Romney tells heckler to “vote for the other guy” for “free stuff”

posted at 11:35 am on March 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Fox Nation, RCP and MRC-TV pick up on what must be the most awesome heckler Mitt Romney has ever met.  While campaigning yesterday in Peoria, Illinois in advance of the primary today, a woman challenged Romney by demanding free birth control.  Romney told her she’s at the wrong rally:

Woman: ”So you’re all for like, ‘yay, freedom,’ and all this stuff. And ‘yay, like pursuit of happiness.’ You know what would make me happy? Free birth control.”

Romney:”You know, let me tell you, no no, look, look let me tell you something. If you’re looking for free stuff you don’t have to pay for, vote for the other guy. That’s what he’s all about, okay? That’s not, that’s not what I’m about.”

Romney has struggled to connect with conservatives, but in this case he hits the nail on the head.  The woman uses the common, historically- and politically-illiterate argument that “pursuit of happiness” means a right to delivery of happiness.  Nowhere in the foundational documents of this nation does the right to achieved happiness exist — only that government will stay out of the way of citizens who seek it to the greatest degree possible.

In this case, the woman believes that free contraception will make her happy.  That conflicts, however, with people of faith who think that not funding or facilitating contraception will make them happy, for whatever motives they have.  The proper role of government in this case is to stay out of the way of both, allowing the woman to seek financial relationships with those who want to provide free contraception, and allow those who don’t want to fund it to make that choice for themselves.  That is exactly the model that “pursuit of happiness” means.

The only question remaining is whether Romney’s campaign got the woman’s name and number, and arranged for a few more such appearances in the future.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

As opposed to the imbecilic people who trust Romney cause he only screwed up a state. Gotcha.

gryphon202 on March 20, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Can’t wait to see how many idiots on this forum ultimately vote for Obama in November.

After all of their Romney bashing what else are they going to do? They will own Obama and his four more years!

litebeam1 on March 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

litebeam1 on March 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You’ll have no one to blame but your own crowd for alienating the electorate.

New predictive election models are apparently showing that the average number of teeth in a district is inversely proportional to the size of the vote Rick Santorum will win.
bluegill on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

litebeam1 on March 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You’ll have no one to blame but your own crowd for alienating the electorate.

bluegill on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

He’s not in anyone’s “crowd”.

Buy Danish on March 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You tell me, just what kind of idiot would decide their vote based on what some stranger, some where says on some blog? How many teeth do you think such a person would have?

MJBrutus on March 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Then you’re fine with it?

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I’m sitting here thinking, this person can’t even this one time admit that comment is over the top in her response? Really?

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM

As jokes go, that one was kind of lame. Aside from that, I can’t say I care a whole lot. It ain’t gonna make or ruin my day.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Then you’re fine with anything. No rules.

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Then you’re fine with anything. No rules.

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

On the QOTD today, some moron said something about PBHO’s daughter coming back pregnant from her trip to Mexico. I told him I thought it was out of line. You should go read the reactions I got from the fine folks at H/A. For the most part, I don’t give a flip about what people here say about candidates or each other or about me, for that matter.

MJBrutus on March 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I’ve been busy all day, so i didn’t catch this…

GO Mitt! Great response.

ooonaughtykitty on March 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Who is kidding who. Romney, or someone close to the Romney campaign, paid that idiot to ask that question.
I don’t see a goof like that showing up to a Romney campaign rally unless she was paid to show up.

smokin hot politics on March 20, 2012 at 8:05 PM

MJBrutus on March 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Selective civility?

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Good answer here, but I’m still thinking…Romneycare? Wasn’t that him giving out “free stuff”?

Kelligan on March 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM

The mandate pretty much covers the “free stuff” – no?

BabysCatz on March 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Ok, I’m going to be made fun of for saying this (and it has nothing to do with politics), but doesn’t Mitt look amazing in this video?

He looks like a model from a Polo Ralph Lauren commercial.

Anyway, the questioner in the video cracks me up. “You’re all for like, yay freedom and all this stuff and, yay, pursuit of happiness.” She sounded ridiculous, of course, but I don’t think Ed should have called her a heckler. I wonder how she feels now after getting all this attention.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 6:50 AM

You’ll have no one to blame but your own crowd for alienating the electorate.

bluegill on March 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Oh, give me a break. That was a harmless comment.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I wish Ed Morrissey would have posted the ENTIRE exchange between Mitt Romney and the questioner at this event.

Romney handles this very well.

VIDEO: Mitt Romney Tells Heckler to “Vote for Other Guy” for “Free stuff” (LONGER VERSION)

I want this man as president.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 7:23 AM

And here’s an even longer version from the same event.

VIDEO: Romney is very impressive in this question/answer session.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 7:39 AM

hawkdriver on March 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Oh, give me a break. That was a harmless comment.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Only if your intention is to alienate other candidates supporters.

hawkdriver on March 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I want this man as president.

bluegill on March 21, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Barring any more intensity of the Only Romney shills and spin doctors poisoning the well, I could probably be content too with him beating Obama. But I have to say, your attacks on Santorum and Gingrich have been more off putting than anything I’ve seen. I’ll admit, rather than trying to engage your comments, the result of reading them is more an urge to trade an insult. So I just haven’t replied to many of your posts. But that insult last night regarding Rick Santorum I thought was just beyond the pale. Considering that Jimver was decrying arngryeds venom or whatever, I thought it the height of hypocrisy to then comment on how funny your barb was.

Could you vote for Santorum if he won the nomination? I realize that your safe response would be it’s a mote question since the Illinois primary. But entertain this one question. If he won or was picked as VP, would you vote for him?

hawkdriver on March 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Except of course when it comes to the taxpayers taking over the pension obligations of companies he has plundered.

Privatize Gain, Socialize Loss
- Vote Romney

plewis on March 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

NYT write up of this incident, “women and children hardest hit.”

Dr. Demento on March 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I don’t trust Romney one bit, he’s flip flopped on too many issues. But he certainly talks the talk. Seeing as we’re stuck with him, I hope he proves me wrong. This is what we need to see, stand up to the lefty scroungers and tell them their free lunch is over.

steve123 on March 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM

it was good the severe conservative had to learn conservatism from gingrich and santorum…

Dr. Demento on March 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

OK, he just went up a notch on the Conservative Meter. That was absolutely the right answer.

morganfrost on March 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM