U.K. schools to kids: No best friends for you!

posted at 6:35 pm on March 21, 2012 by Tina Korbe

“Best friend bans” — apparently, they’re a thing.

Educational psychologist Gaynor Sbuttoni said the policy has been used at schools in Kingston, South West London, and Surrey.

She added: “I have noticed that teachers tell children they shouldn’t have a best friend and that everyone should play together.

“They are doing it because they want to save the child the pain of splitting up from their best friend. But it is natural for some children to want a best friend. If they break up, they have to feel the pain because they’re learning to deal with it.”

Russell Hobby, of the National Association of Head Teachers, confirmed some schools were adopting best-friend bans.

He said: “I don’t think it is widespread but it is clearly happening. It seems bizarre.

“Bizarre” is putting it mildly. All I can think of are my first few years of elementary school, during which I read and re-read Maud Hart Lovelace’s Betsy-Tacy books and longed to have a best friend, just as Betsy had Tacy. (By the way, if you have an elementary-school-age daughter and she doesn’t already own them, buy her those books!) For a few years, I wasn’t at all successful in my search. In the second grade, I cried when two close friends exchanged “Best Friends” necklaces with each other. I thought, if I wasn’t best friends with one of them, they were at least no closer to each other than I was to each of them. Another two of my friends had custom matching pillowcases that featured a printed picture of the two of them. At the tender age of seven, I was sure I’d be best-friendless for life. So, I learned to rely on myself and my very active imagination — and, lo and behold, the very next year, I did make a best friend. Years later, I met my fiancé at that friend’s wedding — but, in the intervening years, we each had other best friends. As an adult, I’ve had fruitful friendships and friendships that fade. It’s all just a part of life, right?

Children have made and lost friends for at least as long as children have had leisure time to play with one another — and probably before that. Those who learn to cope with imperfect friendships early in life are better equipped to handle the imperfect friendships that inevitably come later. (Besides, what friendship is perfect?) Does that mean I wish for every child to experience a falling out with a friend? Not necessarily — but it should be noted that fights often bring friends closer together in the end. Also, a life artificially sanitized of all friend-related disappointment sounds a little, well, artificially sanitized. And who wants that?

Comments

Yes, they should all play together. Unless they’re Joooz.

Rixon on March 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

The left becomes an even bigger parody of itself by the day.

alchemist19 on March 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Europe is gone.

The whole thing will be back in a 7th century Dark Age under it’s barbarian muslim master within 10 years.

Visit the landmarks NOW if you can afford to. A Christian won’t be able to 10 years from now.

wildcat72 on March 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

O/T,another 6.7 just hit NEW GUINEA, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
******************************************************

canopfor on March 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Individualism must die. Long live the Collective.

RickB on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

i am so sorry to have to do this:

Feelings
Nothing more than feelings,
Trying to forget my feelings of love

Teardrops,
Rolling down on, my face
Trying to forget my, feelings of love

For all my life I’ll feel it
I’ll wish I’ve never met you, girl
You’ll never come again

Again in my heart

Feelings like I’ve lost you
And feelings like I’ve never have you
[. From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/a/albert-morris-lyrics/feelings-lyrics.html .]
Again in my heart.

For all my life I’ll feel it
I wish I’ve never met you, girl
You’ll never come again

Feelings like I’ve lost you
And feelings like I’ve never have you
Again in my life.

Again in my heart

GhoulAid on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Speaking of Children,in France!

Update:
*******

3 explosions heard outside Toulouse, France, apartment building where suspected gunman holed up

Submitted 1 min ago
============================

canopfor on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

At least we’ll have a preview to see the train wreck we’re headed for.

If you like Britain, you’ll love New America.

Speakup on March 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Who needs a best friend when the State loves us and takes care of us and tells us what to think?

The Computer Government is my friend.

Stay alert!
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!

(at lest the Computer was opposed to commiemutanttraitorscum, so it at least had that going for it…)

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

It could be worse, they could not just eliminate free market best friends, but instead they could implement government mandated and assigned best friends, ensuring diversity and friendship redistribution.

rw on March 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Only groups will do.

Just like “A Clockwork Orange”. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

cozmo on March 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

This your liberal socialist infection, coming to a neighborhood near you.

Rovin on March 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Wonderful, even more social engineering to secure the power of the state — directed at kids. Disgusting.

Axion on March 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Welcome to the Collective States of Amerika.

LizardLips on March 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

They do this in schools here already.

JennM111 on March 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

==========================================================

Well,sure smacks of Social Engineering to me,and a h*lluva way
for young skulls full of mush to be prepared later in life with
various social contacts!!

canopfor on March 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

A rule made by people who never could get anyone to be their friend.

LegendHasIt on March 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

A direct product of the school as sociology method now taught at educational universities. There was a time, merely 30 years ago, when teacher majored in a disciple and then taught the same. Now we have teacher who get degrees in teaching but are incompetent in the subject matter. To add icing to the cake, they take 4 years of sociological babble, gender rights, America hatred, group rights, ethnic behavioral norms, and drug administration for nonconforming children. Instead of math, English, or history.

pat on March 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

It’s easier for two to conspire against the peoples revolution and keep it secret. Larger groups can’t keep any secrets. That’s also why children must spy on their parents.

RBMN on March 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Good post, Tina. Another example of Nanny Statism trying to force people into the mold of their concept of Utopia. As other said, it is stamping out individualism. We are individuals and we make friends with individuals according to individual likes, dislikes, experiences, etc.

Everyone is imperfect. Some folks are certainly more reliable than others, but we’ve all made blunders and messed up some relationships and hurt other people. Kids need to grow in their own relationship skills of reconciliation and appreciation.

INC on March 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

“Bizarre” is putting it mildly.

I’d call it “evil”. To even try to mold individuals in this manner, against normal behavior, is beyond reprehensible.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Allah.?..

Whew! Tina.

Fallon on March 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

The Computer is my friend.

Stay alert!
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Loved that game, the height of beer and pretzel RPGs.

kenashimame on March 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

INC on March 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Amen!

Speaking as someone who did not have childhood best friends (and always longed for them), this best friend ban is just plain awful. Every human being has a need to connect with others who share common interests and love and accept them. This social engineering project, if successful, would deprive children of the stabilizing influences that help them to become fully functional members of society– talk about isolation and existentialist angst!

One would expect more dysfunction from the prevention of close friendships than from close friendships. There have always been and will always be “mean kids” and no amount of intrusion by 3rd party adults will prevent that. Essential character development is dependent on the home.

Having said that, I doubt the efficacy of the project. Teachers might break up connections in the classroom, but can’t prevent the formation of bonds, in or out of the school environment.

obladioblada on March 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Individualism must die. Long live the Collective.

RickB on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

We are the Borg. We will add our technological and biological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us.

Resistance is futile.

eva3071 on March 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

“Bizarre” is putting it mildly.

Might I suggest that all of these so-called “educators” be sent to the island of Gruinard. It’s right off the coast of Scotland.

GarandFan on March 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

What is the reward for telling a teacher about secret liaisons between your fellow second graders?

Will they be sent to Room 101?

pedestrian on March 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

And in the future, when these little Guinea pigs have grown up into teenagers who feel even more isolated and alone, these “concerned” psychologists will be wondering why the suicide rate has “oddly” doubled.

dominigan on March 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

What’s the point of these “man bites dog” tabloid posts about bizarre policies carried out in some random place or another — in this case, not even in the U.S.? The underlying article makes clear that the policies in question are unusual and considered strange even in England. Is anyone in the U.S. advocating or defending them? Let’s stick to politics rather than this kind of dreck, please.

cam2 on March 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

cam2 on March 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Because sooner or later the SCOTUS cites them as justification for eliminating one of our rights.

pedestrian on March 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM

They are attempting to stop children from experiencing life, warts and all… There is pain in parting, pain in many things, you learn to adapt, learn to cope with your other flawed and frail human companions.. and you learn to live..

They are learning to merely exist.

That’s not enough.. to live, is to be vulnerable to the p[ain of empathy, the caring for someone more than yourself, you learn love. To strip children of experiencing close friendships because they MIGHT get hurt, is to skip the most vital human lesson of all, empathy. They’re teaching these kids, not to care, for fear of loss. They teach them to be sociopaths, uncaring little self contained bots,..

We all experience pain, emotional, pyhsical,.. it’s not pain itself, but how we deal with it that truly transforms the ordinary into the remarkable. Pain,. is a terrible thing, but there are worse.. I’ve felt more than I care too, but what I take from that is insight, into my own flaws, my own character, and the empathy to reach out to others to help, to share.. You can learn to be self contained, purely envolved in your own well being only…

not how I want to live.. because it’s just existing, passing through without leaving so much as a whisper or footprint to mark your passing. I know, that lives that touch mine, matter to me.

they should.. and this is where that school fails.

mark81150 on March 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Dodge ball = banned!
Best friends = banned!

Progs just can’t allow kids feelings to be hurt. It’s unfair! That’s why we now have multiple valedictorians as well. Progress!

visions on March 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

They want to sexualize the kid at the earliest possible age, but they want to deny them the non-sexual intimacy of friendship.

This is not just bizzarre. It is sick and diabolical. The only time a schole should discourage a friendship is when it’s leading the kids involved to actually misbehave.

Read what C.S. Lewis writes about friendship in The Four Loves. I suspect that many of the people involved here never had a real friend, and those who did and who persist are complicit in evil.

njcommuter on March 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You win the obscure comment of the day award!

I still have that game in a closet somewhere. I think I’ll go look for it.

rihar on March 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

U.K. schools to kids: No best friends for you!

The “People’s Socialist Republic” at its finest!

MaiDee on March 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM

No best friends for you!

New character for a re-imagined Seinfeld – works in a school guidance office.

eeyore on March 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

cam2 on March 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

You are quite free to not click on any topic that offends your delicate sensibilities.

At least for a while.

LegendHasIt on March 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Socialism at it’s worst…..but wait whats social about banning friends?

TX-96 on March 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM

…My best friends (I have two) have saved my life more times than I can even count. They’ve been there for me thick and thin, rain or shine, good times and bad.

The government wants my friends? Smeg them. They can have my friends when they take them from my cold, dead fingers.

Because without my friends, I’d die of sadness, loneliness, and a lack of random.

…I think this school is run by Umbridge.

The Computer Government is my friend.

Stay alert!
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Paranoia???

You are

LunaLovegood on March 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Human Nature-1
Socialism-0

vityas on March 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Just another step on the road to eliminating all one-on-one personal relationships, the goal being eliminating marriage – at least in its exclusionary heterosexual monogamistic form. (Might as well throw in anachronistic and paternalistic as well.) Next up, eliminate parent-child relationships – too exclusionary as well. All in the name of “saving pain.”

Marcola on March 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Next:
Ban them from sleeping so they don’t have bad dreams.

Ban them from living with their parents so they never have to experience the hurt feelings that come with being disciplined.

Ban them from having pets, because pets do die.

Ban them from riding on bicycles so they never have to experience the pain of falling down.

Ban them from playing games so they never have to experience the disappointment of losing.

albill on March 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

…I think this school is run by Umbridge….

LunaLovegood on March 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

LOL. Good call, Luna.

INC on March 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

njcommuter on March 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

It’s been a while, but I remember Lewis said something about friends facing life together.

albill on March 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Memories:

When I was about nine, a friend and I were sent outside the room for talking. I was mortified because it was the first time it had happened to me. My friend eased my feelings by saying, don’t worry, I’ve been sent outside plenty of times. In high school I was over at her house, dyeing my costume for the senior play in their bathtub. (I hope all that navy dye didn’t leave a mark! :) )

After school & summers with other friends climbing a massive oak and marking out limbs as goals to move higher. Riding bikes all over. Learning to dance. Having a friend teach me to drive stick shift with her little VW bug.

Etc., etc., etc.

INC on March 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

They are not doing this to try to spare the child the pain of breaking up with their best friend. They are doing it to foster collectivism.

Years ago, Marxists like Bill Ayers and his ilk stopped blowing up buildings and went into education in their quest to impose communism on the world using stealth maneuvers and deceit. They believe they will be able to indoctrinate human nature out of the young and turn them into good little communists.

Cara C on March 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Next step, banning teenagers from having boyfriends or girlfriends because they should all like each other equally.

Or banning husbands and wives because everyone should have an equal emotional connection with everyone else.

It’s not just bizarre, it’s antithetical to anything sociology tells us. Quite literally anything.

solatic on March 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

They’re doing their best to screw up the socialization of kids, from preschool all the way thru graduate school. You can’t walk to school on your own, your parents can’t spank you, organized sports activities preclude getting a neighborhood game together, you can’t pack your own lunch, don’t bully or call anyone a bad name, definitely don’t call anyone a sissy as that’s gay-bashing, tow the liberal line to placate your liberal professors from high school through college. Be politically correct in college, or if you join the military, be politically correct there.

Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

cam2 on March 21

You mean like banning happy meals or denying donated food to the homeless because it’s unhealthy? You don’t think that the liberals in this country aren’t looking at this and thinking how good it would be if this country had this same policy.
“It’s in another country, that could never happen here.” I’m sure that is what the Jews in Poland thought about what was going on in Germany during the second world war (and no, I am not saying that these two situations are the same, it’s just an analogy).

bandutski on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Tina Korbe has a terrible habit of finding some obscure thing going on in the country or around the world and pitching a fit over it as if it were representative of huge swaths of influential people. A perfect case in point is that post from a few days ago about the woman that supposedly loves abortion. It’s a big country and a big world. You are going to find individuals and organizations that are outliers or just plain crazy, and recognized as such by nearly everyone. It’s really dishonest to find these obscure, isolated behaviors and then cry about the liberal bogeymen that are out to get you. I wish someone at Hot Air would find some outrage over Trayvon Martin. If you want a real societal problem, look no further.

Alpha_Male on March 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

We are one in all and all in one.
There are no men but only the great WE,
One, indivisible and forever.

- Mediocrity 5-84636

affenhauer on March 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

What next – taking them from their parents at birth and raising them in creches?

YehuditTX on March 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

“Best friend bans” — apparently, they’re a thing.

No they’re not, so why are you writing about them?

Alpha_Male on March 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

bandutski on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

“Then they came for the best friends, and I … I thought, WTF? Are you effing KIDDING me? I can’t have a best friend? Is this effing Germany in the 40s, Russia in the 50s, China in the 60s, or Cambodia in the 70s? You’ve GOT to be kidding me.”

Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

In order to really love or like, you have to be able to risk the pain of loss. Those who never learn how to endure pain, frustration, or failure or more apt to have to turn to alcohol, drugs, or other destructive behavior in order to cope. They have no way of knowing that it is possible to endure these things and move on after a time. Kids learn so much from having a best friend it is criminal to discourage them from doing sol.

lukjuj on March 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM

it’s about destroying local community bonds, local control and initiative, intimacy and trust. All tyrannies do this, some of them by literally forcing you to turn in or even kill your parents or children, forcing you to live in communes, arranging your breeding. All alliegance should flow upward to the State, but never laterally human to human. That’s how you control people. It becomes impossible to think your own thoughts, because you have no more individuality. You can’t defend your family or your neighborhood or your tribe against the State, because all those bonds have deliberately been destroyed.

What the hell is the matter with England? One of the last places I would expect to go in this direction. Although Orwell was English and he saw it happening to the intellectuals of his time, who he had no respect for.

YehuditTX on March 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

No they’re not, so why are you writing about them?
Alpha_Male on March 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Why do you keep reading about them?

LegendHasIt on March 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I knew that I read about schools banning friends before. For those who say it cann’t happen in the U.S.

RickB on March 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Individualism must die. Long live the Collective.

RickB on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

1) “Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!”

2) Which Collectivist said it…

ITguy on March 21, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Yeah, lets save them some pain by inflicting a life full of misery.

Maybe they should try to spare them the pain of living in a socialist utopia filled with stupid teachers and idiotic government regulations.
I remember reading a year ago or so how some UK police set of a sting operation, complete with surveillance helicopters and SWAT…following some woman in a car driving to work. Her offense? She was eating an apple. Didn’t have two hands on the steering wheel which I guess is a crime over there.

The war on intelligence and common sense just goes on and on until one day it all collapses.

JellyToast on March 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

lobotomy4life = not affected!

KOOLAID2 on March 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

this is crazy!!! how can teachers interfere with kids’ friendship habits? that is none of their business!!

kids will take this ban really hard- for them, having a best friend is serious business. i remember my elementary school best friend ;__; so many good times together!! (then we went to different schools after elementary… but now she’s still my facebook friend =D )

and groups aren’t always good. groups can lead to cliques. what will teachers do if the kids all form cliques… they will tell everyone to scatter and find new friends or something? how much more will teachers mess with kids’ friendships?

Sachiko on March 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM

LOL. Good call, Luna.

INC on March 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Educational Decree # 423: Pupils are not allowed to have Best Friends, unless they’re part of the Inquisitorial Squad.

…Umbridge is scary. She’s PINK fascism. With cats.

LunaLovegood on March 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

raising them in creches?

YehuditTX on March 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Everyone belongs to everyone else.

O brave new world, that has such people in’t!

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You’ll never come again

Feelings like I’ve lost you
And feelings like I’ve never have you
Again in my life.

Again in my heart

GhoulAid on March 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Okay. But now I must link to this.

Goldenavatar on March 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

It’s all for the convenience of the teachers.

Fleuries on March 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM

This is so that when they get chosen for the Hunger Games, they won’t have to kill their best friend.

BDavis on March 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Of all the things that traumatized us in grade school, they decide to ban best friends?

LOOOOO-sers.

J.E. Dyer on March 21, 2012 at 11:14 PM

…and that everyone should play together.

You mean like street gangs?

RMCS_USN on March 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

YehuditTX on March 21, 2012 at 7:55 PM

They don’t seem to be trying anymore. I mean they aren’t sitting down with pencils and paper at the kitchen table anymore. They’re just doing now. It’s becoming knee-jerk, like an instinct.

Creepier and creepier.

Axe on March 22, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I’m working in London for a few weeks right now. It’s amazing the amount of pro-Muslim propaganda around here. The British Museum just finished a special exhibition on the Hajj and how awesomely awesome it is. The posters are still all over town. It really is crazy around here: http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/hajj.aspx

Last time I was here was two years ago, and there was nothing like this.

mojojojo on March 22, 2012 at 5:15 AM

rw on March 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM

LOL!

MJBrutus on March 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM

“Best friend bans” — apparently, they’re a thing.

No they’re not, so why are you writing about them?

Alpha_Male on March 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

One speculative quote, no evidence but still a neat hook for a slow news day. I actually like Tina’s more personal style but when she edges towards this going to hell in a handcart schtick all it does is bring out the endoftheworld brigade who always lurk around the edges at HA and fantasise about “socialist” policies.
FYI I have five delightful g’children who are all in different UK schools and the main staple of their conversation is about their friendships both the making and the breaking.
Almost all parents and teachers get involved in the fall out when best friendships go sour. I would bet that most of us then advise the child to maintain a wider circle of friends to avoid the emotional dependence associated with one other person – which is really the basis of the original quotation….

callingallcomets on March 22, 2012 at 7:08 AM

I love how liberals paint conservatives and bobbleheads and robots. No creativity, humorless, all the same etc.

Man is there a liberal mold or what. And its spreading.

We are going to need a bigger hammer.

RutRoh on March 22, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Tina Korbe has a terrible habit of finding some obscure thing going on in the country or around the world and pitching a fit over it as if it were representative of huge swaths of influential people….. You are going to find individuals and organizations that are outliers or just plain crazy, and recognized as such by nearly everyone. It’s really dishonest to find these obscure, isolated behaviors and then cry about the liberal bogeymen that are out to get you. I wish someone at Hot Air would find some outrage over Trayvon Martin. If you want a real societal problem, look no further.

Alpha_Male on March 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

This policy is in place in multiple schools. A lot of people have to sign off on this sort of idiocy before it is put in place. It is not just the work of one rogue individual.

Regarding the fact that it is happening in a foreign country – leftists frequently look to the failing socialist states of Europe as their inspiration. This sort of idiocy crosses national boundaries quite quickly.

Which brings us to the Trayvon Martin case. You are guilty of exactly what you accuse us of, namely taking the actions of one isolated, rogue individual and turning it against an entire society. Yes, you are correct, it was a tragedy. But if you read the article that you linked, you would see that the shooter was told to back off by his dispatcher, which would make him an example of that rogue individual (not a “societal problem”). By the way, it looks like the investigation into the shooting is continuing, and the accused is under the presumption of innocence until the facts can be established.

SubmarineDoc on March 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM

“Oceana has never been best friends with Eastasia.”

Akzed on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

This has less to do with the fear kids might be emotionally hurt by losing a best friend, and more to do with the Nanny State crowd’s endless desire to undermine significant personal relationships…thus making the Nanny State easier to force on the people.

They’ve already undermined the parent-child relationship. They are working tirelessly on the marital relationship and the nuclear family. Now they’re working on basic, normal friendships and the basic, normal ebb-and-flow of such relationships (all under the guise of protecting kids emotionally).

Deep, emotional, committed relationships rooted in selfless love and selfless loyalty are a threat to the Nanny State.

englishqueen01 on March 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I am not sure this is a conspiracy, Yes, they do push group work everywhere today, but a little pair of inseperables in your classroom is hard for teachers. Teacher’s don’t have time to spend reasoning with them why they have to give other kids a turn, get in other groups, I don’t think it is political, I think it is practical and gives teachers the say so with parents. Parents are difficult, even the good ones. They save seats when you tell them to sit where they are. They lose their individuality to the “couple” that they are, my complaint against group work. I hope they are not saying they can’t have best friends at home, how can you decree that?

Fleuries on March 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM

They’re doing their best to screw up the socialization of kids,…
Paul-Cincy on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

But, somehow, homeschoolers are the ones constantly being derided about “socialization”. Huh.

GWB on March 22, 2012 at 10:06 AM

…they’re learning to deal with it…

And let’s not forget, that’s an important thing for them to learn to deal with. By preventing this kind of learning, they’re only stunting the kids’ emotional growth. Do you really want to wait until they’re in high school before they start learning to deal with these kinds of things?

taznar on March 22, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Another chapter is preventing children from learning to cope with LIFE. And we wonder how OWS happened? Way to go trying to enforce some social engineering!
On a side note, I’m still friends with my bestie whom I met on the first day of kindergarten 32 years ago.

RadioAngel on March 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I think I would learn that you need to be completely compatible with everyone else, and not form attachments with anyone that might go away or do something offensive to you. Umm….would that apply to my marriage?

dahni on March 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

“Oceana has never been best friends with Eastasia.”

Akzed on March 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM

You are giving me some very interesting ideas, friend. VERY interesting ideas, indeed.

…I’m imagining them as little kids now. Poor Oceania is probably a specky, scrawny nerd.

LunaLovegood on March 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Oh WOW, “socializing” justice. Redistributive relationships? What’s next? If they can tell you who your friends can be can they tell you who to have sex with?

babylonandon on March 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM