Hope it wasn’t worth it: Obama campaign paid $20,300 a minute for documentary

posted at 1:55 pm on March 15, 2012 by Tina Korbe

The Obama campaign paid at least $345,000 to commission the official Obama documentary, “The Road We’ve Traveled.” That amounts to about $20,300 for each minute of the movie. What’s crazy: Documentary director Davis Guggenheim gave Obama a reduced rate. The privilege to direct such an important work was compensation enough for him!

The Daily Caller explains that the dollar details are still a little fuzzy:

It is likely that there are additional costs associated with the documentary, such as advertising and promotional expenses, but Obama for America … would not comment on that possibility.

[Obama campaign deputy press secretary Katie] Hogan did tell the Daily Caller on Wednesday that Guggenheim had approached the Obama campaign and asked if there was anything he could do to help with President Obama’s reelection bid.

Hogan also wouldn’t say whether payments to Tom Hanks, who narrated the film, were included in the media production costs disclosed to the FEC. Messages left with the agency representing Hanks — Creative Artists Agency in Los Angeles — were not immediately returned. …

The Obama campaign’s FEC filings raised additional questions, however, since the address listed on the campaign finance disclosures for “Guggenheim Short Film” is actually the home of Guggenheim Productions, Inc. — owned and operated by Guggenheim’s sister, Grace.

Grace Guggenheim told The Daily Caller on Wednesday that Obama for America wrongfully sent her company a “Form 1099″ tax declaration in connection with the payments to her brother. She said her own production company did not receive payments and were not involved in any aspect of the Obama documentary.

The film debuts tonight on BarackObama.com — and I’m sure you’re all just holding your breath in anticipation. Seriously, does over-the-top propaganda like this really work on anybody? As wary as I am of the Obama campaign’s seemingly savvy attack ads, I’m amused by efforts like this one. Human beings are wired to believe the worst, so attack ads often work. We’re ultra-attuned to potential threats, and, while we might occasionally be susceptible to hero-worship, we’re generally skeptical that anyone is perfect. Obama’s aura of perfection dissipated ages ago, as his low approval ratings prove.

Guggenheim’s admission that he couldn’t find anything negative to put in the documentary is nothing but fodder for fun-making — and, in fact, the Republican National Committee responded to the documentary with this mock movie poster that riffs Guggenheim’s outrageous praise of Obama:

Ah yes, it is good to be Obama, isn’t it?

Comments

Hey, isn’t this turkey supposed to be released today? Let’s warm up the video editing software…

S. Weasel on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Nice picture. I would have guessed that was the official promotion.

CorporatePiggy on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

350 grand? That’s a f**king pittance compared to what some short films and documentaries cost.

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

That guy looks constipated.

darwin on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

My cable provider just raised my bill by $3.00 a month but they added four more Spanish language channels as well as the BarackO channel.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I saw an advanced screening of this film on the history channel last night, though it had an alternate title: “Triumph of the Will”.

Bishop on March 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

“Seriously, does over-the-top propaganda like this really work on anybody?”

Just us members of the Flat Earth Society…

Seven Percent Solution on March 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Let’s see what Hanks claims on his tax returns as charitable contributions (i.e. pro bono narration).

freedomfirst on March 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Worth every penny./ Did Allah do the photoshop on the poster?

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

“Same Game”

DanMan on March 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Might be time to dump them too.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What’s crazy: Documentary director Davis Guggenheim gave Obama a reduced rate.

From the original HA link.

Piers Morgan: How much did it cost, and who paid?

Davis Guggenheim: Well, I’ll let the campaign tell you that. I, you know, I took a pay cut to make this. But, you know, the — again, I make movies –

Piers Morgan: I’m surprised you weren’t paying him, by the sound of it. For the sheer honor and joy.

LOL

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Nice picture. I would have guessed that was the official promotion.

CorporatePiggy on March 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Thought those limp wrists looked familiar: You Can Keep Your Doctor

slickwillie2001 on March 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

The $6 trillion dollar deficit road that we have traveled to get 1.8% GDP growth and real unemployment to 11%.

Yeah GO TEAM 0bama!

jukin3 on March 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

That’s a lot of money. But imagine the outrage if Hollywood would have given their time and talent for FREE! The vitriol here would have sunk Guam.

BedBug on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Is that a picture of Richard Lewis? I can go for a Boku right about now.

OliverB on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Well at least there will be two here in our home that will not be watching bho! I don’t watch or listen this slug, and not about to on this flim! I hope those watching will be in the 2K?
L

letget on March 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

That guy looks constipated.

darwin on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Yeah!…but he just shat that documentary!

KOOLAID2 on March 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

The privilege to direct such an important work was compensation enough for him!

If the privilege has a discounted dollar amount, is it a political contritubion in kind?

MessesWithTexas on March 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM

That guy looks constipated.

darwin on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Every now and then somebody drops a nugget that nails it…

DanMan on March 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Barry Hussein Soetoro should waste money on making as many of these Praise Dear Leader flicks as there were Police Academy movies. I’d rather he waste money on his narcissism than on ads…

wildcat72 on March 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

the poster is #win.

ted c on March 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Like The Undefeated, I don’t see this working on very many people who aren’t already fans. And yeah, if those numbers are right, then Team Obama did receive a good discount. Blech.

McDuck on March 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

This is actually a scene from the movie where The Won orders a drone strike on the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Excerpt from the script:

The Won: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ Republican body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like
[sniffing, pondering]
The Won: victory. Someday this war’s gonna end…

CorporatePiggy on March 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Before the 2008 election, Dish Network would change my channel during the night to the official Obama campaign channel so that was the first thing I saw when I turned on the television. That happened about 6 times.

txsurveyor on March 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

That should be “The Road We’ve Trampled”.

Dexter_Alarius on March 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

this guy doesn’t realize that he crashed his Volt during his victory lap…..

ted c on March 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Does anyone besides me think it will hurt more than help?

landshark on March 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM

You’d think liberal filmmakers would be lining up to make fawning “documentaries” (read: hagiographies) of Obama at a discount, considering how they love him.

Or do you think that maybe they like getting paid what they think they’re worth for the work they do? Perish the thought!

TouchingTophet on March 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM

And by “Obama campaign paid $20,300 a minute” you actually mean “The U.S. taxpayer paid $20,300 a minute.”

BKennedy on March 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM

The Road in which We Traveled,and the Stuck in the Ditch
Not Excellent Adventure!!

canopfor on March 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM

txsurveyor on March 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sirius has a channel called POTUS, which is basically the “All Dear Leader, ALL THE TIME” channel, and it’s been running since 2008. It’s not officially the Obama channel, but it basically is, they never have conservatives on there, they are the usual MSM talking heads. Sometimes they will run a Republican speech but you hear Obama read the teleprompter there most of the time.

I guess satellite radio receivers can’t be forced to start on a certain channel.

wildcat72 on March 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Considering all the orgasms Guggenheim had over Obama, getting paid for it sounds like prostitution. (Uh oh, did I just call him a slut?)

Bitter Clinger on March 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Maybe it’s a sneak peek at his per minute speaker rate after he leaves office.

Christien on March 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Wow, they paid that much to spew the same old recycled Obama spew the slimestreamers have been spewing for 4 years now? They got fleeced–again. I think we should all bombard the BarackObama.com website tonight and make it crash.

stukinIL4now on March 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Does the film talk about how 3 Somali Pirates Osama Bin Laden Moammar Qaddafi 200 Mexicans, US Agents Brian Terry and Jaime Zapata ended up dead??

ted c on March 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Reuters and AP have polled test audiences. They love the film:

98% Say they are more likely to worship Obama, 1.5% only admire him more. The other .5% could not be reached for comment.

Demographic and party affiliation information is not available.

mankai on March 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

stukinIL4now on March 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Indeed. The nightly news has the same “info”.

Bitter Clinger on March 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM

This is craptastic. Love the poster will not be watching the vid. PBHO gives me the heaves.

dmn1972 on March 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM

wildcat72 on March 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Tim Farley does an okay job in the morning with the Morning Briefing. He plays it down the middle and has Republicans on every day. I’m pretty sure he is a lefty though – he seems to drool over everything Dana Milbank writes.

Stand Up with Pete Dominick is a joke. He is always in disbelief that anybody would disagree with Obama on anything but then calls himself a moderate.

Fezzik on March 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Fezzik on March 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I haven’t been listening for very long though. I had to resort to listening to them ever since they put that Mike Church guy on the Patriot station…I can’t stand that guy.

Fezzik on March 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

txsurveyor on March 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Man, I was just kidding about the BarackO channel and now you guys tell me there is such a thing. I need to start watching and get my mind right.

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Hope it wasn’t worth it: Obama campaign paid $20,300 a minute for documentary
==================

Ahem,talk about Political Sl*tting,er,Presstitution!!
(snark)

canopfor on March 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

BedBug on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

There used to be some kind of law regarding “in kind” contributions, but I’m pretty sure that only applies to everyone but Obama anyway. The democrats fear Guam will tip over, not sink.

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’m happy to see them waste campaign dollars on this tripe. I suspect if they had a way to measure the cost per voter swayed, it would be in the neighborhood of $345,000 each.

Dee2008 on March 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

O/T,

@CNBCbrk tweeted:
*******************

White House: Report on release of emergency oil is not true.

Submitted 2 hours ago from twitter.com/CNBCbrk
============================

canopfor on March 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The Obama campaign paid at least $345,000 to commission the official Obama documentary, “The Road We’ve Traveled.

They paid $345,000 too much.

Kingfisher on March 15, 2012 at 2:36 PM

O/T: Rush Limbaugh is on Twitter now, well later today, he just said.

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

What’s that weird green aura around that guy’s hair? And does it smell like patchouli?

3.14159 on March 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The film debuts tonight on BarackObama.com

Gee, I’d love to watch but I’ll be spending my time filling out some of the 45 required forms for my annual income taxes as required by federal law.

Darn, if taxes weren’t so damn complicated, I’d have the time to watch. Oh well, at least the GE executives will have plenty of time on their hands.

Kingfisher on March 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Nice poster.

One recommendation: It should include a snapshot of the “Obama flag” that was reported on HA yesterday.

Kingfisher on March 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM

“Seriously, does over-the-top propaganda like this really work on anybody?”

Just us members of the Flat Earth Society…

Seven Percent Solution on March 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM

According to Rasmussen, 47% of our esteemed American collegues believe this runny B.S., with 26% strongly believing it. We truly live in a Unicorn’s Fantasy Land, where the skittle-poopers run the asylum, and half the people just love to gobble those skittles up. But maybe it’s that we all just died and went to heaven, and Obozo really is God. Ya’ think?

NOMOBO on March 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Is that a picture of Richard Lewis?

OliverB on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think Davis is gonna end up looking like Woody Allen. This may be his apex.

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Doesn’t the MSM do this for him everyday for free? It’s like spending money on another Lamborghini after someone gave you a whole lot full. Seems silly at best, but the slobbering Obama followers actually love to feed his narcissism, I think. Validating his view of himself just validates their worship of him. Win-win. Puke.

BillyWilly on March 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This dude looks as stupid as Fluke (Fluck).

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

BedBug on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

HA posters could sink it.

BedBug on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM

That amounts to about $20,300 for each minute of the movie.

Typical of libs. Look what they spent on Solyndra. Evidently getting VALUE for your money is an alien concept to them.

GarandFan on March 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I had hoped that my documentary was picked, but the theme was Science Fiction.

See, its set on a Spaceship Earth and the effects were great! I don’t want to give too much away, but the largest objections in my Democratic audience was when Barack invaded America and glued everyone to the walls with regulations and taxes and Michelle was blasted out of the Airlock by Sarah Palin in a futuristic forklift suit.

Maybe next time.

Bulletchaser on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

It’s now somehow inappropriate for someone to make money producing something. Apparently your ardor for free market capitalism isn’t what it used to be.

plewis on March 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I love the poster. It shows him goofing off and haveing a great time while the country suffers. Great optics don’t you think?

mechkiller_k on March 15, 2012 at 4:20 PM

MadisonConservative on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Just came here to say that. Given how easy it is to take legitimate issue with Obama, I really wonder why this site bothers with such trivial sh*t.

ernesto on March 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

That guy looks constipated.

darwin on March 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Every time I’ve seen that picture here, I always think, “There’s Waldo!…Hey Waldo, where’s your shirt?”

RedCrow on March 15, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Cool it is going to be just like Caddyshack!

William Eaton on March 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM

This dude looks as stupid as Fluke (Fluck).

Schadenfreude on March 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Schadenfreude, that is Fluke (rhymes with F**k)

NOMOBO on March 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM

So what? It is his Fing money donated by supporters like myself. You people need to get a life. Really? this the best you can do? The president is trying to get reelected. Holy cow, what a shocker! Never before in American history has a president tried getting reelected. Must be his Muslim religion making him do something so offensive! Please tell me where do I send the hate mail? Is their a petition for his arrest I can sign? Can I donate to sarahpac to show my outrage?

Isserley on March 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

OK, so who here will watch and report ??
Open thread ??
//////

Must somehow keep count of the lies, and I’d bet everyone of us here (ok, at least MANY) would have the opposite FACT to dispute them, already in their brains !
You, know us ignorant flat-earthers !!

pambi on March 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Bulletchaser on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Truthfully, I’ve had nightmares almost that vivid & detailed, re these people !!
I know of one other friend who has, too !!

pambi on March 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Never before in American history has a president tried getting reelected, using so many blatant lies, ridicule, and division !!

Isserley on March 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

FIFY

pambi on March 15, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I bet this Guggenheim guy wears a pouch.

curved space on March 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM

arnold ziffel on March 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM

It sounds like it is time to drop your cable. I don’t have any. :) :) :)

Theophile on March 16, 2012 at 3:13 AM