Ryan: I’d have to consider an invitation to join the Republican ticket

posted at 11:00 am on March 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Some Republicans have spent the last week wringing their hands over the new budget proposal from House Budget chair Paul Ryan. Others have suggested that Ryan’s solid credentials and straightforward manner on spending make him an obvious choice as running mate for the eventual Republican presidential nominee. Fox’s Chris Wallace asked Ryan the question on yesterday’s Fox News Sunday, and Ryan didn’t exactly rule out the idea:

“Well, I’m already the point guy for doing it in the House,” Ryan said. “I just don’t know the answer to your question, Chris. It is not a bridge I have even come close to crossing. It is a decision that somebody else makes a long time from now. And, quite honestly, I am focused on doing my job in Congress, which I think is important, which is to give the country and alternative choice of two futures on how we save and strengthen America, how we save the American dream from what I think is this path the president has put us on to debt and decline. So, I can’t answer that question. I haven’t given enough thought to that.”

But Ryan didn’t close the door completely to the possibility, saying he would “consider” it.

“I would have to consider it, but it’s not something I am even thinking about right now because I think our job in Congress is pretty important,” Ryan said. “And what we believe we owe the country is if we don’t like the direction the president is taking us, which we don’t — we owe them a specific sharp contrast and a different path they can select in November and doing this in Congress is really important. That’s why I think I have a real good job right now.”

Ryan doesn’t count himself out of the Veepstakes with this answer, of course, and he shouldn’t be out of the running. (Marco Rubio was more categorical in his demurrals.) Ryan has considerably more experience in Congress than Rubio, having served since 1999, although he has only been chair of the Budget Committee for fourteen months. Both have considerable political skills, and few in the GOP can match Ryan’s level of seriousness on budget issues as well as his skill in explaining them. Ryan’s patient, non-combative style would mesh well with a presidential nominee without running the risk of overshadowing him.

However, Ryan lacks executive experience, and as a member of the House has a smaller constituency than a Senator or a Governor. Ryan might or might not carry Wisconsin for a national ticket, and it’s unlikely that his influence would go much farther than his House district. For a clean-up-Washington ticket and a clear contrast between the two former Senators on the opposing ticket, the eventual Republican nominee will probably want a governor — and considering the two at the front of the GOP race at the moment, it’s more likely they’ll need a Southern governor at that.

Besides, Ryan does have an important job in this session, and taking the Budget chair out of the House in August just as the budget votes start getting scheduled in Congress will mean sidelining our best talent for that effort.

Comments

I heart Paul Ryan, but he would be wasted in the VP slot. We need a budget genius to get us out of the mess we are in right now. He is golden where he is now.

txmomof6 on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Somebody, ANYBODY! Buehler?

LeftCoastRight on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Stay where you are ryan

cmsinaz on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Agree txmom

cmsinaz on March 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’m a huge fan of Paul Ryan and I wish he was running for President, but he would be absolutely wasted in the VP slot. He is doing more important work as the House Budget Committee chairman. If Mitt Romney becomes the nominee, we’re going to need Paul Ryan writing the budget.

Caiwyn on March 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

i still think you’re right about Matrinez, Ed.

beatcanvas on March 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

txmomof6 on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Wow, you beat me to it, almost verbatim. :D

Caiwyn on March 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I agree. We need him in the House right now.

Bitter Clinger on March 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

it’s unlikely that his influence would go much farther than his House district.

Ryan may not be the VP contender most likely to garner specific voting blocks, his influence certainly extends beyond his own district– Far beyond.

Slainte on March 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM

txmomof6 on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I really agree…as much as I really, really would love to see Paul Ryan one step away from the Presidency (and with, then, also Presidential destination of his own later), I see his work in the House as being very important and very potent. I’d also hate to see Ryan beaten down in ideas and enthusiasm by a V.P. placement that seems to thrive on draining individuals from any sense they may have had.

I also feel this way about Rubio…we really need talent in the House, not to mention gaining more talent in the Senate.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

But, it just feels encouraging to say and to write this:

Romney/Ryan 2012.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

However, Ryan lacks executive experience

Does that even matter anymore?

LoganSix on March 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Paul Ryan was on my short list for President… while I am unhappy he didn’t run, at least he is doing his job; unlike so many other people in congress.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM

*AND* I continue to hope for the time in our nation when political office is filled by “non demographic” individuals, people who are appealing due to who they are, what their abilities and ideas and goals are and not by what their gender and DNA is.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Besides, Ryan does have an important job

Speaker of the House would be the next appropriate job for Ryan. Stop with the tears, show some guts.

LoganSix on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I agree about Ryan.
I’m still pushing Mitt/Jindal.
Jindal would give Mitt youth, conservative gravitas, and a TON of experience.
Birthers: GFY

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I say no, for multiple reasons. First, Ryan is a rising star that shouldn’t hitch his wagon to a losing ticket. Second, having Ryan on the ticket is not as much of a boon, as he will not help winning any state and will be reliably demonized by the left. And third, even though he might be head and shoulders over the current field, Ryan is not as much a conservative as many paint him to be.

I want to see Ryan as an eventual Speaker; that’s where he’ll shine.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Ryan’s been my #1 choice for a long time now. Executive experience won’t matter with him since Romney has that covered. As for carrying Wisconsin, I never really thought he’d make a difference in that regard. If he does swing that state to Mittens, that’s just an added bonus(and would likely all but clinch the election for the GOP).

I disagree that a governor would be better for a “clean-up-Washington” ticket. No one has been at the forefront of the national debate for reigning in spending(particularly on entitlements) more than Paul Ryan. Why not just go for broke if you’re Romney and make that individual your running mate? If the Dems are inevitably gonna demonize and lie to the American people about Ryan’s budget, have him out there every day on the campaign trail destroying the left with cold hard facts.

Doughboy on March 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Romney and the GOP need to name some really unusually *big* talent for V.P. with Romney’s ticket. Like, say, The Rock or someone like that. O.K., it was just a suggestion.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m sure you guys will hate him soon enough once he doesn’t pass some litmus test or doesn’t act crazy enough like Sanitarium.

tomas on March 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

its all about putting the winning combination together. If polling says Ryan, so be it. If its Jindal, or DeMint or Huckabee, I dont care.

Just win, baby.

joepub on March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Ryan is a rising star that shouldn’t hitch his wagon to a losing ticket…

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

EVERYbody, practice and repeat this until perfect: Anyone But Obama.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’m still pushing Mitt/Jindal.
Birthers: GFY

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I have no problem with Jindal’s biography nor with his intelligence or conservative cred; it’s Rubio that sets my Birther siren on. One problem with Jindal is that he’s perceived as wonkishly boring, and that’s not a quality to match well with Mitt who is himself about as exciting as a boxful of sleeping pills.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Just win, baby.

joepub on March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

THERE ya’ go! Just win, baby.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

EVERYbody, practice and repeat this until perfect: Anyone But Obama.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

ABO-except for Paul.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

LoganSix on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

ding ding ding we have a winner ……

conservative tarheel on March 26, 2012 at 11:16 AM

It will be Rubio.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Huckabee would be good

tomas on March 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The first time I heard of Rubio was early 2009ish. I thought then this guy will be the VP nominee in 2012. If the GOP doesn’t put him on the ticket, the stupid party will officially become the idiotic party.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Jindal and Rubio were both born to parents who were legal residents.
LEGAL.
Jindal was my absolute FIRST choice for 2012.
A Perry/Jindal ticket would have been unbeatable.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Ryan is a rising star that shouldn’t hitch his wagon to a losing ticket…

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

EVERYbody, practice and repeat this until perfect: Anyone But Obama.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’ll vote for anyone running on Republican ticket whose middle name is not “Hussein” – even if they nominate Hillary Clinton and Russ Feingold. Those two can at least be credited with loving the country, if in entirely wrong way; Obama hates it with a passion of a tribal kinglet.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

It will be Rubio.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I think you’re likely right there.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Do you really think liberals want to go there?

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Ryan would be a good OMB Director — or, as some others have suggested — he should just stay in the House where he is doing a remarkable job.

As for the VP nom, I disagree that Romney (let’s be honest, he’s the nominee now) needs to choose a Southern governor; I don’t think he should choose a governor at all. No ticket of two governors has ever won a general election. Usually, a balance between a governor and someone with national and/or international experience has a stronger argument.

youknowit on March 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I think Feingold is a lukewarm liker of America. He’s not going to be waving a flag anytime soon, but I don’t think he’d burn one either.

But Hillary? No way. She is of the same mindset as Obama. Blame America first, look to the world for SCOTUS guidance, etc.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Stay where you are Ryan…

Romney/Huckabee 2012

gatorboy on March 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Why does everyone forget about his awful fiscal voting record?

Notorious GOP on March 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

txmomof6 on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ditto.

Stay where you are ryan

cmsinaz on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ditto.

Caiwyn on March 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Ditto.

But, it just feels encouraging to say and to write this:

Romney/Ryan 2012.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ditto. (However, see above.)

rogaineguy on March 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Rubio for VP. Ryan for Speaker.

p40tiger on March 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Why does everyone forget about his awful fiscal voting record?

Notorious GOP on March 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If you’re going to forget Romney’s record, why not go all the way and forget Ryan’s as well.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Jindal and Rubio were both born to parents who were legal residents.
LEGAL.
Jindal was my absolute FIRST choice for 2012.
A Perry/Jindal ticket would have been unbeatable.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The issue is the particular, special requirements for the Executive Branch (Presidency, V.P.): “natural born” AS a U.S. citizen (and then age and length of residency within the U.S.).

“Natural born” is the critical requirement and it’s also the ongoing issue of disagreement as to what it means and why it’s there as a requirement — AND Congress recently hasn’t helped much with this after even the Democrats declared (with Obama agreeing) that “natural born” as a citizen is defined as a citizen who is ‘born to two U.S. citizens’.

So, yes, a citizen is “legal”. But not all “legal” citizens are “natural born.”

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Jindal and Rubio were both born to parents who were legal residents.
LEGAL.
Jindal was my absolute FIRST choice for 2012.
A Perry/Jindal ticket would have been unbeatable.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM

There is a lingering doubt about the legality of Rubio’s parents. I’ll welcome him in 2016 or 2020, but right now I have a feeling that the Republican nominee *must* preserve the Birther card as the last Trump (pun intended) card if things get hairy by November.

Perry might be an inspiring leader and a magnificent governor but he proved to be dumber than a bag of rocks, and I never liked his Hispandering. It can be argued whether he’d be better than Mitt but he’s certainly not the knight in shining armor many expected him to be in 2011.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Who said I’m voting for Romney? I just laugh at all the people who will march, in lockstep, to vote for either of these guys to be the head of the party that represents fiscal sanity.

Notorious GOP on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

This guys budget proposal doesn’t even balance for 30 years, what a joke! Him wanting to be VP: also a joke.

FloatingRock on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

“It doesn’t matter who Mitt Romney’s VP pick is!”

Doughboy on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I love Ryan, but I don’t think he really helps the ticket. Neither he nor Romney are really good retail/stump politicians. Rubio fills that void and should help put a dent into Obama’s latino marjorities (or “Lahtinossss” as Obama would put it). If he helps to deliver us Florida, we win.

The Count on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

His current position is 100 times more important than VP.

EddieC on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

it’s more likely they’ll need a Southern governor at that.

And why would that be? Are we in danger of losing the South? Or is our party in such a shamble that only by “firing up the base” (which didn’t work last time) will we win?

Wouldn’t it be far wiser to pick someone from a battleground like the Midwest or West? Snyder, Sandoval, Martinez, Kasich, and the like?

KingGold on March 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Notorious GOP on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I didn’t mean you specifically. I was referring to the collective you. I agree with you. People will vote for anything with an “R” next to it, no matter if the “R” is more left than the “D”. It’s all about my team beating your team for these people.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Considering all that’s happened and the attacks that will come on women and latino issues, I think Martinez is his most likely pick right now, but Ryan, Rubio, and Jindal are all possibilities.

RepublicanInMA on March 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM

“It doesn’t matter who Mitt Romney’s VP pick is!”

Doughboy on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

GOP Ticket: Landslide in November 2012.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM

The pres is making behind our backs deals with the Commies and we’re going to preserve America with two bean-counters; One rich man with an Etch-a-sketch for a moral compass, and now, a back up calculator to scare away those who would steal away or freedom and our consciences (which apparently have ago deserted us)

Don L on March 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Good. Thanks for the clarification.

Notorious GOP on March 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

KingGold on March 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Look at the polls. When the base was fired up, with Palin, McCain went from -5% to +5% in the polls within a week. Then McCain suspended his campaign and started telling his own rallies they had nothing to fear from Obama. Then we went back down to -5% and stayed there.

VA, NC will go for OBama most likely. GA is a toss up. So yes, the South is in danger for the GOP.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Obama and Hillary had the same teacher in Saul Alinsky but their reasons for sticking to his tutelage are different. Both Clintons see America as their private property, whereas Obama sees it as an enemy. While I’d love to see them all take a very long walk off a short peer, I’d root for Hillary without a shadow of doubt were the choice limited to her and Obama.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM

FloatingRock on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

It took 50 years to build up the debt, do you expect it to be resolved in 5 minutes?

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

AT THIS TIME, yes. It’s critical — as in, C.R.I.T.I.C.A.L — to get Obama out and someone from the GOP. The Democrats and especially Democrat Obama, have ruined this nation and many of our nation’s future years; they need to be replaced.

So, at this time, many of us are committed to voting for the “R” ticket. Individuals DO matter, not the “team” in blind obedience, but at this present time, the team DOES matter.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I’m actually glad that Perry’s staying in TX.
We need him here right now.
Zero’s been playing reindeer games with my state-and Perry’s not putting up with them.
Molon Labe!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Huckabee would be good

tomas on March 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Huckabee is an interesting choice. He doesn’t overly excite me by any measure but he is a former Southern governor who is popular with the SoCon portion of the base that Romney has so much trouble with.

Bitter Clinger on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I’m “of Southern heritage” and considerably so BUT in our present time, that the South as a Region is “in danger for the GOP” really makes voters there look absurdly irresponsible, especially as to those there who are Obama supporters. I mean, it just calls to question “them” and NOT the GOP.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I am not a birther(duh!) and I will campaign against ANY and EVERY pol that I am able to vote for that goes down that road.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Dumb much? There is a world of difference between balancing the budget and paying off the debt.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM

This^^^

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I like Rep Thaddeus McCotter (R) Michigan for Vice President.

Ryan holds no appeal for me.

Dr Evil on March 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

One either supports what the Constitution says or one doesn’t.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Leftist media is always pushing effective conservative leaders in Congress to run for another office. It would reduce the cohesion and power of the conservatives and make filling their seats an uncertain prospect. The best choice for vice-president is someone recently out of office who is sitting on the sidelines bench.

scrubjay on March 26, 2012 at 11:38 AM

One either supports what the Constitution says or one doesn’t.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

You’re sounding like a Ronulan.
Stop it.

I tend to ignore birthers. I like you and would rather not have to do that.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

No shit.

And it will take time to do both. It took 50 years to get the country into the mindset of freebie, gimme, gimme, gimme, 50% pay no taxes. It will take 50 years to unravel this. Which means it will take decades before there is the political will to balance the budget and start reducing the debt.

But what I just typed is more than what your feeble brain can process since it isn’t a 10 second talking point spoken by your favorite talk show hots.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Dr Evil on March 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Ryan would have been my congressman had we moved north(to Wisconsin) rather than southwest(to Texas).

annoyinglittletwerp on March 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM

The look of embarrassment and anger on Obama’s face when Ryan gave him a blistering public deconstruction of Obamacare smoke and mirrors scam financing, before a national audience, was classic. That’s why “president Petulant” dissed Ryan at his SOTU speech.

Ryan has a tendency to get a little too book wonkish in his explanations of the budegetary problems facing the country, but I have no doubt he would evicerate Obama and VP hairplugs Biden combined, in any debate.

Cavalry on March 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM

The South of 2012 is not the South of 2000 or 1990. NoVa has grown so much over the past 10-20 years that the state of VA as a whole is no longer “The South”. Same with Charlotte and NC. And while not as pronounced, Atlanta has been and is attracting a lot of out of stater residents and eventually GA will no longer be “the South”. As I’m sure you’re aware, Florida used to be as Southern as any other state. Things change over time.

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM

If Mitt is the nominee, we will need as strong as Senate as we possible can to take up the slack from the White House…Stay where you are Paul.
However, if someone else was nominated, someone with more economic experience (Newt or Rick) than he would be a great VP.

right2bright on March 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

One either supports what the Constitution says or one doesn’t.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Stop this line of argument. Now.

There is no way on God’s green earth that the Supreme Court is going to rule that a person born on United States soil, to parents who did not have explicit allegiance to a foreign country, and who is subject to the jursidiction of this country his whole life, is not a natural-born citizen.

Birtherism is disgusting no matter who the target is.

KingGold on March 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Romney/Huckabee?? Interesting…

Rep. Ryan is doing GREAT work in the House… he needs to stay there a little longer…

Khun Joe on March 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I would too…

His rhetoric doesn’t match his voting record.

liberal4life on March 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I absolutely hate these kinds of answers, because they are quite obviously blatant lies. Of course he has thought about it. His name has been bandied about for months as a potential Republican VP nominee. Who wouldn’t be thinking about it? Stop talking in political-speak.

And, as good as Paul Ryan is, I’m not sure even he is bold enough to do the things that need to be done. His budget proposal, the one being hailed as the savior of the country by the right and outright evil by the left, doesn’t balance the budget for, what, 20-some years? That’s absurd. If we’re serious about salvaging the fiscal train wreck that is the federal government, the budget needs to be balanced immediately. Like, next year. Regardless of how much “pain” that causes.

Shump on March 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Romney/Huckabee?? Interesting…

Khun Joe on March 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

No Romney will Rubio on the ticket which will doom him.

A Mormon/former Mormon ticket is something the Bible belt cant wait to vote for

liberal4life on March 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The argument about “show hots” (sic!) reveals you out as a paid Dem troll, which is what I always suspected. For a paid shill, you really should develop a thicker skin. Even worse for you, the argument is a crapshot since I don’t even have a TV. :)

Now, more to the point. We do not have fifty years; in fact, I suspect that we don’t even have ten. It took combined effort of all European countries and the Fed slow Greece down on their way to Hell; nobody is capable of pulling us out. So the budget will pretty soon cut itself whether there is any political will for it or there isn’t. Laws of mathematics always win.

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

KingGold on March 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

What about a person born outside United States soil, to a parent who had an explicit allegiance to a foreign country, and who was not a subject to American jurisdiction for a significant part of his life?

Archivarix on March 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Do I want the debt to be resolved in 5 minutes? No. But I want the budget to be balanced from year-to-year. And I want that to happen immediately. The country will not survive another 20-30 years of adding to the national debt. We will collapse. And then all these arguments about how gradually we need to fix things and building up the political will to do so and all that will be irrelevant.

It is possible to balance the budget immediately. And it can be done without throwing old ladies off of cliffs and seeing little children go hungry in the streets. To argue, as Ryan is doing, that we need close to 30 years to make that happen is ridiculous.

To be clear, I agree that taking care of our debt will take a long time and will be a slow and gradual process. Taking care of our deficit, though, should not be and cannot be if we are to survive as a nation.

Shump on March 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM

FloatingRock on March 26, 2012 at 11:24 AM

angryed on March 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ryan’s budget doesn’t even balance for 30 years, let alone pay down the debt.

FloatingRock on March 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ryan would crush Biden in a debate because facts matter.And he would hammer Obama on the campaign trail because he is light years smarter than the ONE.
He should be at the top of the ticket but whoever picks him wins.

Thicklugdonkey on March 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Ryan should only be the choice if the party was truly dedicated to “having it out” with the American people on entitlements. Polling after the first demonization period of Ryan’s Budget showed even REPUBLICANS were opposed to real change. I’m not sure we’re ready to make Ryan the sacrificial lamb.

AYNBLAND on March 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Does anybody really worry about executive experience when considering a VP? How hard is it to attend state funerals and occasionally bang a gavel in the US Senate? If Joe Biden can do the job a smart person like Ryan certainly is capable.

That being said, Ryan is probably the wrong choice for the simple fact that he is doing more where he is than he would as understudy to Romney. Plus, I think an outside DC ticket is compelling what with all the corruption, mismangement, bad stewardship, and individual politicians willing to sacrifice principle in the name of compromise.

Happy Nomad on March 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ryan would crush Biden in a debate because facts matter.

Thicklugdonkey on March 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I bet he does a better impression of a 7-11 clerk too.

Happy Nomad on March 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM

txmomof6 on March 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I agree, but I disagree. Paul is nothing but an echo of a voice in his current position, and will remain that way unless the GOP can take control of the Senate. As long as Reid is allowed to stink up Congress, nothing will ever pass through, much less garner an actual vote.

It’s time to focus on the fact that retaining control of the house, and taking over control of the Senate are infinitely more important than the presidential race. If the Senate remains with the liberals and Obozo wins, all hell will break loose with Obozo not saddled with playing the game because there will be nothing for him to lose with all of his bonehead policies.

stacman on March 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Romney/Ryan 2012.

Lourdes on March 26, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Then:

Romney 4 President 2012

Romney 4 Impeachment 2013

Valkyriepundit on March 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It was at that very moment that I really wanted him on a 2012 ticket against the Sociopathic Socialist.

Right Mover on March 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Here’s why I think this is intriguing. Let’s just assume, for example, that a Romney/Ryan ticket wins in 2012. And that Ryan is actually the point guy for the administration on budgets and real economic and fiscal reform.

If, and that’s a big if, R&R can sell the long-term bitter medicine that needs to be taken by this country, and we have a core group of fiscal hawks in Congress, then we’ll start seeing budgets over the next eight years that bring us back to sanity.

Ryan becomes even more of a rock star than he already is. If we start to see our economy start to turn around and make solid strides, then he heads the ticket in 2020.

We’re looking at the possibility of the next 16 years being driven in the White House by presidents who have the chops to turn this hell bound ship around.

That’s not a bad thing, gang.

Yes, there are a boatload of “Ifs” in this scenario. But it is certainly is a better looking scenario than just about anything else begin offered.

nukemhill on March 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If I were Mitt Romney, and was looking at making a serious run at Obama, I would ask Ryan not to stand too close to me….Go away kid you bother me, W.C. Fields :)

Dr Evil on March 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The Dems will do anything possible to derail a Republican plan that makes sense. Ryan would be saved that exercise in futility, and get a national stage to shine light on the plan. It may be the best chance for the plan’s success.

contrarytopopularbelief on March 26, 2012 at 12:51 PM

nukemhill on March 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Only if Mitt Romney thinks he’s not handicapped his candidacy enough, and needs to add another drag on his campaign. Seriously who thinks that Ryan’s plan appeals to the middle class or the working class? These are the same people Romney already has a problem with.

Dr Evil on March 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM

First time poster long time lurker.Born in Mexico,can somebody explain to me who these latinos and hispanics i hear mention here are?

pacificcon on March 26, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Please no. He’s saying the right things now, but let’s not forget that he voted for TARP and the bailouts. He also lacks any executive experience. Creating financial charts and explaining them for the masses does not make one qualified to run the country.

How about Allen West instead? He’s newer to politics, but has extensive executive experience in the military.

Common Sense on March 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Great leaders look ahead

I have long liked Mitt even though he looks as left to me as he does to most of you.

With the expertise and foresight of Romney and Ryan we might be better off.

It is not just the budget. It is the stupid way the whole show has been run for decades.

Gas prices are not our President’s fault? See al the articles making that point?

How dumb can you get?

How about the fact that Saudi Aramco (A nice organization and princes in their region despite what you might think.)can boost production to 13.5 mbbd if necessary?

We had price spikes before. Every 30.2 months by one estimate. But all we do is buy oil and shove it in the ground.

Then they make fun of Palin et. al. for Drill, here drill now.

How much capacity could we have if we drilled from, say, Jan 2008 to the present? And even capped the wells?

Gas will go up and it should in any reasonable market with what is going on.

We have treasure going to green experiments that don’t work and spiraling crude costs. While the poor and working families pay the price.

I know our President cares about those people and would agree with me. He messed up, big time.

IlikedAUH2O on March 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

His current position is 100 times more important than VP.

EddieC on March 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM

..if we get the Senate…a trillion times more!

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My two cents–No Huckabee on the ticket, then, now or in the future–for what it is worth (yeah, just two cents.)

jazzuscounty on March 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Romney/Rubio
Romney/Ryan
Romney/Daniels
Romney/Jindal

They all sound good to me!

MJBrutus on March 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM