Gingrich today on chance he’ll drop out before the convention: “Probably none”

posted at 12:45 pm on March 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Newt Gingrich said again this morning that he plans to battle all the way to Tampa.

Asked on CBS’s This Morning “under what circumstances” he would end his campaign before the convention, Gingrich responded: “Probably none.” He told host Charlie Rose, “I’ll be with you in Tampa, Charlie,” adding, “I have 176,000 donors at Newt.org. They want me to stay in the race.”

On a later appearance on Fox News’ Fox & Friends, Gingrich said voters in Illinois were telling him to stay in the race. “I think the people who are supporting me want to have sort of a Reagan-like visionary, a big ideas candidate,” he said.

The latest Newt-related meme is that his presence in the race actually helps Santorum. Newt himself advanced this theory in a call-in to Laura Ingraham’s radio program, even as he insisted that he doesn’t have to cede the title of “the true conservative” to Santorum:

“My view on that is that the minute Romney has one opponent his Super PAC will drown that opponent in mud. That’s what happened to me in Iowa and Florida,” Gingrich said. “It will eventually happen to Santorum and I think it is actually to our net advantage to keep Romney divided.”

While Gingrich toned down hitting Santorum since losing both Mississippi and Alabama, on Thursday he said he didn’t have to concede to Santorum either.

“There are a lot of things I don’t agree with Santorum on. I don’t have an obligation to automatically salute as a conservative somebody who was in a leadership that ran up $1.7 trillion in debt,” Gingrich said.

All math aside, it’s really not in the best interest of Santorum or, for that matter, Romney or the GOP for Gingrich to stay in the race. So why is he really? It might be that Gingrich really is that determined to stop Romney at all costs, but a presidential campaign is expensive and exhausting. Would Gingrich carry on if he believed he had absolutely no chance of capturing the nomination at a contested convention? Given that Gingrich is Gingrich, I think he thinks he can still stage a comeback.

He’s clear-eyed enough to recognize that he doesn’t have a chance in Illinois, where polls show a clear two-man race between Romney and Santorum, so he’s forgoing it — and focused on Louisiana instead. The South, the South, the South. This time, though, he’s not emphasizing his Southern strategy. He’s talking instead about a “reset” of the race, a chance to recenter voters on the idea that they need a visionary — and he’s that guy.

“I am going to fine-tune my message to say that ‘without vision the people perish,’ ” Gingrich said Thursday, quoting Scripture while touring a manufacturing plant here. Gingrich’s trip to Illinois was essentially a layover for the campaign before heading to Louisiana, which has a primary more than a week away. …

Gingrich is hanging his latest hopes on the March 24 primary in Louisiana, where the former Georgia congressman is expected to drive some conservatives away from Santorum. He left Thursday night for the Bayou State, making room for his opponents, who are expected to campaign in Illinois this weekend.

“Louisiana is sort of halftime,” Gingrich said. “I want to see if we can’t reset this race around really big ideas and really big solutions and insist the American people have the chance to vote for a dramatically different future.”

On the trail, Gingrich continues to invoke Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. It strikes me now that both those leaders had their share of electoral failure before they had electoral success. Neither had particularly exemplary personal lives, either. The relevant question might not be: Will Gingrich drop out before the convention? It might be: Will Newt Gingrich ever drop out, in general? No matter what happens in this election or future ones, Gingrich, driven by his ideas, will still seek to market them. It’s an inspiring thing to behold, actually.

Comments

Key word: “Probably”

aunursa on March 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Drop out and become the attack dog that won’t stop chomping on Obama’s record. That’s how you’ll best serve the country now, Newt – if you care at all about that.

RedNewEnglander on March 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Please stay in it Newt. Focus on Obama’s and Romney’s liberalism.

tom daschle concerned on March 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM

It doesn’t really matter now if Newt drops out. He won’t receive more than 15% in any of the remaining contests and won’t receive more than 10% in most of them. Once voters know that you can’t win, they don’t “waste” their votes. Newts losses in his backyard told the voters that he can’t win.

Nemesis of Jihad on March 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

tina inspired by newt.

millions of women inspired by Sarah.

renalin on March 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Why aren’t there any post about when Santorum is going to drop out of the race? Santorum is trailing Romney also.

I mean Santorum isn’t beating Romney so when do we get to read about when he will throw in the towel if he can’t overcome Romney’s lead? Is Santorum in it till the bitter end?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Persistence Pathetic

dmann on March 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quitters never win and winners never…..well,..you know how it goes.

a capella on March 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“Louisiana is sort of halftime,” Gingrich said.

So “Halfime in America” is … Louisiana?

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Apparently the only thing Newt isn’t persistent in is staying in his marriages.

inthemiddle on March 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Hang in there Newt…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on March 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I read somewhere that there was a move to raise 2 million dollars for Rick Santorum’s campaign, how much money does Rick Santorum have left in his campaign coffers?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Question: Rank the ego size of the following three public figures, highest to lowest. In this instance, we’ll use “ego” as synonymous with “sense of self-regard.” Stick to these three names, with no additions or deletions. Tough call, isn’t it? Here’s what I came up with:

1) Newt Gingrich
2) Donald Trump
3) Bill O’Reilly

Drew Lowell on March 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

As a Floridian, I try to avoid Tampa as much as possible. Battle my way to there? Not so much. :P

lorien1973 on March 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

As I said in the other thread, I think that it would be very dangerous if we have to wait until the convention to get a nominee. The convention is at the end of August and that would mean that our nominee out of the convention would only have two months to put together a general election and campaign against president Obama. There is also the problem of previous GOP brokered conventions.

There have been several brokered GOP conventions, such as Goldwater and Ford. All of the brokered conventions resulted in a major loss during the general for the GOP brokered nominee (please see before-mentioned elections of Goldwater and Ford elections). Why should we have any expectation a brokered convention in the fall will be different? Perhaps it will but it takes a lot of guile and hubris to just assume this time it will be different.

I think that the race should continue until about June. If by June, Santorum cannot seal the deal, as the saying goes, then both he and Gingrich should step aside and let Romney become the presumptive nominee. This way, Republicans can unite and begin the general campaign. Remember, Mr. Obama will have the advantage of running against Republicans the entire time, while Republicans fight amongst themselves.

This is not to say that Romney is better, and Gingrich and Santorum are not. They would all make great presidents. I am just worried about going all the way to the convention to pick our nominee. And based on history, there is a good chance we will face great defeat in November if we go this route.

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

A mixture of arrogance and dementia.

Pork-Chop on March 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Drew Lowell on March 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Fair enough. How about based on courageousness?

1) New Gingrich
2) Bill O’Reilly
3) Donald Trump

ShainS on March 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Moon Base to Houston, the Ego has landed…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

1) Newt Gingrich
2) Donald Trump
3) Bill O’Reilly

Drew Lowell on March 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I know WON, who has all three combined beat to tar as far as an “ego” goes!!!
…(hint…has big ears and still acts like a community organizer).

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Santorum Strains to Compete in a Marathon

In Illinois, where a recent Chicago Tribune/WGN-TV poll shows Mr. Santorum in a tight race ahead of the state’s March 20 GOP primary, he remains ineligible for 10 of the state’s 69 delegates because he didn’t file enough signatures in four congressional districts.

Tracking Campaign Finance
Includes data reported by campaigns through the end of February 2012.

The above link shows the different campaign donations amounts through to the end of February. This is March 16th so it has changed some.

Newt Gingrich is being shrewd if Santorum runs out of money sooner than later, he may drop out. That leaves Romney vs Gingrich.

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Nice. I heard this same theme discussed yesterday on Andy Parks’ show with guest Jeff Kuhner. Sounds reasonable – yet unlikely.

freedomfirst on March 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

freedomfirst on March 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

What about it seems unlikely?

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I hope everyone remembers Newt’s asshattery after this is all over. Don’t buy his books. Don’t watch him on television. This election is too important for “If I can’t have it, no one can” tantrums.

I don’t like any of the candidates, but as a libertarian, I will vote for whomever the GOP nominates because I realise that it is the only real option that we have to get Obama out of office. Mitt Romney is ffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr from my ideal candidate, but as he said: “If he is a weak candidate, what does that make Newt, who has only won South Carolina and Georgia?”

Read some of his quotes over the years:

Newt: If You Don’t Know Me By Now… (Mo Will Tell You Everything That I Don’t Want You To Know)

Gingrich is brilliant, but it is hard not to read what he has said over a few decades and not come away with the impression that he is as narcissistic and delusional as Obama…no offence Newt supporters…just my personal opinion.

Like I said, I don’t like any of them and Mitt is not my cup of tea, but, seriously, Newt Gingrich has NO. CHANCE. OF. BEING. THE. NOMINEE. NONE.

Resist We Much on March 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Maybe that moon-sized ego has made him delusional, but I suspect he’s bright enough to know he’s not getting it under any circumstances.

Instead, this is all about spite. If he can’t be president, by golly, no other GOPer will be…that’s all this boils down to.

changer1701 on March 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I want him to stay in.

Key West Reader on March 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Ego before country, as it has always been with Newt.

EddieC on March 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Only one still holding my interest.
Hang in there Newt!

katy the mean old lady on March 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I disagree. Obama doesn’t want to run on his record, he wants to smear the GOP opponent. But he still doesn’t know for sure who that will be. He can’t train his fire on that person. In the meantime, he wants to campaign and ends up addressing gas prices and the like in awkward and desparate ways because he doesn’t have a specific target yet. The longer the GOP primary takes, the worse for Obama.

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Nope, that’s a bridge too far.

Fallon on March 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

“You can’t handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has moons. And those moons have to be used by men with panders. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Willard McRomney? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for sanity and you curse the Gingrich. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that sanity’s death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives…You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that moon. You need me on that moon.
We use words like destiny, retrorockets, tang…we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use ‘em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fanaticism I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a space helmet and stand a post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to!”

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think that the race should continue until about June. If by June, Santorum cannot seal the deal, as the saying goes, then both he and Gingrich should step aside and let Romney become the presumptive nominee. This way, Republicans can unite and begin the general campaign. ***

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

With all due respect, I don’t see that happening. If all the primaries are contested, then either Romney will win outright or we’ll have a contested convention. There’s no reason why Santorum would fight in all 50 primaries, do well enough to deny Romney 1,144 delegates, and then step aside and let Romney win anyway.

What really needs to happen here is for GOP primary voters to take a hard look at the numbers and decide for themselves whether Santorum or Gingrich can get to 1,144. If they can’t, then they need to ask themselves if Romney is such a horrible candidate that it’s worth throwing the party into chaos with a contested convention. I think as voters go through that analysis, Santorum’s numbers will start to fade and Romney will win.

Outlander on March 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

No one, not even Bill Clinton, has a bigger ego than The One.

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

O/T

Happy St. Pancake Day!

Bill C on March 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Thread winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Then why has he been campaigning in Illinois for the past 3 days?

JPeterman on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That may be, but at least he has some reason for it, whereas Obama obviously does not.

Hang in there Newt !!

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Moon Base to Houston, the Ego has landed…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I know right, because Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul their Egos are teeny tiny minuscule. I mean they all are running for the highest office in the land and leader of, the free world. They must suffer from extreme low self esteem/

The Gingrich has a big ego meme, has got to be one of the stupidest.

Who is running for President of the United States with a little humble ego?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

The only reason he’s still in it is to spoil Romney and also because he has too much pride. He knows there is 0 chance he will ever be the nominee now.

Sammo21 on March 16, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Please, Tina, don’t encourage him.

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I want him to stay in.

Key West Reader on March 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM

me also ….

OT KWR … do they still televise city council meetings ? when I was stationed there .. it was the funniest thing on TV …..

conservative tarheel on March 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Who is running for President of the United States with a little humble ego?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

That’s a great point. But it helps to at least fake a little humility. That’s not one of Newt’s strengths.

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I understand what you are saying, that Obama won’t be able to have an effective message because he can’t run against a specific Republican nominee, but I think the mistake is a difference between tactics and strategy. President Obama, Democrats, and the media, will be focusing on narratives that the GOP will not be able to respond to as a whole because the latter is too busy trying to get their own guy in at the convention. Obama does not need to run against a Republican nominee until the election. Democrats are good at brushing broad strokes, especially against Republicans –and are historically good at it. The Democrats will be able to do this from now until election day. Republicans will not be able to respond until two months before the election.

How would two months of a general election be good enough for a Republican to convince most Americans to vote for them? I do not understand the assumption once we get a nominee, winning the election will be easy, or something. Even assuming the entire Republican Party will rally behind whoever the nominee is at the end of the convention, why should I assume the independents and moderates –who we need to convince to get us in to the White House– can be convinced in August and September to vote Republican?

I also do not want to rely on the bad economy to squeak our way in to the White House. I want to win by convincing most Americans our ideals and solutions are better than Democrats.

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Please, Tina, don’t encourage him.

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

It’s not necessary to encourage someone who doesn’t suffer from a lack of self identity. Hint: they know who they are, and they know what their goals are.

Who does Mitt Romney identify with again? NASCAR owners? Yeah that Mitt Romney he’s got a special vision for the peasants, NASCAR fans, not egotistical in the least. Let’s encourage Mitt, to make more of the same kind of statements.

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Then why has he been campaigning in Illinois for the past 3 days?

JPeterman on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Because this is America, Mr. Peterman! (I think it sounds like he’s collecting some campaign donations)

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

We love you Newt. You hang in there buddy!

astonerii on March 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Outlander on March 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

In essence, am I to understand that you agree with my overall point that a brokered convention would be a bad thing? That is my main concern.

Weebork on March 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Just how many threads are Tina, Ed and Alla going to post ridiculing Newt for staying in the race? He IS NOT GOING TO DROP OUT so deal with that.

As I said yesterday, Newt is only listening to Sarah Palin. As long as Sarah is OK with Newt staying in, Newt will stay in.

Sarah PAlin is no Romney or Santorum fan (one is a flip flopper that has no belief and the other is not a fiscal conservative)…So sh ewill keep Newt in the race for a chance of a brokered convention…

jules on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I think Gingrich may just have a bigger ego than Obama.

Shump on March 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Nope, that’s a bridge too far.

Fallon on March 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Not a chance. You can’t compare ‘a bigger ego’ to Sociopathic Narcissism.

slickwillie2001 on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I don’t know why so many people who love NASCAR think that the team owners are members of the evil 1%. I guess that most of the team owners are reliably conservative. Why is it such a crime to know them?

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Who is running for President of the United States with a little humble ego?

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

It takes a “special ego” to run for President in the first place.

I have listened to Newt Gingrich praise/compliment, the other folks in the primary race during the debates.

I think what we are all witnessing is Newt Gingrich’s real persona it’s not a put on for the public.

When Mitt Romney is allowed to be himself, he can be charming and funny, but his handlers hardly ever let that happen so he comes of robotic.

I admit, I am repulsed by Rick Santorum’s public persona, for all I know, he’s a nice man in his private life.

I think Ron Paul is calculating, and knows exactly what he’s doing.

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Apparently, according to a Gallup poll released today, Gingrich’s support would be split evenly between Romney and Santorum.(see gallup.com) In any case, as I have said so many times, Gingrich is nothing but an egotist and if he were elected to the White House we would just be trading one big egotist for another. Obama’s biggest crime is that he doesn’t care what the American peopole think. He thinks he knows better. Newt has the same problem. We don’t need these type of men or women in power. They never admit a mistake or failure. I wish this contest were over. Santorum is not yet ready for prime time and we have to go with our best, which is Romney. The sooner the general election starts, the better. If there is a contested convention, the nominee has no time to mount a serious campaign. It’s as simple and non-complicated as that.

jake22 on March 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I don’t know why Willard McRomney fans are so dense about that comment. Why can’t they see how it was a pathetic pander? NASCAR fans don’t care about the incomes or assets car owners. We do hate sorry ass attempts to endear one’s self to us though.

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM

jules on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I love Sarah, but she isn’t keeping Newt in this. If the money tap from Adelson is being turned off (as was hinted at yesterday), Newt will start losing effectiveness because he will have few ways to continue getting his message out to the broader electorate.

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Stay in the race Newt!!

Rose on March 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I don’t love NASCAR. Auto racing ruined my life. No one is saying they are the EVIL 1%, but to say that Romney is not snobby would be untrue.

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Auto racing ruined my life.

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Dare I ask?

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Please, Tina, don’t encourage him.

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

This is the comment I responded to. Mitt Romney’s NASCAR statement was an example.

There are not two standards.
If Newt Gingrich makes a statement, and the conclusion is he has a large Ego. That same standard goes for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Ron Paul.

The idea that somehow Gingrich is “other” compared to the others running in the race is nonsense. It’s a dumb meme.

Gingrich can’t be called stupid so his opposition goes down the check list. They try crazy if that doesn’t work they use egotistical.

Someone show me a politician who isn’t egotistical.

Dr Evil on March 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I am just curious what it is about Abraham Lincoln’s personal life that strikes Tina as not “particularly exemplary”.

HTL on March 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

HTL on March 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

He married Mary Todd.

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

jules on March 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Newt doesn’t listen to anyone except Newt. His profoundly huge ego doesn’t allow it.

JPeterman on March 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

HTL on March 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Good point. I missed that before.

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It’s personal with Newt. Romney did everything in his power to beat Newt and did. Newt is returning the favor. I doubt he has any illusions he’s going to walk in the convention and steal the nomination, cause that’s not happening. For Santorum as well.

rubberneck on March 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Will Newt Gingrich ever drop out, in general? No matter what happens in this election or future ones, Gingrich, driven by his ideasThe Palins, will still seek to market them. It’s an inspiring annoying thing to behold, actually.

FIFY.

Buy Danish on March 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Auto racing ruined my life.

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Dare I ask?

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

LOL- You may be sorry! When I was a kid, my father started building race cars. Not NASCAR, but late model dirt track type cars. It became an obsession. I was dragged to every race track in a three state area for most of my childhood. I’m a girl. I had to stand around in the pitts until the wee morning hours listening to men discuss cars and drink beer. My brother loved it, and every guy I ever dated thought I was really lucky to have grown up like that, but I disagree. The worst part was if he blew an engine, guess who didn’t get new clothes for school? My wedding had to be scheduled around racing season. I could go on and on, but I won’t because I’m over it now, really.

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM

No, THAT was a harmless pander.

Pathetic panders would be to tell Floridian Jews that Romney wanted to starve Holocaust survivors and to ask union members to “vote for me, because Romney was against the auto bailouts.”

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

LOl. OK. Sorry you had to suffer through your father’s obsession. :P

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Heh. Speaking of Lincoln, here’s the biggest jackass to ever occupy the W.H. in action:

By JIM KUHNHENN

The Associated Press
1:51 p.m. Friday, March 16, 2012

CHICAGO — Four days before the Illinois primary, President Barack Obama says he hopes the moderation of the Land of Lincoln will “rub off” on the Republicans running to take his job.

At a Chicago fundraiser on Friday, Obama said Lincoln understood Americans are one nation, and they rise and fall together. He said conservative GOP hopefuls would do well to follow the example of the first Republican president.

Obama also noted the barrage of attack ads the primary season has unleashed and said they’re not exactly appealing to — in Lincoln’s famous words — “the better angels of our nature.”

The Chicago donor event was the first of five Obama is headlining on a day that also includes campaign events in Atlanta.

My reaction to this is too vulgar to put into print…

Buy Danish on March 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Besides the fact you should recognize Romney’s panders are just about always pathetic, and the Gingrich and Santorum panders you are referring to might be better considered as malicious (Gingrich) and misguided/stupid (Santorum) panders, what’s your point?

“Der! Der! You be attacking my guy! I must now attack everyone else instead of admitting the obvious! Der! Der!”

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Newt can be taking a cruise somewhere and still keep his name in the ballots…He will go to the convention with his hard earned delegates no matter what enayone says.
Newt is not dropping out even if he stops campaigning for a while…

jules on March 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Stay in, Newt.

NbyNW on March 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I think that all of the candidates should be allowed to remain in the race as long as they like. The GOP base has the right to vote for whomever they choose as the nominee regardless of that individuals real viability in terms of garnering the nomination.

That being said, I was reading an article that I think is directly related to how the base feels about each candidate. The results of yet another poll have come in suggesting that the GOP base isn’t as ‘excited’ about ANY of our candidates this cycle as we were about John McCain.

I’d like to point out that this is a different nation today than it was four years ago. We’ve endured not only a deep recession that has run concurrently with a global recession, but we’ve also endure over three years of an Obama administration. Why is that important?

Because there was a colossal amount of enthusiasm surrounding the election of the ‘First Black President’ and the media sang praises of Obama loud and long. There was a distinct division of the nation over that election. The hard left felt that they had won a huge victory and weren’t shy about saying things like ‘We’re going to run the country for the next 40 years.” and “We’re going to ‘fundamentally transform this nation’”

The FACT was that a candidate had been elected to the Presidency who had almost NO experience in government at all and had virtually NO experience governing. He had very little record on which to base voting for him, other than that of a propensity to vote ‘present’ from the back bench. There were many of us in the GOP who viewed electing an unvetted candidate with no record to speak of as a massive mistake at the time and so our enthusiasm for the GOP candidate who had served in the military and had a long record of service to the nation as a Senator was naturally more enthusiastic. Yet, the nation chose to elect that relatively unknown and unvetted candidate by a wide margin. The result of that election has been a dismal performance by a man who has obviously been in over his head from the beginning and whose mistakes and adherence to a disastrous ideology has cost this nation dearly.

I think that our enthusiasm for ANY candidate would be muted after that experience. We are carefully vetting our candidates. We are reeling from the spectacle of watching those congress members who should be fighting for our nation often cut deals of expedience, choosing to try and preserve their own careers rather than serve the best interest of the nation and their constituents.

Its a mistake to believe that simply because the GOP base isn’t beating drums and throwing streamers during the primary this cycle that we won’t turn out at the polls for the general election. I believe that regardless of who our nominee is, the GOP base will turn out in November and vote for him. The alternative, which is to allow Obama another four years to drive this nation into fiscal ruin, is unthinkable. Each of our candidates is more experienced and possesses a stronger record of service to this nation than Obama did and, since serving the last three years as President, Obama cannot run on his record. He’s been an abject failure, both in terms of his domestic performance and his foreign policy and its employment. We can’t afford another four years of Obama.

thatsafactjack on March 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM

What does “Der! Der!” mean?

I didn’t attack anybody. I pointed out that Santorum and Gingrich aren’t exactly pander-less. If you hate pandering you have to hate all three of them. You are the one with the outrageously outraged exclamation marks.

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Hang in there Newt…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on March 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

+7%

Why can’t all Republicans be so rational?

NOMOBO on March 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Newt’s well financed ego trip continues.

Elizabetty on March 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Gelsomina on March 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Now we’re getting somewhere.

NotCoach on March 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yes, Newt’s campaign is inspiring. Clearly, he’s the most qualified rep candidate and the only one that stands a chance against Obama.

Newt Gingrich: The Fight Continues.

On Gas Prices, Newt Gingrich is “On the President’s Mind”

Newt responds: Obama supports Saudi drilling, not American drilling

IndeCon on March 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Newt may not have the nomination in the future, but he’ll always have Callista and her Sacred Golden Helmet. Oh, and a credit line at Tiffany’s.

jan3 on March 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Here’s what I came up with:

1) Newt Gingrich
2) Donald Trump
3) Bill O’Reilly

Drew Lowell on March 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I rank it a little differently:

1) Newt Gingrich
1) Donald Trump
1) Bill O’Reilly

rogaineguy on March 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Yep! Newt is the one that is keeping conservatism relevant in the primary.

Vince on March 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Chance of dropping out = 0% = chance of accomplishing anything constructive. This old gas bag needs to hang it up!

lhuffman34 on March 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Will Newt Gingrich Willard McRomney ever drop out, in general? No matter what happens in this election or future ones, Gingrich McRomney, driven by his ideasThe Palins pandering and liberal wonkiness, will still seek to market run for president again and again and again and again with them. It’s an inspiring annoying thing to behold, actually.

FIFY.

Buy Danish on March 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

There, fixed your fixing for you.

NOMOBO on March 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

There is an ad running from Winning Our Future during talk radio during the day, and a southern sounding woman with a baby named Molly says that “Mitt Romney, he’s not one of us.”

Is anyone else hearing this?

Well it doesn’t say what “us” is, like, Southerners, or what, maybe it is hinting that he is not an evangelical christian. Is anyone else offended by it? I am pretty sure you see, that I am not One of Us, either.

Fleuries on March 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM

This guy is like HSV.

He keeps coming back… again.
And again.
And again.
And again.

Hell, even when he’s not in the news, he keeps shedding.

A persistent painful ulcer on the genitals of the GOP primary.

(Yes. I’d say this for all the others, too.)

This is getting old, I don’t care anymore. Just waiting for the elections to vote for the ‘anti-Obama’.

Danny on March 16, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Night Owl on March 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I’m a girl, and I would have loved living your childhood! But, only if Daddy would let me drive the car…on the track…with the other cars…in an actual race.

My wedding was scheduled around football season. I loved football, but I couldn’t play. That was my life. lol

kakypat on March 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Oh, yeah…

Hang in there, Newt!

kakypat on March 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Two-thirds of Republicans want a conservative, not a moderate–why should Romney be the nominee?

This is just like McCain “winning” the nomination with 26% of the Republican vote.

The race at this point should be between Gingrich and Santorum. Romney’s the guy who should drop out.

Arms Merchant on March 16, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Gingrich, driven by his ideas, will still seek to market them.

Those same ideas made him work so hard he had an affair.

It’s an inspiring thing to behold, actually.

No it isn’t.

Persistence.

Arrogance.

rukiddingme on March 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I note that Tina never bothered to answer my question about what she finds so problematic about Abraham Lincoln’s personal life. I will suggest now that she just didn’t know what the heck she was talking about.

HTL on March 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM