Quotes of the day

posted at 8:00 pm on March 25, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Atheists, non-theists, secularists and others who say they believe in reason, not God, gathered Saturday on the Mall for the first Reason Rally, where they pledged to stand up for their beliefs in a society that they say sometimes views them with skepticism and distrust…

“Organizers said the aim of the rally was twofold: to unite individuals with similar beliefs and to show the American public that the number of people who don’t believe in God is large and growing.

“‘We have the numbers to be taken seriously,’ said Paul Fidalgo, spokesman for the Center for Inquiry, which promotes scientific method and reasoning and was one of the organizations sponsoring the rally. ‘We’re not just a tiny fringe group.’

“According to the American Religious Identification Survey in 2008, the number of people who claim no specific religious belief was 34 million, 15 percent of the U.S. adult population.”

***

“Many people do not understand that it is possible to lead a meaningful, happy life as a heathen, but we maintain that it is and can point to any number of atheist philosophers and thinkers who have explained why this is so. But such meaning and contentment does not inevitably follow from becoming a heathen. Ours is a universe without guarantees of redemption or salvation and sometimes people have terrible lives or do terrible things and thrive. On such occasions, we have no consolation. That is the dark side of accepting the truth, and we are prepared to acknowledge it. We are heathens because we value living in the truth. But that does not mean that we pretend that always makes life easy or us happy. If the evidence were to show that religious people are happier and healthier than us, we would not see that as any reason to give up our convictions…

“We believe in not being tone-deaf to religion and to understand it in the most charitable way possible. So we support religions when they work to promote values we share, including those of social justice and compassion. We are respectful and sympathetic to the religious when they arrive at their different conclusions on the basis of the same commitment to sincere, rational, undogmatic inquiry as us, without in any way denying that we believe them to be false and misguided. We are also sympathetic to religion when its effects are more benign than malign. We appreciate that commitment to truth is but one value and that a commitment to compassion and kindness to others is also of supreme importance. We are not prepared to insist that it is indubitably better to live guided by such values allied with false beliefs than it is to live without such values but also without false belief.

“Our willingness to accept what is good in religion is balanced by an equally honest commitment to be critical of it when necessary. We object when religion invokes mystery to avoid difficult questions or to obfuscate when clarity is needed. We do not like the way in which “people of faith” tend to huddle together in an unprincipled coalition of self-interest, even when that means liberals getting into bed with homophobes and misogynists. We think it is disingenuous for religious people to talk about the reasonableness of their beliefs and the importance of values and practice, while drawing a veil over their embrace of superstitious beliefs. In these and other areas, we assert the right and need to make civil but acute criticisms.”

***

“Then Dawkins got to the part where he calls on the crowd not only to challenge religious people but to ‘ridicule and show contempt’ for their doctrines and sacraments, including the Eucharist, which Catholics believe becomes the body of Christ during Mass.

“That was a step further than Craig Lowery, a Dawkins fan, said he’s willing to go. Lowery, of Washington, D.C., applauded but admitted he’s not a confrontational atheist, saying:

“‘I might make fun of them in my head but I wouldn’t say it. Most people, religious or otherwise, are good people.’”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via the Daily Caller. Content warning.

***

Via Reason TV.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Wow, Allah has a hot date tonight!`

carbon_footprint on March 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

God help us…

Electrongod on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

If an atheist gets really mad do they say “no god dammit”?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Classy.

amerpundit on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I guess I’m more of a Nay Theist than anything else.

Buckshot Bill on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Oh, oh. Did someone pray for rain?

Rational Thought on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

If an atheist gets really mad do they say “no god dammit”?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

In the throes of sexual passion, do they shout “No God, no God, no God!”?

Odysseus on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

“We are heathens because we value living in the truth”

Just one small correction. When used in that context, sneering at those outside of your belief system, it “Teh TRUTH!1!1!!”.
You’re welcome.

whatcat on March 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Instead of cultivating and promoting some lack of belief, why not do something worthwhile? So they don’t believe in God. Who cares! I mean, I don’t believe wine coolers are a proper alcoholic drink. But I don’t make a big deal out of it. I move on. I do something else.

Paul-Cincy on March 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

And when they’re closing their eyes for the last time, they’re praying to God for forgiveness…..

itsspideyman on March 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

So much for the advanced trait known as: toleration.

I’ll stick with Westphalia and the Enlightenment since they lead to respect via toleration. It took awhile, but it got a very advanced civilization… which these asshats are trying to tear down.

ajacksonian on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

So I guess the whole “We don’t want to denigrate anyone for their religious beliefs” got lost?

catmman on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I’m secular politically but I prayed for a Corvette at age 13 and got it.

Explain that Dawkins.

IlikedAUH2O on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Me personally, I thought one the benefits of atheism was having the whole weekend off.

M240H on March 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Real heathens put ice in their whisky.

catmman on March 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Atheists desperate for attention, what else is new. Allah is just phoning it in with the QOTD… not

Norwegian on March 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

OK, so they are 15%. That proves what, exactly? That they should overrule the other 85%?

MikeA on March 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

What? You mean to say that trying to out-dumb the OWS hippies isn’t worthwhile?

whatcat on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM

The problem with them isn’t that they don’t believe, the problem with them is that others do.

tommy-t on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Going after the Catholics, huh? Coward. Get back to me when you’re holding rallies to “ridicule and show contempt” for the Religion of Peace.

Rational Thought on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Why can’t more people just mind their own business?

If it’s not bible thumpers trying to enact Christian Sharia law, it’s someone freaking out because someone said God in public somewhere.

Moesart on March 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM

If an atheist gets really mad do they say “no god dammit”?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

In the throes of sexual passion, do they shout “No God, no God, no God!”?

Odysseus on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Funny. :) The beginnings of a book, “Finding Humor in Atheism”. Atheists who buy the book based on its title would be unpleasantly surprised.

Paul-Cincy on March 25, 2012 at 8:13 PM

In DC today there was a gathering of intolerant barbarians.

Strangely enough, Congress wasn’t in session…

ajacksonian on March 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I’m secular politically but I prayed for a Corvette at age 13 and got it.

Explain that Dawkins.

IlikedAUH2O on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Just be careful with that nice car.

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Allahpundit, what is it about most atheists that makes them total a**holes? You seem like a very good natured person, so what is it?

ThePrez on March 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

““Our willingness to accept what is good in religion is balanced by an equally honest commitment to be critical of it when necessary.”

OK, that sounds good…

… Knock yourselve out!

Islam – What the West Needs to Know (full)

Seven Percent Solution on March 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I’m secular politically but I prayed for a Corvette at age 13 and got it.

Explain that Dawkins.

IlikedAUH2O on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

If you got a Corvette at 13 and doubt the existence of God there is nothing that can convince you.

tommy-t on March 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I think that the existence of such creatures proves that there is no God.

Because I know that if I were God, there would be lightning bolts crashing down on Dawkins and perhaps some of the others.

LegendHasIt on March 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Why do these people feel so threatened by something they believe doesn’t exist?

rbj on March 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

“Thousands” showed up for this rally, apparently.

Big whoop. Tens of thousands of people in each STATE went to church this morning.

Color me unimpressed.

Grace_is_sufficient on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

These militant Atheists are starting to pizz me off.

Hey, guys. If you don’t believe then fine but don’t try to shove *that* belief down the throats of others.

Sound familiar?

Oblivious douches.

RedNewEnglander on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I’m sorry that 0b0z0 isn’t around to march with you. Just wait until after the election if he wins, he will be out there with you and with the muslims because that is his heritage. I still don’t understand why the muslims don’t have a jeehod (? what- fonetic) against him, because they do when you convert to Christianity. Think they know something we don’t?

Bambi on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

MikeA on March 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

AP hardest hit.

chewmeister on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Could’ve been worse. Could’ve been Wiccans.

M240H on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

So when an Atheist woman has sex…does she holler, “Oh Darwin!”???

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The American Revolution was Christian based. The French Revolution was “Reason” based. Which would you prefer to have been part of?

crazedarmenian on March 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Rational Thought on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

They wouldn’t have gone after the Catholics a few hundred years ago. Back then we fought back.

Buckshot Bill on March 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ya know, I really hate it when Christians get all huffy and self righteous about our beliefs and ridicule others for not being as wise/cool/good/worthwhile as we are. That is offensive and yet happens way too often. But, it is no less offensive when an Atheist does it. I’m OK with an Atheist being Atheist if that is their true belief system. But I’m not at all OK with them acting like spoiled children and going out of their way to insult others.

MikeA on March 25, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Atheist intolerance on full display.

Dawkins is more aligned with Stalin and Mao than with Darwin.

dukecitygirl on March 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So when an Atheist woman has sex…does she holler, “Oh Darwin!”???

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Well…..

darwin-t on March 25, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Wow, Allah has a hot date tonight!`

carbon_footprint on March 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

My first thought when I saw the early QOTD. I wonder who it is? Must be a hottie. That man wants outta here!

Good luck, AP. I hope your evening is…”fruitful.”

predator on March 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM

If an atheist gets really mad do they say “no god dammit”?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I say that to my kids all the time, but with a comma after the ‘no’.

ss396 on March 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

It just makes me sad, I have felt Gods arms around me,literaly, no one can exsplain it but it happened.

lisa fox on March 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Our Nothing is an Awesome Nothing!

profitsbeard on March 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yep, got to go around insulting those stupid christi….I mean religious people. Religion makes people stupid. Mentioning ID for even five seconds will turn kids into total morons. After all, the vast majoirty of homeschoolers are christians, who believe in ID for at least the initial beginning of the earth, and we all know how stupid home schooled kids are…

Oh wait…

What’s that..?

DethMetalCookieMonst on March 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Yes Jesus Loves Me, The Bible tells me so.

lisa fox on March 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Not to get all technical, but do these people realize that “heathen” applies to those who do not believe in the God of the Bible (i.e., they are not Christians, Jews or Muslims) but that it doesn’t necessarily equate to not believing in a god at all? In fact, “heathen” is synonymous with pagan, who observe polytheistic religions (like the Ancient Romans or Greeks). If they are truly atheists, they can’t be heathens.

But maybe they mean heathen in the sense of unsophisticated and uncouth.

Dark Star on March 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

How about trotting over to a Mosque and ridiculing muslims, hmmmm?

I know of a few nearby DC that are funded by KSA, so why not go outside one of those and start your lovely ridicule and contempt show, huh? Really, atheists have got to be against all god based religions, not just christianity and judaism. Heck, even the polytheistic ones ought to be a target, so there should be the ridiculing of Hindus, too.

So brave to taunt the tolerant.

So cowardly not to affirm your non-belief and push it equally against all faiths.

ajacksonian on March 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Funny how these atheists expect matters of faith to be subject to reason and argument. If they were, they wouldn’t need to be called matters of “faith”. They are from faith because they are inexplicable by reason. And are accordingly mocked.

Of course faith is unreasonable! Sheesh, – if you atheists are so reasonable, take a look in a dictionary sometime.

ss396 on March 25, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Rational Thought on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I may refrain from insulting you. I may refrain from publishing a cartoon of your prophet. But it’s becuse I fear you. Don’t think for one minute that it’s because I respect you. —Richard Dawkins

pearson on March 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM

catmman on March 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Dopenstrange on March 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

For people who claim reason and “free thinking”, they sure do act like bratty spoiled drama queens.

Rebar on March 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

God help us…

Electrongod on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thread Winner!!!..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

rofl..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Yeah, pretty much, huh? I liked the “young lady” with the “Eat P_ssy like a Woman” sign. Really deep thinker there – and so articulate…

Dopenstrange on March 25, 2012 at 8:33 PM

lol Creative doncha think? Pretty sporty gal. Why was she at an atheist rally though?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So when an Atheist woman has sex…does she holler, “Oh Darwin!”???

lovingmyUSA on March 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I’m pretty sure that a Leftist Atheist would holler, “Oh-bama!”

Seriously, speaking as an a-theist, this disgusts me. As if the effing country isn’t balkanized enough into mini-collectives as it is. And people willingly fall into these traps, as the power players laugh at such useful hyphenated-idiots, focused on each other instead of the tyranny being imposed upon all.

Would that we had a leader (like maybe that snowbilly from up North) who could keep us all focused on the big picture so as to stave off the collapse of the U.S. as we know it — meaning increasing absolute cuts in the size and spending of government combined with reductions of the national debt!

Everything else is just bread and circuses …

ShainS on March 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM

They are entitled to their public gatherings and celebrations, but whatever the rest of us do, we can NEVER let these people be in-charge of the levers of power in the government. If we do, we can expect them to commit mass murder on an unprecedented scale. Why do I say that? Because that’s exactly what happened in every country that they controlled in the 20th century. The scariest thing on the planet is an atheist in-charge with a utopian vision.

My collie says:

Did anyone ask Dawkins if he has any more information about the extra terrestials that seeded planet Earth with DNA?

CyberCipher on March 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Move over Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton…here comes a new breed of attention whores…

b1jetmech on March 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Why do these people feel so threatened by something they believe doesn’t exist?

rbj on March 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM

“Threatened”, meaning what?

Some people would consider feeling ‘socially uncomfortable’ the same as being “threatened”.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The fact that they can talk about reason and social justice at the same time is kind of funny. What the heck is social justice if not an unreasonable idea that everyone should have the exact same outcome in life regardless of what they put into it? Is it atheism or communism? Is there a difference?

Night Owl on March 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I’m amused by the photo chosen for this on the front page, as her sign – ‘Obama isn’t trying to destroy religion, I am’ – represents all that is wrong with the atheist movement. Atheists shouldn’t be out to ‘destroy’ anyone’s faith or belief system. Does that not put them on par with the ‘religious fanatics’ that they so abhor for supposedly forcing their religion on them?

“So we support religions when they work to promote values we share, including those of social justice and compassion.”

The woman holding that sign would beg to differ, it seems.

tdpwells on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sigh. It’s refreshing to see a group of people that I disagree with meeting together and NOT demanding the government give them stuff! Sandra, are you listening?!?

MeatHeadinCA on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Why are they so angry?

idesign on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The sign that said….

Religion is like a Penis

It is OK to have one.

It is even OK to be proud of it.

But it is not OK to whip it out in public and shove it in my face.
Or tell me what to do because you have one.”

Sandra Fluck…are you listening?

Electrongod on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

In the throes of sexual passion, do they shout “No God, no God, no God!”?

Odysseus on March 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I am laughing so hard.

bazil9 on March 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

The sign that said….

Religion is like a Pen!s

It is OK to have one.

It is even OK to be proud of it.

But it is not OK to whip it out in public and shove it in my face.
Or tell me what to do because you have one.”

Sandra Fluck…are you listening?

Electrongod on March 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

God can take an athiest, he will have the last laugh!

lisa fox on March 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

to unite individuals with similar beliefs

Really, because I thought the entire point was they don’t have any beliefs.…come on someone, nuance this for me, you know you want to ;)

Dr Evil on March 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

lisa fox on March 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I hear ya Lisa, I’ve felt the love and peace of Gods arms around me twice in my life, both at times of loss. I too feel sorry for them, the fact they protest so much tells me they are not confident in their beliefs. I don’t care what they say, atheism is a religion and they are getting more and more fervent in their religion.

Liberty or Death on March 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Not believing in “religion”is not the same as not believing in God.

Dr Evil on March 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thank God i am saved by his grace because i am so not worthy.

lisa fox on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Claiming “no specific religious belief” does not mean that one is atheist. That seems to be a stat thrown into the article to deliberately make it seem there are more atheists than there are.

Shump on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

CyberCipher on March 25, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Ditto on that.

Here are some examples.

Lenin/Stalin= 20-30 million murdered.

Mao= 60 million plus murdered

Castro= who knows.

Pol Pot= over 2 million.

From the 1917 to 1991 Soviet Union, estimated over 70 million killed.

This was just in the 20th century. Perhaps more people were murdered in the 20th then all others combined.

Atheists sure have a legacy to reflect on.

(“disclaimer”, this criticism doesn’t apply to conservatives who are unbleivers just to let you know)

b1jetmech on March 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Acting like immature children. That’ll win the respect of non-atheists.

midgeorgian on March 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

listens2glenn on March 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Meh – if some precious cupcake isn’t yet used to feeling “socially uncomfortable” it’s about time he takes a bite from the ol’ Reality Sandwich. That’s how life goes.

whatcat on March 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

…Atheists shouldn’t be out to ‘destroy’ anyone’s faith or belief system. Does that not put them on par with the ‘religious fanatics’ that they so abhor for supposedly forcing their religion on them?…

tdpwells on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

My collie says:

Which only serves to bolster OUR argument that atheism IS a religion.

CyberCipher on March 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Dr Evil on March 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM

They wish to spread the belief of intolerance.

Once we all hold that, then everything collapses.

That is the only belief these fools can spread, and it is toxic beyond all others.

ajacksonian on March 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

So they are nothing more than socialist – socialist worship the state not God.

Dr Evil on March 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Rational Thought on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Heh. If they did, maybe then, just maybe then (okay, probably not) I would have some respect for people like this.

cynccook on March 25, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The woman holding that sign would beg to differ, it seems.

tdpwells on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I’m more annoyed by the poor choice of color; ugly green on white, that just looks bad. Go for bold colors if any, can’t go wrong primary colors on grey/black/white generally.

Buckshot Bill on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

CyberCipher on March 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Your collie is wise.

tdpwells on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Did they clean up after themselves? Or did they leave a big mess?

novaculus on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

How anyone cannot have religion during the Obama era is amazing.

carbon_footprint on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

God help us…

Electrongod on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Thread Winner!!!..:)

Dire Straits on March 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Has anyone already put out a commercially mass-produced T-shirt with the message “I swear to God I’m an Athiest” printed on it?

I’m thinking those would have sold “like hotcakes” at that rally, today.
Damn . . . . . . why didn’t I think of that sooner? . . .

listens2glenn on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Hey CC, nice to see you.

LegendHasIt on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

So, if you take the premise that religion is a belief system based on faith, rather than proof, how is atheism superior to Christianity, and why are atheists trying to force their belief system on others? What possible grounds do they have for claiming their system, which cannot be proven (you can never prove God doesn’t exist, it could be you’re just too stupid to find God), is superior to other faiths?

Also, if Dawkins is the world’s greatest Darwinist, what’s his answer to the flagella question? I believe in evolution, but I can’t come up with a reasonable explanation of where they came from, which is a point in favor of intelligent design.

talkingpoints on March 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Was there any lightning in the area..?

d1carter on March 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Why are they so angry?

idesign on March 25, 2012 at 8:42 PM

They have no faith to help put their minds at ease.

predator on March 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

tommy-t on March 25, 2012 at 8:11 PM

And that right there, is all that it boils down too.

LiquidH2O on March 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Great bumper sticker I saw: God doesn’t believe in atheists.

redmama on March 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM

If an atheist gets really mad do they say “no god dammit”?

arnold ziffel on March 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I think they say “Believer !!!!!” in a really loud voice while pointing at the offender and glaring at them, really hatefully.
At least, that’s been my experience…

ExpressoBold on March 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Hey CC, nice to see you.

LegendHasIt on March 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

*hattip* right back at ‘cha.

CyberCipher on March 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

That stupid sign about destroying religion perfectly illuminates the differences between liberals and conservatives.

Conservatives: she can be an atheist, a Buddhist, a hindu, a rastafarian, a pagan, a druid or anything she wants. That’s her right and it’s none of my business.

Liberals: EVERYBODY is going to do it my way.

Samantha on March 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

So it wasn’t so much a rally for reason as it was an excuse to bash Christians, and Catholics in particular….that’s supposed to be “enlightened thinking” it’s just business as usual for Dawkins. From the photos I looked at it was a book fair, to make some shekels off the latest ism currently in fashion, in their case atheism.

Dr Evil on March 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I have nothing against atheists. Many atheists ,like Allahpundit, are always respectful about others beliefs. It’s the anti-theist who have hatred of everything religious. They’re no better than the Westboro crowd.

midgeorgian on March 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM