Santorum: Maybe America’s better off with Obama than taking a risk on an “Etch-a-Sketch” candidate

posted at 5:50 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Faced with the reality that his chances have collapsed, the Sweater Vest begins to unravel:

“You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there. If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future,” Santorum told a crowd at USAA.

During a press avail following the event, Santorum, who carried the Etch A Sketch during his speech, argued that Romney knows he can’t win in the general election.

“All the things that allow Romney to win the primary are unavailable to him to win the general and that’s why you see these Etch A Sketch comments because he knows he can’t win,” said Santorum.

Romney issued a statement later saying he’s “disappointed to hear that Rick Santorum would rather have Barack Obama as president than a Republican.” Question for Team RS: What “risk” is there, exactly, that President Etch-a-Sketch would be worse than Obama? Even if his political instincts carry him towards the center, he knows he can’t stray too far from the base on big-ticket items like, oh, say, Supreme Court appointments. That’s a big difference, not a little difference, and a pro-life advocate as passionate as Santorum surely knows it. I’m no Romney fan, yet the only argument I can come up with in which The One is possibly maybe supposedly conceivably theoretically preferable to Romney is some sort of “only Nixon can go to China” reasoning. Only a Republican like Nixon could make nice with Mao because a Democrat would have been accused by the right of harboring secret communist sympathies. Nixon’s party ID immunized him from that; by the same token, you could argue that if an attack on Iran is inevitable it’s better that Obama gives the order than Romney because the anti-war left will roll over like puppies for him (again). You could, if you’re really daring, even argue that only a Democratic president can sign entitlement reform because partisan loyalty will help defang some of its many, many, many, many liberal opponents. I don’t buy the latter argument, though — I think it’s one of the few policy areas in which the left will be ferocious even in opposing a Democratic president, if not quite as ferocious as they’d be towards a Republican. (That’s one reason Obama hasn’t been aggressive about it despite his campaign promises about entitlements.) And as for Iran, are you willing to purchase relative liberal silence on an attack at the high price of trillions more in debt and a few new stridently liberal SCOTUS justices? I’ll pass.

I’m actually amazed he’s making this argument given the hard feelings it’ll engender among Republicans who’ll soon be rallying around Romney in an “anybody but Obama” fervor. Santorum’s sunk this time but he’s raised his profile significantly for 2016. Time to start thinking ahead strategically instead of letting bitterness run away with that yapper of his. Exit quotation from Byron York: “Asked what other plans Santorum had to call attention to the [Etch-a-Sketch] matter, [Santorum spokesman Alice] Stewart said, ‘Lots.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13 14 15 17

wooo doggies. Looks like Rick forgot to flush the toilet and the whole HA commentariat walked into the bathroom…

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

It’s gotten bad over the last few years.
I try to play nice-but sometimes I show my fangs.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Oh I know. I’ve been around for 5 years now I think. I just don’t post a lot. I do remember a lot of nutcases coming out of the woodwork for the 2008 primary, but I don’t think it was as bad as this, heh.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’ve been very busy lately with tax season and my daughter getting engages.

Happy times in my house.

God bless all here.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Your comments have left little to the imagination sport.

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

If you think Romney would be worse than Obama, how could you be ABR and then ABO if Romney gets the nomination?

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

ABO feelings for the general can trump the ABR feelings for the primary.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

You would have to prove yourself worthy. For now, you, like the other nutballs, are just my version of a cat toy. Speaeking of cat toy, what happened to your other nutball comrade, whatasillycattoy…

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Think sixth letter in the alphabet followed by a U.

I don’t have to prove jack to you. You are a liar, you made a false accusation, I asked you to prove it and you can’t do it. You’re absolutely despicable.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Can we be anymore self- righteous? I thought that was a quality exclusively reserved for us ” mittards” ?

FlaMurph on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Self-righteous? Oh, the outrageous outrage.

I’ve never used the term “mittards,” and I’ve got no problem with you. Why are you singling me out, when everybody on HotAir knows that there is nobody better at dishing it out on this site than BuyDanish?

Did I attack your sacred cow, Mitt Romney, and you want to get back at me, like a first grader on the playground?

Go pound sand.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

My post didn’t post.

IF Mitt can be trusted to really repeal Obamacare and NOT do a federal anything to replace it, AND seriously cut the budget AND pound Obama’s record in his face between now and November, I promise I won’t throw up when I vote for him. These 3 things are why I am SO reluctant that he could end up as our nominee.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That’s alot of “ifs.” That is the problem I still have with Romney.

I don’t think Romney will even repeal Obamacare; I think he will just nip around the edges and if by some miracle he does repeal it, he will certainly replace it with some federal thing.

He will not actually SERIOUSLY cut the budget any more than all the past Republican RINOS and squishes have done anything about spending in Congress these many decades.

And Romney has already indicated several times that he won’t be fighting Obama by playing the hardball that needs to be played, any more than McCain did. Plus voters will find him boring and too Wall St in an anti-Wall St. year and he is just not likable.

I think the only reason Romney has any chance of getting elected is if the electorate dislikes Obama even more and stays that way until November. But with Obama’s money and the press, I don’t trust the electorate and I don’t want to take any chances.

I am not confident Romney can win. And we can’t take any chances this year. Sure, I will swallow hard and vote for him. I will even put his bumper sticker on my car. My question is will the Independents and Reagan Dems like him enough over Obama to vote for him and will enough Christians and our base voters turn out for Romney.

I’m not there yet by a long shot. I say Santorum (and maybe even Newt, but probably not) should stay in.

This sums up why:

Brokered Convention! How much worse could it be????? Maybe we would get lucky!!

lisa fox on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I couldn’t agree more. I can think of several Republicans who would be as bad a candidate as Romney, but I can’t think of too many who would be worse.

And we could get lucky and get someone better. No matter when Republicans unite with our nominee, now or in August, the press and Obama will attack.

This keeps the Dems off their game for now and keeps the national subject on how bad Obama is, with all our candidates criticizing him as if it is an indisputable fact that Obama is a disaster. That sinks in with the electorate. Obama can’t really start his campaign until we decide our nominee.

And even if we don’t have a nominee until August, 2 months is a lifetime in politics. There will be enough Republican and Independent hate of Obama to rally the troops even at the last minute. After a week of licking our wounds, we will unite in enough time.

Still to early for me to get behind Romney. I am hoping for something more. Probably won’t happen, but until the fat lady sings, there is still a chance.

Especially this election cycle year when we’ve seen so many crazy things happen.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I think Rick is so deranged that he thinks he is destined by God to be president and sees “that Morman devil” as being in his way.

He may need psychiatric help when this is done.

Tater Salad on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Works for me, but saying santorum supporters are dumb is not
bigoted. I would much rather have you call me the names you just did than bigot.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Okay!

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

PS: Cozmo, allow me to quote your crony, Bmore.

“BYE”

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

ABO feelings for the general can trump the ABR feelings for the primary.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I completely understand that, but newtopia said that Romney would be worse than Obama. So why vote for someone who would be worse than who we have now?

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

troyriser_gopftw on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I see your point and agree. But even if they would never vote, the fact that there seems to be a concerted effort to inject bad blood between those of us that are supposedly on the same team will do damage.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

It’s about time for our Kumbaya moment here in hotair. Time to mend those fences, etch those sketches and jump aboard the Republican ticket. No need to cut off your nose to spite your face.

hot-heir on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Unrepentant Teapartyist on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

And to think people didn’t want Sarah to run. If she had, this primary would have eventually come around to her being the favored because she is conservative in her gut and all of her actions. She is also FOR THE PEOPLE, not the establishment.

It breaks my heart.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

* engaged

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Mazeltov on your daughter’s engagement!
Spawn turns 18 April 1(make your jokes. Heh) and graduates from high school at the end of May.
I’m feeling old. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Time for Santorum to go home. I mean how many more tantrums like this are his supporters ready to support?

Zaggs on March 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Buh bye RICK

CW on March 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Sorry, but I can’t get on board with that. My state’s primary isn’t until June and the idea of actually mattering for a change is rather appealing to me this time out. ;-)

gryphon202

Where did you get the idea it’s going to matter this time out, lol?

xblade on March 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM

angrymike on March 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

How you doing angrymike? I’m just sitting up here in the bleachers watching. Popcorn? None of these folks ever make it to QOTD. And if they do they are usually good folk. ; ) See ya there.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Thank God cozmo you did it, she finally left.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

What the hell are you talking about? Did I say you are someone’s “acquaintance” or “ally”? Like Bmore and her comrade Cozmo did?

BTW, you’re complaints about the tone here is hilarious. You are hardly ms. sweetness and light. Which you just proved…

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

]

I didn’t say I was an angel, and I didn’t say YOU attacked me in any way. I got attacked earlier TODAY for no good reason. I’ve seen you dish it out in a big way, too. Your outrage seems a bit out of proportion, but YMMV.

I didn’t mean to start a fight. I just get tired of all the whining here. And yeah, I do it sometimes, too.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Finally.

Put a fork in this sanctimonious whinebag.

He coulda’ been a contender, but he kept slapping himself around.

BacaDog on March 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM

It breaks my heart.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

All so true. Very sad. We had alot of very good (but not perfect) candidates. One by one the media and fellow Republicans and conservatives trashed them.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if calling one candidate’s supporters “conspiratorial Prison Planet rejects and a few Stormfront neo-nazis with a desire to spread the good news about Hitler and the bad news about the Jooos” qualifies as an effort to inject bad blood between those of us that are supposedly on the same team?

EddieC on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Think sixth letter in the alphabet followed by a U.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Aw, kissie kissie. You know what you wrote, and I know what you wrote.

Oh, as for what you want to do with me…I’m intrigued…

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Is this worse than what Romney’s communication director said Danish?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Defending the indefensible again I see….

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Mazeltov on your daughter’s engagement!
I’m feeling old. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Mazeltov to you too, my friend.

Yes, we are getting old.

My sister-in-law commented the other day how we will be the “old people” at my daughter’s wedding. lol Where did the years go.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

You two have made some pretty powerful arguments for Santorum in past threads, and you both seem like reasonable people. Are you really ok with Santorum supporting Obama over Romney? Because it really seems to validate the argument that he is not running to defeat O, but to defeat R…..

Priscilla on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Now, Priscilla, there you go again. You, I and everyone else on this site knows Santorum really is not supporting Obama over Romney. He was rhetorically asking the question: what’s the difference between them on the important issues: I.e, Obamacare, cap & trade, etc., and he has some valid points–just ask Ken Cuccinelli. Further, you, I and everyone else also know that this primary has come down to simple “gotcha” politics. There is no benefit of the doubt given to anyone–Romney included. So please stop trying to draw me into the “gotcha” word game by throwing out your lame premise that Santorum is supporting Obama.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You summed up my anguish completely. Well stated.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I didn’t catch that part just the quote you were responding to (I think) Too many comments here when I came in so I didn’t try catching up before joining the fray!

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Why are you singling me out, when everybody on HotAir knows that there is nobody better at dishing it out on this site than BuyDanish?…

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hey, thanks for the compliment!

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

No worries :)

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I see your one of the holdouts like me, Igor R. and JannyMae. We are fast being outnumbered here and may have to take cover from the incoming fire soon!

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

EddieC on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I don’t think he meant it that way. He was specific about those types coming here just to set fire to the place, they don’t care for any of our candidates so they don’t count in that regard.

They are only here to pose as a candidate backer all the while causing a rift in the party. And I agree with that statement.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

You summed up my anguish completely. Well stated.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Same with your posts. Wish things were different. Wish I thought we could be wrong. But I think we are right.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

My hero and mentor.: )

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

lol

I think it’s foolish to rush this thing. Plenty of time. Like I said, a month in politics can be like an eternity. Plenty of time later to rally behind whoever the nominee is.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

My hero and mentor.: )

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Stop that! I am a mean nasty ogre. I am the definition of anti-hero. Keep that up and its back to the dungeon with you. And no soup for you!

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Aw, kissie kissie. You know what you wrote, and I know what you wrote.
cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Congratulations. You’re a liar, you can’t back up your patently false claims about my relationship with other commenters, so you’ve got nothing left but to behave like a pathetic, snot-faced punk.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Totally uncalled for statement by Santorum. He step’d over the line. DD

Darvin Dowdy on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Elsa, we can take heart, the latest poll now have Sarah with very high favorables. She has come back from the “dead” that the left tried to put her in with their 3 years of unrelenting attacks, AIDED by Romney’s campaign staff and aids. This is ANOTHER reason I really don’t like that guy.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Let’s face it, most of us here in deep trauma are VERY UPSET that the ruling elite are once again determining the nominee. The GOP ruling elite are more interested in getting their Senate chairmanships back, than saving our country from the wreckage of an Obama regime. It breaks my heart.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Karen,

Why don’t you investigate reality for a change? Every time I read someone claiming that the magical “ruling elite” have determined the nominee I wonder what planet they’re viewing. Are these “ruling elite” stuffing the ballot boxes? Isn’t it a fact that the presumed nominee has had more than a million more people vote for him than anyone else? If you think some cabal you call the “ruling elite” has that kind of power I wonder if you really have a grasp of reality. I’ve been a Republican since the malaise days of Carter, and of driving off a cliff with sweater vest just isn’t in the cards for more people than that ruling elite. Most people I vote against end up winning anyway; but if Santorum or Gingrich were our nominee, there would be such a landslide of opposition that the Senate and Congress would be Democratic until they were able to finally destroy this nation. That you and others can’t see this is truly amazing.

Alma on March 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

So 13 pages of posts later, will LA go with Santorum, or elevate the other Not Mitt to front runner in their state, or just throw in the towel and vote Mitt on Saturday?

This could be interesting.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Someone has probably already said this, but I am going to say it again. Santorum just jumped the shark.

Aodhan on March 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

I simply want Mitt to enter the election day with the most Conservative positions possible.

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hey there Igor.

You may disagree, but I think Mitt will govern from a Conservative position. He’s nothing at all like Obama and Santy was silly and imprudent to say otherwise. Santy is probably tired from the rigors of the campaign, low on moolah and begrudgingly coming to terms with the near certainty that Mitt will be our nominee. His behavior smacks of serious sour grapes, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt because of the aforementioned mitigating circumstances. To comport himself with graciousness rather than pettiness is how Santy can eventually bow out gracefully.

Slainte on March 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Santorum done jumped himself a shark.

Elizabetty on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I think if I wrote a book entitled Hating Santorum, it would be a blockbuster with the sodomites. I say that half kidding.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’m sorry you feel that that’s what I was doing. I was asking a legit question. I don’t believe that Santorum was innocently making the case that he provides the better contrast with Obams….but, even if he was, the way he articulated it seems as self-serving, backstabbing and disloyal as it gets. So, I was looking for clarification from a Santorum supporter whom I took seriously. I won’t make that mistake again.

Priscilla on March 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Because suddenly words don’t matter. All the hype about Romney’s past statements and when Santorum drops an elephant sized turd in the punch bowl basically saying screw party unity it is all good?/

Riiiight.

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You guys that plan to hold your nose and vote for Mittness don’t realize that you’re be stampeded by the GOP establishment. The same group that despised Reagan and the conservatives.

If you consider yourselves to be conservative, why on earth would you consider voting for the lesser of two evils? And a progressive Republican is just as evil as the dem prove. They just boil you alive at a lower and slower rate, while telling you you can only chose from one of two parties. If that was true, the GOP would never have risen to elect Abe Lincoln. And the Whigs would continue to betray the abolitionists, cycle after cycle for who knows how long.

Love how these CINOs and RINOs on HA come along with their stupid Jedi mind tricks, postulating that because Mittwit is unacceptable to us, that it means we’re secretly astroturfing for Obama.
Here’s a quick definition of a conservative

A conservative seeks to re-establish the limits and boundaries of Government as framed by the Founding Fathers of the United States of America. In God we trust, not the Government. Conservatives want to impose fiscal discipline, restrain the reach of the federal government as outlined in the Constitution and defend America’s traditional family values.
The American two-party system is broken. It has become a system of elite political insiders who only serve the special interest groups that help keep them in control. Some elites call themselves “Democrats” while others call themselves “Republicans”.

The elite of the two major parties continue to fail America based on our spiraling national debt, trillion-dollar annual budget deficits, off-budget Earmarks, escalating illegal immigration, weakening Dollar and loss of traditional American values. They are stealing America’s future because they are only dedicated to getting re-elected.

If that doesn’t summarize how you view yourself, then you are NOT a conservative.

In that sense, why on earth would I WANT Oboobie whe is the polar opposite of the above statement? Why on earth would I WANT Mittwit, who fancies himself to be an expert manager that can “repair” the entitlements and fix the agencies?
90% of our Federal Agencies have no raison d’etre other than to grow government and leech my tax dollars on socilaized charity and provide the Feds with a venue to exert control over us. Aboslutely NONE of the entitlements are derived from the Constitution and should have never been brought forth in the first place.

But like frogs, we were slow cooked to see that these enhancements were practically free. Name one program that ever came under budget, let alone on budget?
Above all else, conservatives value self-reliance over govt assistance. Name one thing that Mittness favors that expemplfies self-reliance? No, he just wants to fix and strengthen big govt.

==============================

As for those conservatives that lean towards voting for Oboobie in the GE, they are forced, albeit reluctantly, to do so in the hopes of saving the GOP, from the elites deadly intent on blurring the line between the two parties. That way under Oboobi, the democrats get the blame, some of the RINOs get tossed and that hopefully, the conservatives can rebuild the party from within to be resurrected in 2016.

I can totally understand their reasoning because they love this country above all and are trying to figure out how to reverse the course we’re on.

===========================

Then there are some that plan to stay home. We know they exist, but by the mere fact that they didn’t vote — an equally valid choice — they in a way have shortchanged themselves because there is no accurate way to quantify their ‘NO’ votes.

Again, I can understand this viewpoint, because I’ve done it before. This is a fine way to express digust at the system in the past few cycles where the country wasn’t on the brink of ruin. This time, I hope they really should reconsider their options.
I almost sat out 2008, but with Palin as VP, I changed my mind and hoped that McVain would be laid to rest right after his inauguration. Yeah, I said it – McVain is a disgusting pandering POS fully engaged in watering down our Constitution, so he and his friends can stay in power and lording over us rather than serving us.

===========================

Last but not least — hopefully more this time around than the other two groups of Not-Mitt above — there are those who are done with voting for the lesser of two evils. They like me are leaning towards just washing our hands of both parties and going with either the conservative party or writing in a conservative like Palin. Win or lose, we will have made our voices heard and will have to be factored into any political calculation in the aftermath of the GE.

We figure this is the best way, in that our votes are counted as standing athwart of this progressive and doomed destiny, declaring that like 1856/60, there is a third way that can and will get us out of this mess.

In that sense, the convention is the last chance for the party to right itself or find itself irrelevant in 2014/16.

============================

So when you CINO/RINOs insinuate that you are conservatives, and that we’re not, just what are you defending? The party that betrays you over and over again or the country over party?

And of course we have others here that put party over country, some of you are even party hacks astroturfing here and what
drives your rage is that by us saying no to the party, it threatens your own personal standing and/or ambitions within the party apparatus. You know who you are.

AH_C on March 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

We all know he is moving to the center for the general election. Every candidate does that.

You know what will keep him as far to the right as possible? Not this primary – the goal of winning re-election.

milcus on March 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I’ve always joked that if Santorum was pro-sodomy, pro-beastiality, and pro-abortion, man could have been president.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Does this mean the sexual relationship you alluded to earlier is called off?

And here I cleared some time on the calender in anticipation that you had an iota of integrity in the words you wrote.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Gov. Palin’s not a candidate-who does/don’t like her is kind of unimportant.
I am VERY against a brokered convention. If you didn’t go through the primaries-you don’t deserve to be the nominee.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You’re like the fat kid in the corner trying to get someones attention huh? I’m reading your comments mate. I’ll give ya a lol too if that helps.

Will someone talk to this poor yob?

smoothsailing on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I wish we could all get together as one and be vigilant in voting for the nominee no matter who it is. I don’t care if it’s Mitt, Rick, Newt, Sarah or a frigin snowman. The only thing that is and has always been important, is regime change. Can we work on that now?

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Very interesting. It is a disgrace that Republicans, including Romney , allowed her to be trashed like she was. She didn’t deserve it. Same with Perry and the other conservatives.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Gov. Palin’s not a candidate-who does/don’t like her is kind of unimportant.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Then why does it go to a brokered convention then?

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Mitt 0′bama remains a liberal, Santorum is a fool, and Newt remains the best hope for America today but that won’t stop people for voting for the wrong candidate.

Today I’m laughing at the Sarah Palin naysayers as it will be their candidates who will keep 0bama in power for FOUR MORE YEARS.

The people in the TEA Partys are discussing the third party potential. I won’t vote for the Communist, nor the liberal. Maybe I’ll just write in my own name this year.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

….She has come back from the “dead” that the left tried to put her in with their 3 years of unrelenting attacks, AIDED by Romney’s campaign staff and aids [sic]. This is ANOTHER reason I really don’t like that guy.
karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

That too is a falsehood, perpetuated by the Hot Air Rumor Mill. Not a single commenter has been able to substantiate these allegations.

You all might be better off reading the National Enquirer and other similar tabloids since that’s the level of journalistic standards you seem to emulate.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

It breaks my heart.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I don’t see Karl Rove and other members of the League of Evil Republican Establishment Villains holding Little Nell hostage to force anyone to vote for this or that candidate. This whole notion of a ‘GOP ruling elite’ grates on the nerves. You line up, sign up, step in the booth and pull the lever for whomever you like. That’s how it works.

Comes to that, I wish we really did have a cabal of ruthless Machiavellian masterminds intent upon laying waste to the Democrats, using a combination of scorched earth and salted ground, but such an approach might tend to distract from the message. We’ve had over three years of division and discord so far. The country can’t afford four more years of the same. Time to come together as a people and fix this mess.

troyriser_gopftw on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Alma on March 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I don’t believe that our nominee, no matter WHO it is, will lose Congress. The people know how badly the Dems over-reached when they had control. What do you think the 2010 election was all about?

The local tea parties have been VERY active at the local level getting their delegates in place, their candidates in the primaries, etc. They are getting serious work done. THAT is one of the reasons this national ticket is such a disaster. The “we the people” types are getting it done at the state and local levels and the Congressional level. At least that is one of the reasons why Michigan went red in 2010, and just might unseat a 2 term Dem Senator this fall. We also will gain a larger GOP majority of Congressional seats because redistricting went our way. And our state Houses will also go more our way because we won the redistricting fight.

The Michigan success was duplicated in many, many states in 2010. We will reap the results this fall.

If we could only trust Mitt would campaign as nasty and dirty like he did in the primary, it will even help the Congressional and Senate races. But he is SUCH a spineless weasel, I envision him servicing Obama with kneepads instead, just like McCain. I hope he proves me wrong.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I don’t I’m not going to lose sleep if somehow Jindal or Pence got the nomination at brokered convention over Romney.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Aside from Carl Paladino’s recent NY Governor’s run, I’ve never seen a campaign self destruct this way. So many unforced errors…did the campaign manager go on vacation? Sad. I thought he was a better candidate than Romney.

Tomolena1 on March 22, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I think Newt jumped the shark when he said that his vision was so big that voters couldn’t comprehend it. When you are constantly ridiculed for having a big ego, you’d think you back off of those kind of statements. The man has no self awareness.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

That is the same message sent out when Bush was running. See how well that worked out in the end?

Third Party or Bust.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

FDR was nominated at a brokered convention. That worked out well for Democrats, 4 terms of him. Not so much the country.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Does this mean the sexual relationship you alluded to earlier is called off?

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You’re pathetic. Grow up.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I’m not for 3rd party, just another solid Republican like Jindal or Pence running the general. Twin Romney with Obama, and I think support jumps from Romney to Jindal or Pence or somebody like this.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My vision is one of the future in which I see RonMe working to ‘fix’ 0bamacare, raise taxes, and push back the conservative movement decades. That is why I CANNOT vote for 0bama lite.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Romney doesn’t have the kind of deep and wide support that would make it impossible for another REpublican to win the general election against him and Obama, in my view.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:19 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I see your like crack cocaine for her too. Oh by the way your kin just showed. Bye. QOTD if ya need me ; )

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

smoothsailing on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

but you read my posts for which I am eternally grateful..

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Drudge has changed his headline, now its Santorum Snaps

Jon0815 on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

And you very well can have your third party. I’m speaking to those who will be voting for the Republican. They are the ones I am concerned about. The good thing about this message is it worked on Bush. I hope it now works on Obama.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

LOLOL, is this a hookup site cozmo?

smoothsailing on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Sarah Palin is an embarrassing joke who would lose in a landslide. I’m glad she didn’t run. The woman didn’t even know that Africa wasn’t a country.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Never going to happen. The GOP elitist insiders won’t allow it.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

What every voter will be saying as they walk into the voting booth in November.

Exactly what do you think a hard pivot to the left will look like? Specifics? Will one be oh yea Obama Care is just fine we can easily write a new mandate that taxes everyone for health care but then gives a credit if they have insurance. Is that what it looks like?

Well actually Romney is already fine with RObama Care.

So pivot left must mean. What I Mitt stand for is Medicare for all. The elimination of all private health insurance. That the Supreme Court will allow so that is what it must be. Yup think that is it. Otherwise there is no pivot.

On Taxes. Now Mitts position is eliminate charitable deductions for the top 1%. Pivot left. Tax the top 1% at 70%.

I mean Romney ran to the left of Kennedy and that is the real Romney.

We can go down this path. But we will quickly find out that indeed Obama could be the far saner choice come November.

Which is fine. After all my entire life I felt I would live to see the Second Coming of Christ. If Mitt is the Nominee I will then know for a fact I will see it in my lifetime. If Santorum wins then perhaps not.

Is this extreme. In my mind no more extreme than going to a debate and lying about your record. I mean Mitt did champion Obama Care in 2009. So many other outright lies he has told almost like he was the mother of all lies.

Steveangell on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I used to think Newt was the emotionally unstable one.

This guy thinks he’s on a mission from God, and any obstacle that impedes him is an enemy to God. I used to like Santorum, a lot. Now I think he’s a crusader of the eleventh century type. Very dangerous.

rogaineguy on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Get out, Rick.

This is uncalled for.

NO ONE who would suggest Obama is acceptable over ANY of our candidates, even the creepy “Herr Doktor” is an idiot.

wildcat72 on March 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

The Republican Party is the republican party. Its not the conservative party.

We moderates have just as much right to get our nominee as the conservative wing of our part.

I have no problem with Rick Santorum continuing to run for the nomination.

I do have a problem with him sayin Obama would be superior to romney.

gerrym51 on March 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Move away from Karen and keep your hands in plain sight, the lot of you. She’s a ‘nista, and we’re not given to leaving our people to your predations.

wolfsDad on March 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Do ya want to tell me something else? I’ve got a few more minutes before I need to hit the books again.

smoothsailing on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

So, now that the unelectable Rick “Porn Police” Santorum’s career is finished after essentially declaring Obama preferable over our Republican nominee, does this mean that Newt Gingrich will have yet another rise from the dead?

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Never going to happen. The GOP elitist insiders won’t allow it.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Insiders can’t stop another Republican from running. They can intimidate other Republicans, but that means the other REpublicans are cowards.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

And you very well can have your third party. I’m speaking to those who will be voting for the RepublicanRINO architect of 0bamacare.
Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM

FIFY

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Rick just lost LA on Saturday, if he doesn’t realize it’s over after comments such as these it’s time to bring in the orderlies with the straight jacket.

Tater Salad on March 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I personally don’t think Santorum thinks Obama will be superior to Romney. All the candidates engage in hyperbole like this at times but we only have to get outraged by it when it is aimed at Romney.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Tell that to Sarah Palin.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Pretty sure Lousiiana is going to vote for Santorum.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Tell that to Sarah Palin.

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

How did they stop her? She made the decision not to run.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You have to have a plurality of delegates in five states to be nominated in a brokered convention. But like your social life, brokered conventions don’t exist.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I wonder if you are a conservative if you are so outraged over Santorum’s hyperbole that you’d go vote for the RomneyCare guy. Just a thought.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

AH_C on March 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

WOW

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Need I remind you that Nicole Wallace is married to a high level aid in the Romney camp. There are others.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

You’re pathetic. Grow up.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

And on top of everything else you are, you’re a teasin’ nutball now.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

No need to fix anything I said. I believe I was pretty clear on my intent. You can continue with the RINO thing all you like. No one is forcing you to vote for any of them. If you don’t want to, then please don’t. But those of us that want to see Obama out of office have a choice to make, back the candidate that will be our nominee or give Obama 4 more years.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

For those of you are confused, this guy is the perfect example of a troll. I don’t do this kind of thing, but I get called a troll. If a website is going to do the ban thing, this guy should be at the top of the que.

Just my 2 cents.