”

JUST AS DELUSIONAL!!!!!

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Really?

Is that why he is winning?

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

That a NYT’s reporter again rabidly distorting a republicans words, gets dressed down in a profoundly satisfying way . .

But why would this particular New York Times reporter distort the words of this particular candidate? Did this front-page reporter, who should know better, have a private, more personal, reason for targeting Santorum?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
;-)

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

From Byron York:

First, after Santorum spoke at some length about Romney’s financial advantage, he was asked to name some states he expects to win. “I think we can do well in Wisconsin,” Santorum said. “I don’t think we can win in Wisconsin, but I think we can do very well in Wisconsin.” Santorum went on to discuss Pennsylvania and several states that hold primaries in May, where he expects to do well.

A few minutes later, Santorum was asked about his statement that he didn’t think he would win Wisconsin. “I didn’t say that,” Santorum said. “I think we can.” When reporters said yes, he did say that, Santorum answered, “Okay, let me pull that back.

It’s quite clear Santorum has jello for brains at this point.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Agreed,… better to have a chance for all of us to have a say..

mark81150 on March 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The problem is that (statistically) half of the people complaining about the state of the race, have ALREADY had their say.

The rest of us haven’t.

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Really?

Is that why he is winning?

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Winning =/= “severely conservative.” In fact, I think it’s reasonable to draw the conclusion after the campaign thus far that being conservative in the true sense is, in fact, a handicap to obtaining the Republican nomination.

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Nonsense. Santorum is highly intelligent and articulate, and has three degrees, including a law degree and an M.B.A. Actually, you’re stupid for making a remark like that.

Heh. Obama has some great degrees on his resume, as well. How is that working out?

Degress do not correlate to intelligence. For example, I bet you have a degree, as well.

No, that applies to you and you fellow astroturfers.

1) Do you know what an astroturfer is?
2) If so, are you sure you’re sane and/or have a normal person’s sense of proportion?

Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT mean they are an “astroturfer,” paid for and/or sent to post by an organization somewhere.

Here’s a clue you may find helpful: Santorum has a snowball’s chance in Hell of winning the GOP nomination, so no one is going to waste money “astroturfing” against his joke of a campaign.

But, but. . . you’re in the 10th grade! Now, beat it!

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Oh, now I understand why you like Santorum so much. You have a grade-school maturity level and a mediocre intellect that matches his! He doesn’t make you feel inferior.

Are you sure you’re out of the 10th grade?

DRayRaven on March 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

BTW, is it family values to curse in front of your daughter on the campaign trail? Just sayin.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Naw. Family values is appearing at a campaign with your father and saying you think Obama is “great.”

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:54 PM

DELUSIONAL!!!!!

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

What do you expect him to say? Vote for me, we have no chance?…

It’s electioneering, hardly a capital crime. I saw earlier that you wrote the “ABR” had better get over their tantrum..before November..

Don’t you think refraining from jabbing them with a sharp stick would make that easier for them? Imagine if Romney were barely holding on, would YOU just give up?.. or fight through to the end?

You may not want any new friends, but I figure there are never enough..

mark81150 on March 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:12 PM

So I guess etch-a-sketch, Mitt saying he doesn’t care about the poor, you are not voting for Mitt either? Or was that “out of context”…how about Mitt praising Obama for taking over businesses, you like that also? How about Mitt supporting and embracing abortion, you like that video?
No doubt, you cannot be supporting Mitt Romney if you think “snippets” of a video is reliable.
How about Mitt saying he is an independent, and not a conservative Republican…you down with that?

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

oh yes, I nearly forgot. Don’t Santorini supporters say college degrees are for smug liberals who live in the Northeast? Why is it all of a sudden a plus for him?

mmmmm smug

antisense on March 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

gryphon202 on March 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I think if Palin were in the primary, she’d be beating Romney and that makes me unpersuaded by your argument.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Man gotta be a man sometimes. Just sayin.

Immolate on March 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

It’s quite clear Santorum has jello for brains at this point.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Do you support abortion?
Global warming (caused by man)?
Cap and Trade?
Three easy questions…for a conservative…

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Working class people are fed up with the poor being given more than they are: food, money, college, cell phones with minutes. I also seem to remember how trendy it was for TruCons to say they aren’t Republicans.

Honestly, this discussion is moot. Romney will win a vast majority of the delegates on April 3rd and 24th.

antisense on March 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM

You can continue to support a nutty loser who has not shot. All your right to. I am looking forward to getting Obama out. Guys like you would have been calling out Reagen big time during his election for being a liberal.

Yeah, pathetic.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Oh man…that’s it, eliminate him from any contention because he say BS to a NYT journalist…you have moved from supporter to creepy cultist.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

From Byron York:

It’s quite clear Santorum has jello for brains at this point.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Technically he’s right. He didn’t say he would, he said he can. Two different meanings, two different words.

What is wrong with you? You are the one with jello for brains as you seem to be incapable of integrity or discernment of subtleties.

Are there any other stupid things you’ve posted that I need to fix? Let me know now so I can save some time.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What do you expect him to say? Vote for me, we have no chance?…

mark81150 on March 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Nah, I expect him to do what is best for the Party and the country (and his future political prospects) and bow out, gracefully, if possible (but I doubt he is capable being graceful).

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Santurom is an idiot as are all of those people wasting their votes on his fail candidacy.

Falz on March 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Didn’t watch the clip, but from the still is that the one that looks about 30? Oh noes her virgin ears.

When a NY Slimes reporter has earned a public dressing down, there’s no bad time or bad words.

Wouldn’t care who was doing the dressing down, just that it was happening. We should all revel in that.

This posters’s a total doof and stretching so far to support Romney that he/she’s beclowned themselves.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

mark81150 on March 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You have the patience of a saint. I enjoy reading your comments.

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Rick Tantorum.

What a tool.

Swerve22 on March 26, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, pathetic.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

First of all, Mitt is the one who stated he was not a Reagan Conservative, remember? Got it pal?
I am supporting Rick, as I would Mitt or anyone else for calling out a journalist that spews a lie…you want to honor the journalist? Let him get away with the lie? Okay, that’s your call, and that is why you are supporting Mitt.
I will explain again, for you nimrods who can only think in black and white, you can only think about your cult leader winning.
I think all three are great leaders, great records, great American’s…each one with different skills.
Mitt’s skills are not as a conservative…that’s obvious to everyone but a cultist.
Rick had every right to defend himself, for the umpteenth time of being lied about…that is a person right, to defend themselves. And I can show you videos of Mitt doing the same. Fighters are who we need…however, because you feel threatened, by someone you say can’t win, you want don’t think it is “right” for him to counter attack an enemy.
BTW what you call a “nutty loser” has won more election campaigns than Mitt…so who is the “loser”?
The only campaign he won was running from the conservatives…Rick had the best senate record for fiscal bills of any senator during his 12 years term…how long did Mitt serve? And was he re-elected?
Oh, well look who is the loser…don’t be such a cultist, be a concerned conservative Republican…but you won’t.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Rick Santorum is an egotistical, tantrum-throwing brat. The man is unelectable, and the longer he prolongs this primary season, the more it helps Obama.

-Ed Morrissey

Ed Morrissey, is this what you want? Does Ed Morrissey want a convention fight? Ed Morrissey, your guy Santorum had his shot, he came up short, and now it’s time for him to make for the exit. If Rick Santorum does not win the Wisconsin primary, then Santorum supporters like you ought to have the decency to call on Santorum to drop out of the race. There’s no point in trying to pretend like Santorum has a chance at the nomination or that he could ever win in the general election. Maybe backing Santorum seemed like a good idea at the time, perhaps as a way to go with the trendy “TrueCon” flavor of the month or to bolster your “TrueCon” cred among conservative blog regulars, but now it’s just beginning to look silly.

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

It’s quite clear Santorum has jello for brains at this point.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Wow he really is stupid! Next thing you know he’s going to be saying stupid stuff like “corpse man”, talking about $1.25 barrels of oil, the “Austrian” language, and using breathalyzers for asthma. Sheesh.

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

and now it’s time for him to make for the exit.

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Even if he had only one delegate so far, there is absolutely no legal requirement for him to take the exit until the day of the GOP convention.

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Remind me of the details, but remember when Bush called a NYT reporter some “horrible” name, it was all over the press…and his polls went up.
It was whispering to Cheney, and they both giggled about the name…the press tried to play it up as being “horrible”, much like these fools are doing with Rick, but it didn’t work and most praised Bush for putting the reporter in line.
Every time a Republican does this, no matter the Republican, they should be praised and honored…it’s the ones like McCain you have to worry about, and we know how that ended.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Or saying he doesn’t care about the poor people…

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

ALERT!!! ALERT!!!
A politician actually shows emotion!!!

Really people?! I mean, it is not like he went screaming after the reporter with his fists up, and then went after the cameraman, knocking the camera out of his hands and breaking it.
Though the above scenario could be applied to almost every tolerant hollywood actor alive today. Hollywood actors who invariably vote democrat and voted for Obama in the last election. Get my drift?

Sterling Holobyte on March 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Maybe. It depends on the family. I’ve cursed in front of my daughter before. And when it happens, I apologize and try to impress on her that it wasn’t the proper way for me to handle my anger. But cursing will happen; it’s nothing worse than what she hears in school or on TV; and it’s how it’s dealt with afterwards that matters to our family.

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Rick Santorum is an egotistical, tantrum-throwing brat.

And you’re not, bluegill? Heh.

You don’t get it. It’s not that we like Santorum that much–it’s just that we can’t stand Willard.

now it’s time for him to make for the exit

Why do the Willard supporters always want the voting to stop? Do they hate democracy? Are they secretly fascists?

it’s just beginning to look silly.

The more you post, the more we detest Willard.

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

You quite obviously don’t have a grasp on the english language.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Heh. Oh noes. lol

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Um, how about Rick Santorum actually do what’s best for the party and the country? There’s a new idea. Rick Santorum thinks this election is all about Rick Santorum. Sorry, it isn’t.

Romney was in a similar situation in 2008, and decided against continuing the fight all the way to the convention because he knew that doing so would only help the Democrats’ chances. If only Santorum now could show 1/10 of the class that Romney showed in 2008.

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

-Ed Morrissey

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Okay, why don’t you tell us why we should vote for Mitt Romney. People are saying that Mitt Romney is not a conservative. What are Mitt Romney’s conservative viewpoints? What did Mitt Romney do that was conservative when he was in office? What does Mitt Romney want to achieve if he is elected? What conservative ideals is Mitt Romney going to champion if elected.

But before that, please tell us how Mitt Romney is going to take the fight to Obama. What is Mitt Romney going to do when confronted with “Romneycare”? How is Mitt Romney going to outshine Obama in the debate(s)?

And before you go, please explain in detail how this helps Obama. As far as I can see, it’s only been helping Mitt Romney as Mitt Romney is learning how to answer questions better and getting used to a difficult process. Do you disagree that Mitt Romney is going to have to deal with a difficult process if Mitt Romney gets out of the primary?

Thank you. I look forward to learning why I should be a Mitt Romney voter rather than a “not Rick Santorum” voter.

PS: It’s Ed’s blog and he can do what he wants. I think he should get rid of you and yours because you add nothing to the conversation (which I’m giving you the opportunity to correct above). Isn’t it nice he doesn’t listen to the peanut gallery?

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Don’t recall that one as all the anti-Bush screeching just kind of became one big screech, but you are spot on.

We have to praise and encourage EACH AND EVERY one to do this.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Here’s a great GOTV strategy! This will convince people to go to the polls in November!

Why do you perceive yourself to be such a hot commodity? If you don’t want to vote for Romney, don’t. Instead of expecting others to convince you to do something, stick with what you believe and stop throwing a fit.

Rusty Allen on March 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

cptacek on March 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

You quite obviously don’t have a grasp on the english language.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

A simple look at the M-W dictionary shows two different meanings to “can” and “would”. I’m not going to bore the crowd with reposting a simple dictionary definition, but the gentle reader can discern the difference.

You really must be a liberal.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

1/10 of the class that [Willard] showed in 2008

Willard is now showing 1/10 of the class that he showed in 2008. He’s asking his opponents to quit in the middle of the game.
Nothing says sportsmanship like running up the score, eh?

Dump Willard.

Before he dumps you.

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM

And who’s determining “what’s best for the party and country”? You?? Why don’t you let the actual candidate and the actual campaign manager make those decisions? (Full disclosure, I didn’t vote for Santorum in IL primary, so I’m no shill for him.)

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

You really must be a liberal.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM

If the poster was a true liberal, “can” and “would” would(!) be racist code words.

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

We have to praise and encourage EACH AND EVERY one to do this.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Here: A great quote…and never an apology…

The Republican presidential candidate George W Bush has said he regrets the fact that people heard him make an insulting comment about a journalist, but he refused to apologize.

Just before a campaign speech in Illinois, Mr Bush said to his running mate Dick Cheney: “There’s Adam Clymer, major league asshole from the New York Times.”

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I guess you didn’t notice, I posted that not Rick Santorum…

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 1:39 PM

What the heck are you talking about? Are you drunk?
I mentioned the very real fact that Santorum whines about being outspent every chance he gets (as do you) so you flail around putting words in my mouth that have no bearing. I don’t think any of that is ok. Get a grip on yourself. Can’t you read? Where did I allude to any of your bs?
And your “I can see why you are a Mitt supporter” nonsense.
I get it, in your tiny mind anyone who hopes to beat Obama is a Mittbot. Ok that’s me alright. Meanwhile Li’l Rickie is coming unglued. It’ll be fun watching you spin yourself into a frenzy defending his loser antics.

Buttercup on March 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Here: A great quote…and never an apology…

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Yep. Wish he did that more often – didn’t apologize and stood up for himself.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Buttercup on March 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Emphasis mine. Who is this a fact to and are you speaking for everyone now?

It’s just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less and certainly not a “very real fact” that he “whines”.

Carry on with your food fight, though.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

We have to praise and encourage EACH AND EVERY one to do this.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

George W. called Adam Clymer an “major leage azzhole”. Conservatives loved it.

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

You beat me.

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

LOL

Buttercup on March 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

By Sarah B. Boxer

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Another conservative leader, American Conservative Union head Al Cardenas, endorsed Republican Mitt Romney for president on Monday.

Following last week’s endorsement from former Fla. Gov. Jeb Bush, Cardenas described Romney as an “honorable, worthy, competent, conservative candidate for our next commander-in-chief.”

In an op-ed in the Daily Caller, Cardenas said he also hoped the primary process will be over as soon as possible. “Every week the primary continues,” he wrote, “Republican chances for victory in November diminish because our sights are not set on our chief goal – defeating President Obama.”

Cardenas likened the drawn-out primary to children in a car asking “Are we there yet?,” and said none of the other candidates have enough delegates to realistically win the race.

Romney’s campaign also announced on Monday the support of Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, and House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif.

g2825m on March 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

What the heck are you talking about? Are you drunk?
And your “I can see why you are a Mitt supporter” nonsense.

Buttercup on March 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Easy turbo…when I posted that Rick was outspent, you responded, that was “alluding” get it? No you won’t, but that is fact, look at my post, and look at your response.
I am a Rick/Newt/Mitt supporter, how foolish of you to think any different, all three have strengths, all three have weaknesses.
So I have no idea what you mean about “spin”…
Rick took a NYT lying journalist down, and I was praising him, and annoyed at others who would have loved for their candidate to do the same, but decided to deride Rick for defending himself…pitiful who obvious the jealousy is.
My main concern is making sure Mitt moves to the right, he is far left of most Republican’s and has been…I would hope that other conservatives would want to hold his feet to the fire and make sure he doesn’t pull a “McCain” on us and lose the elections…a liberal Republican won’t win against a true liberal.
And, yes, I can see that you are a Mitt supporter, you don’t like candidates defending themselves against a lying NYT reporter, or you would have praised him for doing that.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You beat me.

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM

And the liberals whined about it…much like what Rick is getting on this post. I don’t understand it, he does a strong conservative thing, and the Mitt supporters cry and whine about it. I would love it if Mitt did the same, and so would they.
I will never understand putting a personality above policy…it’s kind of like the people who listen to actors, image is everything to some people, substance not so much.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM

“When you cycle up to the front-runner position for a few days it acts like steroids on the ego,” former New Hampshire Gov. John Sununu, a leading Romney surrogate, told POLITICO. “It takes a long time for the steroids to wind out of system. They’re going through a transition period of detox and the stuff has to work its way out of their system. How long it takes is a function of the size of the ego of the loser. It’s not more complicated than that.”

Poor Ricky has an ego problem.

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Quite frankly, I would question any conservative that would believe that a fair shake would be coming from the NYT’s. Not the sharpest tool in the shed. He77 even Brooks the so called conservative hammers the Republicans.

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Santorum the spinmeister gets spun. He has no problem using selective quotes from Romney and his supporters to spin an image of Romney as not much better (if any) than Obama, or not really a Republican, but he gets all hot and bothered if his own words get quoted back at him as anything different than what he meant. When asked about the difference between his support of Romney four years ago and his opposition now, he snaps “I don’t play that kind of game”. By the evidence, playing ‘gotcha’ is fine if he does it against Romney, but not fair if the press does it against him.

In contrast, Romney acts as if a biased press were better than bad press or no press, and uses it rather than fighting it. He hasn’t come to Santorum’s defense (why should he?), but I haven’t seen him piling on, either. Santorum seems perfectly capable of tripping over his own tongue without any help.

Confutus on March 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Conservatives don’t. It’s not us that need to be educated as to how dishonest they are. If Santorum’s rant wakes up even 10 people it was worth it.

This is what we have to fight against. I’m really not understanding why anyone thinks fighting back against a corrupt and biased media is an issue.

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Seriously, though, what a great way to end the first half of the primary season for Santorum. He got a big win in Louisiana on Saturday, and then an opportunity to pull a Newt Gingrich to fire up the base as the ten-day recess starts. That won’t hurt Santorum at all as he aims at Wisconsin’s April 3rd primary, which may not be a must-win for Santorum but comes about as close as it can to one.

Really surprised by your take away form this, Ed. I know you support Rick, and that’s fine, but can’t you see the net-negative of looking this un-presidential in a campaign?

almosthandsome on March 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Reading Mitt’s supporters comments on this thread is why he isn’t converting anyone and still fighting for the nomination.

Spliff Menendez on March 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Spliff Menendez on March 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Yep.

Lightswitch on March 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Spliff Menendez on March 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Don’t need you…he’s already won.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Don’t need you…he’s already won.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Really? He has already beaten Obama?

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Don’t need you…he’s already won.

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Again, great GOTV for November.

cptacek on March 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

When is the last time a lefty called b.s. on the NYT’s. I don’t remember any prior occassion.

rjoco1 on March 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I get your point but think you misunderstand an important aspect of the job. A leader, to lead, must look and act like a leader. Bearing and deportment are important; that is, the way the President carries himself (or herself). Temperament is important–shrill and whiny don’t cut it. Tone of voice, subdued mannerisms, an air of calm all contribute to the whole and make people more likely to listen and to act.

In the Army we called it command presence. I was present at Ft. Bragg in the early 1980′s when the late General James Gavin (ret) give a short speech to 18,000 paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division, the unit he commanded in WWII. Elderly by that time, General Gavin still possessed the ability to inspire simply because of his bearing and his voice, the way he held himself. By the end of his talk, which lasted about 5 minutes, we would’ve followed him anywhere. He had that ability.

Compare and contrast General Gavin’s dignity and self-possession to Santorum’s behavior throughout the primary campaign. There’s a reason why the word ‘presidential’ exists, and–in Santorum’s case–why there’s a word for its opposite.

troyriser_gopftw on March 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Now if Rick uses some of today’s media interest to call out Obama for his hot mic “flexibility” blunder, he’d have another Newt-style moment. Or maybe we’ll hear it directly from Newt. Republicans need to stop being so… conservative when it comes to fighting fire with fire.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Spliff Menendez on March 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Don’t need you…he’s already won(the nomination).

rubberneck on March 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Really? He has already beaten Obama?

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Hey STUPID!!!

Context.

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

troyriser_gopftw on March 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

And why, despite record amount of money spent, Mitt can’t get over 40% of the Republican vote…Does anyone really believe if it was just Rick and Mitt battling it out, even with the huge money disparity, that it wouldn’t be neck and neck, as it has been the past couple of months, with Newt siphoning off many of Rick’s votes (and no a much smaller % would go to Mitt).
Mitt’s repugnant behavior with his personal attack ads against Newt, which Rick called him on and he backed off quickly, was hardly “presidential”.
This is Mitt’s second serious attempt at running for President…and he is not doing so well considering the time, money, and high profile he has worked on for the past six years…as opposed to Rick’s past 6 months.
Rick, Newt, Mitt are all pres material…it’s you and others cultist behavior that diminishes the party.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Hey STUPID!!!

Context.

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I see you had to amend the post to make you look “smart”…try to be more honest, but then you are a Mitt supporter so that stuff comes with effort.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM

In the art of argument, the first one to show anger is the loser. We won nothing. I consider Charles K., a brilliant man and well trained in argument, have you ever seen him lose his temper in an outburst?

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM

‘Cultist behavior’? Not likely. I was undecided until fairly late in the primaries, after Rick Perry blew up in the debates, and then settled on Romney as the most likely among the remaining candidates to defeat Obama.

And the reason Romney can’t get over 40% of the vote, or 22% of the vote, or whatever moving metric you’re assigning on any given day is because the nature of the primaries dictates that the vote will be spread among 2 or 3 or more competitors. Aside from that, Romney is a Northeastern Republican with a blue state governance record. I wouldn’t expect him to be popular in Dixie, for example. Northeastern Republicans never are. And so on.

To your point: no, neither Gingrich nor Santorum have the stuff to defeat Obama in the general: Gingrich because of his volatility (and the target-rich environment that is his personal life) and Santorum largely because of his temperament but also because of his belief that his beliefs should be our beliefs, by God, or at least that is the perception, a perception he has not once attempted to allay. Santorum also claims, for example, that he was nauseated by JFK’s church-and-state separation speech. Watch for yourself. Is Santorum’s response–his nausea–an appropriate response? Is his response to this speech even remotely normal? I would say no, it isn’t. Santorum would be a disastrous nominee. On some level, deep down where it counts, most of you know it.

troyriser_gopftw on March 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I do remember this fine Conservative losing his temper just a bit.

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

seriously, only on the planet you live on, Ed. most people out there saw Santorum for what he is a liar, and a disgusting whiner…

jimver on March 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Anybody know how things are looking up in Wisconsin?

red131 on March 26, 2012 at 10:30 AM

43 degrees F and cloudy… Overall a nice march day.

Green_Bay_Packers on March 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Best on Rmoney getting testy. Its actually funnier then it is angry.

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Santorum is completely unhinged. He also has no class. None.

V7_Sport on March 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Okay do some of you people see what you’re going to get because you don’t want Mitt as the nominee?

The president who blames everyone else for his problems vs. the guy who whines about everything.

the eternal victim vs. the eternal crybaby

It’s Dr. Phil’s wet dream come true.

Pcoop on March 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

This has the part of Santorums speech that the reporter was referencing. (Tat strangely didn’t make it up in HotAir)
No, it wasn’t a BS question. Santorum is a no class, low bred crybaby who shouldn’t e elected dog-catcher.

V7_Sport on March 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I think the campaign trail and the pressure are getting to Rick. Maybe a day off is in order. There is a lag between contests now. Easter is coming. Take a nap, Rick.

Philly on March 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

The more you post, the more we detest Willard.

Emperor Norton on March 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Living in your head, rent free!

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 5:26 PM

troyriser_gopftw on March 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Great comment and not just because I agree. I’ve always perceived Santorum as someone who is tightly wound and often close to seething beneath the surface.

I was shocked when Palin announced her support for Gingrich and appalled when Morrissey came out for Santorum. Each would lose in a landslide as the election would be about them rather than Obama’s failed policies and the need for a proven executive to take the helm.

Basilsbest on March 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I knew that you were too stupid to grasp the continuity of the context being the “nomination” so I added some clarification so you might grasp it.

But then you are an ABRtard so that stuff comes with effort. And sometimes not even then.

Gunlock Bill on March 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM

ahhh, rick’s “sicilian temper”. good for the white house

gemini on March 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM

troyriser_gopftw on March 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM

What if some of us (at least me) thinks all three are disastrous and is hoping one of them, somewhere, somehow does something that rebuts that feeling?

kim roy on March 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Come on… Sometimes a kick in the teeth is a really fun thing to watch.

RalphyBoy on March 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I do remember this fine Conservative losing his temper just a bit.

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

As sure as we all have, but my point remains the same. Anger outburst do not help your argument.

DDay on March 26, 2012 at 6:41 PM

This happened during the Maine governor’s race last year, the conservative candidate called out a reporter’s BS.

The media had palpatations, the lefties said he was on a hair trigger, but his polls shot up.

Believe me, the people WANT to hear these MSM liars called on it.

Tom C on March 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Let me help you out, Senator Douchebag. Appropriate response — mockery…delivered with laughter or derision and a very calm tone.

Example: “Jeff, aren’t you the guy who wanted to know how “enchanted” Obama was with his new job? Maybe you should try writing children’s books or something.”

Jaibones on March 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM