Santorum: Maybe America’s better off with Obama than taking a risk on an “Etch-a-Sketch” candidate

posted at 5:50 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

Faced with the reality that his chances have collapsed, the Sweater Vest begins to unravel:

“You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who’s just going to be a little different than the person in there. If you’re going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future,” Santorum told a crowd at USAA.

During a press avail following the event, Santorum, who carried the Etch A Sketch during his speech, argued that Romney knows he can’t win in the general election.

“All the things that allow Romney to win the primary are unavailable to him to win the general and that’s why you see these Etch A Sketch comments because he knows he can’t win,” said Santorum.

Romney issued a statement later saying he’s “disappointed to hear that Rick Santorum would rather have Barack Obama as president than a Republican.” Question for Team RS: What “risk” is there, exactly, that President Etch-a-Sketch would be worse than Obama? Even if his political instincts carry him towards the center, he knows he can’t stray too far from the base on big-ticket items like, oh, say, Supreme Court appointments. That’s a big difference, not a little difference, and a pro-life advocate as passionate as Santorum surely knows it. I’m no Romney fan, yet the only argument I can come up with in which The One is possibly maybe supposedly conceivably theoretically preferable to Romney is some sort of “only Nixon can go to China” reasoning. Only a Republican like Nixon could make nice with Mao because a Democrat would have been accused by the right of harboring secret communist sympathies. Nixon’s party ID immunized him from that; by the same token, you could argue that if an attack on Iran is inevitable it’s better that Obama gives the order than Romney because the anti-war left will roll over like puppies for him (again). You could, if you’re really daring, even argue that only a Democratic president can sign entitlement reform because partisan loyalty will help defang some of its many, many, many, many liberal opponents. I don’t buy the latter argument, though — I think it’s one of the few policy areas in which the left will be ferocious even in opposing a Democratic president, if not quite as ferocious as they’d be towards a Republican. (That’s one reason Obama hasn’t been aggressive about it despite his campaign promises about entitlements.) And as for Iran, are you willing to purchase relative liberal silence on an attack at the high price of trillions more in debt and a few new stridently liberal SCOTUS justices? I’ll pass.

I’m actually amazed he’s making this argument given the hard feelings it’ll engender among Republicans who’ll soon be rallying around Romney in an “anybody but Obama” fervor. Santorum’s sunk this time but he’s raised his profile significantly for 2016. Time to start thinking ahead strategically instead of letting bitterness run away with that yapper of his. Exit quotation from Byron York: “Asked what other plans Santorum had to call attention to the [Etch-a-Sketch] matter, [Santorum spokesman Alice] Stewart said, ‘Lots.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11 12 13 17

I think it originally came from a Paulbot by the way.
V7_Sport on March 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

That fits.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

A flip-flopping, etch a sketch (snip)

TeaPartyNation on March 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Ohio Art, makers of Etch a Sketch are going to make a killing this year. Their stock doubled today. Viva la capitalism! :-) Could Yo Yo’s be next…

LazyHips on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

No, I agree GOPRNF is a good guy. It was just him saying he thought they were mobies. You know how long they’ve been shilling for him.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I know we disagree on this point, hawkdriver, but I honestly do think they’re mobies. I’ve been following their posts for some time and it’s never just to promote Romney. It always seems as if they promote Romney by being hateful with respect to other candidates or anyone that criticizes Romney. You would think, at this point anyway, with it looking increasingly likely that Romney will be the nominee, they would reach out and strive for unity. Instead, they continue to be nasty. Despite Santorum’s idiotic comment today, I think he’s a good, decent man and I would have no problem voting for him over Obama if he were to get the nomination. In fact, I would do whatever I could to get him elected.

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Brokered Convention! How much worse could it be????? Maybe we would get lucky!!

lisa fox on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Bishop/Palin 2012

You saw it here first.

Bruno Strozek on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Indeed, they do. Do you know what was legal until 1976?

To assassinate innocent Mormon men, women and children in Missouri.

Missouri Executive Order 44: “the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for the public peace…”

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hey hawk, this is what religious bigotry does when mixed with politics.

THIS is why the founders wanted a separation of church and state.

I now remember hearing about this law once a long time ago when I still believed (was deceived).

SauerKraut537 on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Has he become so obsessed with sticking it to Romney that he’s now actually suggesting voting for Obama? And he calls himself a Republican? Portrays himself as someone who cares about the future direction of this country?

Rick only cares about Rick, just as Newt only cares about Newt. And both of them look like clowns waving those Etch-A-Sketches around.

Meredith on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

They’ve both become obsessed with sticking it to Romney, imo. Especially Newt…that’s his only reason for staying in the race. Beating Obama is secondary.

changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

1836: In March, Elijah Abel, a black man, is ordained to the office of Elder.
1836: In December, Elijah Abel, is ordained to the office of Seventy.
1844: Walker Lewis, a black man, is ordained to the office of Elder.
1846: William McCary, a black man, is ordained to the office of Elder.
1900: Enoch Abel, the son of Elijah Abel, is ordained to the office of Elder.
1935: Elijah Abel, grandson of Elijah Abel, is ordained to the office of Elder.
1958: All black Melanesians (Fijians) are given the priesthood (blacks in the Philippines even earlier)
1978: Revelation on Priesthood gives the priesthood to all worthy men regardless of color.

Being in the council of Seventy is a pretty high position in the Mormon church.

But sure, IN THE PAST there was some discrimination against blacks in SOME areas among SOME congregations. That does not continue TODAY so what is the excuse people have TODAY for discriminating against Mormons?

crosspatch on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

BTW, I’m not fond of the word “nutballs”. Should I demand you be formally reprimanded?

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I don’t care. Until very recently you were one.

You associate, and defend, the likes of blue gills and chupi. They are your allies. Just like you bashed Perry for associating with evangelicals.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Just to clarify, Fernstrohm (sp.? ) is not some temporary PR guy. He is a longtime aide to Romney going all the way back to 2002. He worked for Romney when he was Governor of Massachusetts. In short, he knows Romney VERY WELL. The mask slipped on the Romney campaign yesterday that’s for sure. KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Comparing Eric Fehrnstrom’s reset button comment with Santorum saying we may as well re-elect Obama as elect Romney puts you in the jannymae class.

Basilsbest on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Unlinking now.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I feel bad, I didn’t mean to impugn your integrity, it is however a BS piece of propaganda.

V7_Sport on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Well, there are actually videos out there of him making comments all the way up to 2006. I came across that one and posted it comments and asked about it. If you post too many links they don’t go through. I just linked to my name and asked. I really don’t understand where he stands on the issue.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

1000th

Noticed we were getting set to hit 1000. Couldn’t resist. My favorite of the week at the expense of Rmoney.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You’re funny. Remind me to never debate you.

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM
You’re funny and wise.

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Oh my. I do find Buy Danish’s remarks worthy of reading and this was a nice compliment to him/her.

Seriously, Buy Danish – got arrogance?

salem on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hey hawk, this is what religious bigotry does when mixed with politics.

THIS is why the founders wanted a separation of church and state.

SauerKraut537 on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Why are you telling me? Am I a religious bigot now too?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Did we get to 1,000 posts yet…?

(munch… munch… munch…)

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Well, then tell me why the South is supporting him

Religious bigotry, mostly. Many folks in that part of the country won’t vote for a Mormon as long as there is a non-Mormon alternative. It’s pretty much as simple as that. He did better in Florida because a large number of Floridians aren’t originally from there. Florida is where New York goes to die.

crosspatch on March 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

The “progressive Republican” Romney got 30% support in Mississippi in a 3-way race. Religious bigotry is an excuse. If Romney had been a Baptist, he would have done no better.

On the other hand, Romney cleans up on the order of 90 – 95% support among Mormons, which strongly suggests that many Mormons vote based on their religious identification with a candidate. So how can they criticize others for doing the same?

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Then angryed is a moby too. There’s no way anyone can hate Romney that much.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Ugh. Rick needs a teleprompter.

Philly on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I really don’t understand where he stands on the issue.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

He says he’s changed his mind and is pro-life. Lets hope it sticks.

‘Night all.

V7_Sport on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hahaha, probably the best reason to vote for him yet, because I said his supporters are stupid. Please do vote for him, you could be the game-changer. And if you are hunting me down, please deliver my mail. Until then, I’ll just cuddle up and cry on my masters degree.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Sourpuss.

Danny on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I asked them that months ago. Not even buydanishstuff would cut back on her bashing the other candidates. That’s why I didn’t disagree when you suggested they were dem plants.

They are either plants, or lead such miserable lives that hatred is all they have.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

No matter the nominee, anyone who sits this out is as guilty as any Think Progress cult member.

maninthemiddle on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Amen. Your observation that Barry gets at least two more Supreme Ct picks in the next four years is well taken.

FireBlogger on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Unlinking now.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

V7_Sport on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Why would you feel bad? That’s why I originally linked to it.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Basilsbest on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You can try and divert attention to the mask slippage in the Romney campaign all you want, but the reason it was big news is because we all know it is true and now it has been outed.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I didn’t know. I asked folks for an entire evening if it was and no one responded. I forgot my name was linked to it. Then it is a fake? And how does that make me dishonest?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Speechless….

If you ever come across something that seems so far outside the bounds of common sense (like a Republican candidate running an ad taking a Democrat position) your first reaction should be “This probably isn’t true,” and stick with that until you’ve made absolutely sure that it is. Sometimes you will find out that it is legit and as bad as it looks, as with the Jeremiah Wright tapes, and sometimes you find out someone is trying to hoodwink you like whoever made the video you link to.

alchemist19 on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I’m with ya, cozmo. I’m a Romney guy and even I think bluegill, jailbreak, chudi,and petunia are mobies.

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I don’t think Petunia’s a moby, just stupid.

shaloma on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Great point, but is it wrong if evengelicals, or catholics, or Mormons vote for who they identify with? I don’t think so.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Behold the gateway to bizarro world!…when AP was rooting for Romney over McCain including promoting links that drew parallels to Romney 2008 and Reagan 1976!

The thread is Romney’s farewell thread 2008(and is only 3 pages!…the place sure has grown.)

See if you can recognize some of the commenters…

Note to Santorum: This is what you should have done ya shmuck.

Zybalto on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Santorum is toast, now and forever as a Republican. He’s into Pat Buchanan land. Don’t even let him speak at the convention.

CatoRenasci on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Then angryed is a moby too. There’s no way anyone can hate Romney that much.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Ha! It’s very possible, but I would say it’s slightly different. He sees Romney, whom he despises, on the verge of getting the nomination so he’s trying to go down swinging. Desperate times call for desperate measures as they say. However, I do agree that the degree of hatred he exhibits for Romney is unsettling and unusual. These alleged Romney supporters continue to be hateful even though their man is about to get the nomination so their anger seems especially inexplicable.

GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Danish, I didn’t believe or not believe. I asked an entire evening. This isn’t a tool to proof your point about something as obvious to me as those two mens comments.

I have commented with you for a long time. I have never once questioned your intellect or honestly. Are you quite serious your last comment is really how you feel?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Hawk, I’m not questioning your honesty or intellect. Honest and brilliant people can be gullible. Let’s just say skepticism was called for. It makes zero sense for Romney to have an ad like that. It makes zero sense for Eric F. to make a statement like that. Political opportunists will pounce on it and make fun of it and joke about it, but that’s not the same thing as actually believing he intended to say Romney would move to the Left and abandon conservatives. It’s absurd on its face. Think about it. Why would he say that? This wasn’t a secret, off the record comment. Even if it were true (which it isn’t!) why would he say it? To appease the “HOST” who was a lefty “political comedian”? Why? To try to get the comedian to like him? It’s nonsensical…

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

alchemist19 on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Knock it off. You guys have mountainers posting pieced together and fabricated half truth spam every day and just applaud the heck out of his stuff. I’m speechless at your hypocrisy.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Well then, that takes the cake. He obviously has no intention of being POTUS and most likely he never intended to be POTUS from the start given all the claptrap his cake hole has been spewing all along.

I’d rather see Barack Obama be reelected than Rick Santorum be elected POTUS… that’s for dam*ed sure.

As if this pink-belly religious zealot had a chance in the first place, but now Rick Santorum is just dead to me. He barely registered a pulse anyway, but now he is just plain d.e.a.d.

SD Tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Go back to PA, Rick.
Mitt/somebody 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

This is extremely damaging to the GOP brand when people post stuff like this.

It’s not bs. It’s true. You know you’re over the target when you start taking flak.

My job isn’t being loyal to the GOP brand–that’s something that Erik Fernstrom and Karl Rove worry about. I don’t.

You Willard supporters are about to nominate a country-club Republican with a net worth of a billion dollars! And he’s as stiff as a fence post!

You listen to Willard speak for 2 minutes and you say to yourself, “Where’s the ventriloquist?”

The only troubling part about the Mormons is that they are so insular and defensive. That’s why some compare them to the Borg from Star Trek.

Of course you know–and you may try to make people forget–that Ann Romney was not a Mormon before she met Willard. She converted to Mormonism. But Ann’s parents did not. And since they weren’t Mormons, they were not allowed to attend their daughter’s wedding. Yow!

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Indeed, they do. Do you know what was legal until 1976?

To assassinate innocent Mormon men, women and children in Missouri.

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hey hawk, this is what religious bigotry does when mixed with politics.

THIS is why the founders wanted a separation of church and state.

SauerKraut537 on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

There’s a little whitewashing going on here. While the Mormon church would certainly like to claim that it was just religiously motivated persecution, the fact is that there was a lot of bad behavior on the Mormon side. The governor at one point felt obliged to call out the Guard in order to maintain order. And while Joseph Smith was wrongfully lynched in a jail in Nauvoo, Illinois, he was rightfully in jail for burning a printing press belonging to a newspaper which had been critical of him.

It’s easy to assume that our ancestors were just not as enlightened as we are, and maybe it strokes our ego a little bit to look at them and say, “We would never have done that,” but the history is a lot more complicated.

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Seriously, Buy Danish – got arrogance?

salem on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Lighten up. It was a joke. Do you think it’s arrogant when people say things like, “Great minds think alike”?

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I married a Mormon and I have family and friends in the Southeast and believe me, I know how that works and I heard it all.

In the rest of the country they don’t have that phobia. That’s why Mitt does better in the upper Midwest and the West. Anywhere you have a lot of “evangelicals” you are going to have a lot of anti-Mormon discrimination.

crosspatch on March 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Hmmm, why don’t you, I don’t know…ASK a Southerner?

I’m more than happy to answer you on this issue.

You see, it has exactly Jack and Shyte to do with what church Romney attends, y’all. Southerners go ABR for two big reasons:

1) We liked that Alaskan lady. We liked her a lot. And we saw all those supposed conservatives joining the liberals in the pile-on–AND TO A MAN, THEY HAVE TURNED INTO ROMNEY SUPPORTERS. They came out of the closet the moment Sarah said no. Ain’t that cute?

2) The polls bear this out, y’all: Yankees who call themselves “very conservative” when the pollsters ask would be considered the candyassedest candyassed RINOs south of the Mason-Dixon line. Y’all cain’t he’p it. Your neighbors are liberals, your coworkers are liberals, and Republicans can only find each other using complex hanky code up North, there. You live in a state of learned helplessness, as you will likely never see conservatism in action on a local or state level.

When we go on about Romney being “severely conservative,” it’s a JOKE, son. Maybe by Massachusetts standards, Romney is some kind of arch-conservative. But down here, he’d be sitting on the Dallas City Council and hanging with John Wiley Price.

Now climb off the cross, because the rest of us need the wood.

Sekhmet on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

The weeping and gnashing of teeth over supreme court picks is misguided, since the supreme court doesn’t have the constitutional authority to decide what is constitutional.

/KABOOM

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’ll tell you who the bigots were. It was the Mormon church, which refused to install non-white Mormons as priests as late as 1978. That’s what bigotry is. The racist Mormon church knows what bigotry is.

George W. Bush caught hell for accepting the endorsement of a figure affiliated with Bob Jones University, an historically racist college in Greenville, SC, which barred black men from attnending as late as the 1970s. Black women were OK to attend–Bob Jones just didn’t want black men mixing with the white women. In the 1970s, as racist as the Mormon church.

For shame, Mormons. And baptizing the dead? For shame, too.

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I’ve noticed a lot of your comments in the past have been about Romney’s mormonism which suggest that you specifically (not to include everybody who is against Romney) hate him based on his religion,

I am just curious what religion you consider yourself to bee, since i am pretty sure your religion has a worse history regarding how they treated people who disagreed with their religious beliefs

Stop with this frikken religious nonsense,

OrthodoxJew on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Better calm down now fella, she’ll put one of these on ya, jackass! and ruin you whole day. You’ll be sucking your thumb in the fetal position somewhere in a corner. All crest fallen and such. She’s tough dotcha know?

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Lovely, hide behind your perceived superiority of education and make ignorant statements about people. That’s working really well for Obama.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Bye.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I just disagree. I’m not gullible and I won’t infer something like that your way because you believe differently from me. Won’t do it.

I’d have to ask you the same questions about why in reference to Rick Santorum. You honestly believe he’d want President Obama over Mitt Romney?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Knock it off already.

changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Ha! It’s very possible, but I would say it’s slightly different.
GOPRanknFile on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No, he’s a moby, I’m sure.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Rick, I have supported you for the last few months since Michelle Bachmann dropped out of the race because I thought you represented conservatism more than the remaining candidates. No one, I repeat no one is worse than Barack Obama, and for you to say he is better than Mitt Romney proves to me you don’t honestly think of him as a threat to our republic. With this statement, you have lost all credibility. Good riddance.

theaddora on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Thank you. No one is worse than Barack Obama. It is heartbreaking that the second most likely Republican nominee would say such a thing, even as campaign hyperbole. Let’s pick the nominee and start fighting the real enemy-Obama!

talkingpoints on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Go back to PA, Rick.
Mitt/somebody 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

A-ha, the jetboy scenario. I thought about that myself.

And I may have to upgrade Lubbock a smidgeon…

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

GFY. That is a damnable lie. Ask them if I “defend” them. As for your Perry remark, I defended Perry more than I criticized him. I criticized the bigoted Pastor Jeffress but I didn’t blame that on Perry (even though he was at fault for not checking into him before letting him introduce him at the Values Voter Summit).

BTW, did YOU criticize the bigoted pastor for his remarks about Romney? Hmmmmmmm?

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Knock it off already.

changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

That was bad?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I hope Karen Santorum runs off with Larry King. Nevermind, too young.

jan3 on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Not wrong, but hypocritical if you do it but complain when others do it.

In fact, the bad thing is not that some individuals do it, but that 90-95% of Mormons did it in Arizona and Nevada, both in 2008 and 2012. That suggests a very insular attitude.

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Satan speaketh

tomas on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

No whitewashing. It is a fact that Mormons are the only Americans that have ever been the subject of a legal extermination order. Period. Story. End of.

There was no due process afforded to any Mormon under the EO. There was no distinction made between those that had been indicted or convicted and those that were innocent.

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

tom on March 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, it has a lot to do with why I don’t consider myself a Republican. I just don’t buy into the common suggestion that he would be considered a moderate today. No one explained the shining city on the hill and what it took to keep the dream alive like Reagan.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Knock it off already.
changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You can dish it out, baby, but you can’t take it. Next time you get the urge to yell “bigot” in a crowded thread, try to control yourself.

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Let’s get rid of Obama, who is using the constitution for toilet paper, in favor of someone who is merely ignorant of the constitution and will ignore its plain language.

/rombots

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

cozmo, I was wrong, she gave you the standard retort. GFY. She must like you.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Now he tells us.

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I am just curious what religion you consider yourself to bee,
OrthodoxJew on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

That particular nutball belongs to the church of birtherism.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

OH NO HE DIDN’T!! I just got home and logged on for the first time today. Any one of them is better than Obama, what is he saying?

shar61 on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

I hope Karen Santorum runs off with Larry King. Nevermind, too young.

jan3 on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM

GFY.
Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

What happened to this place? Danish, what the heck?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Now he tells us.

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

In fairness to the would-be constitutional scholars of the great failed experiment known as “America,” there are also explicit issues of original jurisdiction in the constitution which the Supreme Court has not exercised ever since Marbury v. Madison, either. But I digress…

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

talkingpoints on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Yeah it’s time to bring this whole sorry embarrassing primary to an end. Good riddance.

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Awww Newt–hang in there.

dragondrop on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Curious to learn what the Romney skeptics think of DeMint’s endorsement today. DeMint another RINO now?

Here is what DeMint understands. Romney can win the general, has tremendous crossover appeal, can help elect a GOP senate, no gender gap, runs extremely strong w seniors, can run against DC, no congressional voting record to dissect and distort, will play on Blue turf (thereby draining Obama cash), excellent debater, grass roots network in place in every state, and can essentially match Obama dollar for dollar.

If people would stop being so myopic, they would understand that Romney is one of the most politically attractive candidates nominated by either party since Reagan.

As to Romney’s actions as president, you dance w those who brunga ya in this business. Based on fiscal policy, foreign policy, and judicial appointments alone, Romney is light years preferrable to Obama.

Special bonus for the skeptics: Judge Robert Bork is heading Romney’s judicial selection panel.

matthew8787 on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Now climb off the cross, because the rest of us need the wood.

Sekhmet on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I could care less what the south thinks of the north, I do know one thing that we in the north when we do elect a moderate but conservative on fiscal issues like Rudy, and Christie we actually get results done, and they manage to bring fiscal sanity to the place where they govern,

However way too much times you in the south elect people like Huckabee & Co who are social conservative preachers but fiscally they are the same as democrats,

Fact is if you look at all the earmarks requested by Senators you will notice that the idiot moderates Like McCain don’t get that much earmarks as the likes of Shelby, Sessions etc..

So please cut the crap, we both know the south states are not in better fiscal shape then the north states, why?? It is because you are big government spenders just like us, you just want to spend it for the “right places” or something

OrthodoxJew on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

cozmo, I was wrong, she gave you the standard retort. GFY. She must like you.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Meh, I’ll always remember her for her being a nutball. She got better at debating her points for a little while then fell off the ignorance cliff.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

you specifically hate [Willard] based on his religion

No, no, not at all–but I think evangelical Christians will think twice before voting for a Mormon.

In a recent Gallup survey, 21% of respondents nationally said they would never vote for a Mormon, while 6% said they wouldn’t vote for a Jew.

I’m also appalled by the tenor of the comments by many of the obviously Mormon commenters on the Willard threads, as if they were on a mission trying to convert those stubborn Christians to LDS. Talking to them is like reasoning with junior high school kids. Often, it is.

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

That’s not bigotry.

Rusty Allen on March 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Sure it is. From Merriam-Webster online:

Definition of BIGOT
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

What word would you prefer to use?

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Hopefully he’s not clueless enough to actually believe there’s no difference between them, but he clearly wants to convince voters there’s virtually no difference between them, that it’s “riskier” to vote for Romney than stick with the Marxist. That is despicable coming from a Republican candidate (and entirely different from what happened with Eric F).

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

…says the bigot.

changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You honestly believe he’d want President Obama over Mitt Romney?

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

He said “if” the candidates are equal, which they’re not…
That’s about all I can say for him.

Ronnie on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

matthew8787 on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

That’s old news. Their respective endorsements may not necessarily make Bork or DeMint Rinos, but neither does it make Romney a constitutional conservative. What Romney did as governor of Mass-uh-chew-sits and what he has said on the campaign trail in the service of insulting the Republican base can not be undone or unsaid with a few token appointments.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

If your claim is that the Missouri government with no provocation but religious bigotry just suddenly decided to persecute Mormons, then yes, you are whitewashing.

Again, Joseph Smith was in jail for burning down a printing press in Nauvoo, Illinois. That doesn’t justify his lynching, but it wasn’t just persecution.

tom on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This is the best Santorum has now? Wave around some etch a sketches and endorse Obama?? Excuse me, but what the bloody hell?

Book on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

He said “if” the candidates are equal, which they’re not…
That’s about all I can say for him.

Ronnie on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Yeah. One is ignorant of the constitution, perhaps willfully so. The other is using the constitution as toilet paper. That’s a real attractive choice, eh?

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Basilsbest on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You can keep insulting me all you want. The only people who will care are your fellow Romney-can-do-no-wrong cultists. If it gives you a thrill to get patted on the back for your dishonesty, then go for it. I won’t be responding to you anymore. You aren’t a reasonable person.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

He just sunk his candidacy. I said I would vote for any of the 4, but now I think that someone who would sell out his party because he has a mad on, is just not ready for the big time.

Bambi on March 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I have been thinking the same thing all day…that any of them are better than Obama. Sanctimonium is testing that, but I’m still voting for the GOP nominee no matter what.

But isn’t it telling that the former Senator came into this as a nothing, with no interest from (us) the conservative right edge of the party. And look at what he has accomplished — now he has a lot of support from people who first wanted Herman Cain, then Rick Perry, then Newt Gingrich, then anyone who wasn’t Mitt Romney, plus millions of people despise him as a charlatan and a liar.

Great job.

Jaibones on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Book on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I wonder if it’s dawned on Rick yet how bad he looked today

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

For what its worth, my wife thinks folks that are oldtimers are feeling a bit displaced by all us new ones. She says its because it over amps some people to have to deal with so many personalities at once. Just an observation on my wife’s part. Its what she does for a living so I lend it some credence.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Buy Danish on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I disagree.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

You aren’t a reasonable person.

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You thought you could find reasonable here?

The place is Called Hot Air Gas fer cryin’ out loud.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Oh please. One is a terrorist minus the suicide belt. Mitt may not have the right ideas but he doesn’t hate America.

Ronnie on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Book on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I wonder if it’s dawned on Rick yet how bad he looked today

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Is that any worse than Matt Romney talking up Obama? Hell, if I didn’t know any better, I’d think Matt would vote for Obama over his own father.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

JannyMae on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

There are people who think Romney can do no wrong? Really? Where? From what I’ve seen of the Romney supporters on here they are either people who admit he has flaws but overlook them, or moby trolls who are just trying to turn off Gingrich and Santorum supports from voting for Mitt in the general.

alchemist19 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Now dangit either leave, or not. Every time I think about responding to you, you write that you are outta’ here.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

FTR, Don’t care. Bye.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Snort.

katy the mean old lady on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Emperor Norton on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Lol, As a Jew i hope you don’t think i am trying to convert you to LDS

My point basically is that every religion has a few funny or interesting things they do that someone who isn’t part of that religion considers weird, But the fact is that religion is not something logical, if it would have been logical it would have been could logic,

The whole idea of faith is that its based on faith and not on (100%) logic, so i think its time to cut the mormon nonsense, they may have a lot of weird ideas but the goal of the mormon religion as well as any religion is not so much the rules they have as the fact that they believe these rules will lead you to better be able to have faith in God

Anyways i have no plans of making this a religious thread, I’m done with this topic for the day

OrthodoxJew on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Rick is right, if Mittens wants to do a reset after he gets the nomination then there is no point in voting Republican…. RINO verus Obama……uhhh Socialism Light??? But is it less filling???

That is not a winning campaign strategy and it sound like the same plan that lost Mittens the race against Ted Kennedy way back when.

PS Don’t bother I have no intention of voting for Mittens…incidents like these strengthen my resolve to vote for someone else.

thmsmgnm on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Ronnie on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM

So? A lot of politicians who don’t hate America and haven’t hated America have contributed to the massive debt and willful constitutional ignorance endemic to our society. If loving America were the only extraconstitutional requirement for being president, I’d run myself. I don’t want to know how Romney feels. I want to know what he’ll do. The problem is, his words are at odds with his track record.

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I didn’t understand it before but now I get why so many on this site is for any one but Romney. It’s Romney’s religion. Not all but obviously many of you. You should vote for Santorum… or Obama.
Who needs you!

BobScuba on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

All I know is I’ve commented with a lot of these folks for years. Quite a few are like much different people this time around.

You all take care.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Who needs you!

BobScuba on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

What? Brilliant.

Outta here.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I wonder if it’s dawned on Rick yet how bad he looked today

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM

gryphon202 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Why yes, yes I do think its worse.

steel guy on March 22, 2012 at 10:02 PM

1100 comments?

Sweater-vest might have lost it but he’s now in Palin territory on Hot Gas!

CorporatePiggy on March 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 PM

All right, I’ll be at the pain in the neck thread until QOTD, if you need anything. ; )

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Snort.

katy the mean old lady on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I was just leaving, Hi Katy, right back at ya HON. ; )

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM

No, I said:

That Mormons did know bigotry and then I quoted Missouri Executive Order 44:

“…the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for the public peace—their outrages are beyond all description.”

This is why it was signed by Governor Boggs, according to Generals Atchison, Doniphon and Parks, who advised the Governor that he needed to call out the militia to “prevent further violence,” as it was explained in a letter to US Army Colonel R. B. Mason of Ft. Leavenworth:

“The citizens of Daviess, Coroll, and some other normal counties have raised mob after mob for the last two months for the purpose of driving a group of fanatics, (called mormons) from those counties and from the State. These things have at length goaded the Mormons into a state of desparation that has now made them the aggressors instead of acting on the defensive.”

Again, Missouri is NOT in Illinois.

Resist We Much on March 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM