Pennsylvania legislator attacks pro-life women as “men with breasts”

posted at 5:32 pm on March 26, 2012 by Tina Korbe

This is truly one of the most bizarre, perplexing bits of news I’ve ever encountered. It’s the sort of tidbit that justifies the resurrection of that cliché: “We’re through the looking glass.” Up is down, down is up, an embrace of fertility is somehow a sign of masculinity

Pennsylvania State Rep. Babette Josephs, a Philadelphia Democrat, may have reached a new low in political discourse on the issues of abortion. Upset that pro-life women in the state legislature support a bill allowing women a chance to see an ultrasound of their unborn child before an abortion, she referred to them as “men with breasts.”

As the Patriot-News reports:

“During her remarks, she blasted women lawmakers who co-sponsored the ultrasound bill, asking rhetorically, ‘What are they? Women, or are they men with breasts?’ according to supporters of the bill who watched the rally.

Josephs stood by her words after the rally, arguing that the women lawmakers on the bill – sponsored by Rep. Kathy Rapp of Warren County — are acting like women only in the sense ‘that they will do what the men tell them.’

‘They must believe that they are not capable of making their own health care choices, but they are capable of voting on bills that control all of our behavior,’ Josephs continued. ‘I don’t understand it …

‘I don’t believe they’re really women. … I believe they’re men with breasts.’

She doesn’t understand it? I don’t understand it. By what logic are women who maintain that pregnancy is, in fact, the first stage of motherhood (i.e. that you are a mother from the minute you conceive your child) more manly than women who maintain otherwise? By what logic are women who want other women to realize their own motherhood more manly than women who want otherwise?

Let’s get this straight once and for all: Man and woman are different (as Ms. Josephs implies with her remark) and one of the primary differences between the two is woman’s capacity for motherhood. How is the recognition of that capacity somehow the obviation of femininity? The opposite is true: The negation of fertility is a crude attempt to negate gender difference.

In all the discussion of a “war on women,” hardly anyone has talked about women’s war on women — the now decades-old attempt by feminists to convince their fellow women that what women alone can do is somehow of less value than what both men and women can do. It’s not that men wanted women to become pregnant so they could somehow keep us down; it’s that only women can become pregnant.

Women have a fundamental freedom that men do not: They have the freedom to become or not become a mother.(Correspondingly, men have a freedom to become or not become a father.) Note that that freedom is antecedent to sex. By having sex, a woman essentially says with her body that she’s comfortable with becoming a mother — because pregnancy is always a possibility of sex. Once a woman conceives a child, she is a mother. Her choice then is only as to what kind of mother she will be.

Traditional morality teaches us that, while freedom might be a valid political end, it’s not a valid moral end: We must choose to use our freedom for the good. Motherhood is inherently a good (again, if for no other reason than that it perpetuates humankind!), for which we should at least be open to using our freedom.

Make no mistake: Feminism in its present day iteration does not teach us to use our freedom for something other than motherhood or for something in addition to motherhood. We all know women are capable of bearing fruit in a myriad of ways — not just by having children — and that they should not be denied opportunities to contribute to society in ways other than motherhood.

No, feminism seeks to actually take that freedom from us by obscuring the terms of the debate. A woman who does not know reality has no meaningful freedom to speak of because she has only false choices. A woman, for example, who thinks that she can become pregnant without becoming a mother is unable to make a meaningful choice between non-motherhood and motherhood.

Oh women, please don’t buy the lies! Wake up and claim the freedom that is your due!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Kingfisher on March 26, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You mean the manssiere?

Tim_CA on March 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM

She’s wise to us….or,maybe she’s confusing Teboes shoulder pads with boobs?

Don L on March 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM

‘What are they? Women, or are they men with breasts?’

LMAO – Where’s the outrage from the transgender community?

Tim_CA on March 26, 2012 at 6:37 PM

I could have sworn it was KeninCT.

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Ken’s a guy???

Patrick S on March 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Now now; in Proggieville they say “he presents as a male”.

slickwillie2001 on March 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that the “men with breasts” type of attack is almost always made by women on the left who are decades too old to be in danger of getting pregnant ? I’m 55, and I recall feeling jealousy toward women who were still young enough to bear children. Also regret about not having another child when I still could.
Josephs needs to go deal with her unresolved feelings about how she spent her fertile years so that she can stop spewing hatred at women who have made, or can still make, better choices.

ansonia on March 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM

ansonia on March 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Now that there is a bridge too far for her husband. They did the deed twice and had two kids. That right there is deserving of a silver star on his part.

arnold ziffel on March 26, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I don’t think I’ll lose any sleep over a woman with a face like that even referring to femininity, let alone questioning mine. I mean really, what’s more tied to femininity that giving birth?? Idiot.

CantCureStupid on March 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Only my fingers can move. The rest of me has turned to stone.

BuckeyeSam on March 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM

…I hope there’s one another area that ‘didn’t’ turn to ‘stone’…or, I’m gonna have to bleach your eyes!

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I think I speak for most men when i say, “We have breasts, they’re just very small.”

WashingtonsWake on March 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Whaaa??? The dude in that pic is a chick??

TugboatPhil on March 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free-yeah, to feel the way I feel,
Man Woman! I feel like a Woman Man!
Shania Twain hardest hit : )

OldChick on March 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

WashingtonsWake on March 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

LOL

CantCureStupid on March 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Thank you.

pannw on March 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Am I ever glad I’m on the other side of the state from her.

And you thought all the bottom-feeder reps were in the U.S. House.

PatriotGal2257 on March 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

WashingtonsWake on March 26, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Okay, that was funny.

Just Sayin on March 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Here is an old joke. Two kids sitting on a fence one shows the other a girlie magazine. Second kid looks at it and then looks away. Friend asks “what’s wrong”? Second kid, “mom said don’t look at naked ladies or I’d turn to stone—and I already feel something getting hard.”

arnold ziffel on March 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Stay classy, Josephs.

ZK on March 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

KrebsCyclist on March 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Great minds think alike. I’ll bet you were thinking of this.

PatriotGal2257 on March 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

bbbbbbbabbetttte looks like a ham with hair …. No offense intended to hams or hair ….

dawndawn on March 26, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Exit question: Does Babette Josephs have children? If so, does that make her a man with breasts? What would her children think of that?

Steve Z on March 26, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Fantastic piece Tina, thank you.

Symshady on March 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM

The hate on the left knows no bounds or civility. They cannot disagree on principles or ideas, they attack the person. Consistent I suppose with their blood lust to kill little babies. I seriously question the gender of any “woman” who would kill her child. Speaking of which, anybody get look at the senator? Female? Maybe once.

StevC on March 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Why are Democrat women law makers so ugly? I’ll answer my own question! Because they are STUPID and EVIL. That brings out the ugliness in their appearance. They are just willing tools for the higher ups and do their bidding as told! At least they don’t have to worry about giving sexual favors. What man in his right mind would want sexual favors from any of them? Ugh! Yuck! I think I’m going to throw up!

Jersey Dan on March 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

What oh what does that d FL gal with two last names think of this twinkie? I have to say, most d gals in public life are hard on the eyes!
BTW, I am a gal and feel I can say this!
L

letget on March 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Quick, somebody send gorgeous pro-life supermodel Kathy Ireland a skimpy T-shirt that says “this is what a man with breasts looks like”.

ardenenoch on March 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Wow; if that’s her pic in the capture, she’s got no room to cast aspersions on any other females…

Midas on March 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Midas on March 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Yeah, I don’t even mean this in a catty way, but when I first saw the pic, I was sure it was a man saying this, which is typical on the left.

Esthier on March 26, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Excuse me, but don’t men have breasts?

itsspideyman on March 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM

One things for sure, no one’s going to call Josephs a slut…or smart, but that’s a different story.

Thomas More on March 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

MeanWhile……………………………………….

Virginia Senate passes state budget bill, despite ultrasound funding

Submitted 11 mins ago from http://www.roanoke.com
============================

Virginia Senate passes state budget bill
Mon March 26 2012
******************

RICHMOND — After weeks of partisan wrangling that dragged the General Assembly into overtime, the Virginia Senate on Monday finally passed a state budget bill.

But lawmakers still have more work to do before they can send a budget plan to Gov. Bob McDonnell’s desk.

The evenly divided Senate voted 35-4 to pass its own version of a two-year $85 billion budget, something it failed to do during the regular legislative session that ended March 10.
Senate Democrats had twice blocked passage of a budget bill before winning some concessions on funding for education and health and human services programs, and on provisions to mitigate tolls on major transportation projects in Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads.

But Senate Democrats failed in their effort to insert a provision that would require the state to cover the cost for some ultrasound procedures required before women have abortions that will be mandated under controversial legislation McDonnell signed into law earlier this month. A Democratic floor amendment failed by a vote of 19-20.(More…..)
=====================

canopfor on March 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Now now; in Proggieville they say “he presents as a male”.

slickwillie2001 on March 26, 2012 at 6:38 PM

; )

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 7:40 PM

arnold ziffel on March 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Funny.

Bmore on March 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

WOW!!! This is so powerful and a perspective that hasn’t gotten as much attention as it deserves. Good on you.

fabrexe on March 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Takes one to know one.

msupertas on March 26, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Looked at the pic again (shudder), and brain says “Man with breasts, says woman with chins”.

waterytart on March 26, 2012 at 8:18 PM

So women are encouraged to make up their own minds, provided that they must agree with the far left.

O….K….

Kingfisher on March 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Bill Maher in drag??

Bubba Redneck on March 26, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Well thanks to a pituitary tumor I do have man-boobs, and I am pro-life. Who knew?

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Feminists hate women, they hate men, and they hate children, and they really hate families.

Their only allegiance is to the collective, and that means any differences between the sexes—and having children is the most indelible reminder—must be denied and/or obliterated.

INC on March 26, 2012 at 8:40 PM

This guy should be kicked out of the Legislature now!

Hummer53 on March 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM

So now being a woman is based on what you believe, not your genes?

EdmundBurke247 on March 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Sooo, real women kill babies?

WannabeAnglican on March 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Bill Maher in drag??

Looks like George Soros’s long-lost twin, to me.

How can any self-respecting woman have any doubt about the left’s vision for us? We’re to shut up, vote Democrat, and be happy with it. It reminds me of every single abusive relationship I’ve ever witness: Democrats swear up and down they love us, then the second we disagree with them, it’s time for the fist. Then they’ll say they didn’t really mean it, and please remember to vote for Obama.

englishqueen01 on March 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Wow! A powerful article Tina. Well Done!!!

Pennsylvania State Rep. Babette Josephs, a Philadelphia Democrat

For a second there I thought I was looking at one of my cousins.
[shudder]She even sounds like her! Needless to say I only see her at the basic family functions, mostly funerals these days.

Another testament to what liberalism does to someone over time.

JohnnyD on March 26, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Liberal tolerance in action (meaning liberal fascism).

Philly on March 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM

<blockquoteStay classy, Josephs.

ZK on March 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Impossible. Dems don’t know how.

Sporty1946 on March 26, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Nutstuyu on March 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Do you ever get out of the house?

Dubya Bee on March 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

No True Scotswoman.

Axeman on March 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Really? That’s a woman? I was sure that was a picture of a dude.

A REALLY ugly dude.

Wow. Just wow.

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on March 27, 2012 at 6:13 AM

If the photo is at all representative, Josephs looks quite a bit like a man with breasts herself. One might also wonder where she might think babies come from. Where she came from? What if her mother had been pro-choice? Would we be reading these ignrotant quotes?

zoyclem on March 27, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I thought that was Roman Polanski. My bad.

FineasFinn on March 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

That woman has no worries of becoming pregnant. Have you looked at that face? Not even my dog wouuld dare do her.

rjulio on March 27, 2012 at 1:00 PM