Coulter on Palin and a brokered convention: Beware of political celebrities in the GOP

posted at 3:05 pm on March 14, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Actually, her exact phrase wasn’t “political celebrities.” At the Indian River County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day Dinner in Vero Beach, Fla., Monday night, she said the GOP has a problem with “con men and charlatans.” Her point, though, was this: The Republican Party — and particularly the conservative movement — has created incentives for politicians to enter the fray not necessarily to win an office, but to eventually score a gig with Fox News or write a book. We need to be wary, then, of people who might possibly be in it solely for themselves.

Coulter’s not keen on the idea of a brokered convention, but she’s also not concerned it will happen. I think she’s right. Right that it wouldn’t be good for the GOP because, really, who’s going to save us now? If nothing else, it sets a bad precedent: Who will want to face the primary process in the future if he knows he can skip it and still be in the battle for the nomination? Right, too, that it probably won’t happen.

A contested convention is different: Santorum might have made a strong enough case for himself by the time the convention rolls around to be able to convince the needed number of Romney delegates to go his way — and he arguably should have that opportunity. Not sure Coulter would agree with me there, though. (H/t The Daily Caller and The Shark Tank)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

Guess what-people can disagree about Sarah Palin and STILL be good conservatives!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM

( G A S P )

BLASPHEMY !

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Stick a fork in Coulter, she is done.

“Guilty” is the last book I purchased from her and I can assure you it is indeed the last. The woman is off her rocker!

gdonovan on March 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM

alt,

Are you gonna dump green dye into the river for old times sake?…

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 5:44 AM

West Texas is still in a drought-so no river. Might be a few puddles. I’ll figger out sumpin’. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM

How bad, in West Texas? Are there any ordinances forbidding putting water in a “toddler-sized” wading pool?

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM

( G A S P )

BLASPHEMY !

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM
You gonna report me to Attaaaaaack Waaaaaatch?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Dunno.
We’re at level 2. Level 3 means you can’t add water to your pool or hot tub.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM

alt,

What’s up with KP?…

Gohawgs on March 15, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Stick a fork in Coulter, she is done.

gdonovan on March 15, 2012 at 5:54 AM

I disagree with Ann as pertains to Mitt, but she ain’t done.

Unless she loses any more weight, in which case she might really be done.
: (

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:05 AM

I disagree with Ann as pertains to Mitt, but she ain’t done.

If she can make such a clear error, why listen to her further?

I used to enjoy Ann bringing the fight to the liberals and reading her books (the facts in them are beyond dispute and shocking in some cases though her writing style seems erratic)

gdonovan on March 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM

( G A S P )

BLASPHEMY !

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM

You gonna report me to Attaaaaaack Waaaaaatch?

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 6:00 AM

(whispering) Hello, Attack Watch? She’s onto me, I think my cover’s been “blown” . . .

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:20 AM

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Dunno.
We’re at level 2. Level 3 means you can’t add water to your pool or hot tub.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM

We’re coming up on the “Storm Season”. Hope that works to your benefit; by that I mean rain, without the tornado.

However, if you happen to see any of those professional storm chasers in your neighborhood . . . .

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I disagree with Ann as pertains to Mitt, but she ain’t done.
listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:05 AM

If she can make such a clear error, why listen to her further?

gdonovan on March 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I’ve only bought two of her books; Slander, and Treason.

Treason was very educational.

listens2glenn on March 15, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Who cares? I’m talking about your on-going hatred of all things Palin … whether it be her or anyone who makes a favorable comment about her.

darwin on March 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM

First, I don’t “hate” Palin. Please don’t project your emotional immaturity on to me. Second, this is a Palin thread. If you don’t like the fact I noted a commenter complained about the perfectly fine term “Palinista”, tant pis.

The topic is Ann Coulter’s comments about Palin. As they closely match what I’ve been saying for a very long time now. Palin was a fine governor but let’s face it – she’s using her position at Fox to undermine the candidates (except for Newt for some unfathomable reason) and promote the idea of her own place as the chosen one in a brokered convention situation she is actively promoting.

You can argue you favor this scenario, or like me, you can argue it’s a terribly destructive maneuver on her part, but you cannot deny what she is on the record saying as a matter of fact.

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM
======================================================

Fathom this: Rommney and Santorum have ZERO chance of beating Obama. Anyone who can read basic statistics knows this. Newt is the only one with at least a fighting chance of keeping Obama out of the Whitehouse for another 4 years.

And the irony of Coulter, who is merely a celebrity because of her looks, telling folks not to listen to someone with actual accomplishments and substance like Palin is Orwellian.

It just shows that just like the Democrat party, the Republican party has a lot of uninformed, misinformed voters and leaders

georgealbert on March 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Ann Coulter is like the vicious pit bull that makes you feel secure guarding your house -until it turns on you.

Don L on March 15, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Cripes. The Mitler Youth are having a goose stepping contest right here on this thread trying to stomp on Palin.

I wish they would stomp on Obama. That would be a nice change of pace.

SparkPlug on March 15, 2012 at 4:44 AM

They have too much bad faith to do that. Look at them still propping up the gaffe-spewing divisive idiocy of Bachmann, the female Santorum.

ebrown2 on March 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I use to like Ann Coulter.
Now, I can see why liberals hate her.

jpmotu on March 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM

First, I don’t “hate” Palin.

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Oh please. According to you, Palin is the reason we fight here on HotAir.

fossten on March 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM

You’ve always struck me as a likable person and honset-to-goodness conservative, Annoying Little Twerp, and I’m a Palinista. Coulter rubs me the wrong way though.

zoyclem on March 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Coulter has abandoned all conservative values in her demand that Romney be elected.

Coulter has exposed her desire for ‘progress’ to socialized medicine.

I wonder what she thinks her future as a ‘conservative socialist’ will be?

Freddy on March 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ann Coulter has revealed herself to be a Liberal RINO charlaton, Ann projected herself on her accusations on Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin is now into Coulters head. When Sarah accused Anns love of her life, the big mouthed Governor of New Jersey of getting his panties in a wad, horseface Ann knew she had to retaliate, but it was Ann back a few months ago to Laura Ingraham filling in for O Reilly, said Im getting to hate Sarah Palins fanatic followers. So this has been building up for quite a while, Ann is a Romneybot, and Sarah Palin is an anti-Romnybot. At CPAC Coulter got booed, Sarah Palin got ovations. Ann eat your heart out..:)

idesign on March 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Never got an answer who Coulter was talking about or why she isn’t running for any office if she’s so much smarter than Palin and a better debater. Man, it’s too easy to stump these guys.

Dongemaharu on March 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Palin will stump for Romney eventually.
And he’ll grin and bear it (many can coach him on how to do this).
And Coulter will find a new angle/target to keep her bookable on Fox.

verbaluce on March 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Palin will stump for Romney eventually
verbaluce on March 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I’m wondering if she won’t just spend most of the time going after Obama instead of directly supporting Romney. Wouldn’t that be preferable for both of them?

Dongemaharu on March 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Well someone with some intelligence like Coulter can easily see someone who is clueless on 90% of the important issues like Sarah (Vague Generalities) Palin. But I don’t know if Coulter understands that the near special needs IQ demographic in the Republican Party loves Palin because they don’t want elitists that talk about issues, they want “terror loving terrorists” and moose chili commercials, slogans and nicknames like Mama Grizzly, versus specifics on issues.

LevStrauss on March 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM

So, let me sum up and point it out to you. You have been called a liberal plant here and now you say you agree with Coulter, who many of us now consider a sell out, a RINO. Hmmmm… Correlation if there is one, what does it make Coulter when liberals agree with her views. And you fail to see the point?

That Maher virus has rubbed off on her, no doubt. Or rather, infected her, big time.

riddick on March 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Coulter has exposed her desire for ‘progress’ to socialized medicine.

I wonder what she thinks her future as a ‘conservative socialist’ will be?

Freddy on March 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Not that I am a Romney fan, nor will I ever vote for him, but out of any of the Republicans tax and spend plans (except Ron Paul’s), Romney’s is best on the deficit.

LevStrauss on March 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Mittens’ Kitten threw a hissy fit.

idesign on March 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I agree with Ann Coulter. Palin is not smart

liberal4life on March 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I agree with most of the other posters on this site; YOU are
indeed lacking in intellect.

Amjean on March 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Dongemaharu on March 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Perhaps – definitely will be preferable for Romney. But as evidenced here, the Palinbots will need full sanction before they cast votes for Romney. And it’s not like Palin would be able to deliver anyone else. The bigger question for a Romney campaign would be the negs she brings – could push a lot of moderates and independents Obama’s way.
So maybe it will indeed be McCain ll over again…

verbaluce on March 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Coulter has exposed her desire for ‘progress’ to socialized medicine.

I wonder what she thinks her future as a ‘conservative socialist’ will be?

Freddy on March 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Romney will be the nominee and we’ll lose,” explained Ann Coulter before selling out her conservative principles and jumping on the potential Romney gravy train.

How to you tell someone’s a political opportunist? There is always a short expiration date on what they say.

Fallon on March 15, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Is this the foreword of Ann’s autobiography?

cajunpatriot on March 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Coultergeist, envy and jealousy will get you nowhere!

Jayrae on March 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I like Palin: She is smart. Anyone who says differently needs to offer real evidence to the contrary. Any criticism of her intelligence – like similar criticism of GWB’s intelligence – comes off as shallow and suggests to me her critics from the “right” are the true RINOs. I also believe Palin truly believes in conservative values, just as I do. I don’t think it’s just for celebrity or personal gain that she does these things, though celebrity and personal gain come with the success she’s had politically and commercially (as with her show and as a pundit). Oh yeah, and she is one of the few politicians who has had someone uglier than her cast as her in a movie. Maybe that’s how you know she’s a true conservative.

I also like Coulter: I don’t agree with some of her arguments in favor of Romney and against those who’d like a viable alternative to Romney, but Ann makes excellent arguments in favor of truly conservative positions – something none of the current presidential candidates, nor many legislative candidates, do consistently. Even Ron Paul goes a bit off the deep end with his imaginary, blame-America-first foreign policy ideas (Islam has wanted to destroy Jews and Christians for 1400 years. America wasn’t even discovered by the Christians yet). Coulter’s books are all meticulously researched and entertainingly written. All of you who haven’t read her latest, Demonic, missed out. The entire book is about the mob mentality of the left, and the book came out before OWS. Very prescient. You should read it.

Also, Ann is right about the destructiveness to the entire voting process if we have a brokered convention and someone – like Palin – got the nomination without going through the larger nomination process. Republicans get to vote for their nominee, and the votes are supposed to mean something. That’s one of the things that makes us different (better) than Democrats. Super delegates who get to override the votes of the people, anyone?

Finally, anyone who says Ann Coulter has an Adam’s apple instantly has zero credibility, and every one of their other opinions is worthless. Grow up.

iandelor on March 15, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I disagree with Ann as pertains to Mitt, but she ain’t done.

If she can make such a clear error, why listen to her further?

gdonovan on March 15, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Dun. D U N …
How will my [former] dream date respond when her boy Mittens is buried on Election day?
Who Cares
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ann “jumped the shark” for me about a year ago.

mechkiller_k on March 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Coulter on Palin and a brokered convention: Palin has CLOUT!

FIFY.

DannoJyd on March 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I like both Coulter and Palin – strong women who stand for what they believe in, though I find it pretty funny that Ann is accusing Sarah of being an attention seeker.

You don’t have to be a credentialed elitist to be good at policy or governing. Sarah has street smarts, is a good negotiator and has the core principles right – limited government, fiscal responsibility and personal responsibility. Those principles would guide her, like they did as governor, down the right road in contrast to the Harvard-educated boob in the WH who wanders around in intellectual minefields, trying to find his way.

inmypajamas on March 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

LevStrauss on March 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Can you educate us on Newt’s plan? More precisely, can you actually point which part of it is tax and spend?

Its not what is SAID in a campaign that matters, but what was DONE, ACTIONS wise. Please point us to when and where did Romney, Santorum and Paul actually CUT spending, list years and bills.

Derangement syndrom is in full force lately…

riddick on March 15, 2012 at 12:18 PM

inmypajamas on March 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Now you know why the RonMe syncophants are scared to death of Sarah. She would kick RINO RonMe to the curb in a heartbeat at a brokered convention and not break a sweat doing it.

DannoJyd on March 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM

First, I don’t “hate” Palin.

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM

She lives in your head and you hate her and are a jealous and petty female.

*waits for Prune’s head to explode*

SparkPlug on March 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM

bluegill,Jailbreak,Lourdes and VOICEOFCHID are ignorant people with more hatred for Sarah Palin than Obama. I hate those that attack Sarah Palin but I know the Ultimate Enemy is Barack Obama, which separates me from those idiot Romneybots and I deal in facts unlike that putz of VOICEOFCHID, Lourdes, and Jailbreak. The putz VOICEOFCHID opens his stupid mouth without knowing a man thing just like the typical Romneybot a-hole.

CoolChange80 on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 6:43 AM,
Yes you do. You attack her more than you do Obama, which makes you a PUTZ.

CoolChange80 on March 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ann Coulter and the Romneybots will destroy the Republican Party. There will be a Conservative Third Party if Romney is the nominee. If Sarah Palin is leading it Mitt Romney loses in a blood bath and finishes third like Taft.

CoolChange80 on March 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Ann Coulter always says something to get herself into the news, especially if she has another book coming out.

She and I have a different opinion about a brokered convention. Conventions are set up so that a nominee has to go through a process. If they can’t get the nomination through the primaries, then we have to have a way to nominate someone who can represent the party. “Brokered convention” are not nasty words. It’s just another step in the process.

As far as her rant against Sarah Palin, it’s kind of funny about someone who is an attention-seeker warning about other people who are attention-seekers.

Tennman on March 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Ann Coulter, you suck! I’d rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried sing a duet with Joanne Rivers than listen to you give your opinion. You are a real piece of dirt for shilling Romney and the establishment

apocalypse on March 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ha! I see the children are out in force:

Oh please. According to you, Palin is the reason we fight here on HotAir.
fossten on March 15, 2012 at 8:41 AM

What on earth are you talking about? Yes, she is very controversial. What does that have to do with my critical assessment of her (which has nothing to do with “hate”)? If I weren’t here do you think there would be no disagreements? What is your point?

So, let me sum up and point it out to you. You have been called a liberal plant here and now you say you agree with Coulter, who many of us now consider a sell out, a RINO.BLAH BLAH BLAH.
riddick on March 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hilarious. I’m a “liberal plant” now? Yep, me and Ann Coulter are liberals, while you and your comrades who can’t accept anything but 100% Palin adoration are “true conservatives”. How many “liberals” refer to Zero with disdain as the Marxist-in-Chief, Occupier-in-Chief, Gangster-in-Chief, a grifter, a hustler and so forth? Oh well, surely it’s you nap time now. No need to respond…

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Way to go Anne Skin’n Bones. Double down on failure.

You’ve got nowhere to go but down, and I mean waaaaaaaaaaay down.

Good luck with your next book. Maybe you can buy a few million of your own, like Hillary did…

SilverDeth on March 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Reloading?

Bmore on March 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM

DEMONIC !!! ..Ann Coulter’s voice makes me want to throw things

apocalypse on March 15, 2012 at 4:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Sure, but when they say Palin shouldn’t be involved because she’s not running for anything, she’s now just a political commentator who shouldn’t have a say because she’s not in the race… while being a poltiical commentator who is not in the race… are you seeing where I’m going here?

That’s funny… and not an “I’m laughing with you” kind of funny.

gekkobear on March 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Oh well, surely it’s you nap time now. No need to respond…

Buy Danish on March 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Some of us actually WORK for a living, idiot. Really doesn’t matter how YOU label yourself, it is your actions/posts that define you and well, nothing but RINO speak from you and that blond loud mouth, Rove, Rubio and a bunch of other sellouts. Can’t imagine how many IOUs Romney has written by now, there is no way in hell any administration can support so many posts. Yet another reason not to vote for Romney, as if by now the other 1 million reasons are not enough…

Carry on, you RINO troll.

riddick on March 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM

CoolChange80 on March 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

You are clearly mentally retarded.

VOICEOFCHID on March 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You are clearly mentally retarded.

VOICEOFCHID on March 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You sound really smart. Can you spare a tiny sample from the pea sized lump of vegetative matter lodged in your head?

SparkPlug on March 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

SparkPlug on March 15, 2012 at 6:57 PM

What was that sound? I think it was the Palin-tard call to prayer. Hurry up and get back to your Palin shrine before you miss your fifth and final required prayer for the day. BE QUICK!!!

VOICEOFCHID on March 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Give me a long contentious battle to the convention and maybe even 4 more years of the venal left. We got the Tea Party didn’t we? And look at the Soledad O’Brien unmasking MM did. And now Ann Coulter has been outed as a elitist, pragmatist, rino who advocates theocracy as long as it’s on the state level. The heat is making things interesting. More heat!

WyattsTorch on March 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM

You tell ‘em Coulter.

This reminds me, I saw Dick Morris on Hannity a couple nights ago, and Morris repeatedly pointed out that nominating Romney gives us the best chance to win. It was funny to watch Hannity repeatedly try to change the subject.

netster007x on March 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM