Video: Don’t ask Chris Rock about the Tea Party

posted at 12:10 pm on March 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The definition of insanity might not be doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result, but in attacking people when they ask you about your definition of insanity. Our friend Jason Mattera confronts comedian Chris Rock about his allegations that the Tea Party is “insane” and “racist,” and, well … Chris Rock goes a bit nuts in response:

Some people don’t like ambush interviews, but even they’d have to say that Rock has a pretty low threshold here. Jason hadn’t even gotten the full question out when Rock turns around and attacks the cameraman [see update]. That’s not only a bit nuts, it’s also rather foolish. How could one not expect that video to go viral after providing such great material to undermine Rock’s credibility on psychology?

Jason’s new book Hollywood Hypocrites hit the bookstores this week — so be sure to pick up your copy now, or order it through the link!

Update: Jason e-mails me with a correction — it was a camerawoman that Rock attacked.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rock’s a racist who votes color over character.
Nothing to see here.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Tolerance.

WisRich on March 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

“This is the GOP Establishment – and WE APPROVE of Chris Rock’s Message!”

HondaV65 on March 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Violence inherent in the Left. This is at least misdemeanor assault. But I don’t expect our liberal trolls to denounce Chris over this.

rbj on March 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Obviously, Jason should have asked Chris about Barry’s brackets instead.

cyclown on March 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

We won’t win by playing nice. It might not be Rush’s place to call Fluke a slut but someone needs to. Likewise, we can’t let brain dead liberals like Rock get away with calling us racist or insane.

Bill C on March 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Tribalism and violence – the tools of the progressives.

Rebar on March 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Is this clown nose on or clown nose off ?

DeweyWins on March 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Rock is a turd.

ObamatheMessiah on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

How does one become so rich and famous and still keep a such a big chip on your shoulder?

Fallon on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I hate to say this – but given Chris Rock’s childhood – I can appreciate his racist view of the world.

I really can see why he is this way.

jake-the-goose on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

this admin has set this country back 50 years, this will not end well regardless of this years election results.

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Next week, Mattera should ambush-interview Rock about OWS…

Jeddite on March 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Well said – a MASSIVE IRONY of the Obama legacy.

Imagine the good our first black President might have done.

Crying shame.

jake-the-goose on March 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Hey Cris, maybe you should take your own advice… If you don’t want to get your ass beat…

SWalker on March 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

One of the “reviews” of Jason’s new book on amazon:

”Hollywood Hypocrites” is for Republican Retards
March 13, 2012 By Tricky Nicky
… So who are the real hypocrites? The Republicans, of course. If they truly feel that the people involved in Hollywood happenings are such hypocrites, they ought to boycott all related industries. Of course, they don’t. If they did, the only people they’d be left with are Ted Nugent, Chuck Norris, and Wilford Brimley.

Skip this book. It’s as dumb as the Republican who wrote it.

Apparently, the liberal “reviewer” took his own advice and skipped the book, too.
And the fitting conclusion?

1 out of 95 found this helpful

LOL

KS Rex on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I wouldn’t ask Chris Rock to name the ingredients to make boiling water, much less anything else; the man can be funny but as a person he’s a stone-cold race pimp.

Bishop on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

OK, not to play Lucifer’s Attorney here, but a guy is at a film festival and someone I don’t know walks up to me with a camera and asks what’s clearly a “gotcha” question. Do I grab the camera? Maybe.

I see him grabbing at the camera, but I don’t see a fist or anything. I like Mattera’s work, but you don’t just ambush a guy and then feign outrage when he reacts. That’s the left’s tactics. Aren’t we better than them?

FantomBeats on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Crying shame.

jake-the-goose on March 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Not irony – the exact result they wanted.

Without identity politics and grievance mongering, the democrat party would fold tomorrow.

Rebar on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Since Obama has called for Afro-Americans for Obama to get in their faces, expect black racists to intensify their hate mongering as never before. Since Obama has 95% of the black vote already, these attacks on the white electorate will be for intimidation purposes only. Without racial hatred and class warfare the demorats could never hold office. Add their new attempt at gender warfare and the party of hate will become so obvious that the brainwashed lemming nutjobs might finally see they are being used as tools and nothing more.

volsense on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Liberal and Progressives only see what they want to see.

They need the Tea Party to be racist in order for their movement to be justified. If not, they need to invent the racism.

They spend a lot of money to craft their image and promote their ideals.

Exposing them is our only option. On Facebook. On Twitter. On Google+. On blogs. Everywhere.

If you are not on Twitter or Facebook promoting this, you have conceded the fight to the Progressives.

Because they certainly are…

GadsdenRattlers on March 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Rebar on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Right on, right on, right on.

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Rock admitted in the 90′s that he’d be tempted to assasinate a white President if he had a black VP. This is just par for the course.

crazy_legs on March 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Chris who?

Dr Evil on March 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM

KS Rex on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Don’t you know that leftist garbage automatically win, when they review books without reading them? Don’t believe me? Just ask Peter Gleick.

MNHawk on March 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I want peace

apocalypse on March 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Wow. Sad, because the guy at least used to have a whit of common sense in his comedy.

But then, just like Bill Maher…it seems like “comedians” can get away with anything these days, as long as they’re attacking the Right.

MadisonConservative on March 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Chris Rock is a comedian? When did that happen???? It seems like just yesterday he was an angry black man with a potty mouth.

Happy Nomad on March 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Perhaps starting with the lack of concern for Black Panthers physically intimidating folks at the voting place, this Country run by the race baiter in chief, has dove backwards and it can be seen daily in my village. There’s a defiance and emboldened dislike for all things crackah

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Chicken sh*t.

portlandon on March 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

What should I do if I actually FEEL racist as I observe these escapades? My usual stress relief is a gun range but I’m not quite sure it would be appropriate this time.

Archivarix on March 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Archivarix on March 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Ganja dude

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Well, violence is cool with leftist women as long as a) Rocks calls for Uncle Sugar Daddy to pick up the tab for any medical expenses and b) Rock didn’t call her a slut.

You’ve come a long way, baby.

MNHawk on March 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM

KS Rex on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Odds that liberal reviewer actually read the book? 0. Odds that he ever read a book? Well, none since “Green Eggs and Ham”.

kirkill on March 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Btw, every time I login I here this

apocalypse on March 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Is the year 2000? Chris Rock is popular?

thebrokenrattle on March 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I don’t expect much from Chris Rock. Do you know what is worse? Chicago Bears’ coach Lovie Smith stating:

“I have the president’s back, and it’s up to us as African-Americans to show that we have his back also.”

Fallon on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Christ Rock has the young Al Sharpton hair going on in this video. Super creepy.

Roymunson on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I am an attorney. A contract attorney, not a prosecutor, but still….

Looks like battery to me. Battery is a felony in most jurisdictions.
__________

HeatSeeker2011 on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

So, the standard MO on the left these days seems to be, when you don’t have a credible answer… hit somebody.

RebeccaH on March 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Does this make him a Racist Rock?

faraway on March 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Rebar on March 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

and it’s happening as they begin to see teh one looking less and less likely to win this “race.” Stay sfae out there!!

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I didn’t even realize…Rock is 47 years old. This isn’t the action of a brash, impulsive young man, but the action of a man old enough to have grandchildren. Appalling.

MadisonConservative on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

as long as we are not talking about Jobs, Gasoline/Oil, or the Fed/Economy…good to go!

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

RebeccaH on March 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Then so be it. Bring it on.

VegasRick on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Everybody ha-ates Chriiiis…

Gingotts on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I am an attorney. A contract attorney, not a prosecutor, but still….

Looks like battery to me. Battery is a felony in most jurisdictions.
__________

HeatSeeker2011 on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Not if you’re a high profile lib.

rightConcept on March 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Liberals attacking women. Nothing to see here.

bearpaw on March 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The race riots this summer should be a hoot…!

Seven Percent Solution on March 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I am an attorney. A contract attorney, not a prosecutor, but still….

Looks like battery to me. Battery is a felony in most jurisdictions.
__________

HeatSeeker2011 on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Not if you’re a high profile lib.

rightConcept on March 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM

oh holder already reviewed the tape, nothing to see there. (CRT)

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

The Reverend Jackson, Reverend Sharpton and Chapters of the NAACP will be marching at venues where Chris Rock will be appearing and boycotting his sponsers, due to his insensitivity to a whole group of diversified people! Film at 11! This will not stand!/

KOOLAID2 on March 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Mattera? No thanks.

Dante on March 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM

**showing constraint**

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I don’t need to see the video. I know Chris Rock has a big chip on his shoulder. He says the white kids beat him up in high school. He says “No white person would ever trade places with him”. Sure, I know comedy is anger + truth + perspective + wit + pain. But his anger and pain, and frankly, hate, have overwhelmed the other ingredients. He’s highly successful, worth millions. Relax and enjoy life. Tea Partiers just want to balance the budget. That’s all. Not a reason to hate them.

Paul-Cincy on March 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Content warning:

“I would never hit a woman in my life! I ain’t on that s%*t. I would never, ever hit a woman in my life. EVER!”

… Chris Rock on hitting women.

Abby Adams on March 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Paging Gloria Steinem and Fmr Gov Jennifer Granholm….
War on Women!!

powerpickle on March 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

posted at 12:10 pm on March 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Well then she pressed charges assault – right?
I mean, in front of a whole bunch of people this went down – right?
Open and shut. This must have been really big news…in January…right?
Or does Jason have more to ‘correct’?

Seems pretty clear Rock attacked a camera.
(Can a camera press charges?)
Took Jason 2 months to edit this into something of any interest – including a frozen frame on scary enraged Chris Rock.
Pretty clear Rock was pissed-off at the ambush and the dickishness of the ‘big fan’. (‘I’m Brooklyn! Can I have a picture?’).

The Breitbart dive continues…

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

The race riots this summer should be a hoot…!

Seven Percent Solution on March 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Just wait until after The Won is the The Lost in November!

kirkill on March 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I’m a retired police officer. So those who don’t see a crime because they don’t see fist or such. Let me help you some. How much do those cameras cost. Can you then take the next step and understand what Rock is shown doing to the person and the camera.

There are several crimes here. You don’t need an imagination to figure it out.

Conservative4Ever on March 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“This is the GOP Establishment – and WE APPROVE of Chris Rock’s Message!”

HondaV65 on March 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Lame. Just lame.

V7_Sport on March 14, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Waaaaiiittttt!

I thought that the Left were tolerant and civil?

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Breitbart would be proud of the work O’Keefe and Mattera are doing.

blammm on March 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Bishop on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Spot On.

One of my favorite Rock routines was when he said

“I love how you go to any major city in America and the
worst violence there happens on the street named for
a person who espoused Non Violence.”

Martin Luther King Boulevard.

ToddPA on March 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Chris Rock is funny, but wow is that a thin skin.

Liberal comedians sure can dish out the political dirt, but they sure can’t take even the slightest of challenge to their biased assumptions.

Scrappy on March 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Paging Gloria Steinem and Fmr Gov Jennifer Granholm….
War on Women!!

powerpickle on March 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Where is Gloria Aldridge? Isn’t this her bread and butter, defending poor innocent women brutally abused in public by men?

SWalker on March 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Seems pretty clear Rock attacked a camera.
(Can a camera press charges?)

Can you press charges if I take a tyre iron to your car?

If you don’t know the answer, chalk it up to being:

JUST ANOTHER STUPID, BLOODY LIBERAL!!!

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

CHRIS BROWN?

Kaptain Amerika on March 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I suppose this is an affirmative action assault and battery. Multimillionaire physically attacks a cameraWOMAN and we’ll not hear of criminal charges or a civil suit? Another example of enabled elitists who think the rules don’t apply to them. If he tried that with me I would beat him like a rented mule.

MDLibertyLover on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Chris Rock ATTACKS WOMAN!

No film will be shown on MSM.

GarandFan on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

There are several crimes here. You don’t need an imagination to figure it out.

Conservative4Ever on March 14, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Sorry Mr Retired Police Officer, you are profoundly mistaken. The only crime shown on that video is of a white man violating the civil rights of a Black Liberal man.

/I’m not even sure this is snark

SWalker on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Rock should have never touched the camera. He should have challenged Mattera to engage in good old fashioned fisticuffs for getting in his face and watched while Mattera ran away.

plewis on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Every one of these violent attacks by libs is a projection of the realization that all the propaganda they have been spewing, all the money they have been dumping to liberal causes has been for naught.

Obama’s going down.

It’s only going to get worse.

Thank God for alternative media.

so-notbuyingit on March 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Don’t try and attack a point you can’t follow.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I am an attorney. A contract attorney, not a prosecutor, but still….

Looks like battery to me. Battery is a felony in most jurisdictions.
__________

HeatSeeker2011 on March 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Actually, I’m pretty sure battery is a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions unless there is some kind of extenuating circumstances. (regular physical altercations don’t rise to the felony level)

LibertarianRepublican on March 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Chris Hates Everybody

Kensington on March 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

COEXIST?

8thAirForce on March 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Even better. Chris Rock would never have done it if it was a man who could kick his ass. Chicken sh*t. portlandon on March 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Why didn’t Materra tune him up?

Akzed on March 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Over at Breitbart, the story says that Rock then taunted Mattera and suggested they “throw down”…whilst hiding behind two bodyguards.

Kensington on March 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Don’t try and attack a point you can’t follow.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I’m a lawyer.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’m sick of ambush journalism from either side.

Best video last week was some TV reporter who ran up to someone and shoved a microphone in their face and walked along side of them RIGHT into a street lamp pole, almost knocking him unconscious on the air.

Marcus on March 14, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Rebar on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Dind, ding, ding!! We have a winner! You sure got this right, brother. Just about as spot-on as you could possibly be.

Dopenstrange on March 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Chris Rock = Chris Brown.

tetriskid on March 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

FantomBeats on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Do you want to win or do want to be liked?

Bill C on March 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM

War on camerawomen

Dash on March 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

And, by the way, since the woman was holding the camera, it was a battery. Look up the legal definition.

IIRC, Sean Penn was convicted of or pleaded guilty to battery for a similar action.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Why didn’t Materra tune him up?
Akzed on March 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Because Mr. Rock was hiding behind two bodyguards when he was doing his trash talking. Mano a Mano I have no doubt Materra could kick that skinny little punk’s ***.

tommyboy on March 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

posted at 12:10 pm on March 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Seems pretty clear Rock attacked a camera.
(Can a camera press charges?)

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty damned sure that this is stupidest post I have ever seen on Hot Air. Ok, ok…maybe not the stupidest, but definitely in the top three – out of about 6,000,000.

Dopenstrange on March 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I am one of those that is not only thankful, but proud to know the likes of Jason Mattera and Andrew Breitbart, are/were and still is/are on our side. Think you can make me back down from my admiration? Give it a try at your own peril, I assure you. Get em Jason!

Bmore on March 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

A ‘mostly peaceful” interview with a ‘mostly peaceful’ black leftist Hollywood illiteratti.

jukin3 on March 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM

FantomBeats on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Sorry but this has nothing to do with Right or Left. Rock is an entertainer(sort of) who makes his living in the public eye. He seeks out attention when it suits him. He says things publicaly. I have no sympathy for him or anyone who chooses that lifestyle, and then complains when they have to take the bad with the good. If you want privacy then give it up. We all have to put up with some hassles in our lives, I think many so-called celebrities think they are above that.

Deanna on March 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Can Chris Rock use the Jon Stewart, Bill Maher Chris Rock is just a comedian defense in this instance???

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

COEXIST?

8thAirForce on March 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

That made me laugh. I am a very peaceful woman but when I see those inane, vacuous COEXIST stickers on cars I just want to scrape them off using my own fingernails, if necessary. Luckily, I have self-control.

Fallon on March 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

He says the white kids beat him up in high school.

[Paul-Cincy on March 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM]

So he was beat up by budding Democrats?

Dusty on March 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Chicken-sh!t little moron.

Learn to use your words little chrissy!!!

Tim_CA on March 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

posted at 12:10 pm on March 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The War on Women continues!!!!!/

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Kensington on March 14, 2012 at 1:02 PM

we could have some fun with that one right there…..

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

FantomBeats on March 14, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Heaven forbid you ask a “star” to explain their previous statement about the teaparty. They hit your camerawoman and threaten you. He was too chickenshit to admit on camera what he had said…

sandee on March 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM

That’s not only a bit nuts, it’s also rather foolish.

She oughta sue Chris Rock, force him to put a lift into his pool, and demand to come swim there under the ADA.

the lawyers would love it.//

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:22 PM