Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on March 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Can either Mitt Romney or Rick Santorum meaningfully advance beyond the ideological and demographic beachheads of support they have secured in the marathon slog for the Republican presidential nomination?…

“While Romney has faced considerable criticism for his inability to consolidate the party’s most conservative vanguard, Santorum has demonstrated a parallel inability to penetrate the party’s more moderate, affluent and economy-focused wing.

“Unless Romney or Santorum can break this pattern, the remaining primaries and caucuses will turn less on the jousting between them than on the underlying demographics of each state as it takes its turn on the calendar. And if that pattern holds, Romney would retain his delegate advantage over Santorum and Gingrich, but likely confront a close call on attracting enough delegates for a first-ballot majority while also facing enough losses in conservative-leaning Southern and heartland states to sustain doubts about his ability to mobilize the GOP base.”

***

“If Mr. Santorum were a little closer to Mr. Romney (say that he had qualified for the ballot in Virginia and won the state) and the allocation rules in the remaining states were a little more favorable to him (say that Texas was winner-take-all rather than proportional), perhaps the small-ball strategy would be worth pursing.

“But he is far enough behind that he instead needs a ‘game change’ — something that fundamentally alters the dynamics of the race and allows him to substantially improve on his benchmarks from previous states.

“Game-changing events are not easy to come by, of course. But Mr. Santorum’s campaign does not seem so interested in maximizing his chance at achieving one. His travel schedule is one such example: Mr. Santorum spent part of last week in Puerto Rico, and will be spending part of Sunday in Louisiana, rather than focusing on Illinois, a state where polls and demographics give Mr. Romney an edge but only a modest one…

“For Mr. Santorum to have a shot at winning the nomination, he will need to poll at least 5 or 10 points better across the board than he has so far — and to do so consistently enough that those polls translate into votes and then delegates.”

***

“McCain added that Romney, who lost two key Southern primaries on Tuesday, was ‘improving dramatically as a candidate.’

“The 2008 GOP presidential nominee, said Romney, whom McCain is backing for the presidency, had been hurt by the revamped GOP nominating process where many early contests awarded their delegates proportionally, delaying Romney’s ability to deliver a knock-out blow to his rivals.

“‘In any campaign before him we had winner take all, in winner take all you would assume those numbers would be significantly different,’ McCain said of Romney’s delegate totals.”

***

“‘I think the process is healthy,’ Gillespie said on CNN’s ‘State of the Union.’ ‘I think a competitive primary is going to result in a nominee who is stronger at the end of the process.’

“Gillespie, a supporter of Mitt Romney, said he believes the extended nominating season is sharpening the former Massachusetts governor for a head-to-head contest with President Barack Obama later this year.

“‘I think (Romney) is the likely nominee. I think the challenge he is facing right now is making him a better candidate,’ Gillespie told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley.”

***

“If Mitt Romney does finally wrestle the nomination to the ground, and then loses to Obama, conservatives will blame the loss on his alleged moderation. The right wing take-away will be to try to nominate a true ideologue in 2016.

“But if someone like Rick Santorum gets the nomination in an upset, the party faithful will get to experience the adrenaline rush of going off a cliff together, like Thelma and Louise — elation followed by an electoral thud

“Giving conservative activists everything they want in a presidential nominee would ultimately be clarifying for the Republican Party. It would break the fever that has afflicted American politics turning fellow citizens against one another. It would restore a sense of balance, recognizing that it is unwise to systemically ignore the 40 percent of American voters who identify themselves as independent or the 35 percent who are centrist. After all, a successful political party requires both wings to fly.

“There’s nothing like losing 40 states to refocus the mind.”

***

“‘We’re not making plans for a brokered convention,’ [RNC chair Reince] Priebus told host Bob Schieffer on ‘Face the Nation.’…

“‘Guess what: A tough primary, a little bit of drama actually helped Barack Obama,’ Priebus said. ‘We put America to sleep with our primary four years ago. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton nearly gouged each other’s eyes out.

“‘What happened? He won.’”

***

“‘I don’t think anybody in their right mind thinks that this way the primaries have played out has been good for the Republican chances,’ Barbour said on ABC News’ ‘This Week.’ ‘But what to me is remarkable is it hasn’t helped Obama much. If this Republican nick-nick-nick-nick kind of primary is really hurting, he ought to be soaring. Well, he’s not soaring.’”

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

***

“If Mr. Santorum cannot reach that number, he was asked on Sunday on CNN’s ‘State of the Union with Candy Crowley,’ would he stay in the race and try to deny Mr. Romney the nomination?

“Mr. Santorum did not answer the question. He quibbled about the actual number of delegates that each candidate has. Asked again if he would go for a brokered convention, he said that he was in the race to win and that conservatives wanted to nominate a conservative…

“Mr. Santorum’s demurring on the matter suggests some concern about how the public might react if he openly advocated for a brokered convention. Such a situation might be entertaining for the media, but it would entrust the decision-making to bosses in backrooms, not to the people at the ballot box.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Ack. I restarted my sentence in the last comment and didn’t edit, but you get my drift.

INC on March 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Yo YO YO YO YO!!!!!!!!

All you ninjas and ninja sistas!!!! Ward Cleaver is in da house!!!!

rickyricardo on March 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

You Santorum supporters must realize a brokered convention is an end-run around the primary electoral process, a slap in the face to all those who cast their primary ballots in good faith. I’m sure you’ll jump to defend it, though. After all, you’ve been defending Santorum’s weaselly robocalls to Democrats in Michigan, where he worked in tandem with the far, far-Left to undermine a fellow Republican in a Republican primary. I’m curious: what won’t you defend? Anything despicable, slimy, or underhanded this guy pulls you won’t be rooting for?

troyriser_gopftw on March 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Do you realize if Mitt got to 1144 there would be no brokered convention.

How is it Santorum’s fault that Romney’s millions will not buy him 1144 delegates?

History tells us Mitt has no chance of winning the general as no liberal Republican has ever won. McCain, Dole, Ford, Goldwater and GHW Bush (second term after raising taxes) all lost.

A brokered convention is just proof that Mitt has not what it will take to win the general. The rules make it quite easy to get to 1144 if you are a good candidate with great financing. Mit had everything going for him but is losing. Santorum had nothing going for him and is coming in a close second. If Santorum had had equal financing to Mitt he would already be the nominee.

Should we not nominate the best possible candidate that could beat Obama? That is Santorum not Mitt.

Steveangell on March 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Four songs for our four fellow commenter’s stuck in that new place I call HA LimboGitmo. You will all be missed. Well not that much.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

His team may or may know have found out a rough estimate of the number of people in the audience who understood English, but I would have had my speechwriter come up with some words that are easily recognizable in Spanish or English. (And more than 3!).

INC on March 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Start with muchas gracias and segue to Obama chupame and go from there.

arnold ziffel on March 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Never. I don’t have a lawn. A better question might be, how often due I kick people off my land?
Actually its a similar answer. Never, when I’m home I’m very isolated.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

due=do

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Ruh Ro. The mill ate my comment.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Hmmmm…

When you get back this way, look me up. I have some old 78′s you might like to see…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

INC on March 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Start with muchas gracias and segue to Obama chupame and go from there.

arnold ziffel on March 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Obviouslly Romney pandered enough to get their votes.

Romney is such a flip floper. He lies to these people about Spanish. 85% do not speak English and they will never be admitted to the union unless they learn it. Romney has never been for this in the past and is for English as the official language of the United States. But will lie to get 20 Electoral votes.

I would say he was just scared of Santorum but it feels more like he is just more comfortable lying and always pandering with the truth.

Steveangell on March 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Actually its a similar answer. Never, when I’m home I’m very isolated.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

My ideal property would be something like this. If I got a hankerin to shoot one of my guns I could just walk out the back door and fire at will. No one would squawk. Kind of like Detroit.

arnold ziffel on March 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Well heIIfire, that comment is just gone. I really don’t like that one bit HA.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

arnold ziffel on March 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Me 3…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Two in a row eaten by the mill.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Three and I hate 3. The number that is.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Alright fine. You don’t want my comment, I can take a hint, fine!

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

What are you trying to post, a comment or a link?…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Sounds good, I’ll do it.

arnold ziffel on March 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM

arnold, you can do that at my joint without the Detroit part.; )

Me 3…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 1:59 AM

This comment was not aimed at you.

Three and I hate 3. The number that is.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM

What are you trying to post, a comment or a link?…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Four songs for our fellow commenter’s that are stuck there in the new HA GitmoLimbo.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Four song links in one post or 4 diff. posts? If the former, split them up. The latter, they’re stuck in moderator limbo…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Geez, this thread is starting to look like a Dr. Telsa thread. What a mess. Sorry everyone. I think I have done enough damage for one night. Sorry morning crew. Flora if you read this, I miss ya! Good night all. Freakin mill.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Oh,……..screw it they don’t deserve music in there anyway. Good night all.

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Steveangell on March 19, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I agree—IMO it’s his campaign modus operandi.

INC on March 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Later…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Sorry about your angst—I was cleaning up the ends of the kitchen, and thought I’d checked back in as I eat a little ice cream before calling it quits. Try tinyurl.com next time and see if that works.

INC on March 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM

“I’m severely conservative” –The best of 2012, so far.

Schadenfreude on March 19, 2012 at 1:11 AM

nooooo, the all time campaigns best is this:
“President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob.” guess who :-)…

jimver on March 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM

jimver on March 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Biden?…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

The Buckley Rule is in play..:)

Dire Straits on March 19, 2012 at 2:34 AM

troyriser_gopftw on March 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I’ll be honest here, I absolutely hate Santorum. He opposes almost everything I believe in.

However, a brokered convention is all a part of the “primary electoral process.” It’s how the rules work, if you fail to reach 50% of the delegates, then the delegates become unbound. I don’t think reaching a majority of delegates is asking to much, personally. If there is a problem with the current system, it’s that schools do a terrible job teaching students how the process works. I wonder how many first-time voters realize that their votes are all but meaningless?

Now you’re hating on Santorum for soliciting for support? Romney gets indy voters, I take it he is poisoning the well for receiving their support? You need votes to win. Doesn’t matter if there’s a D or an R next to your name.

I usually have to defend Romney from nonsense like this. I think this is the first time I’ve defended Santorum.

gyrmnix on March 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

The Buckley Rule is in play..:)

Dire Straits on March 19, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Which Buckley, the one spinning in his grave or the obamanation voter?…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

The one in the grave..:)

Dire Straits on March 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Dire Straits on March 19, 2012 at 2:41 AM

How does it feel to written the unofficial song of the dem party?

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

gyrmnix on March 19, 2012 at 2:37 AM

+ 1…

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Gohawgs on March 19, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Lolz..Good point..That is a good theme song for the Dems..:)

Dire Straits on March 19, 2012 at 3:06 AM

YAWN..Woody from Toy Story needs to get OUT !!!!!!!!!!

Rick Rico needs to get a 24 Hour Fitness membership

nparga23 on March 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM

You can’t blame Santorum for anticipating a brokered convention. It may be counterproductive to admit it, but he no longer has any practical chance of clinching a first-ballot majority or even plurality, so any hope he has lies in those murky depths.

At least he’s planning ahead for once, not like the ballot qualifications in Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. You don’t want to arrive at the convention without a plan. Of course, you can bet Romney has been in touch with all the 200 or so super-delegates, the RNC reps from each state and other officeholders, probably for months. And a dossier on many of the Gingrich and Santorum delegates as well (most of the Paul delegates live off the grid in shadowy worlds they’ve built in sewers or their parents’ basements).

But the fact is that Santorum, Gingrich, and most of their followers have been engaging in “brokered convention” fantasies without any real world work being done. In order to deny Romney a majority going in, or close enough to one to ensure enough of the super-delegates and uncommitted delegates come on board, somebody has to win a significantly greater share of votes and delegates than they have been.

Adjoran on March 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Kate Upton’s bikini will never betray you. But she will.

SparkPlug on March 19, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Adjoran on March 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM

Up with insomnia, that (bolded) line ^^ of yours has given me one of my biggest laughs in a long time. Thank you.

(It’s funny ’cause it’s true).

Dark Star on March 19, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Adjoran on March 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM

The entire GOP primary season has been jerked around by one fantasy after another. We had the Sarah fantasy. And then the Bachmann, Perry and Cain fantasies. Heck we even had the Trump fantasy for a week or so! All of those pipe dreams, after being bi-tch slapped by reality, morphed in to the Newt and then Santo fantasy. None of these “candidates” will ever be POTUS. It is purely magical thinking. Self delusion to imagine that any of them ever would. Reality has once again asserted itself by making that obvious truth undeniable by all but the most self-deceived.

And now we have the brokered convention fantasy. That Mitt won’t meet the 1144 and some hero on a white horse will come riding in to save us all from Mitt. That’s crazy talk people and you may want to just come to terms with it sooner rather than later. There is no way that Mitt will fall short. It is fantasy to imagine so. What’s more, even if he ends up a short, there is no way that a brokered convention will deny the will of the people over 6 months of primaries by picking some person who either lost to him or even more fantastic never even got in the race. Forget your fantasies and grow up!

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 6:15 AM

BTW, in case you missed it, Romney picked up all 20 delegates in Puerto Rico yesterday. That’s more than Santo won in his glorious victory in Bama!

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

George Bush won 99 percent of the vote there in 1992, Bob Dole 98 percent in 1996, George W. Bush 94 percent in 2000, and John McCain 90 percent in 2000. Romney characteristically underperformed . . .

KickandSwimMom on March 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Keep bleating about how Santorum lost Puerto Rico? Romney underperformed? LOL! Romney won with 83% of the vote. Comparing it to GWHB, Dole, GWB and McCain — who were basically running unopposed at this point in their respective primaries is just about the kind of absurd logic needed to to try to spin an 83% win as a negative.

Dark Star on March 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Very well put, Dark Star.

The truth is that Romney has been performing well throughout the primary season, but that isn’t the narrative that the Obama-supporting news media want to push.

A big reason why Romney isn’t closer to the 1144 delegates is that the primary season calendar isn’t front-loaded like it was in previous years. But, make no mistake, Romney is collecting the required number, and is doing what he needs to do to win the nomination.

The following information has been posted elsewhere, but I think it should be included here due to its relevance to the current discussion. I apologize for the length of the post, but it’s hard to format text into space-saving columns when we submit our posts here.

Let’s compare Romney’s share of the vote in primaries and caucuses VS. McCain’s 4 years ago. You will see that Romney is doing significantly better than McCain did:

Iowa

TN
McCain 2008 : 32%
Romney 2012: 38%

Wyoming
McCain 2008: 0%
Romney 2012: 39%

Right now, it seems “trendy” or “fashionable” for so-called “true conservatives” to back Rick Santorum, despite the fact that Rick Santorum doesn’t have a particularly fiscally conservative record.

Although voters keep telling us loud and clear that the economy is the biggest thing on their minds, some people want to vote for a guy like Rick Santorum who is best known for his extreme social views and his willingness to shift campaign attention away from economic issues and towards things like contraception, etc.

Last year Rick Santorum even vowed to actively oppose the Tea Party influence within the Republican Party. (2011 VIDEO: Rick Santorum Vows to Resist Tea Party Influence.) Yet some people who claim to be Tea Party purists are cheerleading for the guy. It’s a joke, really.

Besides Santorum’s extreme social positions and eagerness to impose his social values on others through governing, the biggest reason why I’m against Santorum is that he cannot beat Obama. Now, I don’t believe for a second that Santorum will win the nomination, but I worry that his staying in the race (even though he knows it’s nearly mathematically impossible for him to reach 1144 delegates) is simply weakening the eventual nominee and stalling our efforts to unite against Obama. Talk of a brokered convention is particularly disgusting, considering that it would entail tossing aside the millions of Republican voters’ votes, most of which by far went to Romney. Santorum has consistently made over-the-top comments (sometimes using class warfare) about the frontrunner, and has even sunk so low as to welcome Democrats into the Republican primary, knowing full well that those Democrats are only wanting to vote for Santorum in order to give Obama an easy challenger. I do not think much about Rick Santorum at this point, and I wonder whether he is truly doing what he thinks is in the best interest of defeating Obama.

In 2008, I was strongly for Romney and against McCain, and I felt badly when Romney dropped out and endorsed McCain. Although Romney could have continued the fight all the way to the convention, he knew that it doing so would only have hurt our chances against the Dem opponent. I understood, and from that point on was an enthusiastic McCain (and later Sarah Palin) supporter.

Romney will be our most conservative nominee in decades, and it’s hilarious to hear people talk about him as a “liberal” or a “socialist”. I almost think that this silly talk from self-described conservatives is going to play to Romney’s advantage in a general election, though, since it reinforces the idea in the minds of non-partisan voters that Romney is not a favorite of the fringe and isn’t the “extreme” boogeyman that the Dems will inevitably try to paint him as.

bluegill on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

bluegill on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Thanks for posting those comparisons to McCain’s run. It really does provide great perspective. It highlights in an unmistakeable manner that proportional allocation of delegates (along with SuperPACs that can keep a weak sister like Newt hanging around by dint of a single sugar daddy) is stretching out the process, despite the front runner outperforming the last primary’s winner.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Yep!

I wish this big Romney win would have received at least SOME coverage at HotAir. Oh, well.

Anyway, if we have to wait all the way till the California Primary to be able to put the lid on Rick Santorum once and for all, then so be it.

I wish we could end this sooner, though, since the outcome is all but certain. We have reached a point where there is little benefit to continuing the Republican in-fighting. It really is time for us to start uniting.

bluegill on March 19, 2012 at 6:36 AM

A good monday morning to all!

cmsinaz on March 19, 2012 at 6:46 AM

man, does morning joe want christie to run at the convention…

cmsinaz on March 19, 2012 at 7:13 AM

After today’s tremendous victory for Mitt, I have trouble believing PR is anything but another Dem hot bed. I would really like to see them go Indy.

MeatHeadinCA on March 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Be careful what you wish for, MeatHead…if your American citizenship was yanked thanks to Washington, Congress et. al. after having it for all of your life, what would you do? What if you don’t lose it because of your age or the year the law would take effect, and your kids and grandkids are “not American” what would you do?

Wouldn’t you go batsh!t crazy? Move to another country, or move to the US in order for you NOT to lose it? It’s 4 million people, my sis and brothers and friends on the line. I don’t want my nephews nor anybody else to know that they are not under the privileges and protections of the US.

My sis told me the other day there’s a lot of ppl leaving the island, moving here bc of jobs, better education and opportunities. I don’t think you want a third of our population here. Shed blood, sweat and tears, for what?

Yea he respects my beautiful island, and he didn’t leave SJ to tour it properly. Nobody did. Look what happened to Rick Santorum; I think a tanning bed is a better idea, don’tcha think? Remember when Sarah went to the beach with the Sharpied visor?

That’s why all candidates and US Presidents tread veeeewwey caaarefully on this issue. My sis is eager to contribute to the States and so are dozens of thousands.

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

YAWN..Woody from Toy Story needs to get OUT !!!!!!!!!!

Rick Rico needs to get a 24 Hour Fitness membership

nparga23 on March 19, 2012 at 3:36 AM

If you saw my ex-brother in law you’d change your mind. It’s hard not to think about it when you talk to him *snort* even his son and my sis say it all the time, that he’s Woody from Toy Story. LOL!

Remember, long extremities and very skinny. Santorum has more meat than that.

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM

bluegill on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Blue…
as a fellow Romney supporter, I usually disagree with the manner you “deliver” your support for Romney but I have to say this post was one of your best I have read and you will win over more supporters to Romney with continued posts like those above!

I agree that those that call Romney a liberal have truly looked at his record! He was a conservative living in a HIGHLY liberal state and constantly getting overridden by his Dem Legislature.

I have posted on here numerous times his CONSERVATIVE record in MA and if people FAIL to see what he did then they are not following Reagan’s idea of getting 75% of the loaf but would rather jump off the cliff with the flag flying to their ultimate destruction!

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

FIFMyself

I agree that those that call Romney a liberal HAVEN’T truly looked at his record! haha I can hear it now…

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

i’m not a rick supporter, but kudos to him for going up against morning joe…

cmsinaz on March 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

OT, if there is such a thing on a QOTD, but I just wanted to express my hope that things are not coming apart at the seems in Afghan. I speak with my brother now and then, who is a civilian in Kabul. He has big concerns about the upcoming handover of security to local forces. While I don’t think there ever was or ever will be a good time for that, now seems a particularly bad one.

Take care and best wishes.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

This is one of the dozens of blog posts that back up my support for a contested convention.

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

One more thing, I was glad to see at least a short extension of private security.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

bluegill on March 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Great post. Lots of information and a good analysis. No wonder some of the anti-Mitt morons want to ban you.

Basilsbest on March 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I couldn’t disagree more. There is nothing wrong with a governor throwing his support behind a candidate. It does not prevent anybody from “deciding for themselves.” A gov who backs a candidate is putting his own reputation on the line and is answerable to the voters as well as the candidate who he supports. Just because he was elected does not mean he can’t express an opinion.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Take care and best wishes.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Well, just as in politics, the media likes to focus on the negative and flashy things that get the headlines like they did in Iraq as well. Why focus on the new schools, the wells, the Agricultural benefits, the police mentorships, the securing of villages, etc etc we are helping Afghans out with but focus on the ONE thing that gets the headlines and will SELL newspapers/blogposts.

We ARE making progress albeit a little slower than Iraq but it is moving FORWARD. The neighbor to the East is the one that needs to be handled better for AFG to get fixed.

Just as the MSM focuses on RS comments on contraception and misses ALL of Romney’s speeches on the economy…I mean why should the MSM focus on the ONE GUY that can actually fix our economic issues as that meme doesn’t fit THEIR template of keeping “O” in office. So RS is a Godsend to them at this time.

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I hear that kind of cautious optimism from my brother as well. I remain skeptical of what will be when we are no longer there, but I take heart from hearing you and he say that there is reason for hope. Intellectually I place more value on yours and his assessment than on my own poorly informed perceptions.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM

“‘What happened? He won.’”

\

And America has been screwed over by an America-hating socialist.

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

i’m not a rick supporter, but kudos to him for going up against morning joe…
cmsinaz on March 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Well……once you go cry baby about FOX …,.. what’s left?

Did MSNBS thank him for the “war on women ” democrite strategy ?

FlaMurph on March 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Take care and best wishes.

MJBrutus on March 19, 2012 at 7:35 AM

As your brother may have mentioned is that if we were allowed to FIGHT this war the way we wanted to instead of so many ROE’s, Lawyers, political restraints, and on and on we would have taken care of things over here awhile ago.

You think about most wars we have fought historically…the ones that we “limped” out were from political miscalculations or interference and NOT because of military weakness. We have the MOST powerful military on this planet BAR NONE and the most skilled soldiers, airmen, sailors, marine’s, and coasties IF we are allowed to truly function as a military is meant to.

We just do not have the political will to let us loose for short periods of time to wreak our “creative destruction” (to borrow a new term of late) and resolve these conflicts. Instead we want precision wars and this ONLY lengthens them…and lengthened wars expose too many military members thus causing MORE deaths unfortunately rather than quick, destructive decisive wars and returning the power back to the people.

IMO, of course… ;o)

g2825m on March 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM

FlaMurph on March 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

pretty much…that’s all they wanted to talk about

cmsinaz on March 19, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Fine, have the gov support Candidate X. If he’s gonna support that candidate the last thing I wanna see is a stage built by the airport’s runway, a welcome wagon of people bussed in, the “meeting” that he gives every other candidate. Aside from other good events, the machinery is there.

WHERE DID THE MONEY COME FROM?

ProudPalinFan on March 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM

It’s time to play ‘Hardball’ with Karzai, he asks us to pull our forces back, we pull his DynCorp security detail, lets see how long he lasts out there.

narciso on March 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The tough and well-trained Americans were assigned the toughest “beachheads” at Normandy for D-Day (Ike thought that the Brits had suffered enough *sigh*).
It’s again time to rely upon the US Rangers to assault, overrun, and hold the beachheads. That means that Saint Rick needs to bow out (eventually) and throw the support he has garnered to Newt.
Saint Rick has allowed himself to become a caricature of himself and his inability to meld his anal-retentive, New Age philosophy with pragmatism.
Santorum is “unelectable”. Isn’t that the “test” these days?
Saint Rick hasn’t the arm (saw the flabby pics) to throw a successful “Hail Mary”. Newt is better at clock management so that the Sainted end zone, game-winning pass isn’t a necessity.

Newt / Perry 2012
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I noticed the first of my four attempts to post some songs for our jailbird residents here at HA LimboGitmo finally made it through the mill. Should I expect three more here directly?

Bmore on March 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM