Hallelujah: Tebow trade to Jets hits a snag

posted at 4:15 pm on March 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

I say this as an atheist, a lifelong Jets “fan,” and a Tebow admirer: If fate intervenes at the last minute to spare this poor kid from having to play for this hopeless loser franchise, it really is a data point in favor of believers. ESPN’s Adam Schefter tweets:

Filed to ESPN (1): Denver and Jets have encountered hangup in language in Tim Tebow’s contract that could nullify trade.

(2) If the Tebow trade to Jets falls apart, St. Louis could wind up getting back into play. Sides sorting through details.

Tim Tebow has $5 million worth of recapture language, meaning Jets would have to pay back money to Denver. Jets might be unwilling. Complex.

The same money issues in Tim Tebow’s contract caused complications for Jacksonville trying to complete trade. Now Jets facing them…

Jets-Broncos agreed to Tim Tebow trade before Denver asked NY to pay back portion of bonuses and salary already paid to Tebow. No deal yet.

They just brought in Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator and Sparano’s a big fan of the wildcat offense (as is Rex Ryan), so go figure that they’d grab the ultimate wildcat QB if they can get him for the low, low price of a couple of draft picks. (Plus $5 million?) Platooning wouldn’t be unusual for Tebow either: The Gators won the national championship in 2006 with an offense that utilized both him and Chris Leak. In theory it could kinda sorta work. In practice, what’ll happen is (a) as soon as Sanchez starts to play mediocre, and he will, Jets fans will torment him with “we want Tebow” chants and that’ll create tension; (2) Tebow will be miserable dealing with the famously nasty Jets locker room (the backbiting has already begun, believe it or not); and (3) the team will struggle offensively anyway because the wildcat is lame, especially now that it’s been four years since it came into vogue and pro defenses have better adapted to it. This Onion headline about sums things up.

Oh well. If the trade does happen, at least there’ll be a new reason to root for the Jets, bringing the total number of reasons to root for the Jets up to one. Here’s the whole dumb franchise in a nutshell: Two months ago, it looked like the Jets might land top-five-of-all-time Peyton Manning while the Broncos were stuck figuring out how to win with Tebow. Instead the Broncos get Manning while unloading Tebow onto the Jets. Losers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

They haven’t been to the Super Bowl in 43 years. For the vast majority of those years, they were bad. They’re losers.

Allahpundit on March 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Never had anyone want to bandwagon the Jets those seasons…

JetBoy on March 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I hope for Tebow’s sake he doesn’t go to the Jets. It’s too toxic. In Denver there were fans who loved him before his heroics, and there was a system in place that put him in a position to succeed. New York is NOT a good place for anyone. If he goes to NY, I fear he’ll be out of the league in 3 years.

He really needs to end up in Jacksonville.

shannon76 on March 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

The Broncos or anyone else is nuts to gamble that much money on Manning. The guy was a great quarterback but now is one tackle away from becoming a vegtable platter, if he gets hit just so.

I hope the Tebow deal does go through for the Jets, the kid will drive all the dopey libs nuts in New York.

De Oppresso Liber on March 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I hate to say this because I kinda like Manning (and I’m a Gator), but I hope he gets injured (nothing too bad), and I hope this whole thing blows up in Elway’s face. It’s just bad karma to mess with Tebow after he gave Denver fans such a once in a lifetime season. I’m a Niners fan, and I was paying more attention to Denver than San Francisco; every Sunday was like March Madness.

shannon76 on March 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM

The Jets — or at least their head coach and front office — really are the Kardashian sister of the National Football League, and I never thought anyone would take that title away from Jerry Jones. If there’s some way to try and grab the media spotlight though some wild statement or dramatic action, they’ll do it, without thought one about whether or not it’s good for the team.

It’s like they look across to the offices and staff of the team they share Met Life Stadium with — the one Rex Ryan was dissing all the way through Christmas Eve — see what happened to their over the final six weeks of the season and instead of trying to get away from all the turmoil and have a quiet off-season that just focuses on football, they double down on the hype and the insanity. Can’t get Eli’s brother to sign? Give Sanchez a contract extension despite his sub-par season and then trade for the quarterback from the team Peyton went to. And this was after the Brett Favre debacle of four years ago. It’s as if they’re running their own league where victories don’t matter, but the team that gets their name onto TMZ the most wins the trophy.

jon1979 on March 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I grew up mostly in Denver. I was a huge Elway fan and for the first time in many, many years, I was really excited once Tebow started playing. So instead of giving him a chance and time to grow and improve, boom, Elway steps in and tosses him out. Doesn’t seem right. Manning was great, but there’s no guarantee he still is. Not such a huge Elway fan anymore.

scalleywag on March 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM

AND, I backed Elway even as he was being booed in Mile High Stadium. They kept him on and gave him a chance. Boo, Elway. Boo.

scalleywag on March 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I can proomise you the fans in Denver are not happy about losing Tebow.

Getting Manning only makes it a little better…management better hope he doesn’t get hurt again.

ladyingray on March 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

The Jets don’t deserve Tebow.

Maybe he should stay and ELWAY should be traded to the Crop Dusters?

PappyD61 on March 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

STOP HATING ON TIM, WHAT IS HIS SIN???

0bamaderangementsyndrom on March 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

The center of Tebow’s life is Jesus not football so he will be happy no matter what happens. Football needs more men like him. Consider the bounty scandal.

dunce on March 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM

De Oppresso Liber on March 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM

If the money talk is real and I have no reason to think it isn’t, I agree. This is crazy and then to turn around and quibble over 5 million seems a little schizophrenia.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

MAYBE Elway was afraid Tebow was going to outshine him.

scalleywag on March 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

scalleywag on March 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

BINGO!!!! My thoughts exactly!

Lily on March 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Tebow needs to go to team that will grow and excel with him…not bench him. The Jets deal is a disaster for him, and a PR stunt for NY.

Shame on the Bronco’s….can’t wait until the the first game of the season when Manning takes a hit and is out of play for the season. The man has serious health issues!

phoebe1 on March 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

i have always been a broncos fan since the time i was a child. even after elway conned the city into building a stadium that while pretty, costs us taxpayers a ton of money.

elway never wanted tebow and all tebow did was play his heart out for them and suprisingly enough get some wins. while tebow is unorthodox, he is a man of integrity, unlike the many other nfl players.

i will not be rooting for the broncos. if this is how you treat a player who brought life, respect to the city and team, you don’t deserve our support. when manning is knocked out of the game because there is not a solid offensive line protecting him, how’s old elway gonna look? i hope elway gets what’s due.

teenereenerchilebeaner on March 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Jax Jags need Tim. They are a losing team and nobody goes to watch them play. The whole area loves him and it would be a boost that the River City needs. Hope the new owner goes for him.

Kissmygrits on March 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Time for the Jags to jump back in.

TinCanNav on March 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Jax Jags need Tim. They are a losing team and nobody goes to watch them play.

*looks at his season tickets* HEY!

TinCanNav on March 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I can proomise you the fans in Denver are not happy about losing Tebow.

ladyingray on March 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Or, stay healthy and not perform at the level at which he is being touted. New coaches, new receivers and routes, new playbook. I assume Fox and Elway promised him a totally free rein such as he had in Indy, or he wouldn’t have come, because he is a control freak about running the offense. An injury free season in which he doesn’t substantially best Tebow’s record will cause much restlessness amongst the natives. That press conference they had was pretty specific. Not winning a Super Bowl would be a failure. Bad promise!

a capella on March 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

This all comes from a lifelong Denver fan of a short 32 years. (for full disclosure)

Elway just risked all his remaining good will on this move. If manning and co don’t win 9+ games this year a LOT of Bronco fans who really like Tebow (and had to be won over) are going to wonder why he paid 20 million a year and BROKE HIS WORD to have the same result or worse.

We all like manning in Denver, he is a quality guy. However, in 2009 before the injury he was not exactly having a “manning” year…then he broke his neck and had 4 surgeries… To me he seems like a risk, not a lock.

If the Broncos win 10 games, go to the playoffs and win games, well, all is forgiven when you win. But if they struggle…Elway looks like a tool who used this as an excuse to get rid of a quality person—>and showing that he is not one.

P.S. Being in the afc west we got a front row seat to the trainwreck that was Montana in KC…can’t help but see this as the sequel.

airmonkey on March 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM

It’s times like this that makes me thankful to be a fan of Big Blue. We’ve managed to forge a QB that is both clutch AND can who can throw the ball.

Sadly, I am also a Mets fan. The magic is back.

TheLastBrainLeft on March 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM

BTW…Peyton Manning didn’t want the pressure of expectations in San Fran, AND maybe he didn’t want to go up against his brother within the same conference??

You can have your “greatest ever” (regular season) QB.

I’ll keep my Joe Montana and Steve Young any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).

shannon76 on March 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Kissmygrits on March 21, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I read a headline that said if the Jag went after him it means that the owner is meddling. I slam down that chunk a change for a NFL team, I’m not going to be told to shut up and stand in the corner. I still think it is odd that Denver is paying $95 million and are stuck on $5 million. Must be something I don’t know like cap restrictions.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Thought Tebow would get picked up by Miami. Florida connection and all.

KOOLAID2 on March 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM

They just brought in Tony Sparano as offensive coordinator

Am I the only one that initially scanned this sentence as Tony Soprano and was thinking about the mafia making the deal? Maybe so but I doubt it.

Bottom line for me. The NFL and Denver (in particular) needs to ensure that whatever deal is struck in this lust for Manning does not screw over Tebow. He deserves better. And yes, bad things happen to good people all the time but most of those people do not have millions of other people who know who they are and what they stand for. In the wake of a day where a coach got suspended for a year and an assistant coach got suspended indefinitely, the NFL does not want the public screwing over of a talented clean cut up-and-comer who represents the future of professional football.

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

And I take the opposite position. Here in DC, Dan Snyder has been far too meddlesome in running the team that he owns.

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Allah,
Whatever other differences I may have with your analysis here and there, you have summed up the entire Jets situation as succinctly as only a true, long-suffering and heavily jaded Jets fan could.
And I say that as a true, long-suffering and heavily jaded Jets fan of 40 years.

Right Mover on March 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Happy Nomad on March 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I know, I am also a beleaguered Redskins fan. There has to be a happy medium between the Dan Snyders and Jerry Jones and missing the opportunity to sell enough tickets to avoid blackouts and bank some cushion. Redskins fans don’t know anything about empty seats, blackouts and season tickets left unsold instead of being part of a family inheritance.

Cindy Munford on March 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

According to ESPN, it’s up to Tebow now. He gets to choose Jets or Jags.

Babino on March 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Never mind. It’s done. Tebow is a Jet.

Babino on March 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM

This is God’s message that he wants Tebow in Jag teal where he belongs.

Southernblogger on March 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM

As a Giants fan, I chuckle at your mirth.

clancy_wiggum on March 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Jets got him.Official now.

Southernblogger on March 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

The St. Louis fans weren’t very kind to “born again” Kurt Warner despite the fact he brought us our first Super Bowl win. Then the offensive line laid down on him and he was beaten to a pulp. Would Tebow get treated any better? Just say’n.

Pole-Cat on March 21, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Elway had to go for Manning, he has a young QB who has weak mechanics.
He was a fool to handle it the way that he has.
Manning gets hurt behind one of the best pass protect O lines in the game, the Bronco’s line is no way near that good at pass protect.
So how long will Manning last before getting dinged? I just hope he doesn’t end up in a wheelchair.

Nathan_OH on March 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I wish you ended up being right Allah. Whatever “faith” Tebow subscribes to, won’t save him from the circus that is the New York Jets. Sanchez will be getting called to be benched by fans the moment things go badly.

Freeloader on March 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Redskins fan here too. Dan Snyder is horrible. He means well, but fails at executing.

Freeloader on March 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Elway had to go for Manning, he has a young QB who has weak mechanics.
He was a fool to handle it the way that he has.

Nathan_OH on March 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Elway just replaced a QB who took a losing team (1-4 pre-Tebow) and went 7-4 in season and 1-1 in preseason getting to the playoffs in a year with a really bad start.

The only way this works for Elway is if he “traded up”. Manning has to step up and beat Tebow’s 8-5 record and getting into the playoffs… and he’s going to have to do it soon, as fans aren’t know for patience and understanding.

Maybe Manning will step in and get that rolling quickly and it’ll end up being a good bet… but I wouldn’t want to bet my hide on those odds.

gekkobear on March 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM