America rejoices: Lehigh 75, Duke 70; Update: Video added

posted at 9:56 pm on March 16, 2012 by Allahpundit

We don’t usually post on the tourney but we do usually post when an evil tyrant is deposed. Evil tyrant status: Deposed.

It was touch and go down the stretch, to the point where I had a “Duke-hating blogger has heart ripped out of chest” headline all ready to go for when some Dukie inevitably hit a game-winning three at the buzzer. Two 15 seeds over 2 seeds in the same day was too much to ask, especially when one of them was the Durham Death Star. But Lehigh Skywalker blew it up. Dude, they blew it up.

I’ll post video highlights when they’re available. While we wait, you can watch the recap of Norfolk State knocking off Missouri (how did they let Pressey get off that good of a shot at the end?). As for me, I’m ready to unleash the ‘bot.

Update: ESPN had 6.45 million brackets submitted this year. As of 20 minutes ago, with the first round not quite yet over, not a single one was still perfect.

Update: As promised, the Lehigh/Duke highlights. Biggest first-round upset in tourney history.

Robot libido by sabotage

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM

well, let’s see MSU beat OhhowIhate 2 of 3 times, FSU head to head and had the toughest schedule in the country. And NOBODY circles the wagons in the tournament like MSU. Are you sure you follow basketball?

8 weight on March 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM

But you are a guy – I thought you were supposed to “know” sports.

gophergirl on March 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

I havent’ watched college bball at all this year. Just never heard of MSU even being considered for #1 seed yet they get one. Find that a little strange but like I said, Izzo has something on the selection committee people, b/c he always gets a higher seed than his team has earned. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

HEHHEHEH! ze humpbot for a Duke fail…..

I’m sure kids are jumping off bridges in Durham.

hang in there blue devils, it’ll be alright.

ted c on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

…may not need a prayer JP …watched that game…depends on how they match up…but they aren’t there because of politics.

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Amen to that. Murray State gets there the old fashioned way, they earn it.

JPeterman on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Toughest schedule in the country is generally an excuse for losing a lot of games. MSU’s excuse got them a #1 seed, sounds like it.

No way they are better than Syracuse, Kansas, Ohio State, even FSU.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

As an ACC, I think Duke is the root of all evil. They are thugs, their fans are obnoxious, and their cheerleaders look like soccer moms even they are only 20.

Deafdog on March 16, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Endorsed.

DavidW on March 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

LOL

What’s interesting to me is that Christian Laettner defeated UCONN in 1990 in much the same way that he defeated UK in 1992.. with a buzzer-beater shot with 2.something seconds on the clock, to win a spot in the Final Four, but the UCONN fans don’t seem as fixated on that as the UK fans are.

ITguy on March 16, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You have to understand the circumstances.

Kentucky had been broken by the worst probation ever handed down by the NCAA in basketball. We were never supposed to be on the elite level ever again. This was the first year we were eligible for the postseason.

We had players that weren’t supposed to be good enough to play on a SEC basketball team, much less Kentucky, which had won 5 championships at the time, last one in 1978.

3 players, FROM Kentucky stuck around through the darkest days, Richie Farmer (who was a Republican candidate for Lt Governor last year) Deron Feldhaus, and John Pelphrey were joined by Indiana native Sean Woods (who hit the impossible shot BEFORE Laettener to give Kentucky the lead) and the one blue chip superstar, Jamal Mashburn, to make one of the most improbable runs in NCAA history.

We gave Dook everything we had. And they had to play the best game THEY ever played to beat us.

What pisses us off is Laettener never should have BEEN in the game to make that shot, he STOMPED one of our guys and wasn’t thrown out of the game.

The championship in 1992 was decided on that day.

Next year, Kentucky made the final 4 and lost to the Chris Webber Fab 5 Michigan team.

Those players, Famer, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Woods, Mashburn, are and will forever be beloved by Kentucky fans (and their jerseys were retired in Rupp Arena shortly after that game, btw, an unprecedented honor) because if not for THEIR hard work and willpower, the 1996 and 1998 championships never would have happened. Nor would this 2012 #1 ranked team exist.

wildcat72 on March 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Every CBS intro for tournament highlights the Laettner shot – the shot to beat UCONN is not shown. 50 years from now CBS will still play it.
Easy to forget about something that is not brought back from the archives every season afterwards.

Bradky on March 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Ok, that makes sense.

ITguy on March 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM

It’s not me who’s making the claim. MSU played literally the toughest schedule in the country.

Washington Nearsider on March 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Indeed. They played Lehigh this year. Had a tough time of it too.

forest on March 16, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I think Izzo is the Frank Beamer of college bball, he gets a lot of free publicity from the ESPN guys.

You’d think Beamer invented good plays on special teams if you watch ESPN gushing over the man. VA tech didn’t deserve a BCS game this year yet they got one, b/c of the coach being loved so much by ESPN. I think Izzo gets the same kind of love. There’s always this “blue collar” crap about Va Tech football teams and MSU’s basketball teams.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Is Leheigh an Ivy League School? The name sounds like one. Sort of elitist.

Engineering programs at Ivy League schools suck.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I can’t speak to LeHigh’s basketball team, but my company had a regional office in the LeHigh Valley and I always loved going up there. It was a wonderful break from the Houston cesspool because it had a great small town feel and was just beautiful. I’m glad to see this win for them.

As a side note, I still have PTSD from the stunning 1982 loss of U of H duirng the Phi Slamma Jama heyday against North Carolina.

TxAnn56 on March 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

BTW, we DID get our revenge on Dook in 1998:

This game was JUST AS GOOD as 1992 except the good guys won :)

wildcat72 on March 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

gophergirl on March 16, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Fluke wins. OSU has more talent. I’m a guy, I know some things about sports. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM

…if Draymond Green was Big Ten Gey Player of the year…the Dr. could spell his name backward, and if they ranked nationally in sodomy, as they do defense…well?

KOOLAID2 on March 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM

If you major in engineering at an Ivy League school, you’ll be getting taught about gay rights and gender studies in your Thermodynamics 2 course by a Sandra Fluke type who minored in engineering and majored in Gender Studies.

Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Koolaid, do you ever know what you are talking about? You are like the Glenn Beck of this website.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

wildcat72 on March 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Thanks for sharing that. It’s always helpful to hear the other side’s perspective. I can understand your feelings towards that team.

If it’s any consolation, 1 of my 2 brackets this year has Kentucky winning it all. My other bracket is shot to hell, and I bet you can guess why ;-)

ITguy on March 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Is Leheigh an Ivy League School? The name sounds like one. Sort of elitist.

Engineering programs at Ivy League schools suck.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Nah, it’s not Ivy League. It’s named after a river that drains the anthracite coal mining area of PA. It’s an Indian name. The campus is kinda swanky though.

forest on March 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Well you can’t be Ivy League if you are in PA? That’s kind of a redneck state if you think about it.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

But then again the armpit of America, NJ, has Princeton. So there’s that.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

So Allahpundit hates college teams with white players?

What did they ever do to you?

Dack Thrombosis on March 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM

What’s amazing is so many conservatives look at Chris Christie and see an intelligent man. I see a buffoon. That NJ thing isn’t going to sell outside of NJ. Give me Romney over that guy, RomneyCare and all. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM

That is why a lot of people hate Duke, Coach K does win with a lot of white players compared to most other colleges.

That was at the heart of the whole Jalen Rose thing.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM

ITguy on March 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Another fact I forgot to mention, that game was the LAST ever broadcast by legendary Kentucky play by play man Cawood Ledford… Who had been our voice for 39 years:

wildcat72 on March 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Izzo has a championship, 5 or 6 final fours and he runs a clean program. He is an elite coach, no doubt. For my money, he’s the best.

Beamer’s most famus alum is Micheal Vick.

Deafdog on March 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I never good lionize a play by play guy. Even if I liked him.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I still don’t get the idiotic nickname change though. What the hell is a “Mountain Hawk”. “Engineers” was way better.

forest on March 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Believe me when I say you’re not the only one.Lehigh is nestled in the hills of the South Mountains in Bethlehem, PA. The Mountain Hawk is indigenous to the area although it’s “just a Hawk”.
The logic of the Mountain Hawk moniker was thus three-fold according to a friend of My Moms who was also Sports Information Director at Lehigh said it was a way to get away from the “Engineering” theme because Lehigh had branched out into other areas of scholarship. The third problem was the mascot. Generally speaking, people tend to look to animals with predatory characteristics as mascots.Somehow,it’s difficult to make a Nerd with a slide rule hanging on his belt look threatening enough to be inspirational, even if covered in flocking and scowling as if Pi had suddenly become a different number.

No one who matriculated there ever understood the change. Teams prior to the name change in 1995 are referred to as Engineers.After, Mountan Hawks.

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Well, I think Beamer has had some teams as good as the Vick teams, it was pretty much all Vick when he was there.

Izzo’s alright I guess, but the “blue collar” platitudes about his program is cheesy.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Is Bethehem Pa near Allentown PA? Allentown has my vote for ugliest town in America.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Penn is the only Ivy League school in Pennsylvania. Lehigh gave us the great Lee Iacocca. And now, they many people their March highlight in disposing of Duke.

lonestar1 on March 17, 2012 at 12:10 AM

When your basketball program is described as blue collar, it means the kids can’t shoot the ball at all but they are super athletic. I hate those kind of teams.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I guess, nobody will remember Leheigh a week from now, and Duke will be loaded next year. I’d rather be Duke than Leheigh from a bball standpoint. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

….well dumb dumb…we all are seeing here how much you know basketball…you know more than all the sportscasters in the country because they are wearing knee pads for Tom Izzo.

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I personally be embarrassed to play in front of a large crowd if I was as bad a shooter as your average colllege bball player. Do they ever practice shooting the ball? I can not play bball for a year and go up to the gym and light it up. These kids are playing every day and can’t hit open shots.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I’m just saying ESPN loves a Tom Izzo. Don’t give me Dick Vitale. he gushes over every dang team in the country at some point.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:58 PM

…says Larry, Moe & Curly!

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Koolaid, you were 70 when the Three Stooges was on tv.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

You want to know why college bbbal doesn’t move the 3 point line back to where it should be, the NBA 3 point line? Because that would guarantee Duke wins a title every year. They always have the 3 ballers. The kid 3 point line is the only way a school like Leheigh can beat Duke.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Bethlehem is right next to Allentown. Lehigh’s campus is beautiful, even if the city isn’t.

Xavier wins! Lehigh will beat them.

rockmom on March 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:14 AM

…in your other life you’re a player coach for the LA Lakers, don’t run around the country for an engineering job,,,and now are the CEO of the engineering firm that has turned pond algae into a successful motor fuel that got JugEars re-elected,

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I picked Xavier to win. I pretty much got everything right except Duke, and I had UCOnn over Iowa state.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Jugears isn’t witty, Koolaid.

Leave the comedy to the funny people. Know your limitations. We all have them. Some less than others.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Koolaid, you were 70 when the Three Stooges was on tv.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Ha Ha…was that engineering humor comeback?

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:26 AM

My company will probably ship me to a town like Allentown, b/c God hates me.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:27 AM

The good thing about living in PA is it’s much cheaper than Maryland. The bad thing is it’s PA.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

KOOLAID2 on March 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Outside of Kobe, I’m a better shooter than anybody on the Lakers current roster. Just not tall enough or athletic enough to play at that level.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I prefer the raper robots of Flesh Gordon.

lexhamfox on March 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Dr. Tesla

ITT: Duke homer with busted brackets cries because his team dropped to a 15 seed.

And the Big Ten was the best conference in the country this year. Look at the year-end top 25. You’ve got 2 SEC teams, 3 ACC teams, 4 big east, 4 Big 12 teams (though Missouri’s gone now) and 5 Big Ten teams.

Missouri’s gone, Memphis is gone. OSU is way better than Syracuse without Fab – the FSU game is the real test for them before the final 4. There’s a pretty good chance we’ll see 2/4 Final Four teams from the Big Ten, and indiana has an outsideshot at KY which could push it to 3.

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM

I’m not a “Duke homer”. I don’t get all excited b/c a lower seeded team upsets Duke. Any team can win a game against another team, that’s why the NBA does a series in the playoffs. Nobody thinks Leheigh is better than Duke. I’d rather see Duke play a better team later in the tournament than Leheigh. Upsets this early in the tournament make the rest of it suck b/c Leheigh probably isn’t goign to win another game.

I want to see the better teams play.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Hoo hoo hoo HOOOSIERS! :-)

catwrangler on March 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

As a Purdue fan, I can only say:
Who who who WHOS YOUR DADDY!!

Bitter Clinger on March 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM

HA! Boiler Up! :-)

catwrangler on March 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I actually laughed at this, out loud. You just discredited anything you have to say. Were you one of those kids who got trophies for participation growing up or something? At least you’ve got brass balls.

I bet you couldn’t beat Metta World Peace.

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Technically a team seeded 68th could win the tournament. Would that make them the best team in college basketball? Nope..that’s why the tournament is a farce. It doesn’t reward regular season records by letting all these sorry teams in with no pressure on them and they just bomb 3′s and sometimes you get lucky doing that. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:02 AM

bet you couldn’t beat Metta World Peace.

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM

You think Ron Artest is a good shooter? That guy is the biggest chukker in the league. He’s just throwing it up and praying it goes in.

He’s a great defensive player but he can’t shoot.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I want to see the better teams play.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

When the team you like wins, it was because they’re better. When they lose it’s just a fluke. You know, they were saying the same things about VCU last year.

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

He’s a great defensive player but he can’t shoot.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM

No, I know he’s a crap shooter, that’s the point :D

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Why do some people think it’ simpossible for some guy not in the NBA to be a better shooter than a NBA player?

The NBA requires you be pretty tall and extremely athletic. That has nothing to do with shooting skill. There are little kids who are better shooters than many of the guy sin the NBA.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I think VCU was a fluke, and still think that. It’s hard to take a 68 team tournament seriously. It’s people who don’t watch basketball regularly that like this, but I’d preferr the top 16 teams playing a series, at least best out of 3. It would be much better games and you’d probably end up with the best team winning it all.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

It’s the hap-happiest season of all!
!!!!!!!!GO HOOSIERS!!!!!!

hoosierma on March 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM

“It’s Indiana!” —Coach Tom Crean

We’re back!!!!! :-)

catwrangler on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Apparently Dr. Tesla lives in his mother’s basement and has never been laid! What a gutless loser.

bfinstock79 on March 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

You put VCU in a real conference, and they don’t make the tournament this year.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:10 AM

bfinstock79 on March 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

For all you witch hunters, this is what you call a troll. None of you will call him on it though b/c you don’t mind trolling.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Right now a team with a losing record can get an automatic bid to the tournament if they win their sorry conference’s tournament. To me, that’s a joke. The regular season is almost irrelevant in college basketball.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Wow, no 15 seed has ever won a second round game. Maybe Lehigh and Norfolk State will do it.

rockmom on March 17, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Fair enough. Where’d you play college ball then? Because “being a good shooter” means a lot more than being able to do well at horse or a 3-point contest. I played high school ball, once in practice I made 500 free throws in a row, and I could tear it up from the top of the key with no hands in my face, but I’m under no impression that I was a good shooter – quite the opposite, I’m a tall guy with a football build and if I got farther away from the basket than the elbow the coach would yell at me. An actual good shooter can get open, hit shots on the move and under pressure. If you’re really a better shooter than everyone on the Lakers but Kobe you must have at least played D1 ball somewhere.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I understand your point, but IMO the NCAA tournament is the best sporting event in the world, simply because of the one-and-done nature. It makes everything more exciting, it lets the little guy do big things, and it really helps create that much-vaunted Parity thing we hear so much about. While it may not be the most scientifically accurate way to get a national champ, I like it WAY better than some sort of English Premier League relegation type system, which is more or less what a 16-team tourney would do.

Quantus on March 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Everyone here likes and respects each other Dr. T….except you, with all the insults. Pull down your murphy bed, kiss the hamster good night and leave the adults to play here. Sounds like you have jump shots to practice in the morning for the Lakers audition. Sorry, tryout. You’re not a cheerleader i forgot :)

bfinstock79 on March 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM

bfinstock, who do I insult? I think it’s you guys who like to insult and then play the victim.

What do you think about that? I saw you are a Leheigh fan, but it’s not personal when I say they aren’t better than Duke. It’s sports. People have opinions.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I guess, I think it turns the game into a circus rather than a competition. There is a reason why they do a series in most sports. Takes out the every dog has as lucky day factor. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

That’s a total falsehood that a good shooter has to be able to create his own shots. You are basically saying Regggie Miller wasn’t a good shooter even though he was probably much better than Michael Jordan.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Basketball is a team sport, part of that is helping your teammates get good shots. Not every good shooter is going to have Michael Jordan type of athleticism.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Frank Haith in flames = Karma

rickyricardo on March 17, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Wait, you hate both The Walking Dead AND Duke, AP?

Commie, full effect! ; )

robertlbryant on March 17, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I don’t think anybody is every going to accuse you of being a commie or RINO for not liking Duke, a very liberal college. It’s actually kind of populist to hate Duke.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Basketball single-elimination tournaments are the tradition below the pro level, and their popularity proves they are doing something right.

I’m a big Bob Knight fan, and that means also Coach K who plays close to the same game, but you should never disrespect Izzo. The guy is perhaps the best game coach of all time. If my life depended on a scoring play out of a timeout, he’s the guy I would want drawing it up.

Several of his tournament successes came with teams less heralded. Izzo knows how to coach a tournament in practice and on the floor.

Adjoran on March 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Eh, I think Izzo purposely scheduled UNC and Duke early this year, knowing his team would lose both games but it would ultimately help his team get a higher seeding b/c that’s considered playing a tough out of conference schedule. MSU got a #1 seed b/c they just played DUke and UNC. You’d think the ACC could get more than 5 teams in if that’s how they are going to do the seeding.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Turns out that would be inaccurate from a statistical standpoint. As an example,even in a 162 game baseball season the division winners are not necessarily the best teams based on the number of games played. Most teams develop their own luck by putting themselves in a position to win. And in the 64 game tourney at least a third of the information (sports writers picks based on polls) is flawed enough to allow for “exceptions” like last night to occur.

As George Perles ( former Michigan State football coach) once said : “You can lose with good players, but you can’t win without them.”

Several teams found that out the hard way last night.

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM

While John Wooden is no longer with us unfortunately, he was THE best basketball coach EVER. Hands down.No contest. Izzo has ONE National championship under his belt.A fine coach to be sure. Not the best however. I’d pick Coach K over Izzo any day for his attitude toward team preparation. And don’t forget Gentleman Dean Smith. Right there with Wooden.

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Not every good shooter is going to have Michael Jordan type of athleticism.

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM

By definition a good shooter HAS to be athletic.

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2012 at 8:01 AM

No way they are better than Syracuse, Kansas, Ohio State, even FSU.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Despite the fact that they crushed FSU and took 2 of 3 from Ohio St including the Big Ten Championship. Also they are the 4th ranked team in the country.

But facts be damned.

Spliff Menendez on March 17, 2012 at 9:19 AM

No way they are better than Syracuse, Kansas, Ohio State, even FSU.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Echoing Spliff, they just beat Ohio State in the B10 tournament, in addition to winning the regular season title. I’m interested to hear the argument that would give OSU a 1 seed and MSU a 2.

BadgerHawk on March 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Very happy for Lehigh, out of the Patriot League. John Feinstein’s book about the Patriot League, “The Last Amateurs,” is a really good read.

Go Marquette, by the way. And Bucky Badger for that matter.

Mr. D on March 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM

As a Lehigh ’76 grad, I am ecstatic.

J_Crater on March 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I don’t normally follow basketball or fill out brackets but even I know a Earth shattering event in sports like this when I see it.

Yakko77 on March 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM

No way they are better than Syracuse, Kansas, Ohio State, even FSU.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Duke was heard quoting a similar line prior to last nights result. Rollie Massamino and Villanova couldn’t do it in ’85 either (tongue in cheek). I’m not saying Lehigh will. The one team that could do some more bracker busting is Norfolk. K. O’Quinn is an immovable force.

DevilsPrinciple on March 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Wolfpack grad and fan here and yeah, Dook sucks. They finally had to play real basketball with non-ACC refs. For 16 conference games they flail and flop and whine and get away with murder. (See State game this year in Cameron where our starters had 18 fouls called, their starters had 8…..and the refs single-handedly eroded our 17 point lead with 11 minutes to go).

Swofford looked like his lunch was about to come up last night after the Dook loss. All that blew ref engineering that goes on during conference play goes out the window come March. Face it, the only people who gives a rat’s behind about the Dook/Hole game are Dook fans, Wal-Mart Hole fans, and ESPN. CBS only wants March Madness.

So…..

Suck it Dook.
Suck it Holes.
Suck it ESPN.

And oh yeah….. GO PACK!

TheAdmiral on March 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The heard that they had a mini-riot on the Lehigh campus, with a bit of streaking, following the wind over Duke last night.

J_Crater on March 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Suck it Dook.
Suck it Holes.
Suck it ESPN.

And oh yeah….. GO PACK!

TheAdmiral on March 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Everone is a Packers fan! Even during BB season! /sarc

BTW – There is a great audio clip “Go-pack-go!” the GBP play to rally the crowd that I guess could be used for the Wolfpack too.

Green_Bay_Packers on March 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Basketball finals. I love them because it means that the season is over and it’s time to focus on baseball.

multiuseless on March 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I HATE DUKE! YEAH!

losarkos on March 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

HA! HA!!

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Someone please call Dr. T a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance!!!!

ladyingray on March 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I havent’ watched college bball at all this year.

Dr. Tesla on March 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Good grief man, stop digging.

Earlier you said there was no way MSU deserved a 1 seed, now you’re saying you haven’t even seen them play. Stop beclowining yourself.

BadgerHawk on March 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Duke has been weak this year, for you Duke haters, remember we beat the tarpoots after they had lead the ENTIRE game.

Ha ha! We’ll be back.

You know what UNC grads call Duke grads right?

BOSS.

Kempermanx on March 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Adjoran on March 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Agree. Wooden was the all time greatest, but Knight was almost as good (and mentored coach K). Tom Crean at IU now is an Izzo guy (who coached Dwayne Wade at Marquette). You can tell good coaches who know how to build solid and disciplined teams.

And Dr Tesla– stop. 90% of first grade girls in the state of Indiana know more about hoops than you do. It’s embarrassing.

hoosierma on March 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

NO doubt Knight is right there.(with three NCAA Championships) His revival of a moribund Texas Tech program is proof of that. Most forget that he was very successful with Army’s team as well, with a record of 102~50.

DevilsPrinciple on March 18, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Dr. Tesla on March 17, 2012 at 1:13 AM

If you’d ever played a sport, which you obviously haven’t, you’d understand that the regular season is just a vehicle to get into championship or in this case tournament play. Most teams and coaches I know play to win, win their conferences and not listen to the maniacal rantings of some nappy headed basketball wannabe cum troll, like you.

DevilsPrinciple on March 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM