Controversial new Santorum ad: “Welcome to Obamaville”

posted at 8:37 pm on March 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Watch the spot first and try to guess which part has been flagged as controversial before you click here to check your answer. I knew he’d get rapped for it the moment I saw the ad this morning, and if a dummy like me saw it coming, it’s hard to see how his ad team didn’t. Or maybe, having consumed online political media voraciously for the past six years (burp), my sense of what gets them to perk up is simply better honed than Team Sweater Vest’s? Either way, here’s the campaign’s adamant denial that they were equating anyone with anyone else. No worries, guys: Our bipartisan debt bomb will get us before the Iranian bomb does.

Dave Weigel calls this “Umbrage Bait” designed to offend Team O and get them talking about the (implied) charge. Maybe, but I’m not sure how that moves Santorum one inch closer to the goal line of beating Romney.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gotta be the exorcism at the White House. Pelosi’s spinning head was a nice touch. /

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

well, people have been complaining that the candidates spend too much time attacking each other and not enough attacking obama so here santorum is attacking obama like he’s supposed to.

Sachiko on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Sigh. This might play with the Glenn Beck disciples, but I think, (IMHO) that most of us are looking for a candidate that is going to work for a positive future- yeah, things are grim, but lets turn them around, get rid of Barry, get the economy on track, etc. etc.

This was another example of Santorum’s slip into instability. He’s not fit to lead a nation. No one wants to be dragged down into the gutter with him.

BettyRuth on March 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Says the Romney person. Why don’t you grab some integrity and look at it with what it’s supposed to be – an attack on Obama and his failings.

Isn’t that what people have been clamoring for – the candidates to attack Obama? So one does it and a dishonest Romney person calls it a “slip into instability”.

kim roy on March 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

*whew* I am so glad someone else saw that.

Tim_CA on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

and i thought it was the crows

ignatzk on March 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM

BettyRuth on March 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Lol. You are oozing false sincerity. I think the ad is rather cool, and it attacks Obama. Don’t pretend you are even related to objectivity.

Romney 2012: You could do worse.

Lightswitch on March 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Great ad. Too bad Romney won’t have the guts to run something like this.

wildcat72 on March 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Great ad!……Time for the DAISY ad to come.
You just can’t be too negative about the left.

lilium479 on March 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Great ad!……Time for the DAISY ad to come.
You just can’t be too negative about the left.

lilium479 on March 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’d morph Obama into a mosque playing his “my muslim roots” gaffe while showing shots of the iranians with nukes chanting their derka derka mohammed jihads.

wildcat72 on March 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

This is the “RATS” ad of 2012. I bet the NY Times wishes that rabid gerbil Richard Berke was still around to cover this one too.

rivlax on March 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Great ad. Too bad Romney won’t have the guts to run something like this.

wildcat72 on March 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

He’s too busy being as bland as possible.

Lightswitch on March 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

This seems as stupid a reason to feign outrage as the time a GOP ad had Democrats scroll across the screen in such a way that there was a fraction of a second where “rats” was visible in a subliminal way or something.

Happy Nomad on March 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Which is why I still call them ‘Rats. Just an easy way to get under their skin.

Steve Eggleston on March 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Romney praises Obama. Santy attacks Obama. But Romney is the guy who will undo O-care and cut spending and Santy is the crazy one for pointing out what the bots say Romney must be elected to stop.

Mittbots are funny.

angryed on March 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

BTW, off topic: I see that Netflix (streaming) now has “Atlas Shrugged: Part 1“.

E-R

electric-rascal on March 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM

LOL, that was sooooooo over the top.

If Santorum (who I really like, and I sent him $, full disclosure) had any hint of humor to him, it might work. But, he doesn’t and it doesn’t. Sorry!

It mostly reminds me of the TV show American Horror Story, which actually deserves some kind of award from all us anti-Obama people because in the very first episode the haunted-house owning family is told by their real estate agent that they have no hope of unloading the house until “that failure in the WH” (or somesuch) is voted out in November. (AND they showed abortion as a bad thing….what’s not to love?)

But, this ad is silly. We are not going to return to the 1920s of AHS or the 1930s of the Dust Bowl if (heaven forfend!) Obama is re-elected. It’ll be worse than that, far worse.

Jocon307 on March 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

So when Santorum attacks Romney, he needs to shut up and leave him alone. And when Santorum attacks Obama, he needs to shut up because he’s not attacking Romney.

Love the logic.

Stoic Patriot on March 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Right on +10

PuritanD71 on March 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Excellent ad.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

LOL, that was sooooooo over the top.

yea let’s call sandra fluke and ax her about contraception?

newrouter on March 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Wait, they’re actually denying that they’ve got a couple of frames of Obama interleaved with I’maDinnerJacket?

Seriously?

Wow. I really must be one dumb son-of-a-b*tch, given their obviously extremely low opinion of me.

nukemhill on March 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM

so what debbie wasserman schultz?

newrouter on March 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM

wonderful. Although Rick’s advisers seem to be awol, someone hit a homerun here. I plan on sharing this video. DD

Darvin Dowdy on March 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM

What does Rick Santorum have to lose at this point? He’s not winning the primary by campaigning against Mitt Romney. Perhaps he can win the primary by campaigning against Barack Obama. Crazier things have happened.

jms on March 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

BettyRuth on March 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Yes, by all means lets maintain the “high road” as exemplified by B. Obama and the equally gracious M. Romney. Let’s not let the mere looming demise of our nation cause us to stray from the paths of total civility.

Perhaps you will join me for a bit of tea and pleasant lexical discourse when we chance to meet in the bread lines in a few years hence? Amid the misery and ruin we’ll jointly find solace in the fond memories of how the loser Mitt never once resorted to “gutter politics” – well, at least not with Obama.

/sarc

E-R

electric-rascal on March 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I don’t know about that ad. I was a bit too cheerful for my tastes.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM

If Ricky is trying to make up with me for the dopey Etch-a-Sketch Romney shtick… he’s off to a good start.

RalphyBoy on March 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Whenever I hear about layoffs or people losing their homes, etc. I sing quietly to myself, “Just another day in Obamaville” to Margaritaville.

jeffn21 on March 24, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I dunno … if the morph fits–Ahmadinewackjob has to be envious of Obungler who’s getting to live out his fantasy and wreck America before Iran’s nuke is ready.

stukinIL4now on March 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Love this comment, Red, but I must disagree with you. Even a possessed Pelosi could not perform the much touted head spin, the face and neck skin just pulled too darn tight. Upon the first spin, it would helicopter off into space. Then perhaps Obama could send a drone after it?

BabysCatz on March 24, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Pink slime and Russian roulette with gas pump?

Surely no one disputes the the fact that pelosi is lucifer, do they?

Sherman1864 on March 24, 2012 at 6:10 AM

what is so controversial about the morph of obama to akmed? if the shoe fits, wear it.

fwm299 on March 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

fantastic ad

losarkos on March 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Frankly, I think this is a great commercial — isn’t the purpose of a political commercial to make folks think? Aren’t we thinking?

I’d like to see a similar one with the POTUS morphing into Laurence Harvey, just as George Soros, Bill Ayres and the FLOTUS flash a Queen of Diamonds playing card in front of his eyes. {camera fade}

(No apologies to you youngsters too young to remember the original Manchurian Candidate flick with Harvey, Sinatra and Landsbury, your problem)

Pecozbill on March 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM

A good ad as it is aimed to flyover country, not the coastal elite enclaves or big cities.

By looking at the slope of ‘hope and change’ over the last 3 years, showing how it would go out to 2016 should get some attention to show ‘this is the fundamental transformation’ you voted for. Sometimes it isn’t soft words or sweet demeanor that is necessary, but a bit of cold water on the face to wake people up.

ajacksonian on March 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

E-R

electric-rascal on March 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yes, I watched it last night. It was very interesting and disturbing. Does anybody know if there is a green light for part 2?

Regarding the video, I watched it and can the same thing about it, very interesting and disturbing.

America, wake up.

jazzuscounty on March 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I watched it twice trying to guess what the controversy was so I hit the clue link. Then watched it again and still missed it. So I did a frame by frame scan and finally found it.

I think its fair to say subliminal advertising doesn’t work on me.

Yeah Allah, you may to get out more.

DanMan on March 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Oh come on. Tell me of one voter that just changed their vote based on that. Was it Biden?

sdbatboy on March 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Perfect ad. Would that all candidates had been riffing on Obamaville. Dueling O-viles ads to put the beatdown on teh Zero. Oh well, opportunities lost.

Sarah 2012 because she’s been describing O-ville ever since she hit the national stage.

AH_C on March 24, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Surprisingly well-produced. Technically, it wasn’t a morph. It was subliminal.

This is how the campaign against Dear Leader needs to be run.

Krumhorn on March 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM

E-R

electric-rascal on March 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM

jazzuscounty on March 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

According to info at IMDB.com and WikiPedia, “Part 2″ is indeed going to happen.

I too watched “Part 1″ last night – very thought provoking. Now I’ll probably be getting a copy of book (~1100 pages!) to read.

It is my understanding that to make the film, much from the book had to go unused (mostly detailed background/story on the non-main characters we see in the film), but the core themes of Atlas Shrugged remain intact in the film.

E-R

electric-rascal on March 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM

“Atlas Shrugged: Part 2″ is due out in the fall of 2012, before the US presidential election.

E-R

electric-rascal on March 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Love the ad–but must admit I thought it was “the crows”

cpasherry on March 24, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Well made ad. If only Santorum hadn’t wandered off the path to Presidency.

I’d also bet Santorum’s supporters are far more diverse than this ad would suggest… and acknowledging the demographics aren’t just simple white folks in rural small towns wouldn’t be a bad idea.

We need someone who will chip at Obama’s supposed base, not play into the dividing stereotypes laid out by the media.

contrarytopopularbelief on March 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM

My reaction was “stupid.” It seems to imply that we’ll be in a depression, which I doubt, plus it’s all fear-based: Elect Santorum or America will die. It gives no argument or evidence that Santorum can turn the economy around or how he would do it. It’s just silly.

Furthermore, it implies that only Santorum can prevent this dire consequence. Of course, there are other ways we can avoid re-electing Obama.

It’s too bad, because this ad actually would make it more likely that Obama could re re-elected if Santorum is our nominee.

flataffect on March 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I missed it the first time through. I just find it funny, seems like subliminal messaging or something.

netster007x on March 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Romney’s ads are MUCH, MUCH better. They seem more based in reality.

This Santorum ad seems like a parody from SNL. It’s like a liberal’s version of what a hyperbolic, overly dramatic Republican scare ad would look like.

Santorum gets a big THUMBS DOWN from me.

bluegill on March 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM