Open thread: Louisiana votes: Update: Santorum closes the deal

posted at 7:30 pm on March 24, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

So is Louisiana a comeback kid moment or another yawn festival briefly interrupting the march to Mr. Inevitable? If the former, Rick Santorum is looking pretty good.

Rick Santorum is looking to Louisiana for a much-needed rebound as Republican voters go to the polls today in the state’s GOP primary.

The former Pennsylvania senator is expected to do well in the contest, after a decisive loss to front-runner Mitt Romney in Illinois on Tuesday.

A win over the former Massachusetts governor would serve as a reminder that Romney still struggles among the GOP’s conservative faithful, especially in the South. Santorum beat Romney in primaries in Alabama and Mississippi this month.

But Romney is outpacing Santorum in the race for critical delegates to the Republican National Convention, and he’s been beating Santorum in big, industrial Midwestern states.

It’s a southern race, and Santorum should do well. If the results from the last few races are any indication, Newt is dropping off the radar and we’ll see a few tests coming up where we can finally answer the question, “Will Santorum win a one on one race against Romney?”

Santorum must feel pretty confident since he already headed to future battlegrounds.

On Saturday, Santorum and Gingrich attended the Pennsylvania Leadership Conference.

Santorum told the crowd he didn’t always understand conservatives’ frustration with Washington but said he comprehends it now. He also said his 2006 reelection loss helped him grasp that frustration.

“In a sense, I didn’t understand,” he said.

Santorum also pointed to his consistent, social conservative stances to separate himself from the GOP presidential field, saying he offers an alternative to President Barack Obama.

This isn’t a “home game” for Romney, so he can play it down. (You know… those southern voters don’t really count, right?) But does Louisiana hold some magic to stop Mitt’s March? Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Larry Sabato bravely calls it for Santorum at 8:53 PM eastern.

My prediction: LA will be called for Santo at 9:01. Wow, really out on a limb, aren’t I? :) #CrystalBall

UPDATE: Less than one minute after the polls close, CNN, NBC and Fox are calling it for Santorum by a large margin across most all demographics except those making more than $200K / yr who went for Mitt. Shocker?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10 11

Romney has no chance against Obama. Only charming people become Presidents. Look at all the past elections. Who’s more charming

Obama or Mccain

Bush or Kerry

Bush or Gore

Clinton or Dole

Clinton or Bush

on and on. It’s about charm people and Romney is a robot!

davemason2k on March 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I sure as heck never threatened to stay home or vote for Obama just because someone said something negative about Romney.

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The roughly 35 people at HA who proudly proclaim their intention not to support the party – many who have bemoaned the collapse of the US as we know it for the past three years.
Odd that you bring up Palin — let’s say that fantasy scenario worked out. You wouldn’t be so serene about refusing to support the party if all the Mitt supporters said they wouldn’t vote for you.

Member #4 Honda

Bradky on March 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

You recently put me in this category of yours. I have not bemoaned the collapse of the US as we know it. Not by a long shot, and some of your fellow Romney supporters have been doing that, to try and persuade people that Obama will “destroy America if he gets another four years.”

Define “support the party.” I will vote against Obama in November, unless by some fluke the nominee is Ron Paul, then I will vote for my cat.

There are some who say they will stay home or vote third party if Romney is the nominee, but there are probably an equal number who say that about Santorum.

When you pigeonhole people like this, you look petty and foolish, but I’ve concluded that’s exactly what you are, after reading your comments all these years.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

And that makes him better than Romney how?

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Too easy!

Which liberal created 0bamacare? Did RonMe go to 0bama to create RonMeCare, or was it the other way around?

The rest is more of the same EXCEPT that 0bama doesn’t claim to be conservative, thus Sketchy remains the bigger liar.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The fact that you are supporting Romney automatically forces you to feign conservative in order to keep any degree of authenticity as someone on a conservative site to listen to you. So of course you never made it known publicly.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Thanks but not so much me anymore. But you keep up the great commentary you offer and it can only help to make this a great site again.

hawkdriver on March 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Ditto.

My own behaviour lately hasn’t thrilled me. While my knuckles aren’t dragging the ground yet, I can feel myself regressing. So, starting over.

Lightswitch on March 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

This time around, Obama looks “filthy,muddy”, and I believe most voters will hold him responsible for his own muddy appearance, as opposed to blaming the Republicans for slinging mud at him.

listens2glenn on March 25, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Like Republicans will ignore the FACT that 0bamacare is the offspring of RonMecare and they will be grateful to vote for more of the same liberal socialist crap because Sketchy says he is a conservative. Yeah right.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Well said. It’s unfortunate that more people on this and other threads can’t restrain themselves from posting nasty personal comments about each other. Blaming the supporters of the candidate du jour for everything, attacking their intelligence and referring to them as a moby, Lib or troll is unnecessary.

It took me a while to support Mitt. I had reservations about his candidacy, but I eventually made an informed decision to support him. I wasn’t thrilled with some of his positions as Governor, but I understood the difficulties he experienced there with a largely Democrat legislature. I hardly think this makes me a bot, moby or Lib. Similarly, I don’t think Santy or Newton supporters are trolls or bots because they’re rooting for their choice or arguing a policy position. If you can’t make a substantive point without lobbing personal grenades, then the problem is yours and not the supporter you disagree with.

Slainte on March 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Member #4 Honda

Bradky on March 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If you are a Romney supporter, I do not see you as a Republican voter to begin with. In fact, even with Romney as the nominee, it is likely many of those pushing for Romney are likely to vote Obama regardless. George Soros supports you, he wants Romney/Obama as the two choices, it is pure win/win for him. I know, you will scream at bloody murder levels that you swear to God even though you are an atheist that you will be supporting whoever the nominee is, and I believe you as much as I trust Obama to help America produce more energy or as much as I trust Romney will govern in a positive conservative way.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I’m talking about some of your brethren, spammer.

kingsjester on March 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No, you’ve got it wrong! They’re “serene” because their guy is in the lead. I know this because Basilsbest told me so, after launching a long tirade of insults at me.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Obama leads Romney 60 percent to 36 in Romneys home State.

The people that know him best hate him.

Or maybe the voters in Mass. know that Mitt is really not all that liberal. I would expect Obama to be polling better there. Massachusetts only voted Republican for president twice in the last fifty years.

lynncgb on March 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Stupid.

Palin’s not stupid enough to do that. She knows getting rid of Obama is the bigger issue.

She knows the country could not take another four years of him.

Unlike you, who would rather put conservatism over country.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Honda65 plans to vote for Obama. He doesn’t put conservatism over country.

Gelsomina on March 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

California Republican Presidential Primary released today from LA Times/USC

Romney 42, Santorum 23, Gingrich 12, Paul 10

Romney by +19

galtani on March 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

This is supposed to be about getting rid of Obama, or have we all forgot that?

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You think we hate 0bama when it is his socialist legislation that we despise, thus you and your ilk lose the argument by obviously supporting 0bamacare:

Romneycare Becomes Obamacare, Then Coultercare

From the article:
Ann Coulter has now written an unqualified defense of Romneycare. What she doesn’t appear to realize is how useful her column will be to defenders of Obamacare.

And what Sketchy’s cheerleaders refuse to accept is that by defending the creator of 0bamacare they end up fighting the 56% of Americans that HATE it.

Game over, man!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

We shouldn’t have to walk on eggshells when expressing our opinions. If you think we would want to stay silent and mind our manners while an unelectable social issues extremist like Rick Santorum threatens to hand the election to Obama, then you are mistaken. Luckily, Santorum is nearly finished, but I won’t be totally happy until he is out of it officially.

bluegill on March 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM

No one is asking for your silence, or to walk on eggshells.. but there is a distinct difference between speaking your mind, and just being spiteful for it’s own sake..

When angry ed attacked Mitt Romney’s wife, I stood up to say the same thing then,.. and do you know who else stood up for her?

alot more Santorum voters than Romney ones..

Maybe they just weren’t online in numbers that time.. but there are good people out there who tire of your personal attacks.. you can’t seem to stick to policy differences which matter, you blowtorch other voters with a zeal often associated with Ron Paul supporters. It’s not just tacky, it’s harmful to the cause.

You really aim your comments at the entire country?

ok then… that’s hubris on a stick.

Yes I address my views only to the HA readers who care to read them, anything else is mere pretense, we’re only commenters, not columnists. You may think millions hang on your words, but really?.. I mean you really believe folks care that much about what we say here?

Nobody owns HA but Ed and Allah,.. least of all me, a noob from the last open registration day. I know my voice is small, and I know there are strong held opinions different than mine.. I just refuse to think smashing a brick in someones face because they like a guy you don’t is either intelligent or helpful to your favored candidate.

And if you knew anything about selling things.. you’d know first impressions are lasting ones, formed many times on an emotional basis. That isn’t being a “moron”, but being human.. Quite a few people are tuning in now, who weren’t paying attention before, … say they do like Rick, as I do, say they know little of Romney, because they weren’t paying attention yet, then they stumble on your quote..

They form the opnion that you and Romney who you now choose to represent are class A jerks.. and people never vote for the guy they detest. You can call them “morons”, but that means nothing against what human nature is.. and you admit as much when you speak of making your comments towards the much bigger world beyond HA. You are deliberately representing Romney, and when you do that, make sure to stop TRYING to alienate people.. Salesman 101…

do not piss off the customer..

why is that so hard for you to get?

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This is getting old. Santorum gets the rural state mom and pop that do not understand political science. Romney attracts the more educated suburban voter that understands independent or potential crossover dems will NOT vote for a man locked in the 1950′s.
The consequences of another four years of this administration will be back breaking for our country. Enough screwing around. Rally around the candidate that CAN beat this president in November.

FireBlogger on March 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Translation: Vote for Romney or yer stoopid!

Why can’t you accept the reality that a lot of Republican primary voters REALLY don’t want Romney as their nominee?

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Why can’t you accept the reality that many more people don’t want santorum?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

FireBlogger on March 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Rural voters understand a lot more than people give them credit for. Many are also very well educated. Why, we even have a University up the road, Pa! The belief that people outside of the city are 6th grade dropouts is simply untrue.

Lightswitch on March 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Nice way to imply a personal hatred rather than a philsophical one,.. racists are we now?.. that’s a strawman we never built.

Romneycare Becomes Obamacare, Then Coultercare

From the article:

a valid point, which is soon lost because you go waaaay past that to say..

Game over, man!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

If Obamacare isn’t repealed, I am screwed, my whole life is a maze of doctors visits and procedures of one kind or another.. Obamacare is my nightmare.. but Romney has pledged to repeal it, and has hired a strong opponent as his point,man to repeal.. I take him at his word for now.. and if he is the last man standing, you’d be crazy to say he wants to pick a fight with us over Obamacare… we are his voting base.. he won’t offend us over this, he absolutely won’t.

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Why can’t you accept the reality that many more people don’t want santorum?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Notice the fruedian slip in Rusty’s statement? I just love it. Romney is not conservative. Not even a little conservative. His supporters are either bought, stupid, nefarious or

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:13 PM

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

WAIT! What about RonMe stating that he was going to FIX 0bamacare? Doesn’t his word count at all?

Oh yeah. that’s right. He is a bit Sketchy when it comes to what he says and what he does.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Supreme court took up the case. Two outcomes are, end of the republic or end of Obamneycare. If the mandate stands, it is the end of the republic, as there will be no limit on the federal government. If it is found unconstitutional, then there is no obamneycare to worry about.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

You better get your shots in now, it’s over April 3rd.

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM

That’s funny … that “mom and pop” analogy.

Santorum gets the rural state mom and pop that do not understand political science. Romney attracts the more educated suburban voter.
FireBlogger on March 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ever been to Utah, SLC? “Mom and Pop” = Stepford.
If you aint one o’them, you aint doin’ bidness there.
The most clueless people in the country. They’re “stuck in the 50s” alright – the 1850s! Sure, they know all about voting for one thing:
Their ‘own kind’.
And they’re supposed to be the “enlightened ones”?
LMAO

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

This is getting old. Santorum gets the rural state mom and pop

FireBlogger on March 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Lightswitch on March 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Lightswitch my friend, I don’t know why some insist on the notion we in rural or semirural areas are dim bulbs.. and I’m sorry for that, you’re one of the most reasoned voices here. I may have decided to support Romney, but this kind of brick throwing isn’t helping any of us.. I’ll try and point that out as often as I can from my side now..

Your comment is dead on.. and the only reason I can think of people choose to believe this, is false pride.. thinking because they came to a certain conclusion, that anyonne who doesn’t share it must be dumb by default..

People should consider what they say before they say it.. and wonder, is that what others think about me?

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Why can’t you accept the reality that many more people don’t want santorum?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

TheBigOldDog on March 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I know it’s coming, but the legalese of it confuses me, so I depend on others like you to explain it.. I hope it’s struck down, and Congress needs some reality check on it’s power, or as you say, there is nothing that can limit their reach if they choose to go there. Thanks for pointing that out.

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Why can’t you accept the reality that many more people don’t want santorum?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

That is first of all, not true, I do accept that more people have voted for Santorum, but, much to to frustration of the guy I was responding to — NOT IN LOUISIANA.

Second of all, it has little to do with the point I was making. The part you deliberately clipped from my comment was the point I was making. Since you refuse to acknowledge that I am motivated by anything but an “us vs. them” mentality, I will clarify it for you.

Just because people don’t agree with you, that Romney is the best and most electable candidate, does not give you grounds to call them stupid, un-American, etc. And it doesn’t give anyone the right to tell them that a vote for Santorum in the primary is a vote for Obama, like some others are here.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

And even if the Supremes deem it unconstitutional and Sketchy wins, the Republican Party could be tasked with FIXING 0BAMA-ROMNEYCARE by the LEADER of the Republican Party, Sketchy.

Lest we forget:

Romney: My Individual Mandate Health Care Plan Is Conservative

I’ve never been a supporter of cutting off my nose to spite my face.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

“I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views,” and “my treatment of the issues is often partial and incomplete.”

“I serve as a blank screen etch-a-sketch on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views,” and “my treatment of the issues is often partial and incomplete.”

And people wonder why we think they are only minutely differentiated from one another.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Who said un-American?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

With all due respect, do you think that you have the insight to the motives of others. Yes I support Romney only because I believe he is the only R who ran who I feel has a chance to beat Obama. I have voted for every republican candidate since I was eligible to vote when Reagan beat Carter. And why the heck should I listen to anything Soros says, as far as I am concerned I have never heard him say anything that I have ever agreed with

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Or Gingrich, or Perry, or Paul, or Huntsman. or Bachmann or Cain, or McCotter, or Pawlenty, or Obama

TheBigOldDog on March 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Oh wait, the jury is still out on that last one, isn’t it?

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Translation: Vote for Romney or yer stoopid!

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I don’t believe that Miss.. I support Romney now, but in the Ohio primary I actually voted for Rick, so I do understand your view, I really do… I support the primaries continue and let ALL the voters decide, and even though my vote has been cast already.. I’ll be at your side if you prevail.. Supporting the probable candidate now, yes I am, but I will vote the nominee, and only after the primaries are done, and the convention..

we do not disagree much Miss,.. only in degree, but not in kind.

You win this, I’ll be at your back, and bring as many as I can with me..

Fair?

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Also, jannymae, the first amendment gives me the right to say what I want about santorum. The same amendment that allows you to call me an a-hole and for people to call Romney supporters not republican.

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Lest we forget:

Romney: My Individual Mandate Health Care Plan Is Conservative

I’ve never been a supporter of cutting off my nose to spite my face.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Trying to figure out if that supporter of cutting off my nose to spite my face is an attack on me and from which direction.

I am of the bent that I will not vote for Romney in the general. In fact, if there is not a descent chance to win conservative third party candidate to vote for, I will pull the level against Romney by voting Obama. Romney will destroy what little credibility the party has, and must be stopped from being able to do that.

After this, the next attack on me will be, but Obama’s Supreme Court Justice Picks. My response is, Romney appointed more crazy left progressive judges to the bench than his predecessor did as a Democrat. When given the opportunity to show that he understood how to pick Judges, he punted the responsibility to a committee he created for just that task and then ordered them to find people that did not meet his political views.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Who said un-American?

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM

“For the good of their country.” “Principles over country.” “Not a patriot.” Etc. Etc.

You obviously can’t address the actual point, so there’s no point in continuing.

Have a nice day, Rusty.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Pretty much makes you a retard. You vote party affiliation against ideology. I bet you would have been a huge supporter of Arlen Specter. Then turn around and have the gall to attack Santorum for the same. I got it.

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Too easy!

Which liberal created 0bamacare?

Barack Obama.

keep trying to delude yourself, it’s not like the country’s at stake.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Not everyone gets to take the cheerleader to the prom. Sometimes you gotta go with whoever says yes.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

The Sketchy supporters STILL want Americans to sell out their principles JUST so 0bama loses even though his replacement is as bad as is the Communist POTUS.

Romney: My Individual Mandate Health Care Plan Is Conservative

There is NOTHING ‘Conservative’ about any Socialist ‘Mandate’.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Steel guy didn’t deserve that, are you trying to start a flame war, or do you want to discuss the election?..

Disagreeing with you is a right, sorry you have to go there, as it’s completely unnecessary.. he was respectful to you, so way the slap?

ah screw it.. gotta sign off for a bit, the pup needs to visit his tree.. be back later.

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Perhaps you are secretly an Obama supporter who hopes Santorum is the nominee knowing that he will lose the general. See two can play that game.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

keep trying to delude yourself, it’s not like the country’s at stake.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I offer you the same advice as it seems appropriate:

Obama: Romney is just “pretending” his health care plan was different than mine

When 0bama is right he is dead on right, and this is why people will not vote for 0bama lite, and that could KILL our chances of taking back the Senate.

Worthy of note is that you folks won’t have Sarah Palin to kick around this time. The fault will fall squarely on YOUR SHOULDERS.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

You win this, I’ll be at your back, and bring as many as I can with me..

Fair?

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I don’t expect Santorum to win. I have resigned myself to the reality that Romney is going to be the nominee, barring some disaster.

I just get tired of watching people denigrate other people because they won’t fall in line behind Romney. That’s all.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Just what ‘deal’ did Santorum close? This whacked out, whining, loser that will probably lose his home state to Romney hasn’t closed anything except the door of opportunity to win the primary! His multiple meltdowns this week and stupid, stupid statements show his immaturity and lack of readiness for the Presidency. I am sure Romney won’t have a place for him or Gingrich in his administration. Anyone that donates money to this guy’s campaign deserves to lose their money.

lhuffman34 on March 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I would rather see Santorum lose than end up with a Sketchy win as one of those outcomes would destroy the Republican Party for decades.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read that the GOP is no different from the DNC. RonMe serves to prove that point in spades.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

You’re really reaching, now, Rusty, but at least you’re almost addressing my actual point now. Maybe you’ll get to it by November, if you stop parsing every word I say to try and come up with some gotcha BS to fall back on to avoid it.

You’re doing nothing but try to give me a hard time. Bye.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

You are insinuating that the denigration is only coming from the Romney camp when it is demonstrably false. I was called a “retard” because I am a Romney supporter not 5 miniutes ago.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Reminds you of the 0bama supporters, doesn’t it. All they need is a race card to play.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

It’s like talking to a roomful of parrots.

News flash, I don’t agree with Romneycare either. But it is a states rights issue and it was within the framework of the Constitution for MA to enact it.

You can’t claim to be constituionalists only when it agrees with you.

You don’t have to support Romneycare to support Mitt Romney.

Now I know, it’s hard to fathom. To many, it may actually hurt when you think about it.

I’m looking at qualifications. If I spent my time looking at every little single someone did, i’d never be happy with anyone.

I know something that many of you are to narrow-minded to see, it’s more than just one thing. There’s more to this election that just that.

But why reason, let’s play your games, shall we?

Every Santorum supporter supports Ted Kennedy’s No Child Left Behind law. Rick Santorum voted for it.

Every Santorum supporter supports Title 10. Rick Santorum voted for it.

Everyone supports unions. Rick Santorum voted for unions.

Everyone here thinks we need to do something about Global Warming. Newt Gingrinch believed that we did.

Congratulations, we’re all traitors to the cause.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I’m tired of watching my country die because people would rather put their own ideology ahead of the country.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The Republican voters in Louisiana thought otherwise, and until Romney gets the required amount of delegates to secure the nomination, other voters in other states will get that chance, too.

Frustrating, ain’t it?

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Would that be good for the country, or good for conservatism?

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

That’s fine you are of course free to vote or not as you please, and for whatever principals you choose. I see things differently than you. I don’t think Romney is the best candidate who could have run just the best who is currently running. I don’t believe he is a liberal like many here claim he is. You may think I’m mistaken but you are intitled to your opinion just as I am

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Jannymae, you have a nice day too.

Rusty Allen on March 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Congratulations, we’re all traitors to the cause.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Speak for yourself:

Romneycare Becomes Obamacare, Then Coultercare

From the article:

In case you missed it,”What she doesn’t appear to realize is how useful her column will be to defenders of Obamacare.”

When you lay down with liberals you become a socialist supporter. :o)

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Once again, we’re back to guilt trip 101.

I voted for McCain in ’08, but he lost because he was a TERRIBLE candidate. If Mitt Romney gets the nomination, and he loses, it will be his fault, not mine or anyone else’s.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Hope you like getting raped.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Typical liberal sentiment. I believe such implied threats are illegal in America today.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Chuckles from last night’s Gridiron Dinner:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry spoke for the Republicans and gave a well-received speech in which he panned his own unsuccessful presidential campaign. He noted that he was once, briefly, the front-runner for the Republican nomination: “It was the three most exhilarating hours of my life.”

But, he noted, he stumbled soon enough. “Here’s the hardest part for me,” he said. “Weakest Republican field in history and they kicked my butt.” He suggested part of his problem may have been that he has a college degree in animal husbandry. “Animal husbandry,” he deadpanned. “That sounds like what Rick Santorum thinks gay marriage leads to.”

Mr. Perry also got a jab in at GOP front-runner Mitt Romney and his wealth, saying that standing next to him on debate stages “I kept waiting for him to say, ’Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?’”

jb34461 on March 25, 2012 at 12:57 PM

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM

No, people who don’t like Romney are neither stupid nor un-American and I don’t think that a vote for Santorum in the primary is a vote for Obama.

But we all have the right to say whatever we want, even it is stupid or wrong.

Gelsomina on March 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

When you lay down with liberals you become a socialist supporter. :o)

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Laying down with liberals means voting for Obama.

I’d rather stand with someone like Romney than bend over for Obama. I see you’d prefer the latter.

Don’t say you wouldn’t, because there’s no way around it. This election’s an “one or the other” proposition. I’m prepared to support who ever the nominee is against Obama. I can see you won’t.

You’d rather bend over. But then again, some people get off on being dominated.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

DannoJyd – can your imaginary Moby friend Danielvito come out to play?

Buttercup on March 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Conservative ideals work well every time they are tried. Socialist ideas never do, so I guess it would be good for America. At least that is what we TEA Party people believe today.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Once again, we’re back to guilt trip 101.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Both candidates running were terrible.

And you’re not saying that I haven’t thought myself.

But if you’re fine with Obama getting another four years, great. I see that as a biggest threat we face.

Me, I’d rather live to fight another day than throw myself on my sword.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

astonerii on March 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM

We seem to be largly in agreement except for your last point. Where is the proof that his committee selected people that did not meet his political views? Honestly, that notion makes no sense at all, and if true it supports my contention that he is ill equipped to be a Republican POTUS.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

mark81150 on March 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the compliments.

I see it as being about innocent ignorance and willful ignorance, with false pride leading to the latter.

Lightswitch on March 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

You may think I’m mistaken but you are intitled to your opinion just as I am

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You are right as to being entitled to your opinion. I even respect that right, yet my purpose has been to educate, thus I’ve left link after link showing Sketchy’s penchant towards liberalism in this topic.

Back in the day I was put to the challenge of defending liberalism. After failing I had learned the facts, and I’ve been a recovering Dem-o-holic ever since that wishes to share the insite I learned 30 years ago

Today I do my pennence by working at the grass roots level, work regularly as a Poll Watcher, and have even become an elected delegate. I find it sad that there aren’t more out here getting educated and involved.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

DannoJyd – can your imaginary Moby friend Danielvito come out to play?

Buttercup on March 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

How liberally irrelevant of you! 0bama would be proud. /s

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m not arguing. That’s why i am a conservative. But dude, where is your precious conservative? There isn’t one. It’s not Santorum. A conservative wouldn’t sell out to the RINO establishment to be a team player.

Many of your set the bar so high, no one would ever measure up to your standards. Instead of trying to find someone who could potentially fill Reagan’s shoes, you want to find the person who’s already wearing them. Who would want to run when you’re facing that much scrutiny from your own side?

I’m also a realist. There is no perfect conservative candidate. Not this time. We gotta go with who brought us to the dance.

Not only that, but I used to be a supporter of the TEA Party at one time, but I’m starting to feel that they are becoming the thing they rallied against. It doesn’t take long for a belief to or passion to become an ideology. But when it become the thing you’d rather die for than fight for, then you’ve lost the nobility in your cause. I’d rather be my own man and stand on my own than be a part of a movement and let that dictate what I do.

But there are two labels I would fight and die for without hesitation. I’m a Christian and I’m an American. And those two labels trump any ideology.

Do you think those men and women who fought and died for this country gave a rat’s ass if you were a part of the tea party or not. Do you think they cared if you were a liberal or a conservative?

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

You’d rather bend over. But then again, some people get off on being dominated.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:00 PM

and mitt is a Conservative . . . ROTFLMAOKABTF!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

That’s why i am a conservative

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

You and Mitt both. /s

LMAO!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

You and Mitt both. /s

LMAO!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

F.U.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Just because you are an educated voter/activist doesn’t necesarily mean that those with whome you disagree with you are not. I am a member of the republican town commitee here in Mass. I know what Mitt and Bill Weld before him were up against with 90% dem legislature. I wish they could inact policy as they saw fit but they are not dictators and had to work with dems. If you are as politically knowledgable as you claim you would know this to be true.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

DUMP SKETCHY MITTENS NOW!

AMERICA NEEDS COJONES ….VOTE PERRY/WEST!

Pragmatic on March 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Any excuse to work at liberal policies while claiming to be a Conservative is the act of a LIAR, and that is yet another reason the Etch-a-Sketch label fits RonMe to a tee.

I used to live in liberal ChiTcago but I had the good sense to get out. Today I live as a free man, not as one of the serfs to liberalism.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

‘nuther win for the “Christian Cardigan”!

OkieDoc on March 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hope you like getting raped.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM

WTH? You’d do yourself a world of good to clarify, put that into a different context, or apologize. If not, that’s worthy of the ban hammer …

ShainS on March 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM

F.U.

Pcoop on March 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Thank you! I ALWAYS appreciate proofs that liberalism is a mental disease that devolves people into sophmoric irrelevant states of mind.

See now what happens when you lay down with liberals? You devolve into one yourself. Better get the cure before more damage occurs.

We Chrisitian Conservatives will continue to pray for you and your ilk.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Some people choose to stay and fight, knowing there will be more losses than victories. Is that wrong? I think Mitt realized that as governer his hands were tied and decided as president his vision was more of a possibility. Either way noone can really know his motives or where his heart is except the man himself.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

So you believe that Mitt MOVED TO Mass. in order to fight the good fight? Couldn’t it be equally plausable that Mitt found himself more comfortable when amongst like minded liberals?

Shall I go dig out the link to Mitt shying away from being a Republican?

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Shall I go dig out the link to Mitt shying away from being a Republican?

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:45 PM

If you lived here you would understand that the word republican is considered a dirty word. I was in a college class when Regan was shot. When they announced it the whole class stood up and cheered except for me and few others. If candidate Romney had proclaimed his republican creds he would have been killed in the election. I call it being pragmatic.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

For the Sketchy supporters that argue he had a difficult time because he was in a liberal state, I offer you this:

Romney once argued his only connection to GOP was party registration, but that’s not the full picture

Now DO feel free to tell me about his Conservative Credentials. LOL!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

In the 1964 GOP primaries, Barry Goldwater, the libertarian-leaning conservative candidate, won the states of the Deep South and managed to defeat Nelson Rockefeller, a wealthy Northeastern Republican, for the nomination, whereupon Goldwater lost to incumbent President Johnson in the general election. Goldwater’s loss to LBJ was a wipeout, a debacle, a rout. No candidate for president since that election has equaled or surpassed Johnson’s 1964 percentage margin (61%) of the popular vote. Goldwater was beaten so badly his grandchildren were born cross-eyed.

Johnson won so handily because he successfully portrayed Goldwater as an extremist, although Goldwater’s viewpoint and policy ideas would be recognized instantly by most of us as largely traditionally conservative. And then, of course, there was Goldwater himself, a good and principled man but completely devoid of anything remotely resembling charisma and utterly lacking in rhetorical ability.

Different times, similar dynamic, vastly higher stakes. If you Not Romneys succeed in nominating Santorum, you’ll get your Goldwater but you’ll also guarantee President Obama’s reelection, leaving the President unhindered during his second term as he and his allies and associates continue their project to transform our country into yet another failed socialist superstate.

I don’t fool myself into believing Romney is a sure thing, but based solely upon strength of organization, fundraising ability, and executive experience, I would have to give Romney an edge over Santorum. I figure Romney’s odds of defeating President Obama at or about 50-50. Santorum none.

You just can’t make the case for Santorum’s candidacy. There’s no there there.

troyriser_gopftw on March 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Romney runs to win, otherwise why run? You can’t win statewide office in Mass by proclaiming yourself a consevative republican. It just doesn’t happen. Does Romney have core conservative covictions? I think on some issues he does and on others he just isn’t so passionate about.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

California Republican Presidential Primary released today from LA Times/USC

Romney 42, Santorum 23, Gingrich 12, Paul 10

Romney by +19

Romney 42, Santorum 23, Gingrich 12, Paul 10 also means:

Not Romney 45 (23+ 12+ 10)=45, Romney 42

Not Romney by +3

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Massachusetts, despite all the problems, is a very nice place to live. I love the climate the land and the culture. I also love the people when the subject is not politics.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM

and mitt is a Conservative . . . ROTFLMAOKABTF!

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yes. Are you?

rich801 on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Lyndon Johnson won because

* he was the incumbent President
* he was the vice-President for the martyred Jack Kennedy
* in 1964, there was no internet, talk radio or FOX News
* the RINOs refused to support Goldwater

And if a conservative like Goldwater was not elected, then how was a conservative like Reagan elected twice, and in landslides?

Your analysis comes right out of the mid-1970s, and it’s the standard legacy media conventional wisdom to this day.

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Does Romney have core conservative covictions?

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You named the source of the problem, and when a RonMe worker makes the Etch-a-Sketch analogy it becomes clear that Sketchy cannot be trusted on ANYTHING.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Not Romney by +3

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

We do not yet possess the bioengineering technology necessary to fuse Santorum, Gingrich, and Paul together into a single Not Romney entity, especially one driven to simultaneously commit adultery, condemn itself for it, and blame the Illumnati for causing it in the first place.

troyriser_gopftw on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree and when/if he becomes president we will need to hold his feet to the fire to govern as he say’s he will.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Yes. Are you?

rich801 on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

More so than the creater of the blueprint for 0bama’s Socialist 0bamacare, even on my worst days. Indeed, since 0bama relied so heavily on Mittcare to develop 0bamacare it could be argued that 0bama is more conservative than Sketchy.

ABO = ABR = No to Soclaiized Medicine.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I would rather battle 0bama with a Republican Congress. Making a PROVEN socialist THE leader of the Republican Party is foolhearty at best.

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Standard legacy media conventional wisdom is that Republicans are evil and socialism is cool, so you just more or less threw that out there because you liked the euphony of the word string ‘standard legacy media conventional wisdom’. It’s an empty statement.

Attempts to portray Reagan as an extremist didn’t and couldn’t work because, based on Reagan’s very moderate record as California governor, he wasn’t an extremist of any sort.

My analysis didn’t come from any time period, although I grew up in the 70′s and was forced to wear a polyester leisure suit for my senior pictures. The Goldwater/Santorum comparison seems an appropriate parallel, especially given the pasting we’re going to get if you and yours manage to get the guy nominated.

troyriser_gopftw on March 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

In the end, the election will be between two people, Obama and the Republican. No matter how much you dislike either or both, that’s your choice.

If you do not vote for the Republican, you are helping to reelect Obama, PERIOD. Whether you vote for Obama, a third party, leave the top line blank, or stay home altogether, it’s just a matter of degree – but you ARE helping reelect him.

EVEN if you live in a “dark” red or blue state, your vote DOES count. Remember 2000, Zippy? How the Gorebots tried to use the national popular vote as some sort of leverage? Every vote counts, from Connecticut to Mississippi.

In fact, if the couple million “evangelicals” who decided to stay home rather than vote for a man who got a DUI 30 years earlier had done their dang duty and voted, it wouldn’t even have been close.

So that’s it. Now, it IS your vote and your right to do with as you choose. BUT please do NOT pretend you aren’t helping reelect Obama, because you are. Take responsibility for your actions.

Adjoran on March 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:06 PM

California Republican Presidential Primary released today from LA Times/USC

Romney 42, Santorum 23, Gingrich 12, Paul 10

Romney by +19

means 172 delegates in a winner-take-all state primary. Go and enjoy Santorum’s +5 net delegate gain from LA.

galtani on March 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM

The Goldwater/Santorum comparison seems an appropriate parallel . . .

That’s an empty statement.

Emperor Norton on March 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM

DannoJyd on March 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Again, that is your view and that is your choice. I just happen to disagree. I will alway fight for conservative principals not so much social con. I wish a more conservative person with a chance of beating Obama were running but it is what it is.

steel guy on March 25, 2012 at 2:23 PM