“Walking Dead” season finale: Group of unlikable people still alive, still unlikable

posted at 10:10 pm on March 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Last chance until October for me to milk this show for easy content so I’m a-takin’ it. Nine million people watched last night, making it the most-watched episode of any show on basic cable among viewers under age 49 — ever.

A few thoughts. One: When the zombie herd started its stampede through the farm, what exactly was the strategic point of driving around randomly and shooting at them? It was obvious pretty quickly that there were too many to kill. Why waste ammo and take needless risks in blasting a few instead of driving off? Two: Reader Flip Pidot asks a good question via e-mail about the killing of Shane, which aired again in the recap last night at the very beginning. Quote:

I thought I’d seen this last week, though I handn’t bothered to review the dvr. But tonight’s recap confirmed – Carl definitely raises the gun before Zombie Shane reanimates. Is this just a sloppy/cheap edit to hammer home the audience fakeout that he’s taking aim at dad, or was that Carl’s real kneejerk intent when he’d seen Rick had killed Shane?

Carl veering off the reservation seems like an interesting dynamic, especially with Shane’s departure, so I kind of sadistically (and artisically) hope it wasn’t just a cheap editing sleight.

He’s right, Carl did raise the gun before Shane reanimated. Watch the scene from last week’s episode. At first I thought maybe Carl simply anticipated Shane reanimating and wanted to be in a position to shoot, but no, that can’t be. Carl didn’t find out until last night that everyone reanimates upon death whether they’ve been bitten or not. And he didn’t know how Shane died, so what reason did he have at the time to think a zombie did it? Or maybe the idea is that he concluded a zombie must have done it because he couldn’t imagine his pop knifing Shane in the gut?

Three: I’m not looking forward to the scenes in the prison next year. The lesson of the series thus far is that when the location gets static, things slow down and get very talky. Maybe you’re excited to hear Rick and Lori have their thousandth Meaningful Conversation about how to raise their son. I’m not. Fourth and finally: Why are these people so willing to accept Rick as group leader? Shane was charismatic and had a survival-of-the-fittest ethos suitable for Zombieworld. You can imagine him as group leader, ruthless though he was. Rick is leader now basically by process of elimination: Herschel’s too old, Glenn’s too young, Darryl’s too sullen, and T-Dog doesn’t get any lines. Why not make Andrea leader? She likes to shoot and has enough of a ruthless streak. And unlike Mr. Rogers, you don’t have to listen to her yap yap yappin’ 24/7 about the group staying together. A few weeks of that and I’d be praying for zombie deliverance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

MICHONNE!

El_Terrible on March 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Where do they film this?

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Why not make Andrea leader?

They left her behind.

Rational Thought on March 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Three: I’m not looking forward to the scenes in the prison next year.

The next season at the prison should be really good. The prison = the coming of the Governor.

El_Terrible on March 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Great episode!

I knew the second half of the season would pick up.

Anyway. I’m glad Rick put everyone in their place last night.

blatantblue on March 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I want one of those 50 round capacity shotguns like Hershel has.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM

still alive….still unlikeable….mitt romney

renalin on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Why did they decide to stop in the middle of the day to set up camp? How does that help them get gas?

commodore on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Wrong. The camera is high enough above Shane that he could easily have moved a bit before getting up.

Pat Meebles on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I was hoping Lori would die. She is due, hopefully she gets it in the prison like in the novel.

Michonne is like a good Shane, kick ass, but only sees right and wrong, far and away the best character in the novel.

Mostly they killed off chaff last night, but as long as the zombies were eating I was happy.

Rick looks to be finally figuring out Lori. He’s a dumb ass but gets better as the story goes on. The revelation about everyone being infected was a let down, the cat was out of the bag long ago.

Rode Werk on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

AP, love ya, but get a life. Who, besides the Couch-Anchored watches such crapola anymore?

TXUS on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

What about Zombie Samurai Girl?

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

HollyWood is going to wreck this one with Rick.

Go back to the bar, guns down two humans who did draw on him first, so it was OK to do so.

Then saves some turd who fell off a roof after just shooting at Rick.

Anyone know a man, any man who would do such a thing with zombies setting up an impressive perimeter for those who have nothing but lower brain fucntions?

Only in HollyWierd. This is fantasy… but c’mon!

Hog Wild on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Awesome episodes.

How long before the left tries to ban Herschel’s infinite capacity shotgun?

alchemist19 on March 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I thought it was obvious that Carl was pointing the gun at his father first. Insanity is inherited from your mother’s side, apparently.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Stopped watching after season one, worst show ever, they are ruining zombies for the younger generation.

boogaleesnots on March 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

For all the criticism this show gets, its faults sure don’t seem to get in the way of monster ratings.

It’s become one of my favorites, and the last 3-4 episodes have been spectacular.

Btw, I too thought initially Carl raised his gun before Shane re-animated, and wondered why no one was talking about it last week. But on closer inspection, Carl is always looking to the right of Rick, aimed toward Shane. What isn’t shown on camera, presumably then, is Shane starting to re-animate (move around on the ground), but not yet on his two feet. He was not pointing the gun at his dad.

jjraines on March 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Ugh. Insert my usual whining complaint about TV nowadays here. Well, my work is done.

whatcat on March 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Can we talk about how downright irritating Lori has gotten?

A few weeks ago, she basically tells Rick to kill Shane.

She then tells Shane the baby could be his — setting him off on his little “I’m gonna kill Rick in the woods” plan.

Rick then HAS to kill Shane and –

Lori gets pissed! It was her fault from at least two directions! I’m beyond done with her…

HomerS3 on March 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I would love to see Lori eaten alive by zombies.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Group of unlikable people still alive, still unlikable

…well, we have that problem here too…since the second open reg!

KOOLAID2 on March 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Carl did raise the gun before Shane reanimated

My impression is that Rick looked a bit like a zombie when Carl first saw him. Rick’s covered with blood and stumbling around a bit. By the time Carl realizes that Rick’s alive (Rick calls out to Carl), Shane the zombie had risen and Carl kept the gun up for other reasons.

solatic on March 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

For me it didn’t matter when Carl raised the gun, I was just cheering for him to anticipate the recoil, jerk the trigger, shoot Rick in the head, get eaten himself by Zombie Shane and then have Daryl or Herschel (who has totally redeemed himself in the second half of this season) take over so things would start being done right. Alas…

alchemist19 on March 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Michonne with her two chained zombies was awesome!

Lady MacBeth Lori needs to be zombie food next season.

RedRobin145 on March 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

TXUS on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Nine MILLION people, that’s who.

HomerS3 on March 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Rode Werk on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Only because of the comic, and internet speculation. I actually liked the setup though, starting with the two cops with “only scratches.” And with Randall and Shane last week, I think it was more about definitely answering what Jenner whispered, than the obvious confirmation that once you die you Zombify.

jjraines on March 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Haven’t seen the show. I’m holding out for the Food Network’s version “Wokking Dead”.

malclave on March 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Seriously, I’m pretty sure Herschel typed in the “infinite ammo” cheat code before he started taking out zombies.

CaliSwag on March 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

HomerS3 on March 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Yup. He has to slap a B.

blatantblue on March 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM

The Walking Dead – Rick’s campaign.

rubberneck on March 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM

One. How does one score all those long distance headshots from a moving vehicle?

Two:

How long before the left tries to ban Herschel’s infinite capacity shotgun?

3…2…1…

Oh, I really enjoyed Hershel’s character going into old school Infantry mode and just hammering away at the Zombies, but why weren’t the bodies piling up? WTF?

bigdicksplace on March 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM

The fact that everyone is infected and goes zombie when they die creates an obvious problem. If anyone dies of natural causes in their sleep (like Hershel, because he’s old) they will wake up as a zombie and the others are easy targets as they sleep.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Where do they film this?

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Filmed in Georgia. It says in the credits. They might even get a tax break for doing there as anywhere can look like anywhere.

tjexcite on March 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

This was the kind of season finale I was hoping for. We get Zombies to infinity, lots of guns and flesh eating. We finally see the truth about the infection (though it was obvious to the 4th wall, to the characters, not so much).

We have to remember that this isn’t high drama, this is a story based off of a comic. It’s fun, but let’s not get too deep.

And no, Carl wasn’t about to shoot Rick. Notice that we don’t see Shane get up, but Carl does. That’s when he raises the weapon.

john1schn on March 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Insanity is inherited from your mother’s side, apparently.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Just look at her picture in the opening credits.

BDavis on March 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM

TXUS on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

You can always count on a couple of comments like this. These are the typical I-am-smarter-and-cooler-than-you-cause-I-don’t-watch crowd. Which usually means they are dumber and less cool than you but try to prove they are not by proclaiming they “don’t watch this crap”.

One problem I had was the Suburban that ran out of gas. Why would you keep that pile of crap when you are on a highway with hundreds of better more reliable looking cars around?

The Notorious G.O.P on March 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM

tjexcite on March 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

I thought it was. I know some folks that work on it. Thanks. The GA tax breaks have worked very well for the film industry I am told.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I am not a Southerner, but take note:

These last episodes are all about a put down on Georgian gun-culture. I mean, do any of you know anyone in the South with so little ammo? If they would just break into homes of my friends (Knoxville, Columbia, San Antonio, Mobile, Savannah, Athens, just to name a few), they’d have been set for months……especially the way they’ve been buying since The One has been in office. The onslaught would have been just some good ole plinking from the porch.

Sheesh.

Shaughnessy on March 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Glenn finally said I love you to Maggie….I love happy endings…
Well at least last night….

Oh yeah can’t wait to see hooded Samurai Girl…..MICHONNE…

dec5 on March 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I picked up the first book last week, can’t wait to read it! I was in the middle of the Hunger Game series, so I had to finish that first…

ellifint on March 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

The farm scene reminded me of footage from the OWS at Zucotti Park, but with less killing and blood.

Bishop on March 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Why didn’t old man Dale reanimate as a zombie after the mercy killing? That’s what I want to know.

Shane sacrificed Otis to save his own butt, and tried to rape Lori in the firs season. Then he tried to kill his own friend. Not suitable for a protagonist.

This season explored the obligatory “are we losing our humanity amidst the Zombie apocalypse” angle. We all saw it coming. Better get it out of the way now than in season 7.

Mad Kimchi on March 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

AP,

How could you forget about Michonne in your write up? That was EPIC television right there!

Flawed on March 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

AP, the the farm was lame in the comics too, but the prison arc is awesome. It is clear we will be getting some Michonne (whos reveal was solid gold and I think the fanboys were going to revolt if she didnt show up soon) and the Prison also means we will be getting the Governor who is the most wicked badguy in the WD.

Also if you watch the after show, Talking Dead, Glenn Mazzarra pretty much implied that the reason that it was so talky this season was that their budget was a little scratchy, but it will be better this coming season because the numbers were so good.

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Who did Shane knock boots with in the truck?

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Flawed,
I dont think AP reads the comics, he does not understand the ada$$ery that is coming with Michonne.

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

He was shot in the head.

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Daryl, shot him in the head.

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

ellifint on March 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

How are you? I’m hoping I don’t have you confused with someone else. Have you been making yourself at home here at HA?

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I don’t know why they just rode around and shot zombies in the head while the farm burned.

But it was spectacular.

JDF123 on March 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Because they already put a round through his brain.

The Notorious G.O.P on March 19, 2012 at 10:52 PM

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yeah, I heard budget wise, they are getting screwed by the network due to their love for Mad Men.

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I think the proper term is ‘graphic novel’, but absolutely agree.

I watch the show because I think its more interesting than most, but its not something I would buy on DVD to rewatch over & over. I might read the, uh, books after so the spoilers are limited.

clancy_wiggum on March 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I’m trying really hard not to have any knowledge of this show but between The Husband and AP it’s just not possible. He (husband) seems to think people are turning into Zombies without being bitten (or whatever they do) by another Zombie. He wonders if what turns folks into “walkers” is not airborne.

Cindy Munford on March 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Dont get me wrong, I love Mad Men, but I think that both shows are making enough money now that they are able to spare the cash.

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Your posts on this show have been a little iffy, IMO.

Here’s why.

You’re so disinterested, you only pay attention sporadically!

:P

blatantblue on March 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Saw the Mad Men actors on GMA this morning, they looked jelly due to all the press that TWD is getting :)

Flawed on March 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM

commodore on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Why do they never salvage gas from a freeway full of cars? Why do they never search police stations or sporting goods departments in the small towns for ammunition? With zombie herds migrating, I’m starting to wonder just who the dumbest creatures are. I won’t be back next fall.

cartooner on March 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

TinCanNav on March 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I dunno. Kurt Sutter was talking about this last year on his blog.

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I want all of these people to die with the exception of Darryl and Herschel. Rick’s wife needs to go.

Darryl should be the leader. He knows how to survive, he is self sufficient, he can teach others how to survive in the woods, and he actually cares about the group while Shane was mentally unstable. The elitist yuppies in this show would never accept him as the leader though.

If I were in this group, I would stick close to Darryl and try to get T-Dog and Glen to come along because they all have proven their use. No way will I be a human shield for Rick’s pregnant wife who seems to hate her husband and can’t keep track of her own son. You’re on your own Rick.

Poor Herschel, these people basically wrote his, and his family’s, death warrant.

I have no interest in watching the show anymore, I’m done after this season. Maybe when the 3rd season is through I will check it out on Netflix but I can’t stand this manipulative writing which forces us to like or dislike certain characters instead of allowing the relationship to grow naturally.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I thought it was pretty compelling TV.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on March 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Mark1971 on March 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Might have problems for the Latino “gang” from season one who was looking after elderly from a nursing home.

It might be if the brain dead before death and not just the body. When you die of a heart attack or organ failure your brain might be fully functioning. But if you have an aneurism or stroke the brain is dead before death. It all depends on how you die. If you die from starvation you become a zombie but if you die of dehydration you don’t because of they way the brain reacts to dehydration over just starvation.

tjexcite on March 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Oh, and if they are all already infected with the Virus, doesn’t that mean Rick’s unborn child is a Zombie? That is how his wife should go, by having the fetus eat his way through the womb in a reverse abortion.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I cannot wait for the next season to start. By the way, Rick offered everyone to leave. By staying with him, they acknowledge him as their leader. This was an clever way to consolidate power on Rick’s behalf. But…no one is talking about his “this is not a democracy anymore” line?

long_cat on March 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Darryl’s bro will be back

blatantblue on March 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM

long_cat on March 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

People are talking about it, that’s why we find it so hard to believe Rick is accepted as the leader.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

A few weeks of that and I’d be praying for zombie deliverance.

No atheists in fox holes or farms being overrun by zombies, eh?

Bruno Strozek on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

So no one ever thought to acquire an abandoned Brinks truck as a bug-out vehicle? Or to arm themselves with machetes, or for that matter baseball bats? How about a bulldozer with reinforced driver cabin? A big steamroller? Or how about collecting innumerable rifles and ammo left behind by the national guard? Tractor-trailer? For that matter, why not go to a local RV yard and get a nice modern diesel super RV? Or a half dozen of them? Fortify the windows a la A-Team.

Yeah yeah… they go looking for any of these things and they’re set upon by a horde of slow-moving mindless zombies.

How about decoys? Shoot a cow or horse and let a couple dozen zombies focus on that. Or maybe a remote-activate noisemaker in the woods? Or how about using battery-powered walkie talkies?

But no, they can ride ear-splitting Harleys around and shiver in the woods. That works.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve not missed an episode of this frustrating series.

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Definitely better lately, with at least some action (last night, a lot).

But it’s kind of funny how mediocre successful script-writing is these days. The whole Rick and Laurie scene where he confesses to kiling Shane was ridiculous – Rick didn’t even describe what happened, or what he did. Shane was clearly nuts a bit before this episode, others had noted that; he pulled a gun on Rick and basically told him why he was going to kill him, Rick tried to reason with him for some time – none of this is in Rick’s explanation to his wife. Makes no sense at all – so wrenching bad that it seems like two different crews wrote and shot different parts of the episode. As it was the central inter-personal issue of the episode, the self-contradiction and incoherence are especially embarrassing.

You can’t really excuse that sort of freshman script-writing error, but I suppose you have to excuse the other, lazy script problems like Carl, who constantly does insanely dangerous things that he’s never done before, would never do, and is barely reprimanded by his parents, who otherwise are made out to be obsessively worried about, and focused on, him. (Yes, we’ll give a pass to his absurd accuracy with his first pull of the trigger from a 1911, at a small target 10 yards away, at night, under stress, at age 11, inches from his daddy’s earlobes – just like we have to suspend disbelief about Hershel’s 100-round shotgun and the uncanny marksmanship of the other amateurs with their headshots from vehicles bouncing over farm fields, at night ….).

As noted by someone above, stopping in the middle of the day because one vehicle is out of gas is also completely implausible, within the parameters of the show. But that just reminds us of how badly written it is when comes to just about every obvious practical matter. These people spent months on the farm, doing apparently not much, including even thinking about defensive measures, or emergency prep. No static defenses, no response plan, no redoubt/Alamo, etc. And they have the entire planet to loot, but can’t seem to have multiple vehicles, plenty of fuel, suppressors for their firearms so poor Daryl doesn’t have to cross-bow every walker to maintain silence – hell they even were worried about food for the winter. WTF?

Not saying it’s not amusing second-rate entertainment, for those who watch 2-3 hours of TV per week – but it’s just striking how mediocre so much of Hollyweird is any more. Same story line, same characters, vastly better script would be easy to put together over beers for a randomly selected sample of this commenting audience.

IceCold on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Darryl is pretty smart guy. I like the way he defended himself at the end.

0bamaderangementsyndrom on March 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I’m only watching this show because I have nothing else to watch until the next season of Breaking Bad.

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

That was a kick ass season finale. Sure, Hershel’s shotgun was too amazing, but the criticisms here about the behavior of the survivors while the farm is being overrun are weak. The chaos was extremely well done, and chaos is hard to do. You have to have the characters behaving stupidly/courageously, as people really do in chaotic life and death situations, without the stupidity being over the top.

I’m glad Andrea survived. It looked grim when she first went down under a walker at the farm (not so much grim when she was saved at the end …. by then we knew she was going to make it out alive, or they wouldn’t have made her desperate run alone through the walker infested woods so long). She’s been my one of my two favorite characters for a while.

fadetogray on March 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM

ellifint on March 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM

~~~~

I am enjoying it here very much, for the most part, Bmore, thank you for asking!!

ellifint on March 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

LOL, awesome

The Notorious G.O.P on March 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Walking Dead — snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for yet another season? Inconceivable!

I do not think I will be allowing myself to be led around by my nose watching it, again, come this October. I haven’t watched one episode this season, yet. Probably won’t bother either. I was pretty much finished by the time Season One finished anyway.

SD Tom on March 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

One word: MICHONNE!!!

Y’all betta recognize.

libfreeordie on March 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I am not a Southerner, but take note:

Sheesh.

Shaughnessy on March 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I’ve thought about this, mainly because I’ve been on a similar line of thinking for quite some time until it dawned on me how bad the series would be if these people were smart and prepared. We get frustrated when we see them go to county equipment depots and pass by fuel trucks, not use that fuel to tow the heavy equipment from there to the farm to dig trenches and set up better defenses, not scavenge the land for enough ammunition to supply an army but if they did all that the show would be nothing except everyone sitting around and talking all day. It would be everything you hated about the search for Sophia except without the occasional zombie kill. You need dumb people for a zombie apocalypse to make for entertaining television.

alchemist19 on March 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Allahpundit would follow a lunatic that would shoot him in the butt and leave him for zombie chow. Sorry a group trying to survive a combat situation must be able to trust each other. Will you be there for me in a tight spot, maybe is not good enough!

Shane was beaten twice by Rick and proved to be the inferior animal anyway. I am not sure why your so enamoured with him being some sort of Alpha dog.

One note: The guy who made it clear not to expect to much because it is a comic book deserves the humpbot award of the year. This story is about the dumb versus the brain dead. They have yet to build on fortification or underground shelter. For goodness sakes they have all the building material they could ever need. Zombies
don’t dig, zombies don’t climb, get a clue!

Still love the show as most of television is overrun with reality tv that makes me want to vomit, enough already.

Africanus on March 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

AND it looks like my hunch about the characters (that they were already infected, that that was what the frazzled-suicide doctor in the CDC whispered in Rick’s ear while the group was there and had blood tests) was/is true and that I was **FIRST** to make that hunch known (here, way back when and on twitter).

I read later on IMDB boards and also on twitter where many fans started debating that possibility, but **I WAS FIRST to make it**. Hooray for me…BUT it was simple deduction from the wanton behavior of Rick afterward and all the disregard for “possible transmission” of some infectious agent. Only way the characters’ behaviors made sense was that they were already infected…

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I kinda like the characters of Glenn (Asian guy) and Herschel (old guy who owns “the farm”). Rick’s wife, Lori, is extremely annoying — as are nearly all hysterical females who run around advising everyone else on how everyone else is not to be trusted — and her and Rick’s son, Carl, is dingy.

And why is Carl, who is the only child any of these characters have seen in weeks if not months, why is he the kid who no one seems to ever watch or keep track of? Wanders off into the woods, steals pistols, taunts zombies…yet no one notices or asks about the kid. His mother, Lori (Rick’s wife) finally started screaming for him when the zombie hoard approached but not until then, seemed to even notice wasn’t “there”.

I’m committed to the show because I’m committed to the story development but you’re right in that the characters aren’t likable. I’m just glad that Season 3 will show them in a new locations with new characters added in.

But still waiting for Merl to reappear.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My one big plot hole complaint. Hey Rick, how about checking the BLEEPING gas gauge on your gas guzzling SUV once in awhile, and oh yeah, you’re on a highway with a bunch of abandoned vehicles. Pick up a damn siphon hose before you leave the highway! Duh!!!!!

Teacher in Tejas on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

… why not go to the coast at Savannah or the Carolinas or Jacksonville, where they can live on abandoned luxury yachts? Or on a coastal island? Florida keys? Fishing pole + cast nets = unlimited food. Or just stay on the beach where at least there’s one less direction from which to be overrun?

And where are the dogs? Surely there are countless dogs running loose… not all would have been caught/eaten. And what about the silence, without any more traffic on land or air the natural silence must be surreal. Again… why the loud Harley? How about just riding bicycles? They’re quiet, need no gas, and the zombies can’t do much better than a medium-paced stumble.

The more I think about it, the more this show irritates me.

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

CAST of characters, Season (most are principle players so are still involved)…

“Merle” I mentioned earlier (above) for those who aren’t familiar with the show, is nutty wildman brother of character, “Daryl Dixon”.

AND, I can’t imagine why people were so thrilled with character, “Dale.” I thought he was annoying, though sorry to see him go the way of the Zombie/Walkers.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Thoughts — this episode crystallizes for me that the reason this particular group is suffering in the zombie apocalypse is because they yap away too much about their personal problems (as if still living in 2012), and don’t focus like a laser beam on solutions. There’s no gaming or strategy stuff (just on-the-fly improvisation)?

If Allah and I were hanging out by the fire, I’d be saying to the man, “Hey, Allah, these Zombies are stupid as hell. They’re automatons. They don’t change up. Their only advantage is numbers and sometimes they sneak up on you in an open field (somehow). We’re humans with brains, therefore, we should be able to out-think them. There has to be a smart strategy we can use each and every time even when faced with hundreds of them. Don’t you think, Allah, that it’d be worth the investment in time to think about long-term strategies for effectively neutralizing them, rather than obsessing over who should be team leader and who is shtupping my wife?”

Example…let’s go to D.C and live in the White House, that’s got to be a fortified compound. Why not just find an abandoned house — like the one in that housing subdivision near Hershel’s farm, board it up, and live there (just like the black man and his son were in the first episode). How about transferring gas from the smaller car to the out of fuel bigger car (since it has more seats)?

These people need to navel-gaze less and think more.

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Teacher in Tejas on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I thought the very same thing. All those abandoned vehicles, suggestive of a lot of abandoned gas among them, and no one siphoned off a gas can full or more.

I guess we can excuse that ignorance by Rick and the group out of their panic to avoid a likely-returning Walker-Hoard, but, really, how much time could it have taken to just take a few cans of abandoned fuel before taking off for parts unknown?

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Teacher in Tejas on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Exactly! THis statement makes no sense: “We’ve been riding on red/empty for the last hour.” WHAAATTTT????

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM

These people need to navel-gaze less and think more.

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I was thinking the same thing, too.

There they are on the open road, this Walker-Horde all around them in the woods all around the road and there’s Rick and wife, Lori, having this heart-to-heart confessional. I found myself wanting to prod the two of them.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

If I hear Lori say, “Where’s Carl!!” in that whiney bitchy voice one more time I am going to put a 10mm right through the screen!!

Well, I will lock the ammo up from now on. :o)

Bulletchaser on March 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Which reminds me: I actually enjoyed Season 1 of Prison Break (“Lori” was on that show.) Season 1 only though.

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I hope in Season 3 (this Fall) that the writers will get more action and energy into the scenes than we’ve seen in Season 2 and do away with those unrealistic long, delayed evocations among characters who seem more preoccupied with their arguments with one another and less about staying alive and providing present and future for themselves and others. Having those many recurring “emotional sharing” discussions among characters (or between them) isn’t realistic to the premise of the show itself, nor to the situations involved.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Skimmed thru the comments and didn’t see it said, did any one notice that the zombies went on the rampage just shortly after a helicopter flew by?

Rovin on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I want Rick to run off with Andrea. Lori and Carl annoy the living heck out of me. I loved it when Andrea told Lori off. That was awesome.

Lori suddenly being mad/disgusted with Rick for DEFENDING HIMSELF AGAINST HER CRAZED LOVER WHO WAS GOING TO KILL HIM just made me so very angry. She’s not even hot, so why would all the boys be fighting over her anyways?

Oh, and leave Rick alone, I heart him. No, I don’t need a good reason, I just do.

The thing about the ammo and sporting good stores/police stations/your friends’ houses… well, the zombie apocalypse has been going on for a while now. Probably all those sources of guns and ammo have been used up. I sure am not planning on leaving any ammo around for *you* guys to use when the zombies come chomping.

I do agree about the gas and supplies thing though. They should have stripped all those cars bare on the highway. And that’s part of my Lori hate (“I don’t like this, it’s a grave yard, whaaaaah”)

dragonhawk on March 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Pat Meebles on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Anyone want to take a guess as to why Carl felt no need to explain to his father why he was raising his gun at him? Was he just intensely focused? There was no instinct to say, “uhhh, dad? Move to the left please. No, the other left.”

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Agree, it’s almost like they’re trying to put a good drama together with a “reality show” intertwined.

Rovin on March 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I’d like to advance one out-of-left-field theory — would Hershel’s farm been at all protected if he still had those walkers in his barn? (i.e. the neutralizing effect)

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Another implausibe-to-the-story-premise character flaw, though:

this latest “hooded sword swinging female” character who saved Andrea in the final scene from this Season 2 just over, the character is chopping off Walker/Zombie heads with her sword but then, if the Walker/Zombie condition is to be believed, just detaching the head isn’t going to render the Zombie at an end…their heads and headless bodies will still be zombie-fied (have to destroy the Zombie brain to stop them).

Which means that Andrea, while lying there in the woods, could still be chomped on by the zombie-head lying there.

Details, details…

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM

ellifint on March 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Good, good, sorry for the slow response, I have been over at QOTD. Post more, its good to see you.

Bmore on March 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I hated “Lori” in Prison Break. I hate her even more in this character. How much will I hate her in the new prison.

On the bright side, maybe Michael will be there and break them all out! But I digress…

Mr_Magoo on March 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Pat Meebles on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

In reality, should this dreadful occasion be in “real life,” Carl would yell out at his father, Rick, you’re right .

But in this fictional drama, the kid, Carl, not warning his father, Rick, was a device to keep the audience in suspense as long as possible. Writer’s method.

Lourdes on March 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Rovin on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

That’s a detail that was mentioned in last night’s TALKING DEAD, without any conclusion about it, but mentioned twice as a curiosity (meaning, it’s something that’ll be of issue in Season 3, that helicopter flying overhead and the Zombie/Walker provocation by it).

I don’t know, haven’t the foggiest idea other than it’s obviously being premiered now as an introduction to what lies ahead. Maybe the helicopter/s is/are dropping hamburgers down and the Walkers are following their flying path… :)

Lourdes on March 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM