Obama stuck on repeat: End subsidies for big oil

posted at 2:20 pm on March 17, 2012 by Tina Korbe

For the fourth straight week, energy issues dominated the Democratic and Republican weekly addresses. I wonder why they bother to make new videos: The president and whoever is the Republican-of-the-week say the same thing every time. Just replay the first energy-themed addresses and leave it at that!

As long as the president is going to repeat his call to end subsidies for big oil, though, I’m going to echo it with the call to end all energy subsidies. As I’ve written before, it’s a myth that the tax code favors oil over renewables; in fact, under the Obama administration, renewable energy has been and continues to be more heavily subsidized by tax carve-outs than any other energy sector. We all know how those alternative energy subsidies have worked out for us. It doesn’t matter who the cronies are; crony capitalism is the problem.

The president also implied in his address that high prices right now might be partially the fault of traders “who distort the price of oil, and make big profits for themselves at your expense.” But Daniel Yergin, chairman of IHS Cambridge Energy Research Associates, explains in The Wall Street Journal that “the oil market is [just] reading the front page.” The price reflects what’s going on in the world. Far from a distortion, it’s the one reflection we have of the state of American energy today. Yergin writes:

In 2012, the reason is mainly geopolitics. Last November, the United Nations declared that Iran was clearly developing nuclear-weapons capabilities. The West is responding with sanctions aimed at reducing Iran’s ability to export oil, on which it depends for more than half of its government revenues, to get it to halt its nuclear-weapons program. Tehran has answered by conducting large naval exercises and threatening to close the Strait of Hormuz, through which passes some 35% of the world’s oil exports.

Global oil prices and U.S. gasoline prices have both risen about 20% since mid-December. And all this is occurring in a world oil market that is already tight, tighter than it was last year, with no more than 2.5 million barrels of spare capacity. At least half a million barrels a day are currently out of the market because of disruptions in South Sudan and Yemen and civil war in Syria.

A market this tight would already be susceptible to upward price pressures. But the market is operating on expectations that supplies will become even tighter as new U.S. and European sanctions against Iran take effect and the risk of military conflict increases.

These facts actually work in Obama’s favor; there’s no need for him to invoke traders “who distort the price of oil.” Still, while it might be true that the president isn’t responsible for every factor currently driving up the price of gas, he also can’t hide the evidence of the first three years of his administration. At every turn, he has pursued an energy policy that punishes oil and gas companies and rewards alternative energy companies. Had he taken a different approach from the beginning, we might not be facing the high prices we do today. Yet, in the face of these high prices, all the president proposes is to double down on his already questionable approach. Perhaps he lacks the humility to learn from his past mistakes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Yeah, well Oclueless has a degree for Hawvawd…that doesnt make him smart. You HAVE seen the Wizard of OZ…right?

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

*snicker*

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:44 PM

He’s a liar and he needs to be called out on it more frequently. Also, there should be no beating around the bushes, “he’s a nice guy and all, but he’s in over his head, blah, blah, blah” crap either. He will not hesitate to call his opponents liars even when they are not. When he is lying, he should be exposed as a liar in the most clear and stark manner imaginable.

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Amen. Nobody who lies, destroys, and incites crowds with race-baiting and class warfare for a living can honestly be called a nice guy. Whether or not he’s in over his head, he’s doing a hell of a job bypassing congress, usurping power, destroying our domestic energy, and creating poverty and unrest. And he’s doing these things on purpose.

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Seems to me I’m the good guy here.

You guys are so full of hate. It’s comical to me now. You get things completely reversed but you think you the moral high ground on me.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Good guys do not claim to be suffering from cancer when they have been in remission for 5 years to gain sympathy or guilt their opponents.

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

a capella on March 17, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Obsessive freak…totally ignore!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Resist Him More!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

No, actually, I was just trying to help you see that you are violating TOS and to get you to stop before you do get banned for it.

I don’t know Ladyingray, but I know she doesn’t need me to defend her. She’s been a HotAir participant for a very long time, and is quite capable of defending herself.

Guess you’re on your own pal. Can’t say I didn’t try.

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Ok, you are a flaming hypocrite. You have no little lectures for ladyingray who I think was off topic when she decided to insult Tina’s intelligence. If you want to believe I will get banned for simply criticizing ladyingray’s jerk behavoir because you consider it “off topic”, you are living in a fantasy world. If anybody deserves to be banned here, it’s ladyingrey. I’[m not saying they should or shouldnt do that, but it’s amazing you are holding me to a higher standard than the woman being kind of a witch to Tina. I don’t think it’s relevant how long she’s been posting at Hotair.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Tesla, I’ll say it. I’m tired of your endless echo chamber, thread after thread, endless comments. Mostly talking to yourself because when you fill up a thread everyone usually exits. You like to stir it up just to irritate.

MontanaMmmm on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Dr. Tesla…you are a intellectual lightweight, and give trolls a bad name. Do you look in the mirror at yourself while typing?

We now return you to our regularly schedualed topic…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

NO i bring up my cancer to see if it will soften some of you guys up, but as I pointed out, it doesn’t work. You guys that are full of hate and I do note you don’t have criticism for the woman who insulted Tina.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Perhaps you are so desperately afraid the truth might offend someone that you can’t see that it’s not a mistake at all. This is his deliberate strategy to raise the price of fossil fuels. Why? Because he thinks it’s not fair to the rest of the world that America uses a disproportionate amount of fossil fuels.

I’ve never seen so many pseudo-conservatives afraid to be accused of saying Obama does bad things on purpose.

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 3:29 PM

This moral cowardice in the face of such brazen behavior is what is killing this country. Even a victory in November is not going to change this existential weakness.

squint on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I think it’s absolute comedy that I’m being labeled the bad guy after I defending Miss Korbe for a baseless vicious attack on her intelligence while you guys rally around the witchy woman who made the attack.

How in the word if you are a decent and fair person characterize me as the bad guy in this scenario?

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Waaaahhhhh! Why don’t you guys like me? I’m sooooo handsome, and I was the teacher’s pet! And I’m a mechanical engineer, too! I’m telling! EEEEDDDDDDDDDD!!!!111!!1!Eleventy!!

El Salsero on March 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Someone needs to tell me what subsidies are being given out and paid to oil companies. Don’t bring up tax cuts.

CW on March 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

El Salsero on March 17, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Obsessive freak…Ignore!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Obsessive freak…totally ignore!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Heck, sometimes it’s fun to hold the ball just high enuff that it has to jump for it. Then our arms get tired…slapping it once or twice it good for circulation…any more is overkill…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You are quite obviously a newbie who does not understand the definition of what is or what is not off topic. Ed, AP and Tina do. I commented that I think Tina is not a “thinker” on this post…she may very may be (and most likely is on other topics). if I am banned for stating my opinion about a poster, then NO COMMENTER will remain because there is always someone to comment and “insult” in the eye of some poster that their fave blogger has been insulted.

Seriously, ask AP if he truly cares about the peeps that insult him.

Jeebus. What a newbie.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

squint on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Thank you, I agree. And it’s everywhere. I can’t even listen to the Hugh Hewitt show anymore. When he’s not wasting radio time talking about sports, he’s pussyfooting around Obama’s evil acts and promoting Romney. It’s like a disease spreading throughout the pseudo-conservative punditry.

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Republicans always allow themselves to be fitted with the straightjacket of political correctness. While Democrats can claim that Republicans want autistic kids to be left to fend for themselves, old people to die quickly, women to die on the floor, dirty water and air, black people hanging from trees, those who practise a religion differently than theirs rounded up, etc., with impunity, Republicans won’t even call a guy a liar because they are afraid of being called a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe, Islamophobe, etc.

When I moved to America, I quickly learned that there is only one political party, but it has two branches:

Democrats: The Evil Branch

Republicans: The Stupid, Spineless Branch

While I was a child during the period, I have read a lot about the Reagan-Bush years. It seems to me that the GOP lost a lot when Lee Atwater died. He was one of those kinds of guys that never would have put up with the Democrat’s BS. The GOP had better grow some gonads or it will go the way of the Tories, which are just Labour-lite now. To illustrate how far the UK has fallen, my nickname for Cameron is “Muffin”…and, believe it or not, Nick Clegg of the Lib Dems and Ed the Red Miliband of Labour make Muffin look like Winston Churchill. Wussies (Muffins) all.

(I’m a gurl, so I can call Dave a muffin. For you Democrats out there, I am also a “comedienne” so it’s OK, I’ve got immunity under your “You Can Call Women Whatever You Want As Long As You Are A Comedian Programme.”)

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

And Bobby has outright admitted that he’s used his cancer in an attempt to get sympathy on here.

blink on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Indeed he did. Yesterday, in fact.

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

…been jumping out of it’s pants since day 1…ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Obsessive freak…Ignore!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

1 comment and I’m done. Said what I wanted. Your strategy is spot on.

MontanaMmmm on March 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

…ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Seriously, ask AP if he truly cares about the peeps that insult him.

Jeebus. What a newbie.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Your conduct was inappropriate. If you are going be disrespectful to people, you can’t play the victim, and how long you being posting here has absoluting nothing to do with your witchy conduct.

I think you owe Tina an apology. I don’t expect you will b/c you have no class.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:42 PM

My cousing is a chemical engineer! Be nice to me or I’ll sic him on you!!!

Geebus…

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:01 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Yep, I’m done, I had my fun….time for more whiskey….it IS St. Paddy’s Day, afterall…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

CW on March 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I think you owe Tina an apology. I don’t expect you will b/c you have no class.

I expressed my opinion. I don’t agree I owe Tina an apology. Unless you wanna do away with the first Amendment.

Oh wait….

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

You guys

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I’m a ggggggguuuuurrrrrrrllllllll, moron.

that are full of hate

Claiming to be a mind-reader now?

and I do note you don’t have criticism for the woman who insulted Tina.

Tina’s a big girl. I don’t generally get involved in fights between women. We’ve come a long way, baby, and along that way, we picked up the right to fight each other the same way that the boys do. It’s a free country. Personally, I consider being called the worst names a compliment when they are uttered by my opponent because I know that I’ve set their hair on fire. Quite frankly, I imagine that Tina and the other poster likely feel the same way.

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I have freedom of speech too. It’s not just for you to use to insult Tina Korbe. I can use my freedom of speech to critize you for being a witch, and that’s exactly what I did. Now you can use your freedom of speech to mock my engineering degree or whatever stupdity you want to do now. :)

Regarding the cancer issue, last time I brought that up was to compliment Rush for raising and donating a lot of money to cancer research which goes to help both men and women, despite his so called war on women.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

mock my engineering degree
Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You brought it up and it is fair game.

CW on March 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My last post is in moderation because I used the word “pv$$yfooting”. Stupid filter. I bet it wouldn’t let me say c*ckatiel, either.

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The reality is you are constantly complaining about me while you defend a witch who sneers at Tina as being stupid.

It’s time for you to the big person you claim Tina is, b/c you guys will wig out at me over the most harmless comments.

if you want to insult Tina, you can’t play the victim card and I’m free to say what I think about it.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

The Rogue Tomato on March 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Amen. He’s lost his right to the benefit of the doubt.

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Listen, first it was epilepsy then cancer, I’ll admit to falling for it two!
ignore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

You can ridicule my engineering degree all you want. It’s always helped me get jobs with good companies and I’m pretty sure I make more money than my critics on here do. I’m free to “brag” about that if you want to make the curious claim that somehow engineers are stupid people.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

CW on March 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Obsessive freak…ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I have epilepsy, which isn’t a big deal, controlled by meds, and I had cancer. If you want to attack me for that, go for it. Seems like you would want something better to run with though, but I’m a logical decent person.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Like I said, I don’t get involved in fights between women.

BS and Rush doesn’t have a “war on women.”

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

…obsessive freak talks to itself half the time anyway…so ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

sorta like “you are a gentleman and a scholar…” nice polite insults.

chemman on March 17, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Could be worse. I’ve been called a genital and a scrotum.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on March 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Same old defense from Obama because he is trying to reset the clock and have his base from 2008 think that he delivered on everything he promised back then.

That is why he is attacking religous institutions. It is low-hanging fruit for radical feminists who want abortion to be seen as a right.

That is why he is refusing to allow a pipeline that is hardly a contriversal project. The radical environmentalists hate the idea so Obama like a good lapdog is against it.

That is why he will hint and suggest that DOMA will be circumvented in the future by regulation. Because God knows that few homosexuals are smart enough to understand that not all issues revolve around their sexual orientation (e.g. gays that hate Obama’s economic policies will still vote for him because he says all the right things about their lifestyle choice. It is damned stupid and they don’t even get it when they whine about the depletion of their IRA or home’s value).

Obama is clearly running a two-pronged campaign. Try to re-assemble the base that was mindlessly chanting Yes We Can, O-Bam-A, and MMM MMM MMM in 2008 by making the same promises and suggesting he just needs more time to get around to their particular issue. And at the same time trot out useless idiots and like professional slut Sandra Fluke to distract from the real issues. At no time does the Obama campaign want to be held accountable for their record or what candidate Obama said when he was running against GWB.

Happy Nomad on March 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Dr. T is obviously a feminazi, with very thin skin. Good to know. LOLz…

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Resist…talking to it more!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Usually when I bring up my cancer experience, it’s to point out that a lot of you guys need to get some perspective about things. Cancer is a real problem, not some harmless guy on the internet. You guys were wiggging out yesterday when I simply stated that I would use my status as a good student, teacher’s pet to deal with bullies rather than engage in a fight with them. I don’t see how an opinion can be harmless than that.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

very thin skin. Good to know. LOLz…

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

…even referring to it could affect your skin!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

So I see that Dr. Tesla has taken over as the resident blog monitor .

tommy-t on March 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I am male and very pro life and probably don’t fit the definition of femi-Nazi, which Rush refers to as women who are militant in their support for abortion.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Zero is lying again. His policies are the main reason gas prices are out of sight. In his mind, he is never wrong.

Algae. That is OMG funny and sad at the same time.

Gas prices have him squirming though. Its the issue that will not go away.

dogsoldier on March 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

tommy-t on March 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Obsessive…Ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

No, I’ve just expressed my opinion about ladyingrey kind of being a witch in her post to Tina and maybe she should fly off on the broomstick she ride in on. If you don’t like that, maybe you should talkt o ladyingrey about her conduct. I don’t see that happening for some reason though. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My aunt has survived three different kinds of cancer. So where are you going with this?

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

pointing out that the Obama energy solution would hike the cost of oil production, hike foreign oil dependency, hike the burden on smaller, independent energy producers, and leave Big Oil – among them Exxon, Shell, BP, Phillips and Conoco untouched:

I wish we could call his bluff on this. What if the Republicans agreed to go along with him on this? How would that play out?

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

…right where he wants you…ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Don’t get it. Is it OK to call names online, or not?

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Jeebus, can’t you effing read!?!?!?

It is ladyingray.

There is no capitalization and no letter ‘e’ in my name.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

There’s nothing in it for me to defend Miss Korbe from attacks on her intelligence. I did it because I think she’s a smart nice young woman. You could even probably call it kindness.

Others no doubt disagree.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Pay attention. IT ain’t a HE.

Thanks.

btw, SHE ain’t American, either…

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Don’t get it. Is it OK to call names online, or not?

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

IT seems like you and your gang here thinks it’s perfectly legit to insult Tina Korbe. I seem to be the only one who thought that was kind of mean, and I’m getting attacked for speaking up about it.

I don’t mind being ganged up on if I know I’m right.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Jeebus. What a newbie.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

To be fair, HA was a closed society for a couple of years (I think). Many of us read the comments but were unable to react. That is not a healthy community because anybody that slips below some norm will be deleted out of participation until the site becomes nothing but an echo chamber. I personally think HA got to that point before new voices were allowed to register. It has brought trolls and IMO less temperate opinions BUT none of us live in a world where somebody can ban for live those that disagree with our viewpoint.

And the same will happen again extreme or offensive posters will be deleted. I would hope that open registration is not so rare again so that anybody is chided for being a newbie. The community should be more transitional than that.

Happy Nomad on March 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Others no doubt disagree.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I think the word you used was smarmy.

Would you please go away so the adults can have a conversation here?

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

See?!?! Another Southerner….

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I mean, I assume she meant it in jest as a huge understatement, but I still couldn’t help my first reaction considering the evidence we’ve been able to document over the years. May as well have said, “perhaps he’s a little liberal.”

But again, I don’t think she really meant it the way it came out.

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

So, we are back with “Tax Expenditures” strategy again. It’s the governments money and they are just letting others keep a bit of it at Government Expense. Consider this a subsidy.

Egfrow on March 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

think the word you used was smarmy.

Would you please go away so the adults can have a conversation here?

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You seem to think an adult conversation is attacking Miss Korbe for the seemingly harmless use of the word perhaps. I disagree with that, and I think you are smarmy if you suggesting I’m the bad guy here. I’m not. And you know it.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM

But again, I don’t think she really meant it the way it came out.

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Until she explains it otherwise, I consider it to mean the way it came out.

Love ya, Esthier!!! :)

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

…Obsessive and clueless..ignore it!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Spelling is not important when you’re a handsome teacher’s pet, who’s a mechanical engineer…..

El Salsero on March 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Obama attacks “big oil.” I’d like to have the jug-eared idiot who has never had a legitimate job explain what “little oil” looks like. Oil companies require a huge investment in equipment and personnel. There is a financial risk in exploration that can crush a company without enough financial resources to absorb the loss.

Happy Nomad on March 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

El Salsero on March 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Do you wig out when Walter Williams talks about how handsome he is when he guest hosts on Rush’s show?

Some people get humor, others don’t. That’s not my problem.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

…obsessive…may go away if not stroked…(throw the stick away and it might ‘fetch’ and never find it’s way back!)Just ignore!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

El Salsero on March 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM

*snort*

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I’m not going to stop making little harmless jokes because some people in here are too uptight and/or brain dead to get it.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Ok guys,

I think I won the battle. I don’t want to rub it it in, too much.

W’hahahahahaha.

I wish I could invent a medication that would allow uptight people a sense of humor. They probably wouldn’t want though even if I was giving it out for free.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I haven’t passed judgment on anyone – for or against. You’re the one claiming what is and is not OK. I’m just asking for clarification.

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Well, I’m out of here. Interesting conversation where I was able to pick out the actual posts from the silly hissy fit posts. I do hope Ed or Allah can do something about Tesla’s pattern of destroying threads with post after post after post of off topic crapola.

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Some people get humor, others don’t. That’s not my problem.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM

You have no humor. That is your problem.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

It’ll take a while. After all, they love the hits!

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

If they are going to allow ladyingrey and Dee to insult Tina’s intelligence, seems like everything goes. Seems like all I did was criticize ladyingrey for being a witch and yet I’m personally attacked for it. It’s amazing to me how some of you guys see things.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I remember when Tina joined HotAir and ate that corn-dog. She was a noob then but now has evolved into a fine blogger.

Just remember that everyone goofs up once in a while except for me. I goof up a lot.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Love ya, Esthier!!! :)

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM

:) Happy St. Patty’s!

Esthier on March 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Ok guys,

I think I won the battle. I don’t want to rub it it in, too much.

W’hahahahahaha.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM

…SEE!…been like this for months!…Just let it talk to itself!…No need for interaction!…Will be happy for months to come just talking to itself!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Ok, time to hit up Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Yeah I can eat there all the time and stay fit. Jealous? No doubt. You can bitter about that while I’m away. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM…help get rid of our cancer…ignore it.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Holy frick…who is the obsessive one here? My God, you have roto-commented more than anyone! Can’t believe you have made yourself more irritating than Dr. StrangeTlove…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Is there anywhere a list of all the subsidies that big oil gets?

albill on March 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Don’t forget your bib…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

….great isn’t it! We’ve been going through this on numerous threads for months!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:49 PM

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

…it was a thread about Big Oil…if you think I’m irratating after only one thread…wait till I start paying back for the dozens I’ve sat through or avoided from that POS!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM

You can’t make me out as the bad guy in this scenario. You want to, I get that, but you can’t.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Ms. Korbe is a grown up, last time we knew. She can fight for herself, if she so chooses. You like to just insert yourself, like an annoying gnat, into all things.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM

slickwillie, squint, and a few others – well said

The economic illiteracy, envy, and general mindlessness of so much of the electorate – including, especially, the “educated” “elites”, the NPR listeners – may prove to be an insuperable obstacle to regaining any sort of national sanity. The language may beyond rescue – the very existence of the phrase “tax expenditure” – an orwellian inversion that cannot be parodied. “Hate crime” – WTF? – a concept so ridiculous that when it was first being pushed back in the 90s, even ACLU insiders (I knew one at the time) blushed and said “don’t look at me!”.

“Big oil” is a topic that exemplifies this national degradation. Oil is probably the one industry that has had the most positive impact on human economic development in modern times. And it has been, from the begining – incredibly costly, risky, and difficult. And, on average, over time, has had a return on investment that is fairly middling, and viewed in some ways has barely compensated for the cost and risk.

Squint touched on something that is key, and it goes back (at least) to the early 2000s, when the national Dem party lost its last bit of integrity and sanity as it began to demagogue the GWOT in breathtaking ways. Moral cowardice. The Bush admin. was famously and catastrophically clueless on the centrality of correcting untruths and distortions – and rebutting slanders of US policy – but beyond that there was a moral cowardice that resulted in silence in the face of increasingly extravagant imbecility on the part of libs and Dems. Vile idiots like Murtha were not virtually tarred and feathered, etc.

The “smart” (and they are not, in any sense) Beltway types are obsessed with not offending racists, ignoramuses, cowards, and cretins (national Dems, “moderates”), but instead hoping that circumstances deliver them a .000000001% electoral victory, after which they don’t have much of an idea what it is they would do. They truly don’t have the brains or character to aspire to more than tinker with an astonishingly dumbed-down, racist, irresponsible, selfish political culture. Confronting it – an inescapable neccessity if it is to be changed – is beyond their imagination.

IceCold on March 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You, obviously, don’t pay attention to detail.

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM

…you guys have been saying to ignore it for quite a while now…but everyone keeps letting it play the Pied Piper!
I guess I’m going to be an annoying gnat…until you guys get your wish…and this ones so clueless it will just have conversations with itself for weeks or months while you post around it! Wouldn’t it be fun to see something like that work? Can’t insert anything if we don’t give it a hole! (Oh gawd! Wrong thing to say for that one!)

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I see what you did there…

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ok folks, back to the thread…..

There is not, nor has never been, a subsidy for oil companies to drill.

There are three oil subsidies that the Heritage foundation argues should be removed, none of these deal with drilling:

Government R&D. The Heritage fund argues that other than the those used for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve which requires 12.7 million, this would have $399 million. A drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps. Besides, let the oil companies choose their own R&D.

Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Tax Credit. Oil producers receive a 15 percent tax credit for costlier methods and technologies into the earth. Many EOR processes are no longer in use, and the tax credit applies only when the price of oil falls below a certain level.

Marginal Well Production Credit. Marginal wells produce 15 or fewer barrels of oil per day, produce heavy oil, or produce mostly water and fewer than 25 barrels of oil per day, a tax credit that Congress should repeal.

The other subsidies, the Section 199 deduction is one that all American manufacturers recieve (even singers and musicians). Removing the oil industry from this in opposition to all other industries is effectively giving the oil companies a stealth 9 percent tax hike, which they will no doubt pass on to their customers.

The Foreign Tax Credits and Deferral of Foreign Income are meant to avoid double taxation. Once again singling the oil companies does nothing to remove a subsidy that doesn’t exist but in effect double taxes the customers who will ultimately pay it.

Here’s the information if anyone is interested.

itsspideyman on March 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

SOmewhere there’s a tree, going, “oh no, knot you again!

lovingmyUSA on March 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Excellent, spidey.

My comment was too long as is, but one point I wanted to make was that ALL “corporate taxes” are indirect taxes that are simply passed on – but not before, in many cases, distorting corporate behavior in a way inimical to investors and consumers. In short, corporate taxes are idiotic, period.

Public goods should be procured directly by the government. The SPRO vs. the regular petroleum market is a perfect illustration. Strategic reserves of oil (for true emergencies and access crises, NOT price variations) are a public good – not of any value to a private party, but valuable to all under a defined circumstance, in that they would help maintain national security operations in a real crisis.

The tax code is the worst instrument government has for affecting behavior or pursuing national interests. Yet it is the most dishonest, amenable to demagoguery and trickery, and the one most easily wielded and micro-managed by the Ways & Means Committee and Senate Finance – thus the absurdly huge US tax code.

IceCold on March 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM

You stay healthy.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Is there anywhere a list of all the subsidies that big oil gets?

albill on March 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

“Big Oil” doesn’t get subsidies. Obama is lying, as Democrats Martin Frost and Dan Boren continue to point out to the MSM.

Resist We Much on March 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

itsspideyman on March 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM
IceCold on March 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

So by pushing back when Obama brings this up, are we just falling for another of his strawmen?

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

IceCold on March 17, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Dead center IceCold.

This is the inherent evil in government power. Collecting tax is one of the government instruments which is used to attempt to control behavior. Its intended use is to pay for government services, instead it’s used by both parties (no one is exempt) to both promote and prevent what either party considers to be “acceptable” practices.

itsspideyman on March 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Dee2008 on March 17, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Dee, I wish I had the right answer.

I only know that wherever and whenever we can, we must match rhetoric with the truth.

itsspideyman on March 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM