Tom Hanks: Let me go ahead and specifically apologize to Bill O’Reilly too

posted at 10:40 pm on March 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

Man, he’s really owning up to old transgressions that really weren’t his fault. What’s next? An apology for “Bosom Buddies”?

Don’t even mention “Larry Crowne,” though. There aren’t enough synonyms for “remorse” in English to fully make amends.

“I used Bill O’Reilly as the punch line of an uncomfortable joke that was hardly funny and [was] unfair,” Hanks emailed The Daily Caller.

“I have no reason to think Mr. O’Reilly would have found both the reason for the joke nor my use of it funny in any way,” said Hanks, whose blackface skit surfaced in a video posted by TheDC on Monday…

“I accept his apology — everybody makes mistakes,” O’Reilly told TheDC. “I don’t think that Hanks had anything [in mind] other than trying to get a wise-guy line off. … I don’t hold it against him.”…

When asked about his attributing the “hideously offensive” routine to O’Reilly, Hanks responded that “I regret the cheap shot.”

Like I said last night, Hanks is far enough down the insensitivity spectrum on this incident that there are two arguments against him. One is the standard tu quoque that a conservative in the same position wouldn’t be forgiven. Which is true enough; there’s no way around that, although it’s an indictment of the left generally, not Hanks personally. The more personal indictment is guilt by association, the idea that maybe Hanks’s passivity vis-a-vis blackface guy is due to some secret racist attitude he harbors. I don’t buy that. Apart from the O’Reilly line in the clip, which looked like his attempt to play the whole awkward thing off, he seemed to deal with it mainly by avoiding the guy and going on with the show. He would have been within his rights to call him out but the “let me just ignore the embarrassing idiot in my midst” response is a human reaction. Not the most righteous one, granted, but not proof of ill intent either, which is the ultimate question.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think Tom Hanks never got over loosing his best friend…Wilson.

Electrongod on March 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Losing an intellectual equal can damage a man for life…

Hog Wild on March 22, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I see “STORIES” of this kind and think, really … we’re this sensitive?

Their must be a banned word/action list compiled by the former soviet union and nazi Germany that we can adapt to our Orwellian/Rand train wreck in order save our society from all of these awkward moments.

kregg on March 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Rightwingers now want to be mock the PC police?

liberal4life on March 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Fixed for you… and it’s not anything new.

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 11:07 PM

You are kind’a right… Nothing new. We (the right) have been pointing out the hyper-hypocrisy of the left for many years. In fact, one of the defining reasons that the left disgusts me is their absolute blindness to their own mega-hypo leaders. Easiest one to point out? The Al Gore carbon big foot and mouth… CO2 hypocrisy.

RalphyBoy on March 22, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Stupid is as stupid Does.

Like a Coach says in the movie.

He’s just a local idiot.

roflmao

donabernathy on March 22, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Every time an actor opens their mouth to speak their mind, someone should remind them what they do for a living, and where.

RalphyBoy on March 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

True. They make a lot of money pretending well.
For them, unicorn farts are real.

ProfShadow on March 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I don’t give a crap about his bad acting or his stupid rich-guy behavior. He and his idiot liberal friends made up the rules that are causing him problems right now, not us.

I blame him for using fame, enormous wealth, and his media leverage to promote propaganda for his 7th Grader political viewpoints. He’s an idiot.

Jaibones on March 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

This.

And how about that Lt. Dan? Proof that not everyone is a hopeless retard in Hollywood.

RepubChica on March 22, 2012 at 8:22 AM

It must really irk Obama that the narrator of his Riefhenstahlian magnum opus has to go on the hated Fox News to apologize for essentially narrating a blackface skit.

This PR catastrophe brought to you by the Conservative Media, not the MSM, and showcased with klieg lights by Fox News.

EMD on March 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM

RalphyBoy on March 21, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Perhaps if Tom Hanks was only an actor, but he’s not, he’s a director, producer, and a business man. He’s tried the aw shucks, I’m just an actor line, to get out of crap he’s said in the past, about Americans who served in the Pacific during WWII. Hanks based his comment that fighting the Japanese was because of racism. Hanks based that opinion on some plaque in a museum he read about the Pacific theater, in New Orleans. Hanks thought that was an edgy comment, to hump his Pacific series on HBO. I make it a point not to watch anything he’s in or produces, since he called my father and his siblings racist, and all other Americans who fought in the Pacific in WWII.

I think Tom Hanks is a Hollywood boob, and it’s too bad, I used to be a big fan. I like his son Colin Hanks, he was in a sitcom for Fox, cops in Dallas, it was pretty good, too bad it got canceled.

Dr Evil on March 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Another clown with talent for make believe, apparently not much else.

StevC on March 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM

How can any conservative put money in the pockets of liberal entertainers by supporting their movies at the box office or purchasing tickets for their comedy shows or music concerts? It just doesn’t make sense and I think it is a betrayal to one’s conservative principals to do so.

Why would any conservative purchase a ticket to see a movie starring Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Robert De Niro or George Clooney? Why would any conservative purchase a ticket to hear John Mellencamp or the Dixie Chicks or other liberal musicians in concert? Why would anyone purchase a ticket to see the gestures and hear the filth coming from the liberal comedians?

I dare say that any liberal entertainer would spit in the face of a conservative if there were no fear of retribution. These are not nice people. They may make good films and music, but there are many other ways to spend one’s time without supporting these ignorant, self-righteous morons.

The very core belief of these people is to make as much money as possible, live in a life of luxury and fame, and to hold on to every dime they make. Nothing wrong with that except conservative should be the ones to give up their wealth to the unfortunate according to liberal dogma. These “entertainers” want to vilify the very same people that worship and support them if they happen to be conservatives. They are of the same cloth as Obama and that is a very scary thought.

All are free to do as they wish, but my consensus is that one who professes to be a true conservative is a phony if they knowingly support any liberal of any profession.

metroryder on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

metroryder on March 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Because maybe some conservatives enjoy good movies and good music?
But at least now you don’t have to feel so bad about taking in a David Mamet play.

verbaluce on March 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

rik on March 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM

How do you know how she tastes?

/sarc

PJ Emeritus on March 22, 2012 at 10:49 AM

The first season of Bosom Buddies was classic “men dress up in drag” humor and funny stuff. If he has to apologize, its for the second season.

GadsdenRattlers on March 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

The dry cleaning establishment in liberal land must be doing a bang up business lately, what with all of ‘em trying to clean off all the sh!t that’s splattered back on them since we decided not to suffer in silence any more. There’s a lot to be said about taking the high road, however, every once in a while, we need to get down and “get in their faces” as well.

waterytart on March 22, 2012 at 12:14 PM

If NOT apologizing for Bachelor Party is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

This cinematic tour de force contains my absolute favorite movie line of all time:

I hope you die, you bastard!

juanito on March 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Hanks sucks SO BAD that I will not allow my family to buy ANY media that he is in.

I’ll bet that he supports RonMe too. /s

DannoJyd on March 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

An actor apologizing to a loud mouth talk show host is real newz!!!!!

joey24007 on March 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I can’t help but respect that, even though I’m not all that fond of Hanks. I wish others would do this in similar situations instead of trying to make the whole thing into a game.

Esthier on March 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM