Santorum: Maybe America’s better off with Obama than taking a risk on an “Etch-a-Sketch” candidate

posted at 5:50 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Faced with the reality that his chances have collapsed, the Sweater Vest begins to unravel:

“You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there. If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future,” Santorum told a crowd at USAA.

During a press avail following the event, Santorum, who carried the Etch A Sketch during his speech, argued that Romney knows he can’t win in the general election.

“All the things that allow Romney to win the primary are unavailable to him to win the general and that’s why you see these Etch A Sketch comments because he knows he can’t win,” said Santorum.

Romney issued a statement later saying he’s “disappointed to hear that Rick Santorum would rather have Barack Obama as president than a Republican.” Question for Team RS: What “risk” is there, exactly, that President Etch-a-Sketch would be worse than Obama? Even if his political instincts carry him towards the center, he knows he can’t stray too far from the base on big-ticket items like, oh, say, Supreme Court appointments. That’s a big difference, not a little difference, and a pro-life advocate as passionate as Santorum surely knows it. I’m no Romney fan, yet the only argument I can come up with in which The One is possibly maybe supposedly conceivably theoretically preferable to Romney is some sort of “only Nixon can go to China” reasoning. Only a Republican like Nixon could make nice with Mao because a Democrat would have been accused by the right of harboring secret communist sympathies. Nixon’s party ID immunized him from that; by the same token, you could argue that if an attack on Iran is inevitable it’s better that Obama gives the order than Romney because the anti-war left will roll over like puppies for him (again). You could, if you’re really daring, even argue that only a Democratic president can sign entitlement reform because partisan loyalty will help defang some of its many, many, many, many liberal opponents. I don’t buy the latter argument, though — I think it’s one of the few policy areas in which the left will be ferocious even in opposing a Democratic president, if not quite as ferocious as they’d be towards a Republican. (That’s one reason Obama hasn’t been aggressive about it despite his campaign promises about entitlements.) And as for Iran, are you willing to purchase relative liberal silence on an attack at the high price of trillions more in debt and a few new stridently liberal SCOTUS justices? I’ll pass.

I’m actually amazed he’s making this argument given the hard feelings it’ll engender among Republicans who’ll soon be rallying around Romney in an “anybody but Obama” fervor. Santorum’s sunk this time but he’s raised his profile significantly for 2016. Time to start thinking ahead strategically instead of letting bitterness run away with that yapper of his. Exit quotation from Byron York: “Asked what other plans Santorum had to call attention to the [Etch-a-Sketch] matter, [Santorum spokesman Alice] Stewart said, ‘Lots.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12 13 14 17

Great point, but is it wrong if evengelicals, or catholics, or Mormons vote for who they identify with? I don’t think so.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I would say that if it’s part of the consideration when deciding who do vote for, it’s fine, but if it’s the ONLY reason for voting for a candidate, it wouldn’t be a good thing.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

how refreshing to see the usual delusion here at hot gas.. good grief folks, many of your comments make the loonies at dailykos and democratunderground look sane

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

What scares me the most about Moderate Mittens…is the kind of “Republican” he attracts. …

Oh…and by the way establishment repubs….F. U.

Tim_CA on March 22, 2012 at 8:30 PM

For what it’s worth, I am conservative Christian, reluctantly supporting Romney. I don’t admire his lack of nerve, his complete lack of conservative philosophy, nor much of his record. But no conservatives ran for the position.

Gingrich is an unelectable fraud, and Santorum is simply unqualified to hold an important position in the Federal government. He’s not smart, not disciplined, inexperienced and he’s a fiscal liberal. His record sucks. Ron Paul makes him look economically illiterate.

My evangelical friend tells me “his people” won’t vote for a Mormon, so there you have Santorum’s late supporters: the leftovers from the other GOP dropouts and a bunch of religious bigots.

As for Romney, I only know he’ll be infinitely better than Obama. But he wasn’t in my top five ten.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I prefer eccentric. Insane is frolicking with gators.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:08 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

JannyMae, I’m afraid this place has been infested with some of the nastiest, most dishonest and vile campaign lackeys I’ve ever seen. Most of them are Romney supporters, and it seems they take their cue from Romney’s own campaign tactics. There is no point in arguing or conversing with them. They are not here to be reasoned with, persuaded or to be intellectually honest. They’re here to push their guy and his agenda no matter what that entails.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

THIS former Perry supporter is now in the Mitt camp.
Let’s finish this thing and then bring the fight to Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

actually i think that the peasants who vote for these guys grossly underestimate how craven and venal most of them are.

To me newt is clearly getting as much free press as he can just for his future speaking fees, book sales, etc.

I was fooled a little by Santorum..but sadly it looks like he’s in the same league as Newt. Looking for a FNC program or anything…Money from Someone is their single goals. Anyone…Freddie, Fannie…whoever. Show Me the Money.

Axerold must be overjoyed tonight. Trying to restrain his laughter so that he doesn’t snort while drinking a glass of fine wine…he hates that part.

That’s why the RNC will just have to go back to the good old days prior to the primary model. We have too many buffoons in the party.

What we need is disciplinary mechanisms….if you sound like a ows’er (like newt) then kick him out of the party…same with Rick.

I’m tired of these pols who think that trash talking and supporting the opposition is the path to victory.

r keller on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Is that any worse than Matt Romney talking up Obama? Hell, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think Matt would vote for Obama over his own father.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Why yes, yes I do think its worse.

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

/endquote

If it’s pure political optics you’re talking about, I’m actually inclined to agree. Matt Romney’s goof was a throwaway line akin to, “Whatever. Let’s talk about my dad instead.” But there’s always something to pick apart. I don’t think Romney realized just how insulting his “they’ll vote for me in the general” assertion was. There are certainly some that won’t, and he may find out that he is underestimating the size of the problem.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

There are people who think Romney can do no wrong? Really? Where? From what I’ve seen of the Romney supporters on here they are either people who admit he has flaws but overlook them, or moby trolls who are just trying to turn off Gingrich and Santorum supports from voting for Mitt in the general.

alchemist19 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

People who attack anyone who dares criticize Romney were out in force on the health care thread today. I was accused of being a plant for Obama, and basically told I should FOAD. And the asshats who are now claiming, based on this statement by Santorum, that he’s “endorsed Obama.”

People who distort things to that degree are not reasonable people. Those are the people I’m talking about.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

THIS former Perry supporter is now in the Mitt camp.
Let’s finish this thing and then bring the fight to Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

ditto, and this is a very sane comment among the pages of hysteria here.

chai on March 22, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Remind me again, what is a moby? or mobie?

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

THIS former Perry supporter is now in the Mitt camp. Let’s finish this thing and then bring the fight to Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Amen. I was all set to be a Perry supporter…until it turned out he couldn’t speak in complete sentences.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Then forget what I wrote earlier…you sure jump around a lot. I think Limbaugh had a word for that. It just escapes me at the moment.
Indecisive, that’s the word I was looking for.

What?

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

We must be reading different blogs

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

THIS former Perry supporter is now in the Mitt camp.
Let’s finish this thing and then bring the fight to Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Sad that we have to settle for our last pick 2 elections in a row, right? I am starting to get on board with this sentiment here. Mittens needs to start to spend his millions per primary state on zero’s record now. It is time to load it up and begin to throw zero’s record in his face.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I didn’t understand it before but now I get why so many on this site is for any one but Romney. It’s Romney’s religion. Not all but obviously many of you. You should vote for Santorum… or Obama.
Who needs you!

BobScuba on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

There are one or two people here ragging on Mormonism. How do you figure that adds up to “many of us.”

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

We must be reading different blogs

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Don’t think so.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Indecisive, that’s the word I was looking for.

What?

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

No, it was more a reluctance to settle for Mitt until we had to.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM

moby

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Did you have anything relevant to say, or is this just your daily “insult the HotAir commentators” visit?

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Yeah, I heard about this, and its sad and incredibly unfortunate. Not only is this a potential DNC ad during the general election, but it also makes it very difficult for Santorum to get future races off the ground, or for people to bring him on for positions elsewhere in the government.

I mean, let me put it to you this way. Hard feelings aside, there are going to be a lot of people that simply won’t be willing to trust the man after these remarks. He just made an argument, “FOR,” the the incumbent democratic president, during a competitive election in which our party has a decent chance of actually winning.

Regardless of whether or not he meant it as an attack on Romney, this demonstrates that he is VERY MUCH willing to break the unspoken ethical rules that govern conduct in presidential primaries.

Regardless of policy differences, candidates support the eventual nominee, even if only nominally. If Santorum cannot even do that, then it speaks very poorly of his judgement, and makes it extremely difficult to trust him in the future.

This sadly, hurts his future prospects badly. Kinda going to be hard to convince people to hire you on, or to support your campaign, when you have this sort of baggage around your neck.

WolvenOne on March 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

No, it was more a reluctance to settle for Mitt until we had to.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I don’t have to settle for shit. YMMV. I’m hanging fire on the ABO rage until the general. Until then, my primary vote will not be sold to the highest bidder.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

What happened to this place? Danish, what the heck?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’m sorry if that offends you. That’s the kindest thing I could say to her. I’ll be damned if I’m going to have some jerk who goes around calling people “nutballs” make unfounded accusations about me and my relationship with commenters I don’t know or associate with.

That being said, the level of commentary here has reached rock bottom, but I don’t put myself in that category. There are a bunch of childish punks running around, biting at my ankles, and I’d like nothing more than for them to find some Romper Room to play in rather than use this blog as their playground.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Thanks. I think the moby’s here are a bit better at it than the moby’s at some other sites I read. But I think the HotGas posters are a bit smarter than the average political website.

Now I do wish the Mittbotts will climb down from their cross and quit alienating those of us who are stuck voting for this guy because we want our country to survive an Obama regime. Just like Mitt needs to quit pounding his GOP opponents now and pound Obama.

IF Mitt can be trusted to really repeal Obamacare and NOT do a federal anything to replace it, AND seriously cut the budget AND pound Obama’s record in his face between now and November, I promise I won’t throw up when I vote for him. These 3 things are why I am SO reluctant that he could end up as our nominee.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Ok this has got be said. This place is getting a bit out of control. The constant infighting and bickering really has to stop. I’m evening starting to see people come out and say they aren’t even Republicans but have been out bashing our candidates. WTF is going on?

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

You and I both know you did. And you damned yourself to being a nutball with those same comments ya’ nutball.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

just the daily insult to the regular hacks on here… the last 2 open registrations tanked the value of discourse on hotgas… its devolved to name calling and cheap insults… very little value anymore to the conservative movement

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

My talking point for political forums tonight is:

Santorum just put himself in the toaster and pushed the button. :)

sablegsd on March 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Obama smiles in the oval office….

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I think I’m indecisive-but I can’t make up my mind about it.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Agreed, I am so hoping for a miracle, a deadlocked convention and a different candidate than any of these 4 stooges at this point. However, Santorum did not make it any easier for that to happen today. Dunno if Newt will rise up and be the Southern ABR or not, but dayum, this is just so disheartening.

I am sorry mittbots, I just don’t trust Romney. Period. He just doesn’t have the natural first impulse conservative solution to anything. And he appears to make decisions by committee and consensus, as all good MBAs are taught to do.

Sigh.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

WolvenOne on March 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Bingo.

He seems to be lost now in that politician fog, where all he is seeing are the adoring looks on his family’s faces onstage (which his campaign has plastered there) and all he hears are the worm-tongue voices of paid political advisers who blather nonstop nonsense. He’s lost any sense of perspective as he seeks The Precious.

And no, I can’t imagine anyone trusting a guy this weak-minded in their administration. Anywhere.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quite simple, Rick Santorum needs to drop out now. He is embarrassing himself at this point. He has little money, no ideas, and is now saying a dumb thing per speech.

Can the good people of Louisiana do the intelligent thing and vote for Romney to end this charade?

Time to give Romney several months to raise money without worrying about this primary so that come September, he could launch the assault needed to beat Obama, win the Senate and get as close to 60 as possible, and keep the House.

milcus on March 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

THIS former Perry supporter is now in the Mitt camp.
Let’s finish this thing and then bring the fight to Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I thought I read you saying you switched to Santorum after Perry dropped out.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

milcus on March 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM

The good people of Lousiana will vote for the more conservative candidate. The less time Romney has between now and the election, the less time he has to erase his conservative positions.

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Yes, and they make the honest, reasonable Romney supporters look bad in the process.

I will probably vote for Romney if he’s nominated. It’s just too horrible to imagine what Obama could do in four more years, although I think the “we’re doomed and it’s the end of our country if Obama is reelected” preaching is WAY over the top.

…but I do understand the frustration of people over the choice of candidates we have, and I don’t think people who say they can’t bring themselves to pull the lever for Romney should be bashed as Obama supporters and idiots and morons and on and on. I understand that they are unable to resign themselves to voting for someone that they believe could do more harm than good in the long run.

I really hope that if Romney gets elected he will be a good president, and work towards getting this country on track, but his record tells me otherwise, and Ann Coulter can screech all she wants about Massachusetts being the equivalent of North Korea. I’m just not convinced that is evidence that Mitt is any kind of a conservative.

The reason I’ve criticized Romney is because I want to make sure people know what they are getting. If he does turn out to be a spineless squish, then I agree with those on this thread who say he will set us back and pave the way for more Obamas to come. Time will tell. If Romney loses, it will be because of Romney, not a handful of people on a blog who refuse to vote for him.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Etch-a-Sketch is a b*tch.

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

If you people don’t get it together, we are going to lose this election.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM

the less time he has to erase his conservative positions.

So? He gets in the WH and then forgets and that’s somehow all better?

Sheesh. Maybe Rick was right after all.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Yep.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Ethnic or racial group?

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

And folks were wondering why Newt didn’t drop out…..

Sekhmet on March 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

If you people don’t get it together, we are going to lose this election.

It’s lost already. None of the GOP candidates can win and Mitt is hands down worse than Obama.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Welcome to my world.

Boo hoo.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Maybe Rick was right after all.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Even if Rick was right, the truth generally does no service to anyone running in the popularity contest that is a modern presidential race.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I thought I read you saying you switched to Santorum after Perry dropped out.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

She’s like fl Tigger, she bounces.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Great, now try to be honest and fluff Obama so you can erase any pretense that you are a Republican.

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hyperbole much?

troyriser_gopftw on March 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Mitt is hands down worse than Obama.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Most moronic statement in a thread full of moronic statements.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

gatorboy on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I dunno. I agree that it’s gone downhill since then, but I remember it being pretty bad here, in the ’08 primary season. Seems like the owners made a better effort to police the place then, though.

It’s not my site, though, so I don’t want to criticize too much.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Spot on about the “supporters” that are most boisterous about him around here. I am having trouble with the notion of having to vote for him in Nov. Seeing the kind of people he attracts in the comments section around here sure doesn’t help. I don’t really know many people in my life that care much about politics, so I don’t have anyone to talk with about it outside of here.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

This is unbelievable group-think!

Last night and moving into this morning, after Romney’s long-time associate makes the Freudian slip of a lifetime, all the Romney fans and certain talk show hosts kept explaining away what he said with the suggestion “it wasn’t really what he meant,” then took painstaking editorial liberties to explain to us little people what we really should have walked away with. Really? Even though this guy was answering a question specifically addressing whether or not Romney would move to the center or left to “capture the independents,” we’re supposed to ignore what he actually said and believe he really wouldn’t shift because “we’re just going to….” yeah, do what exactly? Yes, it did sort of confirm many of our suspicions about this candidate.

Santorum would have been smart to just let the Romney campaign twist in their self-inflicted windstorm, but he overshot the mark. So now what? Throw Santorum out like he’s an idiot? Where are all the conservatives telling us “what he really meant?” What a bunch of fair-weathered friends.

Well then, I reserve the right to do just that.

Seriously. Does anyone here really believe that Santorum doesn’t really think there’s a difference between Romney and Obama? Give me a break. Everybody remotely paying attention to what is happening in our country, including Santorum, knows there is a difference. He was drawing attention to the fact that Romney is Obama-lite and will have a hard time defending himself from the attacks from the left because he really hasn’t differentiated himself as clear conservative contrast. Sure. Go ahead. Try to change my mind. I’m listening. (Calling Santorum or any of us an “idiot” won’t count; sound arguments would be preferable.)

The way I see it, Romney is not much of a conservative, severely or otherwise. While Obama represents a direct and violent slash to our throats, Romney is death by a thousand cuts. Either way, we still bleed out. He wants to win, but I have serious doubts he will not try to fit in with the status quo once he’s in. I don’t think he will take it to Obama’s policies the way he’s attempted to take out his GOP rivals. We’ve all watched him shake the etchy sketchy, not even so long ago..from “keeping the best parts of Obamacare” to “I’m in favor of complete repeal;” from “I am a progressive,” to “I am severely conservative,” from “I believe strongly in a woman’s right to choose,” to “everybody knows I am pro life.” Like a feather in the wind.

And no matter what I do, I cannot overcome Romneycare. I just can’t I don’t want the Feds, OR ANY STATE, to force me into anything just because I exist. “So, Mr. Romney, do you think the government, any government, can coerce me to purchase a product I don’t want?” “Why yes, I think so. In my State we can coerce you with the full force of the law because that just so happens to be a right of a State.” Okay.

And if anyone thinks for one second he isn’t going to get killed on this issue, further confirming there is not a sufficient contrast between his policies and Obama’s, well then, there’s a lot of dreaming going on. Did you hear Obama start on that just today? Yeah, that’s about to get a heck of a lot uglier. Santorum is the only one that has fought hard to keep this issue rightly and squarely on the table.

I can go on and on.

I’m not convicted 100 percent in favor of Santorum either at this stage and he has some problems that I’m not a big fan of, but I do trust his conviction and I have no doubt that every single day he will fight hard for our country. I also believe when he moves to the right he will stay there, as evidenced by some recent acknowledgements wherein he believes he should have made a different decision. That takes courage and character, and I have heard Romney do nothing but change positions and then wonder why we still remember the past.

I can say without a doubt I will struggle to pull the lever for Romney. Can I see the difference between him and Obama? Of course I can, but I’m not going to accept it until I have absolutely no other choice and he is the ONLY thing standing between me and Obama…and that ain’t today! It’s more than annoying when everybody tries to shut down this contest before all of the people, all the states, have had their say; when everybody tells some of us to sit down and shut up and get behind Romney as the “people’s choice,” like the establishment is doing right now. Wasn’t so long ago we were telling the world we didn’t like to be controlled by Obama and his cronies, NOR by the GOP establishment.

The truth is, both candidates misspoke, but nothing else is different about them between the day-before-yesterday and today. Before this is all over one or all of them will commit other all-too-human gaffes, but who they are is still pretty apparent for those of us who are looking, and we can’t afford to get it wrong this time.

In the end, for me nothing has changed about either one. Romney still does not strike me as a person of conviction, from his soul and I think he will still change with the wind. Anne Coulter asks what difference it makes if he has ended up further to the right. My problem with that thinking is I don’t think he has “ended up” yet.

Unrepentant Teapartyist on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Actually, I voted for Palin in 2008. Technically, I voted for McCain, but I knew that in my heart I was hoping he’d have a heart attack.

Stoic Patriot on March 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Wishing a heart attack on a man who went through hell serving his country. He’s far from my favorite person but wishing that on another human being is beyond the pale. Stay classy.

Minnfidel on March 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Yay, a dictionary. Would you say voting for Obama is stupid?

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I thought I read you saying you switched to Santorum after Perry dropped out.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I had-but this game’s got to end. The more Santorum opens his mouth-lately-the less appealing he is.
Honestly-I don’t like ANY of those that are left- but Mitt has the best chance of besting Zero.
It;s time to finish this and start going after Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Can Rick use the Etch-a-Sketch as a teleprompter? That would ensure a short speech that was on message. He’d have to get an aide to hold it so it doesn’t get shaken.

I hope Ohio Art makes a zillion dollars off of this stupid episode, btw. If anything good comes from this, I hope it promotes capitalism and profit in a state that needs it.

You know who this helps…

Philly on March 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Exactly. I had considered Santorum because I really, really didn’t like Romney but this comment closes the door on him. I’m ready to support Romney all the way to election day. Santorum will never get my vote.

yongoro on March 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I agree with chai.

tngmv on March 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You and I both know you did.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Prove it, child.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It;s time to finish this and start going after Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Sorry, but I can’t get on board with that. My state’s primary isn’t until June and the idea of actually mattering for a change is rather appealing to me this time out. ;-)

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Mitt is hands down worse than Obama.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Most moronic statement in a thread full of moronic statements.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 P

‘Moronic statements’ are becoming the norm ’round here.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Santorum has convinced me. I’m voting for Obama.

lol

gerry-mittbot

gerrym51 on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Mitt is hands down worse than Obama.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Beclown yourself much?

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Just like your name sake……Unprincipled vindictive little man, typical fat bully, make sure you vote for Obama!

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Santorum has just shown his true colors as more of a European style Christian Socialist than anything else — which makes his preference for socialist Obama understandable, if not palatable.

Santorum is not an American conservative – he is hostile to all of the traditions of individual liberty and small government of our Founders and far closer the the 19th century popes who condemned the “American heresy” of individual liberty and capitalism. He displays an authoritarian cast of mind and a penchant for big government.

He has well and truly jumped the shark and put himself outside of the mainstream of American conservatism with his remarks today.

How any Tea Party supporter could even consider Santorum is beyond me.

CatoRenasci on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It;s time to finish this and start going after Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Oh ok – forgive the ignorance, but I read comments in fits and spurts. I’ll read for a month or so and then go a couple months without letting my eyes go past the bottom of the articles, so I miss stuff a lot of times.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I’m not in the camp that believes this is already lost. But it can be lost, and will be, if this retarded infighting doesn’t end. And no, Romney is not worse then Obama.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I simply want Mitt to enter the election day with the most Conservative positions possible.

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

‘Moronic statements’ are becoming the norm ’round here.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

HotGas hardest hit? I wonder how many witnesses to this 1,200 insult thread are gone for good.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ours is at the end of May.
Go Cruz!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Ethnic or racial group?

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 10:31 PM

For example…Ethnic or racial group…

…in this case it’s southerners, as a group. Maybe you’d prefer “stereotype?” But I don’t think that fits.

Back to Merriam-Webster:

: something conforming to a fixed or general pattern; especially : a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment

Rather than bigot, how about nasty, hateful, arrogant, prejudiced a-holes? Does that work?

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’m not reading all these comments cause I can just imagine all the lovely things ya’ll are saying to each other.

All I want to know is if there is any cure for this foot-in-mouth disease that our candidates have obviously come down with?

dmn1972 on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Now it will be over more quickly.

Thanks, Rick!

Please keep talking.

EddieC on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I tend to ramble-so it’s easy to be confused by me-not snarking.
*grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Prove it, child.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You would have to prove yourself worthy. For now, you, like the other nutballs, are just my version of a cat toy. Speaeking of cat toy, what happened to your other nutball comrade, whatasillycattoy…

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

This only proves what a miserable human being Santorum has become, I couldn’t imagine this sentiment coming from Romney if the shoe was on the other foot. In fact 4 years ago we can see the class Romney displayed.

Tater Salad on March 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

My feelings, too. I didn’t want Romney at the start but once Perry blew up, there really wasn’t anyone left. That’s when I decided I had to get on board with Romney and get all the way on. I still didn’t give him any money, until last week. I had been holding off on giving any of the candidates any of my hard-earned.

But I will say, the more research I did on Romney, the more I like him. Once you stop listening what the “nincompoops in their underwear” are saying and start digging in, he really doesn’t look bad, in my opinion.

crosspatch on March 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Putting aside positions and politics — are you really stupid enough to lash yourself to a candidate who started his campaign by going on a two week cruise with his third wife? Until Newt I would have sworn that Joe Biden and John Edwards were the two stupidest politicians in modern history.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Yeah, when this primary season is over or they actually start moderating this place, it will be a much nicer place to visit.

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Romney strikes me as an Obama Democrat that’s masquerading as a reformed liberal.

There’s little difference between the Obama and Romney if you throw out his “conservative conversion” that took place in 2007 and look at how he governed. This is why I think he would a worse President than Obama – i.e. Obama policies would largely continue and he would destroy what’s little left of conservatism in the process.

Mitt is not even close to a conservative.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I hear ya. However, I am not ready to get in line behind Romney. I certainly have learned my lesson to not take my cues from internet pundits or blogs–especially after HotAir, Drudge and other blogs had Santorum completely losing Alabama and Mississippi. I think folks put too much into what they read on the internet and blogs and shape their opinion by them. Whereas, I’m sure you’ll agree that most of the people in our lives do not pay any attention to politics on the internet. Just don’t let the internet pundits and bullies mentally beat you down. Your safest bet is to always go with your instincts.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Who needs you!

BobScuba on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I came into this very late and was reading recent posts misstating the history of the Mormon church, Joseph Smith was lynched… he was shot in his jail cell… half truths and bigoted statements. Some of it the kind of thing… I won’t go there. I guess if I see a “few people” on a thread making misstatements about anyone’s religion; and I would feel the same way if it were anti catholic or anti semitic, or anti evangelical . I just don’t like this from our side. I see it regularly on various posts regarding Romney. It’s not conservative, it’s not Republican and it’s not what this country was founded on. Mormons love this country. They will and always have fought and died for it. The whole nickname of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints came from detractors calling members of the Mormon Church after one of their scriptures. The church has enbrassed the name so it’s fine to use Mormon as the church name shorthand, Mormons believe the founders were inspired by God and the Constitution is a holy document guaranteeing the freedom of religion to everyone. I’m not saying everyone in the Mormon Church is a saint, I’m just saying they love their country or they are not “living” their religion. I was wrong to pain with so broad a brush. I feel it’s important for everyone’s religion to defeat O. He has shown he is no respecter of any religion. Goodnight.

BobScuba on March 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Bmore
please settle these ppl down before any of them come to the QOTD thread.
;-)

angrymike on March 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I’m getting close. I know I don’t post much. Mostly because of threads like this. But I needed to say what I did to try and get a little perspective in here. Not saying others haven’t though.

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Good grief! Time for Rick to give it up and drop out. He is a real azz.

Mirimichi on March 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Can we be anymore self- righteous? I thought that was a quality exclusively reserved for us ” mittards” ?

FlaMurph on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Kelligan on March 22, 2012 at 10:41 It’s gotten bad over the last few years.
I try to play nice-but sometimes I show my fangs.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Welcome to my world.

Boo hoo.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM

What the hell are you talking about? Did I say you are someone’s “acquaintance” or “ally”? Like Bmore and her comrade Cozmo did?

BTW, you’re complaints about the tone here is hilarious. You are hardly ms. sweetness and light. Which you just proved…

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Are you quick to judge! NEW-topia not NEWT-opia.

I’m not on board with any candidate but I do favor ABR then ABO.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

You two have made some pretty powerful arguments for Santorum in past threads, and you both seem like reasonable people. Are you really ok with Santorum supporting Obama over Romney? Because it really seems to validate the argument that he is not running to defeat O, but to defeat R…..

Priscilla on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Works for me, but saying santorum supporters are dumb is not
bigoted. I would much rather have you call me the names you just did than bigot.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That’s alot of “ifs.” That is the problem I still have with Romney.

I don’t think Romney will even repeal Obamacare; I think he will just nip around the edges and if by some miracle he does repeal it, he will certainly replace it with some federal thing.

He will not actually SERIOUSLY cut the budget any more than all the past Republican RINOS and squishes have done anything about spending in Congress these many decades.

And Romney has already indicated several times that he won’t be fighting Obama by playing the hardball that needs to be played, any more than McCain did. Plus voters will find him boring and too Wall St in an anti-Wall St. year and he is just not likable.

I think the only reason Romney has any chance of getting elected is if the electorate dislikes Obama even more and stays that way until November. But with Obama’s money and the press, I don’t trust the electorate and I don’t want to take any chances.

I am not confident Romney can win. And we can’t take any chances this year. Sure, I will swallow hard and vote for him. I will even put his bumper sticker on my car. My question is will the Independents and Reagan Dems like him enough over Obama to vote for him and will enough Christians and our base voters turn out for Romney.

I’m not there yet by a long shot. I say Santorum (and maybe even Newt, but probably not) should stay in.

This sums up why:

Brokered Convention! How much worse could it be????? Maybe we would get lucky!!
lisa fox on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I couldn’t agree more. I can think of several Republicans who would be as bad a candidate as Romney, but I can’t think of any who would be worse.

And we could get lucky and get someone better. No matter when Republicans unite with our nominee, now or in August, the press and Obama will attack.

This keeps the Dems off their game for now and keeps the national subject on how bad Obama is, with all our candidates criticizing him as if it is an indisputable fact that Obama is a disaster. That sinks in with the electorate. Obama can’t really start his campaign until we decide our nominee.

And even if we don’t have a nominee until August, 2 months is a lifetime in politics. There will be enough Republican and Independent hate of Obama to rally the troops even at the last minute. After a week of licking our wounds, we will unite in enough time.

Still to early for me to get behind Romney. I am hoping for something more. Probably won’t happen, but until the fat lady sings, there is still a chance.

Especially this election cycle year when we’ve seen so many crazy things happen.

Elisa on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Jesse on March 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ron Paul supporters, along with whole platoons of conspiratorial Prison Planet rejects and a few Stormfront neo-nazis with a desire to spread the good news about Hitler and the bad news about the Jooos, came pouring through the gates on the last two open registrations. There’s also been an influx of sleeper Dem moby trolls who typically let their accounts stay dormant until just prior to the general election campaign. Then there are those members of the Conservative Purity Brigade for whom no GOP candidate is good enough or right enough to earn their vote. Most of the latter are sincere but I figure some of them are probably Dem trolls since they’re constantly attempting to persuade others not to vote, as well.

None of those I mentioned are Republicans, so they’re influence and effect on Republican primaries ranges from negligible to pernicious.

troyriser_gopftw on March 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Like Bmore and her comrade Cozmo did?

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Minion honey, minion.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Goodbye Rick, don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Tater Salad on March 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Igor R. on March 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM

He will…..sorry for the abuse, this has been a very strange day.

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Unrepentant Teapartyist on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Nice impassioned essay, even if I don’t agree. Ann Coulter spells her name without an E, BTW.

thebrokenrattle on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I’m not on board with any candidate but I do favor ABR then ABO.

newtopia on March 22, 2012 at 10:44 PM

If you think Romney would be worse than Obama, how could you be ABR and then ABO if Romney gets the nomination?

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I guess some of you may not have noticed that WE HAVE A FAR- LEFT RADICAL, ALINSKY LOVING MARXIST IN THE WHITE HOUSE WHO WANTS TO FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORM AMERICA.

redridinghood on March 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM