Would you pay $100 to skip the TSA screening line?

posted at 11:50 am on March 17, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

An idea long overdue in my opinion. The Wall Street Journal reports that a pilot program is already in place for two airlines at nine airports where you can skip the TSA nudie scans and gropings, zipping through the airport almost as fast as you did before 9/11. You can leave on your shoes, your belt, your coat and your hat. All you’ll have to do is go through a “pre-screening” background check process and sit down for an interview with an official. Oh, and there’s one other catch… it will cost you $100.

The Transportation Security Administration is rolling out expedited screening at big airports called “Precheck.” It has special lanes for background-checked travelers, who can keep their shoes, belt and jacket on, leave laptops and liquids in carry-on bags and walk through a metal detector rather than a full-body scan. The process, now at two airlines and nine airports, is much like how screenings worked before the Sept. 11 attacks.
Journal Community

To qualify, frequent fliers must meet undisclosed TSA criteria and get invited in by the airlines. There is also a backdoor in. Approved travelers who are in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s “Global Entry” program can transfer into Precheck using their Global Entry number.

TSA says it also wants as many people as possible in Precheck, which is still in pilot-testing phase. Both agencies say the programs can enhance screening of people they know nothing about if they can move low-risk people who submit to background checks out of the main queues.

“We can reduce the size of the haystack when we are looking for that one-in-a-billion terrorist,” said TSA Administrator John Pistole.

When I went to renew my passport last year prior to a trip to Canada, I picked up a lot of useful information on this subject. But it also highlighted some opportunities which the government seemed to be overlooking. For example, you still don’t have to have a passport if you are driving into Canada, as opposed to flying. In Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington state, you can apply for an enhanced drivers license. This functions just like a regular license in terms of operating your vehicle and serving as valid ID for all your needs. But it also proves that you’ve had an extensive background check to determine that you’re unlikely to be plotting anything nasty. With one of those you can drive through into Canada without having to produce a passport.

Why not have a similar thing for flying, even if it’s only on domestic flights? And the TSA representative in the article makes a good point. The more travelers who get signed on to this program, the fewer people there will be waiting at the normal TSA screening stations, so everyone will make it through faster. Sounds like a winning plan to me, at least as a short to medium term solution. The only question is… one hundred bucks? Are you willing to pay the government that much for the privilege of getting through the airport faster? While I understand there may be some resentment, I have to admit… I might be doing it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

TSA: Wasting millions and being useless since forever.

mythicknight on March 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

There should not be a screening line!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I see it’s about money not safety

Wade on March 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

“Papers, please”

Once this is instituted comes the backside: Those without “papers” are immediately suspect.

“juden”

BobMbx on March 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

So when may we expect TSA skip-the-screenings subsidies for the rest of us? I mean, look at all the flying around Sandra Fluke has been doing lately. She needs help!

de rigueur on March 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Indulgences, sold by the new church.

Joe Mama on March 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

The point is I shouldn’t HAVE to pay money to the government to avoid their interference in my life.

In another circumstance, that would be called a “protection racket.”

Mitoch55 on March 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

…you went to bed too early last night! I will never write a long piece again, here, ever. And no I won’t write it and paste it or do whatever! I spent half an hour too respond to the Dr. and lost it before I could send it…not for his benefit since he has no clue…but for others. I hate this refresh thing or whatever it is!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Ideally we should impose some common sense on the TSA. Their PC procedures are assinine and a joke.

This past Monday I flew to Argentina, I’m here now, and in front of me was an elderly gentleman with a walker. He had a lot of difficulty walking. The TSA “officer” took his walker and provided him with a “safe” cane to pass through screening. Do they really think this man is a terrorist suspect?

On Wednesday my wife took my eldest daughter to the airport. She brought our baby with her. The baby at the time was having a bottle of formula. Actively drinking it. The TSA “officer” made my wife take the baby out of his stroller, send it through the scanner, and then ridiculously performed a test for explosive liquids on the bottle my son had just been drinking from.

It’s madness that is in need of a serious dose of common sense.

Charlemagne on March 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The new South Park on the TSA was killer.

wte9 on March 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

In another circumstance, that would be called a “protection racket.”

Mitoch55 on March 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Nice laptop you’ve got there. Be a pity if anything happened to it…

What a sham the whole thing is. Why should it even cost money? This looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. After all some people may not be able to afford the $100 and so there’s that — and wait, isn’t this likely to be discriminatory to minorities who fly?? Where is Eric Holder when you need him //sarc

theblackcommenter on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Like toll roads that have already been paid for once.

rogerb on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Maybe this kind of carte blanche with background checks should come with our drivers licenses and passports–in other words, maybe the gubmint should be giving us more for the money we pay already.

stukinIL4now on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Might be worth it if they take the money and use it to restore the funding for the Federal Flight Deck Officer program.

Socratease on March 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Why not have a similar thing for flying, even if it’s only on domestic flights?

Because we haven’t done anything wrong!

Unreasonable search and seizure!

PattyJ on March 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Why do we need to keep kibbitzing about this stuff?
The TSA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
It should never have been created.
Nice to see you capitulating Shaw.
This is why the Progressives win.
Folks like you, Jazz, seeing any merit in such tyranny.

Badger40 on March 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I won’t fly on a plane where allows someone to pay to skip the screening process, regardless of their qualifying criteria. The government would screw that up.

lhuffman34 on March 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Doesn’t that violate the Equal Protection Clause?

Dack Thrombosis on March 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

One-in-a-billion terrorist?

We have shredded the Constitution, spent billions of dollars and angered and humiliated millions of Americans to find a “one-in-a-billion terrorist????????

WHAT THE $^%%^$%^ ARE WE DOING?

clippermiami on March 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I still say revenge. They take out a plane we take out a city.
They will get the point.

IlikedAUH2O on March 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

it will cost you $100.

Next move will be to mandate it.

theperfecteconomist on March 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Illegal aliens will need to have free passes since they can’t afford the $100

philw1776 on March 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Yeah, except I would gladly pay 100 bucks to avoid these idiots. However, isn’t this against everything the left supposedly is against? The 99% crap?
Oh, wait, it’s all about the green.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

ORconservative on March 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Like toll roads that have already been paid for once.

rogerb on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

lol, ever been on the Mass Pike?

Del Dolemonte on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

$100 isn’t much money if you are already paying to fly a couple times per year. The bigger issue is how much private information are you handing over to the government as part of the background check.

OptionsTrader on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

The TSA hassle is here to stay thanx to political correctness – profiling would solve the problem but nooooo, someone might be offended. Or we could make everyone boarding a plane eat a piece of ham first. Since that’s not going to happen, I’d pay $100 in a NY nanosecond to avoid the hassle.

jb34461 on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Would you pay $100 to skip the TSA screening line?

With Saudi money?

Fallon on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day.

ORconservative on March 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Fallon on March 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

KOOLAID2-Bmore
I think everyone should just ignore Dr T , I think his head would explode

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Yes – there is a cost to regulation and it is usually passed on to the consumer, like everything else (Except contraceptives, which are magically paid for by someone else, or so I am told by President Soetoro).

Chances are that this will be initially for Corporate travellers and people who are good customers of the airlines, so the $100 isn’t a big deal – and most likely intentionally 3 figures so as to scare the small time flyer away. To be involved in the Air Cargo business, individuial handlers have to have a security clearance code/number on file and issued by the government in order to handle and load cargo. I understand it is somewhat less than $50 to get that authorization number.

