Yes, There Is a War on Women

posted at 8:40 am on March 20, 2012 by Libby Sternberg

by Libby Sternberg, Center Right Side blog

Even though it’s been weeks since conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh called a reproductive rights activist a “slut” and then apologized, the “war on women” has not subsided.

Good. It’s high time that women on the right side of the political aisle joined the battle. And because conservative women’s long-simmering outrage was ignited by the left’s double standard in the Rush kerfuffle, liberals have been in the uncomfortable position of playing defense.

Sure, they’ve turned to an even more aggressive offensive stance (more on that in a bit), but at the outset, they were whipsawed by the reaction of conservative women who, after suffering through years of grotesque, highly misogynistic comments from liberal celebrity pundits, finally had the opportunity to present a litany of these offensive louts’ language for all to see, saying, “Yeah, these filth-spewing commentators deserve the world’s opprobrium–we’re so glad you agree with us at last.” Ahem.

(A quick aside: Politics ain’t beanbag, and when I, and other women I know, speak of “offensive language,” we’re not talking about strong metaphors. We’re talking about language that diminishes women to their sexual natures alone, language that is a variation on either “forget her ideas, she’s one hot fox,” or, “she’s no more than a c***, so why take her seriously?”)

The reaction to conservative women’s pushback during L’Affaire Limbaugh has been amusing, to say the least. The standard liberal meme has been resurrected: liberal commentators, regardless of their offenses, aren’t equal to Rush because of his huge audience and, oh, yeah, he is the titular head of the Republican Party anyway, you know. (Tell that to the various GOP presidential candidates who won the party’s nomination despite harsh criticism from Rush.)

The audience measurement argument puts liberals in the embarrassing position of showcasing “their guys’” low audience numbers, though. Beyond what Nielsen statistics say about the appeal of liberal ideas on the airwaves, however, the question then becomes: exactly where is the cutoff that gives a commentator a pass in the use of offensive language? Is it 900,001 (Keith Olbermann could draw close to 900,000, after all.) How about 1,000,001? (Bill Maher can draw a million.) Even if liberal fellows don’t understand the absurdity of that argument, most women, who’ve ever walked past a construction site to catcalls and whistles, do.

So, now that the hypocrisy has been exposed in the Rush brouhaha, the left has loaded other missiles in their Outrage Artillery to keep the “War on Women” battle alive to their benefit. They’ve been firing off shots about how conservative men want to control women’s bodies (abortion, contraception, etc.). They are dragging out a list of state bills sponsored by conservatives that seek to either limit access to contraception or force women to undergo “invasive” testing before having abortions.

As to the contraception bills, from my knowledge these are a reaction to the HHS mandate dictating that all health plans must cover contraception and abortifacients, regardless whether the coverage violates the religious beliefs of the employers. So they are attempts, perhaps clumsy and (pardon the pun) ill-conceived, to protect First Amendment rights of free conscience. If the White House made a real accommodation with religious entities concerning these mandates, the reactionary bills would probably disappear in a snap. (And, no, the WH has made no accommodation–the same mandate language HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius advanced prior to announcing accommodations is still in the law.)

On to the ultrasound bills–there’s been one in Virginia, but they’re popping up elsewhere–proposed laws to force women seeking abortions to have ultrasounds first. I’m not keen on legislating medical practice, but I am sympathetic to the pro-life point of view, even if I don’t entirely share it.

Pro-life advocates believe that abortion is murder. And just as activists such as George Clooney can’t stand idly by while watching people be massacred in Africa, pro-life champions believe they, too, must do everything in their power to stop what they see as the slaughter of innocents.

I admire George Clooney, even without agreeing with him on all his stances, and would never disparage his well-intentioned efforts. Similarly, I admire pro-life activists, even if I don’t agree with all their approaches. Can most liberals say the same?

In fact, the left’s barrage of attacks on ultrasound bills has incensed at least one pro-choice supporter, who argues, quite persuasively, that using inflammatory language (such as “rape”) to describe pre-abortion ultrasounds is harmful to women. Since the vast majority of abortion providers do these ultrasounds anyway prior to abortions, liberals are unnecessarily alarming women about their invasiveness and diminishing their value.

But that’s the real problem with this whole “war on women” the left is using to try to score points against the right. It ignores the reality of women’s opinions and lives just to trounce political opponents. It hides behind the skirts of women, in other words, to fire shots at adversaries, seeking to damage them in women’s eyes.
The reality is that women are not of one mind on reproductive issues. Gallup polls show women fairly evenly divided on abortion, in fact, with 48 percent identifying themselves as “pro-life” and large majorities supporting some restrictions on abortions that liberals traditionally fight tooth and nail– things like parental consent laws for abortions for minor girls, for example. Ironically, I’m sure mothers who hold these beliefs would look at liberal opposition as something of a “war” on them.

But you rarely hear of these divided opinions when the High Dudgeon Industry has fired its first shots. In my cynical view, that’s because those fueling the battle aren’t really all that interested in listening to what women have to say after all…unless it can be used to defeat political opponents.

So, David Axelrod can blithely criticize Rush Limbaugh in one breath, while stammering sophistry about why Bill Maher’s one-million-dollar donation to the president’s SuperPac is okay because….well, because it’s just too darn silly to even repeat here.

Don’t be fooled, sisters. There might be a “war on women” out there, but it’s coming as much from the left who want to silence the half of American women who don’t agree with liberals on abortion policy. According to their “rules of engagement,” these women–pro-lifers or their admirers– deserve to be called any name in the misogynist’s lexicon.
______

Libby Sternberg is a novelist living in Pennsylvania. She is a past member of the Vermont Commission on Women. She runs a blog titled Center Right Side. This post originally appeared there.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Have you seen this video titled Bill Maher: Barack Obama’s Million Dollar Man…?

quite good and probably linkish worthy in this thread, IMO.

ted c on March 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Excellent post.
Just one thing – The links to your blog are nonfunctional. There’s one too many http and the dot is missing after www. To make them work, change it to:

whatcat on March 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM

What greater war on women can there be besides abortion?

Since 1973 we’ve had over 20 million young girls denied the elemental right to even breath the free air of our world.

Abortion…………the REAL war on Women.

PappyD61 on March 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Very good writing there, Libby.

Electrongod on March 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I agree. All the left does is use women for their own political gain.

tinkerthinker on March 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I am DONE with coddling these groups, women included, to get them to see that this Regime is as bad for them as for me.

Anyone who votes Obama this time is either too ignorant to vote, or so committed to destroying this Republic as to merit treason charges.

wildcat72 on March 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

……….and that total is just in the U.S.

PappyD61 on March 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

“forget her ideas, she’s one hot fox,

What about: she’s got great ideas and she’s one hot fox? You’re never going to stop men from noticing what women look like, it’s anti-reality. What most of these slurs are, are comments on their character. And agreeing with someone philosophically generally makes them more attractive somehow, and vice versa. Please don’t go down the leftist’s route where we’re supposed to deny reality in the interests of political correctness.

Fenris on March 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Ultrasound….RAPE!
The sucking sound of a vacuum tube: Reproduction freedom.

Electrongod on March 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

White House memo:

Stop the war on liberal women…however, the war on conservative women is a whole different story.

sdd on March 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

The excuse for Maher and Olberdouche from the left is

“Yeah, They are misogynistic ass wipes, but they’re our asswipes…”

Kuffar on March 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Rape is the new lib word for ultrasound, just as contraception is their new word for abortion. These people are insane.

Trafalgar on March 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Maher with that chin-on-the-fingers pose….gawd I hate that.

But yeah the leftist dissonance is a wonder to behold. Rush goes from being the head of the GOP, to just a blowhard entertainer, back to the head of the GOP.

Meanwhile Maher is just a comedian.

Bishop on March 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Meanwhile Maher is just a comedian.

Bishop on March 20, 2012 at 9:02 AM

That they think it’s funny only makes it worse.

Fenris on March 20, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Ultrasound….RAPE!
The sucking sound of a vacuum tube: Reproduction freedom.

Electrongod on March 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My wife was raped on multiple occasions, by a female ultrasound tech no less, and all I could do was sit there like a coward and ignore her screams and pleas for help.

I just let that tech put conductive jelly on my wife’s stomach and then move that little imaging wand over it….*SOB*…why didn’t I DO SOMETHING??? *SOB SOB*

Bishop on March 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Thanks for the comments. And thanks for pointing out the broken link, whatcat. I will do better in the future! Libby

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Laws like the one in Virginia are not about legislating medical practice. They are about making the process of abortion deliberative instead of the drive-thru mentality of the left. One can argue the points on if this is good public policy but there should be no disputing the idea that one should seriously and soberly think about abortion before having one. IMO, too many women are able to quickly get an abortion at the local planned parenthood abortion factory but live to regret the fact later in life.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM

It would be funny, if it weren’t so sad, that the party which lionised Teddy Kennedy is now complaining about an insult by a radio host.

Jay Mac on March 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 9:11 AM

You’re welcome – if the HA WordPress blogging mechanism for adding links is somewhat like the commenting mechanism, it adds an http by default. Stumbles up most of us now & then! :)

whatcat on March 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Some ideas/facts to mull on, on this topic:
1) the ultrasound that the left are calling ‘rape’ – is done at every abortion. See: Unplanned by Abby Johnson [How filling in at an abortion and watching the 'mass of tissue' fight off the ultrasound probe/abortion instruments caused her to walk out of the clinic and become - Anti-Abortion]
2) these bills are not ‘legislating’ medical practices. It is simply holding the liberal left to their own standards. All surgeries require informed consent with all the steps of the procedure, side effects and dire outcomes presented before signed consent is obtained. They want it done for every surgery, but not for abortion. One has to wonder if their goal truly is – safe, legal and rare abortions – why they are fighting simple informed consent?
3) as pointed out, the Left _____(fill in the blank politicians, comedians, celebrates) can and do say anything they want about women and get a pass. Hypocrisy thy name is Dem/liberal/progressive/left.
4) As mentioned, these people are not speaking for women such as Mrs Jackal and our two daughters – who don’t support the Abortion Uber Alles meme.
5) With Women’s Health provisions, Medicaid, Planned Parenthood and now – there has to be Obamacare to cover all of this ‘contraception’. If previous programs are failures, why pass another one, which almost no one read, prior to passage? Or at least gut and cut all the previous failures first – imagine the Federal spending that would save!
and, finally
5) Please, please remember that in the minds of the Dems/Left – contraception means abortion and thus is why the mandate and the faux outrage – to misinform the sheeple that the evil Repubs/religious want to deny women contraception (wink, wink, nod, nod). While the real point of the story is and must always remain that Obama/Obamacare’s intention is to overturn the First Amendment’s FREEDOM of religion to be exempt from such evil as abortion. And to make everyone in America pay for it – again, regardless of their First Amendment RIGHT to be exempt from it.

jackal40 on March 20, 2012 at 9:58 AM

IMO, the Dems are doing their usual, divide and conquer, then distract.
If they convince women that Republicans are against women’s freedoms, and the Repubs sit back and say nothing in defense, the Dems win.
Fact is, Obama received most of the ‘womens’ vote, so he’s doubling up on the demograph.
The Repubs are so focused on destroying themselves, they are not paying attention.

askwhatif on March 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I’m likin’ Libby! She really knows how to class up a joint.

Laura in Maryland on March 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Jackal40, good points. Someone commented in Green Room about the “informed consent” angle, which I thought was an excellent point I’d not realized. The link I provided to a Slate article is a pro-choice woman arguing against the inflammatory “rape” language, which I thought was useful.

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Thank you, Laura. Let me just adjust my tiara and straighten my feather boa…

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I’m just waiting for the next mandate that has abortion coverage with no “out of pocket” expenses. I asked this on another site, where I promptly received some of the above kind of language (it’s much tidier over here). Play this scenario: Santorum gets elected. SCOTUS upholds Obamacare. Santorum appoints new HHS secretary who is now the one “who shall determine” and determines that birth control is not allowed as a covered benefit at all or sterilization and everything in that realm should be out of pocket. Then the left will have issue with “as the secretary shall determine.”

redmama on March 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The left wages their war on women everyday, at every level, in every town and city in this country. Try being a woman, or young girl and express an opinion in public that isn’t leftwing sanctioned, and they attack you regardless of age, or status..

My little girl got abused verbally in class for expressing a positive view of Sarah Palin.. she wasn’t allowed to hold that view… forbidden, and the jacbooted teacher was going to wage his own persoanl war on conservative females… no matter how youg.

They sent my little girl home in tears over an opinion, they accused her parents of racism,.. a county heavy with military families, and we were “unAmerican” for not getting in lockstep with the liberal dream president.

I’ve seen their handiwork, and they are contemptable filth, every damn one of them.. abusing girls is fine.. if they don’t mimic the teachers Obama love.. they accused me of hating gay men, because I complained about that scumbag… he verbally abused my daughter in class for having a positive Palin view..

They will attack anyone, no woman or girl safe from them unless they shut up, and wave the damn union flag for Obama.

screw them, all of them, and their female accomplices.. they teach girls to fear being nonliberal.. and that is a disgrace.

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Nice piece BTW Libby! Good writing!

redmama on March 20, 2012 at 10:12 AM

There isn’t one.

Every racist, misogynist, or bigot of any stripe always has an excuse for why what they’re saying is really OK, its just the other guy’s speech that’s offensive…

Its OK because I don’t have a big audience…
Its OK because I said it about a public personality…
Its OK because I’m a comedian…

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

taznar on March 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I really don’t want an answer, but I do wonder how many abortions Michelle may have had.
Did she use it in place of birth control?
Who paid for it?
I personally, am about free choice, but I could not have an abortion myself, not after losing one baby to miscarriage.
I believe in choice, but I do not believe it is the government’s responsibility to pay. The main word here being responsibility.

askwhatif on March 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM

+1,000

askwhatif on March 20, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yes there is a democrat war on women and predator is not party to it. predator loves women.

Bmore on March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Mark- Hug your pumpkin for me. You are spot on and said it well. I’ve got three girls, and my oldest, 17, said she bites her tongue to avoid backlash in school “because it will affect my grades” and my 13-year-old wants me to bite MY tongue because she gets uninvited to parties by the moms. I want my youngest to be able to speak her mind if she wants.

redmama on March 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Jay Mac on March 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Not to mention the infamous Kennedy/Dodd waitress sandwich.

Rush Limbaugh called a “reproductive rights activist” a slut after she pretty much decided to talk about her use of contraception. Which is pretty much an admission that she is sexually active even though she is not married. She went on to say that all the women at Georgetown were sexually active but “denied” their right to birth control. If this is not slutty behavior, I don’t know what is.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

askwhatif on March 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Let’s remember Obama’s exact words when discussing abortion and sex. “If they (the Obama brats) make a mistake, I don’t want them punished with a baby.”

That’s a life not a mistake and to have a President who stood by and allowed Illinois to enact a law that denies care to a child that survives abortion is about as big a mistake as was ever made.

Happy Nomad on March 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Wait. So is it ok to consider a woman’s ideas and then comment on the beauty? Or are ccompliments now forbidden unless mental capacity is first considered?

Spliff Menendez on March 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Very good post.

It’s time to stop arguing about this matter.

We need to agree, using our common sense which the political class does not have, that liberals only think insults to women come out of the mouths of Conservatives.

Liberal comedians and in general can say anything they want about women and it’s okay.

That’s our collective conclusion because, eh, well that’s what the liberals are saying.

Some of us were born at night, but not LAST NIGHT!

Every time a Conservative is asked about the vaporous Republican war against women, he or she should respond, as I paraphrase: “The conclusion of the common sense across the fruited plains is that slurs against women are okay if done by liberals but mean and bad if done by conservatives. There is a double standard and beyond that, why discuss it any more?”

Indeed. Why discuss it any more? Let’s keep re-iterating this truth and stop being on defense.

patfish on March 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Bmore on March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

…FREE predator…!!!

…and I like these crisis things, your side makes up…crr6!

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I don’t believe that the “Woman’s Rights” movement from the 60′s onward to today has any clue just what most of us woman feel or believe about anything…. just the term “Woman’s Rights” was confiscated by the left and attached to our collective wombs.

What started out as a right to vote has turned into a right to kill unborn children and send the bill to your neighbor regardless as to that neighbors religious or moral opposition, I say that because for some non-religious woman they still believe that killing an unborn child is wrong and feel that paying for it makes it a guilt by association issue.

The Radical woman’s rights groups pushed and shoved any woman that was perceived as conservative off the bus and ran over them in the process. I understand that some fights were worth having… like the woman’s rights in the workplace, if two people a man and a woman were in the same position doing the same work in all the same manners and abilities they should be paid the same wage… good… and why would anyone disagree with that? This all morphed in the free love movement and the zero population growth movement… and became extremely militant and against any and all opposing views.

The left and especially Hollywood’s attempt at their portrayal of woman has always been skewed, it is the entertainment industry and the fashion industry that use and abuse woman and their treatment of woman. They try to dictate how a woman should look, dress, talk, educate, instruct, build business, parent etc… Some of us however have never much wished to be pigeon holed by the “Woman’s Rights” agenda and as a result I think you are just now starting to see a new awakening in girls growing up and fighting for their own time in the sun and their own modern day version of “Woman’s Rights” that include not killing your babies and being conservative.

ActinUpinTexas on March 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This whole “republican war on women” crap…Is anyone REALLY buying into this? I mean, seriously…Most women in our society these days are smart, educated and extremely savvy. If you strip away the politics behind this political “football” the liberals like to toss around every few years, you are left with those same smart, educated, savvy women.

So why would smart, educated, savvy women fall for this lame-ass leftist argument? Well, in truth, they wouldn’t. See, here’s the thing,…And this is a bit if full disclosure I’m not sure I’ve shared in the past…I am a woman. Yes, that’s right. I was born and raised in Iowa, and still live there today. I spent the first 25 years of my life as a die-hard liberal.

I’m smart, educated and quite savvy, if I do say so myself.

And you know what…THE ONLY reason why some women run down the field and catch this political “football”, everytime the liberals let-fly a ‘hail mary’…Is because of POLITICS. That’s it. No other reason. No smart, educated, savvy woman, who respects her self, the other women in her family and in her life, and the entire feminine sex as a whole, would fall for this line of verbal fecal material…Without politics playing into it. Trust me…I’ve “been there, done that”, and I’ve seen how the liberals play this game.

So, what does this prove? Well, a number of things, but the biggest (in my view) is: Outside of some of the most basic of liberal “tenants” which specifically apply to women, lefist politics inherently promotes a disengaged thought-process amongst women.

Those “basic tenants” of liberalism I’m referring to are (and this isn’t a complete list, by any stretch of the imagination):

A. Right-leaners want you ‘bare-foot and pregnant in the kitchen’.
B. Right-leaners think you shouldn’t earn as much money as a man, for the same job.
C. Right-leaners think your only “lot in life” is to be married with 3.5 kids.

Beyond those points, at the heart of leftist politics is the idea that government, not a woman’s own skills, merits, and contributions, will make her a valued member of society. And from that core idea, springs a lack-luster thought-process. The women who buy into this crap somehow feel guilty if they think for themselves, outside of the liberal mantra and spin they are brain-washed to believe. Why should they think, at that point? It’s all been done for them, right?…By dear, sweet big mama government.

I call upon all women to wise the hell up!! Stop playing ‘nurse maid’ to the liberal mind-set…Stop being that ‘good little girl’ they can trot out of the political closet every so often, then use you like a $5.00 whore, and put you back in that closet, gagged and bound, so you’ll keep your mouth shut, and they can keep their girly play-toy. (Think Cindy Sheehan here….)

I know folks don’t like it when men say nasty things about women…So I will: Any woman who falls for this BS, time and time again, deserves the society and government she ends up with. Women will always disagree with each other, on one thing or two (or three, or many)…But, one thing women should be able to agree upon is just which political ideology wants a woman to be her own individual, and enjoy the constitutional Liberties and Freedoms guaranteed to her, and which political ideology would rather a woman “rent out” the space in her head to a few bullet-points, and just sit back and be a slave to big mama government for everything else.

Talismen on March 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sometimes, I look at the history of “women’s liberation” since the advent of easily obtained abortion, and I think that men got a SWEET deal out of this! Sex without having to worry about the consequences!

And sometimes, usually while I am changing my son’s diapers and folding my own laundry while my wife goes out to exercise at the gym, I think that we men sat down at the negotiating table in the age of gender rights… and got taken to the cleaners.

With these two contradictory things going on in my head, it wasn’t until I read an article about how corporate culture on Wall Street has changed, that I finally understood who benefited by the change in gender relations after the age of abortion began. It explained both the above observations, and why a war on women does seem to continue: the ones who benefited are psychopathic men. Men who have no conscience or desire to do good. Men who don’t actually care about the women in their lives. Men who would engage in a war on women, and not think twice about it. Men who will leave their sons sitting in their own feces, and go out to have sex with women twenty years younger than themselves, forgetting that their wives have any value at all.

Not a pretty age to live in.

DrUrchin on March 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

The author is cherry picking her polling statistics. If you look at all the abortion related polls at the link below you’ll see that when you ask people if they are pro-life versus pro-choice, the results are about even or slightly pro-life, but if you ask people if they support Roe v. Wade or abortions in all or some circumstances, you get fairly big majorities in favor: http://www.pollingreport.com/abortion.htm

strongerthandirt on March 20, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Ultrasound….RAPE!
The sucking sound of a vacuum tube: Reproduction freedom.

Electrongod on March 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Bishop on March 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Kudos to both of you. : )

listens2glenn on March 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Nice work, Libby!!

Khun Joe on March 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I made these same points to a close relative who is becoming a leader in this “war on women” movement. The rhetoric may be over the top, I said. Calling it a war or a rape actually diminishes real victims of war and rape (even if they’re men) I said. You may be turning off the very people you intend to reach and enlighten I said.

I was called hateful, racist, misogynist, etc. for trying to help her out.

Now I’ll just send her a link to this well written article.

Be prepared to be called every name in the book but a brush rabbit.

runawayyyy on March 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Axelrod should keep his mouth shut. In a 2009 discussion on NPR about the Obama family’s plans for a new dog, Axelrod said that Obama had narrowed the choices down and “Miss California was in the top three.” Axelrod was crudely referring to pageant contestant Carrie Prejean, who earned the wrath of the left for daring to state that marriage was intended to be between a man and a woman. Axelrod believes referring to a woman as a “dog” is funny and clever—and justified because the target is a conservative.

As far as Kathleen “no fetus left alive” Sebelius, I cannot say what I think of her without getting blocked from this site.

Colony14 on March 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Colony14, I remember the slurs against Carrie Prejean – I saw some on Keith Olbermann’s MSNBC show–but I’d not heard the Axelrod anecdote. Despicable. Libby

Libby Sternberg on March 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM