Quotes of the day

posted at 10:48 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

“I’ve been thinking about this all night: Eric Fehrnstrom’s Etch A Sketch gaffe yesterday may go well beyond a momentary embarrassment and become a campaign-defining disaster, much as John Kerry’s ‘I voted for it before I voted against it’ gaffe — which came at almost exactly the same point in that campaign, as Kerry locked down the nomination — was in 2004…

“There is a gestalt to every campaign, a deep organic spirit. Kerry’s campaign was infected by the candidate’s indecision about what to do regarding the war in Iraq. Bill Clinton’s campaign was propelled by his native resilience. George W. Bush succeeded because of his gormless certitude. The Obama campaign’s steadiness emanated from the candidate’s no-drama persona. In Romney’s case, this spirit expresses itself in embarrassing gaffes, often at the moment of victory — and it reflects the sterile management-consultancy ethos at the heart of the candidate. In last week’s issue of the New Yorker, Louis Menand had a terrific essay about how this ethos really is Romney’s defining characteristic. A management consultant or private equity turnaround specialist can wipe the slate — or Etch A Sketch — clean and start anew with each new project. A political candidate can’t. There has to be some passion for a presidential candidacy to work. Romney has none, just a deep abiding faith in his ability as a turnaround guy. A turnaround guy. A turnaround guy.”

***

“While the Romney campaign finds itself mired in yet another feeding frenzy over a top aide’s ‘Etch A Sketch’ comment, it is important to take a step back here. One, Romney never said the remark (senior adviser Eric Fehrnstrom did). And two, a lot more good for the campaign happened yesterday (aftermath of winning Illinois, getting Jeb Bush’s endorsement) than bad (‘Etch A Sketch’). Yet the feeding frenzy highlights a bigger problem for Romney, especially as we begin transitioning to the general election: He gets almost no benefit of the doubt. Every gaffe becomes a story; every mistake become fodder for late-night comedians. And more importantly, this is what happens when you don’t have a solid base of support that can serve as a cocoon of protection during the toughest of times. Successful presidential candidates (Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama) had grassroots supporters rushing to their defense, even in the toughest of political times. Romney — right now — doesn’t have this. In fact, it was notable during yesterday’s ‘Etch A Sketch’ controversy that we didn’t see many prominent conservatives railing against media bias or unfairness. Instead, they were either standing on the sidelines or piling on. And that’s a problem for Romney.”

***

“Unlike past Romney controversies in which Santorum sometimes declined to join in attacks on the frontrunner — the flap over Romney’s history at Bain Capital, for example — the Etch-A-Sketch affair has the full attention of Team Santorum. ‘We’re not looking for someone who’s the Etch-A-Sketch candidate,’ Santorum said Wednesday in Louisiana. ‘We’re looking for someone who writes what they believe in stone and stands true to what they say.’ In Arbutus, Maryland, when Romney spoke at an American Legion post Wednesday afternoon, Santorum spokeswoman Alice Stewart visited the parking lot, giving reporters a miniature Etch-A-Sketch. Asked what other plans Santorum had to call attention to the matter, Stewart said, ‘Lots.’…

“The controversy left Romney’s team frustrated yet still confident it would soon blow over. They point out that there is a difference between what a campaign aide says and what a candidate himself says — and that the words at the center of the storm came from Fehrnstrom, not Romney himself. Also, they see the Etch-A-Sketch matter as part of a continuing barrage of small criticisms of Romney — like those Democrats who keep re-telling the dog-on-top-of-the-car story — while on the campaign trail Romney is addressing the big problems facing the country. Sooner or later, they believe, the big topics will win out.”

***

“If Mitt Romney really wants to demonstrate that he’s not simply pandering when he tells us how conservative he is, he needs to fire his campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom

“By any objective measure, it’s of course unjust to fire a man for one errant remark. Politics, however, isn’t fair, and neither is the presidency. Mr. Romney’s problem is not his policies or programs; his problem is his credibility: many people just don’t believe he really believes what he is telling us. Firing Mr. Fehrnstrom would be a welcome signal that Mr. Romney is offended by any suggestion, no matter how much it might be later explained away, that he does not really believe what he says — and is ready, willing, and able to erase it away when he thinks he needs to…

“This is a tough decision for any candidate. We’ll learn something by Mr. Romney’s reaction.”

***

“The question is, who will he pander to as president? Well, that’s up to us. If we spend all of our time hating him, writing in other candidates names, and ultimately letting the ‘establishment’ get him elected, he will not be as concerned about pandering to us going forward assuming he could even win without our support.

“If instead, we pushed hard to get him elected, unseated Barack Obama and pushed in a Republican senate while keeping the House…well, let’s just say that based on his history, he’s going to do whatever he has to to make sure that come 2016 we’re going to think that he’s the second coming of Reagan…

“To put it another way, I’d rather have an etch-a-sketch with the probability that I can influence the drawings as opposed to a published book that I disagree with but am incapable of editing.”

***

“Ohio Art, the company that makes Etch A Sketch, saw its stock jump up a whopping 212.5 percent in the day after Mitt Romney’s adviser Eric Fehrnstrom likened the start of the general election campaign to shaking up an Etch A Sketch…

“Fehrnstrom had a little fun with the impact of his comment, saying in a tweet on Thursday, ‘Etch A Sketch stock is up? Psst, I’ll mention Mr. Potato Head next. Buy Hasbro.’”

***

“This is the most inane nonincident of the campaign season.”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Nope, its time to clean this place up.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM

To be honest, there is only one regular commenter on here I’ve thought deserved to get the boot, and it had nothing to do with their politics or other opinions. The name rhymes with Proctor Messla. That person never seems to have any point of view and seems to have no other purpose than to insult people and try to become the center of attention.

Even disgruntled, poor baby whiners like cozmo aren’t that bad. I have no problem scrolling passed comments from haters like cozmo, angryed and company, but that unmentionable person seems like he’s out for nothing more than to start trouble.

bluegill on March 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM

bluegill on March 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Honey, as nutball as you are, I don’t hate you. You are the nutball that calls candidates other than Romney bigoted, ignorant and worse. Your hatred spews from every one of your posts. Tesla is a mensa candidate compared to you. He at least, knows he is a hyperbolic nutball. You however, think you make sense.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

You are the nutball that calls candidates [...] bigoted, ignorant and worse.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Just so you have it correct…

The only bigot in the bunch is the unelectable Rick Santorum, who supported government bans on private, consensual homosexual activity between adults.

I called Newt and Perry other things, but never bigots. (Although I thought Perry’s “Strong” ad was appealing to bigotry.) If you’re going to try to regularly bash me, then at least have your background facts straight.

bluegill on March 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Just so you have it correct…

bluegill on March 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I had it correct the first time.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It’s also grating how the conservatives are being accused of having a “my way or the highway” attitude if there’s a stay at home on election day depression. How about the republican establishment supporting conservatives for a change and giving us a candidate we can vote FOR and then maybe exciting the base. But no, we’re being told it’s to be another unelectable candidate where we’ll just get blamed yet again for a loss. It’s like a Clinton/Obama reflux reliving the ’90s all over again.

mozalf on March 23, 2012 at 9:41 AM

redware on March 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM

At some point you just have to decide to make the best of the opportunities you are given. I think we are fast approaching that point. Let’s make some lemonade and invite everyone!

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Flora Duh on March 23, 2012 at 7:49 AM

So wonderful to see you! You were definitely missed. I read ahead a bit, sorry about your loss. Now if I can see blink around I will mark this as a very good day!

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

MJBrutus on March 23, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Yep, there is nothing worse than a bunch of yahoos who live by a moral code that feel they have a responsibility of society. Let’s stick with the “soft bigotry of low expectations” it’s working so well.

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thank you Cindy. Nice to see you too.

Flora Duh on March 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I’m not having a group argument. I’ve never told lies about you. You know what my complaint is and I know yours of me. I don’t expect it to be resolved.
Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I don’t even know what you mean when you say, “I’m not having a group argument” and you clearly don’t understand what my complaint about you is from last night.

You chose to get involved, to make comments about me on a thread I wasn’t present at, and you picked your team – the bratty commenters who spent the night fabricating false histories. I posted their comments for you not because you’ve told lies about me, but because you’re enabling the obnoxious children and their loathsome tactics. I wanted you to think about what they’re doing and how you might like to be lied about (which, if I were to follow your example, would be the precise moment I come in and say, “Get over yourself. Get off your high horse. What’s a few lies from anonymous commenters?. No big deal. Move on.”).

Thank you so much for encouraging the children in the sandbox, while, once again, posing as the person who takes the high road.

To paraphrase Jimmy Fallon‘s assessment of Stephen Chu, here’s the grade I give all of you for yesterday’s commentary.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

…once again, posing as the person who takes the high road.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Unlike you, Cindy Munford is the real deal when it comes to integrity.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I don’t know what to tell you, I really think I should just stop responding to you at all. I don’t need a mother and I don’t need a psychologist and I resent your tactics for those who don’t tow the line. Obviously this is my problem. I will eliminate it now and we well both be happier.

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

well = will for normal people.

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM

It’s a simple concept…military, sports, business, they all think the same.
Better to have an opponent that you know what move they are going to make, what decisions, what policy they have, than to have an unknown quantity that is erratic and can’t make a rational decision.
Mitt is erratic, liberal one day, conservative the next, sometimes a progressive, sometimes a RINO, sometimes talks like a conservative, others tries to be more liberal than Ted Kennedy was…no body knows how he will govern.
Hopefully from the right, but his history says from the left, but no one really knows, it’s based on pure faith.
If you have faith in him, he is from the right…if you look at his history and don’t have faith, it will be from the left.

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself…oh wait, I am myself…

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Rombot will ruin the modern conservative party if he wins office. He will align with whomever he wants to get his moderate agenda fixed. He has zero personal or professional connections to the party leaders in any wing of the party. Lucky us he won’t win.

The party needs all three parts of its coalition (strong defense, small government, social values) to win the White House. He is going to decimate any chance of bringing home the social conservatives in the poorer, rural districts of America that helped elect Obama. Obama will lurch back to moderation for rest of cycle. And he will paint Romney as the multi-mansioned Wall Street Investment Banker, Gordon Gecko-type of tycoon who doesn’t care for the little guy. Romney will be forced to prove his compassion by out-lurching Obama to the middle.

We need a candidate that has a strong standing in the tea party movement, is a known and trusted quantity to the religious conservatives (in both parties) and is a known budget/govt reformer. Rombot is none of these things.

westaustin on March 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM

How is me asking you not to encourage the vile Cozmo and her childish friends behaving like your “mother”? You have the gall to complain about my tactics after I showed you what Cozmo and Bmore said? My tactics consist of defending myself from complete fabrications. How dare I do that! I need to be like you and take the high road!

Unlike you, Cindy Munford is the real deal when it comes to integrity.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Right. Like you would know. You are the worst of the worst…

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Right. Like you would know. You are the worst of the worst…

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Stick with that blue gills lite.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Stick with that blue gills lite.
cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Bluegill is an ass, but has far more integrity than you. She doesn’t make false statements about commenters and claim conversations took place which never existed. Ironically, she had the integrity to apologize to me. Too bad you and your sandbox buddy aren’t grown up enough to do that.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Flora Duh, Good morning. I missed you!

Bmore on March 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I tried to make up when suggested a tryst. But you lied about that too.

cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

From the queen of lies…oh the irony…

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I tried to make up when suggested a tryst. But you lied about that too.
cozmo on March 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hey, Perv: What I want you do does not involve a tryst.

From the queen of lies…oh the irony…
right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I have quite a collection of your lies, claiming I said “filthy” things about you and other ridiculous fabrications when all I did is refer to you as “not2brite” (as many have done). You lie constantly, but hey, maybe you can do what cozmo can’t: Prove it with a direct quote from me. Thanks in advance.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM

You stated I was an anti-Mormon bigot, just the other day…now show me where I am.
I have no love for Joseph Smith or Young…but Mormon’s? One was the best man at my son’s wedding, good grief I have fought for years for Mitt to be the VP of the nation, hardly a “bigot” to want a Mormon to be the second most powerful person in the country.
I think he has gone off the deep end, and he turned his back on his faith by supporting abortion, but that is him, not because he is Mormon…so now show me where I am an anti-Mormon bigot, you won’t you can’t, because you are a liar.
So show me your “constant” lies…since I “constantly” do it, you should have no problem…

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM

BD, just ignore the lot of them. they have found a group of similar souls who are dissatisifed with their lot in life and try to recreate the virtual version of the High School study hall where cliques sit back and harass, judge and generally act stupid.
they resort to name calling and then get all self righteous when someone hands them a dose back.

Not worth your time at all. you should pity their rather lonely existence that drives them to the internet to feel like they are alive.

Bradky on March 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I hate to butt in here but I’ve been reading this thread for a couple of minutes and I have to tell you that this is exactly what Ed and Allah said they did not want — people carrying on and on with grudges and grievances instead of the topic at hand. You guys have to let this stuff go. Just remember that we all have a common goal here (well most of us, anyway) and that is to save our country from another Obaaabaaa term.

cynccook on March 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Gee, I will keep checking back to see your list…HAHAHAHAHA!!

right2bright on March 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM

right2bright. A representative sample:

Part 1.

Read
. This.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM

right2bright. Part 2.

Enjoy the walks down memory lane.

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Bradky on March 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM

“Harass” is a good word. That’s exactly Bmore and Cozmo’s technique…

Buy Danish on March 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

The whine is strong with this one…

Gohawgs on March 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM