Friday night news dump: Administration to move forward with and expand contraception mandate

posted at 10:30 pm on March 16, 2012 by Tina Korbe

The administration this afternoon released its “Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on preventive services policy.” Translation: President Barack Obama and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius are moving forward with their controversial contraception mandate, which requires even religiously affiliated employers to provide their employees with insurance that covers contraception — even if those employers object to contraception on religious grounds.

But don’t worry: Secretary Sebelius says your religious liberty is assured, so it is assured.

“The President’s policy respects religious liberty and makes free preventive services available to women,” she said. “Today’s announcement is the next step toward fulfilling that commitment.”

Never mind that, by drawing a distinction between actual churches and church-operated businesses like hospitals and schools, the administration effectively appropriated for itself the power to determine what constitutes ministry. Also, last I checked, there was no such thing as “free preventive services.”

Sandra Fluke should be happy, though. The administration made a final decision about whether it will require colleges to provide  students with insurance that covers contraception, as well. Take one wild guess as to what their decision was. Yep, that’s right:

Administration officials also released a final rule governing student health plans.  Under the final rule, students will gain the same consumer protections other people with individual market insurance have, like a prohibition on lifetime limits and coverage of preventive services without cost sharing.  In the same way that religious colleges and universities will not have to pay, arrange or refer for contraceptive coverage for their employees, they will not have to do so for their students who will get such coverage directly and separately from their insurer.

Note that the administration still pretends the mandate isn’t a mandate on religious employers if the insurers have to provide contraception coverage “directly and separately” to employees and students. Actually, it’s still a conscience-violating mandate, as Ed explained when the administration first announced its “accommodation”:

So these employers will still have to provide the health insurance, and the health insurance must cover the contraception and abortifacients.  The White House apparently wants to pretend that the funds for these outlays will come off of the Unobtanium Tree, where insurers find money to cover all mandates.  This exposes once again a stunning ignorance of risk pools and how costs are passed along to consumers.

Let’s just take this one step at a time.  Where do insurers get money to pay claims?  They collect premiums and co-pays from the insured group or risk pool.  No matter what the Obama administration wants to say now, the money that will cover those contraception costs will come from the religious organizations that must now by law buy that insurance and pay those premiums.  Their religious doctrines have long-standing prohibitions against participating in contraception and abortion, and nothing in this “accommodation” changes the fact that the government is now forcing them to both fund and facilitate access to products and services that offend their practice of religion.

Basically, the Obama administration told religious organizations to stop complaining and get in line.  This “accommodation” only attempts to accommodate Obama’s political standing and nothing more.

Consider also that many religious employers are self-insured and have no insurer onto whom they can push the cost of contraception insurance.

The timing of this announcement just couldn’t have been better. As The Washington Examiner’s Joel Gehrke put it, “The announcement came late Friday afternoon, on the eve of St. Patrick’s Day, as the second day of March Madness basketball games were under way.” People skip work to watch March Madness. Think they’re going to turn off the TV to dig up a dry statement from Her Consistency Kathleen Sebelius? Not likely.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Single Payer is the goal.

Bmore on March 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

You read my mind. Single payer and the whole religious conflict disappears *poof*

DoubleClutchin on March 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Well my attitude isn’t that I’m smarter than everyone here…I think you guys just know that’s true because I am pretty bright. You have to confront your own petty jealousies, I can’t do that for you.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM

…yes…we all know that if we ever need a brain transplant…we will all request yours…since there are some areas of it that have never been used. If I wanted a career in a Hospitality position…I would insist on getting Dr. Tesla’s brain and easy going personality!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

You know I do the same thing. I get so nervous when I think I lose something that it hurts. I turn into a Hot Mess.

Make sure you back up all your phone data. That way if you lose it its no biggie; or rather not as bad.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I get smarter when I drink beer. Its like magic.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

angrymike on March 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

What’s funny about you is you used to be my buddy and now you hate me. I think you are angry about some things, angry mike. I can’t help you with that.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

…do you want people to accept you as you are or do you want them to like you? I like you when your meds are mixed right…I really do! When they aren’t…you’re Larry, Moe and Curley all mixed into one person.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Did a bunch of comments just get deleted?

tom daschle concerned on March 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Wondered that myself. My last comment was on page 3. Hll no one has done anything. Yet.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I get smarter when I drink beer. Its like magic.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I get prettier.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Quit calling it Obamacare, because it is anything but…

Call it what they named it The Obama Affordable Care Act and mock them, with every chance.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

ol’ Rutherford B offers his input…..heh

ted c on March 17, 2012 at 1:14 AM

You have been a braggadocious blowhard all evening. It really is quite unflattering, but then you already know that since you are soooo bright.

hillbillyjim on March 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I can’t help you if you are an uptight person. I feel sorry for you, actually.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Some of you guys need to drink all the time. So rigid.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I bet you are really funny after a few rounds. Quit witted and stuff.

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Hey, call it State-Run-Health-Care-Rationing-With-Cheese

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

How do you do that? I have this damn i-phone and the only tricks Ive learned is using an electronic key for lockboxes. And texting.Fought that tooth and nail, but it does save time. I think pople get hooked on the little swoosh sound when it sends.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Koolaid is the Glenn Beck of Hotair. You know he’s nuts but he votes REpublican so you let it go.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

You mean the $1T $2T Obama Affordable Care Act? The one that isn’t even implemented yet and has already doubled in cost? That care act?

/Yeah, I like that as the comeback to any liberal shilling for that abomination of legislation. Passed in the dark of night, foisted on us by a jubilant and grinning Nancy Pelosi, signed by the Jugeared one himself after ol’ Uncle Joe made the comment about how it was a big f’n deal and all.

AZfederalist on March 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM

What happened to QOTD thread??..:)

PS..Is someone trying to tell us something??..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Its very easy to back it up. All you have to do is:

1. Download iTunes onto your puter. Its free.
2. Connect the usb cable that came with your iPhone to a usb jack on you puter.
3. iTunes will auto-sync, but it will do a full backup BEFORE the sync.

If you lose your phone just hook the new phone up to iTunes and presto you can restore the WHOLE DEAL.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Boomer_Sooner on March 17, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I blew right past that one…until I saw yours!…No that is not coool! I think Herkel and his DOJ pal are bigots…BUT…that is not the way to do battle…thanks for catching that! That doesn’t belong here.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

What happened to QOTD thread??..:)

PS..Is someone trying to tell us something??..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Wow. I thought the same thing. Maybe we are playing around too much I suppose. Maybe not. But I hate acting like an adult. I feel guilty about it too. And I didn’t even use any swear words either on that thread.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I can’t help you if you are an uptight person. I feel sorry for you, actually.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

You have no idea what you are talking about, Mr. Basketball. If I were any looser, I would be a puddle.

I think it’s quite hilarious what you’ve been doing all night, but still unflattering to you.

By the way, I don’t remember asking for your help, and do not require it in the least, and your faux sympathy is wasted.

If you actually believe the spew you’ve been emanating tonight, you are a worse narcissist than Obarmy.

You usually are a cogent commenter; why you’ve decided to become such a self-centered smarmy snot tonight is perplexing.

hillbillyjim on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I think that if it had only been the contraceptive issue, the Catholics would have caved; there is enough dissension among the laity and enough liberal clerics that they would have defied Rome.

AZfederalist on March 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’m not so sure the Roman Catholic bishops of Pennsylvania would agree with that. From the looks of this letter, they seem to be taking it pretty seriously and that’s even before these new developments today. I read also that both the Byzantine and Orthodox bishops and Metropolitans (I believe that is their official title) have joined with this as well.

A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Religious Liberty

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

How on earth did we come to this?
And this is only the beginning.
Imagine what happens in a second term.

I’ll be there with them in the streets.

katy on March 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Ditto.

justltl on March 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

…hey little physician…you need to heal yourself before you start calling someone else nuts.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I get prettier.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

LOL. I needed that bit of lovely humor.

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

The swoosh sound makes it fun.

Hey, I use my iPhone to buy drinks at Starbucks.

There is a Starbucks app you can download.

Then you put money on your account. Then when you go to pay you press a button and a bar code thingy show up on your phone and the register scans that and shows you your balance.

You get free points and free SOY for LIFE too. I got four free drinks (any size and any type you want) in the last two weeks.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

It’s you guys that are full of irrational hatred and obsession

angrymike and Koolaid are probably the rural Republican voters.

I am pretty bright.

You have to confront your own petty jealousies

I can’t help you if you are an uptight person

I feel sorry for you

Some of you guys need to drink all the time

So rigid.

You know he’s nuts

For being such a sooper-genius, Tesla’s rather daft at figuring out why people don’t much care for him.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

It burns me so whenever I see one of these SOBs talking about “free” stuff. It saddens me that so many Americans think that that’s just peachy. (You are truly stupid if you think any good or service is “free”, and I wish you’d leave my country.)

OT: I also can’t believe (though it’s been going on a long time) that this country can pass laws that aren’t explicit. “The secretary shall determine…” That is absolutely unacceptable in my book. (Look at the frickin’ IRS–if you call their help line twice about the same issue, you’re certain to get two different answers!) Jackasses and their jackass lawyers with their 2000 page laws!

I don’t think there’s a recovery from Odumbo.

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

LOL. I needed that bit of lovely humor.

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

She is really funny like a stand up comedian.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

And I didn’t even use any swear words either on that thread.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Which thread??..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Why no QOTD again? What is your theory?

Is Mr. AP trying to tell us something?

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Lol.
Maybe we over-stayed our welcome?

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Religious Liberty

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

It’s always hard to prove a negative, but my point was that if the administration had just targeted birth control, they might have divided the Catholic hierarchy in the US and would have limited the fallout among protestants who do not view contraception in the same way the Catholic church does. Instead, the administration included abortion-inducing drugs in the mandate. That is something that even most liberal Catholics (except for name-only Catholics like Pelosi, Biden, and their ilk) find abhorrent. Protestants likewise (except for a few very liberal groups) also find abortion abhorrent. That serves to unite almost all parties against this abominable mandate.

Thus, even the original mandate before today’s latest offense has served to do unite across denominational boundaries against this assault on freedom to exercise our faith. … and what could be more illustrative of the government prohibiting the free exercise of religion than by forcing church bodies to pay for, or pay for insurance that covers something completely against their faith?

AZfederalist on March 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I think it was the thread where MadCon and some other person were using bad words yelling at each other. Maybe it was the sl@t thread the day before yesterday. Or was it the Bill Maher (rhymes with hunt) thread?

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

2. Connect the usb cable that came with your iPhone to a usb jack on you puter.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Dude, I love that!

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:33 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I bet you are really funny after a few rounds. Quit witted and stuff.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

SP, seems like you had a few rounds :)

The good ol’ meanie is always quick witted :)

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

What if the school wants to kill a couple of bald eagles for Mass this week? Can they get a religious exemption for that?

29Victor on March 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I really respect AP and Ed. It must be difficult blogging when we are such a bunch of doofuses all the time. I think the QOTD thread is a good place to chat but the other threads should be about politics.

But what do I know anyway.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Hey, I use my iPhone to buy drinks at Starbucks.

There is a Starbucks app you can download.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I’m going to suggest that to my favorite bar.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

hillbillyjim on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

…I tried…you tried! (I do better with my cats and dogs!)

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

She is really funny like a stand up comedian.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM

That’s what makes her such a great treasure here and it is one of the reasons I loved reading these boards from day I discovered this site.

Wish I had that kind of quick wit. I really admire it. I’ll work on trying to develop it; until then, I guess I’ll have to be envious. :)

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Schadenfreude on March 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Wow. I drink to get smarter but my typing goes haywire. I didn’t even see my goof-up. Katy is quick witted and naturally funny. (:

much better.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Why no QOTD again? What is your theory?

Is Mr. AP trying to tell us something?

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Nah, he broke out the humpbot and got drunk. We’re on our own, kids.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Look, you two, I’m not going to say it again. You are not fitting the current narrative that conservatives are knuckle-dragging Flat Earth luddites. You are supposed to be saying these darn phone things are never going to catch on.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Zero’s been @ war with the Constitution since he took office.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I know what you meant, but he’s been at war against our Constitution since well before that.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I didn’t get to see the original post…wonder if that guy got the axe. If he did, I think that it’s a mistake. I think the guy didn’t know how it was spelled, and typed it phonetically as best he could.

Again, the comment is gone. Was his context racial?
(Don’t jump to conclusions.)

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words. You made my day.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

If I’m not mistaken, that’s happened before. It’s usually on a weekend day.

(Maybe AP’s getting “lucky”?)

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Was it the one that deliberately misspelled renege?

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Nah, he broke out the humpbot and got drunk. We’re on our own, kids.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I didn’t know the O’Humpbot was Irish. hehe. Maybe McFitzPundit is too and is playing with its usb Jack.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Nah, he broke out the humpbot and got drunk. We’re on our own, kids.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Good deal..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

(Maybe AP’s getting “lucky”?)

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Yep. Shamrock Lucky with a nice slender elf from the Manhattan Woodland.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

HEY !

How dare you exclude me from that.
I’m more nuts than Koolaid, dagnamit.
BTW, what is the ‘qualifying criteria’ by which you define Glenn as “nuts”?

listens2glenn on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

SnortZ! I had to be shamed into giving up my 1874 flip phone. I loved it. Even had and extra one.

It was almost 2000 before I broke down and bought a computer.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

hillbillyjim on March 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I don’t care what you think, brother. Stop whining all the time. What can I do to you? Try to be cool.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Is Mr. AP trying to tell us something?

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Sorry, SP, missed your post. Naw, he misses it from time to time. Like on debate or election open thread nights. He’s probably getting into March Madness and/or St. Patty’s festivities.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

BTW, what is the ‘qualifying criteria’ by which you define Glenn as “nuts”?

listens2glenn on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I don’t know, maybe the fact he starts crying in the middle of talking about politics. He seems like an alcoholic to me.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

….nice John!…you probably could have done 11 pages…he just doesn’t have a clue!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Where is Lanceman? Oh nevermind he is out chasing tail.

Where is Erin McTwerp from Abbeydorney?

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM

For a man who claims to be supre bright as you do, you probably shouldn’t be smoking cancer sticks. That’s stupidity on parade, and this dumb guy is trying to save your life.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I do scoff when a smoker like John The Liberterian tells me I’m stupid. Nothing tells the world you are a stupid human beiing quite like smoking. There’s no way around that one.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all.
Have to give ya this again.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Are you sure he deliberately misspelled it?

As I said, it’s gone.

I’m usually a pretty decent speller, but I make mistakes sometimes. I see some pretty awful spelling on the internet, but it’s not what matters–the ideas are what’s important. (Kinda like a static-y phone line. If you can make out the gist of what the other person’s trying to convey, it’s all good.)

If that guy got banned for spelling “renege” incorrectly…

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Ok break out the vinyl record albums and I will get my turn table.

hehe

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Yep. Shamrock Lucky with a nice slender elf from the Manhattan Woodland.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Hey!…I want an elf, too.
(Does she look like Liv Tyler in LOTR?)

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Are You wearing green??..*evil smile*

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

For a man who claims to be supre bright as you do

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You’ve got the wrong guy. I have never once referred to myself that way, because in my experience, people who make such a claim invariably aren’t.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Does she look like Liv Tyler in LOTR?)

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Liv Tyler!!!..Now that is hot!..:

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

It was almost 2000 before I broke down and bought a computer.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Don’t let them push you any faster than your ready to go. I held out on a cell phone for 3 years. And I will never get a smart phone. I see people wasting so much time at work with them. It will degrade our productivity in an astounding way.

wi farmgirl on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Opening at U2′s Red Rocks Concert. Enya.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

In my experience, somebody who smokes understanding it’s stupid as hell but does it all the same is stupid. You want to attack me brother, but you are stupidity on parade. You may want to work on quitting smoking before you start telling me how I don’t measure up to you.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

No qotd eh?

Kataklysmic on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

He seems like an alcoholic to me.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Um, he IS an alcoholic. He admits that.

cptacek on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Again, the comment is gone. Was his context racial?
(Don’t jump to conclusions

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

…well I did jump to conclusions,,,when what I thought I saw but glance by…was reminded of…so I went back to check…poof it was gone! Someone most have thought there was intent. There are people who came in, just to make this site look bad…because I think it was one of the better ones in the country,
(Michelle’s is too..but no fun)

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Are You wearing green??..*evil smile*

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Not yet. No green pjs.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

No it wasn’t Enya it was Clannad

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Why should I take somebody seriously on any topic if they smoke? They are telling you they aren’t that bright by smoking.

The liberterian Neil Boortz agrees with me on this.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

If that guy got banned for spelling “renege” incorrectly…

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Nope, it was deliberate. Apparently there is a bumper sticker with that on it. Never was clear whether the OP was advocating for it or trying to compare to an equivalently disgusting anti-Bush T-shirt and just failing at the comparison miserably. Can’t blame Ed or AP for deleting the posts though; it reflected poorly on the denizens of this blog.

AZfederalist on March 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

BTW, what is the ‘qualifying criteria’ by which you define Glenn as “nuts”?

listens2glenn
on March 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:48 AM

He is VERY much an alcoholic, and he has been up front about it since I’ve been listening to him (Sept 2003).

He has told any number of stories poking fun at himself, from back in his out-of-control days.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Clannad – Harry’s Game

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM

AZfederalist on March 17, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Yes, that is true. Wasn’t trying to disagree. I would hope that some liberal Catholics would find both the contraceptive and the abortifacient mandate reprehensable and see the issue for what it is, as you said: an attack on religious liberty. I am Catholic myself and I know several moderate-to-liberal Catholics who really … just … don’t … get … it. If they find the Church’s position on this so difficult, I often wonder why they continue to remain members. Some merely eschew their faith; others presumably go to Mass and have children who attend Catholic schools. I suppose they are oblivious to the disconnect between their “beliefs” and the Church’s and thus are able to live with themselves. I personally couldn’t be so dishonest with myself in that manner.

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM

When did I ever say I was a smoker, sooper-genius? I said life is short, light ‘em if you’ve got ‘em. Which is my way of flying in the face of the self-righteous prigs and nannies who would tell others how to live their lives.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Um, he IS an alcoholic. He admits that.

cptacek on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I thought it WAS an alcoholic. If he’s drunk while doing his radio show, that’s kind of irresopnsible to his radio station parterns and his advertisers.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

RedCrow on March 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Here is a salute to St. Paddy’s Day..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Watch out..You might get pinched..:)

Dire Straits on March 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

The funny thing is, you are always trying to control me on here. You are not a liberterian in truth, you are a control freak. It’s your choice to smoke cancer sticks, but I’m free to say it’s stupidity on parade. Not my problem if you can’t handle an easy irrefutable truth. Nothing is more stupid from a health standpoint than smoking cigarettes.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

You want to attack me brother

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I’m not your brother. And I don’t smoke. You have libeled me twice in one comment. I rarely directly insult anyone’s intelligence in the entire time I’ve been on this site, but you are a complete and utter moron.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM

wi farmgirl on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I’ve had to move with the times quickly to keep up with the competition. There is even one app that tells you what is for sale or rent when you are driving in a neighborhood. That I like!
I was managing a restaurant a few years back and it was a house rule. No cell phones on.

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Elvis was Irish. Here is proof.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

I see the HA crowd is getting restless waiting for their free Fluke stuff…

Gohawgs on March 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

John, you said the other day you smoke. I have an excellent memory, and you said life is for living so light them up if you have them.

Of course you are going to deny it now that I’m making you own your own stupidity after your constant attacks on me. Somebody that smokes doesn’t get to call other people morons without some examination of themselves. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Nothing is more stupid from a health standpoint than smoking cigarettes.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Really? Nothing?

Jumping off a cliff?
Swimming into a shark’s mouth?
Swallowing bleach?
Putting a 12-guage in your mouth and pulling the trigger?

Are you sure you want to stand by that statement, brain surgeon?

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

My eyes are at half-mast, so I bid you all goodnight and a happy St. Patrick’s day.

I’ll be back tomorrow in between errands.

Good night, all.

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Really? Nothing?

Jumping off a cliff?
Swimming into a shark’s mouth?
Swallowing bleach?
Putting a 12-guage in your mouth and pulling the trigger?

Are you sure you want to stand by that statement, brain surgeon?

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

This is an Obama type of strawman here. Who does that kind of stuff. Few people. Lot of idiots like you smoke though.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

wi farmgirl on March 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM

katy the mean old lady on March 17, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Technology is great, until it is used against you.

listens2glenn on March 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Good nite PatriotGal.

SparkPlug on March 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

John the LIberterian, always trying to control speech on the internet. But I’m supposed to be his best pal and not ridicule hi stupid habits.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM

You’re right. I said that. And I don’t smoke.

But I can smell the smoke coming from your ears as you try to grasp this.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

PatriotGal2257 on March 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Looks like we are in violent agreement then.

I think in the case of some liberals, it is liberalism that is first and foremost. If their faith disagrees with the liberal statist dogma, then it is their faith that must give ground. That’s why it appears to you that they don’t get it. They are worshiping Leviathan and not God.

AZfederalist on March 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

You’re right. I said that. And I don’t smoke.

But I can smell the smoke coming from your ears as you try to grasp this.

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Ok, so you say light them up if you have them but you don’t smoke. You are so smarmy, guy.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Are you sure you want to stand by that statement, brain surgeon?

John the Libertarian on March 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM

You could spill some virtual krazy glue on his fingers. That’s the only way to stop him.
Im done. Night allZ!