So – some dude in a warehouse from who knows where can handle the freight that goes into the hold of that plane at a reduced “rate”, but the passengers who actually make that flight possible are required to pay a higher price for thier clearnace code? Chances are its to discourage a flood of participants, and by design, participants that they want. There is a simialr program for cargo, importers and other members of the supply chain that is in use by Customs and Border Protection – and it has a very similar model.

famous amos on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ya right, then they will be letting the ppl we don’t want on the planes on the planes, for a small fee.

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

famous amos on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

TSA beginning to classify passengers as “freight”.

Wonderful.

BobMbx on March 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

lol, ever been on the Mass Pike?

Del Dolemonte on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I don’t think so. Do I remember some tolls/”Big Dig” connection correctly?

rogerb on March 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

This is ridiculous. If you’re going to screen, screen everyone. Simply because someone passes a background check X amount of time ago doesn’t mean their mind hasn’t changed and they haven’t decided to become a jihadist in the meantime.

Stoic Patriot on March 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Yes, I would and I have. This actually is not new, but has been around for months.

Syzygy on March 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

KOOLAID2-Bmore
I think everyone should just ignore Dr T , I think his head would explode

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

…maybe I’ll help others ignore him…it will get old though…I started requesting it one night…but his meds were working the next day so I backed off.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

This kind of program is long overdue. But since it will save money, there’s no reason folks should have to pay $100 to be in it.

edshepp on March 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

LOL! I have installed all the plugins to prevent the auto load. That said they present yet another set of problems. They blocking software doesn’t like Flash. Can’t say that I blame it. Come on HTML! I have decided to revert back to writing the long stuff down on a separate application and pasting it in the comment box. I have noticed some other glitches in WordPress’s new way of running this site. I am wondering why a banned poster is still allowed to post comments in the Headline threads? I am going to hit submit now, even though I haven’t finished my thought. Oh and just in case anyone takes offense that this comment is off thread. OT/

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

So to sum:
1. Normal Americans need to pay a tax to avoid the violation of their liberties and basic privacy.

2. Terrorists get a “sneak a bomb on the plane” card for a low one-time fee.

3. An already overlarge bureaucratic agency furthers its descent into incompetent fascist self-parody, by formally making itself nothing more than just another money collection depot.

This is still free for Muslim women, right?

Gingotts on March 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Worst thing that ever happened with the TSA is when it was first established, the Democrats in congress barged into the process with one and ONLY one objective…to make certain it was unionized. While the Bush administration was primarily concerned with security, all the Dems cared about was their union kick backs.

So we ended up with a bunch of union hacks that could not be fired no matter how badly they screwed with us. Disgusting.

Tomolena1 on March 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

If I were still traveling on business all the time, absolutly. Assuming its a one time fee possibly. We havent been flying much at all due to the economy and the gassle factor. Looks like we may not be driving either sigh…

ldbgcoleman on March 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Fallon on March 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

And a Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you and everyone here at HA! Again. OT/

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I am a recent member of Global Entry. Frankly the application process, while a pain in the backside because its so slow and cumbersome, is a joke. They do not ask anything that isn’t already a matter of record.

You have to fill out an application online and then go for an “interview” with a CBP officer basically to verify what you said on the form. You have to tell them where you have lived and worked for the past five years — just like you’d do to get a loan. You have to tell them where you have traveled in the past five years — but they already know that from your border entry records; all they are doing is to verify that you are telling the truth or that someone else didn’t fill out the application. They want to see your birth certificate or naturalization certificate, passport, etc. They want your fingerprints but I’ve already been fingerprinted and run through an FBI background check for my Florida Concealed Weapons Permit so that’s no big deal either.

The Global Entry program expedites you through the Immigration check on arrival back into the US. TSA is adopting this as part of the “Pre-Check” pilot which also included selected Frequent Fliers in the American and Delta programs. But I have no idea what the FF criteria are; I am a Million Mile AAdvantage member with American and have not been invited into the Pre-Check pilot by American so who knows how they decide on that aspect.

The bottom line is the Global Entry portion of Pre-Check should not upset anyone, there is no information involved that the Feds don’t already have from other sources.

As to its efficacy, this is not to say that I think the unconstitutional TSA process is a good idea, quite to the contrary. But since our elected representatives and the courts show no sign of stepping up to protect our Constitutional rights the TSA theater remains a fact. As a consequence anything that takes zero-risk passengers out of the screening process is only to the good.

All that said, I am confident that the mindset of the people running DHS/TSA will come up with a way to screw this up too. And its way too complex an idea for the grasp of the TSA people on the front lines.

One final thought. Global Entry bills itself as part of the “Trusted Traveler Network.” The one thing missing in all of this is any trust of the traveler.

clippermiami on March 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

KOOLAID2-Bmore
I think everyone should just ignore Dr T , I think his head would explode

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I already leave him alone. He always argues like a contrarian, I don’t mind him, and in fact had a chance to assist him to the door once. I was told he is kin to one of the important folks. So out of respect for that, I leave him alone. He did however help me out on a project once, for which I thanked him. Again OT/

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Oh and Jazz, I really liked the oil post you made even though I didn’t comment. Again, OT/

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Let’s see: continue to submit to molestation or naked scans by the TSA or pay for the privilege of having the government nose into my business and private life so that I can save some time on an airport “security” line? This is what is politely called a ‘no-choice choice’ for a reason; both are unacceptable.

redfoxbluestate on March 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

To clarify, you aren’t paying $100 to skip security.

First off the $100 is a user fee, just like all the other stupid user fees the government has taken to charging the citizens for services it ought to provide as part of being government. Nothing new here.

Second, I seriously doubt that anyone will actually skip security in the long run; as I said TSA will screw this up, its in their nature.

clippermiami on March 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Here’s an idea: Make all air travelers get one of these $100 background checks before they can fly, and then eliminate the TSA entirely. It would be worth it to kill another abusive unneeded federal bureaucracy populated by officious and unfirable public employee union members.

Socratease on March 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The real question is:

Would a terrorist pay $100 to avoid the TSA ‘screening’?

Remember ‘Visa Express’?

CrazyFool on March 17, 2012 at 12:37 PM

“Why not have a similar thing for flying, even if it’s only on domestic flights?”

Because it means minimally decent treatment is something you pay a hundred bucks for.

And to get to spend that money you have to fit secret criteria, give away private information and smile just right.

This is the negation of a free and equal citizenry.

David Blue on March 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

$100? Um maybe. Just how much of my donation will go to Obama2012 campaign.

This is a typical govt. program, please pay us some money so we can work less.

multiuseless on March 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

frequent fliers must meet undisclosed TSA criteria

Why undisclosed? Would a donation to the DNC get me moved up the list?

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

In a word, NO. The application is too costly, cumbersome, and the process takes weeks and then you might have to start the process over again if denied.

BTW is there a rate for families? Not that I see.
One more thing, how long before someone calls this program racist?

diogenes on March 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Why not have a similar thing for flying,

The purpose of the border checks is to ensure people entering the country are not not likely at some undetermined future point in time do something unsavory.

The purpose of airport screenings is, at least on its surface, to determine that passengers do not at that precise moment have the materials needed to carry out a violent act on the plane about an hour later.

DaveO on March 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

clippermiami on March 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Sounds like this will have a disparate impact on minorities in this country.

BobMbx on March 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Would you pay $100 to skip the TSA screening line?

Do they have a special line for terrorists who want to pay a hundred bucks and sign up??

HotAirian on March 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The crying over the $100 is laughable. The $100 is to cover the costs of a background investigation, it is not some entry fee you pay for a privelage. The whole point of this program – which *is* long overdue – is to expedite travel for those who have had a background investigation.

Background investigations are not free, you know. Actually as far as BIs go, $100 is a relative steal, as they often cost thousands of dollars to undergo.

KevinB on March 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

diogenes on March 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The $100 fee is for a five-year period. The application is no more cumbersome than, say, an application for a passport. When I applied, I was approved within 24 hours. Of course, YMMV, but if you have a passport, they’ve already got a lot of the information on file.

Syzygy on March 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM

No. You get enough of my money.
OT

KOOLAID2-Bmore
I think everyone should just ignore Dr T , I think his head would explode

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It works. He goes nuts because I just comment around him. Trashed 3 threads ast night with his bullcrap.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I’d pay it in a heartbeat if it worked in more than 9 airports, and it was always open. Flying is a necessary evil, at least for me and anything to shorten the time in line makes me a happy person.

This was tried by a private firm a few years ago and half the time they enhanced lines weren’t available. I believe they are no longer in business.

CTSherman on March 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

They should pay us for the inconvenience.

albill on March 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Well, I am absolutely enamored of the thought of sailing through airport security as we all once did.

I do wonder, however, if the $100 is supposed to cover the cost of the processing. They really can’t accomplish very much for $100. It’s kind of laughable; they could do an online check with a cheapo background check agency, but that’s about it. And if that’s all we need, why have all the torturous TSA hoopla in the first place?

Makes me wonder about TSA’s funding and what Congress thinks is being done with it.

J.E. Dyer on March 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Ah, the privileged class. They seem to feel they shouldn’t have to suffer the indignity imposed on the rest of us by our increasingly tyrannical government. Well, I suppose that makes sense. After all, they pay for the police-state so why shouldn’t they be exempt from it?

And for that matter, they pay for the sidewalks too, why shouldn’t commoners have to clear off and stand in the street when privileged people walk past? Poor people didn’t pay for the sidewalk, they should be grateful they let them walk on it at all! Maybe if commoners fork up a hundred dollars they can walk on the sidewalks with pride too and not debase themselves.

And when people like Obama/Romney force us to buy expensive insurance products from their corporate cronies, we should thank them for their beneficence. And when people like Santorum regulate our bedroom activities and consenting relationships between adults they’ll be doing us a huge favor! People do bad things and need to be made to stop.

Oh, and when the ship (of state) hits an iceberg and sinks, the commoners locked in the hold should RIP knowing that their superiors with the keys made it to the lifeboat on time. For example when the housing/debt bubble created by our betters in NY and DC popped and the market crashed, commoners just accepted that the privileged class has the power to totally re-invent the financial system to suit their own preference and force the rest of the country to compensate the crooks for their losses. After all, they own the government—they bought it—they’re the only ones that can afford to influence the corrupt mess that is our government.

I don’t mind if people with the means can pay extra for non-essential comfort and perks, but when wealthier people are able to escape indignity and injustice imposed on the rest of us it creates a class divide in the country that I don’t think is healthy.

They should let the airlines manage their own security arrangements so that some of them can provide this sort of service to all of their customers, not just a privileged few.

FloatingRock on March 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Update:…

People do bad naughty things and need to be made to stop.

FloatingRock on March 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The TSA was the worst idea ever. It must be abolished.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Would you pay $100 to skip the TSA screening line?

If I was a terrorist who had no intention of leaving the plane alive to spend that $100 anyway, yeah, probably.

MikeA on March 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

FloatingRock on March 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Agreed, as long as my FF status gets me through quicker than the family with 4 kids that fly only once a year.

CTSherman on March 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Guilty until proven innocent.

ronsfi on March 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Background investigations are not free, you know.

Once they’re mandated they will be. Birth control and background checks…free free free. And, we have a right to background checks too.

BobMbx on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

$100 is very cheap for a security screening, which means it probably would not be very good. But then again, TSA are governemtn union employees and provably worhless.

I’d pay 100 bucks just to board early, and avoiding TSA groping for that is a bargain. And driving to avoid TSA and liberty-denying fees is priceless!

WhatNot on March 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I joined the program for the international aspect of it. Customs lines are awful, awful things after you’ve just gotten off of a 12 hour flight. But hey, I’ll take an added benefit of being able to use it domestically.

Frankly, something like this – if we’re going to have federalized airport security – is something that the government should have been doing all along. If they can pre-establish that you’re not a terrorist or psychotic, there is no point in having to endure that assumption anew every time you enter an airport.

alflauren on March 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

All thats missing is the requirement for the non-privileged to ask for leave.

“By your leave, sir?”

To ‘ask leave‘ of someone wasn’t to request to depart their presence but to ask permission of them to do something and, as it would only be asked of someone who had the power to grant or bar such permission, it was often expressed as ‘by your leave, sire’. That may be the association that has caused another misstated version of it, as ‘by your liege’.

BobMbx on March 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

As long as the TSA is providing security at airports, I don’t fly PERIOD.

I have informed several airlines that I have flown on in the past I refuse to fly with them again till the TSA is abolished. Once the bottom line starts getting pounded to death perhaps the clue phone will start ringing.

Last year I drove to AZ and back from CT in less than a week rather than fly, the TSA can go to hell.

gdonovan on March 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

KevinB on March 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

So why, when I apply for jobs, do I have to affirm that a condition of my employment is to undergo a background investigation – But I’m not required to pay for it?

Mitoch55 on March 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

redfoxbluestate on March 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM

EXACTLY.
I can see how our liberties have been allowed to erode over time.
There are a LOT of pantywaists in here literally chomping at the bit to allow their freedoms to be taken away under the guise of ‘security’.

Those of you advocating this kind of stuff are EXACTLY why this country is in the toilet.
You are letting the Progressives take away your freedom.
You give them an inch on something & they take the MILE.
And you LET them.
This nation is full of parsing cowards.
I literally WEEP for this Nation.
We are collectively a bunch of morons.
We need now, more than ever, states to come forward with Resolutions telling the Feds to eff off.

Badger40 on March 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

so obama’s tsa is going to let the one percent fly without standing in line with the rest of the unwashed masses? why stop there, why not have private doors and partitions so they don’t have to look at the lines of people standing there, dirty faced; fat guys struggling to hold their pants up with one hand, their belt in the other; naked pictures of grandma on the xray screen…

no, the mighty libs should not have to look at that, given how much they pay to keep obama in power

let them eat cake!

jetch on March 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

o/t
I’m not up to it…but I may start being a pain in someones _ _ _!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I don’t want to pay $100.00 for someone, to not touch my junk!…I feel… like such a s l u t !
(:>)

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This question is for other Federal employees, who like me, have already had a low-level background check per Homeland Security Presidential Directive Number 12 (HSPD-12). Would this clearance expedite the process of getting a pass? Do we already effectively have one?

manwithblackhat on March 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I’m so glad I have my flying phobia.

And no, I would not pay $100. BS.

bazil9 on March 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

What it comes down to is that citizens can’t let the government treat people of means with dignity while people of lesser means are treated in an undignified fashion. It’s un-American, even if there was some of that sort of thing in our history back around the time Fascism and Communism was so rampant in Europe—and more again in the present.

If Republicans would admit that Bush was wrong about TSA, just like Romney was wrong about Romneycare, and let airlines handle their own security, then if wealthy people want to have an airline all to themselves that does extensive background checks and biometric data and quick board times, they can do so to their hearts consent, and poor people can frequent airlines that suit their needs as well without the government enforcing a two tiered system on society.

FloatingRock on March 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM

tsa initially for international flights, domestic supposed ot not be involved.
now tsa involved in everything, buses/planes/highway not long off, and we’re going to be ok with paying them to not rape us?
piss off tsa.

dmacleo on March 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

meant to say buses/TRAINS not buses planes, sorry.

dmacleo on March 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What if a terrorist supporter applies? If he is a Muslim, will the government deny him the pass? I can see CAIR already planning the class action lawsuit.

PattyJ on March 17, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Pistole is a moron, he’s the first one that can hit the road in January.

slickwillie2001 on March 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

They should just ask you 3 questions & then you can pass thru. “What … Is your favourite colour?”

KS Rex on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Whew, thank God now that Osama is fishfood there isn’t anybody left in al Qaeda that can rustle up a hundred bucks! Janet from another planet has saved us again!

drunyan8315 on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Sign me up. I fly about 20 times a year for work and wow this would save me a ton of time. But then I am feeling guilty about how many TSA agents this program will put on unemployment… :-0

exliberal on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Myself, my wife and all kids have a SENTRI card. Basically the same thing to get to and from Mexico without going through the long lines. I thought long and hard about it, but four hour waits at the border versus 30 seconds….well you get my drift.

With that you get all the others, global entry and trusted traveller at certain airports. Using it at the airport is sort of like the old days. You run through the metal detect, don’t have to take off shoes, keep laptop in your bag. Is it worth it for that?…nah not really. However to go past the long lines when returning from an Asia or European trip, yea it is. 30 seconds max versus 1/2 hour or more.

wsucoug on March 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Why do we need to keep kibbitzing about this stuff?
The TSA is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
It should never have been created.
Nice to see you capitulating Shaw.
This is why the Progressives win.
Folks like you, Jazz, seeing any merit in such tyranny.

Badger40 on March 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

This. A thousand times this.

By even contemplating this, we are submitting to the unconstitutional TSA screenings. It is the liberal’s ratchet effect – things only go in one direction. Once in place, it can never be removed. That’s how the Left works. And enough conservatives are gullible enough to let it work.

This is ALL about encroaching upon our liberties, and setting the stage for further power grabs.

IcedTea on March 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

$100 is a low threshold. I would pay it, and I think most frequent travelers would too.

The worry I have is that the lines would just become as bad as they are now, and if so, what’s the point?

bomble on March 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

So let me get this straight. You have to pay not to have sex? Fluking TSA!

MeatHeadinCA on March 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Missed opportunity on the caption:

Well-heeled travelers.

Chriscom on March 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

IcedTea on March 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

This is how all government agencies work.
Like this.

There never needed to be a reason to pass such a thing.
The EPA has no authority to enact such things in the 1st place.
Congress should not be abrogating its power to tax to agencies like this.
I remember the comment period & the EPA really backed off.
But they’ll come back again, only with a lower rate.
So then some people will go “Oh well that sounds reasonable.”
And there you go.
This has happened time & time again.
And from the looks of it just here on HA, we’ve got a bunch of cowards who are more than willing to pi$$ away their freedom.
Let the states deal with these things.
The REAL fight is NOT allowing the Federal Govt to usurp power from the states in the 1st place.
We need to take back our power.

Badger40 on March 17, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Where do I send the check? I fly every week and end up waiting forever in places like Boston.

The Opinionator on March 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Undisclosed criteria are wonderful. All you have to do is be a good citizen, never have been a member of a militia or a fringe political party like the Rethuglicans, belong to an approved mainstream church (non-Christian preferred) and generally shuffle towards the left, which is the side of politics that doesn’t get discriminated against.

David Blue on March 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

BobMbx:

“Papers, please” indeed!

logdogsmith on March 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Oh, and there’s one other catch… it will cost you $100.

No problem. Health insurance has to cover it. You might get sick on a plane and have to go to a hospital. There’s so much interstate commerce there it boggles the mind.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I don’t trust the TSA. They’ve been violating people’s rights for over a decade now and how many “terrorists” have they apprehended? Any? Stuff it, TSA. How about they try giving people who have ALREADY undergone extensive background checks (military, government workers, etc.) as a condition of their employment a pass? That could cut down on a lot of traffic and they shouldn’t have to pay one thin dime for the privilege.

scalleywag on March 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM