Video: Don’t ask Chris Rock about the Tea Party

posted at 12:10 pm on March 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The definition of insanity might not be doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result, but in attacking people when they ask you about your definition of insanity. Our friend Jason Mattera confronts comedian Chris Rock about his allegations that the Tea Party is “insane” and “racist,” and, well … Chris Rock goes a bit nuts in response:

Some people don’t like ambush interviews, but even they’d have to say that Rock has a pretty low threshold here. Jason hadn’t even gotten the full question out when Rock turns around and attacks the cameraman [see update]. That’s not only a bit nuts, it’s also rather foolish. How could one not expect that video to go viral after providing such great material to undermine Rock’s credibility on psychology?

Jason’s new book Hollywood Hypocrites hit the bookstores this week — so be sure to pick up your copy now, or order it through the link!

Update: Jason e-mails me with a correction — it was a camerawoman that Rock attacked.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If only there were some profession for Rock where he doesn’t have to deal with the occasional heckler…

Christien on March 14, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Chris Rockhead

Bitter Clinger on March 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Battery:

(1) an act by a defendant,
(2) an intent to cause harmful or offensive contact on the part of the defendant, and
(3) harmful or offensive contact to the plaintiff.

Contact can be most things connected to you, if you’re walking your dog and someone kicks that dog, that’s battery TO YOU. In your car while someone beats the hood, that’s battery TO YOU. This was battery.

Meric1837 on March 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

ha hah ahahahahahahahhahah….

i’m trying to laugh, it’s chris rock, he’s a comedian, i’m just supposed to laugh when I see him. I anticipate I’ll laugh harder when his a$$ gets sued for a few G’s….

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM

How does one become so rich and famous and still keep a such a big chip on your shoulder?

Fallon on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Ask Harry Belafonte and Bill Cosby. Why did Lovie Smith(coach of Chicago Bears) go all in on the recently formed African Americans for Obama pep club? It is the rule rather than the exception.

a capella on March 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM

a capella on March 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, I saw that about Lovie Smith. I’m a Bears fan but seeing that makes me want to have a bad season this year so that we can fire him.

Bitter Clinger on March 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Fallon on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

just ask O’jug-eared One

screwauger on March 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Chris Rock is an uber-lib… Nothing to see here… Move along…

SANDRA FLUKE!! WAR ON WOMEN!!

Khun Joe on March 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM

According to the date on the video itself, this ambush took place back on January 23. Why are we seeing this only now?

Oh, okay, Ed. Thanks for the clarification.

Drew Lowell on March 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM

This is the normal reaction of leftists to the Tea Party IMO. I have some leftists who are relatives who wouldn’t try the physical attack but who have openly labelled me a likely racist neo-con warmonger misogynist (pick one or all) etc. when they learned I’d been to local tea parties and would love to take them some day.

These are the same people who when asked said, yes I do expect you to pay for my healthcare and my multiple degrees in sociology, underwater basket weaving, the ecology of toilets, etc.

The media and academia set the tone for this New Civility. It’s a special kind of civility – ‘Agree with me or else I’ll call you names / trash your good name / try to hurt you’. Breitbart had LOTS of fun pointing this out and was brilliant at it. Steyn too. The humor is inherent.

CorporatePiggy on March 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM

He peaked as Ruby Rhod.

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Pfffffft… hahaha. Also:

That’s RAAAAAAAAAAAACIST!

Abby Adams on March 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Rock should have never touched the camera. He should have challenged Mattera to engage in good old fashioned fisticuffs for getting in his face and watched while Mattera ran away.

plewis on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Maybe, toughguy, you can show Chris Rock how it’s done, just as you’re going to show Sandra Fluke’s parents how it’s done.

Why is it leftist trash such as yourself is always cheering violence on?

MNHawk on March 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Classic proof that the left only tolerates those who all say the same thing and think the same way they do.

dogsoldier on March 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM

btw, PRESS CHARGES.

dogsoldier on March 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Pootytang

SouthernGent on March 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Any man who would strike a woman cannot be considered a man. What Chris Rock did is beyond reprehensible.

Assegai on March 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Considering his qualifications as a funnyman were sketchy at best previously, after this quite unfunny display it would definitely be the accurate thing hereout to reference Mr. Rock as “comedian” Chris Rock.

curved space on March 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Why does Chris Rock hate women? Is he a misogynist like Bill Maher? Who sponsors him?

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

You can take the homey out of the ghetto, but not the ghetto out of the homey.

infidel4life on March 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

He peaked as Ruby Rhod.

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Wrong guy.

Chris Tucker.

Shepherd Lover on March 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM

did the camerawoman laugh at Chris Rock? Did she find this funny? Was it hilarious? Did he say, “Aw, I was jus’ jokin‘…IOW, the hackneyed ‘just a comedian defense’. Or “C’mon girl, put some ice on that” in a throwback to Billy Jeff’s administration. Or, or…did he say how he loves him some face time in the press, especially when he’s got his drink on?

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Chris Rock acting black militant. Hope he does not show up at voting place with a bat.

Wade on March 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Don’t ask Chris Rock about the Tea Party

Why ever not?

The more of such acts displayed all over, the better.

Sir Napsalot on March 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I hate to say this – but given Chris Rock’s childhood – I can appreciate his racist view of the world.

I really can see why he is this way.

jake-the-goose on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Does not give him license to be a racist or break the law.

Wade on March 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

plewis on March 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM

….but instead he dodged Mattera and decided to attack a woman….
………great move tough guy.
What’s next for chris….going to go beat up some school children and steal their lunch money.

Baxter Greene on March 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I’m a lawyer.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM

And therefore a clear case for an assault charge here.
Do you concur, counselor?

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Gloria Allred ….. crickets

Wade on March 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM

And, here we go:

You can take the homey out of the ghetto, but not the ghetto out of the homey.
infidel4life on March 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Wade on March 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Drew Lowell on March 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Isn’t he in that upcoming movie What Not To Expect When You’re Not Expecting?

Christien on March 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

And therefore a clear case for an assault charge here.
Do you concur, counselor?

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Yes, but also a battery charge on the camerawoman, a destruction of property charge, and others.

Assault is only the threat. Battery is the unlawful contact and the contact can be by extension. If I grab your handbag and break your arm, it’s a battery even though my hand didn’t touch your body.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Funny how the chip on Rock’s shoulder seem to coincide with his fall into irrelevance. good riddance, his voice is like fingers on a chalk board anyway.. like a constipated Richard Prior.

jomondo44 on March 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I wonder if he’ll get charged, prosecuted, then sprung by the DOJ…../

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I think we may get the last laugh on this one…..

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM

He peaked as Ruby Rhod.

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Wrong guy.

Chris Tucker.

Shepherd Lover on March 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Exactly.

This dude peaked as the zebra on Madagascar, if you call that peaking.

WhaleBellied on March 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Ok.
So then why no charges? This happened almost two months ago.
Perhaps it didn’t all go down quite like Jason says.
Or maybe Rock threw a couple of $5 dollar bills down – Sonny Corleone style – to cover the busted up Flip cam…

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thanks Chris!!
Keep ‘em comin’ wingnutz!

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Some people don’t like ambush interviews

Sometimes. But if some loudmouth celebrity is going around slandering people, all bets are off. Rock ought to either shut up, or be prepared for a little pushback. What a wuss.

forest on March 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Now I’m not saying he should have [attacked the camera]… but I understand.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

He peaked as Ruby Rhod.

slickwillie2001 on March 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Slick – If this is a subtle dig at Chris Rock given that Chris Tucker played Ruby Rhod (and almost stole the whole movie), then I laugh along with you at the delicate but worthy slap.

If not…please see the 5th Element cast thingie at IMDB.com

Sacramento on March 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

“Typical black white person.”

Barry S.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

reading these commments…you’re all crazy. You loved Chris Rock until your hot air overlords told you not too. Yes you did…remember the “how to not get arrested” skit?

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Now I’m not saying he should have [attacked the camera]… but I understand.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Really??
I don’t get it. Can you fill in some details?

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Now I’m not saying he should have [attacked the camera]… but I understand.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Really??
I don’t get it. Can you fill in some details?

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It’s from a Chris Rock skit, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to get it because everyone here doesn’t like him.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Actually…no.

People can find Rocks act funny at times..and not funny at other times. Thats neither here nor there.
What the video shows is Chris Rock, not his act. His personality..not his schtick..his bias, not his bullshit.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

So you’re saying that he lives in the fantasy world of a character in his skits?
Really?..that doesn’t sound very healthy from a mental health perspective.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

why does anyone think this is even news? is reporting now just a series of ambush interviews at 2am looking to pick a fight?

This says nothing about Chris Rock, the tea party, or where the country is at, if andrew breitbart thought this was news we are better off without him.

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I really can see why he is this way.

jake-the-goose on March 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Why? Are you saying that he can’t cope with his past and should be given a pass on present behavior? (I know nothing of his past, but just not buyin’ the “poor me” bit….from anyone)

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Delusional.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

@Mimzey are you saying your delusional? cause your after reading your comments very little of it makes sense. like “I know nothing of his past” but I’m going to judge your statement as if I’m well versed on them.

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Ok.
So then why no charges? This happened almost two months ago.
Perhaps it didn’t all go down quite like Jason says.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I don’t know. If it was up to Jason, I would think that he probably would settle for cash to replace the camera knowing that the video (and the others he claims to have) would be best held until his book kicks off.

The woman may have thought about pressing charges. She can still file a civil suit against him. Normally, the statute of limitations is one year. I don’t know what it is in Utah, but it can’t be more than 2.

I wonder if he’ll get charged, prosecuted, then sprung by the DOJ…../

ted c on March 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Well, it would be hard for the DOJ to get involved since assault and battery are misdemeanors and state crimes, not Federal. I suppose that Eric Holder could argue some civil rights violation along the lines of a Section 1983, but he would have to really be asking for it. A rich, black guy, who attacked a woman, is not the kind of person for whom you want to go to bat. Ask anyone who tried to defend Chris Brown after he beat up Rhianna.

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Now I’m not saying he should have [attacked the camera]… but I understand.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Really??
I don’t get it. Can you fill in some details?

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

That was a skit Rock ran explaining how he felt about what O.J. did and why he did it.

NapaConservative on March 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Resist We Much on March 14, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Now that is a well reasoned analysis.
However, doubtful he would have been given any cash* and not mentioned it. And even more doubtful he would have passed up an opp to file charges – getting even more press with which to push his book.
So methinks more than likely, a case for assault was tenuous at best(as would have been the case for a harassment charge by Rock).
So I’d say Mattera opted for the only real option he had – keep quiet and spend a few months editing, slicing, and re-splicing.
Maybe he’s off stalking George Lopez and Lisa Lampanelli now..

*$50 for a Flip?

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thats delusional..and somewhat paranoid.

I was referring to your comment that stated…wait. I’ll show you your own words.

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

There. Does that help you with context?

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Mattera never even finished his question. All he managed to do was say “When you said the Tea Party was ‘insane’…”, after which Rock immediately started running and then attacked the person with the camera. Mattera didn’t even get the chance to say anything that would be considered mildly inflammatory. Not to mention…this is a f**king comedian. If you think this says nothing about Chris Rock, you’re blind.

MadisonConservative on March 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM

NapaConservative on March 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Thanks. Didn’t see that one.
Still don’t see the context of it.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ha! Mattera rules.

WhatSlushfund on March 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Maybe he’s off stalking George Lopez and Lisa Lampanelli now..

*$50 for a Flip?

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Why would he do that? Did they proudly exhibit their bigotry too? If so, he should make them look stupid on video.

p.s. Something tells me the game is changing. :)

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I say Jason and or the camerawoman should take this battery to court. Don’t let them get away with this kind of behavior. If they are punished for their behavior, maybe, just maybe they will start to rethink their attitudes and thoughts.

AnotherOpinion on March 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I know who HA would be better without.

Wade on March 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM

So just to sum up for our resident leftists…

A woman is verbally attacked from hundreds of miles away, while she isn’t listening. The verdict? ZZZZOOOOMG DETH PENNULTEEE!!!!

A woman is physically assaulted by an attacker who violently wrestles a valuable piece of property away from her. The verdict? This one time…on Craigslist….I bought a…..Flip camera……….for 50…..dollars.

Nom de Boom on March 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Zekecorlain on March 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Andrew Breitbart is facepalming in the afterlife –
they ruined his act.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Andrew Breitbart is facepalming in the afterlife –
they ruined his act.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Delusional.

Mimzey on March 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM

In the introduction to Hollywood Hypocrites, Mattera says that David Geffen on meeting Obama was “swept away” by Barack’s “lack of entitlement or self-importance.” LOL

SukieTawdry on March 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Bravo Sierra.

Even a broken clock is right, 2 times a day.

Sometimes even a racist moron like Chris Rock can say something quite profound, but most likely by accident. Besides, who else but ghetto Chris would know best “how not to get arrested”? Heck, I bet 99.999% of Tea Partiers wouldn’t even catch the attention of a LEO, not because of the color of their skin, but by the absence of bad behavior.

Shepherd Lover on March 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Andrew Breitbart is facepalming in the afterlife –
they ruined his act.

verbaluce on March 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I’d like to file a complaint.

Nom de Boom on March 14, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Old and Busted: Leave ‘em laughing
The New Hotness: Hit the camerawoman

Christien on March 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I didn’t even realize…Rock is 47 years old. This isn’t the action of a brash, impulsive young man, but the action of a man old enough to have grandchildren. Appalling.

MadisonConservative on March 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

HA HA. In his milieu, a great grandfather.

St. Regis Philbin on March 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Isn’t this a guy who make his living by his keen wit and insight? He couldn’t come up with a snappy comeback instead of clobbering a girl?

tj4osu on March 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Just a friendly suggestion…If Mr. Mattera is serious about this, he’s going to need to bring along a second camera into the fray. There is a REASON Chris Rock went after the camera GIRL instead of Mr. Mattera.

A second camera in THIS instance would have documented that Chris Rock attacked a girl (assault, a misdemeanor at least), forcibly snatched her camera away (robbery, a felony), threw it 50 feet (criminal mischief, a misdemeanor), and endangered people standing nearby (reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor). We also would have gotton video of the pussy going “joe pesce” while standing behind two bodyguards…priceless.

With the one camera, all we got was the demon face.

Tomolena1 on March 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

From his Bigger and Blacker stand-up routine.

John the Libertarian on March 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Chris Rock has gone from “Bigger and Blacker” to “Bitter and Bigoted”.

Mike Honcho on March 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Gee, in that close-up of Rock in the video, he looks just like the model for gorilla cookies!! I often wondered who the model was, now I know!!!

Jersey Dan on March 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Mattera better lather on the grease next time to make it harder to grapple with him. That includes the cameraman!

And wear a helmet or something!

Sherman1864 on March 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM

…and here I was all entertained by Chris Rock’s “How not to get beet up by the Police” sketch.

Count to 10 on March 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM

This always came across to me as kind of conservative:

Count to 10 on March 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM

“I take care of my kids.”

And

The left’s war on (camera)women.

That’s all I got.

Buck Turgidson on March 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Might I register a complaint about the site’s auto-refresh that pops me back to the beginning of the comments without warning, so I have to keep refinding where I left off?

PJ Emeritus on March 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Keep digging Hollywood, you haven’t quite alienated a majority of America, but you’re getting there.

FineasFinn on March 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM

HA HA. In his milieu, a great grandfather.

St. Regis Philbin on March 14, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Assuming he can find a female partner.

Wade on March 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Isn’t this a guy who make his living by his keen wit and insight?
tj4osu on March 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Know the difference bewteen Humor and Odor?

Humor is a shift of WIT.

Wade on March 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Assegai on March 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I could certainly agree that what Chris rock did here was outrageous but where is it written that men must treat all women as ladies? It is this kind of dangerous thinking that has led to the matriarchy we are living in. Feminists want all the benefits of being a man while shouldering none of its responsibilities, and men are all to willing to cater to them. When are western men going to wake up?

NeverLiberal on March 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

it’s too bad Chris Rock and his peeps (in hollow-wood) call me names.
Hey Chris, grow up and understand, just because I don’t agree with you about something doesn’t make me a racist! It does however show how intolerent YOU & Your Peeps are.

mmcnamer1 on March 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Observation: This Chris Rock guy’s hairdo makes him look like he’s spooked… :)

BigSven on March 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Notice how he slinks to the protection of his posse before the tough-guy routine begins.

Anyone who understands projection understands how the liberal mind works. Simply project your own flaws onto someone else to eliminate suspicion. Looks like Chris Rock fits his own accusations of the Tea Party pretty well to me, just as I suspect Janeane Garafolo holds a deep-seated condescension towards black people. But hey, at least Chris Rock is funny – can’t say the same for the depressing Garafolo.

stout77 on March 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Because we’re mindless, racist automatons, right?

blindside on March 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Just another misinformed, angry. aging comic.

SC.Charlie on March 16, 2012 at 3:25 AM