Quotes of the day

posted at 10:52 pm on March 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Friday is the second anniversary of ObamaCare. It is past time to abolish the program, root and branch. The Supreme Court will soon have a crack at this; arguments about the program’s constitutionality open before it next week. But whatever the justices decide in what is certain to be a landmark decision, the case against ObamaCare extends far beyond questions about its constitutionality. President Obama’s program is an unfolding disaster for the American economy, a budget-busting entitlement, and a dramatic new federal intrusion into our lives.”

***

“If Obamacare is upheld, it fundamentally changes the nature of the American social contract. It means the effective end of a government of enumerated powers — i.e., finite, delineated powers beyond which the government may not go, beyond which lies the free realm of the people and their voluntary institutions. The new post-Obamacare dispensation is a central government of unlimited power from which citizen and civil society struggle to carve out and maintain spheres of autonomy…

“Rarely has one law so exemplified the worst of the Leviathan state — grotesque cost, questionable constitutionality and arbitrary bureaucratic coerciveness. Little wonder the president barely mentioned it in his latest State of the Union address. He wants to be reelected. He’d rather talk about other things.

“But there’s no escaping it now. Oral arguments begin Monday at 10 a.m.”

***

“[A] review of lower court rulings by conservative judges, subtle signals from individual justices, and interviews with professors and judges across the ideological spectrum suggest that presumption is wrong – and that the court will uphold the law

“It’s almost like they’re confessing to some secret vice when they say they don’t think (the law) should be struck down,” said former U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Michael McConnell, a George W. Bush appointee who now teaches at Stanford Law School, referring to some fellow conservatives…

“Wilkinson, who was on George W. Bush’s short list for the Supreme Court, has not presided over any of the challenges to the healthcare law that have made their way through U.S. courts.

“But he suggested in a recent book on constitutional theory that the law was valid, subject to Congress’ power to regulate commerce in the states: ‘The idea that Congress is constitutionally disabled under the commerce power from regulating activity affecting one-sixth of the national economy strikes me as a heavy lift.’ Healthcare spending totals more than 17 percent of U.S. gross domestic product.”

***

“The countless unprecedented things that Congress has done over the centuries were not, for that reason, unconstitutional. Social Security, Medicare, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (Erisa), and the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, the 1986 law passed to prevent hospitals from refusing to care for uninsured patients in acute distress, all come to mind. (From the perspective of today’s toxic politics, it’s a miracle that any of these laws actually got passed, but that’s a separate issue.) So there must be some problem with the Affordable Care Act other than ‘never before.’…

“The government argues that, to the contrary, the ‘uncompensated consumption of health care’ by those who are willfully or helplessly uninsured is itself an enormous economic activity. The uninsured don’t exist apart from commerce. To the contrary, their medical care results in some $43 billion of uncovered health care costs annually and, through cost-shifting, adds $1,000 a year to the average cost of a family insurance policy. People who don’t want to buy broccoli or a new car can eat brussels sprouts or take the bus, but those without health insurance are in commerce whether they like it or not.”

***

“On the contrary, under the administration’s logic about the interstate effects of the health insurance market, not purchasing broccoli would in fact affect the larger market for the vegetable. Just as most people will utilize some sort of medical care during their lifetimes, nearly everyone will move from place to place, and everyone will consume food of some kind. This necessitates decisions about what kind of food to eat, and how to get from one place to another. Choosing to walk, or use the bus, or buy a Toyota rather than, say, purchase a vehicle made by GM would certainly have some effect on the market for GM’s automobiles. Buying carrots or arugula rather than broccoli would similarly have an effect on the broccoli market…

“It is hard, then, to see what limits, if any, would exist on congressional power under the Commerce Clause should the mandate be upheld. This is not an entirely unusual conclusion. Harvard law professor Charles Fried, who believes the mandate is constitutional, told Congress last year that the same constitutional provisions that permit the mandate would also permit Congress to compel the purchase of broccoli or any other vegetable. ‘Force you to pay for something? I don’t see why not. It may not be a good idea, but I don’t see why it’s unconstitutional,’ he said. To accept this interpretation is to accept that there are no limits on the power granted to Congress on the Commerce Clause. That presents a problem for the mandate’s defenders because the Constitution is a limiting document. The Obama administration, however, has consistently failed to explain what limits would exist under the Commerce Clause if the mandate were upheld.”

***

“I’m speaking, of course, about Social Security and Medicare. Each program is a form of ‘social insurance’ and each serves the same basic function: To protect us from financial shocks that we cannot anticipate or avoid. With Social Security, the shock is reaching retirement without enough income. With Medicare, the shock is high medical bills during old age. During our working years, we pay into these programs by handing over portions of our incomes, in the form of payroll taxes. And we don’t have a choice about it, unless we want to start evading taxes.

“The Affordable Care Act is also a form of social insurance. It, too, seeks to protect us from problems that we cannot anticipate or avoid: Illness or accident before we turn 65. To get that protection, we must contribute towards its cost—by obtaining a qualified health plan on our own or, failing that, paying a fee to the government. The government then uses that fee to finance the provision of health care services for those who couldn’t pay for it on their own. The obligation is, if anything, less onerous than the one for Medicare and Social Security. By law, the government cannot impose criminal penalties on people who fail to meet the mandate. The worst the government can do is withhold future tax refunds.

“So why is the Affordable Care Act such an unconscionable infringement of liberty, while those two other, more revered programs are not?”

***

“Hitherto, most attention has been given to whether Congress, under its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce, may coerce individuals into engaging in commerce by buying health insurance. Now the Institute for Justice (IJ), a libertarian public interest law firm, has focused on this fact: The individual mandate is incompatible with centuries of contract law. This is so because a compulsory contract is an oxymoron

“The IJ argues: The 10th Amendment forbids Congress from exercising its commerce power to compel states to enter into contractual relations by effectively forcing states to ‘buy’ radioactive waste. Hence ‘the power to regulate commerce does not include the power to compel a party to take title to goods or services against its will.’ And if it is beyond Congress’s power to commandeer the states by compelling them to enter into contracts, it must likewise be beyond Congress’s power to commandeer individuals by requiring them to purchase insurance. Again, the 10th Amendment declares that any powers not given to the federal government are reserved to the states or to the people.

***

“[C]entral as the alleged abhorrence of legislating from the bench has been to the conservative movement for 30 years, it’s worth reflecting on the absurdity of the current situation. On what will probably be the most important and consequential high-court ruling in 13 years, since Bush v. Gore, conservatives will be cheering for their justices to violate what they tell the rest of us is their most fundamental and inviolate jurisprudential principle

“It’s just finding fancy justifications for a set of desired outcomes that are driven by ideology and not by any particular consistent legal view of the world. And people know that. Therefore, if the court does overturn the ACA, if this group of five conservatives legislates from the bench and violates the central conservative legal tenet of recent American history, enough Americans will smell a rat that the decision will invite a backlash. Certainly, liberals who were never wild about it (and there are many) would find themselves suddenly angry that it was negated by these five, not to mention furious at the sight of celebrating conservatives. And to independents who weren’t fans of the bill, Barack Obama can say, ‘OK, it’s gone, but if your 24-year-old daughter gets thrown off your plan, or your spouse gets denied coverage because of a preexisting condition, don’t blame me. I bestowed those rights. Some other people took them away.’”

***

“‘Up for grabs right now is whether the whole health-care plan could be declared unconstitutional. I don’t think that’s going to happen. But that’s a potential that could happen,’ attorney David Boies said…

“‘It could really define the powers of the federal government going forward in a whole variety of areas,’ said Boies.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It took:

bribes
blackmail
threats
back room deal
kick backs
abuse of power

and an outright trampling of the constitution to pass that beast.

All spending and revenue raising bills must originate in the house of representatives. This this was a Senate bill and the house was not allowed to alter one single jot or tittle.

The procedure was blatantly wrong to begin with.

The only reason the New Deal was approved is because FDR threatened to pack the court to gain a majority.

The New Deal is and was unconstitutional

The Rock on March 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM

MontanaMmmm on March 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Why you know I did.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I should not still be up.
Damn albuterol.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I think conservatives have the market on humor.

How Conservatives Made #iLikeObamaCare The Number One Topic On Twitter

If you’re proud of Obamacare and tired of the other side using it as a dirty word, complete this sentence: #ILikeObamacare because…

— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) March 23, 2012

I don’t know why the WH keeps thinking these hashtags are going to work. Every time they try it, it spins out of their controls and mockery boomerangs back at them.

Conservatives hijack #ILikeObamacare hashtag on Twitter

@jimmiebjr: #ILikeObamacare because I trust the same people who wrote the tax code to keep things simple, understandable, and transparent for me.

@anthropocon: #ILikeObamacare because I hate the government listening to my phone calls, but I want them to decide if I get a pacemaker.

@iowahawkblog: #IlikeObamacare because the best things in life are free. Give or take $2 trillion.

@voteforcantwell: #ILikeObamacare Because I’m too poor to pay for insurance – Sent from my iPad 3”

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

When a release date gets close.

cozmo on March 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM

LOL!

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:10 AM

MontanaMmmm on March 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM

The guy was my hero. Always liked him as a kid but it wasn’t until the late ninetie teamed with Rick Rubin that I realized how great he was. His rendition of “Hurt” is just superb.

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

iowahawk is the funniest!

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

@DLoesch

#ILikeObamacare because it makes sense to run medical care out of the IRS.

I love that.

The pro tweets are basically a rail gun for “pre-existing condition” echoes.

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I several ‘pre-existing’ conditions…and all of them are covered by my insurance-just as they were pre-zerocare.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 2:13 AM

here’s a collection of NRO writers views on ‘life after o.care’. I’ve long thought that we can’t count on SCOTUS.

If SCOTUS supports it then barry will take many victory laps around the country patting himself on the back and generally how brilliant he is. But the Rs must PLOD on. O.care is designed to fail and fall into single payer. And by that time we’ll have two classes the Rich/Connected/crony and everyone else

r keller on March 24, 2012 at 2:14 AM

“Hurt”

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

It really did become his song. I think we should give it a tumble.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

You gotta laugh. The people that write that stuff give me hope that we aren’t doomed yet. Earlier, one lady said “I like it because everyday is like Christmas—you never know what you’re going to get.”

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

The Rock on March 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yep.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 2:13 AM

They are so coherent and similar, Twerp, I’m tempted to think all those are part of a determined, organized effort of people discussing what the message should be. But it’s probably silly to think the DNC would do something like that.

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

For you Whovians out there.

RickB on March 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

It really did become his song. I think we should give it a tumble.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Too sad. I love it but I remember him young and vibrant. Then you watch that HD clip and it makes you realize life on earth is fleeting.

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:11 AM

He is good. There’s no defense against the quick and deadly weapon of his mockery.

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Did you see cozmos message to rudy on the Palin thread? Its why he’s the Boss.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I agree. You read things like that, and you know there are lots of others who think as you do. Fearless laughter is a good thing.

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Did you see cozmos message to rudy on the Palin thread? Its why he’s the Boss.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

No, I missed it. I’ll go check, and then I have to call it quits.

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

I’m out.
‘Night.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Good night INC, Thanks for the tweeter stuff, great fun! ; )

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Good night alt, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Remind me not to risk his ire!!!

INC on March 24, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Did you see cozmos message to rudy on the Palin thread? Its why he’s the Boss.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

This people is how it’s done:

How’s this for the kind of intelligent conversation you are looking for:

I belch and pass gas simultaneously directly towards you. I’d light them both but I want you to get the full flavor.

cozmo on March 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM

cozmo, I worship you.

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM

It really did become his song. I think we should give it a tumble.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Couldn’t have said it better, Wow I’m verklempt(sic)?
I’ve been struggling with this so much lately with Brietbart,
Davy Jones my first little girl crush and I’m hitting a big birthday number this summer. I think I’ll have a glass of wine and check out the twitter feed.

Check you guys later

MontanaMmmm on March 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Night ALT, I’m hitting it two….
Good night all in hotgas land, pleasant dreams! !!!!!!!!!;-)

angrymike on March 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Check you guys later

MontanaMmmm on March 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Night everyone. Montana, you’ll like the Twitter stuff.

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM

MontanaMmmm on March 24, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Good night enjoy the tweeter. ; )

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:34 AM

angrymike on March 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Night y’all. Same bat time, same bat channel.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I should not still be up.
Damn albuterol.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Try Xopenex. It works well without the wired effect.

JannyMae on March 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM

arnold ziffel on March 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Shouldn’t the phrase be box of chocolates, in homage to Forrest Gump? That would be during the pre-Obama sycophant era of Tom Hanks, whose movies now fall into the Hanoi Jane column.

TxAnn56 on March 24, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Well kids, time for me to crash. Its been fun. Here is a little something to get you through the next 41 minutes, after that its up to you.

Good Night All.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM

To paraphrase Joe Biden, Monday’s Supreme Court oral arguments are a BFD for America and her future…

Gohawgs on March 24, 2012 at 3:11 AM

To paraphrase Aaron Tippin, yep…

Gohawgs on March 24, 2012 at 3:17 AM

It is not yet accepted that Congress has unlimited power under the Commerce Clause to dictate that you buy a product you don’t want or need.

However, it is accepted that the Supreme Court has unlimited power to decide that the Constitution means whatever they think it means, dammit, whether it actually says that anywhere or not.

Which pretty much ensures that Congress has unlimited power under the Commerce Clause to dictate that you buy a product you don’t want or need.

I didn’t say I like it. But if SCOTUS says it’s ok, then everyone will agree that the Constitution says exactly that.

Just like the right to privacy, and all the emanations of penumbras, and all that. If SCOTUS sees it, then its nonexistence in the Constitution is completely irrelevant.

Or so it seems.

If we don’t at some point amend the Constitution to limit the power of SCOTUS to rewrite the Constitution at will, then the unlimited power of judges will, at some point, destroy us.

Maybe this case will be the beginning of the end.

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 24, 2012 at 3:27 AM

If Congress thinks it’s for your own good, they can force you to buy or do anything?

That might be a slight, unconstitutional over-reach, no?

profitsbeard on March 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM

It’s a pretty good one-sentence summary of progressivism, don’t you think?

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 24, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Geez Louise – there’s nothing like having the face of evil glaring at you from above the fold first thing in the morning to set the tone for my entire day.

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Mornin’.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Wow. Your husband needs to go!

Ba da bing. :)

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Thanks! O’s face is so evil it gives me the creeps. Oh, actually, he is a creep!!

chai on March 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I do not see how a product with unique state requirements like health insurance which cannot be sold across state lines is interstate commerce in the first place. I would strike it down on that alone without ever getting to the issue of whether it deprives individuals of protected liberty.

KW64 on March 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM

In my opinion the difference between the concepts of social security/medicare taxes and the Obamacare mandate is that Obamacare is not a tax. To the best of my understanding no Court has upheld the concept of Obamacare as a tax.

If the mandate is upheld then really there will be no limits on what Congress can mandate.

In someways I was pleased that the Obama administration has pushed the birth control-funding of abortions concept prior to the arguments on Obamacare. This gave the members of the Court a chance to see just how Obama and his minions feel that Obamacare and the government whims trump the freedoms the people guaranteed themselves in approving the US Constitution, including the Amendments.

DVPTexFla on March 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Flora Duh, you were missed by many here.
————–
Meet your new socialist, who believes that economics is a zero sum game, and that the rest of the world is poor because America is rich, being in charge of the World Bank.

Schadenfreude on March 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Because the other two are paid with taxes and Obamacare isn’t or do you guys wish to argue that Blue Cross is part of the government and my payment of premiums to it is a form of taxation?

If Democrats had gone for single-payer, then they would not have this problem. I would be equally opposed, but from a legal standpoint, they would be on much more solid footing.

Resist We Much on March 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Government doesn’t bestow rights.

Resist We Much on March 24, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Those two programs, SS & MC, are not revered. We saved while working and didn’t think we would have a payout from SS. We had insurance that we paid for until 65 and had to sign up for MC. That is manipulating markets and people’s lives by a govt. We don’t like it and want this tyranny overturned or repealed. Actually, it’s too late to repeal the whole thing but it could be done incrementally, if the repubs could take over the senate and WH.

Kissmygrits on March 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Resist We Much on March 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM

They want to do that now, at state level. How they imagine the mechanics is hard to rationalize, but they’ll find a sozi-commie way.

Schadenfreude on March 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Read this, a very well sourced compendium of lies on ‘Social Security’, by our very own and great Resist We Much.

Schadenfreude on March 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Sorry I didn’t respond to the morning greetings guys and gals. My husband and I have been doing a little wistful reminiscing by listening to this, this and this.

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” – Ronald Reagan

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I’m glad you’re back! I missed you! Did you see the twitter feed on 0care?

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

OT:

Just got a buy.com newsletter (sales flyer) and here’s the memo line:

Etch-A-Sketch Products starting @ $11.99

… lol. I will only repeat my now-too-familiar slow head-shake at the world’s craziness and leave my comment at that.

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Axe on March 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Of course you know, you were the first person I thought of, when the whole Etch-A-Sketch gaff came up. LOL!

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I’m glad you’re back! I missed you! Did you see the twitter feed on 0care?

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Thank you. Yes I saw it. I contributed a couple of tweets to it before the spam started.

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Wow.

We’ve gone from recognizing that Our Creator endows us with rights, to an assertion that some Aff*rmative Act*on, race-baiting, Marxist dope from the fetid swamp of the corrupt Chicago machine does.

Pathetic.

AZCoyote on March 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

My coffee cup and I say good morning. Nice to hear from ya again!

predator on March 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Schadenfreude on March 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM

And its easy to read in bright sunlight. ; )

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Yes I saw it.

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

It was funny! Will you be sticking around for a while?

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My coffee cup and I say good morning. Nice to hear from ya again!

predator on March 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Thank you. Good morning to you too.

Will you be sticking around for a while?

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Yes, as long as the threads don’t morph into some of the swamps they were a few weeks ago.

Probably not as much as I used to be though. I’ve been doing some website editing and social media management for my daughter’s business lately, which got me to thinking I might start up my business again.

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Flora Duh on March 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Business as in blog site? If so sign me up.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Does an unemployed housewife have to pay into Social Security?

Not sure the answer to this, just asking.

ardenenoch on March 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM

ardenenoch on March 24, 2012 at 11:01 AM

No, but it does directly affect how much will be available to you/them at age. Of course, I have paided about $14,000.00 a year into it for almost 30 years, and still won’t get squat. So there is an upside for you/them. ; )

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Actually they are all infringements on liberty and none of these programs are part of the enumerated powers of the Constitution. They are allowed to exist because the courts refuse to throw them out and people refuse to challenge them. The systems have become so intertwined in our society that getting rid of them would be nearly impossible.

Medicare and Social Security share the same attributed as Obamacare does. They are all forced transfers of wealth from one group to another. Sure, people “paid” into the Social Security system but it isn’t like that money was invested and resulted in a larger sum. The larger payments are subsidized by tax payers, not by government.

These systems are not “protections” against low retirement funds or getting sick when you’re older. They are programs designed to take the place of retirement and health insurance. Replacements are far from the notion of protection.

I’ve spoken to a few individuals who tell stories of family members being saved due to coverage of their pre-existing conditions by insurance. What is misunderstood is these wonderful conditions will not last. Right now, people can decide how important their health is because if the insurance company does not do their job they can be fired. Once the payer is the federal government, doctors will have no choice but to cater to them.

I believe this Supreme Court decision will shape this country in a major way for at least the next generation. One way or another…things are going to get interesting.

Flashwing on March 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

” … the mandate would also permit Congress to compel the purchase of broccoli or any other vegetable. ‘Force you to pay for something? I don’t see why not.” – Harvard law professor Charles Fried, who believes the mandate is constitutional

Ummmmmmmmmm …
What’s wrong with this picture, I mean besides the fact that this spewed forth from a Hahvahd “law” Phufessor? When did we return to dictatorial colonial England?
I seem to recall a rather nasty backlash then too.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

So then it doesn’t apply to everyone, only people who pay income tax.

ardenenoch on March 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Would Social Security have been instituted without The Depression?

Cindy Munford on March 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

In order to collect Social Security don’t you have to “contributed” for ten quarters? A homemaker who never worked would only be eligible for a portion of her husband’s account, right?

Cindy Munford on March 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM

ardenenoch on March 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Se Cindys comment. I believe she is correct. It isn’t my area of expertise. I just know being self employed, I get the shaft on pretty much all of it.

Cindy Munford on March 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I believe you are correct. My reading of how it was instituted historically is briefly as folllows, FDR extended the depression by bad policy in order to move the progressive agenda forward. Similar to 0′s attempt we are witnessing. FDR also threated the Supreme Court with replacing many of the justices with folks more to his liking. I’m taking a break from tractor work, but have to get back at it.; )
We are fortunate to have many commenters here at HA who understand all this better then I. If you see Karl Magnus, AZfederalist, or ted c, they would be good ones to ask.

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I just know being self employed, I get the shaft on pretty much all of it. Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Twice the pain, little joy.

Cindy Munford on March 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Hey my wink got split. As Dire would say, fixed.
; )

Bmore on March 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Obamacare to me is the kiss of death to compassion in this country.. The debates that Congress tried to kill, but the information kept coimng out. The end of life mandatory counsiling, Obama’s comments about just taking a pill, and skipping the life extending surgery..

I’m holding on to a normal life with both hands, and I can feel the scrap as my nails drag on the board.. I use modern medicine to get past high pain levels, and even was holding out hope that I might work again someday. But who hires a 52 year old cripple? and worse for me, is the idea floated by Obamacares defenders, that some of us aren’t worth the effort of repair…….

Who made them God, and gave them the right?

Who?..