Revealed: Osama bin Laden’s plot to kill Obama and make “totally unprepared” Biden President

posted at 1:20 pm on March 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

David Ignatius got an advance look at intel captured during the commando mission that killed Osama bin Laden showing that the al-Qaeda leader continued to plot terrorist attacks even from his hide-in-plain-sight bunker in Abbottabad, Pakistan.  The communications from bin Laden, which will shortly be declassified and published in both English and the original Arabic, also shows that the terrorist leader has more in common with another nutcase in a bunker a few decades earlier:

Before his death, Osama bin Laden boldly commanded his network to organize special cells in Afghanistan and Pakistan to attack the aircraft of President Barack Obama and Gen. David Petraeus.

“The reason for concentrating on them,” the al-Qaeda leader explained to his top lieutenant, “is that Obama is the head of infidelity and killing him automatically will make (Vice President Joe) Biden take over the presidency. … Biden is totally unprepared for that post, which will lead the U.S. into a crisis. As for Petraeus, he is the man of the hour … and killing him would alter the war’s path” in Afghanistan.

Administration officials said Friday the Obama-Petraeus plot was never a serious threat. …

The man bin Laden hoped would carry out the attacks on Obama and Petraeus was the Pakistani terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri. “Please ask brother Ilyas to send me the steps he has taken into that work,” bin Laden wrote to his top lieutenant, Atiyah Abd al-Rahman. A month after bin Laden’s death, Kashmiri was killed in a U.S. drone attack.

That sequence was likely no accident.  The intel picked up from the OBL raid almost certainly gave the US multiple leads in tracking down the rest of the AQ network, although the exposure of the raid might have sent many targets into hiding.

Why was it not a serious threat?  AQ lacks the capacity to shoot down aircraft, according to Ignatius’ sources, although their allies in the Taliban have had some success at targeting helicopters in Afghanistan.  They probably lacked the manpower to make the attempt as well, thanks to years of American attacks degrading their capabilities. Also, the notion that Joe Biden was “totally unprepared” to be President is another example of a lack of serious understanding of the US.  Biden had a lot more experience than Obama did coming into the Oval Office, in domestic and foreign affairs.  Biden might not make a good President for other reasons, but it’s not due to a total lack of preparation.  If that was the main aim of al-Qaeda, they don’t sound terribly bright.

The intel paints a conflicting image of bin Laden in hiding.  It sounds almost like an echo of Adolf Hitler moving phantom armies around Germany from his bunker in the last week of the war, refusing to acknowledge the reality of defeat.  However, on another level, the intel Ignatius saw shows bin Laden very much in charge of the network in a hands-on way, much different than the picture painted of him as more of an inspirational leader rather than operational commander.

The AQ terrorist leader also wanted to put together a plan to manipulate the media on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.  American traitor Adam Gadahn offered his expertise on the message and the distribution, the latter of which contained a bit of a backward endorsement for Fox News:

“It should be sent for example to ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN and maybe PBS and VOA. As for Fox News let her die in her anger,” Gadahn wrote. At another point, he said of the networks: “From a professional point of view, they are all on one level — except (Fox News) channel, which falls into the abyss as you know, and lacks objectivity, too.”

Ignatius humorously predicts that Fox may adopt “al-Qaeda’s least-favorite network” as a selling point.  Be sure to read it all

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is Gadhan behind the Koran burning propaganda ginning up the natives in Afghanistan?

Where was the last sighting of Gadhan – Pakistan?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I don’t care what your politics. No one in the world screws with the POTUS.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

And don’t forget, “No one messes with JOE!”

TugboatPhil on March 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM

A former boss of mine once said that she’d wished Hinkley had succeeded in killing Reagan. I thought she was making a bad joke, but she assured me she meant it. I was honest-to-God shocked.

Lightswitch on March 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I’ve heard many liberals say that. Little wonder that if there is political violence in our country, liberals are usually the instigators.

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

And now, brought to you live from the abyss, the only channel all terrorists love to hate, it’s FOX NEWS!

Oracleforhire on March 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I’m glad Obama and Petraeus are is safe.

Mr. Prodigy on March 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Truthers hardest hit.

Urban Infidel on March 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Silly Bin Laden!!!

NOBODY could be more “totally unprepared” to be president than Obama!!!

landlines on March 16, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The hard left did dream of killing President Bush.

I then asked one why they thought President Cheney would be so much better.

Swallow an olive time….

IlikedAUH2O on March 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM

They pretty much wanted Cheney dead too. This is the way the rational party of science types handle disagreements they can’t win: They fantasize about their enemies dropping dead.

ghostwriter on March 16, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Let’s Flash Back to 2 years ago in the WaPo, which reported on Darth Cheney’s latest health issues:

Former vice president Richard B. Cheney was hospitalized Monday at George Washington University Hospital after suffering from chest pains, his office said.

“His doctors are evaluating the situation and he is resting comfortably,” Cheney’s office said in a statement.

NBC News reported that Cheney, 69, underwent an angiogram — a procedure allowing doctors to examine blood flow in an artery. Doctors described his condition to the network as stable.

Now, let’s see some of the WaPo “readers” wish Mr. Cheney well in his recovery:

Has anyone tried a stake through his heart?

My wishes are coming true!!!!!

About 2 or 3 months ago I wished this animal 6 heart attacks this year and to survive every single of them, and here it goes; NUMERO UNO.

Keep counting folks.

“Is he dead yet? What’s he waiting for?”

This is awesome!

It’s a shame he probably has something that can be fixed.

Would I wish Goehring or Himler a speedy recovery as well? I don’t believe I would. Cheney is just evil.

Perhaps of well all send him plates of bacon, ham, and scrapple, this process would speed up a bit. Oh, the suspense!

Must be those old war wounds. Oh, forgot, he had all those deferments. Perhaps his Halliburton options dipped causing those fibrillations. Anyway he should stop waterboarding in the morning.

Remember, Kids, all of these Comments came from folks who voted for O’bama. Including the last one, who willfully ignores Joe Biden’s 5 draft deferments.

Del Dolemonte on March 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM

“Who knew that Osama bin Laden was a Republican?”

/ Lame Stream Media spin in 3…. 2…. 1…

Khun Joe on March 16, 2012 at 4:24 PM

According to the Left, a leader of a foreign government or organization trying to assassinate a (Republican) President is not cause enough for war…..

Ben Hur on March 16, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Ed, Biden would be only slightly better president, and it is not because he is capable of leading or competent in any way. He is not.

scotash on March 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

King Dunham has made the Arabist Petraeus his bi$ch and Petraeus really seems to like it.

sartana on March 16, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I don’t care what your politics. No one in the world screws with the POTUS.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Agree. I may not like the man, Politically…or even personally, but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let someone take a shot at him and not bring the wrath down on their ass myself.

Or barring that, demand that we bow them back so far in time they’ll WISH they could return to the 7th Century.

BlaxPac on March 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Pelosi would have become Veep?

profitsbeard on March 16, 2012 at 5:16 PM

There will never be anyone more unqualified to be President than Obama

scboy on March 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

scotash on March 16, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Aye Jimmy. The difference is that I believe Biden actually loves America and all Americans.

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Odd that he saw 0bama as more prepared than Biden. As if replacing 0bama with Biden would have been a devastating setback for the USA in terms competence at the helm. Laughable actually. Could it be that he only watched MSNBC?

Tomolena1 on March 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I’m no fan of Obama, & can’t wait to see the day that commie is out of office…

But people were concerned about having Palin as a possible VP?

Joe Biden is synonymous for ‘moron’.

Danny on March 16, 2012 at 7:37 PM

OBL was trying to trade a known moron for another known moron?

Danny on March 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Hawkdriver’s right, nobody messes with the POTUS, he represents all American’s and an attack on him, is an attack on all of us. That so many democrats failed utterly in understanding that when George was president, is the saddest thing of all.

I’ve known democrats who said, they wished he’d just die, and I heard the same during Reagan’s years..

sigh,.. maybe it’s veterans have a clearer sense of the honor of it, but I was taught from an early age, cops, soldiers in my family, that you always respect the office.. if not the man himself. I’ve tried hard to never cross that line, always using Obama’s name, never pet names, or insulting ones..

I was just raised that way, and I do think Obama has been an unmitigated disaster.. but I still can’t demean the man.. not in me.. I’ll vote against him, tell of his mistakes, and blunders, but I can’t step over that one last rule… respect the office..

I understand that’s my rule, and no one else is bound by that, just.. I think I understand you clearly here Hawkdriver..

and I’d burn all the belts necessary to take down anyone who tried to harm our president.

Election day is another issue. When he does answer to the people, but I’ll never wish him harm.

mark81150 on March 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM

So Biden was the “hair” apparent?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I have always maintained that the reason Obama pick Biden for VP was assassination insurance.

No one would want to contemplate Biden as Potus.

schmuck281 on March 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM

It must be difficult for Hot Air to decide exactly where to come down on this story.

plewis on March 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Well, on the one hand, Biden is unprepared to be president, so you have to give bin Laden credit for that.

On the other hand, Obama is no more prepared or qualified, so that takes credit away from bin Laden.

Either way, no one else is allowed to target a U.S. president, so it’s just as well that bin Laden is history. But then, he had already earned that death sentence many times over.

That’s where I come down on it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Total BS

Bongo is by far their most effective asset

He could travel pockistan, alone, and return unscathed

Sonosam on March 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM