Pat Robertson: It’d serve Denver right if Peyton Manning hurt his neck again given how they treated Tebow

posted at 9:07 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

A cheery little palate cleanser via Mediaite that’s already making waves on the network sports blogs. I’d bet cash money that Tebow himself strongly disagrees with this sentiment, but Robertson is nothing if not consistent. He’s always been a believer in wickedness inviting calamity.

Second look at not legalizing pot?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I read Hotair most everyday but seldom submit comments. I regard most posters here as intelligent and fair-minded. On this thread, I am pretty disappointed. Most of the postings are ad hominem attacks instead of arguments against what Pat R said. I think you folks are much better than that.

miron on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

UGH.

Will someone, anyone, please tell Pat Robertson he needs to retire?

PappyD61 on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Robertson didn’t mention Jesus.
Robertson didn’t mention Hell.
What Robertson did do was say EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking this whole time.
Tebow took a 1-4 team that was crap to the DIVISIONS without a practice season
due to a lockout.
Denver took Manning with an injury – and we find out now why Manning went to Denver:
Manning would’ve had to LEARN offense at the 49ers and at the Titans when at Denver
he could RUN the offense anyway he wants. The reason he didn’t want to LEARN
the offense at the 49ers and the Titans was he still needs (he admitted it) rehab time
and learning an offense would’ve cut into the rehab time.
Now? Denver has Manning running the offense like a coach as well as a QB
and hopefully someone will INFORM the offensive line what they’re to do – if Manning
has the time while in Rehab during the summer.
And YEAH – Tebow was treated like CRAP by Denver.
Denver hadn’t even gotten to the divisions in years.
Elway’s been knocked on the head one too many times to leave important decisions to him to spend $95 million.

athenadelphi on March 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

miron on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I don’t really think there is much to find fault with what Mr. Robertson said, Denver acted shabbily and seemingly shortsighted. If it doesn’t work out, they will be well served. Sort of a “you reap what you sow” deal.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

PappyD61 on March 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

He did not wish Manning harm.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I’ve always enjoyed Pat. A true entertainer.

a capella on March 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

If Tebow could complete a pass he’d still be in Denver

gerrym51 on March 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

And that’s why I said above that I’m disappointed at the postings here. English is not my native language and I think I understood what Pat said and what he did not say. It seems to me those who attacked the messenger instead of his message failed at the reading comprehension part in this particular instance. Perhaps posters need to reread the Hotair Terms of Use.

miron on March 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Recap of what was said: Tebow did good things for Denver…was treated shabbily in the trade…Peyton Manning–good player but injured…if something happens and Denver finds itself without a quarterback, it serves them right. [No statement of hope that something bad will happen to Manning, just the obvious observation that, given his injuries, something very easily could. No judgmental declaration that Denver deserves the wrath of God, just an if-you-are-dumb/spiteful-enough-to-put-all-your-eggs-in-one-aging-and-injured-basket-and-that-basket-breaks-then-that's-what-you-get kind of summary.]

And…

You boys and girls should leave old Pat alone. He’s probably done more good in the world, fed and clothed more people than all the people on this board combined.

Axion on March 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Exactly. Nobody ever talks about the crisis relief organization he started and the fantastic work it has done in the U.S. and around the world. So for those curious, here’s a glimpse of that side of Pat Robertson: Operation Blessing. It makes the occasional misstatement a little more forgivable. He’s human. And he says a lot of things. On TV. Not sure many of us would be able to withstand the scrutiny he endures–by people who give his words absolutely no weight unless they can be ridiculed.

[Sorry if this sounds preachy or whatever. You are free to disagree, of course. But I feel super-protective of the grandfatherly types in our society who have done good things with their lives that more than make up for their less than spectacular moments.]

butterflies and puppies on March 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM

This KOOLAID nut lurks on here all day waiting for me to show up and insists he’s not cyberstalking me.

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

…yea worm you’re right! Can’t miss you when you start talking to yourself all the time, till someone unknowingly takes the bait.

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

He did not wish Manning harm.

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I agree with you Cindy. Robertson said if Manning gets hurt and Denver is left without a QB “it would serve them right.” He wasn’t wishing injury on Manning, but saying if he gets hurt the Broncos deserve it.

It does seem like Robertson is wishing for something bad to happen to the Broncos. Fans do that all the time to a rival team, but it is definitely no class to wish for a player to get injured. Given Robertson’s history, I can see why people would think he was wishing injury on Manning.

Captain Kirock on March 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Stay classy Pat.

Kenosha Kid on March 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

MAC1000 on March 23, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Tebow was working with a hostile coach and management. He brought his teammates together and was a constant source of encouragement to them. Considering the crap her had to work ‘against’, he showed incredible potential. Unfortunately, they never let him fly.

katy on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

All I know is like every play on the Denver roster was celebrating the announcment on Twitter and eleswhere that Peyton Manning was going to be the QB of the Broncos.

You are not living in reality.

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

What did Denver do wrong, exactly? Players get traded all the time. Obviously they didn’t really believe in Tebow as the long-term solution at quarterback. Manning’s arrival was just a convenient time for Denver’s management to face up to that reality. Why would Tebow even want to play for a team that isn’t really committed to him?

RightOFLeft on March 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM

So, Robertson is wishing harm on Peyton Manning, because he feels the Broncos didn’t do right by Tebow.

The Broncos mistreated so poorly, that they had the nerve to allow Tebow to decide which team he would be traded to. Jacksonville made the Broncos a better offer, but they made the trade with the Jets, because that was Tebow’s preference.

HarryBackside on March 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Captain Kirock on March 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM

He has a history of saying odd things.

Cindy Munford on March 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Listen to him very carefully. He says if Denver finds itself without a quarterback, it would serve them right. He never says he hopes Payton Manning gets injured. He said Denver did Tebow wrong by throwing him under the bus for a quarterback who may likely be injured again.

I abhor many things the Pat Robertson says. I disagree with his Calvinistic pronouncements, like his Haiti pronouncement. However, this time, the criticism is undeserved, IMO.

Tennman on March 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I watched the clip and this is spot-on. There is nothing wrong with what Robertson said here. He was not wishing an injury on Manning.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Yeah, at this point, if I were Tim Tebow, I’d issue a public statement distancing myself from ANYTHING Pat Robertson says.

Tebow’s been the picture of grace and dignity in all of this.

He doesn’t need a media pig like Pat Robertson inserting himself into the conversation by saying stupid stuff like this.

Tebow’s handled this like a champ and a champ he will one day be…just not with the Jets, because the Jets will find a way to screw this situation up, just like they’ve screwed up everything else over the last twenty thirty forty years.

If Jerry Jones’ brain wasn’t half dead from botox injections, he’d have snatched up Tebow to replace that headcase Romo…maybe after the Jets give up on Tebow he’ll figure it out and sign him as an FA.

SuperCool on March 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Still a stupid and ignorant thing to say. If the Broncos management had not signed Manning and kept Tebow would the same sentiment apply if Tebow had his career ended on the first pre-season snap because management did not go after Manning?

jdkchem on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

That makes absolutely no sense. They already know Manning had an injury, and they dumped Tebow and signed him anyway. The two situations are in no way comparable.

JannyMae on March 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

miron on March 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Click through to the Mediaite article for some real ad hominems.

I think Robertson has the optics right, even if he screwed up the “for example”. Americans love fairness, and we hate it when we see unfairness. A wish for schadenfreude is not uncalled for here. The best would be for Tebow and Manning to duel on the field, and for Denver to lose.

unclesmrgol on March 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I like Tebow as a person but if you’re a TRUE football fan then you realize he is not a quarterback that will get your team to the championship. In those games last year he would suck for 3. quarters and then find a way to win. But I credit the defense for keeping the score close enough thru the whole game so that they had a chance.

The average quarterback rating in the NFL. Tebows rating is in the 40′s. He’s a BELOW. average quarterback. Players get traded all the time, stop taking it so personal.

Politricks on March 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Tebow has some growing yet to do. He will be fine. He does not define himself by the football team he plays for. His team is a bit bigger than that.
As a Christian I concern myself with what Jesus had to say, not Pat Robertson. If I thought some flawed human was “all that” I’d pay more attention to the homilies at mass.

swinia sutki on March 23, 2012 at 5:22 AM

The Broncos have a rushing offense, a bad defense and even worse management. Manning does little to improve that situation. Likely he will turn the one good aspect of the team upside down in an attempt to align it with his style of play. He will create significant organizational chaos that will take 2-4 seasons to remold, about the time his abilities rapidly fade . This acquisition was a desperate act made by ridiculously inept management. The best move by the Broncos would be to fire Elway and hire competent management.

ray on March 23, 2012 at 5:29 AM

It’s not a given that one grows senile with age, it’s just a possibility with some people.

Pelosi, definitely over that dark hill into the crazy valley. Pat Robertson seems to be running after her.

Lourdes on March 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM

Pat Robertson could use some lessons from Norman Vincent Peale, the author of “How to Win Friends and Influence People”.

Even wishing bad fortune in a football team does not make their fans have a favorable opinion of a person making the comment. Wishing Tim Tebow success in his new franchise is always the more classy approach.

WhatNot on March 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

That’s pretty strong language for a child to use, Tesla. Maybe you should consider the romper room for future postings. You sure are an a$$clown.

DevilsPrinciple on March 23, 2012 at 7:26 AM

I think Elway likes the “old-school” QB type since he was one. That is why he likes Manning.

I don’t know that Denver treated Tebow that bad really. This really seemed to me like a team that can get a hall of fame QB and getting that QB. Honestly, I think Tebow may have been well served as a backup under Peyton for a couple years. When QBs take that back up role when starting their career they learn a lot. Denver is taking a risk with Peyton because he could easily have a career ending injury and at most he has 4 years left, but more likely 2 season.

jeffn21 on March 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM

DevilsPrinciple on March 23, 2012 at 7:26 AM

…pretty soon D T is going to start with: He’s obsessing with me!…Stop your obsession!…Stop obsessing!…I don’t understand your obsession with me!…Stop the obsession!…
He thinks everbody is a clown…when it’s him…that is the circus!

KOOLAID2 on March 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I don’t like Pat Robertson. But this is what Pat Robertson said in the video:

If that injury comes back, Denver would find itself without a QB, and in my opinion, it would serve them right.

The post headline is highly misleading and borders on defamation. No wonder most Americans think the religious right are crazy when the “moderate” GOPers misrepresent them as such.

votermom on March 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Robertson didn’t mention Jesus.
Robertson didn’t mention Hell.
What Robertson did do was say EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking this whole time.
Tebow took a 1-4 team that was crap to the DIVISIONS without a practice season
due to a lockout.
he could RUN the offense anyway he wants. The reason he didn’t want to LEARN
and learning an offense would’ve cut into the rehab time.
Now? Denver has Manning running the offense like a coach as well as a QB
has the time while in Rehab during the summer.
And YEAH – Tebow was treated like CRAP by Denver.
Denver hadn’t even gotten to the divisions in years.

athenadelphi on March 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Elway’s ego made this decision. He and Denver fans will live to regret it.

Theworldisnotenough on March 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Pat just said what a lot of people were thinking.What if Manning gets hurt? The NFL is business and like business it’s what have you done for me lately.The reason I watch very few games.
Tebow makes people (non Christians) uncomfortable with his beliefs and how he sticks to what and who he believes in.Bless you Tim!

foggybottom on March 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

If this had been any other QB getting traded for Peyton Manning, I’m sure Robertson wouldn’t have even commented on it. It’s just a brimstone and fire Christian upset “God’s favorite QB” got traded to the Jets.

mazer9 on March 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Guys. PR’s “it will serve them right” comment is in line with any sportscasters critical commentary. It is not a christian wishing harm quote and it is unfair to spin it so. And, I say that as a christian who thinks PR has a lot of hot air to expel.

Nonetheless, since he has made such misfortune-befalls-the-wicked commentary before, I fully understand the criticism of him for this quote.

As to the deal: Denver made a bad trade, worse, it was a cheap one when you think how little they got out of letting Tebow go. Bad trades happen all the time and stupid managers still make money while fans get disappointed.

You will have no idea of the truth of this until you move to Cincinnat and root for the Bengals. Good lord.

Cricket624 on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Twitterville is long way from Denver bubba.

katy on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Cricket624 on March 23, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Didn’t the Bengals just get a 1st and a 2nd round pick for a “retired QB”? I’d say things are on the up and up in Cincy. Who Dey!

mazer9 on March 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

At first I thought Pat Robertson was wishing Manning harm, but then I understood what he meant that the broncos are taking a risk in playing a quarterback in his mid to late 30′s, who had 4 neck surgeries, and is one sack away from re-injuring himself. And god forbid, if that happens, well the broncos have no one to blame but themselves.

jaboba on March 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM

My Catholic upbringing always stressed that God did not punish in this life. A significant change in direction from the Old Testament.There is individual not group salvation and innocents are not punished for the transgressions of others.It appears Mr. Robertson still lives in the New England of the 1690s….!Ohhh! Why am I bothering to rationalize this. He’s NUTS and the fact that not so long ago he was a player of significance in National GOP politics is scary.

xkaydet65 on March 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Off topic but funny. Tweet published in yesterday’s NY Post.” Give Tebow three games with the Jets and he’ll stop believing in God.”

xkaydet65 on March 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Robertson didn’t mention Jesus.
Robertson didn’t mention Hell.
What Robertson did do was say EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking this whole time.
Tebow took a 1-4 team that was crap to the DIVISIONS without a practice season
due to a lockout.
he could RUN the offense anyway he wants. The reason he didn’t want to LEARN
and learning an offense would’ve cut into the rehab time.
Now? Denver has Manning running the offense like a coach as well as a QB
has the time while in Rehab during the summer.
And YEAH – Tebow was treated like CRAP by Denver.
Denver hadn’t even gotten to the divisions in years.

athenadelphi on March 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM

How is that Christian like? One of the best ever deserves further injury on his $@$@ neck due to Denver’s supposed bad treatment of Tebow?

Even if Timmy was treated unfairly (he wasn’t) how is it fair to wish for Peyton to get hurt??

It’s downright pathetic and no better than the Saints bounty program or Bill Maher’s vile mouth!

And Tebow isn’t half the QB that Peyton is and never will be. When you have a once in a lifetime chance to get Peyton, you do it. Do you think it was an accident that no other team wanted tebow as a starter??

It’s not even a debate! Peyton has covered up the colts flaws for years. He’s made Wayne, Clark, Collie, Garcon, Tamme, the Blair White Project look like great players. Without him the same colts team only won 2 games. For comparison, without Brady the Pats still won 11 games!

I actually like tebow, but it’s his nutjob fans and morons like Pat Robertson that make more people dislike Tebow.

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Hey, people were saying basically this in some of the last day or 2′s Tebow threads. Can’t say I disagree with them or the increasingly cool Pat Robertson. Peyton Manning is old and spent an entire season out for injury. If he gets injured or career ended before half the season is over, how does that not serve the douchebag Donks management right?

Daikokuco on March 22, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Douchebags?? Yeah Elway never did anything for Denver!! ONly won 2 Superbowls and got them the best QB of all time as a free agent!!

So Elway isn’t supposed to make his team better? He’s supposed to stick with a QB with terrible fundamentals? A QB who only scored 20 points a total of 5 times in 14 starts!! How much pressure do you think that puts on the defense?? A QB who’s a sack machine (one sack every 12 snaps) and has a 46% completion percentage???!!!

Peyton gets a 63% completion percentage and will lead the Broncos to 20 pts in his sleep!

It’s a no brainer and anyone who thinks Denver is better off with Tebow than Peyton has no clue about football!

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Except Tebow isn’t 36 years old and didn’t spend the last season on the injured list. You are projecting here, thinking people WANT Peyton to get injured. Nobody is saying that. What they are saying, is its kind of likely that he will, and if he does, it will serve Broncos management right. Their short sighted greed and dislike for Timmy, who did PLENTY for the team will have come to bite them in the ass. AKA serves them right. It’s a shame that I really have to even explain this.

Daikokuco on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Wrong again!

All the doctors have said that there’s no greater risk of injury to Peyton than any other player. So stick to the facts instead of spreading ignorance!

All Elway did was improve his team by getting one of the best ever. Peyton has more talent in his little pinky that Timmy has in his whole body!

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM

His conservatism is what kept Tebow back. It was the right before the Steelers game that Elway told Tebow to “pull the trigger” and he did. It’s what he needed to hear from the start and Fox should have let him be himself but held him back.

katy on March 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Do you not see the obvious flaws that Tebow has? His elongated release causes him to get sacked once every 12 snaps! ONly 5 times out of 14 starts had he led the Broncos over 20 pts!! Look at the pressure it puts on the defense to keep them in the game. Tebow has a 46% completion percentage!

Yet people like you who know NOTHING about football give all the credit to Tebow for beating a bunch of scrub teams. How’d he do in the last 3 games of the year? Putting up a pathetic 3 points against KC at home in a game they needed to make the playoffs (yet they managed to back into the playoffs). How’d Tebow do at NE in the playoffs??

You actually think Tebow would be better than Peyton in Denver?? Please stop embarrassing yourself! Not even Skip Blah Blah Bayless would say something so ridiculous!!

Watch a real QB in Denver this year and see how it’s done. Watch him turn Decker and Thomas into All Pro WR’s and make Denver a serious Superbowl contender!

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Cindy Munford on March 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Really Cindy?

They went out and got in my opinion the best ever to give them a serious shot at the Superbowl for the next 5 years (the length of Peyton’s contract) over a guy who may never even become a decent QB in this league.

Having a 46% completion percentage and running a college gimmick style offense doesn’t last in the NFL.

I’ll trust the judgment of John Elway over yours anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

ray on March 23, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Congrat on the dumbest comment in the entire thread!

Yeah Peyton’s never had any success in this league!! I’m sure it won’t help the WR’s to have a QB that can actually hit them in the hands, or the running game to have a QB that makes defenses respect the pass, or to help the defense to have a QB who can actually put up more than 20 points a game!!

I dare you to stick around and own up to your stupid comments during the season. You don’t know the first thing about football.

LevinFan on March 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM

look at all the football experts at hotair, how comical. Robertson needs to shut his mouth with the fire and brimstone; I’m tired of his predicted repurcussions from God if you disagree with his opinion. Can’t wait for him to get to the pearlie gates and defend all his accusations. His brand of Christianity is a joke, and by association makes the rest of us look horrible.

burserker on March 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Pat Robertson is an old man and he thinks and speaks like an old man. What he said in that clip is pretty close to what I’ve read in several articles by sports writers questioning the wisdom of signing Manning both before and after the Broncos signed him. He wasn’t wishing harm on Manning. That is the spin by the leftist media and anti-Christians as usual. I think allah jumping on the bandwagon isn’t just a reflection of his usual sad championing of atheism but an indication of his empathy, support and identification with the leftist, post modern media. They are his people.

peacenprosperity on March 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM

or the running game to have a QB that makes defenses respect the pass,

I don’t disagree with everything you said but you are dead wrong on this one. McGahee did so well this past year because of Tebow’s ability to run the option. With Tebow’s running ability and ability to disguise what the offense was doing it slowed down the defense and caused linebackers to stay home and not move to the running backs immediately on play action. That created cut back lanes for the Denver running backs and lead to alot of big gains. Let’s see how a 34 year old running back does next year when the defenders in the box have no fear of Manning running with the ball. Alot of you couch coaches dimiss what Tebow did last year but the coaches of at least 6 teams that made offers to Denver understood what he brought to that offense and the credit for the great running game he should get.

peacenprosperity on March 23, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Tim Tebow will be praying for Pat Robertson to please
stop throwing gas on the flames.

That’s my guess.

Texyank on March 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

On many an occasion one must wonder how Rev. Pat has escaped assisted living for so long. However:

Emphasis added to as a reminder to be fair. Rev. Pat isn’t wish Peyton Manning ill. Sometimes schadenfreude is a virtue.

And sometimes Rev. Pat cuts through the PC the way Alexander cut through the Gordian Knot:

“Robertson says Islam isn’t a faith of peace: Televangelist calls radicals ‘demonic’”, Sonja Barisic, March 14, 2006, Associated Press.

Mike OMalley on March 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM

burserker on March 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You didn’t watch the video. Robertson didn’t say anything like what you claim.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 2:52 AM

What Robertson said was that Peyton deserved to get hurt over the “unfair” treatment of Timmy. — levinfan

No. He didn’t. I didn’t even read the rest of your rants, because you didn’t watch the video.

JannyMae on March 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM