Coming Saturday to the National Mall: “Woodstock for nonbelievers”

posted at 10:17 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

C’mon. You didn’t think I was going to let this luscious bit of traffic bait pass unposted, did you? Atheist Woodstock? Good lord. I may have to take weekend duty just so I can liveblog it.

I’ll be there in spirit. Er, so to speak.

Paul Fidalgo, communications director at the Center for Inquiry, said that, despite appearances, this isn’t a rally about believing in nothing. There’s actually an agenda involved — and that includes current politics, the 2012 race and President Barack Obama…

Among the issues: international anti-blasphemy laws, the recent clash over contraception and the Republican presidential race.

“The right has so commingled themselves with religion,” Fidalgo said. “I will say that I do find it interesting that in an election season in which the main issue is ostensibly about the economy, that in recent weeks it’s been issues surrounding religion that have become so central.”…

“It’s a celebration,” Fidalgo said. “It’s not a protest. It’s not a complaint. It’s not a March on Washington where we’re picketing anything. It’s a celebration of the fact that the secular movement is really starting to come into its own. There are more people who feel free to come out and say they’re nonbelievers or secular humanists and those numbers are growing. People are less shy about it. This gives us a chance to make ourselves known and put ourselves on the national stage and say, ‘We’re here, we’re a large group, we’re active, we have a positive agenda.’ We want you to know we’re your neighbors, and we’re not scary.”

Fidalgo insists that there’s no partisan bent to the event (he specifically grumbles about Obama attending the National Prayer Breakfast), but given that Richard Dawkins has an op-ed in today’s WaPo singling out Santorum, Palin, and Bachmann as “politicians who flaunt their ignorance as a vote-winning virtue,” I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that there will in fact be a partisan bent to the event. In fact, follow that link and read Dawkins’s entire column, noting how he promotes the “Reason Rally” by singling out the types of people who he thinks wouldn’t want to attend. It’s terrible, terrible messaging, infused with the sort of sneering self-congratulation that colors popular stereotypes of atheists. (Fidalgo acknowledges that “Americans do have a bad impression of their atheist neighbors.”) On the day of a major rally on the Mall, the tone should be pure inclusion — “show up and give us a chance,” etc. Instead, this. Every identity movement has elements of “we’re just like you” and “we’re not just like you and we’re darned proud of it.” A little more of the former would go a long way, RD.

Here’s the official schedule, which will include a video tribute to Hitchens. And here’s an unofficial YouTube vid touting the event that seems to capture the flavor well enough.

Update: Just noticed this on the schedule. Dude?

06:00 pm
Close and Hugs
With everyone.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Of course, the big episode for atheism is Go God Go, but the one where the atheists get together and talk crap to each other is Red Hot Catholic Love.
Tzetzes on March 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

The episode I’m referring to doesn’t have anything to do with religion. It’s the one when they all get hybrids. Then the the adults sit around talking about how awesomely superior they are and sniffing their own farts.

The Smug Alert will be high in the DC area this weekend.

Ampersand on March 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Woodstock had Hendrix, I love Hendrix, and you sir are not recreating Woodstock.

Bishop on March 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Stay away from the drugs, kids! You wouldn’t want to have a religious experience!

squint on March 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

What’s the point? I don’t believe little green men live on Mars. Doesn’t mean I’m going to start a rally just because someone does. Seems like they’re trying to convince themselves of something.

Ronnie on March 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Seems like they’re trying to convince themselves of something.

Ronnie on March 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

That a particular chip on their shoulder doesn’t exist.

“He doesn’t exist… and even if he does, damn him…” That’s the final reduction.

Logus on March 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

“The answer, my friend, ain’t blowin’ in the wind, the answer ain’t blowin’ in the wind…”

Heh.

unclesmrgol on March 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

squint on March 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Definitely be sure to stay away from the brown acid.

JFS61 on March 23, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Great, a bunch of self-indulgent neckbeards engaging in a festival of wanton debauchery.

Hey, wait….it IS Woodstock!

Good Solid B-Plus on March 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Ronnie on March 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

You’re on to something. You are right about it seeming a little strange to so proactively proselytize for something unproselytizable — Heh; English — but that’s not what I mean. I mean, this might be a great excuse for lots of stupid parties.

“We weren’t invaded — 2012″ — The social event of the year. :)

“Complete Failures at Vegetable Gardening Get-Together” — For people without green thumbs, or people that just aren’t that into gardening.

“Fully Clothed Gathered People”

“We Heart Aztecs” — For the lovers of the Aztec culture, and for the Aztec curious.

… popularity awaits …

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 5:22 AM

this luscious bit of traffic bait

110 comments or bust.

Ronnie on March 23, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Heh.

unclesmrgol on March 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

LOL

An atheist Woodstock…huh, I seem to remember some things besides Communism and atheism from the 60s and 70s:

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 23, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Tzetzes on March 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Awesome worldview defense 2 cartoons.

tom daschle concerned on March 23, 2012 at 6:05 AM

29Victor on March 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Excellent.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 6:06 AM

I wish I could go. I hope no religious nuts show up and start shooting or blowing people up. I know some are planning to go to promote their fairy tales but I hope they will be the kind easily ignored.

Dan_Yul on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Gee, I wonder why people are put off by atheists.

DethMetalCookieMonst on March 23, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Dan_Yul on March 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Gee, I wonder why people are put off by atheists.

DethMetalCookieMonst on March 23, 2012 at 6:10 AM

LMFAO!

Nothing says intellectual and openminded like insular groupthink.

tom daschle concerned on March 23, 2012 at 6:30 AM

29Victor on March 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Don’t forget

Richie Imagine There’s No Havens
Ten Years After And You’re Still Just Rotting’ In The Grave

And a surprise last minute addition of

Joan Biased

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM

That a particular chip on their shoulder doesn’t exist.

“He doesn’t exist… and even if he does, damn him…” That’s the final reduction.

Logus on March 23, 2012 at 2:21 AM

I can’t tell where their God hate ends and their atheism begins.

Roy Rogers on March 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Roy Rogers on March 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I think you got that backwards, Roy.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Oops. No, you got it about right.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM

I can’t tell where their God hate ends and their atheism begins.

Roy Rogers on March 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM

If your assessment of a continuum is correct … probably somewhere in the material universe. :)

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM

tom daschle concerned on March 23, 2012 at 6:30 AM

The only time I have ever been able to say “I love that tom daschle” is when I read your posts.

DrMagnolias on March 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Good Lord.

Ufdaubet on March 23, 2012 at 7:04 AM

All religions are belief systems, some are more likable than others and some are not. Non believers is also a belief system. Go for a walk and smell the flowers.

mixplix on March 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Lets see if this is Woodstock can we expect lots of stinking folks grubbing around in the dirt with music just the next field over with a bong being passed around? Really the photos aren’t getting us the smell reported on the scene and how that was more than just cow patties… cow patties with patchouli, now isn’t that special?

And if this is to be the Woodstock, then when is the Altamont scheduled? I mean, Mick Jagger is still around, maybe he would like to have some flashbacks of that debacle… nothing like having a gun wielding nut a few feet from you as chaos descends…

ajacksonian on March 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I think we should round all of them up, put them in camps and force them to manufacture nativity scenes for Christmas.

Big Orange on March 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Big Orange on March 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Wir werden hier sein, ohne Atheisten! Morgen de ganz Welt!
Just substitute Juden (Jews) for Atheisten (Atheists) and all will be familiar, Herr Orange.

Annar on March 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Wow! Sounds like fun – some anti-God cranks sitting around complaining and sharing their misery. Now, who wouldn’t want to a part of that?

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM

This is a big yawn moving on…..

Dr Evil on March 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

unclesmrgol on March 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

But expect “Imagine” to be heard as they enjoy their scheduled “group hug”.

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Atheists today are the most radically religious, faith driven wankers in our entire society.

as is typical of the left in general, everything they say about others is in fact completely true of themselves.

Tom Servo on March 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

But expect “Imagine” to be heard as they enjoy their scheduled “group hug”.

whatcat on March 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM

lol … I love that update.

06:00 pm
Close and Hugs
With everyone.

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

“Woodstock for nonbelievers”

Gheee, and I thought the original Woodstock was a Woodstock for nonbelievers!

Actually this is old news in a sense. Why? Because nonbelievers have held many Woodstocks in past with the 1934 Nazi Party Congress in Nuremberg being one of the more notable. If one is unfamiliar with the rally and its stunning Cathedral of Light for nonbelievers one may view a documentary film about this German Woodstock by the acclaimed film director Leni Riefenstahl here: Triumph des Willens [Triumph of the Will]

Mike OMalley on March 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Tom Servo on March 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

They’re religious only in the sense that they rail against the inanities of your religion but it’s a false comparison. Atheism means to be without theism, or belief in a god or gods who provide revelations associated with their existence. That is all.

There are atheists/anti-theists like myself who are on the right as well. Your ignorance is showing…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

OMG. Oh, wait ……… um.

mdavt on March 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Mike OMalley on March 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It’s popular among Christian apologists to claim that Hitler, the Nazis, and the Holocaust are all consequences of atheism, secularism, and liberalism. Such arguments fly in the face of reality: Adolf Hitler regularly proclaimed his faith in God, Nazi ideology was committed to supporting Christianity (on its own terms, of course), and Nazi anti-Semitism was firmly grounded in Christian anti-Semitism. Hitler’s theism, religiosity, and Christianity are supported in his own words.

“I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so”

[Adolph Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941]

“I believe today that I am acting in the sense of the Almighty Creator. By warding off the Jews I am fighting for the Lord’s work.”

[Adolph Hitler, Speech, Reichstag, 1936]

“My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God’s truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice… And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly, it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. And when I look on my people I see them work and work and toil and labor, and at the end of the week they have only for their wages wretchedness and misery. When I go out in the morning and see these men standing in their queues and look into their pinched faces, then I believe I would be no Christian, but a very devil, if I felt no pity for them, if I did not, as did our Lord two thousand years ago, turn against those by whom today this poor people are plundered and exposed.”

[Adolf Hitler, speech in Munich on April 12, 1922

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Yeah, but you’re an anomaly and can’t justify or defend your political positions from any transcendant origin like a Conservative can. They’re nothing more than your opinions descending from expediency and personal preference.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Weather.com is predicting a 60% chance of a thunderstorm for DC on Saturday afternoon. Luckily the National Mall has a 555-foot lightning rod smack in the middle. It would be an ironic tragedy if someone were to be struck by a lightning bolt. I’m just sayin’…

Time Lord on March 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:14 AM

So are your justifications. You just don’t realize it yet. You’ve told yourself over and over that what you just said is the case, that your political positions transcend from a divine source.

Who was it who said, “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.”

Keep telling yourself that what you believe comes from a divine source and in YOUR mind it becomes your reality.

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

So how does atheism provide a corrective for that?

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

“I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so”

[Adolph Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941]

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

And Hitler was not on of the most notorious liars and propagandists of the 20th century?

LOLZ!

Again we can observe above an example of the depth of failure of the American public school system to effectively teach history to two generations of American school children.

Mike OMalley on March 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

And keep telling yourself that that’s how I’ve arrived at my conclusions.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM

So how does atheism provide a corrective for that?

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I’m not sure what you’re referring to…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:21 AM

And keep telling yourself that that’s how I’ve arrived at my conclusions.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I was in your shoes once…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Other notable examples of historic Woodstocks for nonbelievers were the annual International Workers’ Day (May Day) celebrations at Lenin’s Tomb.

Mike OMalley on March 23, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Is it just me, or could Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins pass as brothers?

Vaporman87 on March 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Is it just me, or could Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins pass as brothers?

Vaporman87 on March 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Might not survive both pictures at once … have to carefully size the window and scroll the screen. :) I’ll take your word for it — perhaps they came from the same pod.

Axe on March 23, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I was in your shoes once…
SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Most anti-theists were.

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’ll bet the turnout is disappointing. To atheists, that is.

Ward Cleaver on March 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM

If an atheist orates to deists that they should quit their beliefs because there is no god, could that be deemed as prosthelytizing ?

Bevan on March 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Well I was at Woodstock and let me see if I can make a comparison. Hmmm….
Some great music and no stupid speeches versus no music and stupid speeches.
Lots of drugs versus…..not sure.
Lots of mud versus a clean tax payer venue.
Not enough port-a-potties versus probably more than enough port-a potties.
Lots of trash left behind versus…remains to be seen.
At any rate how can atheists get together about something? I mean getting together over nothing seems odd. That is if it really is about non-belief which of course it isn’t. How can you rally for rights that haven’t been taken away?
As for Dawkins, he’s a tool. Who cares what one man thinks? He would be the first to ridicule the opinions of a Falwell or Warren, etc. What is the difference? I think he’s envious they get attention and he doesn’t garner the same amount.

Deanna on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

148 angry, hateful comments about how angry and hateful atheists are. Nice.

ronsfi on March 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If anyone needed more proof that atheism is just another religion, this is it. The lineup on this thing is lamer than any religious rock music, and religious rock music is pretty lame.

dave_lantos on March 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM

How can you rally for rights that haven’t been taken away?

Deanna on March 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM

You do know that in several states across this great nation that atheists can’t run for office because they don’t affirm the existence of a supreme being right? How’s that for rights taken away for them?

Who cares what one man thinks?

I assume that if you’re a Christian you care about what that one man named Jesus thinks? But who care’s what one man thinks?

I care what one man thinks, but what’s really important is what WE think.

What you believe about the afterlife and god doesn’t matter, it’s what you do in the here and now that does, because this world, this existence is the ONLY existence we can confirm is a reality…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Atheists are usually just liberal newage religious fanatics. I am so sure of this that I knew when I took a look at the reason rally schedule I would almost instantly find some evidence of newage crazy clown pants in there somewhere. Well, if the whole “close and hugs with everyone” isn’t enough, check out the prominent inclusion of Senator Tom Harkin who as we know is a chief proponent of pushing new age alternative medicine quackery on the public. Here’s a nice summary of Tom Harkin’s antics:

Homunculus on March 23, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Annar on March 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

BWAHAHAHAhahahahahahaha!!!!11!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! You poor, put upon, persecuted atheists! Poor babies.
You clowns take yourselves much too seriously. You’re not victims…really. You’re just not.

Solaratov on March 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Solaratov on March 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM

How would you feel if you were told that you can’t run for political office if you believed in a god or gods?

Isn’t the fact that several states in our country still won’t allow atheists to run for office a case of people’s rights being denied?

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Solaratov on March 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, but Hendrix does show, you, me and Bishop. Roadtrip!

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Tru dat! In a flash! :-)

Solaratov on March 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Your case would be bolstered just a bit more if you actually linked to an example (a recent example, please) of that happening.

Otherwise, it’s just an old law that isn’t followed or enforced any longer.

Did you know that, in New York City, it’s the law that when you walk your pet lion, you must have someone walking a hundred feet ahead of you, carrying a red lantern and shouting, “Lion! Lion!” Don’t you find that discriminatory, also, you poor, poor, put upon little victim?

Solaratov on March 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

How about “Woodstock for Nonstoners”. That would make the Guinness Book as the least attended event in human history.

Archivarix on March 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Solaratov on March 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM

From 2009 in North Carolina

“I’m not saying that Cecil Bothwell is not a good man, but if he’s an atheist, he’s not eligible to serve in public office, according to the state constitution,” said H.K. Edgerton, a former Asheville NAACP president.

Hey Solaratov, why don’t you try to be a little bit less sarcastic?

A fact is a fact, and there are nine states with this law on the books. the fact is that if someone were to try to overturn these laws they would br drummed out of office by the religious who would oppose it.

THANKfully, the US Constitution overrules the state in these cases and allows for atheists to run for office, but we all know that if a politician came out as an atheist that it would effectively be the end of their political life in certain portions of this great nation. Bigotry and all that jazz…

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

In other words Solaratov, the atheist could still run for office, but it’d be a joke… The majority, who are mostly Christian, would never vote for someone who discounts their beliefs so it’s a wash.

The state wouldn’t enforce the law, but the voters sure would.

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Just looked at the schedule. Wow! Who is going to stay all day and be bored to death? It’s going to take some committed atheists to do that. We’ll see how many are going to turn out on a rainy day. Thunderstorms predicted for DC tomorrow. Interesting.

BetseyRoss on March 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM

SauerKraut, if I were to say that I’m Queen Elizabeth II, the questions would be, who else says that’s who I am, and on what do they base that belief?

Since we can’t see into anyone’s soul to see if they truly are Christians, Matthew 7:16 says that “by their fruits you shall know them.” Galatians 5:22-23 explains that those fruits (works) are love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Sound like Hitler to you?

KyMouse on March 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I begrudge them nothing while it lasts. It’ll certainly beat skinny dipping in the Lake of Fire for eternity which is what they have to look forward to :-)

DaMav on March 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Tom Servo on March 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM

All that needs to be said.

Polynath on March 23, 2012 at 1:22 PM

These aren’t atheists, they’re merely anti-religionists.

Yes, there is a difference and it is significant.

An actual atheist doesn’t care a whit about the god-construct of others.

The moment they dis another’s construct, they lose the ability to claim atheism.

Jason Coleman on March 23, 2012 at 4:27 PM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I find it hilarious that you quote a guy claiming to understand and despise the evil represented by jews (that would be hitler) at the same time he’s claiming to do the work of Jesus Christ (you know, a jew), with a straight face.

hitler was no christian. hitler was a politician who knew he had to keep the people (not the jews obviously) on his side. Please tell me you don’t actually believe that monster’s claims about his, or anyone else’s, religion.

I couldn’t care less what you believe, or don’t believe. Trying to claim that hitler was just like me because you managed to dig up some self-contradicting statements he made harms your argument. If that’s the best you can do, perhaps you need a better argument.

runawayyyy on March 23, 2012 at 5:13 PM

SauerKraut537 on March 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Serving in elected office isn’t a “right”, and if you were a conservative as you claim, you’d know it. One of the key issues in politics today is the false liberal definition of “rights” (which you share).

joe_doufu on March 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Paul Fidalgo, communications director at the Center for Inquiry, said…

Inquiry into what? If you’re certain there’s nothing there…

Cleombrotus on March 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM