Angry Santorum: I never said I’d vote for Obama over Romney!

posted at 6:00 pm on March 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Twelve minutes from today’s Cavuto. I agree, he never said he’d vote for Obama over Romney. What he said was that “we” the electorate might collectively conclude that there’s not enough difference between them to justify replacing the incumbent, the implication being that that would be a perfectly reasonable conclusion. Right? Read his comments from yesterday again or watch the video; the clear impression I got was “I wouldn’t blame anyone who thought that way,” an impression apparently shared by Santorum supporter Ed Morrissey. There are a lot of ways to hit Mitt for being a squish, first and foremost that America can’t afford one when bold action on entitlements is desperately needed, but anything that legitimizes the idea that the differences between Romney and The One are too “little” to justify a strong preference for one or the other is poisonous to the larger Republican effort. What he said yesterday did that, and his spokesman doubled down on it this morning by calling Romney a “mirror image” of O before adding the perfunctory bit about supporting the nominee. They’re not mirror images; there are hugely compelling reasons to strongly prefer one to the other, as I’d expect any committed pro-lifer who pays attention to Supreme Court vacancies to understand. I don’t mean to begrudge a guy a line of attack when he’s desperate to get traction somehow, but the attack on Romney from the right should never go beyond arguing that America needs a strong conservative to achieve meaningful improvements in policy. If you’re a prominent Republican with a big soapbox and you’re comparing Romney to Obama generally — even in the context of how “we,” not you, might feel — you’re playing with matches. (The only exception I can think of is on the specific issue of “ObamneyCare” because it’s hugely relevant to the primary and, let’s face it, there’s really no way around the mirror-image conclusion. But even in that case, the more likely it is that Romney will be the nominee, the more counterproductive that argument is.)

Interestingly, it’s Gingrich who’s made a bigger deal about this today than Romney. Statement one from Team Newt:

Newt 2012 Campaign Chairman Rep. Bob Walker released the following statement today criticizing Sen. Santorum’s comments about the possibility of an Obama reelection:

“As a former Pennsylvania colleague of Rick Santorum in the Congress, I am stunned by his statement that if he is not the Republican nominee, we might be better off with the reelection of President Obama. An Obama reelection would assure full implementation of Obamacare, a continuation of the assault on American energy production, more economic policies that destroy American jobs and the appointment of more radically leftist judges including perhaps to the Supreme Court. Whatever our differences inside the Republican primaries, no candidate should be suggesting that Barack Obama is a reasonable alternative.”

And statement two, a letter to RNC chief Reince Priebus (slightly edited):

Republicans must not lose sight of our ultimate goal in 2012: defeating President Obama in November. While we may disagree on which candidate will be the strongest opponent to the President in the general election, we can agree that any of the current Republican candidates would be a better president than Barack Obama.

As chairman of the Republican National Committee, you are in a position to focus our candidates on this goal. I request that you issue a pledge asking all the Republican presidential candidates to support our eventual nominee. It is imperative that Republicans unite once the nomination process is complete in order to defeat President Obama. We cannot afford four more years of his leadership.

Newt’s angle here, I assume, is to paint Santorum as a traitor to the cause so that voters will turn away from Team Sweater Vest in disgust and back to Newt as the designated Not Romney for the eleventh or twelfth time in the race. (I’ve lost count.) Mitt’s angle is not to mention what Santorum said anymore lest he end up repeating the “Romney = Obama” message inadvertently.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8 10

WolvenOne on March 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Don’t worry, I’m going to vote for Romney in the primaries. Of course it’ll be as a write-in on a Democrat ballot. Seeing as how that’s where he belongs anyway.

As for the general, if Romney is the nominee, I’ll be voting for his VP pick, be it Jindal or Rubio or West.

Re-create 2008!

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I think Romney is exactly the one to get rid of 0b0z0care because he knows what the dems did to it. He says he will give waiverS to all 50 (NOT 57) states, and let THEM WORK ON THEIR OWN IN 50 DIFFERENT LABORATORIES!
And yes, there is time but not much left!

Bambi on March 23, 2012 at 9:45 PM

So you trust what Romney says. Really? That’s it. He says he’s going to do it, so you know in your heart of hearts that he will?

/facepalm

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM

He really honestly believes that conservatives will turn out in droves for him during the general election because conventional wisdom says that they will. The problem with conventional wisdom is that it ends up being wrong so often.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Yup. Romney will do even worse than McCain did in 2008.

A lot of us said “never again” back then (in regard to voting for the lesser of two evils). Unfortunately for Romney, some of us actually meant it.

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Wow Newt making some sense. Lets the concern trolls know that it will be their fault Obamacare is a new entitlement.

Romney promises to give waivers to everystate and dismantle the law. Concern trolls want to run a 2016 campaign to take away coverage from poor workers.

Mormontheman on March 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Well we may have already gone over the cliff but I’m still going to flap my arms and try to do something about it.

Maybe older Americans are willing to gambl that they can keep the status quo going until they are gone but as one of the younger people who will be buried under all of that debt, excuse me for trying to persuade people to do the moral thing and vote for somebody more like Ron Paul than Bush, rather than somebody more like Obama than Bush, like Romney.

If people don’t like Ron Paul, fine, but responsible citizens that put their country above their party still need to find somebody more like than the other candidates in the race.

And if it’s too late to save the economy, then let’s get the crash over with. I want to have children. I don’t want to have a generational great-depression that will last all through my child-rearing years. I would rather get the crash over and done with (down with big-gov we can’t afford), so that I can look forward to prosperity again so I can start a family.

Not all of us are at the end of our lives, ready to turn out the lights. Many of us want to have something to look forward too besides debt-slavery.

FloatingRock on March 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I really wish I could tell you something, anything else besides debt slavery and severe austerity awaited you at the end of the tunnel, but I would be lying to you if I did.

My generation screwed the gen x’ers and really screwed the millennials. You will be either forced at gun point to attempt to service the unmanageable and impossible social contracts that were created by the Great Society idiots that proceeded my generation, or you will violently rise up and overthrow the entire corrupt system. Even that is unlikely to result in anything approaching a happy ending, as the results of such actions, historically speaking, is going to be something even worse than the unberable slavery your tore apart.

I am truly sorry for what my generation has done to yours, and I don’t hold any feelings of rage or resentment against you – us boomers absolutely deserve to be hated. As a whole, We ate our own nest eggs, and now are hell bent on eating those of our children and then moving on to those grand children.

All of the social contracts that exist, from medicare to social security are nothing more than us stealing the life of our descendants. Literally. It is us stealing their existence to make ours more comfortable. It is disgusting and deplorable, and I wish I could help more than my own children and grand children with what is coming.

I am sorry.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I knew better than to say “never again.” I had a feeling that we’d end up in exactly the same kind of predicament with even higher stakes, Obama being in office and all. The GOP didn’t disappoint.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I think Santorum is cracking under the pressure..and it seems as if he thinks this is all about him..he is taking it real personal.

Terrye on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Then we can never be united like we need to be in order to beat Obama. So our country, truly is lost.

Obama has won.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Where did you get that from my comment?

If Mitt Romney doesn’t beat Obama, it will be Mitt Romney’s fault.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Get over it.

BettyRuth on March 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I’m on your side, Betty. Did I say something that indicated otherwise?

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Terrye on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

REAL personal.

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM

This makes me sick, if Santorum was going to be the nominee, you’d be expecting us to rally together behind him to go after Obama.

but no, it’s Romney. Screw it let’s all quit. We might as well vote for Obama, they’re one in the same.”

Then you have the audacity to complain about losing your country. Of course, that’s happening. Because we cannot get together to unite against the one common threat we all have, Obama. We would rather nitpick each other, dwell in “what if’s” as if they are Biblical fact and fight each other. If we could focus as much energy towards Obama as we have been towards each other, regardless who the nominee is, Obama would be trembling in fear.

So many forget that the president is not the fix it solution. So what if you vote for Romney for president? Vote for the conservative running for your local offices too. if you get enough conservatives in the house and senate and local offices, they can neutralize any liberal tendencies Romney might drift towards. Or are all of you too f***in’ stupid and pig-headed to see it?

Obama needs to go, if we can’t all agree with that, what chance do we have? And if you’re not going to be a part of the solution, then get the f*** out of the way cuz you’re part of the problem!

That’s what you’d be saying to us “mittbots” if the tables were turned.

People need to grow up!

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

none of these commenters are sly enough to be a moby, unless we’re defining moby activism down.
Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 9:15 PM

That’s the idea, the whole thing is to portray a “conservative” as the Moby/left views conservatives; that is – unintelligent, illogical and illiterate. It is designed to be “dumbed down”.
It’s quite the popular hobby among leftists online – they are more aware, and make great use of, of such things as “Google-bombing”. This is why it’s not safe-surfing to even just google Santorum’s name.

It’s a sad fact, noted even among conservatives, that most conservatives online are sorely behind in unaware of the internet’s potential. I can tell you, as someone who’s been in the biz for quite a few years, that conservatives are generally clueless on making “internet impressions”. As I said, sad – but true.

By way of a just a little background on the left & Mobyism:
Who really invented ‘Moby’ trolling?

But to be more exact, most of the new-signup Moby’s here specialize in a form of what’s called “concern trolling“.

And I agree with you that there are a very few who have no political motivation at all, they’re just emotionally disturbed and will vent pretty much anywhere. That’s just the nature of the human condition, i.e. some people are just plain out & out kooks.

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I actually took the time to read the 500+ posts in this thread. This has lead me to several possible conclusions about your posts:

1. You’re too young to remember Ross Perot, given your stance about a 3rd Party.

2. You’re on a mission to dilute the Conservative vote in order to help The Won.

3. You’re a full on Barry Acolyte, terrified that the Class Warrior in Chief will be going down in well deserved flames in November along with his Statist Agenda.

4. You’re one of those Minimum wage paid operatives for the Oblamer campaign that has really not been given good info with which to refute all of the logical posts that have countered your party line posts.

So, lets cut to the chase. Which is it, Sport? Your increasing use of insults to support your points points to #4, but I’d prefer to hear it from you….

ManWithNoParty on March 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Or maybe he’s just a conservative that’s sick of being treated like a battered wife by a party that cares less and less for him every election cycle?

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Mormontheman on March 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Except that with Romney at the helm, we may STILL be running a 2016 campaign to take away coverage from poor workers. Can you imagine what the dems will do with Romney in the Oval office if four years come and go without a full repeal?! There is so much ASSUME in what would happen in a Romney administration that it shames me this is the caliber of intellect we now have in movement conservatism.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Mormontheman on March 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM

You left out how Romney also wants to keep the good parts of Obamacare. What, are you telling me you don’t believe Romney when he says something?!

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

/facepalm

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I trust him as much as anyone else. I do think he has a better chance of getting elected and that means that we have a shot at least..run some loser against Obama and there is no chance of getting those waivers.

I also think that it will take more than the President to completely get rid of Obamacare. It will probably take the Congress as well.

Terrye on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

There is no republican Obama. There is just hyperbole, delusion and a bunch of people so filled with hate for one guy they would rather have their heads up their asses than actually look at everything objectively.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM

And Obama won’t ruin this country with another four years. It’s just fearmongering hyperbole, by delusional people who think the president can do that much damage in four years.

Then you insist that people are motivated by hatred, because they don’t agree with you? See how this works? You want people to look at things objectively, while you’re screaming doom and gloom from the rooftops.

Enough with the drama, please.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

That’s what you’d be saying to us “mittbots” if the tables were turned.

People need to grow up!

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

But the tables aren’t turned. You gotta play with the hand your dealt, as do we bitter ABR’s. I’ve said it numerous times already, and it bears repeating: Mitt will probably secure the nomination, and with it my vote in the general election as the Not-Obama candidate, but he will secure the nomination without my help in any way shape or form before the convention. Period.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

O.M.G. Spare me the victimhood.

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM

You will help perpetuate the cycle so long as you refuse to draw a line in the sand and stand by it.

The last time I voted for the LOTE, we got 4 years of Obama and another RINO for the next nominee. Insanity is doing the same thing while expecting a different result.

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Terrye on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Ohhhh! That makes me feel so much better!/

You rombots are like battered wives. You trust people for what they say after they abandon and abuse you time and time-again. But it’ll be different next time, won’t it? You really believe that those people that have betrayed your trust over and over again mean what they say this time, right? There’s absolutely no selfishness in their desire to sit in the Oval Office, is there?

Wake the **** up, folks! A people that fears their government is tyranny! A government that fears the people is liberty!

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

And Obama won’t ruin this country with another four years.

Enough with the drama, please.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Yeah, you’re right. I’m sorry. We can easily overcome Obamacare and the $16 trillion debt. it’s not the end of the world. It’s really quite trivial when you think about it.

And who needs the Constitution anyway?

Thanks for putting it all in perspective. You’re right, I was a drama queen.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Good post. Here we have a president that should be in the 30s for approval and being propped up by a weakening LSM and this is who they give us? These four led by Romney.

It’s like they’re daring us not to vote for the R. It’s like they’re saying to us “Here’s someone just barely better than Obama, who is going to put a knife into the back of conservatism and keep the status quo, but because Obama is such a disaster you’re going to bend over and take it”.

And yet here it seems we’re going to do just that.

Blah.

kim roy on March 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM

The Republicans always seem hell bent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They have been doing it since the first votes I cast, and it’s only gotten worse since, with the only bright point being Reagan – and the Rockefeller wing had to be battled tooth and nail on that one. In the proceeding decades, they have made damn sure another Reagan could ever put them in that position again it seems.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

O.M.G. Spare me the victimhood.

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Yeah, cause we’re never victims of government malfeasance and misfeasance, are we?

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

And who needs the Constitution anyway?

Thanks for putting it all in perspective. You’re right, I was a drama queen.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Glad to finally hear someone speak up about the importance of following the constitution. But if you think Romney is going to somehow turn out as a defender of all things constitutional, I have some land to sell you…

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Enough with the drama, please.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Obama: We have to pass this bailout/Obamacare NOWRIGHTNOW or we’re doomed!!!1! Doooooomed!

Romney-supporter: We have to elect Romney NOWRIGHTNOW or we’re doomed!!!1! Doooooomed!

Hey, newsflash, when the American public willing was willing to vote in a USofKKKA, G D America candidate, we were already toast. And if that somehow didn’t actually doom us, neither will 4 more years of it.

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Please see my comment regarding Ross Perot and how well that worked out for us (if you’re truly interested in advancing a Conservative agenda). FWIW, I agree with the sentiment. I voted for Bob Barr last cycle because I found McCain to be a joke. I saw then how futile it is to vote for a party like the C in this climate. Fortunately, I live in about the Reddest of States, GA. Should they actually put up a candidate who can be vetted, I’ll reconsider. At this point, the C party’s a joke and will be until they select a “candidate”.

ManWithNoParty on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

My line in the sand is that I will not aid Mitt Romney in securing the presidential nomination. Period. No money. No primary vote. Not so much as a vocal expression of support on any blog I post on. I find the guy repellent and I don’t think he deserves the nomination. I think he deserves to lose it in the most nailbitingly stressful way possible. I’m hanging fire on the ABO outrage until after the convention is done and the nomination is settled.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

While I would agree that some Romney supporters have been too quick to play the bigot card, to be fair, I have seen bigoted statements towards Mr Romneys religion during this campaign.

Even here on Hotair, I have seen a couple dozen scattered comments aimed at Mormons rather than at Mr. Romney himself. Lets also be honest and admit that there are probably more people motivated by such bigotry then there are people willing to admit to it.

Now, again, many Romney supporters are too quick to attribute all sentiment against Romney towards bigotry. There is obviously more than a single factor at work here, and to attribute everything to the single most ugly factor is, unfair.

At the same time, we need to keep in mind that its easy for people to attribute like behavior to previously observed like behavior. If somebody sees something that appears like anti-mormon bias a few times previously in the past, it becomes very easy to attribute anything that shares superficial resemblance to more anti-mormon bias. That doesn’t make it right, but it does make it a fairly understandable human reaction.

WolvenOne on March 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

2012 is a referendum on whether there’s anything left of the founders’ idea of “America” worth saving.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

And we have a chance to make the government fear us and you’re willing to throw it all away if Romney’s the nominee.

How about this, Vote for Romney so we don’t get Obama again, and also vote for conservatives in the other races.

If you’re not crazy about Romney because of the percieved threat, then neutralize the threat with preventative measures. Put safeguards in place if it’ll make it easier on you. Meanwhile get rid of Obama. duh!

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

And Obamacare won’t ruin this country with another four years to fully implement it.
JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Are you sticking to that troll?

Mormontheman on March 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Your allegation that Me and ROMNEY have “no place” for you is absurd, and do keep in mind it’s a two way street. If I “missed your point”, I did get the bit about being “crapped on”, to which I say: Boo Hoo. I’m sure you learned the maxim, “life is not fair”. When it comes to elections, you get to advocate for your candidate but if they fail to gain enough traction to win, you’re stuck with whoever is left. There’s no “right” to throw a tantrum and demand your guy/gal gets the nod. You don’t get to say you’ll pick up your ball and stay home because you’re tired of “settling for crappy candidates”. To be more precise, you don’t get to do that and still claim your goal is to defeat Obama (or whoever the incumbent is).

If you really, really don’t like the candidates you’re getting then you need to organize and work years in advance to find candidates who will meet your particular requirements. Just be sure they’re well vetted and know how to get on ballots and raise money and stuff or you’ll be in for more disappointment. Of course you may still be disappointed in the end, but at least you won’t have to complain about being a victim whose been “crapped on”.

BTW, I betcha you’re young enough you haven’t had to do all that much settling. I’m guessing you’ve voted in 2 presidential elections, max. Obviously I don’t know this for certain – it’s just an intuition thing.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Wow, more totally unfounded assumptions about me.

I will vote for Romney, but I don’t have to be HAPPY ABOUT IT. Your characterization of me throwing and tantrum and threatening to stay home is complete, utter hyperbolic BS. I had no guy in this race.

I voted for Reagan in 1980, and I’ve voted in every presidential election since, not that it’s any of your nosey-assed business. Settle this, sweetheart.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Uh no. I never said that. Have you been paying attention? I said I’m not helping Mitt secure the nomination. He doesn’t get my support in any way shape or form BEFORE THE CONVENTION.

When the general rolls around, Not-Obama gets my vote whoever that is. To put it another way, I’m voting against Obama. Is that clear enough for you? I’m hanging fire on the ABO outrage until after the convention.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You willing to stake your children’s and everyone else’s kids’ futures on that?

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The Republican Party is in a death spiral. First they had Bush, who for good reason was very unpopular by the end, followed by McCain who was even worse in many ways, and now the guy that lost to McCain in ’08 and has been a laughingstock the past four years, is the likely R nominee. The Republican Party is swirling the drain, it’s obviously time for something new. The tea party can’t just stick it’s head back in the ground as they appear to have done. The American people cannot afford to just sit on the sidelines because the establishment money that brought us Obama in ’08 is bringing us Romney in ’12, leaving the little people with no real choice. Obamcare/Romneycare; Romneycare/Obamacare, six of one; a half dozen of the other.

Let the big money buy their candidates if they want and let the MSM spend all their time talking about them if they wish, but the rest of the country needs a champion to put a leash on corruption in Washington and Wall Street.

FloatingRock on March 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM

It’s not the Republican Party that’s the problem. It’s the evangelical-social-issues-first crowd. McCain was their doing–and so was Bush in 2000–much as they may now claim otherwise and try to distance themselves from both men. McCain was anointed by Dr. Dobson and all his followers dutifully fell in line. They weren’t ready for a pro-choicer–but strict constructionist–like Rudy or a Mormon like Romney, both from the NE, both with strong credentials and good fiscal records, but neither from red state country. These same so-called “conservatives” (actually populists with strong social conservative leanings). Their opinions dominated the conservative blogs back then as they do now. They settled for McCain instead of Rudy just as they’re now settling for Santorum instead of Romney. Their priority is not fiscal conservatism and never has been. It’s above all else social conservatism–which is why they keep backing fiscal moderates who spend big and bloat government–both Bushes, Dole, McCain–and now Santorum.

writeblock on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

And Obama won’t ruin this country with another four years.
JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

You may not be a Moby – but, JannyMae, if you’re okay with Obama (esp. for four more years) then you just aren’t a conservative in any way, shape or form, no matter how much you may protest.

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thanks for proving my point again.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

O.M.G. Spare me the victimhood.

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Don’t like my stuff, then don’t read. I don’t plan on shutting up any time soon. And remember: I am part of a group that is nothing more than an irrelevant outlier… You don’t want/need conservatives to vote or give money. We are irrelevant relics and faddy-duddies in a progressive era that no longer wants us around.

So don’t get all bent out of shape, just pass on by, and shake your heads at the unnecessary fools.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

You willing to stake your children’s and everyone else’s kids’ futures on that?

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

For what it’s worth, I’m not. Rombots had better hope and pray enough Republican voters feel the same way I do.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

We are told to go along with Romney, and it will be better in 2016. It’s not going to happen. My first vote was for Goldwater, and I’ve never missed an election. With the exception of Reagan and the addition of Palin, it’s been the lesser of two evils every time. I’ve been stuck with the bilge that the GOP has foisted on us because they are in it only for the power and the deals. Two years ago, they said they understood and had finally seen the light. But what do we have now? DDSS.

FirelandsO3 on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for proving my point again.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

just using absurdity to point out absurdity.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Um. No. Gryphon said he’ll vote for Romney if he’s the nominee.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

if we did, Obama will win.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I just threw up.

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Um. No. Gryphon said he’ll vote for Romney if he’s the nominee.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I didn’t say that, either. I said I’m voting AGAINST Obama. I have to be able to live with myself, Janny.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Are you sticking to that troll?

Mormontheman on March 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Are you calling me a troll because I disagree with you?

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I can’t tell who said what anymore when we’re all bitching at each other like spoiled school children.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Santorum:

Open mouth ; insert foot. Repeat.

ProfShadow on March 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Romney is simply acknowledging that there are well known issues with healthcare. That we need to find a way to address them.

Have you ever watched a whole speech by Romney where he goes in depth into the issues, not telling people what to do, but asking them and giving his suggestions?

Look, this country already has free healthcare for a lot of individuals of this country, and even illegals, when they show up at the hospital with nothing to pay with. Virtually nobody is turned away…

Romney’s Stance on Healthcare – short version

Romney’s Stance on Healthcare – long version

You should watch the long version sometime, 6:48 into it you finally get to his long talk in regards to healthcare. You really should listen and try to understand instead of erecting strawmen and then burning them down.

Healthcare is a real issue that needs to be addressed… Should the Federal government be involved in it? I say no, and so does/has Romney.

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

if we did, Obama will win.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

And if he does, I won’t shed a single tear.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Will do.

Priscilla on March 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Stoic Patriot on March 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM

He’s not “the” candidate. He’s “a” candidate. There’s a difference.

He, whomever he is, doesn’t stand a chance in hell of getting elected. That is the beginning, middle and end of it. Unless about 10,000 people are killed off in a matter of weeks, he stands no chance.

Funny. I’ve seen a lot of people here hoping for a brokered GOP convention. Hmmmmm….

That isn’t going to happen and we still had primaries.

Again, after having his every failing excused and defended as him being quoted as taken out of context, or being “divisive” or hurting the party, etc etc.

Bull.

When you’re voting for a guy that puts John Kerry to shame on flip-flopping, then yes, you’re an idiot.

Gee, Virgil Goode ever flipp flopped on anything? Guess we will never know.

V7_Sport on March 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

The way to reverse decline is to slam head first against it.

Stoic Patriot on March 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I think you should lay off the head slamming for a little while, Sport. Just til the swelling goes down.

Jaibones on March 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Oh, come on. Gimme a freakin’ break. I was making a point.

I said I will vote for Romney, because I am NOT okay with four more years of Obama. I just object to this doom and gloom BS that people are piling on to try to convince doubters that Romney is going to be this giant savior of our country.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Not sure how voting the “because it’s his turn” candidate into the White House is going to make government fear us. It’s kinda like throwing Brer Rabbit into the briar patch.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I just threw up.

redridinghood on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well, don’t throw up on me, because I didn’t make that comment.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

FirelandsO3 on March 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

With that “bilge” you had to put up with, has life with that ever been as bad as it’s been under Obama?

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

That’s all the farther I needed to read. Romney addressed the problems with health care in Mass-uh-chew-sits by intervening in his capacity as the state’s chief executive. To put it more succinctly, he used government intervention. When government intervention is the problem, as I believe it is with health care problems, you don’t solve your problems with more of the same institutions that effed up in the first place. To address the problem, and most of the problems that plague us, you need to weaken government, not make new laws. Unfortunately, no politician today is going to get elected on a platform of doing less. They always have to be doing something. And as Willard Milton Romney has so ably illustrated in the last five years, results don’t matter. Intentions and good-sounding stump speeches are all you need to be a successful politician.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

You know, how Romney and his supporters play the bigot card against Republicans not willing to vote for him. Or basically telling conservatives they’ll vote for him whether they like it or not. That sort of thing.

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Perhaps you don’t think we should be offended by all the things you say about Romney?

There is no way he is anything like 0boz0, but there is no use arguing with you because you won’t listen to reason.

Has no one heard that he took $1.00 a year for all four years he was gov?
He took nothing for the 4 years he saved (yes saved, I was there) the Olympics.
He has spent years serving his Church and the poor (I guess about 15).
He pays a tithing to his Church.
He has spent 25 years as a Sunday School teacher.
Does any of this sound like 0b0z0?
He donated the money his father left him to charity.
There is not a hint of scandal in his business dealings. You might not like that people were fired, but isn’t that what we want him to do with the bulging government largess?
Come on, he has made himself and he knows how to help the economy.
Please, please vote for whomever, but when it’s all over we must unite against 0b0z0.

Bambi on March 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

It’s not the Republican Party that’s the problem. It’s the

writeblock on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Nice creative re-editing of history. You’re supposed to wait till those of us who lived through that era die off before you start editing the narrative. Don’t worry though, after a few years of Romneycare Obamacare, most of us geezers will be quite dead, and you can go about altering history any way you’d like.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Yes. That’s what I’m going to do. I may have to get liquored up first.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Yes. That’s what I’m going to do. I may have to get liquored up first.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

And make sure your SCBA is in good repair. Holding your nose ain’t gonna cut it.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

2012 isn’t just about Romney. this election was never supposed to be a referendum against Romney. It was supposed to be about Obama.

make it about Obama.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

You willing to stake your children’s and everyone else’s kids’ futures on that?

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Yup. And their own children. And they are with me on this. They know that there comes a point when you draw a line, and say NO MORE. NOT ONE MORE INCH. They understand that these decisions are never as easy as simply going along with the lesser of two evils – that standing for once’s principles may entail unimaginable suffering, and even worse.

They are good sons and daughters.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Santorum SCREWED UP – and he’s OFF my List!!

THERE IS NO “EXCUSE” OR “CONTEXT” FOR A REMARK THIS STUPID!!

williamg on March 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It’s interesting that you ask that question. My life was worse under Jimmy Carter. Much worse. Although I’d say my country is in much worse shape now than then, it wasn’t irreversible then, and it’s not irreversible now.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Are you calling me a troll because I disagree with you?

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Janny, your letting them put you on the defensive. Remember they are not interested in intellectual honesty, persuasion, etc. Just tell them to screw themselves. Hell, you know what you are about and what you stand for and you don’t need to be held in their good graces girl! Your fighting the good fight against unworthy foes IMHO.

KickandSwimMom on March 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Enjoy your second term Obama, courtesy of people like SilverDeth.

He would rather let evil triumph because he didn’t get everything he wanted.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

IcedTea on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Uh, no they don’t. Not unless a commenter happens to be obsessed with Mormon theology and sound, oh, I don’t know….bigoted? There are quite a few of them commenting here. But Romney himself has never done that. Anything else?

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Are you calling me a troll because I disagree with you?

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

\

They have been doing that for weeks now – they assume that nobody could possibly be as backwards and stupid as these conservatives, so we must all be some flavor of liberal plant.

It’s an arrogance thing. They can’t fathom why the peasants are misbehaving, or why they’d want to. Their belief system has deviated so starkly from those I as a conservative espouse, that they simply cannot relate to them at all.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

make it about Obama.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Until and unless Romney has 1144 delegates by the time the convention hits, it is all about whichever candidates choose to remain in the race. And Mitt is less than halfway there. He’ll probably go all the way before the convention. I’d be shocked if he didn’t have 1144 going in, but he’ll get there without my primary vote.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Apparently – THIS is the setting in which Santorum MADE his STOOOPID Remarks…..sounds troubling:

“Rick Santorum burst out from behind the curtain Laughing MADLY. He was carrying a pistol and waving around in the air WILDLY. He stumbled forward and spun around like a like a Quarter rimming around on the floor and bouncing to stasis. Then he aimed the Pistol at his crotch, Emptied all Six Rounds into himself……..and fell over stone still.”

williamg on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Live by the gaffe sword, die by the gaffe sword.

scotash on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

It has been a downward spiral. Carter hastened it. We have been the frogs in the boiling pot; you have no idea what freedom you have lost because you have never experienced it. Obama has made it stark, and electing someone who will make no attempt to reverse course will not save us. Jeb is warming up, and nothing will change. One need only look at the spiraling debt, and see that one who goes along to get along is not the cure.

FirelandsO3 on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That’s a good point. We have huge paper ballots and I will have to hold it with one hand and mark it with the other. Thanks for the reminder!

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I’m sorry, but if you’re going to be sanctimonious like that, then bite me.

That good fight is something we are all supposed to fighting. Not each other. Everyone is going after each other here and we are going to lose.

Obama’s reading this and smiling. You, me, everyone here is responsible. We all should be voting for Obama. Hell, we can’t come together, we might as well.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Santorum SCREWED UP – and he’s OFF my List!!

THERE IS NO “EXCUSE” OR “CONTEXT” FOR A REMARK THIS STUPID!!

williamg on March 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

If this isn’t a joke, then you need a valium real bad.

KickandSwimMom on March 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

However, the problem is actually the opposite – if you check, you’ll note that the only constant, angered “woe is the Republicans” complainers are almost invariably the most virulent anti-Romney types. You don’t have to go very far to confirm it – you see it on display just in this thread, correct?

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That doesn’t answer my question. Why will government fear us if Romney is voted into the White House?

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

SilverDramaQueen on March 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Your loathing and derision of conservatives however is noted, and again I must ask… why do you care about us meaningless conservatives… we are useless statistical outliers – you don’t need our votes or our money, so why complain about us making it clear you won’t get them?

I don’t loathe conservatives…I are one. I do loathe the self-proclaimed spokesmen for conservatives who are in fact just blog commenters with an odd sense of self-importance. You speak for one person … you … and tonight you seem a little extra full of yourself, if you don’t mind me saying so.

We are worthless, this point has been driven home by the romney supporters – they have made this a campaign not a battle against Obama but war against the conservative base of the party.

“We, the conservative base of the party” — I think that is called melodrama, isn’t it? Consider the possibility that there are lots of conservatives who have found themselves left with Romney as the most conservative candidate who is viable in the general election.

We long ago rejected your phony-baloney conservative Santorum for a multitude of reasons that I won’t bother to repeat for the 100th time — you’re too dense to comprehend the list anyway. But remember — none of the qualified conservatives decided to run for President this cycle, and all of them had some flaw in their conservatism that would have left you drunks sputtering about being “liberals” or “Democrats” or some such.

Jaibones on March 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

williamg on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Careful – that’s approaching the kind of talk that earns a Secret Service knock at the door.

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

You question was not directed at me, but I will answer: It was materially worse under Carter. Now, given time, Barry will MAKE things worse, but if you want to really nit-pick, things are gonna get worse no matter who is at the helm of the great ship Titanic. We are not quite back into the 70′s where we were talking about bringing back ration cards, and waiting in line for gas.

Give it a year or two.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

/raises hand

Because federalism, that’s why! 10th amendment! Don’t you get it?!

/UberSnark

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM

That’s all the farther I needed to read. All the rest was hyperbole and conjecture.

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM

You know, I’m the kind of person that when people insult me, I tend to ignore them. You’ve been on this site the last few days screaming at everyone to roll over for Romney. Yet, you claim we shouldn’t be fighting each other. Problem is, you have no tolerance for those who don’t take your orders. Tough cookies.

KickandSwimMom on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hyperbole and conjecture? That no politician ever got elected on a platform of doing less, and neither will Romney? If you really think that’s hyperbole and conjecture, you are woefully (and probably willfully) ignorant of American history.

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

They are good sons and daughters.

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM

priceless :-) like you have principles, unless you call that your delusional obsessions/fixations…you are just a pathetic self-obsessed moby who trolls hot gas to get the attention that you wouldn’t otherwise get anywhere else…if your off springs are so good as you say they are, why do they keep you attention-starved like this?…

jimver on March 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

hyperbole and conjecture…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

FirelandsO3 on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

No, I’ve been to Venezuela five times since Chavez took power. I’ve seen what marxism and socialism leads to. I’ve seen real poverty and misery with my own eyes. I know where we’re headed and I’ve been warning people since Obama became the Democratic nominee and nobody’s listened then and no one listening now. I’d rather have a liberal like Romney than Marxist like Obama. There is a difference.

If Obama wins, it’s over. You people will wish Romney would’ve won if that happens. Obama will be empowered and unstoppable.

It’s always been about getting rid of Obama with me.

The US has been the only country in the world currently that has never had a dictator. We’re about due.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Heh. Obviously I don’t, but that’s worlds better than the usual, “because, shut up you Obama-loving, anti-Mormon bigot” answer.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yeah, you’re right. Here, they’re much more likely to play the “hate” card than the “bigot” card. Not much difference, though, IMO. It’s still a way of dealing with the real reasons that people simply don’t like Romney as a candidate.

There have also been a small cadre of them here accusing southern evangelical voters of anti-Mormon bigotry, because they can’t stand the thought that the people of Louisiana might be smart enough to decide for themselves that they don’t want Romney.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

you’re not innocent either lady.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

hyperbole and conjecture…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Okay. If you say so.

/MEH

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Wow, more totally unfounded assumptions about me.

And if the candidate was Santorum and you were stuck voting for him to “get rid of Obama” then I wouldn’t be saying ‘boo hoo’ to you, nor would I come at you with some egotistical arrogant CRAPOLA about how there are “more of me than there are of you.”…
JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I never said you had to be HAPPY ABOUT IT! I never said you had a guy in this race. I did say you were complaining about being “crapped on” and you yourself threatened to go third party. So….what did I miss? I’ve said all along I’d vote for whoever the candidate is. My candidate was Romney last time around. I didn’t go around whining that I’d been “crapped on” and threaten to go third party because RINO maverick got the nod instead of the more conserative Romney. I voted for him in the primary and McCain in the general, and I did what I could to advocate for McCain/Palin.

The reason I assumed you hadn’t been voting for very long is because of your attitude. A perfect example? You’re upset by my statement there are more of me than you. That’s about statistical facts, and to call it “arrogant” is silly and…childish.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I agree – which is why I am standing up against business as usual – even though I know it may lead to horrible pain and even ruin. I fully agree with you, that it’s so simple to be a callow yellow-belly and simply show up and vote for business as usual like a drone.

But I can’t in good conscience continue to perpetuate evil and wickedness by cowardly and thoughtlessly voting for the sh*t-kabobs the Republicans keep dumping in my lap.

Thank you for agreeing with me that now is the time to take a stand that may be very painful

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

gryphon202 on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM

glad you agree. ;)

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Remember that when Obama’s a dictator and you start wishing that you had voted for Romney.

Pcoop on March 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

SilverDeth on March 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM

This just annoys me to no end. You lost fair and square. Over a million more people have voted for Romney than Santorum. Consistently a group that votes for Romney over Santorum are college educated and graduate degree holders. I don’t say that to be prideful, I say that to point out these are not stupid people that are choosing Romney over Santorum. Santorum is so disorganized, he couldn’t even figure out how to get on the ballot in numerous races. Are you trying to tell us we should actually vote for someone like that against a sitting president?!

scotash on March 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM