Obama in 2008: Americans need to suck it up and pay more for energy

posted at 9:15 am on March 16, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama has put on his public face of concern over high gas prices. Steven Chu has reversed his 2008 insistence that American gas prices needed to rise to European levels in order to make alternatives more competitive and people more desperate for them. Is any of this sincere? Morgen Richmond of the now-moribund Verum Serum blog found this nugget from Obama himself in May 2008, explaining that Hope and Change meant big change — in energy prices.  When an attendee to this town hall asked Obama what sacrifices he would ask of Americans, Obama leaped at the chance to explain the outcome of his energy policies (via Ace):

I like Ace’s approach to technological development:

I prefer the “Old” approach to emerging technology: We adopt new technology when it is better and cheaper than the old technology, not when it is worse and more expensive, forced to convert over by a government demanding we pay more for less. So we can reap all these speculative benefits in a hypothetical future.

You know what I liked best about the old approach, other than the fact that it worked?  It didn’t require government to place bad bets on companies like Solyndra that wouldn’t have survived otherwise to ruin more capital and resources.  Think about that for a moment: these government interventions cost us money whether we get more energy efficient or not.  And what has it produced?  Nothing of consequence, and nothing that would last once the subsidies that make them artificially competitive now (to the extent they’ve even achieved that status) once the subsidies end.

The old method of allowing capital to produce innovation and consumers to choose winners brought us prosperity and technological advancement.  Obama’s has brought us bankruptcies, soaring debt, and no progress at all.  That’s change, all right.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was typing too fast though, he’s 82nd…specializes mostly in jumping out of em :)

DHChron on March 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I was teasing, (unless you bro is real old)

I retired 82nd CAB.

Maybe he meant the 81nd?

blink on March 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

shhhh, I was assigned to screw with DHC this morning.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Everyday I get sicker and sicker seeing this POS’s face on TV. He thinks he’s Chavez or Mussolini! We are in deep-deep trouble.

vietvet68 on March 16, 2012 at 11:01 AM

This is what people should expect when voting for ANY liberal, and should RonMe get elected they should prepare for more of the same. ;o)

DannoJyd on March 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I was teasing, (unless you bro is real old)

I retired 82nd CAB.

snap-crackle – does the 81 not exist anymore? (no, he’s not real old :-)

you’re gonna try harder to screw with me…although you do trump Ed and his mommy’s basement crap. Oops! I was supposed to shut my yapper.

DHChron on March 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

alright hawkster, I actually do have a crap load of work to do so screw with me later…well, at least try ;)

DHChron on March 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I was trying to help you with your assignment! I thought my use of “nd” with the “81″ was clever.

blink on March 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

it was blink ;)

DHChron on March 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

DHChron on March 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Me too. You move metal and build a carport. I’m hoping this is the last day I have to sand joint compound. The project that wouldn’t die.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM

blink on March 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It was.

hawkdriver on March 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM

More on Bammie’s big LIE: Scarce Oil? U.S. Has 60 Times More Than Obama Claims

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Nice selective memory you’ve got there. Romney has been pounding Prez Algae on energy day in and day out.

Buy Danish on March 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Someone else has kept quite busy living in 0′s head rent free.

Bmore on March 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

mankai on March 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Buy Danish on March 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM

“Well, no one can guarantee what the price of oil’s going to be, but we can take advantage of what we know we have,” Romney said. “The president has lots of places to point his finger and, of course, we alone don’t set world energy prices.”

Hard-hitting stuff!/

mankai on March 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Dear JugEars…….SUCK THIS!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Change we can believe in. Yeah, pocket change. That’s all I got left after filling the tank. That’s all I got left after grocery shopping. That’s all I got left after clothes shopping for the kids. That’s all I got left after paying the utility bills. That’s all I got left after paying my taxes.

But I inflated my tires.

Waiting for that algae to fuel my car. Hoping I can heat my house with it and use it to feed and clothe the family.

The only change I can believe in is the change in presidents come November.

AttaBoyLuther on March 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Dear JugEars…….SUCK THIS!

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

So, how do you really feel?

LOL!

Roy Rogers on March 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

How about a public/private project for a People’s Car? I’m thinking something a little smaller and less expensive than the Volt, but the public/private/regime-run union model has worked before.

forest on March 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I heard something from a relative of mine in the car business. The rumor is (and someone let me know if I’m imparting old news) that the Feds and some “private entities” (unknown who those are-maybe FOMOCO) are starting a program, being tested in Detroit, to provide cash subsidies and/or government-guaranteed loans to low-income people to either 1)buy a car that will take them to and from work (and they will limit driving how?), or 2)repair their existing vehicle, as long as it is needed to take them to and from work. The subsidies are said to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10k and the loans cannot have interest rates exceeding 8%, credit worthiness be damned. Sound like the housing debacle redux?

Anyone know anything about this?

totherightofthem on March 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Don’t forget how Obama answered the question about energy prices when he said “Just from a political perspective, do you think the president of the United States going into reelection wants gas prices to go up higher? Is there anybody here who thinks that makes a lot of sense?”

Notice that Obama didn’t use his favorite “I” in the above sentence. Rather he speaks in the third person.

We all know he wants energy prices to go up, the lying POS!

jqc1970 on March 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

When is this going to be a campaign commercial for the GOP? Come on, this is the easiest commercial to run this year. He owns this gas price and electricity hike. Make him own it.

goflyers on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We all know he wants energy prices to go up, the lying POS!

jqc1970 on March 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM

That was a really astute observation! I think that you’ve nailed it.

ghostwriter on March 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM

forest on March 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Not going to happen. Little Bammie wants cars expensive for the same reason that he wants gasoline expensive. That’s why outrageous impossible CAFE targets are a win-win for them.

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I insult people here and am derided.

I praise people here and am derided.

You are great.

“Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem.” — President Ronald Reagan

Some think I am a RINO since I want the best solution from the socialists who seem to always end up in charge.

In other posts, I cited transportation solutions that work. However, I have not yet found one that operates on unicorn breath.

Decades ago, even Media Matters and Mr. Soros would agree with me. He called himself a Social Democrat and was not as radical as he seems today. He wanted successful economies.

Since the 1990′s there is a subtle but near uniform rejection of sound economics by the left.

Now I have begun to wonder if they want to entirely destroy the economy of our country.

And this thought is from someone with a lot of academic credentials and personal success, not a redneck.

IlikedAUH2O on March 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I look at the faces in the crowd and I just marvel that anybody could be that stupid, that taken in by this lying, conniving stealth Marxist. What we need is some facial recognition software to identify those folks so we can send them on a Snipe hunt come election day.

SpiderMike on March 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

forest on March 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

The Volt is a “public/private/regime-run union” product, and no, that never actually works;

During the war, the factory made the military Kubelwagen instead. What it and the KdF had in common beside their mechanics is that as originally designed (to political “specifications”), neither one could survive in a competitive environment. In the “bucket car’s” case, it didn’t matter, as it was purely a military vehicle, an analogue of our Jeep.

In the KdF’s case, it absolutely did matter, starting in 1948, when it was re-introduced as the Volkswagen. After serious redesign to make it something people would actually want to buy, in a competitive market.

Other examples of such vehicles include the Trabant (East Germany), the Moskvich (USSR), and the Red Banner (PRC). In the end, all three went down when their governments either (a) died, as in the GDR and USSR, or (b) concluded that they were not worth fooling with anymore- which is why U.S. car makers have plants in Red China today.

The only way such a program could “work” would be if the government mandated that only their “people’s car” would be allowed.

Do you really want to give The One another stupid socialist idea to enact by Executive Order?

I do not.

clear ether

eon

eon on March 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hey Mr. Prezuhdunce, if you think oil is the fuel of the past, then why are you still using gas-powered vehicles? I think you should be the one to set the example bcuz you think you’re the big example setter, so it’s time for you, Baraka, to man up and make the first move. No more gas for the Beast, Marine One, Air Force One or any other vehicle you might travel in. Sorry, Prez, you’re grounded and stuck in the big white fishbowl. Time to put your fuel where your boastful, deluding, malicious, spiteful, denigrating, deceiving, distorting, lying mouth is.

I so wish a reporter would ask him how soon he plans to give it up.

stukinIL4now on March 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I can’t believe he is the president.

tommer74 on March 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I can’t believe he is the president.

tommer74 on March 17, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Exactly. The combination of lies, stupidity, and gibberish in this short video would make him unelectable in a country where voters had functioning brains.

Jaibones on March 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

SpiderMike on March 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Classic.

Jaibones on March 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM

How can we expect those people in the audience to understand a word Barry was saying when he’s eyes were so dreamy?

Heck, half the women and a quarter of the men were staring at his butt.

DrW on April 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM