Quotes of the day

posted at 10:37 pm on March 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Gingrich no longer says he can capture the 1,144 delegates required to wrap up the Republican nomination. Instead, he now speaks frankly about a new plan: Keep Romney from getting to 1,144 by the end of the GOP primary season in June, and then start what Gingrich calls a ‘conversation’ about who should be the Republican nominee. That conversation, the plan goes, would lead to a brokered GOP convention at which Gingrich would emerge as the eventual nominee.

“‘Our goal first is to keep Romney well below 1,000,’ Gingrich spokesman R.C. Hammond said an hour before Gingrich addressed a small crowd of disappointed supporters gathered at the Wynfrey Hotel. ‘It doesn’t have to be 1,000, or 1,050 — it has to be below 1,100.’ If Gingrich succeeds, Hammond continued, ‘This will be the first time in our party in modern politics that we’re going to go to the convention floor.’…

“But the Washington establishment, or more accurately the East Coast establishment, is about to declare Gingrich dead. After Tuesday’s primary, reporters from the Washington Post and New York Times were leaving the Gingrich campaign; it’s not clear how regularly the papers will cover Gingrich from now on. That’s a sign of establishment rejection that Gingrich would relish — he’s scored a lot of political points attacking the media — but the real worry is that the Gingrich campaign might slowly fade from press coverage. And then — far more ominously — those 175,000 donors might begin to lose their enthusiasm, along with their resolve to give again.”

***

“‘We’re actually helping because between us – Santorum and I – are stopping Romney,’ Gingrich said…

“If Gingrich drops out, he argues, two things will happen:

“1) His vote gets divided between Santorum and Romney. A larger percentage would go to Santorum, but at least some goes to Romney, allowing him to accumulate more delegates; and,

“2) Romney is then able to aim all of his considerable firepower at Santorum, destroying him with negative ads the way he twice destroyed Gingrich (in Iowa and Florida).”

***

“Newt Gingrich’s plan to keep Mitt Romney from winning the necessary delegates for the GOP nomination means the presidential contenders might have to form a deal in order to avoid a brokered convention, a leading Gingrich surrogate told The Hill.

“Former Sen. Bob Smith (R-N.H.) said an agreement between the candidates would be preferable to taking the fight to the convention floor in Tampa, Fla., this August.

“‘If the four candidates that are involved decide to somehow put delegates together to make somebody the nominee based on the delegates they’ve earned I don’t think I’d call that a backroom deal,’ he said. ‘A brokered convention [could] go against the wishes of all the voters and maybe pick someone who wasn’t even running. No one I know wants a brokered convention.’”

***

“He insisted in his election-night speech that he was going forward — ignoring that he’s lost every one of the last 30 contests except for Georgia, his home state.

“‘Newt’s been dead for awhile, but now we’ve got proof,’ cracked Murphy.

“In a sign that Gingrich is increasingly out of options, a senior adviser to his campaign began floating the idea of a fusion ticket between the two remaining Romney alternatives.

“‘Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would make a powerful team against Barack Obama,’ wrote the adviser in an email.”

***

“As we can see, Romney won roughly the same share of the vote in all four states [SC, GA, AL, MS] – something within a very narrow band of 26 percent and 30 percent of the vote. The real shift last night came from Santorum surging at the expense of Newt Gingrich.

“We can also see this when we break it down into ideological groupings, above all ‘very conservative’ voters…

“Here we see a similar pattern – Mitt Romney holding in a very narrow band (between 18 percent and 24 percent) while Rick Santorum has surged by about 15 points at the expense of Newt Gingrich, who has declined by 15 points

“From a bigger picture, these results confirm what the RealClearPolitics average has been saying for about a month: Rick Santorum has eclipsed Newt Gingrich in the battle to be the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney.”

***

“Some have suggested that deep in his heart Gingrich fashions himself a modern Winston Churchill, called to lead his country at a critical moment in its history. But history — using Alabama and Mississippi as its surrogates — has spoken and it has declared that Newt is decidedly not Churchill and that he won’t be president. At least not President of the United States.

“As The Daily Caller’s Matt Lewis pointed out while calling for Gingrich to drop out, ‘if [Gingrich] truly believes Mitt Romney is a ‘Massachusetts moderate’ masquerading as a conservative, then he owes it to Republican voters to give former Sen. Rick Santorum a clean shot at wresting the nomination from him.’

“Tuesday night, Gingrich took the burn down the house strategy in refusing to get out. If he can’t win, he’ll torpedo Santorum’s chance of winning and intentionally or unintentionally give the nomination to his nemesis, Mitt Romney. Perhaps upon further reflection, he will put his ego aside and do the right thing by allowing the final two serious candidates standing to battle it out for the GOP nomination.”

***

“In a half-filled convention center ballroom in Rosemont, a Chicago suburb, a mix of supporters and the merely curious turned out to see the candidate speak, some holding ‘Don’t believe the liberal media!’ signs, a fixture of his rallies, which on this day could have been echoing his criticism of Mitt Romney’s anointment as the inevitable nominee…

“Mr. Gingrich envisions an outcome in which, almost by force of personality and will, he is acclaimed the nominee at a contested convention in August despite failing to win the popular vote in more than a couple of states…

“‘The problem with being a fighter is sometimes they don’t know when to quit,” said Mr. Campfield, a state senator who switched allegiance to Mr. Santorum before he won Tennessee on Super Tuesday. ‘You don’t realize it’s better to bow out gracefully.’”

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

I was just on the Coulter thread. I really want coolchange80 GONE!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Nope, Rusty Allen just commented. Palin threads are fun. I just wasn’t up for it tonight. Page 8, not to shabby. http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/14/coulter-on-palin-and-a-brokered-convention-beware-of-political-celebrities-in-the-gop/comment-page-8/#comment-5613137

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I like that. Do you think there would be support for a convention in someplace in the middle of the country? People could wear nametags with their Hot Air name on them.

blink on March 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Lotsa people met at the Glenn Beck rally.

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Why?

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM

blink on March 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I’d be willing to help organize the meeting for the SW.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM

blink on March 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

WHY??? What did she do to you???

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Dire looks like I got the last word in over there at Palin Central.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM

LoLz..No one ever gets the last word in a Palin thread..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

blink on March 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I’ve only met one person from HotAir, that I know of but I do have phone numbers for a few. I would love for the folks in Florida to get together. I haven’t been around but I hope FloraDuh doesn’t give up on us.

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I was just on the Coulter thread. I really want coolchange80 GONE!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:15 AM

WHY??? What did she do to you???

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Looks like those folks even ran off Bradky.

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:18 AM

LoLz..No one ever gets the last word in a Palin thread..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Heh. You know that’s right!

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM

blink on March 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Wouldn’t it be hilarious to see each other after so much time here anonymously. It be cool, but a little freaky. I always find myself drawing a mental picture of folks based on their comments.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Why?

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Because he’s a shrieking, unhinged ghoul who believes that if you disagree with ANYTHING about Sarah Palin you’re a: RINO , Ron-bot, stupid, support Zero etc. You’re a bad person.
My guess is that he has a picture of Sarah Palin on his ceiling.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Dire just wait until you see the picture I have made up in my mind of you. ; ) You’ll be smiling for sure.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Refresh my memory while I restart my computer, apparently it is updating!

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Jetboy said Crist would get the nomination or he would eat his hat..:)

PS..He caught He!! about that for a long time..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Lance: coolchange is a rabid, cultish rat. She’s the jailbait of the Palin crowd.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM

How ya gonna do it? Do ya need any help?

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I’m sure you know my real name. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Ruh roh. Methinks Coolchange80 ain’t long for HA.

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Sooner or later she’ll say something totally outrageous-and if I see it-I’ll make certain to point it out to Ed et al.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

It isn’t who she supports-it’s the sheer viciousness of how she does it.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Did anyone actually see the video?

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:26 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Remember, comments are the name of the game.

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

It isn’t who she supports-it’s the sheer viciousness of how she does it.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I saw.

And learn how to quote!

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Okay dokey, I’ll keep an eye out like always. Gee I feel like I need to get Lanceman’s permission from now on. I don’t want to come back and see him pissed or sobbing in a corner somewhere./ Good night all. Its been fun as always.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I’m signing off to watch Red Eye with the puppies. Or at least that is my intention.

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Oh and Lanceman I had no idea you were such a Gentlemen. I mean that as a compliment Lanceman.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:29 AM

I had no idea you were such a Gentlemen. I mean that as a compliment Lanceman.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Hardly. But I will leave you all with one final thought:

SCOAMF.

That is all.

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:30 AM

; )

Just look at the mess on that Palin Coulter thread.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Did anyone actually see the video?

Cindy Munford on March 15, 2012 at 3:26 AM

No video to my knowledge..:)

Dire Straits on March 15, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Earth to GOP:

Get it together; we can’t afford business as usual this cycle. The stakes are enormous.

hillbillyjim on March 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Newt sounds a bit like he’s following Huck’s playbook from ’08, stay in the race long enough to eclipse/hurt Romney…

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum are a couple of losers.

Neither one can win the nomination and neither one could beat Obama.

All they can do is increase Obama’s chances of winning by selfishly choosing to prolong the Republican in-fighting.

Santorum and Gingrich are putting their own egos above the good of the country.

A Vote for the Unelectable Theocrat Rick Santorum in the Primary = A Vote for Obama’s Reelection

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 4:55 AM

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Last week, you were calling for a Romney/Santorum ticket. I’ve heard of trickle down economics but, I don’t think I’ve heard/seen trickle down “weathervaning” before…

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Last week, you were calling for a Romney/Santorum ticket.

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Romney can and will do a lot better than an unelectable bigot like Rick Santorum. I’ve never liked the idea of putting Santorum on the ticket. I’d prefer someone like Rubio, Rand Paul or McDonnell, but the most important thing to me in the VP running mate selection is helping to make the ticket more competitive. Santorum’s history of extreme social positions would attract too much focus and would be a distraction in the same way Sarah Palin’s lack of experience and competence was a distraction from the campaign’s intended message.

Having said that, I’m sure we could find a use for Rick Santorum in the general election campaign. An organization can never have too many envelope lickers, after all. Santorum has a tongue, doesn’t he? Well, it’s time he put that tongue to use for something other than spewing bigotry and whininess.

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 5:06 AM

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 5:06 AM

I agree that a Romney/Rick ticket wouldn’t be the optimum. However, going from advocating his inclusion one week to calling him a bigot the next seems a bit much…

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Yes, it would seem a bit much, if that were the case. However, I can assure you I have never once seriously advocated Santorum’s inclusion on the ticket. You might be thinking of someone else. I think I can say pretty definitively that no one on this site has described Santorum as a bigot more often and consistently than I have. Hehe. People wanted me banned for doing it, too.

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Ruh roh. Methinks Coolchange80 ain’t long for HA.

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

shrug

or not…I thought he was done for way back (was it January?) on the Palin minor snark thread when Coolchange 80 proclaimed:

Tina Korbe, go s*ck a _____

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Newt nor any other candidate has the power to keep Romney from getting nominated. The people do. It’s that simple.

So if the people don’t vote for Romney, then they don’t want Romney and all the RINO’s need to stop whining and blaming Newt and Santorum. It’s all fair and square. Get over it.
If Romney gets it in a brokered convention, then it is what it is. God help us all.

The only saving grace for Romney will be a super conservative as his VP… and a GOP/conservative congress. And pray for 4-8 years we never lose the congress. or Mitt will undue every singel conservative thing he was forced to do by a GOP controlled congress. Once the Dems take back the House and or Senate, Mittens will resort to what he is. He will do everything he did in Massachusetts.

By his own words and his own record… he’ll “have to be a liberal” again because congress will be full of liberals.

JellyToast on March 15, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Ruh roh. Methinks Coolchange80 ain’t long for HA.

Lanceman on March 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM

shrug

Tina Korbe, go s*ck a _____

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM

A lot of posters here, wouldn’t be here, if Michelle Malkin was holding “the Ban Hammer”.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM

good morning HA :)

cup of coffee in hand, let’s have a great day!!

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 6:56 AM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I regret not having found Hot Air way back when. Suspect that the tsunami wave of us noobs could cause plenty of us a-holes to be overlooked. Still, I feel bad for scolding the vulgar offender CC80, but not turning him in.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 15, 2012 at 7:00 AM

so morning joe touts a fox news poll and all is well again…the nyt poll was an outlier, nothing to worry about..the gop folks are weak, he’s got this in the bag

bleh

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Is he actually supporting Obama? Oh, and Good Morning!

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM

he’s on vacation so it’s a mika lib love fest, not a ‘conservative’ in the house

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM

That must be really irritating to watch! My morning radio show is all Santorum all the time now, being in Western PA. I don’t have anything against Santorum really, but it got so irritating the other day I had to turn it off.

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Matt Lewis is an idiot.

Santorum will “torpedo Santorum’s chance of winning and intentionally or unintentionally give the nomination to his nemesis, Mitt Romney.

Newt Gingrich will never “put his ego aside.” And, doing “the right thing” is not in his character. He’ll have to be PUSHED out by Republicans who will warn him that he will lose his future earning power in DC if he doesn’t get the hell out now.

mountainaires on March 15, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Night Owl on March 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

ugharoo, i feel for ya…yea, it’s not as fun without joe ribbing mika every once in awhile…

cmsinaz on March 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM

As soon as Willard+Paul >= 1144 it’s over. Paul will pledge his delegates to Romney for a speaking slot and, as they say, future considerations. If necessary, he’ll do this in June. Saintorum would lose faster with Gingrich out as about 40% of the Gingrich vote would go to Romney. After next week it’s all downhill for Ricky.

Annar on March 15, 2012 at 7:37 AM

After next week it’s all downhill for Ricky.

Annar on March 15, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Righteous Rick is going down, and going down hard. This is good news for the effort to defeat Obama.

Sanctimonious Santorum has been Obama’s best friend in recent months, since we all know that Obama would love for nothing more than to face an easy opponent like the unelectable Rick Santorum in November.

A Vote for Rick Santorum in the Primary = A Vote for Barack Obama’s Reelection

bluegill on March 15, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Pop Quiz!

Expert Tony Perkins is:

a) The most respected Blackjack card counter/how-to-win writer in Vegas.

b) The most arduous Family Research Council Evangelical kingmaker of late 20th/early 21st Century politics.

c) The late cinimatic King of Serial Killers; forever owner of ‘Bates Motel’, godfather of endless modern crappy slasher films.

Answer = d) All of the above.
;D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Gingrich is a delusional egomaniac and him and church lady Rick should face the music and bow out gracefully.

ObamatheMessiah on March 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

ObamatheMessiah on March 15, 2012 at 8:58 AM

What do you think of Ron Paul?

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Mornin’ all. My coffee’s cold but I’ll make a fresh pot before I go. There’s toast and a few muffins, help yourselves. Saw the sweet baby last night but today it’s nursing home time. From the sublime to the somber within 12 hours

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

What do you think of Ron Paul?

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM

A wee bit to old to be leader of the free world. His time has come and gone. Perhaps Rand someday. Of course as with all of them, its their/his decision when to withdraw.

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 10:54 AM

What a shame. You will be missed.

Bee on March 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM