Oh no: Tebow going to Jets after all

posted at 9:17 pm on March 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

The worst part? If you believe ESPN, Denver gave him a choice between the Jets and the Jaguars and he chose the cold-weather loser franchise with the obnoxious loudmouth coach and its obnoxious loudmouth local media instead of the warm-weather loser franchise where he grew up and everyone loves him and he’ll start every game. You would think a believer as devout as Tebow would remember God’s first commandment to Moses: “The Jets reek.”

Actually, according to Adam Schefter, it came down to money:

Denver says it will do the trade that is best for its franchise. Jets or Jags.

Denver has agreed to trade Tim Tebow and a seventh-round pick to the Jets for the NY’s fourth-round pick and a sixth-round pick.

NY has agreed to pay half of the $5 million in compensation back to Denver that was in dispute in Tim Tebow trade.

That $5 million was the sticking point, remember. Looks like the Jets offered to pick up more of it than the Jags did, even though Jacksonville hasn’t had a winning record in four years and Tebow would have been an instant huge draw and the whole deal would have paid for itself many times over. Again, makes sense.

I think we just reached Matthew 4:1 in the Tebow saga.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What happened to Sanchez?

John the Libertarian on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Our 3rd quarterback signed earlier with the jJts, from the Lions, because he wanted to play more. Come back Drew Stanton!

KOOLAID2 on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

And the NYJets become the first team in the history of the NFL to sacrifice a virgin to reach the Super Bowl.

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Haters, gonna hate!

0bamaderangementsyndrom on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I haven’t paid attention to football since the Rams left Los Angeles… but if Tebow were to turn the Jets into a winning franchise, would that be grounds to accept religion?

malclave on March 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Uh-oh. There were a number of Jags fans in the previous Tebow thread. This could make their heads explode.

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

He’d be better served as third-stringer for the Giants. He might at least win a ring and he’d stay upright.

JammieWearingFool on March 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Haters, gonna hate!

Preach it! I’m hating!

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I think we just reached Matthew 4:1 in the Tebow saga.

Whoa. Did Allah just quote a Bible verse?

cynccook on March 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

My collie says:

If Mark Brunell remains the Jets back-up QB, and Tebow is the starter, Dallas may remain as “America’s team”, but the NY Jets will be Jesus’s team.

Maybe we should put AllahPundit on suicide watch, collie.

CyberCipher on March 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

LOL

cynccook on March 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are.

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Jet crash….hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Best possible finish is 3rd behind Miami!

dmann on March 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM

As a Giants fan, all I can do is laugh.

TheLastBrainLeft on March 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

“Jets”…He would have had it made…with a Forida team!

KOOLAID2 on March 21, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Didn’t a lot of Jets defensive players say Tebow sucks? Seems like it’s going to be awkward.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Of course we all know this is just another feeble attempt to get some notice here. Giants won the Super Bowl last month and you hear hardly a peep out of them.

Jets run their mouths, make the laughable claim they weren’t interested in Peyton when it was the exact opposite, give Sanchez and extension and now this? They have no clue, no plan and can someone tell me what kind of offense they’ll be running?

JammieWearingFool on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

J-E-….uh…S-U-S!

Bishop on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I am EXCITED! My dad is a long suffering Jet fan as am I. His analysis, as well as his brother, both in their 80′s is this ia great! Embrace it!

FLconservative on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I dont’ think Tebow is much worse than Sanzchez if you look at their stats.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Whoa. Did Allah just quote a Bible verse?

cynccook on March 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Yes, but it happens to be just a few verses before the devil starts quoting scripture.

WhatNot on March 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Heh.

BallisticBob on March 21, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Why would he pass on Jacksonville? Who would willingly subject themselves to the pond scum that is the NY Sports media?

SnarkVader on March 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Good thing we’ve abolished slavery.

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’m susprised Bloomberg didn’t ban Tebow from playing in New YOrk. Too religious for the good folk up there

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I hope he does well.

gophergirl on March 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Get a clue about the NFL. The Jets made it to the AFC championship game two of the past three seasons.

V15J on March 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Tebow inspires me.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Joe Namath:

“I don’t think they know what they’re doing over there right now.”

BTW, how much are those Tebow Broncos jerseys going for now?

JammieWearingFool on March 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Mcnabb use to go to a lot of championship games but never won a Superbowl.

That’s the only talking point you need.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

JammieWearingFool on March 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Maybe the Wing-T?

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Tim, I will be tebowing for you next season.

Who will I be more sick of hearing about next season, New York or Denver? Ad nauseum on ESPN and NFL Network.

I am starting to get a little worried about the Texans though.

jazzuscounty on March 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

V15J on March 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

and……………

dmann on March 21, 2012 at 9:32 PM

The reality is in NY people will refuse to go to the games if Tebow starts. It’s a bad move from that standpoint as in other parts of the country he draws big crowds b/c he’s religious.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Tell you what fellers…go look up the owner of the Jags…You think Tebow would fit in? Or, that he’d want to go?

You’re welcome.

bravecowboy on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

A cynic would say the Jags didn’t want him because they want to remain a moribund franchise so that in a couple of years they can say “We can’t survive here” and head for L.A.

radjah shelduck on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

In other words, they missed the playoffs this year.

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

New Yorkers hate God, that’s why Bloomberg bans sugar and they are cool with it.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yoohoo, JetBoy, you there? Thoughts?

I’m a Giants fan (still Superbowl reruns), but I do like the Jets–I’ve never understood the intra-NY animosity between the two teams. Glad I can cheer on the Jets more heartily this year! I hope Tebow can bring some common sense into the locker room.

Yossarian on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

BTW, how much are those Tebow Broncos jerseys going for now?

JammieWearingFool on March 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Considering the vitriol of Broncos fans toward this trade, they’ll buy them up and wear them en masse to Broncos games next year, just to spite Elway.

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Giants win the superbowl, Jets want to get some buzz for their team and sell some tickets. So pathetic.

I actually like Tebow as a person, and he’s a good player, but this move is absurd. Then again I’m a Giants fan so whatevs.

Dash on March 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Tebow is a leader. All he asks is his teammates believe in him.

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM

No, I do not believe the Broncos for a second. The initial report was accurate. Tebow chose the Jets. The Broncos are covering for him so his home state doesn’t hate him.

DaveO on March 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM

$5 million feeds a lot of little orphans, AP.

Blake on March 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM

radjah shelduck on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Good point. Although LA has never been that high on the teams that have lived there (Rams, Raiders). Attendance was always a problem.

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

What a stupid comparison!

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Tebow and Lin get to pal around.

I’d love it if Allah was forced to hang out with them.

budfox on March 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

SnarkVader on March 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

~~~~~

He’s going where the sinners are?!

ellifint on March 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Heck, the guy’s big and can run. Make a fullback out of him. A left-handed fullback who also gives you a pass option at any time. That would keep defenses guessing a little.

predator on March 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Blake on March 21, 2012 at 9:38 PM

wow, skating the fast line on thin ice………All Hail!

dmann on March 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Darn it, the Husband just got a Tebow jersey for Christmas.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Darn it, the Husband just got a Tebow jersey for Christmas.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Trade it for a “jersey to be named later.” :D

predator on March 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

AP. The obvious reason. More people to convert in the New York metropolitan area.

Still waiting for the Missuri caucus thread

gerrym51 on March 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

~~~~~

I was born and raised in NY, and both parents were born and raised in Brooklyn and the Bronx, and i can assure you that many New Yorkers believe in God and go to church…there’s a lot to NY besides Manhattan!

ellifint on March 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

predator on March 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

LOL!

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Tebow, welcome to the machine, the meat grinder that is the NY market.

Inside of two years he will be begging to get out.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on March 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

What a stupid comparison!

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Not at all.

Here we have a talented athlete who is in limbo because other mostly pot-bellied businessmen are deciding what jersey he should wear. Granted, we are talking about huge dollars but the player has little choice in the outcome.

The comparison is valid.

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

O/T:

Tebow is going to the Jets. I got the inside scoop. Its all over the internet.

SparkPlug on March 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Elway 3:19-20

New International Version (NIV)

19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

So much for John 3:16, eh? “Why the long face, John?”-SP to John Kerry-same principle applies, should meet at a bar or something.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

In other words, they missed the playoffs this year.

EA_MAN on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I tell folks they should NEVER wear an AFC/NFC Championship hat/shirt… It just advertises their team lost the Superbowl.

LtGenRob on March 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Tebow, welcome to the machine, the meat grinder that is the NY market.

Inside of two years he will be begging to get out.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on March 21, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Dying that he gets an invite to The Five.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Q: Does Boss Emeritus like football? She’s in CO so she should know.

ProudPalinFan on March 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I hope he does well.

gophergirl on March 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Me too. I really like Tebow.

SparkPlug on March 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM

The Lord, AP, works in mysterious ways, and He may well have outdone Himself here. Being a Texan fan, however, I’m personally glad Tebow didn’t go to the Jags. And, who knows, maybe TT will bring a bit of calm and grace to the Jets. Nah, no effing way.

TXUS on March 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Yossarian on March 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM

As a NY Giants fan, I can tell you it all began when Rex Ryan started running his big mouth.

As for Tim Tebow, why? Tebow should’ve went to Jacksonville where he would’ve been the man and had time to develop. Why go to a disfunctional team that only got you because they can’t handle that the NY Giants won the Super Bowl.

RedRobin145 on March 21, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Bloomberg is NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY.

First time bends a knee Mayorlissimo Bloomfranco is going to order him to a re-education camp.

PappyD61 on March 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I don’t care about Tebow much one way or the other, but — if he chose New York — it shows a little testosterone. Prove the naysayers wrong in the biggest media market in the country, or die trying. Nobody with a competitive bone in their body would chose a backwater like Jacksonville when New York beckons.

Be interesting to see how it goes.

urban elitist on March 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Fact: Tim Tebow is the best thing to come out of my neighborhood since Lynyrd Skynyrd.

joekenha on March 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

AP, it could always be worse. You could be a Cleveland Browns fan.

Myron Falwell on March 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM

God just getting you back, AP. Now you’ll have suffering through a Tebow craze in your beloved New York.

michaelo on March 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Be interesting to see how it goes.

urban elitist on March 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

It was Denver, specifically John “I HATE Tebow” Elway that chose the Jets.

Steve Eggleston on March 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Shahid Khan ring a bell?

Shahid in Urdu means martyr. I can’t really see Tebow playing for him. More likely he’d pray for Mr. Khan.

bravecowboy on March 21, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Tebow probably had no choice in the matter. He may be glad to leave since Denver has been making it obvious for months that they didn’t appreciate him and his talent. I hope Denver finishes at the bottom of the league next year. They deserve it.

sherrimae on March 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Tebow: GOD’s QB. Maybe he went where he is needed!

wildcat72 on March 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Allah linking biblegateway.com…..

check the temp in hell, fellas. Ha aROTL! allah, I do the “read the bible in a year” method there. You ought to check it out

I have a vision. In the fourth year of the reign of King Barack, the modern day David throws a pass for a touchdown and Allahpundit runs onto the field yelling “I BELIEVE!” “I BELIEVE!”

ted c on March 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

sherrimae on March 21, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I’m thinking 6-10 after Manning gets carted off the field for the last time in game 3 following a clean blindside hit.

Steve Eggleston on March 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

When Tebow drove 95 yards against the Jets I take it they saw something they really liked. I know I did, this guy can play football.

wheelgun on March 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was hoping The Chiefs would pick him up. Oh well, its not like our QB will have to throw much with Jamal Charles and Peyton Hillis running the ball.

Wolftech on March 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Not a Jets fan,
but I’d pay to watch a Tebow/Cromartie Oklahoma Drill.

mrt721 on March 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I am a Jets fan now!
Screw Denver!

southernms on March 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

No because he doesn’t have to play football and he is paid for his services.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Allah, the Lord works in wonderful and mysterious ways. Hang on bud.

ted c on March 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Elways such a douchebag, after all the excitement tebow brought to a moribound season he stabs tebow in the back, it would be hilarious if denver fans start brining in posters on gameday depicting manning as a roman soldier and John “judas” elway hovering in the background with his bag of gold/96 million dollar contract

golembythehudson on March 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Steve Eggleston on March 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

His doctors have cleared him to play, and he’s been good at avoiding sacks and those kind of hits.

changer1701 on March 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

ted c on March 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Now that’s funny!

Bunsin2 on March 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

SparkPlug on March 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Don’t you want to compliment AP on his stunning sports analysis, elevating himself from mere mortal blogger to well rounded font of knowledge?

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

preview…

Bunsin2 on March 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

SnarkVader on March 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Meh, to rephrase an old axiom: Evil major market media is better than no-market media.

whatcat on March 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM

V15J on March 21, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Exactly right.

Tebow will keep life interesting here. His presence alone will force Sanchez to play better, or hold the clipboard.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on March 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

golembythehudson on March 21, 2012 at 10:20 PM

agree…and understatement of a jerk horse face/teeth Elway is.

worst is ESPN…headlined Tebow last year and now kicks him to the curb by hyping Manning as their storylines

expect Manning to bomb in Denver…and Chargers with Rivers will rebound and win it all

nparga23 on March 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Not at all.

The comparison is valid.

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Except for the fact that no one made him join the NFL in the first place. He did so knowing the rules of the game. Slaves weren’t given the choice of whether or not to become slaves.

Bitter Clinger on March 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Tebow will be starting for the Jets by week 8 of the season. So it is written. So shall it be.

Sugar Land on March 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Really disappointed that nobody figured out a way to use this story to bash Romney.

EddieC on March 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I think we just reached Matthew 4:1 in the Tebow saga.

Nice one AP. Who knew you’d ever link biblegateway.com?

conservative pilgrim on March 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM

AP, it could always be worse. You could be a Cleveland Browns fan.

Myron Falwell on March 21, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The Browns are getting zombie Otto Graham. If the original went to 10 straight championship games, his zombie should be good for 5 in a row.

RickB on March 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I don’t see them bumping Sanchez. He’s too good.

John the Libertarian on March 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Wolftech on March 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Peyton will be in a legitimate offense this year as opposed to the ghastly primitive offense led by Pat Shurmur. He should experience a rebirth of sorts.

I also wish that Colt McCoy would get traded to a team that’s serious about winning.

Myron Falwell on March 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Alllahpundit: RE the New Testament reference, as the apostle Jimmy said, “Don’t try to describe a Kiss concert if you’ve never seen it.”

Knott Buyinit on March 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM

That one must have been on the tablet that Moses (as played by Mel Brooks) dropped and broke.

Bigfoot on March 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

EddieC on March 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Here, let me help. We don’t need sycophants supporting victim hood in the White House. The Won has that covered. How’s that? Happy?

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM