Sources: Tebow chose the Jets because he thinks he can beat Sanchez out for starting QB

posted at 4:50 pm on March 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

We’re almost done with the “Tebow among the lepers” posts, I promise, but this was the one loose thread left in yesterday’s item and I wanted to tie it up for you. Why, oh why, oh why would a guy who would have been a marquee starter in Jacksonville come to New York to be a back-up? Answer, allegedly: Because he thinks he can be a marquee starter in New York before very long.

I think this might be it for me as a Jets fan, guys. Even a beta male can only take so much.

A major factor in Tebow’s push to come to New York over Jacksonville, his hometown, is that he sees a clear path to resuming his career as a starter, sources tell the Daily News.

The Jets will start Tebow off in a limited role as the Wildcat quarterback — GM Mike Tannenbaum must have said 20 times the other night that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow is the backup — but what other backup flies cross-country on a private jet, as Tebow did Thursday from Van Nuys, Calif., to Morristown, N.J., only to disembark to an adoring crowd of Tebow-ing fans? (The plane’s tail number? N15QB.)…

If the conventional offense with Sanchez running it is ineffective and Tebow is moving the ball in the outdated Wildcat, he will get increased snaps. That puts Sanchez on the bench. He will pout. More plays for Tebow could lead to an eventual flip-flop on the depth chart. The Jets must be creative in giving Tebow a diverse package, otherwise defenses will zero in on him the way the Patriots did in their 45-10 playoff victory over the Broncos…

Tebow is a polarizing figure, and Sanchez has become a lightning rod himself in New York. The fans will take sides. The players will take sides. The coaches will take sides. Tebow says he’s been friends with Sanchez for several years, but a quarterback controversy could end that.

Supposedly no one in Jacksonville’s front office wanted him except the owner, which means — incredibly — that Tebow might have faced an even more toxic locker-room environment there than in New York. Best-case scenario: A newly motivated Sanchez buckles down and finally learns how to complete a pass longer than six yards. Worst-case scenario: He crumbles under the pressure of Jets fans chanting “TE-BOW, TE-BOW” every time he misses a receiver and they end up platooning to the bitter end of a glorious 6-10 season.

It’s one thing to root for a team that’s constantly embroiled in locker-room backbiting and obnoxious media drama if they’re winning, but perennial losers are fun only when they’re lovable. (If they weren’t, the Cubs’ fan base would have died out decades ago.) I feel like I’m stuck in a bad marriage. I made a commitment in the foolishness of youth — the Giants have won four Super Bowls(!) since I started wearing green — and now I’m duty-bound to honor it forever, no matter how loveless and resentful the relationship becomes. At this point, it’s like “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”; even if they did somehow go all the way to a championship, my gut reaction would be, “About time, you LOSERS.” And the thing is, divorce isn’t really an option. Not because I’d miss them if I switched allegiances but because it’s an absolutely metaphysical certainty that as soon as I dumped them, they’d win the Super Bowl the very next season. After what they’ve put me through for 30 years, I won’t let the bastards have the satisfaction.

Self-reflective exit question: Would I be an atheist if I had grown up a Giants fan? Dude, four Super Bowls.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh bull$hit…Tebow chose the Jets because they made him a good offer….

BigWyo on March 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

They’re stirring up drama.

Sanchez & Tebow are personal friends.

portlandon on March 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Peyton Manning chose Denver because he wanted to stick with the Equine theme for his team mascot….

And he hates Tim Tebow…

BigWyo on March 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

You’d make a great abused spouse, AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I think you will grow to love Tebow and all he brings to your fine city, Allah.

DrStock on March 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

God put Tebow on the Jets to punish non-believers like Allahpundit.

God has a sense of humor.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I don’t believe the reports about this.

Weight of Glory on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Tebow is a virgin and still gets laid more than AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s the most incredible part to me. Jacksonville, what are you thinking?

changer1701 on March 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Tebow is a virgin and still gets laid more than AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Oh my…..

BigWyo on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

New York could use a little religion.

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Saw nothing more than gossip and speculation, but it sure gins up the hit count and newspaper sales.

Don’t be such a buzzkill, AP. It’s a badge of honor to stay on the bandwagon.

kim roy on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

If this happens, Tebow is going to lose the Latino vote when he runs for President in 20 years.

portlandon on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

God sent Tebow to New York much like he sent Jesus to where the sinners are. New York is a cesspool, and Tebow is about to clean housse.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Golly Gee…imagine that !

Not only can Tebow run, pass, score, and WIN games….the guy can even think for himself and has good business sense !!

HE CAN DO IT ALL !!

BigSven on March 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Do not be surprised when Bloomberg caves in to the mob in NY who wants to cruxify Tebow for being a Christian, and washes his hands of it.

History is repeating itself. It is known.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

That’s the most incredible part to me. Jacksonville, what are you thinking?

changer1701 on March 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

“Man, that Blaine Gabbert is something else!”

Seriously, though, Tebow’s skill set requires you to have an offense that can play to his strengths while having a defense capable of letting you play the field-position game.

The Jets have this kind of defense. Jacksonville, though? Not so much.

teke184 on March 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

There’s nothing wrong with Tebow wanting to be the starter…he’s a great young man, but he is still an athlete, and a competitor…I have a hard time thinking he would be content to be Sanchez’ backup…of course he’s going to think he has a chance to get the starting job, and he’s going to work as hard as he can to end up in that position.

ellifint on March 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Tebow can’t really pass. Other than that, your post was somewhat accurate.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I wonder what the Denver fans are gonna chant if Peyton suddenly grows a few warts. BTW, off topic, but did you see that Joba Chamberlain dislocated his freaking ankle jumping on a tranpoline with his kid while recovering from Tommy John surgery? He won’t be back this year and I assume the Yankees will dump him. I hate it.

a capella on March 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM

You’d make a great abused spouse, AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM

lol!

tom daschle concerned on March 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I tend to think Tebow may be better than Sanchez, mostly b/c Sanchez is a male bimbo.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Please give me your thoughts:

When does Ryan pull Sanchez and replace him with Tebow:

1) When Sanchez throws his first interception? or

2) When Sanchez throws his first incomplete pass?

HeatSeeker2011 on March 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I don’t feel one bit sorry for you Allah. I’m a Bears fan. You can’t imagine what it is like to have a franchise run by a family of penny-pinching narcissists like Mike McCaskey.

Hell, McCaskey fired the cheerleaders.

novaculus on March 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Thread Theme Music!!
(sarc)
———–

Elton John – Bennie and the Jets **with lyrics**
*************************************************

canopfor on March 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I HIGHLY doubt Tebow picked the Jets (if he even GOT to pick, as that item is also in dispute) because he wants to knock off Sanchez as starter. That’s fools trying to start drama so they can continue their “polarizing” storyline about Tebow.

When it comes down to it, Tebow–if he got to pick–most likely picked NY because they wanted him. Why go to Jacksonville and be faced with the same exact situation he was faced with here in Denver (i.e. the “football guys” who don’t want him, don’t respect him, don’t think highly of him or his skills, and begrudgingly play him because fans are on the verge of rioting). It is natural, logical, resonable, HUMAN, to go with someone who WANTS you, rather then be stuck with someone who doesn’t.

As a side note, Tebow brings PASSION to the game, and perhaps, at the end of the day, that PASSION is all the Jets need to get going.

LiquidH2O on March 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Bears just signed Michael Bush. Not a bad pickup for penny pinchers.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

HE CAN DO IT ALL !!

BigSven on March 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Tim Tebow once threw for a touchdown and ran for a touchdown. On the same play.

HeatSeeker2011 on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We’re almost done with the “Tebow among the lepers” posts, I promise,

Keep it up AP. I’m loving these.

And whatever you do, do not become a Giants fan. I want Eli to get at least 1 more ring. Now, you might consider the Cowboys, and consign them to the wilderness. BTW, Mets, right?

rbj on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Tebow is a believer – it’s all good.

Pork-Chop on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Tebow is a virgin and still gets laid more than AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Not counting the HumpBot?

SparkPlug on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hispanics all worship Sanchez, and Christians worship Tebow, so it will be fun to seem them war over who the QB is.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

At the risk of brown-nosing, this post encapsulates virtually everything I like about your writing style. Keep it up! :-)

Doomberg on March 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Tim Tebow once threw for a touchdown and ran for a touchdown. On the same play.

HeatSeeker2011 on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Wasn’t that Elway who caught his own ball for a TD one time?

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM

This story reeks of someone trying to poison the water hole with a rumor.

Weight of Glory on March 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

History is repeating itself. It is known.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Yea. I don’t get the Tebow hate at all. He seems like a terrific person to me.

SparkPlug on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Unless Tebow starts throwing the ball better, he’s a novelty act at best. If not for Denver’s defense, some of those comebacks would not have been remotely possible (witness their debacles against Detroit and New England). They laid an egg against KC on the last day of the season (got shut out, as I recall) then backed into the playoffs when the Raiders laid an egg against San Diego. Yes, they beat Pittsburgh (damn you, Steelers) but New England exposed them for what they were: mostly reliant on their defense to give their limited an offense a chance. I despise the Jets so the upcoming drama will be epic. 6-10 might be optimistic.

Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Bull S+++

KBird on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Sounds like media with nothing better to do are stirring up a controversy when, as far as we all know, there is no friggin controversy.

What has Tebow said in public for all to hear? I ignore anything else because it is the rats and sewer dwellers who inhabit the media who are lying and spreading smelly crap just to allow them to make money writing bull crap articles to keep their jobs.

As you can see I have NO respect for the media.

PhilipJames on March 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Tebow is a virgin and still gets laid more than AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

*spitchokecough*…pepsi…all over screen….desk…keyboard, oh well, I needed a new desktop.

Rogue on March 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Not counting the HumpBot?

SparkPlug on March 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM

AP lives vicariously thru the humpbot; as he’s never done those actions in real life.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

so it was the denver defense that saved tebow?? you mean the same defense that kept losing when orton was the starter??

chasdal on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Bears just signed Michael Bush. Not a bad pickup for penny pinchers.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Have you seen what they offered to Matt Forte? Understand how little they paid for what they have gotten already?

And, to be fair, we have a new generation of McCaskey running the day to day now. He has made a few changes, but it remains to be seen if there is going to be improvement.

Ditka famously said about George Halas, “He throws nickels around like manhole covers.” It could be their family motto, when it comes to the team.

novaculus on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I do think Tebow wants the starting job… but I don’t think he wants it immediately.

Tebow picked the Jets because the Jets are actually a pretty good team… in which he would have a shot of getting the starting position… and still get playing time while he’s still “backup” QB.

I don’t think Tebow will be the starting QB for the Jets for another 3-4 years.

ninjapirate on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I don’t think Tebow will be the starting QB for the Jets for another 3-4 years.

ninjapirate on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

If Tebow loses his trademark super-muscular look for something a bit more inline with other QB’s in the league, you’ll know if he’s serious or not. If he stays too buffed up, he’s not.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Tebow now scouring Craigslist for a used jawbone.

Ward Cleaver on March 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Some people I know here in Seattle would have you believe that you were pre-destined to be a Jets fan, AP. Those same people also think that it is your “lot in life” to be an atheist, as well.

My collie says:

What do Seattle people know, CC? Red Buttons could build an entire comedy routine around Seattle sports fans….never won a World Series…and never won a Super Bowl…and on and on.

It the rain, collie. People in Seattle wouldn’t know what to do with a winner. Winners and perpetual rain are just mutually exclusive.

CyberCipher on March 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

chasdal on March 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Yeah. If the defense had played as well when Orton was starting, Orton wouldn’t have gotten benched. How can you explain game-after-game of inept offense for 3 1/2 quarters then still pulling it out. Bad defense and you don’t get a chance.

Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The way Tebow trains is definitely part of his problem…. whether he gets a chance to change will depend on how the Jets use him.

ninjapirate on March 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Blaine Gabbert is a bust. Sanchez is better.

rubberneck on March 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I heard Tim Tebow say he didn’t have a choice in the matter.

Kjeil on March 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM

There isn’t a whole lot of evidence to suggest that the defense played any better Post-Tebow. The main difference was the the record of the teams Tebow went against was worse, overall. He had an easier schedule during the good part of last season; than Orton did.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This only works if the Jets re-establish the running game they had in 2009 and 2010, which means both finding a new third down/reciving back and fixing up the O-line (as bad as the final two games against the Giants and the Dolphins may have been, the tone for the Jets’ season was set in the loss to the Ravens, when they couldn’t run the ball and Sanchez was sacked roughly 75 times).

Getting the running game back to where it was in 09-10, and not only do you again make it easier for Sanchez to work play-action passes, but even in the Wildcat, it means defenses won’t be able to focus just on Tebow running the ball when he’s in the game.

I stated rooting for the Giants in 1965, so I only missed the first year of their dismal 17-year run without a trip to the playoffs (followed after the ’81 season, by three more nightmarish seasons before the dark times finally ended). It took Pete Rozelle to finally go in after the infamous ‘Fumble” loss to Herm Edwards and the Eagles in ’78 to get the Maras to hire a competent general manager in George Young to finally start turning things around. As a former Jets employee, Roger Goodell may have to consider doing the same thing for Woody Johnson if this experiment does have Jets’ fans later this year wistfully hoping for a return of the halcyon days of 2011.

jon1979 on March 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Tebow is a virgin and still gets laid more than AP.

lorien1973 on March 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That’s so funny.

Lightswitch on March 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Even in that simulation video Tebow looks like a Halfback or beefed up Tight End.

AYNBLAND on March 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Sanchez is not a confident decision maker anymore. When he throws an interception, the NY media and his coaches curse him. Then when he will not throw to open receivers out of a fear of throwing an interception, the NY media and his coaches curse him.

Tebow is 100% about confidence in himself, his God and the team he leads. Tebow doesn’t know how not to be a leader. He does’t listen to the media…they listen to him.

Therefore Tebow is the right man in the right place. Sanchez will be traded to Miami before the season is over.

jimw on March 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

FWIW, Tebow has said that he didn’t have any choice between Jax/NYJ.

RightOFLeft on March 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Not if they served bacon shakes at the Ghettolands.

JohnGalt23 on March 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM

“Tebow consistently punches above his weight class, or something” — Obama

John the Libertarian on March 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM

One good thing, some Church is going to get Sanchez as a faithful member for several months…

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM

AP…I too am a lifelong Jet fan…He chose NY for one reason only MADISON AVE. They already have a Jockey poster at the Lincoln tunnel up. He can make BANK in advertising in NY…That won’t happen in Jacksonville.

Political Chef on March 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

He’s probably right. Sanchez is awful, and has shown almost no development since he got to the NFL.

That said, isn’t it still in question just how much say Tebow actually had in his destination? If you listen to that interview yesterday, he literally keeps repeating (three times in two minutes) how grateful he is for the opportunity. He honestly didn’t sound that excited.

Also, one of AP’s funnier posts of late.

BadgerHawk on March 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

“Unless Tebow starts throwing the ball better, he’s a novelty act at best.”
Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I’m no statistician, and I didn’t watch every game Tebow played this year, but the in the games I did watch his receivers dropped a lot of balls that were catchable. Passing is still a two party drill.

I wish the kid well simply because folks say he can’t play in the NFL. Go Tebow! (as a Bama fan I can cheer for him since Bama made him cry in 2009).

rammerjammer on March 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM

its beginning to sound like Tebow is the Football equivilent of Chuck Norris. LOL!

44Magnum on March 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM

What gets more ink this year?

Romney vs. Obama or Tebow vs. Sanchez

BocaJuniors on March 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

This is probably closer to reporting Tebow’s exact quote:

Tebow said, contrary to some reports, he didn’t have final say in where he was going.

“Ultimately, I really didn’t have any because the Broncos had all that power,” Tebow said, adding that Denver was “gracious” in the way it handled the process. “I was just kind of watching and waiting – kind of like everybody else.

Tebow isn’t even officially a Jet yet and the NY media is already working their Broadway magic to create a story out of nothing.

RightOFLeft on March 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM

He could have probably beat out Gabbert easily. Now that his motives are clear he can expect a frosty reception.

Southernblogger on March 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

This story reeks of someone trying to poison the water hole with a rumor.
Weight of Glory on March 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

More “anonymous sources.” Sounds like a bunch of junk.

Shouldn’t this be an “it begins” post, AP? Timsanity is going to rock the NY back pages.

conservative pilgrim on March 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM

GO TEBOW!

KOOLAID2 on March 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Tebow is a unique player and a work in progress. Will he develop into a full fledged QB? Will he become a running back? Will he wind up being a linebacker? At this point, all we know is that the guy is a great athlete with great leadership skills. The Jets didn’t have to give up much to find out what this guy will eventually evolve into.

To me, it’s a win-win.

ardenenoch on March 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM

You know who is just laughing their @sses off at this? Us Giants fans. Who needs a running game or divine intervention? Eli Manning doesn’t.

TheLastBrainLeft on March 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Simple observation. Let me conspire.

This is the NFL official schedule rotation. Teams play their own divisional rivals two times each, and then rotate with other divisions. They also play the top teams from each division in their own conference based on their previous year.

The Broncos do not play the Jets or the Jaguars in 2012. That is a nice thing for the Broncos to avoid should Manning not be in as good of the health they claim. Or if Manning gets hurt.

But they do play Jacksonville AT HOME in 2013. Imagine Tebow rolling into town and Manning being injured or not as good as he once was.

Also, they do finally play the Jets… but it’s not until 2014 and it’s on the road. Tebow wouldn’t be rolling into Denver in 2013 either, since the Broncos are away against the 2012 East champs the following year.

Elway did not like Tebow. It was obvious. Guys like Elway never care for the unconventional QBs, like Flutie or Tebow. And the last thing Elway needs is for Tebow to come in as a Jaguar, even if they are a bad team, and play against them should Manning experiment not work out.

Washington Fancy on March 23, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Allah
I like you have been a Jets fan since 1982. I live near Cleveland so if I was a clowns fan I’d have suffered longer. I don’t believe Tim can beat Mark out, Mark is a huge competitor so I think he will step up. please look at the bright side, they got rid of the thug who started the BS in the locker room, Plax, now they have someone to push Sanchez, if they draft a big receiver were good.
ONCE YOU BLEED THE GREEN AND WHITE YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE!

angrymike on March 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Oh yes, I suffered the agony of the Kotite years in college, dutifully wearing my kelly green NYJ cap and taking meager solace in Adrian Murrell’s rare NFL recording of a 1000-yard rushing season on a losing team.

But the Jets are my #2 team. #1 is the Redskins. At least some of the current Jets know what the playoffs look like. The Skins have been bad for so long, we have legions of young fans who can’t even remember the Skins’ turn beating up on the Bills in the Upersay Owlbay.

fiatboomer on March 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Canopfor
now it’s Tebow and the Jets, lol ;-)

angrymike on March 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

ONCE YOU BLEED THE GREEN AND WHITE YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE!

angrymike on March 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Or, is it more like a case of herpes. That’s certainly what I feel like about the Astros.

TXUS on March 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM

This story reeks of someone trying to poison the water hole with a rumor.
Weight of Glory on March 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I really, really doubt that if this was part of Tebow’s thinking that he would discuss it with “anonymous sources.”

Someone’s making publicity & news out of nothing—there are several possibilites.

(P.S. I’m so glad I was able to see a couple of games at Wrigley Field.).

INC on March 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Political Chef on March 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I would offer a tangential theory. The main reason he picked the Jets, New York gives him the biggest megaphone to evangelize, and the biggest audience on earth to evangelize to. Full stop.

Good for him.

BocaJuniors on March 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM

The Sanchize has a fragile ego. The fail in the Jets dysfunctional locker room will be epic. After the 2nd patented 3 and out by Señor Sanchez, the fans will be screaming for salvation by Tebow. Gawd, Jets games are gonna be fun to watch this year.

philw1776 on March 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM

KOOLAID2
I rarely disagree with you but, it’s go Jets if it’s Tebow running the show we won’t make it past the championship game.

angrymike on March 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM

angrymike on March 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Who was the guy in the locker room? Holmes?

22044 on March 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I believe Tebow when he says he didn’t have an input into the decision. Having said that, there’s gonna be a lot of drama in New York this fall.

22044 on March 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Sanchez will be traded to Miami before the season is over.
jimw on March 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Sanchez just signed a gazillion dollar contract with the jets.

VBMax on March 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM

68 wins, 71 losses and 4 ties … 173 touchdowns, 220 interceptions … 1,886 completions out of 3,762 pass attempts for a pathetic 50.1% completion record.

New York and Jets supporters (fans not jock straps) still love that Jets QB, Namath. Namath’s record makes both Tebow and Sanchez look good, imo.

If any QB can make the Jets look good, it will be Tebow (and I can’t stand Tebow as a QB)…geez!

Karmi on March 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

When you are a losing NY team that has to compete for ticket sales with the other NY team that is the current Superbowl champion what do you do? Sign Tim Tebow.

monalisa on March 23, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The Jets have always had the notion all they need is a good QB. Tebow better learn to scramble. Or walk on water.

bloviator on March 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM

One more time. To all you Tebow doubters, he passed for a new SEC record over 4000 career yards besting Tim Couch and Rex Grossman. He also broke Herschel Walker’s rushing TD record in the SEC and won a Heisman while playing on 2 NC teams. In his 2nd pro year, marred by a lockout and backup position until midway through the season, he carried the Broncs to the playoffs. In his off time he did charity work and visited sick kids in the hospitals. Now he’s going to go clean up NYC. Can’t wait for the Jets to play Denver.

Kissmygrits on March 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM

And, AP, you’d deserve it.

So Sanchez now has an impetus to play better. That’s a good thing. Maybe Tebow can be a good influence on the malcontents in the locker room, too.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on March 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM

“Tebow is a polarizing figure,”

I like how the Democrat Media Complex calls Tebow “polarizing” because they hate Christianity. Tebow has done absolutely nothing to be labeled “polarizing”. It is the idiots who hate his guts because they hate Christians that are the polarizing ones!

OxyCon on March 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Apparently you do not like Tebow. I do believe the pass he threw in overtime in the playoff game was well over five yards. If you do not like him just say so. But do not make your article worthless by saying such belittling things that are just not so.

Alborn on March 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Kissmygrits on March 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM

——–

He finished the season with a passer rating in the 40′s. Average quarterbacks are in the 60′s. He is a below average NFL quarter back who won games because the DEFENSE kept the games close enough through the first 3 quarters where he was useless until the last 7 minutes of the game where he finally got it clicking.

That’s not a winning formula. You cant have your quarter back playing like trash for 75% of the game and count on luck to win games.

Politricks on March 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Tebow can’t really pass. Other than that, your post was somewhat accurate.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Allahpundit called Namath “the greatest Jet ever” last night.
Namath threw way more interceptions than TDs in his career, & his lifetime completion rate was 50.1%.

So Tebow’s a better passer than the greatest Jet ever.

itsnotaboutme on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He finished the season with a passer rating in the 40′s.

It was 72.9, better than six QBs.

That’s not a winning formula.

Politricks on March 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Tebow took over a lousy 1-4 team & went 7-4 in the remaining games.

That is a winning formula.

itsnotaboutme on March 23, 2012 at 9:14 PM

…And his QB rating doesn’t include his outstanding leadership skills & tremendous running ability.

itsnotaboutme on March 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Well said.

I actually like Tebow but he has ALOT of work to do to become a good QB. Some of his nutjob fans drive me insane too. And many on Hotair last night actually had the incredible nerve to say the Broncos would’ve better off with Timmy than Peyton Manning!!

They ignore many of the facts that you just pointed out about the defense keeping them in games. They also ignore that in 14 starts Tebow has only led the Broncos to 20 points or more a total of 5 times!! How much pressure do you think that puts on the defense?? They ignore that he has a 46% completion percentage!

Peyton vs Tebow??? It’s an insult to even debate it.

The truth is many of Tebow’s fans aren’t really football fans, they just like the kid because he’s a good Christian and never watched much football before him. So they have no clue as to what they’re talking about.

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Allahpundit called Namath “the greatest Jet ever” last night.

So Tebow’s a better passer than the greatest Jet ever.

itsnotaboutme on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Based on what you said, Tebow is still worse in completion percentage at 46%.

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I like how the Democrat Media Complex calls Tebow “polarizing” [...].

OxyCon on March 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM

“polarizing” and “controversial” and maybe a few others all seem to mean “advocating un-herd-like behavior.” Just saw “polarizing” on O’Reilly a minute ago and had to shrug. Again. It’s only polarizing or controversial in the tiny world defined of Diane Sawyer’s Rolodex.

I need to start searching for those keys when I’m doing the news-thing, just to find more conservative oriented stories.

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM

lol … This unsolved mystery turned you into Colombom AP. :) I’m glad you are able to get some context for something clearly very important to you.

I bet he saw New York as his best opportunity to grow, personally and professionally. And that’s all.

But I just totally made that up, and it doesn’t involve rivalry or sneakiness, so maybe we can all call that “Explanation B.”

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM