“Walking Dead” season finale: Group of unlikable people still alive, still unlikable

posted at 10:10 pm on March 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Last chance until October for me to milk this show for easy content so I’m a-takin’ it. Nine million people watched last night, making it the most-watched episode of any show on basic cable among viewers under age 49 — ever.

A few thoughts. One: When the zombie herd started its stampede through the farm, what exactly was the strategic point of driving around randomly and shooting at them? It was obvious pretty quickly that there were too many to kill. Why waste ammo and take needless risks in blasting a few instead of driving off? Two: Reader Flip Pidot asks a good question via e-mail about the killing of Shane, which aired again in the recap last night at the very beginning. Quote:

I thought I’d seen this last week, though I handn’t bothered to review the dvr. But tonight’s recap confirmed – Carl definitely raises the gun before Zombie Shane reanimates. Is this just a sloppy/cheap edit to hammer home the audience fakeout that he’s taking aim at dad, or was that Carl’s real kneejerk intent when he’d seen Rick had killed Shane?

Carl veering off the reservation seems like an interesting dynamic, especially with Shane’s departure, so I kind of sadistically (and artisically) hope it wasn’t just a cheap editing sleight.

He’s right, Carl did raise the gun before Shane reanimated. Watch the scene from last week’s episode. At first I thought maybe Carl simply anticipated Shane reanimating and wanted to be in a position to shoot, but no, that can’t be. Carl didn’t find out until last night that everyone reanimates upon death whether they’ve been bitten or not. And he didn’t know how Shane died, so what reason did he have at the time to think a zombie did it? Or maybe the idea is that he concluded a zombie must have done it because he couldn’t imagine his pop knifing Shane in the gut?

Three: I’m not looking forward to the scenes in the prison next year. The lesson of the series thus far is that when the location gets static, things slow down and get very talky. Maybe you’re excited to hear Rick and Lori have their thousandth Meaningful Conversation about how to raise their son. I’m not. Fourth and finally: Why are these people so willing to accept Rick as group leader? Shane was charismatic and had a survival-of-the-fittest ethos suitable for Zombieworld. You can imagine him as group leader, ruthless though he was. Rick is leader now basically by process of elimination: Herschel’s too old, Glenn’s too young, Darryl’s too sullen, and T-Dog doesn’t get any lines. Why not make Andrea leader? She likes to shoot and has enough of a ruthless streak. And unlike Mr. Rogers, you don’t have to listen to her yap yap yappin’ 24/7 about the group staying together. A few weeks of that and I’d be praying for zombie deliverance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

But in island that doesn’t have any road access, one that’s completely cut off from other land masses, would be safe, wouldn’t it? You’d need to take a boat or plane to the mainland for supplies, but you could make that work. The zombies can’t be everywhere at all times.

hawksruleva on March 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Not in the canon of World War Z.

Zombies don’t breathe so walking under water is no problem.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

hawksruleva on March 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You left out the most important subgroup.

Many fertile women of child bearing age willing, and able, to replenish the species.

cozmo on March 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Well, the theory was that they were driving around shooting at the zombies in order to draw them away from the house, thereby hoping to preserve their shelter.

Unfortunately this was stupidly undermined by a.) Lori screeching for her son on the front porch, and b.) Herschel (you know, the actual home owner) syands in front of the house firing off shotgun rounds nonstop.

I watch so few commercial TV shows in the course of a year that I sort of “decide” to like a show and commit to it. That is the case of Walking Dead – I committed to it at the outset, but I won’t be watching any future seasons. I felt obligated to finish up this season, but every show has me wanting to put my fist through the screen at the constant stupidity of the entire cast. This is not really the fault of the cast, but of the writers.

I am in the same boat with Dexter. Perhaps the greatest premise ever – a serial killer who only kills killers – plus I liked the first couple of novels. Inexplicably, I still watch it, even though I have to grit my teeth constantly at how bad the writing can be sometimes, and it is doubly bad as far as the female characters are concerned.

kjl291 on March 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

so, ROY, what would be your favorite r scott movie?

and have you really seen things we people wouldnt believe?

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Heh,tough to pick a favorite w/ Scott and he’s made as many stinkers as ones that are amazing. But, Alien, Blade Runner, & Gladiator are tough to pick a fave from.

Allah, perhaps merge this thread with the Prometheus one?

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM

This is not really the fault of the cast, but of the writers.

kjl291 on March 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM

And AMC, the same idiots that canceled Rubicon.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Zombies don’t breathe so walking under water is no problem.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

also in the romero canon specifically ‘land of the dead’ aquatic zombies were a main plot element.
additonally, in the 70s Fulci ‘zombi island’ there was aquatic zombie action: a zombie fighting a shark. hey it was the 70s, it was no sharktopus vs dino croc or anything, but it was quite nice in its days

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

One other point – RE: The scene that has Rick finally informing everyone that it is not a zombie bit that turns you into a zombie, but whenever anyone dies, of any cause, they will be reanimated as a zombie.

I thought it was just this really forced reaction by everyone as a justification for more drama. I mean, really, I suppose the information itself is somewhat significant, but not in the sense of being able to do anything about it. What, are the characters going to be more opposed to dying now?

But when Rick tells them, they are all “Dammit, why didn’t you tell us, so we could brood incessantly about this, instead of brooding incessantly about everything else?!?!?!?!”

kjl291 on March 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM

that final scene in BR. roys death soliloquy, amazing. supposedly ad libbed, somewhat. dont believe that tho. for those 2 1/2 minutes i take BR over alien. but i do remember the commericals for alien when it first came out. no one knew anything about it. they filled in the letters one portion at a time randonly, so you couldnt tell what it was spelling. that was a great trailer. simple. even that was suspenseful, scary. before the movie was even known or seen.

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I’m not really into zombies or vampires.

Lost Girl is my favorite. Kenzi & Bo are awesome.

MichaelGabriel on March 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

kjl291 on March 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Sorry, but if I was one of them, I would be angry about this. It is important information. If you are tending to someone who who hasn’t been bitten but dies, not knowing it could easily get you killed.

Rick weighed the value of people knowing versus what he arrogantly decided on his own would be the damage to the group from knowing, and then he threw in his own wishful thinking that it would not be true. It was a selfish and asinine and tyrannical thing to do.

That does not mean it was unrealistic at all. It is exactly the kind of information hoarding guys like Rick do. For good or bad, it is part of the whole “I am in charge” mindset.

fadetogray on March 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

My favorite part was Daryl pulling up on his hog just in time to save Carol and yelling “come on I don’t got all day” like this has all become normal for him. Which I suppose on some level it has for everyone. Regardless, it made me laugh.

Also, after Rick’s speech, it was the perfect moment for an 80′s movie-like slow clap. I don’t hate this show but sometimes it has been so absurb that I half expected someone to actually do the slow clap.

And, lastly, Lori must die. Worst. Character. Ever.

KateNE on March 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I didn’t understand the driving around like idiots trying to shoot zombies, with no back up plan once they were over run. How do you not say, “let’s all meet at point A, if this doesn’t work and we get overrun!” ??

The most irritating part for me was the fact that Herschel’s shotgun held 64 shells. Seriously, it probably held 4, yet he just kept shooting and shooting.

DCnative on March 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

If I hear Lori say, “Where’s Carl!!” in that whiney bitchy voice one more time I am going to put a 10mm right through the screen!!

Bulletchaser on March 19, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Maybe a new Walking Dead drinking game….

Every time Carl is off on his own…. you drink.
Every time Lori yells/screams “where’s Carl!?”…. you drink.
Every time someone makes a miraculous trick shot…. you drink.
Every time someone in the group is caught without a weapon…. you drink.
Every time the decision is “lets split up”…. you drink

And, for the bonus round, if you don’t have to go to work the next day….

Every time a weapon fires beyond its capacity…. you drink, per round over, until it is reloaded.

DonCherry on March 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Agreed – you’d think that even before the zombie attack they might have done some basic survival preparation, such as having a few (or several) “rally points” for whenever the group gets separated.

kjl291 on March 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Regarding Carl pointing the gun at Rick: Maybe he was afraid his Dad had been bitten. That’s what I’d like to think, anyway. It’s true it doesn’t make sense the way it was cut.

jdespirito on March 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

And, lastly, Lori must die. Worst. Character. Ever.

KateNE on March 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Lori’s character is well crafted. In that sense she is an excellent ‘character.’ The character is weak and manipulative and self absorbed and judgmental. Very realistic. Reminds me of my first wife.

fadetogray on March 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Funny, this was the first episode I’ve actually enjoyed in a very long time. It still has its flaws, but I like the idea that all dead people come back. That’s in the comic, but it didn’t look like they were doing that here. But it really makes the most sense. Otherwise, I don’t see how places like the CDC could be overrun.

But then Rick mentioned that they were all infected, not that everyone on the world is. Could be they just got too close to the zombies while fighting them (they did often get blood all over themselves) but that other people are still clean.

Also, love the new character that was introduced near the end. I hear she brings a lot to the comic book, and it’s about time someone showed the survivors we’ve been following how to actually survive. Shane was interesting, but he was a one trick pony who was getting old.

The prison seems interesting from a survival standpoint. So long as you have a safe tunnel that leads to more supplies, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t stay there indefinitely.

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

DCnative on March 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I was surprised the front handguard didn’t catch fire.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Not all the people on the show are unlikeable. I still dig Sheriff Rick and Daryl Dixon.

AP said:

That puzzled me too.

I guess they could have just drive off without shooting, but that would’ve been kind of dull.

Some of the zombies did need to be shot at, though, like when Andrea went to save Carol, who was trapped by a circle of them.

AP said,

Talky is fine! We need character development. I am a total zombie lover, but even I would get bored seeing nothing but non stop zombie attacks/ zombie killings every five minutes.

AP said

I hate to tell you, but the show/comic writers have said from the beginning that is indeed a main point of the whole Walking Dead world, to show what impact it has on a kid to be raised during the apocalypse, what it’s like for the parents to instill values into a kid growing up in a world with no rules.

I addressed this in a post in your last Walking Dead thread. Shane was a socio-path, and he was selfish. He only cared about himself (and maybe Lori). He was not (contrary to his speech to Andrew) not calm and collected in times of crisis as Sheriff Rick usually is.

Shane was too afraid/ shocked to shoot zombie girl sofia or Dale, so Rick (and Daryl) had to do that. Shane was a psycho nut who was going to shoot his BF Rick to steal his kid and wife. The show writers said Shane operates on a basis of fear, not sanity and reasoning, like Rick.

If you behind needs saving, Rick will save you – Shane will not, so who would you really rather partner up with, the guy who will just dump you cold, or the dude that will risk his life to save yours?

Good interview with show writer:
Walking Dead Show Writer on deaths of major characters, on Carl shooting Shane, etc

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Where do they film this?

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Some of it was filmed on location in Georgia.

If I’m not mistaken, the scene with Dale getting killed by a zombie, or at least part of it, was filmed in a studio set (not sure where the set was located though). I read that in an article about the show.

Ap said, Why not make Andrea leader?

They left her behind.

Rational Thought on March 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Good point.

Andrea got separated from the group. She is running for her life out in the woods, being chased by zombies.

I was a little disheartened that Rick was not more enthusiastic about going back and looking for her once they re-grouped (Daryl, bless him, even though she accidentally shot him on a previous show, volunteered to search for her).

Rick did have a good point that if Andrew ran off in the woods, they’d never find her, and the woods are crawling with the undead.

Also, T-Dog saw zombies on top of Andrea on the ground (and they showed this on screen).

What T-Dog did not see (but we did) is that Andrea shot those zombies, or shoved them off, and got up and ran into the woods. But as far as T-Dog is concerned, it looks like she got killed.

Why did they decide to stop in the middle of the day to set up camp? How does that help them get gas?

commodore on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Rick gave several reasons for that.

I don’t remember them all, but one was he did not want to risk the group breaking up (Glen and Maggie volunteered to go off and look for gas). He’s right that they are sometimes more vulnerable to getting killed when they go off alone.

I think Daryl is one of the few who could go out alone and be okay, except even he gets attacked (like the show where he went off alone to look for the girl and fell down the cliff).

AP, love ya, but get a life. Who, besides the Couch-Anchored watches such crapola anymore?

TXUS on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I hate it when people act sanctimonious about the shows other people watch, or that they watch TV at all. This is only one of two shows I make it a point to watch.

Hog Wild on March 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I agree with a lot of Rick’s decisions.

I don’t have an issue with him blowing away the two guys only after they drew on him first – that is a quality that separated him from overly violent, sociopath Shane..

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Why didn’t old man Dale reanimate as a zombie after the mercy killing? That’s what I want to know.

Shane sacrificed Otis to save his own butt, and tried to rape Lori in the firs season. Then he tried to kill his own friend. Not suitable for a protagonist.

Mad Kimchi on March 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM

About Dale. Presumably, Daryl shot Dale in his head. The show has already established that head trauma means a body cannot reanimate. It’s like the old Romero films in that regard, destroying the brain stops the zombie.

I agree with you about Shane, and I get tired of people who champion Shane as a great male who should be leader. Shane was selfish, too violent, irrational, and a sociopath.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, I heard budget wise, they are getting screwed by the network due to their love for Mad Men.

Blake on March 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I noticed that there were tons of commercials during Walking Dead for Mad Men, where AMC was trying to convince WD fans that Mad Men is a show we’d like.

I’ve never felt interested in watching a show about a sexist playboy guy who works at an ad agency in the 1960s. I’ve never watched it, I don’t think I’d find it interesting.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Oh, and if they are all already infected with the Virus, doesn’t that mean Rick’s unborn child is a Zombie? That is how his wife should go, by having the fetus eat his way through the womb in a reverse abortion.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Wouldn’t that only become true if the baby died in the womb first (miscarriage)? If there is no miscarriage, I would assume the baby would be normal.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I cannot wait for the next season to start. By the way, Rick offered everyone to leave. By staying with him, they acknowledge him as their leader. This was an clever way to consolidate power on Rick’s behalf. But…no one is talking about his “this is not a democracy anymore” line?

long_cat on March 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I noticed that. This is one of the first times I think Sheriff Rick has really flew off the handle with the group as a whole.

I can’t say as though I blame him for losing it and screaming at them. He’s been doing his best for the group, and most of them -aside from Hershel, Daryl, and maybe T Dog- do nothing but gripe about him and his decisions.

In the show after the show (on “The Talking Dead”), the show writer says they refer to Rick’s shift and his abandonment of democracy as “The Ricktatorship.”

People are talking about it, that’s why we find it so hard to believe Rick is accepted as the leader.

Daemonocracy on March 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I notice nobody else steps up to the plate to lead or make decisions for the group.

Shane wasn’t really about the group, he was mostly out for himself and maybe Lori. They all gripe but expect Rick to do everything. When he does everything, they gripe about his decisions.

Or to arm themselves with machetes, or for that matter baseball bats? How about a bulldozer with reinforced driver cabin? A big steamroller?

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

On previous episodes,Glenn had a machete like weapon, I’ve seen other characters use pitch forks, shovels, wooden rails on zombies, so it does happen.

Michonne uses a katana, you saw her use it to chop the head off a zombie who was about to bite Andrea.

Aren’t steam rollers kind of slow, and they lack a cab (no doors)? While you are sitting on it trying to run them over, the zombies would be climbing up to the seat to take a bite of your leg.

The whole Rick and Laurie scene where he confesses to kiling Shane was ridiculous – Rick didn’t even describe what happened, or what he did. Shane was clearly nuts a bit before this episode, others had noted that; he pulled a gun on Rick and basically told him why he was going to kill him, Rick tried to reason with him for some time – none of this is in Rick’s explanation to his wife.
IceCold on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I did find it weird that Rick didn’t tell Lori all that but he did mention it in front of her later when he was in front of everyone at the campfire. He told them at that point that Shane had pulled a gun on him.

As noted by someone above, stopping in the middle of the day because one vehicle is out of gas is also completely implausible, within the parameters of the show
IceCold on March 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Rick gave several reasons why they weren’t going off looking for gas and supplies just yet, and I didn’t entirely disagree with what he had to say.

I can just picture Glenn going off to look for gas alone or with his girlfriend (like he volunteered to do) and getting lost or killed by a zombie or by a group of human thugs.

They’ve had issues on this show before where someone runs off by himself (or herself) and either gets lost/ bit/ attacked/ almost killed, or actually killed.

Andrea is on her own in the woods and almost bought the farm but was saved at the last moment by Michonne, who carries a katana.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:22 PM

It would be everything you hated about the search for Sophia except without the occasional zombie kill. You need dumb people for a zombie apocalypse to make for entertaining television.

alchemist19 on March 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Well, I think they were going to take those steps.

Rick and the group were preparing to build up the farm’s defenses and store food for winter in the home’s basement, etc., but then the huge herd showed up before they could finish their prep work.

Oh, and it does not matter what the group on this show does, because some one some where will still find something to gripe about.

You’re complaining that they’re not doing enough to make the farm stronger, but someone up above in the thread was complaining about the complete opposite, that that was the very thing they were doing…

Someone complained before you did, “Why are they trying to toughen up a farm from a group of undead idiots? What a waste of time.”

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Sorry, I meant to quote form this part of his post:

We get frustrated when we see them go to county equipment depots and pass by fuel trucks, not use that fuel to tow the heavy equipment from there to the farm to dig trenches and set up better defenses, not scavenge the land for enough ammunition to supply an army
alchemist19 on March 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

My reply:

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

And why is Carl, who is the only child any of these characters have seen in weeks if not months, why is he the kid who no one seems to ever watch or keep track of? Wanders off into the woods, steals pistols, taunts zombies…yet no one notices or asks about the kid.
by Lourdes

Now that I think of it, it’s funny, but Shane was the one character on the show who was always finding Carl or keeping his eye on the kid.

I didn’t like Shane, but he at least paid attention to Carl and the kid’s where abouts, more so than the kid’s own parents. I’ll kind of give Rick some slack on that, since as the group leader, he has a lot to think about, but the wife (Lori) doesn’t seem to do much all day other than hand laundry in the morning and cut carrots at lunch.

… why not go to the coast at Savannah or the Carolinas or Jacksonville, where they can live on abandoned luxury yachts?

by weew

On one show, Rick expressed concerns about winter, snow, how the group will make it through… why don’t they travel farther north?

It must be getting colder where they are because Daryl is wearing sleeves now, and in the season finale, the kid told his mom, “I’m cold,” and she replied, “We’ll build a fire.”

And where are the dogs? Surely there are countless dogs running loose… not all would have been caught/eaten. And what about the silence, without any more traffic on land or air the natural silence must be surreal. Again… why the loud Harley? How about just riding bicycles? They’re quiet, need no gas, and the zombies can’t do much better than a medium-paced stumble.

The more I think about it, the more this show irritates me.

weew on March 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Are you suggesting the surviving humans eat dogs (please no, I hope not)?

Or are you just curious as to why we don’t see more than we do?

I’m pretty sure in the opening shot of the season finale, that dead furry body the zombies are feasting on is a dead dog. I don’t know if a dog would be good protection from zombies.

The zombies overwhelmed and killed/ate the horse Rick rode into downtown Atlanta (poor horse). A horse is bigger/stronger than a dog. If a horse cannot withstand a horde of zombies, what chance would a dog have?

The more I think about it, the more this show irritates me.

I don’t think they could out-pedal zombies indefinitely. They’d get tired of riding one all day.

Hershel is like 70 or 75 or 80 years old, do you really expect a 75 year old man (maybe with arthris too) to ride a bike away from zombies for months?

Someone like Otis would be too out of shape to do that. Carol and Andrea got dead tired just running away from zombies (they were out of breath running), I doubt they could handle endless bike rides.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Also, it’s Rick who convinced Shane to back down before backfront stabbing him. It’s not so much that I disagree with his decision there, but it’s clear that was cowardice, otherwise he wouldn’t have stabbed an essentially unarmed man.

Oh, and were it not for Shane, that barn that allowed Rick to save his and his son’s life would still have been crawling with walkers. Rick would have let them rot in there, even if Sophia’s mom never learned of her daughter’s fate.

Yes, the writers made Shane way crazy, but let’s not pretend Rick is a good leader. The only logical leader is Daryl. He has the forgiveness of Job (the group admitted to practically killing his brother – no way Rick would have been even half as forgiving), and real, useful survival skills, including the means to kill zombies from far away without a loud explosion. We saw a couple episodes ago that Rick was finally starting to understand this, but he’s still barely done anything with it, while Daryl has been doing that all along. And when everyone else was trying to save their own skin, Daryl was the only one waiting to help someone.

But yes, he’s too sullen. That’s the only way the writers make Rick look sane in comparison. But that whole, “my way or the highway” bs at the end was completely unnecessary. Following Rick has gotten a lot of them killed. Maybe that is the best they can do, but they’ve yet to see proof of that. I mean you don’t drive on empty for a mile even with gas stations on every corner. But here, with zombies everywhere, he completely loses site of that and waits until he absolutely has to stop?

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Sorry, in my last post, I meant why don’t they travel farther SOUTH, not north (to avoid snow, freezing temperatures).

CAST of characters, Season (most are principle players so are still involved)…

“Merle” I mentioned earlier (above) for those who aren’t familiar with the show, is nutty wildman brother of character, “Daryl Dixon”.

AND, I can’t imagine why people were so thrilled with character, “Dale.” I thought he was annoying, though sorry to see him go the way of the Zombie/Walkers.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I liked Dale. He was one of the few who was pro-life. About everyone else, except maybe Rick, view humans as expendable, which creeps me out.

The actor who plays Merle confirmed in interviews this week he will be back in season 3 as Merle.

Some show guy (writer?) basically confirmed that info too (on “The Talking Dead”), in an indirect way.

My one big plot hole complaint. Hey Rick, how about checking the BLEEPING gas gauge on your gas guzzling SUV once in awhile, and oh yeah, you’re on a highway with a bunch of abandoned vehicles. Pick up a damn siphon hose before you leave the highway! Duh!!!!!

Teacher in Tejas on March 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM

He did notice – he told his wife: “the gauge has been in the read the past hour.”

His only choice was to stop back when it was in the red, or keep going on fumes until it konked out. So how was one choice better than the other, should he have stopped the car right when it went to red, or waited? I would presume when it hit red or was near it they had not driven past a gas station for some time.

Walker-Hoard, but, really, how much time could it have taken to just take a few cans of abandoned fuel before taking off for parts unknown?

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Some of the cans of fuel were used when they set the barn on fire. (There was a shot of a few other red fuel cans in the barn when Rick was spilling gas every where).

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM

OK, but that’s a ridiculous complaint (no offense intended), because in large numbers it’s long been known that they are a threat. And we’ve already seen in the show that sturdy fences can keep them out indefinitely. If they’d had the kind Palin put up around her house, they wouldn’t have had to leave, at least not so quickly and with so many casualties.

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Are you suggesting the surviving humans eat dogs (please no, I hope not)?

Why not? That is why they were initially domesticated.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM

People do it all the time, even now. Yes, some would have trouble with it, but it beats riding a loud motorcycle into town. Plus, you get enough bikes and you can make a wagon of sorts.

And yeah, we should see them start to come up with ways around electricity and gas. That’s truly accepting your position and moving on.

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

In a post far up above, I got Andrea’s name wrong, I typed it as “Andrew.” My fingers always want to go for the W key when typing her name, so if you see “Andrew” in my WD posts, it’s probably meant to be AndreA.

Ok, but Rick often makes dumb decisions like, agreeing to save your life when zombies might kill you, but then torturing the h3ll out of you, because he can’t decide if you should live or die. At least Shane would have put the kid out of his misery immediately or would have left him there in the first place – both are better than what ended up happening.Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I don’t blame Rick for that, it was Shane’s interfering which created all the issues.

Rick wanted to set the kid free all along, but Shane kept messing things up, forcing Rick’s hand, attacking Rick in the midst of the plan to let the kid go the 1st time, etc.

I don’t blame Rick for any of that, nor do I view it as cowardice, since Shane is not a trustworthy guy.

Shane was a slime, opportunist, a bit psycho… you cannot have a fair fight with a man like that.

Also, maybe with a stabbing, Rick was looking to avoid a loud gun shot, not only so the group wouldn’t hear, but so that any zombies nearby would not hear.

I woulnd’t credit Shane with that. It was an indirect consquence on his part, he couldn’t see into the future.

Using that kind of reasoning, you could also say maybe if Shane had not killed Otis (to use as zombie bait!), Otis could have told the group, “By the way, that Sofia girl you have been looking for is a walker in the barn.”

I still like Rick as a leader of the group. I don’t blame him for tearing into the group since most of them were acting like whiny ingrates, a lot of the deaths weren’t his fault per se, but due to stuff like Shane’s insane interfering or just fate.

I do like that Rick sort of promoted Daryl. Daryl is one of my favorite characters, for different reasons.

You’ll notice that Daryl likes and respects Rick.

When Carol was all whiny about Rick at the campfire, Daryl retorted, “Rick has done OK by me,” and that “Rick has honor.”

Hershel also realizes Rick is busting his butt and told his daughters to get off Rick’s back.

You said,

We were not shown gas stations on every corner. They’re in Georgia, in a rural area.

I’ve lived in parts of the country, or gone to visit family, where you can drive for miles and miles and see nothing but trees, grass, and cows, not a single gas station in sight. It is possible.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Why not? That is why they [dogs] were initially domesticated.
===============

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Sorry, no, old people, fat people, thin out- of- shape people could not make it on bikes day in and day out.

Not cool with people eating dogs. I even cringe when Daryl shoots at and kills deer/squirrels. I’d rather eat dirt and twigs first. If I had to kill a cow myself to eat it first, I would starve.

And yes, I know people in China and parts of Korea eat dogs and cats today, and I still don’t approve/ agree with it.

I don’t recall ever reading humans domesticated dogs to eat them, I have always heard dogs stayed close to human camp fires, so humans began tossing them scrsps, so dogs and man became friends, not that humans said, “Dogs = food for us”

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Having those many recurring “emotional sharing” discussions among characters (or between them) isn’t realistic to the premise of the show itself, nor to the situations involved.

Lourdes on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I disagree a little.

Life and interpersonal drama doesn’t come to a complete halt just because other dangerous stuff is going on around you, especially if you get a bit of a respite from the danger, as they did on that farm, where they were not being attacked by a million walkers every day, every second.

They had more time to sit around and just talk while at the farm (there was no television to watch), or do stuff like feed chickens, do laundry, etc.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Skimmed thru the comments and didn’t see it said, did any one notice that the zombies went on the rampage just shortly after a helicopter flew by?

Rovin on March 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Yes, I noticed, and it was mentioned on the ‘Talking Dead’ episode afterwards. The opening showing the zombies seeing the helicopter was a flash back in time to show how the zombies went from the city to the rural areas.

The show guys said it was the same helicopter Sheriff Rick saw when he was in Atlanta.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Lori suddenly being mad/disgusted with Rick for DEFENDING HIMSELF AGAINST HER CRAZED LOVER WHO WAS GOING TO KILL HIM just made me so very angry.

Oh, and leave Rick alone, I heart him. No, I don’t need a good reason, I just do.

dragonhawk on March 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Agreed! Lori flip flops more than John F Kerry. She urges her husband to go after Shane, when he does, she gets all angry?

Rick and Daryl are my faves, and I’m growing fonder of Andrea (although I don’t agree with all her opinions).

I’d like to advance one out-of-left-field theory — would Hershel’s farm been at all protected if he still had those walkers in his barn? (i.e. the neutralizing effect)

shannon76 on March 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Hmm, very interesting theory.

The Michonne character (who was the hooded character with the sword who saved Andrea in the forest) keeps walkers on leashes behind her for that very reason, it seems to ward off zombies, or make them ignore her.

Maybe the helicopter/s is/are dropping hamburgers down and the Walkers are following their flying path… :)

Lourdes on March 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

That’s funny. :oD

Allah, just stop watching the show, if it causes you so much grief. Really. I don’t get why people keep watching if they have so many problems with it. Kinda like what Rick said in the end, “If you don’t like it, there’s the door!” Exactly.

I kind of feel that way too, but I’m grateful AP posts about it and gives us an opportunity to post about it. Even if AP stops watching, I hope he continues making posts about it so we can discuss it.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I agree with you, it’s a kind of silly complaint.

To clarify, I’m not the one who made that complaint. I was only repeating it (someone else made it), to show that no matter what Rick or the group does on this show, people will still find something to complain about.

One guy complains making the farm stronger is stupid, while another one came on ten minutes later after him to say that the group not making the farm stronger is stupid.

(Apparently, guy #2 missed the previous show, when Rick and group were indeed running around trying to fortify the farm’s property from upcoming zombie attacks.)

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

this also opens up the option for a serum. a babay born normally from someone contaminated may be able to provide a serum or the basis for a “cure” also. there is precedent on z movies for something along theses lines. but i doubt the series will make it long enough to go down that road. and i dont beleive its in the comics.

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Who saved Andrea…?

Mr. Joe on March 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM

It was Michonne, but Michonne looked like a Sith with that hood, like this.

Daryl – The most valuable character in the group. However, Daryl is not a leader. He spent his whole youth following his brother. He could be strong as a loner, but he knows the loner road is death now. He’s a strong advisor on matters practical, however.

WeekendAtBernankes on March 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Thank you for mentioning that. That is something that crossed my mind but forgot to mention it.

Daryl spent his whole life doing whatever his big brother told him to do.

Daryl has some valuable skills, but he’s never been on his own two feet, making his own decisions, or in a leader role.

He’s not good at, accustomed to, skilled at, or comfortable with people/ social skills/ interactions, so in that area, he might be lacking.

The Kid (Carl) – His acting out and insane isn’t really that far out since he’s at an age tough enough in normal conditions, plus, his mom and dad don’t seem to him like they care that much about what happens to him. Further, he doesn’t think his dad cares enough about his mom
WeekendAtBernankes on March 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

As I said above, while Shane gave me the willies, he did at least keep tabs on the kid, and the kid felt more comfortable confiding in Shane than he did in his own dad.

I don’t blame the group for being distrusting of Rick and Shane. Either one of them will throw you to the zombie to save Lori.
WeekendAtBernankes on March 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I don’t pick that up from Rick that much, despite his speech to Shane in an older episode about, ‘You better bet I would’ve left Otis for zombie bait too, if it meant saving Carl.’

I think Rick cares about other people, and he wants to help others.

I have a really hard time believing he’d just blow someone off in trouble to save Lori. Rick went back to save ‘Randall- impaled- on- a- fence’, for goodness sake, and Randall had just been shooting at Rick five minutes before.

Rick is strong and capable of doing tough stuff, but he’s not an immoral, mentally unhinged, ruthless jerk like Shane was, who will just sit back and let someone else die.

Problem is, the leaders (Rick and Shane) were too busy fighting over a “womb of questionable loyalty” to develop a plan.

WeekendAtBernankes on March 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Not entirely, if I remember right.

If that’s the same episode I’m thinking of, Rick was ordering T-Dog, Daryl, etc around on how to set the farm up, and he was directing Shane to go erect an observation tower on that wind mill thing.

Rick had to have a serious talk with him, though, because Shane was becoming more and more unruly and thus a threat to Rick and the group’s safety.

In previous episodes, Shane was telling Andrea he was going to stage a coup/mutiny, lock Rick up, and take everyone’s guns.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Heh. Because stupid people make more complex stories. Zombies are a lower challenge than roaches. All the ammo in the world, and zombies move so slow you have to get your leg stuck in a combine for them to catch you.
entagor on March 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I don’ think it’s stupidity, or that the humans should be able to out-smart the zombies, that’s the problem.

The problem as I see it is that the humans cannot agree with each other on the best way to handle things.

They bicker constantly with each other over everything, over how best to proceed and gender roles (should women do laundry in the apocalypse or learn to fight?), they fight with Rick at every step, etc., people like Shane do stuff to sabotage Rick, the kid does stupid kid stuff that puts them all in danger, etc.

If the humans would fight as one force against the zombies instead of fighting each other, they might do better.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

The ideal really would be to create a “castle”. High walls (ideally made of concrete, brick). Maybe add a moat.

shannon76 on March 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM

If the people on this show were as dumb as people say they are, the group would’ve long ago made a building for themselves made of living chickens and hamburgers (which would attract, not repel, zombies).

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I don’t get why they are planning on a road trip right away. The zombie hoard will take out the cattle at the farm, but when there’s nothing left to eat they will amble off. With a little prep, you could even lead them off in one direction with the bike, and when far enough away, shut the engine, load it in the truck, and circle back around. The zombies will continue in the direction of the sound, even after it’s gone, just like the helicopter, right?

I would at least give that plan a shot before deserting the farm altogether.

Adjoran on March 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I wondered about that too.

I would assume that after a day or two, the zombies would have wandered away from the farm to new areas, and it might be safe to return there. Even if the group didn’t want to go back to stay, they could go back and get more ammo, guns, clothing, food, etc.

Maybe its because they actually took some steps to show that they are inquisitive and wondering about the infection, etc.
Neo-con Artist on March 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I guess I’m in the minority on this, but I never really care in these types of stories exactly how of why a zombie infection began.

I enjoy the reality of zombies existing and seeing them attack people and seeing how the people react.

I’m mildly curious about how the outbreak started, but I’m fine not knowing that information, or the exact science behind when/ how/ who/ why some people turn into zombies, why others don’t, or why a bite makes it happen faster or not… I don’t get hung up on the details. I don’t know why it’s such a stickler for a lot of people.

Dongemaharu on March 20, 2012 at 3:04 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I think Rick wanted to fortify the farm area, but the writers never gave the man time.

Shane was always in his face about something, Hershel was always screaming for the longest time, “don’t mess around on my property or touch my stuff,” there were other people getting sick/ dying/ lost, they never had the time to dig trenches and prepare the place.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM

– you’d have to continually then keep a fire going in that fire zone with all those zombies circling you just on the opposite side of the firezone; one small area goes out, in come the zombies.

Bad idea.

Lourdes on March 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Not just that, but couldn’t a zombie walk through a firey trench intact, at least for a few moments or minutes before collapsing, if at all, for a long while?

Then you’d have an undead human torch coming at you or your farm house.

This show is worse than Cop Rock!

bs4948800 on March 20, 2012 at 5:47 AM

Boo on that! This show is great.

So it’s not like they were completely oblivious to this stuff, there just wasn’t a lot of talk about it.

PetecminMd on March 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Thank you for pointing that out.

I think a lot of criticisms I see about this show coming from folks who have not paid close attention to it, or they assume that Rick and the group are totally stupid and ignorant of certain elements if they’re not discussing some of these issues for 50 minutes out of every 50 minutes of air time.

Sometimes the characters do discuss these sorts of topics, they just don’t go on about it for 30 minutes every single show.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Three- These people are intelligent? How is it that we still have women running around the yard with no plan of escape? No weapons, no clubs, nothing other than screams and huddled panic?

My explanation on that – you were probably referring to Carol, I guess.

The show has different types of characters. Some are stronger mentally than others. Carol’s back story so far is that she was abused by her husband.

Carol has zero self confidence, no self esteem. Notice in the finale that Carol tells Daryl, “You’ll do better on your own. You are nothing but Rick’s henchman, and I am a burden. You deserve better.”

Carol standing around panicky, screaming while being surrounded by zombies that are swarming the farm, is, in my view, totally in line with her character.

Carol is not an independent, tough-woman survivor like Andrea or Michonne. I don’t think Carol had any gun training, either, like the others in a previous episode.

Carol doesn’t know how to fight back, she probably doesn’t think of herself worthy enough to defend, she lacks confidence to defend herself and relies on others to save her.

It would be nice if she would stand on her own two feet, but there are people like her in society who need help.

You have fuel on the farm obviously, since every episode they seem to drive off in a sponsor’s vehicle to run around attracting attention.

They showed the fuel canisters earlier in the show. Rick used one cannister to douse the barn with gas, and I assume the remaining cans were burned up in the fire.

Would it not been a better idea to have one vehicle lead the pack away while the rest of the crew go dark in the house until the pack left?

I think the only problem with that is the Lori was running around wanting to look for the kid, “Where’s Carl? Where’s Carl?,” and she had the other ladies look around the house for him.

Besided Darryl, the only ones I am rooting for are the Walkers…to eat Rick, the idiot he married, and the kid….. The rest deserve to get eaten for following Sherriff Clueless like ignorant sheep.

thmsmgnm on March 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM

No, I like Rick, and Glenn, Andrea, Hershel, and T-Dog is okay.

Carol (though I do have some compassion for her) and Lori can be whiny and annoying. Maggie was starting to get a little whiny in the season finale.

darkmetal on March 20, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I agree with your assessment about Lori and how she reacted to Rick telling her he had to kill Shane.

Never read the comic series that this show is based on, so what’s up with the grim reaper and the 2 armless zombies on a chain?

(I love it when Hollywierd writes lines about something they know zilch about just to score a cheap throwaway opinion on it, re: Herschel’s comment about “The Resurrection of the Dead”- But keep it up guys, it reveals your true ignorant colors.)

OkieDoc on March 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM

The “grim reaper” is Michonne, a woman. She uses a katana sword. The two zombies on chains, she uses those so other zombies won’t attack her.

In the comics, one of the zombies she has on a leash is her boyfriend who died and came back as a zombie. She ripped his arms and lower jaw off so he can’t claw at her and attack her while she’s leading him around on a chain.

As a Christian, I was a little upset by the glib comments by Hershel about Christ’s words about resurrection, but then I let it go, figuring it was not meant to be a huge insult, but just comic relief in general (not as a slam against Christ Himself).

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM

i request a combination season 3 premiere of WD and series finale of the dumb*ss comic show that usually comes on after. have those dorks eaten in season 3 premiere before the credits. please.

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Yeah, I’m not happy that AMC makes Walking Dead fans sit through 15 – 20 or whatever minutes of the Comic Guy show to see season premiere info on TWD/ TWD coming attractions. I’ve tried watching the Comic show, but I found it boring. I watch any way to see the TWD promos, but that’s it.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

The show smacks of liberal mindset and clueless behavior everywhere you turn

So now giving your Son a gun is part of the “Liberal mindset”?

I’m a conservative, but I think other conservatives are sometimes too quick to read “liberal” views into things that aren’t really there in entertainment, including with the Walking Dead show.

Even if you choose to see liberalism in some characters or story lines, I see ones that can just as easily be viewed as conservative.

As I’ve said before, as one example, Dale and Rick come off as very pro-life (sometimes Daryl is too), while many others act like human life is expdendable.

It’s usually liberals, in real life, who think that human life is expendable, or not worth protecting, especially if you view that particular human life as not having a service to you, or to society (e.g., on abortion, on “post abortion,” on permitting disabled people to starve to death, etc).

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Carol? She IS a Liberal. She allowed herself to abused by her husband, never thinking about herself. She does see the good in Daryl, but at times it is more because he reminds her of her dead husband. He is about to strike her at one point, and she simply closes her eyes and gets ready for the smack–he wants Daryl to replace her hb as her master. She misunderstands Rick, and tries to get Daryl to leave the group with her, and Daryl will have none of it.
darkmetal on March 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

That behavior (not standing up for one’s self when being abused etc) is true of women with conservative values from conservative upbringings, too, including some of my family members, it is not only liberal females who are prone to those behaviors/mind sets.

(Low self esteem and codependency does not fall neatly along political parties and ideologies, anyone from any background can have those issues.)

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM

“Here you go Carl, here’s an adult-sized handgun for your child-size hands. Be careful that it doesn’t go off.”

The extent of what passes for firearms proclivity on TWD.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 9:39 AM

The thing that still gets me about this is that I believe that is the same gun Carl stole from Daryl an episode or two ago, and Daryl later told, TDog, “I sure wish I had my gun, I wonder where it is?”

Dad Rick knows the whole time it’s Daryl’s gun, but lets his son keep it any way, and he doesn’t return it to Daryl, or even tell Daryl any of this.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM

i don’t do wiki unless some dweeb posts it.

OkieDoc on March 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM

It’s not on the normal Wiki, if that’s what you mean.

A bunch of fans made a Wiki site specifically for the Walking Dead comics and show:
The Walking Dead Wiki

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Why do the whiny, skinny women (who still have a good haircut!) always get to live? And while we are at it, the short-haired woman whose daughter was a walker – kill her!! and THANK YOU GOD Hershel is gone! Now he can look for humanity int he afterlife…

exliberal on March 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM

By whiny, skinny woman with the short hair cut, do you mean Carol?

If everyone on the show were a gun-, crossbow-, or sword- wielding self-sufficient bad ass, the show would get kind of dull for me.

I think it’s more interesting, and closer to reality (though I’m not a sticker for absolute reality on a zombie show), to have a mix of people, some of whom are mentally or physically weak, who are afraid, who don’t know how to use a firearm, and who look to others for help and protection.

It also makes Rick’s role more vital, since he’s responsible for keeping folks like Carol, Maggie’s kid sister, Lori, etc, alive, since they are unable or incapable of saving their own behinds.

Hershel is not gone. He was one of the people at the campfire, so I don’t know what you mean by, “thank goodness Hershel is gone.”

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

There are a lot of really annoying people in real life, even when you don’t count the Democrats.

fadetogray on March 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Ha ha ha ha, that made me smile. Goes with what I said in posts above, in real life, you get a mix of people.

Not everyone you meet in our normal world today is someone you’re going to get along with and like and agree with, and not everyone in a zombie apocalypse will be a Kung Fu expert- Chuck Norris- tough guy who knows how to use grenades and tanks.

You are going to get stuck with housewives who only know how to use potato peelers.

Not everyone out there is a Daryl Dixon who has been living in the forest for 20 years and is an expert cross bow marksman.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Zombies don’t breathe so walking under water is no problem.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

There was a recent (as in the last ten – fifteen years) zombie movie where people in a fortified city thought they were safe, but one of the zombies noticed (yes, this is a thinking zombie, this movie made a point that some zombies can evolve and think,) that one side of the city was barricaded by a river (or lake?).

Alpha Zombie kept glancing down from the river to the city, river to the city… and began walking into the river, and the other zombies saw him do this and followed suit.

I think they showed him and the other zombies underwater, walking on the bottom of the river/lake. The made it to the city and were able to get in because the humans were expecting zombies to walk under water.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

“were expecting zombies to walk under water.

That should have said, “Were NOT expecting zombies to…”

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM

fadetogray on March 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Remember, Rick said one reason he didn’t tell the group is that he did not know it for sure until he saw Shane reanimate with his own eyes.

Rick said prior to that, he did not know if Jenner’s info could be trusted because, Rick said, “You know what a crazy mo-fo Jenner was.”

Rick wasn’t being selfish, he honestly did not know if what Jenner said was true or not, and if not he didn’t want to alarm the group for no good reason.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM

DCnative on March 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I wasn’t going to say anything about this point, but this is roughly the one billionth post I’ve seen about this.

Since the camera was not on Hershel 100% of the time, let’s just all assume that when the cameras were on Rick, Andrea, Lori, the zombies, Carol, the barn, Jimmy the doomed RV driver, Glenn, and Daryl, that is when Hershel reloaded.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Esthier on March 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Good point, and something I wondered about.

I wondered if that meant that only Rick and his buddies are infected, or only people in and around Atlanta, but not necessarily the entire nation?

But seeing as how several of them said they saw national news coverage of zombies before everything went down hill, I guess folks everywhere were infected. And the guys in France… it must be a world wide thing.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM

romero, land of the dead

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

this is a recurring theme in z movies, particularly romero’s. that is human survivors have more to worry about from other humans (oftentimes) then the zombies. the contrast of the zombies acting on instinct, and the humans acting from free will, and which one is more savage or more “human”. the juxtapostion.

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

t8stlikchkn on March 20, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Yep, and I see these points are lost on a lot of the show’s critics.

Even on this thread, the people commenting cannot agree on how the characters should handle things.

Some think Shane was a benefit to the group, others think he was a violent hot head and a danger to the group, some think they should’ve fortified the farm area, others say fortifying the farm was stupid and a waste of time etc…

I think other humans are more a danger to each other than the zombies are.

Shane wants to off his best buddy to steal the wife and son. You have that Philly group from the last show or two that thinks it’s peachy keen to rape teen girls and murder people and take their stuff.

At least when you see a zombie on this who, you immediately know it can’t be trusted. The problem isn’t really the zombies, it’s how people react to each other in the middle of all this.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM

At least when you see a zombie on this who

Should be “on this show” not “this who.”

My typing is worse than usual today.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My typing is worse than usual today.

TigerPaw on March 20, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Even Tolstoy took a break from War and Peace.

roy_batty on March 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

If I were Rick, I wouldn’t have said anything about the virus infecting everyone. His issue was one of morale. If he says “Listen, there is no ‘out’ here. We are all dead men walking- literally.” then his group would have collapsed. What he hoped for, what he still hopes for is a cure. Besides, the CDC guy had gone off the deep end. Maybe he was wrong.

During WWII the brass concluded the best bet for casualties during the landing on Normandy was around fifty percent. Understand, they were satisfied with half their landing force ending up dead or wounded and planned accordingly. Had they convinced everyone that every other soldier sitting in the briefing was a dead man, nobody would have gotten onto a landing craft! And these were trained soldiers, not a group of panicked weak civilians.

Rick had no choice. What difference would it have made. The group was healthy, the chances of someone dying of a heart attack or something sudden was small. Besides, they were getting eaten every week anyway.

Sometimes in life there is no good answers, only the least bad of the bad.

archer52 on March 20, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Doubtful that any will read this (late) remark — I had to search out this post in the Archive section for March — but, anyway, I returned to read the comments made after mine from Monday and thought I’d add something (since several earlier comments asked this question):

“driving around the farm in cars shooting at zombies” — many here asked why the characters were doing that.

It was a way to protect themselves in the emergency situation of the farm being inundated with zombies (Walkers). Get in a car, keep moving, shoot from the moving vehicles to avoid standing there in the yard, field or house and being attacked. As long as you’re moving in a car, with auto speed, instead of merely walking, you keep ahead of the zombies, and shooting them from the moving vehicles is at least an attempt to clear off most/many of the zombies with some possible hope of clearing them all away (then going back to the house, if so).

So I can understand the effort to use the moving cars as shelter/protection and as a platform to continue to remain among the zombies while trying to remove them with guns, arrows, etc.

Second thing:

What happened to Herschel’s horse/s? Gone? If so, when?

The only domestic animals I saw the zombies chewin’ on were two of Herschel’s cows.

And, if they managed to grab Herschel’s horses, then that means the Walkers/Zombies got into the barn where the horses were stabled and that one was close to the farm house (the other barn was burned down, the one where they contained the zombies earlier — my impression was that there was that barn with the horses stabled that Herschel had closer to his house).

Just wondering. Being an equestrian, I’m wondering why no one jumped on the horses and rode on out of there.

Third thing:

Looks like the opinion of Lori is unanimously an awful one. She’s the most irritating character in my view on the whole Series…

Lourdes on March 21, 2012 at 5:17 AM

About an island as a possible “bug out” destination from some Zombie Horde:

Whatever’s infected others can and should be expected to also have infected anyone on an island, so non-zombie’s would show up expecting to land a hideout and then find themselves captive on the island instead being chewed on by zombies (people already there who were infected, laid in wait, or arrived later).

All in all, an island isn’t the ideal place to hole-up because there’s no retreat possible except by boat if you’re lucky to store one that hasn’t been taken by someone else, and/or if you’re a helicopter pilot with a helicopter stored that no one’s managed to destroy, push into the water or use themselves.

An island is a contained area and doesn’t provide a way out if/when you need one, not easily unless you can just swim away and then you’ll have to contend with the elements of water, predators and elements.

All in all, an island isn’t a good place to expect to be able to hole-up from zombies or other emergencies, not without a good deal of pre-planning and security features in place BEFORE the need to hole-up.

Lourdes on March 21, 2012 at 5:23 AM

And, an island is approachable on all boundary footage by anyone with the ability to reach the island. No way to prevent access easily to just about any invader who can overpower, outnumber inhabitants.

Lourdes on March 21, 2012 at 5:24 AM

And, lastly, Lori must die. Worst. Character. Ever.

KateNE on March 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

fadetogray on March 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM

In addition to the unexplained absence of Herschel’s horses, what about Lori’s child? She’s pregnant and already infected, as is everyone else, so are we to see another Zombie-Baby born as we did in DAWN OF THE DEAD?

About a secure location for retreat, some sort of fortified, high-tower structure, something surrounded by high walls with exposed deterrants, just as others here described (“castle” with “barbed wire” etc.).

Moats, wires, high stone walls, monitored entrance method…that’d be the only truly secure environ a gainst a zombie horde.

AND, what about the zombie’s/Walkers themselves? Are they ever going to fully dematerialize? Do they “starve” and do they ever fall apart such that they’re no longer a threat, are no longer animated? They’ve already died as humans so whatever is keeping them animated surely must exhaust itself of whatever is fueling it eventually.

So hole up and wait them out…

Lourdes on March 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Sorry, error: Merle’s returning with the actor, Michael Rooker, saying he “had to lose 20 pounds” for the role in Season 3.

Lourdes on March 21, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I love it, I hate it. When something is happening, it’s good, when the characters are talking, it’s more horrifying than the zombies.

What I don’t get is how come, for all their endless conversations, they never discussed what to do in case of zombie attack. No contingency plans, no fall back positions agreed upon, not even a line of, “if walkers do come, let’s meet up at the highway where we spent a couple of episodes discussing our feelings.”

I guess Hershal was blind to the zombies, but the rest of the group should have been preparing.

I can think of dozens of things I would have done. Fortifying the barn and putting in escape tunnels, grabbing tougher vehicles and giving Mad Max type upgrades on the ones they had. Getting as much gas as possible. Scouting the area to find somewhere else to hold up, and stocking it with canned food. Raiding every ammo store in the region (and grabbing some more bows and crossbows too). Looking for the other group. Building spiked traps. Putting up barbed wire. Equipping tractors with blades and spikes.

Johnny 100 Pesos on March 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM

DCnative on March 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I believe that what Hershel has is the coveted “God gun” which has unlimited ammo and indescribable destructive power. If you ever played “Doom” you would probably know it as the “BFG” lol.

darkmetal on March 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Ladies can learn a lot from Lori in how NOT to treat their man or family:

1. If your husband is dead for 2 weeks, it is best not to immediately jump into bed with his best friend. After all, if you haven’t seen the body–he might come back.

2. Don’t constantly make contradictory statements to your hb/bf such as, “You really need to take care of Shane” and later basically telling him he is a monster for “taking care” of Shane. OR telling Shane “The baby is Rick’s” but later finding Shane and longingly telling him, “the baby could be yours”.

3. If you constantly lose your son, perhaps you should look after him once in awhile.

4. If you complain to a strong woman about her using a gun to protect the camp instead of peeling carrots and doing laundry–you are not a strong woman yourself.

darkmetal on March 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Here is a link to a hilarious article about Walking Dead.

blackgriffin on March 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM