Video: Comedy is not … pretty

posted at 9:15 am on March 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The question on everyone’s lips today will be this: Can Hollywood’s most celebrated and likeable Everyman make blackface acceptable again? After narrating the Barack Obama 17-minute campaign ad, Tom Hanks ‘ next premiere comes from a 2004 charity auction, where he and singer Glenn Frey of The Eagles entertained the audience while raising money for a private school in tony Pacific Palisades, California. The video shows the CEO of an investment-banking firm in an Afro wig and dark makeup while Frey and Hanks make, er, politically incorrect jokes:

Video footage obtained by The Daily Caller shows Hollywood screen legend Tom Hanks and Eagles musician Glenn Frey at a 2004 fundraising auction, playfully interacting with a white man dressed as an African native, complete with blackface makeup and a giant Afro wig. …

The 2004 auction’s routine included a white man in blackface, identified in the footage as investment banker James Montgomery, CEO of the Santa Monica, Calif., firm Montgomery & Co. In addition to blackface makeup and the wig, Montgomery wore a leopard-print toga and an arm band made to look like it consisted of animal teeth.

During a lull in the auction, Frey refers to Montgomery and comments, “See how boring money management and stock investment is, people? It’s not nearly as much fun as, like, professional basketball.” …

Frey identifies Montgomery by name and says he is “just back from a Jerry Falwell sensitivity training seminar.” Referring to his appearance as a black caricature, Frey later says, “All I know is, this school is so conservative that Jamie Montgomery was almost not allowed in. They stuck him in the parking lot — they let him in. These are the jokes, people.”

Frey said that because people in the audience weren’t laughing — not even with one of Hollywood’s liberal icons on hand to give them permission. In fact, the video suggests that the only people who found the sight gag funny at all were Montgomery and Frey, who provided almost all of the related jokes. Hanks plays along with the gag, but besides the one remark about O’Reilly, he seems intent in this clip to keep making jokes about IPOs and to ignore Montgomery’s antics.

Niger Innis wasn’t laughing, either. The national spokesman of Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) called the skit “an orchestrated, heinous, and racist ‘Stepin Fetchit’ routine,” and demanded that Team Obama remove Hanks from their documentary’s narration. The Daily Caller also digs up a 2010 interview Hanks did with CNS News, in which he decried the slow pace of “enlightenment” on race relations in the context of the war against Japan in WWII, as a bit of context for Innis’ complaint. Interestingly, the video only came to light because the person who filmed the fundraiser in 2004 has grown irritated with Hanks for his “sharp-elbowed partisanship.” “Tom would be the first to scream ‘racist’ if a conservative put their arm around a ‘Wall Street Banker’ in blackface while their co-emcee made racists remarks,” she said. “He’s a hypocrite.”

I’m a bit torn on this. On one hand, I think people get way too sensitive about comedy routines, and taking the outrageous outrage to the level of a school fundraiser doesn’t seem healthy for anyone. On the other, if a Republican had participated in this skit — or even been videotaped in attendance while laughing at it — that would be proof positive of inherent GOP raaaaaaacism for years to come. The hypocrisy of the same crowd who likes to toss claims of racism at Obama’s opponents makes this fair game, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that in the end, this is just comedy … and lousy comedy at that.

Update: Innis is national spokesman for CORE, not its chair; I’ve fixed it above.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So, this banned person is NOT me, and it is NOT the “(Famous, Original) My Sharia Moor” on Ace, which IS me.

jamie gumm on March 20, 2012 at 10:08 AM

That explains it. I thought the original My Sharia Moor was funny and too smart to post something bannable here.

mikeyboss on March 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

My Sharia Moor on March 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Good on Ed, but I still don’t understand why predator got banned.

Bmore on March 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

This is the school Hanks supposedly sent his kid(s), right? Apparently, they don’t take too kindly to people of color at this 1%er school in Pacific Palisades.

I’m pretty sure Rick Perry was excoriated by the press for a painted-over rock on a ranch.

BKeyser on March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Or as Howard Dean might say, the only time you’ll find a room full of minority people at St Matthew’s is if you assembled the cleaning staff.

TugboatPhil on March 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

This mock outrage and indignation is a bit amusing. The real atrocity is Frey’s jokes. They’re horribly unfunny, and reminds me of this:

Jerry: Oh good. Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about Dr. Whatley. I have a suspicion that he’s converted to Judaism just for the jokes.

Father: And this offends you as a Jewish person.

Jerry: No, it offends me as a comedian.

Dante on March 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Hasn’t anyone picked up on the fact that Hanks is MC’ing an auction event, and then these two other guys start going on with black face?

Yes this is offensive.
Yes there is a media double standard.

But are we really going blame this on Tom Hanks somehow? I didn’t see him having much to do with the guy in black face. I don’t think we call Hanks a racist just because he’s around other people who are. Libs do this to us Conservatives all the time, but we’re better than they are.

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

And it really sucks, because that was probably the best nick I’ll ever come up with, too.

And the best one that a-hole will ever steal.

jamie gumm on March 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Brat on March 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I’d go, their music is the some of the best. If you want to have an eye opening experience, read Don Felder’s book about being an Eagle and being kicked out. These people are what they are, the difference is that we aren’t asking them to live up to mythical standards that they, themselves, don’t practice. Sunshine is good and can be humbling.

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Welcome to the Hotel California! You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Steve Z on March 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Please, don’t inject what should be common sense into the knee-jerk fray.

Dante on March 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

This has nothing to do with being PC. Black face has been offensive since the minstrel shows were removed from the stage over 70 years ago. And good for Innis for sticking to his principle no matter who is involved….haven’t heard from the NAACP hypocrites yet.
And Tom Hanks is not a great actor. His movies may sometimes be good but that is due to his supporting cast or co-stars, even in his voice-over for Toy Story. As for Forrest Gump…best movie only in someone’s drug induced hallucination. It beat out Pulp Fiction, Quiz Show, and The Shawshank Redemption for crying out loud….perfect example of how far the Osacrs have fallen.

Deanna on March 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Video: Comedy is not … pretty

Sometimes it is…the girl who didn’t know how long it took to drive 80 miles at 80 miles per hour was pretty…

Steve Z on March 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM

[Comment deleted, user banned -- Ed]

My Sharia Moor on March 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Good on Ed, but I still don’t understand why predator got banned.

Bmore on March 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM

That’s great, but in the mean time there’s another commenter still posting their garbage after calling the Palins Wh1te Tr@sh.

(Note: Evidently this two word term is bad enough to eject a comment)

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Not sure what Hanks means by this:

but I recently read a book on the Rape of Nanking. I’m still trying to come to grips with what I learned about the Japanese occupation in China.

I also read Ghost Soldiers before that about the imprisonment of Allied soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines in the Philippines. Also appalling.

Hanks should do a little research on this topic.

freedomfirst on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

You’re all outraged because of what you imagine hypothetical people would say if a hypothetical Republican laughed at this. Come on. Live in the now.

cjw79 on March 20, 2012 at 9:24 AM

oh please…

we don’t need to imagine what would happen, we just got another lesson in Liberals will use any excuse to silence and trash political opponents 101, with the entire Rush business..

we have decades of experience with liberals getting outraged at one of ours, no matter if it’s even true or not,.. if it fits the liberal bigoted stereotype of a “heartless conservative”.. you’ll smear us all by association, and do it endlessly.

How many times does the bat have to hit your face?

It only took the 70′s for us,.. everything since has been a broken record of liberal hypocrisy.

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

If we’re so much better, why are they winning?

And by “winning” I of course mean taking over journalism, Hollywood (which used to be incredibly conservative) and the educational system and indoctrinating people to the point that they could elect a totally unqualified Marxist and enough Democrats in Congress to back him up, so that they could ram a national healthcare law down our throats along with a boatload of other un- or extra-Constitutional freedom-sapping laws and regulations.

We can no longer afford to not fight back. That’s how we got where we are today. Tom Hanks is complicit; he’s picked his side, and it’s the same side that, if he were a Republican, would already be flooding the news broadcasts with discussions about what an awful person he is for participating in a blackface skit. That’s the standard Tom Hanks chose as his own, now let him live with it.

Laura Curtis on March 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Tom Hanks is worth 350 million and Glen Frey 70 million — they couldn’t make a simple donation instead of this nonsense???

Blake on March 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

What Libs do to us has nothing to do with this. Black face has been concisdered racist for a very long time and these guys, including Hanks, had to have known.
You are judged by the company you keep. Hanks could have asked them not to do this, or he could have somehow got them off the stage. Or better yet he could have apologized to the sudience…he was obviously the star.
But he didn’t.

Deanna on March 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Blake on March 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I think by doing this they attach some crazy monetary amount to it for their taxes.

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Dante on March 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM

ya know,.. it’s really nice you’re able to read minds and discern our anger at this is all just a put on..

Look,.. dude,… I already had to deal with an idiot liberal teacher bullying my kid in class for liking Sarah Palin,… she was 9 then.. I can perfectly well get flaming po’d at the left for their snickering hypocrisy, and if it jams your gears that anyone could actually get mad at having our entire movement slandered for fun by the left… you don’t have a clue about what it feels like to be on the recieving end of lefty love.

My anger at Hank’s is real.. he took a goodwill image and traded it into for a hateful partisan hack,.. he just destroyed with his Obama bootlicking any chance of having a legacy like Jimmy Stewarts..

Talk about what’s in YOUR head, you ain’t inside ours..

dude..

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

So that WAS Tom Hanks’ pick-up truck!

Ben Hur on March 20, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Obviously without parting with a single dime.

Cindy Munford on March 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

freedomfirst on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I go to church with a guy who’s mother lived through that. Imagine you’re a little girl and everyone you know is floating in a river or rotting on land in the village. The Germans get the publicity but this ranks right up there in ranking of war atrocities.

MNHawk on March 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Those that wish to exonerate Tom Hanks for participating is a seedy politically incorrect skit might want to remember that in a bank robbery the driver of the getaway car is still guilty of bank robbery!

I am so sick and tired of the double standard and the give them a pass because their are of course Hollywood elite-royalty. They sit high up on top of their multimillion dollar stacks of money and try to dictate to us how to think, act and feel about everything.

They are hypocrites and political bigots of the worst degree. Most of the time when attending fund raisers, they are so busy trying to get the widows mite that they are never asked why they hoard their own cash and hide behind their fancy gated communities in multimillion dollar homes filled to the brim with the things the widow will never own.

Tom Hanks may not have the black face make up on but he was a willing participant.

ActinUpinTexas on March 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Steve Z on March 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

That’s Don Henley. Glenn Frey is more topical.

There’s gonna be a heartache tonight, I know….after this video gets some play that is.

MNHawk on March 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM

o/t
…FREE predator…!!!

(I’m going the OWS mode today)

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

After seeing Trent Lott get tarred railoaded for wishing Strom a happy 100th birthday, I say hammer even the slightest hint of racism by the left. You know, dog whistles and such. Just ask Juan Williams how many racist words there are that we may not even know yet.

Schwalbe Me-262 on March 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Hanks lost me forever when he said this..

Hanks had come under attack from the Church of Latter Day Saints after he criticised Mormons who backed Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment to the state’s law.

Speaking last week at the premiere in Los Angeles of Big Love, a television series which he produces about a polygamist Mormon sect, Hanks had said that the proposal amounted to “codified discrimination”.

Tom Hanks, the nonplotical Tom Hanks was a loved actor,.. but lately he’s been getting overtly hyper partisan, working tirelessly to crank out propaganda for Obama… and yeah.. when an acyor shoves HIMSELF in front of a political issue, he has the responsibility to know he needs to respect ALL Americans wether he disagrees or not, Hanks did the opposite, only backing down when it hurt his ability to command a high salary.

Hanks did exactly what the left accused Rush of,.. only Hanks actually did it. Insulting not just Mormons, especially aftyer making a anti-Mormon movie designed to enflame feelings against them.. Every Romney supporter should be outraged by Hanks rank hypocrisy and rabid partisanship. He man that anti-Mormon film, when the dems thought Romney might win the nod in 08.. They were premature,.. but the year a promient Mormon runs for president, and Hanks just so happens to make a Mormon bashing film..

what a shock…

Expect that movie to find airtime soon on a cable outlet near you.. Tom Hanks, film maker to the King..

He added: “There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American and I one of them.” Following the outcry from church members, the star of Forrest Gump has backtracked.

“I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination,” he said in a statement through his publicist.

“But everyone has a right to vote their conscience – nothing could be more American.” He conceded his earlier remark “creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement”.

He added: “No one should use ‘un-American’ lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have.”

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ah yes! When it blows up in your face, slap a “IT’S JUST COMEDY!” defense on it.

GarandFan on March 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

freedomfirst on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I’ve only read parts of The Rape of Nanking, and all of Flyboys, and both gave me nightmares and gray hairs.

juliesa on March 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

“Any more videos out there? Bring them out, people.”- Bill Maher, as he slinks off stage for a break.

Yoop on March 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Forrest Gump? More like Racist Gump!

Crusty on March 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Luckily for liberals the woman who made this video is a stupid c*nt.

2Tru2Tru on March 20, 2012 at 11:19 AM

It’s Alinsky 101. Make them play by their own rules. Hanks is a racist.

WarEagle01 on March 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I’ve never had a problem with black face. It’s much in the same vein as a black person putting on light colored makeup and pretending to be a stuffy white person. If the person doing it regardless of white or black is actually funny, it’s entertaining.

I didn’t watch the video above because of the people involved, and after reading some of the comments, I made a good choice.

Kelligan on March 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Innis and CORE are now a reputable source? Last time I heard, they had no members except the Innis family.

AngusMc on March 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

It’s cool Hanks was dating Whoop Goldberg.

2Tru2Tru on March 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Given the topic, an allusion to Steve Martin is appropriate. Perhaps it should have been The Jerk, however?

Christien on March 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Tom Hanks, Hollywood Hypocrite

Christien on March 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM

On the Democrat plantation, the White man calls the shots….

Hening on March 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

This is pretty sick.

Mr_Magoo on March 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM

freedomfirst on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

MNHawk on March 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Definitely among the greatest of unknown and/or ignored atrocities. : (

listens2glenn on March 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

(I’m going the OWS mode today)

KOOLAID2 on March 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m with you ‘in spirit’, but please don’t go getting yourself banned.

listens2glenn on March 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Talk about what’s in YOUR head, you ain’t inside ours..

dude..

mark81150 on March 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Then you lead a very fragile existence.

Dante on March 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Waiting for all the liberal media outlets and hollywood types to condemn Hanks for participating in this….

How come all I hear are crickets?!

Sterling Holobyte on March 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM

At least Danny Glover wasn’t up on stage proclaiming the virtues of his favorite commie Chavez.

I’m not shocked at any of this though. I’ve come to expect the left to be racist, hypocritical socialists before all else. The last thing I’d expect them to be is funny.

Wolfmoon on March 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM

freedomfirst on March 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

MNHawk on March 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It’s history now, and Japan has changed a lot since then. But there’s a reason why virtually the entire continent of Asia hates Japan for atrocities during their imperial expansion, ending in World War 2.

Some of the old resentments are still there. We tend to assume that all Asians stick together, but the Koreans, the Filipinos, and the Chinese really don’t like the Japanese for exactly this reason.

tom on March 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Dear white America,
My skin is not your costume. My people are not caricatures for you to play dress-up in. Good lord, and we wonder why George Zimmerman is a free man. When you dehumanize a group of people into a costume you can do *anything* to them. Including getting away with murder. Oh and to sharrukin, more evidence has surfaced that Zimmerman pursued and stalked Trayvon.

libfreeordie on March 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Are you implying with this comment that Zimmerman is a free man because he’s white? It reads like you are, but maybe I’m wrong.

Because he isn’t white. His mother is latino, ergo Zimmerman is latino. ABC had to correct its original story when they labeled him a ‘white neighborhood watch member’ after Zimmerman’s father set them straight.

tdpwells on March 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM

AngusMc on March 20, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Um, immaterial to the thread. They didn’t make the racist video. The Hollywood elite entertainers did. CORE, for whatever they are, only commented on it.

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

The left should no longer get away with destroying conservatives with the very things they are guilty of. They need to be revealed as the hypocrites that they are, and worse, hypocrites who are willing to destroy others by taking away their livelihoods. I will never go to another Tom Hanks movie again.

lea on March 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Laura Curtis on March 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Okay this is probably the best argument. I guess in this brave new world of extreme political correctness, we have to attack Libs for their associations the same way they do to us.

I just think it’s ridiculous when either side does it. I mean most of us have been at a wedding where some drunk guy gives a completely inappropriate speech or toast. I don’t want to be seen as adopting the views of every drunk guy I’ve ever been at a wedding with.

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Hey, any more “devastating” videos from the clowns @ big government? That last one was a bit of a dud.

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Then you’ve already lost. You’ve allowed them to set the rules of the game – rules that don’t apply to them – and then you’re playing by them. All of which is meant to be a diversion.

Dante on March 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

(Note: Evidently this two word term is bad enough to eject a comment)

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You’re so sensitive, Jim! I’d tell you to toughen up, but I think you should have done that long ago.

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Heh.

This video looks like a typical weekend in your state.

Did you get that bond issue cleared up?

Or are you still not paying teachers and cops?

tetriskid on March 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree that Sandra Fluke is just “so sensitive.” She needs to “toughen up.” It’s just namecalling for crying out loud.

Right?

tdpwells on March 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Tom Hanks is a garden variety Hollywood tool.

Go figure.

SD Tom on March 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

If Hanks were true to his so-called tolerant, liberal beliefs, he would have either left immediately, or told the organizers that this wasn’t ok. He did neither. He kept MC’ing the event, cracking jokes along with Frey. His inaction equals acceptance.

Now the next way they will spin this is by looking into the guy in blackface. If this is James Montgomery, it looks like he gave $1000 to the Romney campaign last July. They’ll focus on that and push the narrative back to conservatives.

shaner5000 on March 20, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hanks is nothing but an aging leftist out of that commie cesspool known as Hollywood.

jqc1970 on March 20, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hanks did this a long time ago so it’s okay. Move along. Nothing to see here.

CycloneCDB on March 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’ll correct you once, but you’re on your own to demonstrate you have a soul next time.

libfreeordie on March 20, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Come off it. Not everyone agrees that this is an example of racism. Your skin isn’t a costume? Well, neither is mine. Are you also offended when the Wayans brothers and Dave Chapel dabbled in white face, even sometimes utilizing demeaning and potentially offensive white stereotypes?

Ultimately, I’d never do it, because I have no desire to offend people, not because I think it’s inherently racist. And yes, the other poster is right. This is his standard. Whether or not I agree with it, he should be judged by it.

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Libs do this to us Conservatives all the time, but we’re better than they are.

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This is how we prove that what they’re doing is wrong. If it never comes back to bite them, they’ll never stop. And allowing this to continue is not a moral high road. It’s the pretense of one.

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Let’s also not lose sight of the fact that

Frey is heard saying into his microphone: “This is as close to diversity as we’ll get at St. Matthew’s.”

BKeyser on March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Yep. My kids went to school in a neighborhood that was what you’d call ethnically diverse, and the school where I teach is the same. It’s the norm for us, evidently less so for the liberal white 1%.

Bob's Kid on March 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’m not entirely sure what management here is doing letting you post unfettered because you add nothing to the discussion, but it’s their blog and eventually they’ll pay for the neglect with lowered respect and less traffic.

You though. I just feel sad for you. You are obviously lonely and unsocialized where you have to troll online for dates begging that you’d watch chick flicks and you don’t know any better than to post a pic showing you in a messy, fire hazard probably in your basement.

As the kids would say: Epic failure.

So folks, don’t get angry at this person. Just feel sad that Ken is Ken and feel blessed that we aren’t him – fat, stupid and ugly having to beg on line for a date and trolling a blog for attention.

kim roy on March 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

kim roy on March 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hell, man, he don even troll gud. Woodnt even make a gud buckut of bait fur them swamp people fur gator huntin. Gator wud jus spit him out an tell him ta luk fur a date in a catfish hole.

Yoop on March 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

kim roy on March 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I’m sad that you’re sad!

KeninCT on March 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I swear I’ve seen this video before, and both Hanks and Frey took some heat for it. It looks very familiar.

I can’t remember where, but I know this has been shown before, maybe just by the local media in Southern California? Maybe on O’Reilly’s show?

Captain Kirock on March 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Dear white America,

libfreeordie on March 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

How about White Chicks?

Buttercup on March 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Dear white America,

libfreeordie on March 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM

How about Eddie Murphy doing the same thing on SNL or Richard Pryor doing the same thing during one of his prime time specials? Oh, you weren’t around then to see those? Not my problem.

princetrumpet on March 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Tom Hanks just become the male version of Barbra Streisand. There isn’t a conservative Republican I know that will spend their hard earned money on a movie he has acted and/or produced.

He has no idea what he has done to his career. His best stuff is behind him anyway.

Jurisprudence on March 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM

If you voted for Obama you can’t be racist, just like if you are pro abortion, you can’t be misogynist. If you are pro gay marriage, you can’t be homophobic and if you opposed the Iraq war, you can’t be islamophobic. If you spout global warming BS, your own carbon footprint is moot and if you call for higher taxes, it doesn’t matter what you pay in taxes. If you manage to accomplish all of these, you’ll probably get tenure.

trubble on March 20, 2012 at 9:30 AM

This is exactly what they believe. Their entire viewpoint is based on lies. God help them….and us even more! We just have to keep bringing the truth. Never stop. War!

redwhiteblue on March 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM

“He’s a hypocrite.” Well, he’s a Hollywood liberal, isn’t he?

Colony14 on March 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Remember, he’s an actor who got his start wearing a dress on a TV sitcom…

Colony14 on March 20, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I like this.

bigbeas on March 20, 2012 at 7:08 PM

How can any conservative put money in the pockets of liberal entertainers by supporting their movies at the box office or purchasing tickets for their comedy shows or music concerts? It just doesn’t make sense and I think it is a betrayal to one’s conservative principals to do so.

Why would any conservative purchase a ticket to see a movie starring Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Robert De Niro or George Clooney? Why would any conservative purchase a ticket to hear John Mellencamp or the Dixie Chicks or other liberal musicians in concert? Why would anyone purchase a ticket to see the gestures and hear the filth coming from the liberal comedians?

I dare say that any liberal entertainer would spit in the face of a conservative if there were no fear of retribution. These are not nice people. They may make good films and music, but there are many other ways to spend one’s time without supporting these ignorant, self-righteous morons.

The very core belief of these people is to make as much money as possible, live in a life of luxury and fame, and to hold on to every dime they make. Nothing wrong with that except conservative should be the ones to give up their wealth to the unfortunate according to liberal dogma. These “entertainers” want to vilify the very same people that worship and support them if they happen to be conservatives. They are of the same cloth as Obama and that is a very scary thought.

All are free to do as they wish, but my consensus is that one who professes to be a true conservative is a phony if they knowingly support any liberal of any profession.

metroryder on March 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM