Sebelius to kids: Instead of calling each other “jerks,” why don’t you call each other “jerks”?

posted at 3:40 pm on March 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday at a Washington D.C. middle school, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius hosted a screening of the Cartoon Network’s new film, “Stop Bullying: Speak Out.” As its name suggests, the movie aims to teach kids to speak out when they witness bullying — and to not bully other children themselves. One of its many prescriptions: Don’t call classmates words like “stupid,” “fat” and “jerk.”

Sebelius must have dozed off during the film, though, because, after the screening ended, in a panel discussion moderated by CNN’s Don Lemon, she gave advice that directly contradicted the movie:

“What do you think is the best advice for people who are going into watching this film and anyone who is watching?” asked Lemon.

As part of her answer, Sebelius said: “I think, very important, is for kids to understand how powerful you really are. You might feel like you’re not big enough, not strong enough, not–don’t have enough tools. But just saying, ‘Stop it! You know, you’re being a jerk!’–walk away, get away from this person can make a huge amount of difference.”

“And you can really rescue somebody,” Sebelius said. “You can be a real hero.”

Which is it? Is “jerk” a taboo word or the right word to use to speak out against … jerks? As they say, “Live by political correctness, die by political correctness.” As we teach kids to stand up against bullies, are we actually depriving them of the skills and tools they need to stand up against bullies? It’s a serious question.

Sebelius contradicted herself on another point. She said the government plays an important role in combating bullying in schools — presumably by drawing awareness to the issue. But then she hit the nail on the head when she said parents should step in when a child is bullied. “As a parent you should be empowered to really act on behalf of your child and other children,” she said.

As with so many well-intentioned initiatives, anti-bullying programs treat the symptom rather than the disease. Kids often act out when their own home lives are less than ideal. While playground fights will be as perennial as the playground itself, the best way to ensure harmony in public — including at school and among children — is to work for harmony in private. That means to seek to support stable families. While I’d rather the federal government not waste tax dollars on any of these types of initiatives, if we’re going to have ‘em, why not a “Save the Families” or “Stop Divorce: Speak Out” initiative?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I don’t dislike this young pup and I love him like a little brother. I’m not going to apologize for that to some bubble gum “bully expert” on the internet.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Sebelius: Clown nose on / Clown nose on. Clown nose on / Clown nose on. Clown nose on / Clown nose on…it doesn’t come off!

Another Obama / democratic party clown guilty of treason against the Constitution. Take a number, stand in line.

AttaBoyLuther on March 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

<blockquoteWe welcome….TADA….THE BULLIED!

The bullied of the world always vote Democrat. They go on Oprah and tell their story. Sad movies are made.
patfish on March 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM Actually, no. I was bullied a lot as a teen and in the workplace as an adult, and I’m definitely no democrat.

Kids really and truly do get bullied. Maybe the dems do want to use that to their own benefit in same way, but bullying is not a fabrication by democrats to score political brownie points.

One of my few objections to how the democrats discuss bullying is that they only speak out against homosexual students who are bullied for being homosexual.

I never heard the dems or liberal celebrities demand justice and protection for the straight kids who get bullied for being quiet, over weight, socially awkward and whatever else.

If conservative, Christian, or Republican kids got bullied on a regular basis (and some do), I don’t think the Democrats would care.

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

My apologies, my post formatting on my last post got messed up.
It was supposed to go like this:

We welcome….TADA….THE BULLIED!

patfish on March 16, 2012 at 6:02 PM

[cut the rest]

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

It is clear now that Liberals don’t even believe the PC garbage they spew out. If she were really excited about this, or felt it was an important took in helping Kids, she would not have made such a focused error.

Liberals are losing on every front in PC.

On the Scientific front, Global Warming is falling apart, tied to lies and manipulated data to push a social control effort. all their lofty ideas starting with CAFE standards to the increased number of deaths due to lighter cars are on their shoulders.

On the social front, Detroit is about to be taken over as the current residents have driven off the the taxpayers and we have a little Haiti here in the USA. More and more research is showing that intelligence and criminality is genetically based, and some races have more than others. Everything they have built in the entire Egalitarian edifice is based on the I.Q. sameness and reasonableness of all subspecies of Man.

On the Energy front, those damn people are not buying the flammable Volt, nuclear reactors are the wave of the future, and oil is being found in every corner of the earth.

Meanwhile, their newest pets, the Islamics, are publicly slaughtering anyone who does not agree with them, murdering not just homosexuals, but anyone who looks feminine and slicing the organs of their daughters to the tune of a gleeful “Allah Akbar!”

Even they know that it is only a matter of time before the water closes over their heads.

Bulletchaser on March 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

The way you stop it is to do whatever actually works to stop it. If that involves getting authorities involved, then go for it, if you can do it in a way that avoids blowback.
fadetogray on March 16, 2012 at 7:50 PM

That sounds good on a web page, but going to teachers or principles rarely solves anything.

Most schools (even when I was in junior high) had that zero policy thing in place, where even if the innocent victim was just defending herself, she would get suspended too. Both victim and bully were punished by the school.

Most teachers/principles I had were apathetic about my abuse, even if I went to them, told them about it, begged for help, and they saw it take place with their own two eyes.

I even had one teacher ask me to put up with it from one bully because he had a personal family problem in his life two years prior to him picking on me.

I think it was here on HA that someone did a post (with video) about a teacher (high school or junior high) who just stood there in the classroom, watching, doing nothing, while one student beat up on another one.

Most teachers will not get involved and will not stop bullying.

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

“or principle” – that should be “principal”

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Never dealt with bullies? Pshaw. I dealt with bullies my entire childhood.

It never stopped until interesting enough high school when I went to a school none of the bullies went to except one or two, but our schedules never intertwined, so we never met again.

I speak from experience. Nothing stopped them. There were talks with the teacher, Talks with the Assistant Principal. Talks with the Dean. Talks with the parents. Fighting back didn’t stop them.

I came close to having my own “Columbine”. After another horrendous day I shouted out I was bringing a knife to kill them all in 5th grade. I really did bring a knife to school the next day. The threat was taken serious enough the Assistant Principal got on my case.
hadsil on March 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM

That sounds similar to one incident I was involved in. It was at that point that a principal got involved and actually did something to stop the bullies. (That was an exception, though, most schools didn’t help me.)

Fighting back didn’t stop them.

I can see how some extremely psychologically damaged bullies might not be deterred by a victim fighting back, but I do think it works with most of them.

Threatening a bully (and honestly being willing to smack them around if need be, or actually doing it) does make a lot of bullies think twice and back off. Most bullies are too lazy to keep picking on a kid who will fight back. That’s also true of adult bullies.

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Early childhood ad hominem instruction is is a requisite for Liberals who are nearly always bullies and jerks.

Slainte on March 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM

[cut the rest]

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I was also bullied. I’ve never voted Dim.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah in fourth grade my son finally got sick of being bullied and hit. He fought back, and beat his considerably larger bully’s butt. Both were suspended. I was livid.

melle1228 on March 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Applying ALINSKY RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” Graphics and tweets mock Obama’s speech, which threw President Rutherford B. Hayes under the bus with lies. Team Obama can use the teleprompter, but not Google or Bing, or so it seems.

Mutnodjmet on March 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

If I was bullied a lot as a kid, I probably wouldn’t go around telling everybody that.

It’s like a badge of honor for some of you guys.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

And you would also give Bush’s HHS Secretaries (he had 2, the first from ’01 to ’05 and the other from ’05 to ’09) a Pass had they said the exact same thing.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM

It’s all Bush’s fault! /sarc

Gladtobehere on March 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM

…….
TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I am aware of that. My point was that no one simple strategy works in every physical bullying situation. You have to consider your options and choose what looks like it has the best chance to work. Sometimes, under some circumstances, turning to authorities can work. In most government education centers that is not the case, but saying one should never try that route under any circumstances would be wrong.

The “stand up to them” strategy works the most often, but sometimes you can know to a high degree of certainty that it won’t work when dealing with a particular young thug. You’ll just get your face beaten in.

fadetogray on March 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

melle1228 on March 16, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I’m sorry to hear that your son got into trouble too, and all he was doing was defending himself.

In junior high, two girls picked a fight with me (I did not start it. I never instigated fights, I was so shy).

The vice principal was sympathetic to me, but he handed the affair over to the principal, who blamed me (even though I didn’t start the fight) and pretty much said I deserved to get beat up.

He was then going to suspend the two bully girls and me, but my parents were furious, my dad got nasty about it, so the principal backed off.

I had another teacher who felt sorry for a bully who was harassing me (she saw him harassing me herself, for a week), and she asked me not to report him!

She said he had a personal family tragedy two years prior, and she felt sorry for him. But she didn’t feel too sorry for me getting picked on.

I am so amazed that our society (and schools) tells victims to just sit there and take abuse in silence.

We’re supposed to feel sorry for the abusers, or punish the victims for fighting back. I don’t understand it at all.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM

…After you have had to face and deal with such a situation, people saying “just stand up to them” is always the best strategy sounds clueless, arrogant and presumptuous. And spoiled.

fadetogray on March 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Most authorities I dealt with as a kid in school, or adult on the job (I was bullied by an adult boss at work), they did not do anything when I told them I was being abused.

I had to stand up for myself. When I did, the bullies backed off and were usually afraid of me after.

I’ve read so much about bullying in the workplace, and one author who is an expert on the subject said that is usually the case, that those in authority will not help you if you ask them for help.

Human Resources Department will not defend you, nor will your co- workers, and so the expert says your only choice is to either have it out with the bully yourself, or get a job somewhere else.

Most people do not want to take responsibility or stick their neck out in risk for someone who is being abused at school or work.

Even in other situations, people don’t generally get involved. Many years ago, there was a story on the news about a young girl in a public park who was raped (by several teens/ young men) with lots of people around, and not a single person stopped it or even tried. Nobody called the cops.

If you don’t defend yourself, about 99% of the time, nobody else will.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

TigerPaw,

Sounds like you need to get over this. There are a lot more serious problems, like cancer. Get some perspective. Why are you obsesssing about some bullies in junior high? Focus on the present and the future.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I told someone this on another thread about bully’s. When I was in school we also had bully’s, they would always pick on the weakest ones of course. I didn’t like it. My best friend who had been held back a grade or two didn’t like it. We used to beat the crap out of the bully’s. They would not bother the weak ones again. So is being a bully to the bully’s a bad thing?

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Apparently is has escaped your attention I’ve not been replying to your insipid, trollish posts for about a page now. When I told you to get bent, I meant it. Observe as I go back to ignoring your posts in this thread on this topic once more.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM

No, it’s not bullying a bully, it’s holding the bully accountable for his or her behavior, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Most bullies (as studies have shown) are not moved by appeals of compassion or empathy to stop bullying other kids (true of adults as well), but by getting the snot whacked out of them, or punished in some other way.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

TigerPaw, the Dr. always argues that way. Sounds like you know a thing or two about the subject. I’m getting ready to crash, but if you see my post above, I’ll check back for your thoughts. I would appreciate hearing your take on how my friend and I comported ourselves in regards to bully’s. Good night.

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:55 AM

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Dang I type slow, you beat me to it. No pun intended. Thanks. I always felt like we did the right thing. I just didn’t like seeing weaker ones hurt that way. I’m not weak. Good night. Don’t let the Dr. get your humbles.; )

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Kathleen Sebelius was born a rich, white child.

V-rod on March 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The realitiy is you are the troll. You personally attacked me out of the blue, and I just engaged you. You used expressions like “get bent” which is about as crude and vulgar as you can get. You are holier than thou and caught up in your victimization that you don’t realize how annoying you are. I can understand why you are were a target of bullying if this is how you always are. You are not likeable in any regard.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Who made this TigerPaw person an expert on bullying and how to deal with it? What makes her source authority on this issue?

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I’m only about half way through this thread at this stage, but you shtick got pretty old several posts before that one. It was mildly amusing at first, but it’s gotten old.

Would you consider doing a soft shoe, some jazz hands, lifting your hat up with one hand & waving it at the audience, and exiting from stage?

TigerPaw on March 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This is Tiger Paw’s attack on me, out of the blue, simply because I stated that I would go the snitch route over the physical confrontation with a bully route.

This is how the smarmy people on here like to do it. They insult me, and then call me the troll. Then she lectures me on how to handle some guy at work that she doesn’t even know.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I do think people who claim to have been bullied constantly probably were doing something that annoyed people. If everybody is bullying you out there, it’s probably got something to do with you. Just a theory, can’t prove it.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM
Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM
Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

Bunsin2 on March 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?

Bunsin2 on March 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Does a guy who just lurk on a political comment board all day while rarely commenting (you) ever get noticed.

Probably not.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Why does this bother you so much that you have to badger people?

You irritate me to no end, do you see me bullying you? No. I have self control.

It’s clear you have no idea what you are talking about, but that’s probably because you don’t interact with people on a regular basis so have no frame of reference of social interactions. Instead, we are (un)lucky enough to be the recipients of your lack of social skills.

kim roy on March 17, 2012 at 4:18 AM

kim roy on March 17, 2012 at 4:18 AM

I’m not the one riding around on a broomstick. I never talked to you, I don’t know who you are, yet you are attacking me. You seem to be the one with some issues with interpersonal communication.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Sebelius …ironic that this particular witch hails from Kansas.

Dorothy never met anyone this evil!

The lion the WITCH and the wardrobe.

Sherman1864 on March 17, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Bully those Bullies to stop bullying. Hmmmmmmm, Health and Human Services huh?

Dollayo on March 17, 2012 at 6:25 AM

What? Sebelius didn’t suggest calling sleazy Eric Holder and his buddies at the Sinaloa drug cartel to have ‘em whacked?

viking01 on March 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Bully those Bullies to stop bullying. Hmmmmmmm, Health and Human Services huh?

Dollayo on March 17, 2012 at 6:25 AM

yup. My daughter was hassled because I opted her out of the bully class by some of the attendees. And what is she doing to the Catholic Church if not bullying? Boeing?

redmama on March 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Rush should have called Fluke a bully.

redmama on March 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM

If Sebelius has kids, I’d bet everything I own they suffer with survivor’s guilt. That woman was born with a death trap.

jan3 on March 17, 2012 at 9:24 AM

We didn’t have zero tolerance then. Today, I would teach my kid to respond with sufficient force to make picking on them a losing proposition and that I would back them up regarding any consequences.

I was bullied until I’d had enough and launched a no-warning first strike intended to do real damage. After three or four demonstrations of ‘disproportionate response’ I got a reputation as a nice guy who might suddenly go psycho if you messed with him. Very effective.

SurferDoc on March 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

My daughter stopped getting bullied the day she put a bully on the ground and kicked him in the face.

Cause and effect.

Roy Rogers on March 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Fighting back didn’t stop them.

hadsil on March 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I don’t believe you ever fought back.

NotCoach on March 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM

The conclusion I have reached. Beat bully’s severely and often. And its okay. You know because deep inside they are cowards. They project that onto their victims, until they are called on it.

Bmore on March 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Is that woman even paying attention? Every time a memebr of the Obama administration opens his/her mouth, they demonstrate just exactly what a bunch of incompetent boobs they really are.

Mr. Grump on March 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

SurferDoc on March 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM

You did a better job of making the point I was trying to make earlier. You set the place and terms of battle, and you used the element of surprise.

The biggest mistake victims make is thinking they need to ‘fight fair’ against a bully. Unless the bully has made a serious mistake in judgment regarding your relative fighting abilities (something they rarely do) that is the last thing you want to do. You want to surprise the bully in a place where he is not expecting it. Fighting a bully after school or letting the bully take you by surprise is a good way to get repeatedly pounded.

fadetogray on March 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

fadetogray on March 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I don’t necessarily disagree with your comments, I just wanted to add a thought of two.

Based on all the reading I’ve done on the subject, even if you lose a physical (or even a verbal) alteration with a bully, the fact that you will put up a fight at all is enough of a deterrent for most bullies (this is true for adult bullies as well as children bullies).

Studies on the subject have shown that aggressive people (bullies) take a mental calculation on the effort and ease of bullying… if they view you as an “easy mark” (you won’t fight back at all), they are much more likely to target you for abuse and harassment.

The one small exception to that is that among adults in the workplace (and this is according to a guy who’s an expert on this subject, he’s been studying this for I think 20 or more years now, he’s written books on the subject etc) some adult bullies go totally berserk and crazy and they fume in rage when another adult in the workplace will not submit to them, and they will then increase the abuse.

Such bullies feel insecure and feel the only way to dampen their anxiety is by controlling everyone else around them, so when they are faced with a co worker who will not submit but who resists, they go nuts.

But even in the books by the guy who discusses this, he recommends that even with such a bully, you should not cave in, because usually caving in/ remaining passive just hoping the abuse will stop/ or not doing anything will not halt it.

He says your only other choice is to quit and get a job someplace else (most employers will not defend someone who is being harassed/bullied)

On another note, people do not “ask” to be bullied, or deserve it, nor do they anything “annoying,” which causes them to be bullied.

Many targets of bullying do display the same set of behaviors / and similar personality traits, however, as this page discusses (I posted it earlier in this thread, but it got lost under all the troll posts by the troll on the last page):

Uncomfortable Truth About Victims

This is just a brief sample from that page:

Here are characteristics that bind victims to isolation, humiliation, and despair:

~They acquiesce too quickly to demands.

~They are submissive before they’re picked on.

~They cry and cower, sometimes making elaborate displays of pain and suffering, fueling further attacks.

~They offer too few healthy boundaries. They refuse to defend themselves, leaving their attackers undeterred to future attacks.

~They often radiate low self-confidence with words, actions, and body language.

~They wear distress on their sleeves—they’re socially not shrewd. They don’t know how to conceal their feelings when doing so is wise and prudent.

It appears the post I made last night with three links in it to good resources about bullying did not make it through moderation. :o(

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

OK, my last post with a link didn’t go through either. I’ll try this differently (I guess if you want to read the whole thing, you can do a search for it’s title, or search for it on the CNN site):

CNN study: Schoolyard bullies not just preying on the weak

By Chuck Hadad
A new study commissioned by CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360°” found that the stereotype of the schoolyard bully preying on the weak doesn’t reflect reality in schools.

Instead, the research shows that many students are involved in “social combat” — a constant verbal, physical and cyber fight to the top of the school social hierarchy.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’d be interested in hearing people who know and knew Tiger Paw and their side of the story on her.

Anybody can say they did nothing to start a fight in high school. But there are a lot of dishonest people on the internet.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM

In my last post, it should have been “its title” not “it’s.”

One author concluded (based on this study below) that this is why you cannot reason with a bully – or ask them to have empathy, in the hopes of getting them to stop picking on other people.

The only thing that stops most bullies is getting beat up, or some other kind of serious repercussion.

Brain Scans Show Bullies May Enjoy Watching Pain
(study by professor Jean Decety of University of Chicago)

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

If you’re someone who has been bullied a lot in life, you might be codependent (in layman’s terms: you’re a people pleaser, or you think of yourself as really, really nice, and standing up to people when they’re mean or rude to you makes you feel guilty or afraid).

There are a lot of great books and sites that define codependency and tell you have to overcome it, and tell you how to maintain healthy boundaries to stop being bullied or taken advantage of by other people.

People are bullied as adults by other adults, it’s not something that happens in childhood only.

Quit Being So Nice: Likability is overrated and counterproductive

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Tigerpaw
Ed morrissey@ hotair.com

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Thank you angrymike, I’ll give that e-mail address a try.

Thank you to blink too – I wasn’t lying or making up anything about myself, I have no reason to.

I wish I had not been bulled in my childhood and part of my adulthood, but it did happen.

I guess the one good thing to come of being bullied is that I learned a lot from it, did a lot of reading about it, and can help other people who are dealing with it.

TigerPaw on March 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM

As with so many well-intentioned initiatives, anti-bullying programs treat the symptom rather than the disease. Kids often act out when their own home lives are less than ideal. While playground fights will be as perennial as the playground itself, the best way to ensure harmony in publicincluding at school and among children — is to work for harmony in private is to ban playgrounds.” T.K.

FIFY
No Playgrounds = No Problems – It’s the PC Way.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I think liberals are the worst bullies of all. They are always in your face about something and never leave you alone. Now they are campaigning that it’s not cool to stand up for yourself.and you’ re supposed to just look the other way, which is exactly what liberals want you to do.

gatorfanatic on March 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM