Jeb Bush: Make Rubio the VP nominee; Update: Perry: “I have a better gig”

posted at 9:15 am on March 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday’s endorsement of Mitt Romney by former Florida governor Jeb Bush sent the implicit message that the time had come to wrap up the nomination process and begin focusing on the general election.  Bush made that more explicit in an interview with Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Salena Zito — and Bush had an idea how to make the ticket even stronger:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says Republican front-runner Mitt Romney has earned the right to take on President Obama in November.

“It is time to get behind the nominee,” Bush told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday during a visit to Pittsburgh. “And it is time for the country to focus on the most important thing, which is to elect a president who will create a climate for high growth and job-creating abilities for our country.”

Does he want to be VP?  No, but he knows the man for the job:

“Marco Rubio,” he said of the freshman Florida GOP senator, who served as a volunteer on Bush’s governor’s campaign. Bush described Rubio, 40, as “dynamic, joyful, disciplined and principled.”

“He is the best orator of American politics today, a good family man. He is not only a consistent conservative, but he has managed to find a way to communicate a conservative message full of hope and optimism,” Bush said.

No doubt, Rubio would be a popular choice for a running mate in the GOP.  He routinely wins the polls here at Hot Air for the slot, for example.  If Romney does win the nomination — and that seems just short of certain now — he’d need a popular figure like Rubio among conservatives, and I’m not sure there’s another choice that could help him consolidate the base as effectively.

However, I’m still not sold on this as an effective general-election choice.  Rubio has not had any executive-branch experience yet, and has been in the Senate for a mere 14 months.  He needs more time to garner broader experience before one can make the claim that he has a resumé that justifies him being one heartbeat away from the Presidency.  (Yes, I know Obama only had two years in the Senate before beginning his run for the top spot.  Look how well that’s working out.)  As talented as Rubio is, he has a brilliant career ahead of him if he shows some patience and builds a record of more than just fabulous oratory.  He needs a full term in the Senate with his name on significant legislation, then a term as governor in Florida.  With that kind of record, Rubio might be unbeatable in any cycle.  With four or eight years as VP after less than two in the Senate, Rubio could end up being a historical footnote.

Bobby Jindal makes more sense as a running mate in this cycle, or Nikki Haley, both of whom are governors outside of Washington with Southern draw.  Jindal probably would be better in getting conservatives to coalesce behind him, and he has a real track record of political reform in his second term in the top spot in Louisiana.

Update: Fox asked Rick Perry about rumors of his being on the shortlist, and Perry says that rumor is all it is:

“Texas governor versus VP? The balance on that one isn’t even close,” Perry said. “I would suggest to you that’s deep in the rumor category and I got a better gig where I am, thank you.”

Perry would make a pretty good running mate, though, and would help Romney get conservative backing.  I don’t see Perry in a #2 slot, however, and I doubt he sees himself there either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I think it’s cute that people think Jen Bush has sway with actual voters.

Spliff Menendez on March 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Well Ed, I don’t take my marching orders from Jeb Bush, Thank you. I’m in the Michelle Malkin camp. She said on Fox this morning that this thing isn’t over yet, and she isn’t ready to get in line behind Romney yet either.

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Jeb Bush: Make Rubio the VP nominee;

MaiDee on March 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I want President Rubio, putting him on the bottom of a losing ticket is no way to get him there!

vegconservative on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

He’s already done so, putting his name on multiple anti-free speech bills. He’s also advocated for using American military force – invasion – to overthrow Qaddafi.

Thanks, but a ver big No Thanks. We don’t need another anti-Constitutionalist, interventionist.

And Rubio and Jindal are not natural born citizens, so forget putting them on a ticket anyway.

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

“Perry would make a pretty good running mate, though, and would help Romney get conservative backing.”

-Ed Morrissey, Rick Santorum-promoting HotAir blogger

No offense to Perry supporters, but Perry would have ZERO chance of being considered for VP runningmate. Perry was a disastrous presidential candidate and ran one of the worst presidential campaigns in modern history. Even Herman Cain outperformed Rick Perry.

Rick Perry would be a drag on the ticket. Romney can do MUCH, MUCH better.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Jeb even.

Spliff Menendez on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I really think its going to be Rob Portman over Rubio. Rubio is definitely possible, but I think Romney goes with Gov Portman ultimately.

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Enough with that natural born birther baloney. If they were born in the US, they can be president.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

While that may be true, I think that, in the long term, having Perry as VP would be detrimental to Romney’s campaign. Perry may still be favored among conservatives, but, after all the blunders and mistakes he made during the debates, I doubt he is well liked amongst moderates and independents.

Do I even need to bring up Perry’s “Strong” campaign ad?

theoddmanout on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

i won’t vote for someone who has questions about eligibility. is rubio a natural born citizen?

dbilly76 on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Is it too easy to point out the number of years experience the current VP has in the Senate and he’s a complete buffoon?

Given the choice between Biden & Rubio, I’d sleep better with the youngin’ one heart beat away.

dirtseller on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Nah. Rubio needs to take one for the team and accept the Vice Presidency. It’s not about his career or his family. It’s about his country. If he loves this country (as he says he does), then he’ll do what’s right. The GOP needs 40 percent of the hispanic vote and needs Florida. Make it happen Marco.

WordsMatter on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I agree…

evangelicals can’t wait to vote for

Mormon/former Mormon ticket.

Take a look at the bible belt. Willard is about to lose Louisiana. He is on a roll in the south losing.

liberal4life on March 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

liberal4life on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Jindal or Perry would be great choices and all but guarantee the South for Mittens. He’ll win the Southern states regardless(except for maybe New Mexico), but either of those VP candidates could be dispatched to the South to campaign on his behalf and allow Romney to spend all his time up north and in the swing states.

My personal pick is still Paul Ryan though. Especially if his budget is gonna be a central issue in this campaign.

Doughboy on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I do not think it’s the last you’ll see his face on the national scene. And the scenario that would preclude him needing to, two terms of the eventual nominee and then two terms of Rubio, well, that wouldn’t be so bad.

I wish he would have stayed in too.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Romney/West or Romney/Rubio.

Both great, and unbeatable choices. IMHO

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

That’s a very good guess. I think he’ll take someone from the South though.

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I don’t see why Nikki Haley would be an especially inspired choice. She’s not especially popular in her home state, a state Romney’s not going to lose in any case, and she has no more high-level experience than Rubio, having only been elected governor in 2010. If Romney picks from the South, Jindal’s probably the way to go.

But I think a pick from the South would be a fatal mistake. Romney’s not losing the South. You only get one shot to pick a VP, so a wiser choice is to draw regional appeal from the West or Midwest, which will decide the election if it gets close. A number of governors – and it should most definitely be a governor – are available: Snyder of MI, Sandoval of NV, Martinez of NM (my current favorite), Mead of WY.

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Rick Perry would be a drag on the ticket. Romney can do MUCH, MUCH better.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I wondered where your Perry-hatin’ nutball self was.

Perry would be a drag on Romney’s ticket…you crack me up.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

This evangelical and every one I know would vote for a hamster straight out someone forth point of contact over the worst president in my lifetime, President Obama.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Enough of this Rubio stuff, He is not even Natural born.

Hispanics will not blindly vote for the republicans just because a Cuban is on the ticket.
Give me Mitch Daniels or governor McDonnell.
The identity politics stuff does not belong in this party.

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

NO, Marco, don’t commit political suicide by joing a ticket with a loser like Romney! We went through this same thing with McCain and look how the establishment treated Sarah Palin and is treating her now. And a lot of the Romney campaing staff is the same as McCain’s – they can do the dirty work of stabbing you in the back while Romney and Jeb come off smelling like roses. That way, old Jeb will be primed and ready to step in when you’re too extreme and conservative in 2016. I hope no conservative will pair up with Rmnoney if he’s the nominee. We’ll need them without that baggage in 2016 after the democrats beat yet another moderate/liberal republican.

mozalf on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

liberal4life on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

You know, whenever I check on hotair, maybe once or twice a day, I look at the articles and scan the comments. On almost every story, no matter when it was posted, your there, commenting. Are you a “liberal4life” because you don’t work or something? Its totally bizarre, who would choose to not only comment ALL DAY, but to comment on a site that doesnt share you ideological perspective? Bizarre.

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I don’t think the Constitution is baloney. Good to see where you stand, though.

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Me likey
But you make good points Ed

Love Perry too :)

cmsinaz on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Perry on the top of the ticket, if Republicans are serious in winning the election, otherwise you know well we’re lost already with Mittens on the top.

nancysabet on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Maybe, but Ohio is key, the South despite its hesitance to Romney now, will be solid R in November.

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Cheney just LOL’d.

rubberneck on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Whats wrong with putting another white male on the ticket?

Are we going to play identity politics and go the way of the democrats?

Jindal is not qualified enough and Rubio is a rookie. We need competent people not an affirmative action running mate.

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I also like Martinez, but I worry that she doesn’t have the national level political experience. She seems a lot more capable than Palin ever did, but I would hate to run the risk of deja vu by putting up another “green” VP choice. With more experience under her belt, I think she would be a more formidable candidate, though I could be wrong.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I wish he would have stayed in too.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

He had some big oops moments but all of them have. His record though is still the best hands down of every candidate in the race past and present.

I sure hope he gives it another shot. He would be one fantastic President.

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Why do you hate the constitution?

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Check out libfreeordie comments too and tell me they aren’t the same person.

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wow, stop the presses. I agree with you. ;o) I think Jindal would be the best choice, and we already hear the birther stuff about him too.

Lightswitch on March 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I think so too. Alas!

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

That’s true – the South is not voting for Obama that’s for sure.

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Jeb and Mitt are two progressive pukes in a bucket.

Pork-Chop on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Mike Castle would be a better choice.

Bishop on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ditto that.

tencole on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Probably, I just felt like it was time this person was called on it. That person, among others, are a chief reason why I don’t even bother commenting here anymore. Its turned into a troll fest, almost every story you have one or two nutcases who just dominate the entire conversation, its really too bad.

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I think Perry and Romney would kill each other if they had to spend time together.

jeffn21 on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Even though I haven’t always been a huge fan of the guy, I think Mike Huckabee would help Romney a lot. Huckabee should be strongly considered.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’m sorry. Did you misread the part where I said Nikki Haley wasn’t the way to go and mentioned openly white males Matt Mead and Rick Snyder as solid VP choices?

Well, you are a birther, so I’m guessing reading comprehension isn’t a strength of yours.

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Mike Castle would be a better choice.

Bishop on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Been colluding with blue gills? Did you shower afterwards? Twice?

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Rick Perry would be a drag on the ticket. Romney can do MUCH, MUCH better.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

….you’re a drag on Romney!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Probably, I just felt like it was time this person was called on it.
nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Then step up and spank them.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 AM

The last open enrollment really hurt this place. Too many trolls not enough discussion.

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

….you’re a drag on Romney!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

She doesn’t think so. But then, she is incapable of thinking.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It would be the height of hilarity for Rubio to be attacked for his inexperience by the same people who believed Obama was qualified for the top of a ticket.

That said, I think Jindal is probably the better choice…by most accounts, he’s done an excellent job as governor and would balance the ticket well. (If he wants it, which is the biggest question mark.) My governor, McDonnell, is also a decent possibility, but he’s been hurt over these recent anti-abortion bills.

changer1701 on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

First, almost all the people commenting know little or nothing about rubio. I live in florida and can tell you he likely could not win by himself in a general election… ever. He likely couldn’t even win the nomination since he appears to believes in amnesty.

Second, I personally do not believe that Rubio is a natural born citizen and should not be VP. Anyone who was born with dual citizenship is not natural born.

Third, I’m a tired of this condoned racism/sexism where we pick someone like they are an M&M. One would think we might have learned our lesson about that after obama!!! If you pick someone for an office because of their race, you are a racist. If you vote for someone because of their race, you are most certainly a racist.

Finally, Jeb Bush is an idiot. If you can’t recognize that, spend some time in the mirror.

aniptofar on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Since Rubio is NOT qualified because he is NOT a natural born citizen, it obviously looks like there was a commie/rino agreement that said donts bother hussein and weze wonts bother rubio.

Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

hawkdriver on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 AM

…ME TOO!…unless, it’s Barney Frank’s Hamster!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Gentle nudge: Portman was never governor of Ohio.

Natural Born? Really? I understand (and fully believe in) the Constitution, but can somebody run up to the White House and check the current occupant’s papers?

The Dems couldn’t possibly object to any landscaper/nanny/housekeeper with a green card, let alone Rubio.

I have my preferences, but at this point, I’ll vote for anyone but Obama, and anyone who can beat him.

The Honey Badger

The Honey Badger on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I assume all those bashing Gov. Palin for her supposed lack of experience will now make the same argument about Gov. Martinez and Sen. Rubio?

lilredhen on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Oh I hate that, I’ve met a lot of people who’ve earned promotions, that doesn’t have a blessed thing to do with their qualifications for the job.

Could anybody have earned the WH more than Dole and McCain?

Get off the earned crap.

Speakup on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Wow, the Birther crazies are out in force this morning.

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

…ME TOO!…unless, it’s Barney Frank’s Hamster!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Oh, that was mean…I never felt sorry for a rodent before you wrote that.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Am I the only one sick of the Bush family? I thank them for their service to our nation, but I do not care what any of them thinks about any issue, especially whom Romney should choose as his VP. I like Rubio and think he’d be great, but enough of the Bush family. BTW, wasn’t it brave for Jeb to endorse after Romney won Illinois and essentially locked up the nomination?

Sheerq on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

LOL… GG, turn that frown to a happy face immediately (in my sternest voice). :)

All jokes aside, Rubio will be wise to stay away from a VP offer if Romney is the one making it. Why?

Because any ticket with Romney at the top is a sure loser in November against Obama. I am sorry but if even Palin couldn’t save the McCain ticket, I doubt any conservative can save the Romney ticket.

It makes sense in the light of this that Jeb Bush would push some of his major competitors to pair up with Romney on a ticket that is a sure loser so he could clear the path for his own run in 2016.

For isn’t this what this is all about?

TheRightMan on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Portman is a senator from Ohio, not the gov…..I still think it has to be a more conservative choice, probably from a southern swing state. Possibly Virginia or Florida. I always liked Haley Barbour.

mactoid on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

…I try to troll the trolls…so you guys can have a discussion…so I can go back to gaining the insight I get from most of you here. (:<)

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

While everyone here is busy picking Romney’s running mate, seems we have another flip-flop from Romney on gas prices:

From the article:

Curiously overlooked, though, is just what a shift this rhetoric is from the approach that Romney took on the issue of gas prices while governor of Massachusetts. Befitting his profile as a moderate Republican who cared about the environment, Governor Romney responded to price spikes by describing them as the natural result of global market pressures and by calling for increases in fuel efficiency—the same approach that he now derides Obama for taking as president.

At moments, Romney went so far as to make high gas prices out to be a welcome reality for the foreseeable future, one that people needed to learn to live with. When lieutenant governor Kerry Healey, a fellow Republican, called for suspending the state’s 23.5 cent gas tax during a price spike in May 2006, Romney rejected the idea, saying it would only further drive up gasoline consumption. “I don’t think that now is the time, and I’m not sure there will be the right time, for us to encourage the use of more gasoline,” Romney said, according to the Quincy Patriot Ledger’s report at the time. “I’m very much in favor of people recognizing that these high gasoline prices are probably here to stay.”
Romney’s response to high gas prices while governor fit into his broader effort to promote “smart growth” policies in Massachusetts—a focus that is rare among Republican leaders but that he took up with alacrity. After taking office in 2003, he combined the state’s transportation, environment, and housing departments into a single “Office for Commonwealth Development” under the command of Doug Foy, a prominent local environmentalist who was known to commute to work 20 miles by bike. Together, Romney and Foy pushed for legislation to channel new development into existing communities, thereby reducing the need for new road construction and the car dependence of Massachusetts residents. They put forward a sweeping “Climate Protection Plan” in 2004, which included, among many other things, calls for more car-pooling, public transit and tax breaks for motorists who bought hybrid vehicles. Clean energy was the future, Romney declared at a conference in 2005: “This is an industry that is going to be explosive in its growth in the next decade.”
Romney and Foy also proposed slashing the number of SUVs in the state vehicle fleet. As one administration veteran told me this week: “It was helpful to have gas prices high when we were there because it led [Romney] to think that efficiency was sensible. He talked about that a lot for the state vehicles—that gas costs a lot and we should be driving more efficient vehicles.”

I think it would be wise for republicans to not measure the drapes yet. Seems Romney holds the same view as Obama on green energy (or, he did at one time before he didn’t).

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Why not ask Obama if he’ll consider? He just announced he’ll drill anywhere…. maybe he means in training his civilian army though -Note to self: (better put a hold on that thought.)

Don L on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Wow, the Birther crazies are out in force this morning.

KingGold on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Its been pretty barren for them lately. They saw an opportunity and pounced. They can’t help themselves, it’s Pavlovian.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Jindal was born in Baton Rouge and Rubio was born in Miami. Enough of your racist slander. And by the way genius the term is “native born” not natural born.

Since Rubio is NOT qualified because he is NOT a natural born citizen,
Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

You stop it too. Just because they don’t look like you does not mean you have a right to throw out such racist lies.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I don’t think the Constitution is baloney. Good to see where you stand, though.

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

AMENDMENT XIV, Section I – All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

Yup. No baloney about what it says there. (“But that only applied to former slaves!” Um, if it did, they would’ve explicitly worded it that way. Sometimes language is vague for a reason.) So yeah, if Rubio or Jindal (my preference) were born someplace with a U.S. Zip code, they qualify. End o’conversation, as my old Government teacher would say.

TMOverbeck on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

liberal4life on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Please quit projecting your bigotry onto the rest of the world.

Nathan_OH on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 AM

KickandSwimMom on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

No fair, you found his old etch-a-sketch….

Don L on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

lilredhen on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Palin’s problem was not just being inexperienced. She also couldn’t fake it well… and she NEVER seemed to improve at all. She never seemed particularly knowledgeable or articulate. She would give these ridiculously childish answers in interviews and appear as though she was running for high school class president.

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Newflash: Birthers take over Hotair comment thread.

WordsMatter on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

If there is a team on every troll thread to do the troll bashing, others can post the informative stuff, while those who enjoy rolling in the mud can bash the nutball trolls.

Its always open season on nutballs and there is no limit.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Jindal is more than qualified. What is your problem with him? I think Rubio would be better off running for prez himself some day.

Lightswitch on March 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Once again we see that the ABR base doesn’t understand politics in the slightest.

Rubio will not be Romney’s VP pick – Bush is just giving him some props. When the idea first surfaced, the media unloaded on him just enough to let him know what he will face if he takes the slot. He’s got skeletons, and wisely backed down. He’ll be left alone if he stays in Florida.

Nikki Haley’s endorsement didn’t do squat for Romney in South Carolina. If she can’t guarantee Romney a win in her own state, why put her on the ticket?

Jindal has the opposite problem. He was an early Perry supporter, when he should have kept his trap shut. Now he’s tainted by Perry’s embarrassing performance, and will be of no use to Romney in Louisiana.

Memo to the ABR base. Romney is not going to attempt to “placate” you with his VP pick, at least not directly. He won’t make McCain’s mistake. McCain’s strength was foreign policy. Had he picked a VP who understood the U.S. economy, his campaign might have weathered the banking crisis with more aplomb. Instead had Palin, who rallied the base, and no one else. Never again.

And why pick a governor? You pick a governor if you are a senator or congressman, who has never run a thing in his life. Romney, a governor himself, would be repeating himself here.

This is still a dangerous world. There is a very good chance of a foreign policy October Surprise, likely involving Iran. Romney will need someone expert and conversant in foreign policy and defense issues. Someone from Defense or Intelligence or one of the service branches. Not the State Dept. Likely from Virginia or North Carolina, states with a strong military tradition, and which need to return to the red column for Romney to win. That scenario will cover most of Romney’s weak flank(s), including his so-called problem with the base.

Mr. Arkadin on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

A rino bush speaks and the waters part. God can we just give a rest w/this family that has lived off of public monies for 60 years, then became millionaires off friends & themselves doing business with government.

Take that hack bushie, Karl “slime” rove, hasn’t had a real job in 40 years. A hanger on, specializing in going thru trash barrels of bush competitors. Will stop at nothing to destroy someone. Uses goverment to create his business. Thinks he speaks for every republican in the united states. Was main reason Obama became president and dems won the house and senate in 2008.

The bush family handouts for 60 years

Prescott Bush
George h w Bush
George w bush
Jeb Bush

George Bush Jr
etc.
etc.

The bush family and the hanger ons are the biggest welfare case in US history!

Danielvito on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

So that explains your Palin hatred. You are what you slander her for. Many of your nutball rants make a little sense now.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Someone needs to tell Jebbie that in a post-Tea Party world his opinion on matters is no longer desired (ever [again]).

shannon76 on March 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I am really getting worn out by our so called bettors in
the Republican party. Go ahead, put Rubio on the ticket.
and whatch the sh*storm that ensues about his mortgage(s).
Yeah, I know it is no big deal….tell that to the media.
These people including some on here amaze me. They drone
endlessly about Palin and how she damaged the ticket in
2008, and how she was “unvetted”. Many of these same
people crow about Rubio like he’s the Second Coming.
Let’s compare shall we?? Runbio has been in the Senate since
January, 2011, Palin was in office from Jan, 2007. So, they
have the identical time frame. Will somebody, anybody please
explain to me how picking Rubio would be wise, but picking
Palin was dumb??

Oh one last tidbit. Palin was in an

ToddPA on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

mactoid on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM

The pardons as Barbour left office hurt his chances if he was ever under serious consideration (MS is a pretty solid red as it is). I agree that whoever is the VP nominee needs to be unquestionably conservative and if they can bring over a swing state that would help. But geographically, I think serious consideration should be given to somebody from the west to balance out the northeastern Romney. Personally, I think Jindal would be a good choice because not only does he have experience in Congress and as governor but he also has a background in healthcare policy and could be put to work from day one dismantling Obamacare.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM

At brokered convention, Rubio, Christie and Bolton would give speeches endorsing Mitt. Who will Newt and Rick have?

NickDeringer on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I agree…

evangelicals can’t wait to vote for

Mormon/former Mormon ticket.

liberal4life on March 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM
liberal4life on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

…I know you are a dumb m-f-er… and get your daily diaper change and bigot pill in moms basement…but you are also a lazy SOB for a troll!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Romneycare needs a soulmate as a VP candidate, I nominate Fidel castro!

Danielvito on March 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Mr. Arkadin on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 AM

From your ignorant rant, neither do y’all nutball Romney fluffers.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Sorry got cut off.

RE” Palin was in an Executive position. Rubio will have
EVERY vote he cast thrown back at him.

I like the guy, but people need to get a dose of Reality.
He will be excoriated beyond belief.

ToddPA on March 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I don’t think the Constitution is baloney. Good to see where you stand, though.

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM

First of all the Constitution never defines “natural born”, and second of all, many legal scholars have already weighed in on this issue, and all of them say your “read” on the Constitution is wrong.

Charles Curtis was born in the territory of Kansas before it was a State. According to the ludicrous “a ‘Natural Born Citizen’ is different than a citizen at birth” contingent you belong to, he would not have been eligible to be Vice-President.

And yet, he was.

But your biggest problem is a recent ruling re. O’bama.

In deciding in favor of Obama in the recent Georgia case, the Georgia judge referenced an Indiana case:

The Indiana Court rejected the argument that Mr. Obama was ineligible, stating that children born within the United States are natural born citizens, regardless of the citizenship of their parents. Id. at 688. This Court finds the decision and analysis of Arkeny persuasive.

How about President Chester Arthur, whose father was a British citizen at the time of his birth?

SCOTUS sez:

“Nothing is better settled at the common law than the doctrine that the children even of aliens born in a country while the parents are resident there under the protection of the government and owing a temporary allegiance thereto are subjects by birth.”

Del Dolemonte on March 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

commie senate resolution #511 says that McCain is natural born of TWO citizen parents. Rubio’s parents were NOT citizens and neither were Jindals. Now goes backs and reads da resolution. We makes them ups as weze goes alongs.

Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Jindal has the better resume, but I think Rubio’s background compares favorably to Obama’s considering his work as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives. Leaders of state legislative bodies have gone on to become Vice President before, though that was a long time ago: Garret Hobart in 1896.

Perry would be an awful choice, though. He just wasn’t knowledgeable about subjects outside of his home state.

I wonder what this does for Jeb 2016 speculation. If Rubio’s the running mate in 2012 and does a decent job, he’ll probably be the frontrunner in 2016.

Mister Mets on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yes and yes.

Lightswitch on March 22, 2012 at 10:02 AM

bluegill on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

…hey BOYS!…you think THIS one… is a faker?…(you know, what I mean!)(:>)

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Well if fidel castro won’t be ideal as a VP candidate, then I nominate romneycare’s former dog seamus, so he can take a dump on his head!

How many flip flops will romneycare have in picking a VP nominee! I guess he’ll have to ask his top advisor fernstrom on who to pick then run as a etch a sketch liberal in the general!

Danielvito on March 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

To all you crazy awipes who think that not being born in the US is not a natural born citizen.

What is your definition?

Its not the constitution. The constitution says…

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at
the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office
of President…

Two points here. One concerns the quote “time of the adoption of the Constitution.” This adoinder makes sure that only people who are here, who were NOT BORN in the what would become US at the time of the founding, could become President. What this means is that those who were, for instance, born in Britain, but were Citizens at the time of the founding (essentially anyone within the 13 Colonies) were eligible. So that second part is to allow for the possibility that those who had emigrated had the opportunity. We could have had a French born President in the first few decades, if one had run.

Once that time ran out, there remains….

No person except a natural born Citizen…

This was not at that time defined, but it did get defined later….

Amendment 14 – 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside…

So now we have both definitions. Together, they state clearly what a natural born citizen is. You can have some wiggle room for children of illegal immigrants or immigrants who come in to get their kids citizenship by (a) claiming that illegals have not entered under our laws, and therefore are not under our jurisdiction, and (b) specifying in law that people entering under temporary visas cannot have their children claim citizenship (which would be much more iffy than denying kids who are born of illegals citizenship.)

Now, I have defined it, as the Constitution has. Where is your drug induced source?

Admittedly, this will not convince you nutbags. But I would like those who might be waverers to see that the claim is baseless. Both Jindel and Rubio’s parents were here legally, and whether their parents were citizens or not, their children were.

deadite on March 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

hussein was born in kenya and is not qualified, same as jindal and rubio.

Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

…hey BOYS!…you think THIS one… is a faker?…(you know, what I mean!)(:>)

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Nope, she isn’t good enough to be even a bad faker.

With blue gills, what you read is what she is. It is good that csdeven has some company at the bottom of the barrel.

cozmo on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

gophergirl on March 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

So you want an echo chamber?

Bradky on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

hussein was born in kenya and is not qualified, same as jindal and rubio.

Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

^^^what he said is the truth!

social-justice on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Look at you taking a page from the Left. Who said anything about race? Nice try to deflect from the argument.

Read the Constitution, “genius”. One of the requirements for presidency is that he be a natural born citizen. Know your history and your Constitution.

Their parents were not American citizens; therefore, they are not natural born citizens. Being born in the states might make one native born, but not natural born. In Jindal’s and Rubio’s cases, however, they are neither native born nor natural born.

Dante on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

The Honey Badger on March 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Sorry, that was a rush type I knew he was a Senator, its early lol.

nswider on March 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Mr. Sun on March 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM

And again, the term in the Constitution is “native born” not natural born. Do you understand the difference?

Both Rubio and Jindal were born in this nation (unlike McCain who was born in Panama) so I’m not even sure why you are bringing up SR 511. Other than, of course, to show just how racist you can be.

Happy Nomad on March 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM