Don’t be too disappointed, but … George Clooney doesn’t plan to run for office

posted at 7:30 pm on March 18, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday evening, as I was browsing the Internet, I found myself absentmindedly clicking through a slideshow of “Supermodels: Then and Now.” What can I say? I like fashion, the intriguing artistry and aggravating arrogance behind it. I also really like slide shows, with their wordless imagery and quippy captions. At the end of a long day of reading, slide shows are relaxing.

My wandering attention was vividly arrested, though, by a slide that featured a sleek Linda Evangelista with a fire-engine red bob. So, I read the caption. Apparently, Ms. Evangelista once said this about the life of a supermodel: “We don’t wake up for less than $10,000 a day.”

Ah, the rich and famous — so blissfully disconnected from the reality the rest of us live. Note that I don’t begrudge Ms. Evangelista her $10,000 a day. I’m not a member of the 99 percent (well, technically I am, but you know what I mean). I just think it’s interesting that liberals forget how many members of the one percent are actually … liberals. (I don’t happen to know whether Linda Evangelista leans left, but, if she’s anything like Elle MacPherson …)

George Clooney is like that, a liberal member of the one percent, who, because he travels to the Sudan and speaks out about genocide, is never accused of being “unable to connect” with “the average American.” The guy is worth $160 million — just a little shy of Mitt and Ann Romney’s collective $200 million net worth — but people still talk about him as though he’s a people’s hero and plead for his opinion on politics.

At least, I assume they do. Why else would he — like Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and others — make a point to give political opinions over and over again? Surely they wouldn’t risk alienating half their audiences for any other reason.

Apparently, people also clamor for these guys to run for office because interviewers perennially ask them whether it’s a possibility. In a recent issue of InStyle magazine, for example, an interview with Affleck’s wife Jennifer Garner included the question as to when Ben and Jen are gonna take the political plunge. In an interview pre-taped for today’s “Meet the Press,” Clooney addressed the same question.

Here’s what he had to say:

The actor turned human-rights activist told NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday that he believes he has more of an impact on U.S. policy now than he would have if he ran for public office. …

“I can actually have an opinion and it may not fit what the U.N. wants and it may not fit what other people want,” Mr. Clooney told NBC. “And so I think it’s a lot easier than running for office. I don’t have any interest in that.”

According to Jesse Watters, Clooney is actually quite nice when he expresses his political opinion in person. Nor could anyone really find fault with his attempts to increase awareness of the horrors that are occurring halfway around the world. Fame can and should be used in accordance with the consciences of those who possess it.

So, it’s not actually anything George Clooney has said or done of late that I find so aggravating: It’s that here, too, is detectable the double standard that so pervades the MSM and the culture. A woman who has enriched herself through beauty or a man who has enriched himself through art and has come to hold liberal views loses no credibility because of wealth but a man who has enriched himself through private equity and has come to hold conservative views does?

Then again, perhaps we should cease to complain about the double standard and instead recognize that, yes, artistry does give the one who possesses it a special kind of clout. If we did that, perhaps we’d begin to meet “the people” where they are — at the movies.

Comments

Heh. Booker from Roseanne.
Perhaps he can be a rep like Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard.

Lanceman on March 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Liberal SL**!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I like his acting

gerrym51 on March 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

What’s with the photo? Looks like the lost member of Wham.

Ronnie on March 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

This is sad. He has presidential hair.

Harbingeing on March 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Can you imagine the sh!t storm this guy probably has in his past? Yeah. He doesn’t want those…um…closets opened.

Rational Thought on March 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I guess he figured out that “You don’t need a title to make a difference (TM)”.

Yeah, I’m still bummed that Sarah’s not running, though I can’t say I blame her for making that decision this time around.

Harbingeing on March 18, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I actually am disappointed. I’d have liked to see him expose how truly vapid he is and go down to spectacular defeat.

Oh well, there’s still Elizabeth Warren…

Gingotts on March 18, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I’ve got no real problem with Clooney – he loves Barry, loves his life, supports righteous causes – but, oh my God, David Gregory, that was the most embarrassing suck up interview ever. I wasn’t sure whether he was trolling for a part in Oceans 17 or wondered whether he could partner up with George when they made their collective contribution to Bill Maher’s Committee to Reelect. Is there a shred of impartiality in that guy? Oh yeah – loved the “get” of having “Into Thin Political Air” author Jon Krakauer mumbling about Afghanistan.

Texlib on March 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

and teh dog says, get yer hand off my package there bub, who do you think i am, reggie love?

renalin on March 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I would actually prefer Clooney to most of the Dems we see in congress right now.

vegconservative on March 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Can we still have First Lady Stacy Kiebler? If you saw her at the Oscars, you’d understand.

KillerKane on March 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

So we get a Clonney post instead of Mitt Romney crushing Santorum?

rubberneck on March 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Why does the Loon still do movies? I can’t remember the last one I liked him in… oh, wait. I think it involved a woman, and some sex.

MeatHeadinCA on March 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM

You know, I don’t hate Clooney as an actor, exactly. He’s pretty darn limited in what I find him convincing in the movies, etc. He’s no Gary Oldman, that’s for sure. I don’t even mind his constant harping on his politics. Like most people “Like that”, I tend to ignore that anyway.

What really bugs me about him is his obvious slimy smarm. He looks like I could grease an entire McDonald’s with his hair. He’s just so smug for someone who can’t stop bobbing his damn head in every freaking movie/interview/what-have-you. I’m sure he thinks it’s charming, but really it’s annoying as hell…. I kind of feel like if I walked within 10 feet of him, I’d contract about 300 STD’s….

mjk on March 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I like his acting

gerrym51 on March 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I like his acting too, but the man didn’t graduate from college — and I don’t say that as a snob, I understand that college isn’t for everyone, and people can be great successes without a college degree (see, almost everybody in Hollywood), but anyone I vote for to, you know, run this country, needs to have a college degree. That’s just me. I honestly don’t understand all these morons looking to George Clooney, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, etc for political advie — they’re actors for the love of God. It’s like going to the janitor for his opinion your cholesterol levels.

Dark Star on March 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Surely they wouldn’t risk alienating half their audiences for any other reason.

That’s your basic cognitive dissonance. Rich people are evil. Wait a second, I’m rich. Well then I propose we give poor people unicorns that crap skittles and tax all the evil rich people, including me. After all, I can afford the best accountants to see to it I don’t actually pay. But look what a great human being being I am, even if I am rich.

trubble on March 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Don’t be too disappointed, but … George Clooney doesn’t plan to run for office

Thank God! All we need is another liberal pretty face out of touch with reality.

Kini on March 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

By Popular Demand…(sarc)!
—————————-

O Brother, Where Art Thou – Soggy Bottom Boys – I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow
***************************************************************

canopfor on March 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don’t be too disappointed, but … George Clooney doesn’t plan to run for office
—————

Kini on March 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Kini:Preach it Bro……..!:)

canopfor on March 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Meh. I prefer Bruce Willis, bald headed hot!

jazzuscounty on March 18, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Dark Star on March 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

His aunt is Rosemary Clooney and he grew up in california. It helps having relatives in the business when you start out.

Having said that I still find him personable as an actor-

but he is a liberal commie pinko.

gerrym51 on March 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

O/T,for you Hot Gass`rs in Harms way!!

stormchaser4850 tweeted:
************************

Developing: Storm spotters observed a tornado on the ground 10 miles W of Mangum, OK, moving NE at 25 mph (650 pm CDT)

Submitted 4 mins ago from twitter.com/stormchaser4850
=============================

canopfor on March 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Canopfor
Great song!!!!!!!

angrymike on March 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

So we get a Clonney post instead of Mitt Romney crushing Santorum?

rubberneck on March 18, 2012 at 7:53 PM

ROMNEY SWEEPS P.R
LIP-LOCKS WITH POSTERIORS OF VOTERS
SURGICAL REMOVAL NECESSARY
20 UN-BOUND DELEGATES
0 ELECTORAL VOTES.0 VOTES IN GENERAL.

katy the mean old lady on March 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I can’t say as I disagree with Clooney’s activism on this front. Although I may disagree with his theory underlying the violence. He partially said the reason for the violence was that the victims were black which would presume that those genocidal killers might happen to not be black, which I don’t think is the case. I could be wrong. Either way, I commend Mr. Clooney for going to the Sudan and seeing what is really happening.

ted c on March 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Bottom of barrel: scraped

Dante on March 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I like George a lot. I think it’s likely he hasn’t put much thought into a lot of issues, but the Sudan thing will be front and center for a few days, for his effort. If he did run for office, he’d make about .0001% of what he makes now. Maybe we should give that gov’t an ultimatim – and give them a good ass kicking. Think about it.

bill glass on March 18, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Nice pug!

KOOLAID2 on March 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Celebrity

He has power because of his fame and the media but I think this is admirable!

He did meet with President Obama and later allowed that our leader had a through grasp of the intricacies of the issue.

It is unclear what our government is actually doing about the problem but the nobles take pains not to offend one another.

And as for running, maybe he would look like he did running in Decendants. It was absolutely the best acting projecting I have seen in decades. I wish I had seen it shot. I am so happy that he is helping younger actors and remembers how things were before E. R.

IlikedAUH2O on March 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Canopfor
Great song!!!!!!!

angrymike on March 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

angrymike:-:)

canopfor on March 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Rational Thought on March 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Can’t be any worse than Clinton and he made it.

Bunsin2 on March 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

These “so called” actors think they are EXPERTS because they PLAY a part in a movie. LOL…another reason I skip 99% of the movies until they show up on redbox.

p51d007 on March 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Based upon that picture alone, Clooney is my top pick to run for Dog Catcher.

Decoski on March 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

It’s like going to the janitor for his opinion your cholesterol levels.

Dark Star on March 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Well the one in Dilbert seems pretty bright.

Bunsin2 on March 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

No, it doesn’t, or anyway, it shouldn’t. But don’t expect liberals to do any kind of thinking that’s beyond shallow–the libs I know seem grossly incapable of it most of the time.

Only thing that disappoints me is they didn’t throw Clooney in the slammer and lose the key. He’s just another pretty-boy actor with too much money and too much time on his hands.

stukinIL4now on March 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Not a liberal, then.

He’s a whatever, but he ain’t a liberal.

Moesart on March 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

The very sight of him has always given me the heebie-jeebies. The guy is plain creepy. Good looking enough, but very creepy. What do some women see in him? (I am female and I know enough to stay away from a sleezy narcissist.)

obladioblada on March 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I wish Clooney would go tell it to the French. The USA walked away from the Sudan, leaving equipment on the ground, because of human rights violations over a decade ago. The largest exporter of oil from the Sudan is the Sudanese gov’t. The 2nd largest is Fina, the French oil company. 3rd largest, the Chinese.
So, Mr. Clooney preaches to the American people about something we have no hand in. Tell it to the French buddy and keep us out of it.

Babs on March 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Attack of The Killer Tomatoes…

Del Dolemonte on March 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I remember Simon Cowell and Idol Gives Back, raising money for Katrina victims, Navajos in Arizona and children in Appalachia. Takes an Australian, living the American Dream to care about Americans.

I guess it’s just not fashionable or trendy enough to care about people in your own country. If it’s death and tyranny Clooney wants to draw attention to, why doesn’t he visit the Mexican border?

Hey George psst, psst over here.
Mexico: why is mexico so poor and violent? 40,000 dead in drug war. workers making $5- $10 dollars a day?

Dr Evil on March 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Can anyone name a really standout performance Clooney has ever given?

Compared to Hollywood leading-men of previous generations, this guy really isn’t cutting mustard.

Charleton Heston?

Burt Lancaster?

William Holden?

Pat Caddell?

You can kind of tell he knows it too.

sartana on March 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Who is this George Clooney? I know of a George C. Looney.

Anyway, he was on Chris Wallace Sunday program today, talking about the genocide in Sudan. He said he wanted NATO to step in and shoot down some planes. Why doesn’t he put on his big-boy pants and take it to the U.N.? Shouldn’t they be the ones who should put a stop to this?

Do I need the sarc tag / for that last statement? Really???

Mirimichi on March 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Nor could anyone really find fault with his attempts to increase awareness of the horrors that are occurring halfway around the world. Fame can and should be used in accordance with the consciences of those who possess it.

When George Clooney puts on a pair of boots, grabs a rifle, and leads the way to that war zone of the Sudan, maybe I’ll pay attention to what he says. I don’t have any patience with actors that make boatloads of money, willing to send the military off on adventures that they support without regard to the effects and deprivations to the troops and unwilling to put on a uniform and go with. I won’t give him my money to see his movies either. Gary Sinese is one of the few actors I will support with my money.

TulsAmerican on March 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Well the one in Dilbert seems pretty bright.

Bunsin2 on March 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

That’s the garbage guy

AZfederalist on March 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Yet another Hollywood elitist who thinks his opinion means more than anyone else. Why do these people think they are so much smarter than the average person?

chewmeister on March 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The appearance of these types of threads makes me wonder about Hot Air at times.

DevilsPrinciple on March 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Good ol’Clooney. What’s he been up to lately? The last I saw of him, he was giving life advice to Tootie.

multiuseless on March 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

DevilsPrinciple on March 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Kind of like Yahoo

multiuseless on March 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM

ted c on March 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

He is correct actually. The arabs from the north are not black. They are responsible for the genocide of the blacks (many Christian and Animist in the south.

DoubleClutchin on March 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM

There’s little problem with art.

Artists are another story.

TimBuk3 on March 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I don’t get the, “…but he’s a great actor” stuff.

To each his own.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM

sartana on March 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Clooney may not be cutting mustard, but your guys cut enough cheese in their time. I will not attack the dead except for serious things.

William Holden — Killed a guy while driving drunk and bought his way out of other “problems”.

Nothing runs as well as the old black and white tv sets.

IlikedAUH2O on March 19, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Please do run….

I would love to see Clooney explain why he is so righteously up in arms about stopping the Genocide in Darfur but was so against stopping the genocide of close to 1 million people in Iraq at the hands of the madman Saddam.

Baxter Greene on March 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM

sartana on March 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM

We have people here with crushes on Pat Cadell.

Baxter Greene on March 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Well aren’t you the picky one? He only killed 6 or 7 hundred K and killed up to 8 hundred K Iranians.

And some country with 57 states backed him when he had a healthy body count.

Del Dolemonte on March 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Huh? GC wasn’t in that movie. He was in the next one, a far superior product.

DevilsPrinciple on March 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Sorry you feel this is a waste. I always wanted to take Ann Coulter to the last Tomatoes movie since it rejected and disowned the French unpleasantness of 1789. Libs love the Jacobin rush. Now she is about to get married or something.

IlikedAUH2O on March 19, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I’ve got no real problem with Clooney – he loves Barry bamstahh !! you da manb bammy baby!!!!

Texlib on March 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM

cableguy615 on March 19, 2012 at 6:16 AM

He’s right. He’s more effective in pushing America to the left by making political propaganda films with multi-million dollar budgets than he would be running for office.

David Blue on March 19, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Shoot. Was out in the real world and missed a Clooney thread. Grrowl!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM

That’s the garbage guy

AZfederalist on March 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Similar thought but yep my bad.

Bunsin2 on March 19, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Rational Thought on March 18, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Well yes, and that would be a lot of fun.

He was really excellent in ER. Then he went into feature films and seemed to become smaller on the big screen, despite the huge increase in profile and income…

Syriana was a disgrace however.

CorporatePiggy on March 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM

There are problems all over the world by why do no-talent dullards like Clooney or Madonna or Oprah decide that their efforts are best served whining about what is going on in the third world? We’ve got plenty of areas in this country that could use their attention and are just as “third worldly.”

Happy Nomad on March 19, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Well if George deigned to run for public office, some nasty person might bring up the fact of his inner gayness.

Jack Bauer on March 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

i would consider voting for the pug dog if he or she would care to comment about senatorial hopeful Hank the Cat and would state their position on repealing obamacare.

as most cats and dogs do not like the vet, i assume pugs are pro-repeal but being infamous ass sniffers who vote lock step with their masters it’s hard to tell.

mittens on March 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM

George Clooney doesn’t plan to run for office

…thus drastically raising the collective IQ of office seekers…

landlines on March 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I give credit to Clooney for continuing to push for an end to the terror in Sudan. He has visited the White House several times to plead for action. But Clooney is incredibly naive. In the Sudan, Muslims are killing Christians, so Obama won’t do a thing to stop the atrocities. If Christians were killing Muslims, Barry would have sent the troops in four years ago.

In 2008 Obama said he would make Sudan “a priority from day one.” Of course, he did not. Even if he wanted to, Susan Rice would probably stop him. She has been Hell-bent on destroying the Sudan for years, from the time she served in the Clinton administration. And we all know that Barry takes his orders from the women around him (Michelle, Valerie Jarrett, Susan Rice, Samantha power, etc.). Not that there is anything wrong with getting advice from women… but one must choose the women who know what they are talking about. Rice has been considered “wildly incompetent” by some Washington insiders, and one critic who has worked with her states, “She doesn’t know what she doesn’t know. And she doesn’t tolerate dissenters. To have her head the U.S. mission to the U.N. is a mind-boggling decision. It is frightening.” (Rice is married to ABC news producer Ian Cameron.)

Colony14 on March 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Clooney is nothing but an aging has-been actor who pretends to be something he is not. Soon we will be seeing this ignorant actor advertising some ridiculous product like many of the other has-beens do.

jqc1970 on March 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM