Romney hits Obama: Russia is our “number one geopolitical foe”; Update: Video fixed

posted at 9:27 pm on March 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

An odd line in the course of an otherwise solid attack on Obama’s dumb “hot mic” comment this morning. As you’ll see, he has something specific in mind with the term “foe” and it’s not equivalent to “threat,” but I think most people who see the soundbite version of this clip will understand it that way and come away puzzled. If you gut-check Americans on what our biggest foreign-policy problem is, the answers you’re most likely to get, I’ll bet, are Iran, Pakistan/Al Qaeda, and China. Russia is, as Romney says, frequently a stumbling block to America’s agenda abroad — look no further than Syria — but I think most of the public sees it as a fading power whose primacy of place in U.S. threat assessments was lost after the Cold War. Seems odd for the presumptive GOP nominee to suddenly name them public enemy number one.

Doesn’t much matter, as the point here is to attack Obama, not Russia, and Romney does a good job of it. Can’t wait for that first Romney/Putin summit, though. Oh well: At least our “number one geopolitical foe” won’t be surprised when European missile defense is suddenly back in vogue.

Update: Sorry, had the wrong video posted initially.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I completely agree! There is no better person in the country to turn around around our economy and restore American prestige to the world.

MJBrutus on March 27, 2012 at 5:26 AM

There is NO BETTER PERSON? Really? So if you had your choice of any American right now to be president, you’d still choose Romney. You’re either a paid shill or you have a poster of Mitt on your mom’s basement bedroom wall.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Happy now?

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM

See.. you can be reasonable… :P..

and I’m usually if not happy, at least not unhappy.. Keep on punching Ed, there’s nothing wrong with dissent,.. my only concern is we can still shake hands after,,

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It’s all good,.. if you weren’t a fair minded guy we wouldn’t have much to talk about. You certainly aren’t over the top, no.. just a gentleman’s disagreement over trivia..

I still enjoy your posts.

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Same to you.

I get along with most on here and agree to disagree with some but others who post here are LOOKING for confrontation rather than posting their opinions and thoughts and having an adult conversation. There are some posters that CANNOT admit when their candidate makes a huge blunder, and like the MSM, rallies the wagons around and starts firing off at anyone approaching the circle.

I admit there are snark commenters on the Romney side and I just brush by them and do not respond, however, there are also several posters that LIKE to provoke Romney supporters as well. So it is on BOTH sides. What is ironic is that if I met the majority of posters on this site we would agree on 95% of conservative thought and yet because I and others support Romney we are called RINO’s which is just laughable. :o)

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

See.. you can be reasonable… :P..

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I agree. But sadly you are in a very small minority of Romney people who see things this way. Most are of the “Romney is God and everyone else is an idiot” variety. See Break, Jail and Gill, Blue as Exhibits A and B.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

That’s not ironic Alanis.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Angry…
Mark is NOT a Romney supporter originally and is just coming around lately to seeing that we all eventually get behind him IF he is the nominee.

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Angry…

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Well that just proves my point even more. He’s reasonable and not a Romney supporter.

I know that most Republicans will get behind Romney. I just hope that the % that doesn’t is big enough to make a difference and give Obama the win. I think Romney burned so many bridges over the past year that the % of ABRs will be 5% or so. This may not sound like a lot. But 5% of a big number is still a big number. And when some states will be decided by a few thousand votes, that 5% will come into play.

Even if it’s 1%, it could be enough to swing some really close states. And Romney has nobody to blame but himself for it. He could have campaigned as a centrist while throwing cons a bone every now and then. Instead he took the bone and beat us over the head with it then when we complained he told us to go to hell. Well fine, you do what you do, I’ll do what I do and that’s actively campaign against him.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I was commenting earlier with you and wondering if you received any incentive pay for the extended time in Iraq.

smoothsailing on March 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

That certainly is true, and I do try and restrain myself from blaming only one side. It’s an easy trap to fall into, especially since while I was convinced by you to shift my support to Mitt Romney, with some concerns.. I agree he is our best chance to win right now.. I still have friends and sympathies with the Santorum camp. If it looks like I lean towards just being critical of Romney’s supporters comments, then that’s something I’ll work on correcting.

I do note have hard feelings for either candidate, or for Newt’s supporters.. even Paul whom I have strong feelings against, his voters are sincere, I’ll grant them that.

My fear is after all is said and done, some will still feel disenfranchised enough to stay home. I feel the best way to prevent that is to let the primaries play out, so no one can say they didn’t have a chance to be heard with any honesty. The old fashioned American style of politics.. we tear up the countryside.. but when it’s over,

we come together and do the job. With no hard feelings.

That’s what I hope we can achieve.

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM

And come on. Romney is not alarmed. This is the exact type of behavior Romney approves of. Go along to get along. Don’t ruffle any feathers. Don’t be a cowboy. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.
Only difference between Obama and Romney on this, I think Romney would have been smart enough to make sure he was far away from an open mic when speaking candidly.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

we come together and do the job. With no hard feelings.

That’s what I hope we can achieve.

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM

So after being called a redneck, toothless, uneducated moron for the past 18 months by Romney and his peeps, (and those are the nicer things he’s said about cons), we’re supposed to just smile, shrug and say let bygones be bygones? Sorry dude, not happening.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Just as the remark, with Sarkosy, Obama was deliberate how he felt about Netanyahu, as he does with Medvedev. At the time, the RINO’s
were debating New START in the lame duck session, Romney did speak out, so it is par for the course,

narciso on March 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Don’t ruffle any feathers. Don’t be a cowboy. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ed, based on his comments in that interview, you cannot believe he honestly approved of the Presidents behavior in this case. He’s starting to show a little bit of backbone against President Obama here. It needs to be encouraged.

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM

With whom will you be actively campaigning against with, what other candidate?

Do you have someone more capable in mind, or is your protest void of an alternative candidate ?

FlaMurph on March 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

That’s just it though. He’ll say what he knows you want to hear, at this point in time. Give it a week and he’ll say something different, when the Etch a Sketch is shaken.

Romney is the very definition of go along to get along. Work with the other side. Compromise. Reach across the aisle. Negotiate. Give a little to get the other side on board. It’s how he would work with Democrats and it’s how he would work with Russia, China, etc.
I don’t care what he says. I care what he’s done. And everything he’s done in his past indicates he is a squish who will get rolled over by his opponents, be they foreign or domestic.

Every time someone brings up his record in MA, you guys defend him by saying, well he had to deal with Dems in the MA legislature. So he couldn’t figure out a way to outsmart a bunch of Democrats in the state house, but he’s going to outsmart Vladimir Putin. Think about that one for a second.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM

With whom will you be actively campaigning against with, what other candidate?

FlaMurph on March 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM

People I would like to see president.

– a whole bunch of people
– the guy who cleans up dog poop at the park
– the parking attendant downtown
– a million more people
– Mitt Romney

Does that answer your question?

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Seemed sincere to me.

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Mitts response made the Prez look stronger, sometimes you should let the surrogates do the questioning, Mitt looked like a challenger in the Vid.

boogaleesnots on March 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Russia is still arming our biggest enemies that are in fact killing our troops today. And we’re upset that a candidate we didn’t like had the balls to call them out instead of playing patty cake with them. Medevev took aim at Romney’s comments today. Good. I hope it serves them notice that if Owebama goes they are done treating us as pushovers. I’m sorry please feel free now to go back to bashing Romney.

Minnfidel on March 27, 2012 at 11:43 AM

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ed, we’ve all been libeled at one point or another.. you aren’t alone in being angry about that… and you have every right to vote and act as you see fit. I certainly don’t deny that.

I’m just hoping we can reconcile enough to at least agree to do this one thing,.. defeat Obama. If your conscience takes you elsewhere,.. then.. that is your right.

I just hope too many don’t share that sentiment.

But just the fact that you and many do feel that way, maybe there is some good in that. No party should be filled with only those who follow the party line, there should some dissent from orthodoxy, or it becomes a stagnate dead thing. Never changing or adapting.

If you really feel that way Ed,.. God be with you, and I hope it works out for the best..

I just hope we can learn to treat each other better.. certainly the white collar disdain many Romney commenters express towards the working class and working poor grates on me as well. It’s a mindless stereotype.. Yet, some of the criticism of Romney’s faith and family are terrible too.. there is some wildly dark stuff thrown around..

You’ve shown here, you aren’t just a sterotype, you do believe in the principles you hold dear.. that’s in your favor.. but many on this side are decent folks too.. that gets lost amid the fast and flying insults.

I wish you’d reconsider, but you’re free to do as you see fit.. I can’t deny that.

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM

g2825m on March 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

If I offended you somehow, sorry.

smoothsailing on March 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Mark,

The irony is that on paper I am the Willard supporter. I’m not Southern, I have a bunch of letters after my name, I’m not religious, and according to Democrats I am rich beyond my wildest dreams.

Still can’t stand the man.

As for the Mormon attacks on Romney, I agree some of it is a little over the top. I’ve made my fair share of cracks about magic underwear. I’ve said before I think all religions are silly, just that Mormons take silly to a new level. But your point is valid.

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Hawk, I wonder sometimes, do you think having been in, wether it’s one hitch or a career, that vets have a better sense of team cooperation than most other people? or am I reading too much into that, there are vets and active duty in each camp, but we can usually talk about our differences without letting it get out of control angry.. am I wrong about that? or do we share a team ethic others just never experienced.. all though some seem to know it intuitively..

just wondering, you’d have a better view on that than I would just having served over 2 years before my medical honorable discharge. It just seems true to me..

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You might be reading something into it. The military is a microcosm of the country in general. It leans a bit more Conservative than the country as a whole but you even have a bit of liberal representation there. As far as politics you’ve got shills there as well.

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

And now Reuters is reporting how Medvedev is lecturing Romney not to aggravate the situation. (slap forehead) If we get stuck with this putz as the nominee, this is going to be more excruciating than 2008. At least McCain showed he had some grasp of foreign policy. Well, maybe Romney can give Medvedev and Putin tips on figure skating. He did saved the Salt Lake winter olympics, you know. That should be good for something (slap forehead again).

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Obviously, Medvedev is concerned with Romney- according to Reuters. So you are in very good company with your concern of Mittens.

FlaMurph on March 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Romney OBAMA is a disaster.

Pork-Chop on March 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Fixed it for you.

You are welcome.

Gunlock Bill on March 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

hawkdriver on March 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Probably then you’re right,.. It seemed like it was true, but as my wife points out, I can be terribly literal minded sometimes and the more subtle can slip right past me unseen.. I have more than a couple of blind spots which thankfully, my wife compensates for.

Wishful thinking.. thanks for your second opinion.. I tend to have a romanticized view of things, sometimes seeing more than is really there. So I ask for a second opinion..

thanks Hawkdriver..

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

People I would like to see president.

– a whole bunch of people
– the guy who cleans up dog poop at the park
– the parking attendant downtown
– a million more people
OBAMA
– Mitt Romney

Does that answer your question?

angryed on March 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Fixed it based on your past comments. But the placement might be off just a little. It could be,

OBAMA
– a whole bunch of people
– the guy who cleans up dog poop at the park
– the parking attendant downtown
– a million more people
– Mitt Romney

for all we know.

Gunlock Bill on March 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Do you really think Obama is better?.. you didn’t say that no, but Romney is hardly a disaster, far from it, he at least shows a grasp of the threat Russia is in reality that Obama seems to entirely miss. Of Course they prefer Obama to Romney.. they just had Obama there begging to be rolled by them..

Newt would be better at it, but the fact is, Newt never had a chance, too many personal flaws. Rick as much as I prefer him, also can’t seem to gather enough support.. and Romney can poach more independents, a serious concern if in the general, the MSM propagandizes him enough to make it a close race.

The Soviets grumbled about Reagan too, they always try to say they won’t work with the candidate they find the strongest threat to their plans.

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Romney has a better understanding of the geopolitical situation than many here give him credit for, as a Global Business executive would have to have to be successful. Many here do not have that comprehension.

And, yes, I to do consider Russia our enemy. They are using surrogates if you will or assisting our enemies in ways that do make them still viable as an enemy. I am sorry that some here do not comprehend this fact.

The friend of my enemies is my enemy. Sort of a play on that turn of phrase the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Truth is Russia and China both are friends of our Enemy Iran. They assist them by blocking efforts at the UN and by assisting them out right through trade.

Wake up folks, RUSSIA is still our FOE.

uhangtight on March 27, 2012 at 12:55 PM

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Yes you’re right, we should just keep pretending that Russia isn’t arming Syria, Iran, AlQuieda etc. etc.

Minnfidel on March 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

mark81150 on March 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You’re right. Given that Russia is poking at Romney is very telling. They do not want him to win, as they have gotten Obama to:

Remove strategic missiles in Europe
Roll over and give up the Space Program
And, probably a whole host of things we are not yet aware of!

Romney is right Russia is a foe. They are foe of our allies in Europe. Reagan had the same problem, calling out and naming our Foes. Looks like Romney may be a better candidate than many here have proclaimed him to be!

uhangtight on March 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Remove strategic missiles in Europe
Roll over and give up the Space Program
And, probably a whole host of things we are not yet aware of!

uhangtight on March 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Good points

joey24007 on March 27, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Minnfidel on March 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Doh! That’s true. It was the Russian pair skaters after all who were involved in all that hanky panky back at the Salt Lake Olympics. Perhaps this is payback? We are so screwed, people! Exchange one light weight for another light weight wearing republican clothing.

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Yea, that’s funny. They are arming Al Quidea through Syria and Iran and it’s killing our troops. Yea, the ice skating rference is hillarious. He called them our Foe, which they are. Owebama is kissing their rears and has already left our allies hanging out to dry. Yea there’s no difference. I am not a big Romney fan but I’ll give him credit where credit is due. Calling them out is what’s precisely needed. Nevermond they are arming our enemies, go ahead and stick with your lame olympics jokes though.

Minnfidel on March 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

mozalf on March 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM

or maybe you should shut up yourself, as you seem to have as much grasp of foreign policy as Paris Hilton…

jimver on March 27, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I just saw Romney on with Jay Leno. Jay was asking some substanative questions (that he’d never ask Obama) and Romney’s answers were excellent. The audience applauded a number of times. It gave me some hope that, if he’s the nominee, he’ll be able to handle himself well in interviews and talking off the cuff. Also, getting applause from a Jay Leno audience is an encouraging sign.

Red State State of Mind on March 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM