Bill Maher: Get off my back, America

posted at 8:46 pm on March 22, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’m torn. I could happily live another 10 lifetimes without having to deal with phony, politically calculated, outrageously outrageous outrage. Ann Romney, in fact, did an elegant job on CNN last night urging everyone (ahem, Newt) to lighten up over Robert DeNiro’s lame but innocuous joke about America’s white First Ladies.

Just one question: What makes Maher think the outrage in his case is phony?

When did we get it in our heads that we have the right to never hear anything we don’t like? In the last year, we’ve been shocked and appalled by the unbelievable insensitivity of Nike shoes, the Fighting Sioux, Hank Williams Jr., Cee Lo Green, Ashton Kutcher, Tracy Morgan, Don Imus, Kirk Cameron, Gilbert Gottfried, the Super Bowl halftime show and the ESPN guys who used the wrong cliché for Jeremy Lin after everyone else used all the others. Who can keep up?…

I have a better idea. Let’s have an amnesty — from the left and the right — on every made-up, fake, totally insincere, playacted hurt, insult, slight and affront. Let’s make this Sunday the National Day of No Outrage. One day a year when you will not find some tiny thing someone did or said and pretend you can barely continue functioning until they apologize…

I don’t want to live in a country where no one ever says anything that offends anyone. That’s why we have Canada. That’s not us. If we sand down our rough edges and drain all the color, emotion and spontaneity out of our discourse, we’ll end up with political candidates who never say anything but the safest, blandest, emptiest, most unctuous focus-grouped platitudes and cant. In other words, we’ll get Mitt Romney.

Someone on Twitter today (I forget who) summarized his op-ed here as “Bill Maher comes out against Media Matters’s very existence.”

I’ll give him this much. Part of the anger at his “jokes” about Palin and other women is, clearly, a reaction to the left generally rather than to him specifically. In that sense it is political, but not political in the cheap “pretend to be outraged to score a point” way. It’s sincere irritation at liberals once again presuming to lecture the right on propriety — here’s the latest on the Rush boycott, for instance — while they tolerate all manner of similar improprieties within their own ranks. (A textbook example is smearing tea partiers as violent radicals while whitewashing every last bit of OWS cretinism.) Maher is a target of opportunity to some extent because he just dropped a cool mil on Obama’s Super PAC, which they accepted without a second thought, so from his perspective the reaction may very well look contrived. Why, he’s been doing “c*nt” gags for years and only now, when dear Rush is threatened, is there a sustained outcry about it. Obvious fakery.

But it’s not fake. People have grumbled about him all along, as he’s no doubt well aware. There just hasn’t been any sustained attention to him because ultimately who cares? His job is to tell the left they’re superior to the right; he’s just a little nastier and a little more entertaining about it (emphasis on “a little”) than MSNBC is. To some extent, in fact, precisely because he’s a provocateur, getting too angry at him plays into his hands by stoking his self-styled image as a bad-boy truth-teller who knows how to wound the other side. No one wants to feed a preening troll by showing him how much he irritates you, so usually we all just grumble for a day and move on. Doesn’t mean the irritation’s not real, though, and it doesn’t mean that wearily letting him slide time after time somehow waives the right to revisit that sincerely-felt irritation later. And even if it should — even if he’s right that we should all just mellow out a little already — I’m not sure how we’re supposed to celebrate “the color, emotion and spontaneity … of our discourse” after the left’s post-Tucson hysteria last year over civility and rhetoric. Palin put out a midterm election map using crosshairs as a metaphor for “targeting” certain Democratic districts on election day and was basically accused of being an accessory to murder for it. No one’s going to care about the glories of colorful rhetoric the next time the opportunity arises to smear someone on the right for it. That’s not Maher’s fault, but it is what it is. Go figure that people can’t mellow out.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Little Biwwy got his feelings hurt ?

teacherman on March 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I can’t stand him. But I support totally his right to say whatever he wants to say. If people don’t want to hear it, don’t turn him on.
It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

He is getting attention and making money.

Living that American dream!

tom daschle concerned on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Ahem. (ratings. sshhh.)

BKeyser on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Once again, Maher makes it all about himself, when the outrage is directed at the Left and the media enablers for the double standard.

John the Libertarian on March 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Nope, you earned every bit of what you are getting, Maher. Reap what you sow, douchebag.

Bishop on March 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Ann Romney, in fact, did an elegant job on CNN last night

At first glance, I thought that was your cute new nickname for Ann Coulter.

calbear on March 22, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Fluke you maggot!

KOOLAID2 on March 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I cancelled HBO in 2004 just because of him.

I wonder how much I saved in eight years?

carbon_footprint on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

If people don’t want to hear it, don’t turn him on. It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You are absolutely correct!

And I’m just as free to quit buying the sponsors’ products and cancelling my HBO subscription.

belad on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Bill Maher calling Kirk Cameron insensitive?

That’s Barack Obama calling James Madison constitutionally ignorant.

itsnotaboutme on March 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Maher’s humor has never had a wide audience because it’s so smug and self-serving of his own political views. The last time I saw him do standup comedy was in the intro of Politically Incorrect. It fell so incredibly flat that then they interspersed his standup routine in between the guest/discussion segments. Those were also flat. You could hear the viewers clicking to another channel as he spoke. So he pretty much dropped his routines from that show, leaving the panel discussion format, which he still uses. I can’t imagine anyone paying to listen to his routine, unless they were diehard liberals looking for complete validation of their own views.

Paul-Cincy on March 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

for the left it’s a free country. free to say and do whatever the hell you want. for republicans/conservatives…not so much.

GhoulAid on March 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I will never again allow the left to have a double standard regarding slimey treatment of women, etc. We will push back and push back hard.

We are all Breitbart now. So in his good name, I say to Maher:

$UCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

So?

No one opposes that right (as applied to Maher).

itsnotaboutme on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Maher’s comments are self-serving as no less then The Washington Post pointed out in an editorial today.I’m sure Maher remembers the last time he was called out for inappropriate comments. That was the time he commented on the “bravery” of the terrorists who killed 3000 Americans on 9/11. Sponsor fled his show “Politically Incorrect” in droves and the show was eventually cancelled. I’m sure Maher thought the current controversy over his vile comments about Sarah Palin and her family would go away. Only he’s not getting the free pass liberals usually get and I’m enjoying watching him squirm.

Hera on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

You completely miss the point here.

Liberals and media tightly coordinate these OUTRAGE campaigns ( now against Rush ) to prop up obama and the democrat party.

The only way to beat them down is to counter OUTRAGE to expose the hypocrisy.

Maher is a direct link to Obama , so he’s the person to target.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

But what about the victims, Bill?

My collie says:

Where would you liberals be if there were no victims?

/mockery off

CyberCipher on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Team Obama will destroy this post……………

dmann on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

They can dish it out, but they certainly can’t take it. What a bunch of girly men.

rjh on March 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM

The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness doesn’t like it.

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, an “olive branch” like a Viet Cong cease fire.

And his case is in no way analogous to Limbaugh’s.

Plus, outrage is not “playacted hurt” at times, but a very appropriate response to something far over the line.

Ragspierre on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

By the way, I am switching to Uverse on Saturday from Comcast. I didn’t opt for the HBO package, so I can clearly email them and tell them I canceled their service because of Maher. I am also saving 50% on my tv and internet bill. I called comcast to see if they would counter the package, and nope, so I guess they want to lose their customers.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 8:58 PM

No hudna for you maher.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Bill Maher: Get off my back, America

Yeah? Get off my TV, ya big dope!!

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

It’s suppose to be a free country.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 8:49 PM

..tangential, but I gotta tell you this: I had the cable guy come over last week and after he got done diddling with my — er — box, he said, “Hey, I just turned HBO on for you” giving me a sly wink.

I took a look at the schedule, saw how many times they ran that idiot’s program per week (a-freaking-mazing!) and said to him, “Turn it off!”

The War Planner on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I could care less what Maher says. Yes, his comments are offensive, but I’m glad they are on display so the world can hear what liberal tolerance sounds like.

However, he’s delustional if he thinks we aren’t going to trot him out as an example of the left’s double standards while they are screeching about Limbaugh. If he wants it to stop he needs to tell his side to STFU. They took first blood.

Kataklysmic on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

One of these days I’m gonna borrow someone tv and watch this fellow…….Nah.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Million Dollar Baby…

d1carter on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

someone=someones

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Ah, can’t help myself here, Bill, let me give you a Hurtz Donut..Hurts, don’t it?!! That’s how juvenile, comical, and stupid I see all these liberal arguments/justifications they’re promoting for being the azzholes that they are. They really hate it when the tables are turned.

waterytart on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Ann Coulter’s ex boyfriend. Remember that when you hear her tell you that Romney is a conservative. The woman Fluked Maher. Now I need to go throw up after typing it.

angryed on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Let’s make this Sunday the National Day of No Outrage.

Nah.

Dash on March 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Try shutting up, Bill. Until then….we got your back and are all over it.

Hening on March 22, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Get off Sarah’s back and I’ll think about it, jackass.

PalinLover on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Yeah? Get off my TV, ya big dope!!

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Levin?

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

But it’s not fake.

oh but it is and you know it. I had never heard anything about that Sarah Palin joke until Bill gave a million bucks to Obama and I watch Bill and read Hot Air every week. But keep being intellectually dishonest so as not to totally alienate your right-wing buffoon readers, it’s what you do best.

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

“For example, I find Rush Limbaugh obnoxious, but I’ve been able to coexist comfortably with him for 20 years by using this simple method: I never listen to his program. The only time I hear him is when I’m at a stoplight next to a pickup truck.

He just had to get that dig in, before the “amnesty day” starts.

I think Bill harbors a deep fear of someday meeting Hank Williams,Jr. or Ted Nugent, in a dark alley.

Yoop on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Lame, pathetic, greasy, creepy, self-serving, cynical, etc., etc., etc.

Thank you for asking on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

As Breitbart iterated at C-PAC, we are fighting back. The Left doesn’t know how to process this.

SouthernGent on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You Libs started this stupid PC game. Now you reap what you sow.

Maher stops getting the heat once the 1 million is returned to him.

EMD on March 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Bill Maher: Get off my back, America

We’d love to climb on it Bill, if only there was a spine …

ShainS on March 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Did you hear Rush calling Fluke a Fluke until liberal MSM ran it’s outrage campaign?

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Bill, what’s the problem? It’s not like somebody’s calling you a c__t or a tw_t.

hepcat on March 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Any one who admits that calling someone the c-word gets the biggest laugh of his act tells you all you need to know about his comedic ability. Excellent summation of The Comic Genius That Is Bill Maher.

de rigueur on March 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM

buffoon

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Weak……

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Amazing what some serious push back will reveal about a lefty.

They’ve had the world’s stage with no rules…. until recently and what’s coming out is as ugly as what we’ve had to endure.

katy on March 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

SouthernGent on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Neither do Vichy republicans.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

SouthernGent on March 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

We need to turn it up to eleven. I want to DESTROY them.

hypothetically of course…

tom daschle concerned on March 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Conservatives don’t get outraged at the vile, sick nastiness belching from the likes of Bill Maher, partly because, if they did, they’d spend their lives in a state of permanent outrage. That hateful trash is so pervasive from the left that it’s best ignored.

And most conservatives I know have also adopted a “consider the source” mentality. Why be outraged at Bill Maher when you never had any reason to expect any better from our generation’s talentless Don Rickles wannabe? And Letterman’s just a taller, formerly-gap-toothed Bill Maher.

So, yeah, when we get roiled over Maher or Letterman, there’s some faux outrage going on, not because what they’ve said isn’t disgusting, but just because, what else would you expect from perverted, frustrated, drug-addled no-talent hacks like Maher or Letterman?

notropis on March 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Hosea 8:7

The Resolute Desk on March 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

ok so we are playing tit for tat whee what a fun game! with the marxist muslim in the white house on a quest to destroy america you would think right wingers would have bigger fish to fry…

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

he’s my neighbor, actually, but it just seemed like a perfect time for that line…

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I could care less what Maher says.
Kataklysmic on March 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Couldn’t care less.

angryed on March 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Say, Bill, if you want civility then try dishing some out, ok?

You can make jokes without being mean spirited about it.

And if you want to protect free speech, then howzabout telling your Lefty friends that shutting down speech is not the answer. Rush can and does stand up when those on the Left are attacked, but I’m not seeing much from you on that score. You don’t have to listen to him to say he has a right to speak and that if you have a beef with him, then keep it with him.

Plus clue in Colbert and Stewart that hiding behind ‘I’m just a comedian’ defense is cowardly and despicable… you are at least honest about your bias. That is a GOOD THING that honesty bit.

Now grow a spine and let that honesty go through your ENTIRE outlook, not just when you start to feel the pinch, yourself.

Humor with a civil tongue will be remembered and rewarded with grace and kindness. You don’t need a sharp tongue to demonstrate a sharp wit… and usually if your tongue is filled with venom your wit is absent. You may have noticed the decline in your audience as you put out more venom.

Time to grow a spine, oh wilting flour of venomous humor.

Put up.

Or shut up.

ajacksonian on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I question the timing. Someone’s bottom line is being impacted and Maher is having to answer for it. The runt’s running scared.

de rigueur on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

No, I don’t know it. My whole point is that people notice stuff like that but don’t always call him on it because he’s a troll and ultimately no one cares what he thinks. If you think that Palin joke is kosher, that’s on you. And nicely proves my point in the post about liberals, actually, so thanks.

If you don’t like the site, you’re free to leave at any time. No locks on these doors.

Allahpundit on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Awww Billy “Hair Plugs” Maher is getting back a little of what he spews. Plugs Maher is finding out the shit that flows out of his big,ignorant mouth doesn’t taste so good on the way back down or maybe the hair plugs are starting to take root in his tiny brain. See, vanity does have its drawbacks. Plugs Maher for Governor of Shit Town, USA!!

Tbone McGraw on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Demagoguery sadly works , thats why it has to be counterattacked.

This is the counterattack.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

angryed on March 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM

You’re right. Thanks for the reminder.

Kataklysmic on March 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

So, his outrageous outrage at other people’s outrageous outrage is authentic?

He wants an America that allows people to say what they want, but yet doesn’t want anyone being outraged at others for doing so.

The irony is about as thick as it can get with that line of thought.

ButterflyDragon on March 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hosea 8:7

The Resolute Desk on March 22, 2012 at 9:09 PM

excellent

tom daschle concerned on March 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Let’s make this Sunday the National Day of No Outrage.

But, Billy, doesn’t that violate your business model?

Knott Buyinit on March 22, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Bill Maher makes a career of sliming people but when the the microscope is put upon him all off a sudden he wants a moratorium on scrutiny.

Bleep him.
Let him be judged by his own standard.

NeoKong on March 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I don’t think so Bill…

… You had a big hand in being the chef of this sh%t sandwich.

Watching you having a hard time trying to choke it down is very rewarding…

Seven Percent Solution on March 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It’s so complicated. After all, that Marxist Muslim in the White House replaced the imbecilic war criminal and “SEElected but not EEElected” Chimpy McHitlerburton, who replaced the serial perjurer and adulterer, cocaine addict and smuggler of drugs through Mena, Arkansas, Slick Willie Clinton, who came after Silver-Foot-In-His-Mouth CIA spook and son of nazi sympathizer Herbert Bush, who followed the senile racist warmonger Ronald Ray-Gun.

And I could go back a lot farther.

notropis on March 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Allahpundit on March 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

oh but I really enjoy the site, it’s fascinating what comes out when you all talk amongst yourselves, the ignorance and prejudice just pours right out. Speaking of which, why is HA ignoring the biggest story of the moment, the Trayvon Martin case? I’m guessing it’s not because it’s not worth blogging about but because you know what you are going to hear, AP, and you know it’s not going to be pretty.

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Bill Maher has been all over the media with clips of his vile, disgusting remarks about Palin and Bachmann since this controversy broke out. If you can’t google to see the clips, go watch the opening of “The Undefeated”. The opening is chockfull of the extremely nasty, unrelenting, nasty things that the left said of Sarah, in THEIR OWN WORDS.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Goose

Gander

Karma.

Tim_CA on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Well played – apropos for Maher.

If I was his neighbor, maybe I’d hear him say “Get off my lawn you big dope!” :)

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

so, the ‘D’ in DBear — does that stand for ‘dousche’? or maybe ‘dique’? (Spelling intentional to game the filters…)

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Levin’s neighbor – NOT Maher’s. Yikes!

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

They are a whiney little bunch, the left.

bertielou on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The case where a latino shot a black teen?

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Maher tries to reclaim his libertarian credentials, when convenient. Next month they’ll be forgotten, again, until needed once again some time in the future.

farsighted on March 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Maybe — personally, I try to keep off my neighbors’ lawns because mine sucks so badly. I don’t have the OWS lawn-envy thing going…

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

And I could go back a lot farther.

notropis on March 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Did you forget the /s or are you off your meds?

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I can help you set up your own blog where you can talk about whatever you want.

No one will read it, but you wouldn’t be able to complain about the content.

tom daschle concerned on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Maybe you should watch CNN or MSNBC, they’re covering it 24/7.

idesign on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

incidentally – I was 22015 before I moved out here…

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Let’s make this Sunday the National Day of No Outrage.

I would be all-in for this, except… inevitably it will lead to the left playing “tag-you’re-it-no-tag-backs” with the right.

Glenn Jericho on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Did you forget the /s or are you off your meds?

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 9:30 PM

It’s not sarcasm, it’s just re-hashing what the worst of each side has been calling the other, for quite a while (since at least Adams and Jefferson, actually).

You may find more truth in some of the charges than in others – I know I do – but that wasn’t the point of the comment.

notropis on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

You completely miss the point here.

The only way to beat them down is to counter OUTRAGE to expose the hypocrisy.

Maher is a direct link to Obama , so he’s the person to target.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yes because the way to stop society from being politically correct scum, drudging up soundbites of people you don’t agree with and most likely don’t watch, and trying to destroy their ability to make a living (Stalinist Democracy), is to be a politically correct scum drudging up soundbites to destroy someone’s ability to make a living. Great logic. What’s the point of winning if you become them? I am sick of the outrage too, let ratings decide if they should be on air, if people actually want to watch it, not how many fake letters, phonecalls, and emails you send.

LevStrauss on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Of course, every leftist outrage will be proven, somehow, to justified and principled.

sistrum on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

AWWWWWWWWWW. Tell ya’ what, when you get off your knees we’ll get off your back. mkay c____.

antipc on March 22, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No, you spoke up far too late and will certainly not dial your vile spew back one iota in the coming year. Demand your check back and we’ll talk.

thebrokenrattle on March 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I hope we stay on his back until his career breaks.

Maher dishes out but can’t take it.

Sherman1864 on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

notropis on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I missed the point.

karenhasfreedom on March 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

WAR!

redridinghood on March 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’d have more sympathy for his point but…uh… what does he think his million dollars is going to go for?

Skywise on March 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Cool – we used to be neighbors – kind of…

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

22044 on March 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

That was my guess — a little farther west now, but still in the area…

affenhauer on March 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM

The man who thinks the jihadis who sucker punched America and killed 3,000 people on 9/11 were courageous?

Dry up and blow away, c*nt.

profitsbeard on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

LevStrauss on March 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Clueless you miss the cause and effect here , media is a totally integrated liberal demagoguery machine.
They attack Rush to prop up Obama , the counterattack is to force them to live by their own rules exposing their hypocrisy.
Then that could stop their one sided games by deterrence, or at least balance the propaganda.
Maher isn’t an innocent person trying to “make a living”, he’s part of the machine.

the_nile on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

To the few people who quoted me above.
I agree with your rights to not buy from his sponsors and not watch his show and all the rest of that.

I’ve been getting a few of these emails and facebook things from friends who want Maher fired. I just don’t support that anymore than I would against Rush.
Expose the hypocrisy all day long. It needs to be exposed. Pressure Obama to return the money, but he’s not going to.
But I don’t want any part of stopping or limiting anyone’s speech. That doesn’t mean I want to sit around while the left attacks talk radio, either.

I am just so sick of all this crap over speech. Let people say whatever they want whenever they want. Let people make the products they want to make, sell the products they want to sell, build where they want to build, worship how they want to worship, read what they want to read.
We don’t need liberal censors and I don’t want conservative religious ones either.

If you really want to clean up TV, make it cheap and easy for anyone to create their own networks and start broadcasting out of their backyard or garage.
If you really hate how corporations are controlling our lives, make it cheap and easy to start your own business. One small businesses is no threat to a large corporation, but a thousand trying to take their customers is!
If you hate the auto industry, make it cheap and easy for anyone to build and market a car.

The answer to almost everything is more freedom. Not less.
Let the scumbags say whatever they want. If you don’t like it, shout about the hypocrisy of it all, don’t buy from their sponsors, start a boycott of you want, don’t watch it but don’t try to get them fired. If nobody watches them, they’ll be fired.

JellyToast on March 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Trolling, trolling, trolling…

Ah, what the hell… One guy shoots and kills another guy and that’s the “biggest story of the moment”?

Ten people were murdered in Chicago over the weekend and there were about 50 shootings. Little or no national coverage.

Oh, but I forgot the important part of the “biggest story of the moment”. In this one isolated incident one guy was non-white and, allegedly, completely innocent of anything and everything and the other was a white guy who, allegedly, shot and killed the other guy for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than he was non-white. Al Sharpton is rushing to the scene as we speak. Jesse Jackson is slipping. In the past he would be there before Sharpton.

I’m so glad Obama was elected, ushering in the post-racial era in America. Imagine what would happen because of this this isolated incident if not for that.

farsighted on March 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Oh you really told him a thing or two. He will be ruined.

Bmore on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 PM

DBear on March 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Awww did someone’s Klan meeting get out early after not getting elected Kleagle? Aww puddin you really should get someone to change your diaper before you interact with the adults. Do you cockroaches ever get tired of playing the race card? If your party cared so much about minorities why are you unemploying them in record numbers?

So genius what do you want to say about the Martin case shine us with some of that “intelligence” of yours.

bbinfl on March 22, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You know, considering all the cr@p this guy and his leftist buddies have gotten away with over the years, followed by their shocked (shocked!) outcry at Rush, I find it oddly satisfying to hear this little d*ck whining at the unwelcome attention he is receiving.

Too bad, Billy. You can hand it out by the gallon, but taking the blowback is another story, huh?

Suck it, cfeep.