Obligatory: We need to talk about that “Walking Dead” episode last night

posted at 10:17 pm on March 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

I didn’t think they’d have the guts to do it. Unloading Deadweight Dale is one thing but where does the show go now that its one and only interesting character is gone? We never even got to see a real Shane rampage. I thought the last five or six episodes were simply a prelude to him snapping, grabbing a shotgun, and taking out Lori, Glenn, T-Dog, Herschel, and ideally every other dull/annoying character on the show. Instead he got a knife in the gut from Mr. Rogers. Take it from a beta male, my friends: Ain’t no way Sheriff Rick could out-alpha-male Shane. That’s less likely than the zombie apocalypse.

EW has a nice interview with actor Jon Bernthal about having to leave a show (and cast) he grew to love. Three points to ponder as the “Walking Dead” fan base mourns and regroups. One: If Rick ‘n the crew are so paranoid about being discovered by Randall’s gang, why on earth are they driving around the farm unnecessarily? Engine noise is probably the surest way that they’d be detected. Two: Where’d all the zombies in the woods come from at the very end of last night’s episode? You’re lucky to see one “walker” around the farm in each show this season and yet suddenly, at the precise moment Shane is liquidated, they’re streaming into the field? I’ve got nothing against a convenient plot device but work for it a little. Three: How exactly is the zombie “virus” transmitted? I’ve always assumed that it takes a bite or scratch from a zombie, but obviously I’m wrong. Neither Shane nor Randall was bitten or scratched; in fact, a few episodes ago, Shane noted that the two zombie cops he and Rick killed appeared to have no bites on them. Clearly it’s airborne and everyone’s infected, with the “virus” lying latent until the moment of death. But in that case … what’s up with the bites and scratches? It’s part of zombie lore that no one recovers from one of those; if the undead draw blood, you’re finished. Bites are always fatal — and yet, evidently, they’re not the means through which the virus is passed on. That’s odd, no? I can suspend my disbelief enough to accept the possibility of a global zombie armageddon, but dammit, I want the science to add up.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

While I watch the show every week, I have been reading the comic book for years. Like everything that gets converted from a print medium to the screen whether large or small, it pales in comparison to the original. There are huge differences (Sophie lives, the storyline of the farm is radically different, Carl kills a living Shane to protect his dad… he really is a tough little kid who is forced to grow up way to fast(not coddled as much) and a lot of the characters that are on the show are vastly different in temperament or don’t exist like Darryl and T-Dog)

It really is much better than the show.

Wolftech on March 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM

There is a big open farm and no one built any fortifications, why?

Africanus on March 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Yeah, I was wondering why they didn’t have an alarm system, multiple fences, maybe a moat, something they could use to make a fire barrier, multiple towers for spotting, maybe an escape tunnel, etc.

Blake on March 12, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Allah, “The Governor” is coming next season. If you’re interested, look up who that is. Hint: it’s not Ahnold.

As to what the virus is, I’ve speculated – I don’t read the comics – that it’s man made, a reanimation experiment gone wrong. Your body could successfully fight off small doses of the virus. A large dose, however, would overwhelm your immune system. Once you die, your immune system fails and even a small amount of the the virus quickly takes over.

As to who created it, I’d imagine it was some Doctor or Bog Pharma who was trying to eliminate Obamacare. You know how evil and money grubbing Doctors and Big Pharma are. If only the French had managed to survive a little longer – remember the CDC episode – they might have saved us from Bourgeois Capitalist selves. It’s possible that the series will end with an enlightened French scientist finding a cure for us. God bless those hardy, courageous Frenchmen. /sarc

Gladtobehere on March 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

The show has tons of faults, but at least the last few weeks have been watchable. After last seasons’s horribleness, I know that doesn’t say much…

catmman on March 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Allah Pundit said:

You bite your tongue, AP! Daryl Dixon is an interesting character, and his brother Merle will probably return, and he’s interesting.

AP said:

I don’t know about this Alpha/Beta male stuff, but I much prefer Rick to Shane. Rick keeps cool, rational, and compassionate, even under extreme stress.

(Also, Rick sometimes did stuff that Shane was too chicken or whatever to do, such as shoot that little Sophia girl after she turned into a zombie.)

Shane was selfish and a little of a sociopath. Shane believes that other people are expendable. If you were in danger, Rick would save your butt, not Shane.

I’m sad to see actor Jon Bernthal go, but his Shane character was more often than not too violent… and for pete’s sake, he was going to kill Rick to steal Rick’s wife and kids!

Dude was not packing a full sea bag, or he was kind of evil.

AP said:

They’ve been introducing more and more zombies into the area for the past few episodes, haven’t you noticed?

They gradually built up more and more zombies in the town by the farm (where Glenn and Maggie went to the Pharmacy and Rick later went to a bar to retrieve Hershel).

Notice the first trip Glenn and Maggie took to the Pharm, there were zero zombies. On their second trip, there was one in the Pharm that went after Maggie (Glenn killed it).

Around that time, Shane drove Andrea to a subdivision a little down the road from the farm, and there were lots of suburban zombies there.

By the time Rick and Glenn went back to town to the bar an episode or two later, there were lots more Walkers in town.

Recall from an earlier ep. too that the zombies migrate in “herds” (the scene where the zombies shambled down the highway, and the group had to hide beneath cars).

Recall Shane looking out of the car window as Rick drove them around, and he saw a zombie walking by itself down the road, in a field.

The zombies don’t just stay fixed in one location.

The show’s writers also mentioned in the past 2 or 3 eps, that the pond/water/swamp around the farm is freezing over, permitting easier access for the zombies to come on to the farm property. They even made a point of having Hershel say this the last ep, he was like “now that the swamp is hardening, it’s making it easier for the walkers to get on the farm”

Also, his cattle fence around the property broke, which probably also made it easier for the Walkers to get on the farm.

Someone else said,

Rick didn’t kill Shane. His wife did.

Mark1971 on March 12, 2012 at 10:22 PM

In a manner of speaking, you’re right. If she had kept her mouth shut and not approached Shane and gave him that little speech she did (where she even said “the baby might be yours”), he might not have snapped and planned to kill Rick.

TigerPaw on March 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Here’s what I don’t get: Shane killed Randall by breaking his neck…so wouldn’t Randall have been a quadriplegic zombie, or does the infection fix severed nerve endings?

rammerjammer on March 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Did Shane die and become a zombie? Does a shot to the head “kill” a zombie? I don’t watch the show but I love reading AP’s posts on it!

ellifint on March 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Yes, Rick stabbed Shane, and Shane died then came back just a short time later as a Walker (zombie), and Rick’s son Carl shot zombie Shane in the head.

If only he and Rick had killed each other. ..

deepdiver on March 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

No! I like Sheriff Rick.

TigerPaw on March 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM

rammerjammer on March 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Did you see the episode where Glenn and Maggie are in the Pharmacy, a zombie tries to kill/bite Maggie, Glenn uses a machete/knife on the zombie but doesn’t cleanly get the head totally off the zombie, and the zombie still staggers around trying to kill them, although its head is hanging off at a 90 degree angle by a tiny bit of flesh?

Apparently, if you don’t completely remove the head or blast the brain to bits, their bodies can still move around and chase the living.

TigerPaw on March 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The swamp was protecting at least one side of the farm. It is drying up so now the walkers can get in.

The guy at the CDC in Atlanta told them they were all infected. He tested them and stated they were all exposed and useless for his research. These are the first ‘unbitten’ deaths where they stuck around to see the bodies move. As for bites killing, that is apparently an unrelated malady.

Freddy on March 12, 2012 at 11:56 PM

BTW, the best explanation as to why Zombies travel in herds is this.

Gladtobehere on March 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM

This may be the case that everyone is infected, but did ya notice that the multitude of corpses (not dead walkers) on the highway had head injuries that didn’t look like the result of being some walker’s midnight snack?

More to come, and soon…

john1schn on March 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I don’t know about that. I read an interview with a writer of the show, he said all the dead people on the highway from that one episode won’t be turning into zombies because they either suffered major head trauma in the car pile up (if the brain is damaged, the person cannot reanimate and become a Walker).

He said if you watch the rerun closely, that you can see that some of the dead on the highway had been shot in the head by other survivors before Rick’s group came across that section of highway.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Wow! Isn’t this one going whole hog! Sofar, the CDC episode has been the most informative in terms of explaining things that are unfolding. Also in terms of planting seeds for new story arcs.

I’m referring to the episode where Dr. Jennings allows them into the CDC building. In that episode, Jennings explains a bit about the zombie pathology. Interestingly, as I recall, he makes no claim to knowing whether it’s a virus, or a bacteria, or what. What he does know is that zombification occurs anywhere between 3 minutes and 8 hours after death.

The big mystery is what on earth did he whisper into Ricks ear? I have a theory. When he lets the group into the building he insists on blood testing everybody. We see him testing Rick’s pregnant wife, Lori. I’m guessing the whispering was about her blood test results…something more than just “hey, she’s pregnant!”

Aside from that, I’ll go along with what others are saying…it’s an airborne virus…everybody’s infected…bites and scratches accelerate the road to zombieism(?).

Tomolena1 on March 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Excellent episode but sad to see Shane go.

Now if they really want to make the show better they will deal with the oncoming horde of zombies by tying Lori to a post out front and then have everyone else make a break for it out the back door.

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

What just because she is trying to convince Rick to kill Shane and then within apparently a few days she tries to be all nicey-nice with him?

///

CW on March 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM

At first glance, it does look that way, but I read an article with the writers about how Dale’s death impacted the members of the group, and the writer said with Lori, Dale’s final stand and comments about things, and his death, made Lori realize she needs to confront problems head on, be nicer to people, blah blah blah, and that was the impetus behind her playing nicey with Shane.

I kind of understand why she did it, but I don’t think she realized just how very mentally unstable/ dangerous/ jealous (whatever) he was. She should have just left Shane be, not brought up any of those topics.

You’ll notice Rick was trying to keep Shane at arm’s length from himself, Lori, and everyone else in the last episode. Rick began turning to T-Dog and Daryl more instead.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

MEET THE GOVERNOR (he appears in first episode of Season 3):

I will miss Shane, too. IMO, Jon Bernthal, deserves a best actor Emmy for his portrayal of Shane. He really acted the hell out of that character. Bernthal’s best scene was the melt down leading up to the zombie barn massacre.

This show is awesome. Sure, it doesn’t make sense all of the time but it’s a Zombie Apocalypse for heaven’s sake. It’s fiction, people. Unless Obama gets another 4 years, then all bets are off.

SheVee on March 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Take it from a beta male, my friends: Ain’t no way Sheriff Rick could out-alpha-male Shane.”

True. That part of it all is the “writer” wishcasting how the world should be. Reality: Shane would have shot Rick as soon as he asked, “WHHHYYYY??” Wouldn’t have been as entertaining in a fiction sense, but so it goes.

Shane should have gone off and joined that renegade crew 5 miles away.

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM

LMAO….

Lori would be tops on my list too.

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Everyone else is in some kind of Rick-worship mode even though he showed up weeks after they had a functional survival group and needed to be saved because he stupidly thought itd be smart to go in the opposite direction OF AN ENTIRE HIGHWAY OF STALLED CARS.

But whatever, Shane is the (super hot) bad guy or whatever. And Dale, UGH,

libfreeordie on March 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

No, not everyone is into Rick worship mode.

Daryl may respect Rick a little, but Daryl acts like he can take Rick or leave him (he told Dale an epsido ago, “Rick turns to Shane, he doesn’t need me”).

Andrea has been so influenced by Shane that she now acts a bit like him, and she has been challenging Rick, criticizing Rick.

Other characters have from one episode to another told Rick his decisions are stupid or wrong, Carol spent some time blaming Rick for her daughter’s death, etc. Hershel kept blaming Rick for his group’s misbheavior (Shane, Daryl taking a horse without asking permission).

As for super hotness… Shane was not bad looking, but Rick and Daryl aren’t hard on the eyes, either.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Shane should have gone off and joined that renegade crew 5 miles away.

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:06 AM

You mean the group that (as Randall said, he used to be in their group) rapes teen girls for kicks and giggles and thinks that’s okay?

They were going to kill Rick and steal the farm from Hershel.

So are you serious? They’re evil.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

ellifint on March 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM

If only he and Rick had killed each other. ..
deepdiver on March 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

No! I like Sheriff Rick.

TigerPaw on March 12, 2012 at 11:52 PM

~~~~~~~~~

TigerPaw, thanks so much for answering me! Ive read a lot of what you and others have written, and I think I want to read the comics! Maybe then I can try to watch the show (til then I’ll read it vicariously through you all!).

ellifint on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Forgive my ignorance…I’ve only seen one episode so clearly I don’t know much about the show. I hear from all fans of the show that Lori is really annoying…can anyone fill me in on why they think she’s annoying? The one episode that I did see didn’t show much of her so I wasn’t able to find out too much about the character.

GOPRanknFile on March 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I don’t hate Lori, but I think I can see how others find her annoying. I think you’d really have to watch all of seasons 1 and 2 for yourself to see it. It’s kind of hard to explain.

Another character on the show (Andrea) finds Lori annoying and chewed her out a few episodes ago.

I think part of the audience’s annoyance with Lori is that Lori won’t take responsibility for herself or the choices she makes, or she’s self absorbed.

She had an affair with Shane at one point, when she thought Rick was dead. When Rick came back, she began treating Shane like dirt.

Lori doesn’t keep close tabs on her son (Carl), and as a result, he keeps getting into trouble, or creating trouble for other people in their group which puts their lives at risk.

She also spends a lot of time complaining to Rick about their living conditions, like, “Rick you can’t let Hershel kick us off the farm.” That went on for a few eps. She kept nagging Rick to argue Hershel into letting them stay.

On the last show, Rick was like, “We can stay in the barn for winter,” and she was like, “No, ask Hershel if we can stay in the house.”

So she comes across as entitled at times. Maybe that’s another reason why people find her annoying.

She had Glenn ad Maggie risk their lives to go on a drug store run, she requested they bring her pills. (But Glenn did offer to go.)

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

They were going to kill Rick and steal the farm from Hershel.

So are you serious? They’re evil.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I take your point. To be honest, I’m kind of glad Shane is dead. I never liked the character. As much as Rick’s overly conscientious nature annoys me, Shane’s redneck impression annoyed me more (not saying that type of person doesn’t exist, it’s just grating after awhile).

I meant from a storytelling point of view it would have made more sense, assuming you keep Shane, for him to join the group of socio-paths; a group more his speed. And then set up a potential confrontation between the two groups next season.

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

But whatever, Shane is the (super hot) bad guy or whatever. And Dale, UGH,

libfreeordie on March 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

woh, woh woh, lib…I think you have your priorities screwy here, so I’m going to set you straight.

You should like Rick and Dale. They’re the most bleeding-heart liberal characters on the show. Shane is the neocon of the show. And Darryl and Andrea represent the more libertarian personas of the group.

Agree/disagree?

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

ellifint on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

You are very welcome! It’s one of my favorite shows, which is why I’m all over the Walking Dead threads here at Hot Air the last month or two. :o

As for your question in your previous post (which was, “Does a shot to the head “kill” a zombie?), I think I forgot to answer it in my last post.

So far, the answer seems to be yes, a shot to the brain kills the walkers… but it doesn’t have to be a shot to the head.

Anything that destroys the brain works.

In the last episode, for example, Andrea shoved a pitch fork through the brain of one Walker, which killed it.

Daryl Dixon usually uses crossbow bolts in the heads of the Walkers, which also works. I’ve seen other characters use shovels and other implements on the heads of walkers, and those things work too.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

The Governor is going to be on next season. Check him out in the comics

Also last season Jenner of the CDC whispered something in Rick’s ear. It was supposedly to tell him that they were all infected.

LurkerDood on March 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Remember the guy Darrell and Andrea found last fall who gave up and hanged himself WITHOUT HAVING been bit, and he just reanimated as a walker in the noose hanging above the ground.

Teacher in Tejas on March 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Actually, if you remember, the note said ‘got bit’ before ‘world gone to…’ (rhyming).

James on March 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Oh, I see what you’re saying now. In that context, yes, I agree. Sorry. I misunderstood your previous post.

As much as Rick’s overly conscientious nature annoys me…

I’m a lot like Rick in real life. If I were in his place, I’d behave the same exact way. :o)

Agree/disagree?

shannon76 on March 13, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I’m a Christian and a conservative, but I don’t view Rick as being a liberal guy. He can be a conservative, but one who believes in showing compassion and mercy to even his enemies and not just going off like a hot head, which is right in line with Christianity.

Rick was pretty stone cold when he shot those two thugs in that bar (the ones from Philly who were saying they were going to kill Hershel and steal the farm).

Rick is not the pansy folks make him out to be, he’s tough when it’s called for…

Also recall the episode where Rick confronted Shane on the high way, and was telling Shane he wanted to beat someone senseless (I can’t remember who Rick was referring to), but Rick said “Shane, it took me everything to hold back and not pummel so and so. Do not mistake that for weakness.”

I’m with Rick on that. I see this in real life quite often- so many people (usually bullies) have this very, very mistaken notion that just because you don’t go all violent, angry, and nasty when others are nasty to you that you are weak. Not so.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Jenner told Rick that the virus is airborne, Rick didn’t want to let the news out because he didn’t want to panic everyone (Kirkman has already confirmed this) . We should see Rick reveal that in the next episode.

ShadowsPawn on March 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Are you for sure on that? Last interview I saw with someone from the show just the other day (maybe Kirkmak, I don’t remember exactly), the person interviewed was asked that very question, but he remained vague about exactly what the CDC guy whispered to Rick, and was like, “You will just have to keep watching the show to find out.”

Also, if Rick already knew the virus (or whatever it is) is air born, why did Rick express confusion/ bewilderment when he and Shane were looking at the dead police bodies in that parking lot?

Rick seemed just as lost as Shane that neither zombie cop body had bites on it.

If Rick already knew it was air borne, one would think he would not have acted perplexed over the dead zombie cop bodies not having bite marks or scratches.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Dude. Andrea is smoking hot. She’s gorgeous.

Kensington on March 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM

The actress who plays the role (Laurie Holden) is also very nice.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Moreover, why did Rick turn his back on a corpse (Shane) he knew would turn into a zombie at any moment?

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

On a moment’s further reflection, Rick does many stupid and unexplainable things in this series so this could just be another for the list. I withdraw the above point.

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I hope I’m not annoying the rest of you here by my frequent posting on the ‘Walking Dead’ threads, but it is one of my favorite shows, and I enjoy talking about it, especially with other Hot Air readers. I am having a lot of fun chatting in these threads. :o)

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Yeah, that too.

Even if Rick did not know for sure, if you’re in the zombie apocalypse and have seen all the weird stuff he has, you would think just to be safe, he’d would’ve bashed the dead guy’s head in any way!

Kind of like in those “Scream” movies, where Sydney shoots the dead villain several times in the head in a row just to make sure (because you know in scary movies the dead villain always springs to life one last time).

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

One minor point from the last show that bothered me: after the kid (Carl) stole Daryl’s gun from the motorcycle, he tells Shane about it, gives it to Shane, and Shane gives it to Rick and tells him, “Carl took this from Daryl,” and Rick then gives it right back to him.

Wouldn’t you mention to Daryl, “Here’s you gun. I’m sorry, but my son took it. Would it be okay if my son keeps this?”

Cut to a later scene where Daryl says to someone else, “And I can’t find my gun, I wish I knew where it was!”

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Allow me to explain, you see Shane is, in their reality, the weaker of the two men. He always takes the easy road, he works a lot off emotion and is the one who is really cracking up under the pressure. All his talk of Rick being weak is really just projection, Shane is the weak and smaller man and Rick finally putting his rabid a$s down proves who the real man was in the end.

My two cents.

Alinsky on March 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Yeah, that too.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Airborne virus they are all infected with and that lies dormant until death does made the most sense. The information would have to be something the CDC would know and if you remember the episode they all gave blood samples that Jenner said was just an old habit dying hard. It’s a TV show so the writers inserted that line and those tests for a reason, and the testing wasn’t mentioned again after that. The only things that make sense to me given what’s happened that Jenner knew would be Lori’s pregnancy and the possibility that every sample showed signs of latent infection. Rick seemed surprised when Lori said she was pregnant and it’s well past the point in the plot that Rick revealing he learned that a little while earlier would have any impact so unless I’m missing something, Jenner probably told them they’re all zombies eventually.

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Bruno Strozek on March 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM

tv-links.eu

vermin on March 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

My two cents.

Alinsky on March 13, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Those are very good points.

I think Shane was the weaker of the two men.

I think too many people confuse macho posturing and tough guy talk for being tough/ cool/ macho/ alpha, and that is not necessarily so.

It takes far more fortitude and mental strength to keep cool under pressure as Rick does (and think things through, to extend mercy to enemies, etc) than just go off beating up on every one and anyone and so on like Shane did.

I also saw two interviews with a show writer who said that Shane’s actions were motivated – not by tough guyism – but out of fear.

The guy was scared to death to die (and maybe scared Lori might die), and that’s why he would go off half-cocked.

Rick might feel afraid at times, but he still keeps a level head (usually, or far more than Shane).

Even if you don’t always agree with all of Rick’s decisions, at least he’s trying to stay collected, humane, and rational.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 1:20 AM

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM

You might be right, but as I said above, even episodes later, after the ep with the CDC guy, Rick still shows amazement/ confusion/ puzzlement that people are zombies even though they have no bite marks or wounds.

If Rick already knew that everyone is a zombie or is infected, why would he show confusion/ puzzlement at people turning to zombies sans zombie bite marks, as he did with the two zombie cops in the parking lot?

After he and Shane killed the zombie cops, Rick examined their bodies and said to Shane, “But I don’t see any bites or scratch marks, so how did they turn into walkers?”

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

If you listed carefully, it sounded like Rick was just trying to throw Shane off that little tidbit of information, he didn’t want to deal with Shane revealing it.

As far as Rick being a wimp, the entire series is to show how the characters change and react to the situation, Rick is changing, you could tell in the way that he talked to Carl in the last episode. In the comic series, its a couple of years down the line and he is practically Shane-like now. He’s still got his sense of honor, but he definitely adapts. Give it time, its a story that has to unfold..

ShadowsPawn on March 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM

In the movie 28 Days Later, didn’t the virus spread through any contact with the blood of someone infected??? So maybe that’s the angle they are going for here, not airborne but if zombie bloods gets on a open cut or in your mouth, ect. you become infected.

opustx on March 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

They aren’t technically “zombies” in the 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks Later. In that series are the “zombies” are actually people that are still alive, they’re infected by something similar to rabies.

Jurisprudence on March 13, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I still can’t believe they killed Shane off in the second season. The tension between Rick, Shane and Lori has been part of the glue holding the show together so far. I can’t imagine the direction it’s going to take now. New character(s) introduced?

jan3 on March 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Just my calculated guess, but the season is going to end with a rival group showing up in time to “save” Rick’s group. The first two seasons have basically milked all the drama and short-term character arcs.

New characters need to be introduced to bring new conflict and storylines.

By the way, can we add a spoiler feature to the comments, where is would block out information unless it is highlighted.

Jurisprudence on March 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Thank you very much for your response! Much appreciated! :)

GOPRanknFile on March 13, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Shane killed himself. If he’d wanted Rick dead, he’d have shot him without discussing it, like he killed Randall without any discussion as soon as he had him where he wanted him.

Instead he taunted Rick to goad him into forgetting their friendship long enough to kill. Rick would never have decided on his own to do away with Shane, and Shane couldn’t live with knowing that Lori viewed him as an object of pity. As he said, Rick’s return destroyed everything he thought he had: a wife, a son, a reason to live.

And Lori telling him she might be carrying his child forced him to choose – between raising his child or letting Rick do it. Whatever he might have said to the contrary, he knew that Rick would be the better father… if only because Rick isn’t going insane, as he knew himself to be.

stuiec on March 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

The setup they did last week – Carl realizing that not taking action could have dire future consequences, specifically, Dale being killed by the walker that Carl didn’t shoot – could have been followed up, but I guess they didn’t see the possibility… or didn’t want to go down that road….

I half expected this week that Randall would be found mysteriously dead in his shackles, executed, and no one would know who did it, but everyone blames everyone else, until at the end of the episode Carl admits doing it because Randall was a danger to the group.

The setup was there. That would have been some major drama.

Russ on March 13, 2012 at 3:07 AM

The minute you introduce zombies and dead people into the show is the minute I tune out. That said, I love these cable dramas: The Closer, Breaking Bad, The Killing, Hell on Wheels, Mad Men, Southland, Monk, Burn Notice, Fairly Legal, Breakout Kings, Sons of Anarcy, The Glades.

Heck, the only network show I watch anymore is Person of Interest. But I can’t tell you how disappointed that AMC’s Rubicon, Fox’s Lights Out, and Fox’s Terriers found no following.

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM

You watch too much television, Allah.

zoyclem on March 13, 2012 at 7:20 AM

This was a strong B+ Episode. The ending was fantastic. It leaves questions unanswered (how zombification takes place) and sets up a huge conflict for the season finale. Even the zombie flashes as SHane was lying there dad were awesome, kinda like zombificaton from the corpses point of view.

Even the opening was great. The combination of Rick’s eulogy for Dale switching back and forth with the hunting party was cool, and a zombie pitchforkin’ is definitely something they need more of. The T-Dog/Tyrese hammer shoutout was interesting for readers of the comic too.

Unfortunately, they followed up a strong opening with Lori talking. This episode definitely would have been on of the best, except they let Lori talk. I used to be rooting for the zombies to get her, but I’m sure that if she did come back she’d just complain about how no one cares about her feelings and zombie life is ooooooo so tough and she’s worried that Rick is out killing other zombies instead of paying attention to her…God, I hate her.

Also-if you’re watching, follow along with the story sync website. It’s pretty cool, especially the zombie kill gore meter…

PetecminMd on March 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I have a thing for Sarah Wayne Callies, going back to Prison Break, so I’m partial to her (though knowing the future of her character makes me a bit sad). I can see why people don’t like her though.

The episode was great, and that last scene between the two men was terrific acting. I guess TV Shane last longer than comic book Shane. I didn’t like the character, but loved the acting and I guess the actors there are really close. Also, the actor has another gig coming up so sorta had to go.

I don’t know if this is spoiler-ish or not so forewarned: Apparently in a cool little twist of words the term Walking Dead doesn’t really refer to the zombies but rather the rest of them, those still alive. Everyone is infected and everyone will turn into a zombie short of getting a shot to the head. So the walking dead are really live people who just haven’t gotten zombified yet. I think that is what the Big Whisper is.

Darksean on March 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Great episode, great series. I try not to think to hard when watching TV, I just let it entertain me. If I want to work for my entertainment I will pick up a copy of Bleak House. I think this season has been pretty good, except for annoying self absorbed Lorie. I think Andrea and Daryl are my two favorite characters. I believe they are the most realistic out of the group. I wanted to slap Glen when Maggie told him to put his stuff up in here room and he declined, what a douche. He needs to get his mojo back.

gator70 on March 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM

gator70 on March 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM

+a frillion

Darksean on March 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Maybe it’s just me. Does anybody who watches this show remember that the first zombie killed was a little girl? A child? It doesn’t matter that she was portrayed as a zombie, it was still a depiction of a child getting shot in the head. Does this not bother anyone? Does it make it ok because she was portrayed as a zombie? Maybe next time they have a terrible scene like this, the child won’t be a zombie. Would you still watch it then?

That’s why I won’t watch it. They could have made it “edgy” without starting it off like that. Shame on you.

jehowe2nd on March 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I’d have to watch that scene again, but I thought it was the other way around. Didn’t Shane notice that they didn’t have bites and point it out to Rick?
I thought Rick responded by saying it must be the scratches.

Like I said, I would need to see that scene again, but if it went down the way I remember it, then perhaps Rick was throwing out the scratches as some half-assed theory rather than reveal what he knew.

In the first episode of Season 2, Rick mentioned that the Dr. told him something but that “it doesn’t matter now,” or something to that effect. If he already knows that everyone is infected, maybe he is keeping it to himself rather than destroy everyone’s hope. That would be in keeping with his character.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM

gator70 on March 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Darksean on March 13, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Nope, even after the end of the world, integrity means something.

cozmo on March 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Shame on you.

jehowe2nd on March 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Sing it sister!

They get the apocalypse all wrong. The apocalypse will bring about harmony and skittle pooping unicorns.

cozmo on March 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM

jehowe2nd on March 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I can understand why some people might find this troubling, but it really was used as part of the dramatic effect of Rick waking up in the new zombie world.

It wasn’t just gratuitous shooting of a child for shock value. The way the scene played out was that Rick was looking for gas, and he saw the little girls feet under the car. Ever the helpful policeman, he walked up behind her and asked her if she was OK…at which point she turned around, let out the zombie rasp and started towards him.

Remember that up to that point, Rick had only seen two humans (Morgan and Duane) since waking up in the hospital. He was reaching out to someone he felt was in the same situation he was, and then was faced with the horror of his situation. That first episode was really an exploration of Rick’s humanity in the face of this overwhelming horror he woke up into. It had nothing to do with the show trying to be ‘edgy’.

The first season was written really well, and it’s a shame that they got rid of Darabont. His storytelling was brilliant. Can you tell I took way too many literary criticism classes in college?

PetecminMd on March 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Allah,

In the immortal words of Dr. FrankenSTEEN…

“My grandfather’s work was DOO-DOO!”

No science about reanimating dead tissue, and having it for some reason crave the flesh of the living, will ever add up.

CoolCzech on March 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Between Shane and Rick, I think Shane – while mentally unstable – was the more “street-smart” of the two. Shane was right to want to execute Randall because as we saw after Shane released him, Randall dropped the innocent demeanor and even said something to the effect of, “You’re gonna get along fine with this group, and we can get a little crazy at times…”. Shane saw right through Randall from the beginning. Had Rick gotten his way and actually allowed Randall to live free on the farm at some point, clearly it would’ve turned ugly fast.

Rick still wants to assume that everyone he comes in contact with in a post-apocalyptic world still has some good nature in them. That is a mental mistake that will ultimately get you killed in real life, especially when it’s in the form of a slack-jawed fat boy in a derby with a South Philly accent carrying a shotgun who still doesn’t possess the common decency to take a leak outside (and probably never did, that guy was the stereotypical Eages fan). Being from the Philadelphia suburbs, if a slob like that ever walks up on me pretending to want to smoke a peace pipe, he’s gonna eat .44 Magnum from my Taurus Raging Bull.

Regarding that bar scene from a few weeks ago, I was so surprised when those two Philly boys didn’t break out at least one “E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!” chant. Eagles fans don’t have to be at an Eagles game or watching an Eagles game to do it. I’ve seen it happen in bars in the middle of Summer. So depressing. Some day I’ll find a job in Myrtle Beach…

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Allah Pundit: Take it from a beta male, my friends: Ain’t no way Sheriff Rick could out-alpha-male Shane.

So tell me AP when does being a nut case make you an “alpha male”? All this beta/alpha male crap is nothing but that CRAP! Yes a person like Rick could kill that nut job Shane just like he did & quick draw on two scum bags in a bar to boot!

I agree with several of the comments on the comic books & they are MUCH better, not to mention that Shane should have died in the 1st season! (glad that character is gone).

Confederate on March 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The increasing zombie presence was hinted at by the show’s pre-credits intro as well as Herschel saying that the creek bed is drying up from the colder weather (which is why everyone was moved into the house).

And now you know why the comic is called The Walking Dead. Everyone is infected (as far as they know), which helps set this zombie story apart from others. Zombie bites just somehow speed up the process.

I’m relieved the spoilers are out of the bag, most readers of the comic know Shane died long before this in the story. It was very much like they did it in the show, except that Carl shoots Shane in the neck when he sees him pointing a gun at his Dad. It’s a shame because the show missed out on one of the best lines in the comic:

Carl (crying): “It wasn’t the same as shooting the dead ones, Dad.”
Rick: “It never should be, son.”

Then much later they discover that it doesn’t take a zombie bite to become a zombie and Rick digs up Shane’s body just to shoot it in the head haha. I was looking forward to that in the show, but alas, guess that’ll never happen.

No spoilers here, but if they follow the comics, next season should introduce a bunch of new characters, including two or three I’m very much looking forward to. *cough*Michonne, Tyreese, The Governor*cough*

This site’s discussion is so refreshing compared to aintitcool.com’s.

jdespirito on March 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Rick still wants to assume that everyone he comes in contact with in a post-apocalyptic world still has some good nature in them. That is a mental mistake that will ultimately get you killed in real life, especially when it’s in the form of a slack-jawed fat boy in a derby with a South Philly New York accent carrying a shotgun who still doesn’t possess the common decency to take a leak outside (and probably never did, that guy was the stereotypical Eagles fan). Being from the Philadelphia suburbs, if a slob like that ever walks up on me pretending to want to smoke a peace pipe, he’s gonna eat .44 Magnum from my Taurus Raging Bull.

While that scene was great, those two were about as Philly as the Carnegie Deli. The accent was hardly South Philly or Southwest Philly or Northeast Philly or even South Jersey.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Since movies can no longer have Indians, Nazis, Commies, Japs, Normans, Saxons, Vikings etc as the bad guys we are left with aliens and zombies.

If society falls any group not “your” group, is the enemy.

barnone on March 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM

South Philly, Northeast Philly, New York…all the same to me.

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

South Philly, Northeast Philly, New York…all the same to me.

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That’s like saying accents are all the same in the south.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

The show mentioned that the swamps around the farm were drying up. In fact, at the show’s open, we saw a bunch of zombies getting killed. They also mentioned the fact that the cows would basically be a zombie buffet.

hawksruleva on March 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If society falls any group not “your” group, is the enemy.

barnone on March 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Or bad Martians. John Carter was AWESOME, and it was nice that the green guys weren’t automatically the bad guys.

hawksruleva on March 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

T-Dogg spoke in this episode!

hawksruleva on March 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

T-Dogg spoke in this episode!

And when he did he said “Aw HELL no!” Thanks, writers!

jdespirito on March 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I still say the cow turned into a zombie. I believe it’s eyes were grey when Carl looked at it’s face. A clear indication the zombification (if that’s a word) had taken place.

Zaire67 on March 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Actually, Shane lasted a LOT longer than he did in the graphic novels. Still sorry to see him go. As to the number of zombies now closing in on the farm, I’m going to assume that the larger cities have run out of zombie food (us) and are branching out. And, of course, they are drawn to the never-ending noise coming from the farmhouse. I know, it’s kinda weak, but I’m going to go with it anyway, What did the CDC guy whisper to Rick? That the zombie virus is in everyone? I think so. If you die and your brain is still undamaged, you come back. Blood spatter, knives with zombie blood on them, open scratches? Who cares? If you die, you go zombie. I know, I know. We saw dozens of dead people in their cars who obviously hadn’t turned. Saw an interview with Robert Kirkman and he said if you looked closely, all those bodies in their cars had head trauma. This Sunday’s ep looks like non-stop action. Bring it on!

Xyz22 on March 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

That’s like saying accents are all the same in the south.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM

“South Philly accent?! Why…that wasn’t even a South Jersey accent! I’d rather die – DIE! – than sit here having people duped into thinking that fat slob’s accent was from South Philly! I must right this wrong immediately…”

Well done, Sir. You’ve won the most pointless argument ever.

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Funny a scratch or the least bite results in death, but you can mash zombies all day with sledge hammers and tongs, getting sprayed with zombie juice in the process, and nothing happens.

The number of zombies makes no sense, unless the virus is airborne. And there would have to be transmission and death from that alone. But now we are descending into comic book beta geekdom.

Mr. Joe on March 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

If the whole bunch is infected as many have suggested, then what happened to Dale who obviously didn’t become a walker? Either Daryl shot him in the head (we don’t know about that) or they’re not all infected.

Since they killed Shane off, I’m finished with this show. He was the only interesting character except for Daryl. The rest of them? I don’t care if the zombies get them all. Yawn. It’s time to quit. The Game of Thrones is much more interesting, anyway.

Samantha on March 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Well done, Sir. You’ve won the most pointless argument ever.

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Wasn’t really arguing, too-cool-for-the-room guy.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Samantha on March 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Dale was still alive Daryl put him out of his misery.

alchemist19 on March 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

So the walkers obviously decay. Whatever this bug is, isn’t like Solanum (from WW Z) where even microbes die if they try to consume infected tissue. My guess is the virus (and, you know, death) alters zombie tissue to the point where it harbors some really awful naturally occurring bacteria, and bite/scratch victims’ death comes from bacteremia (think Komodo dragons, before we found out they’re also venomous).

Still wouldn’t explain how a fresh one could infect you, though.

DrSteve on March 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM

T-Dogg spoke in this episode!

And when he did he said “Aw HELL no!” Thanks, writers!

jdespirito on March 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

He gave that line and then followed it up with a little soft-shoe number with a toothy grin on his face. Thanks, white writers.

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Spoiler alert for the post’s photo & sub-heading!

The Hort on March 13, 2012 at 2:53 PM

You all talk about Laurie (being pathetic and psycho) and you haven’t even paid attention to the story.

Shane told Laurie that Rick was dead, at the beginning and at the apocalypse. Rick remembered being in a haze and seeing Shane in his hospital room. Thus, Shane knew that Rick was still alive. The falsehood in this is that the hospital would not contact the family, but only leave it his deputy. Then Shane & Rick had the talk in the woods – how much of a ‘womanizer’ Shane was. And how Rick wasn’t.

Shane was jealous and hated being subservient to Rick – he lost ‘the girl’ and the Sheriffs job to a man he saw as inferior, hence the lies when he had the chance.

It just took Laurie and in the end Rick a while (while attempting to keep themselves and a bunch of followers (in every sense of the word) alive) to figure out just how much Shane lied about.

In what way does that make Shane the alpha male or the better man?

jackal40 on March 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

stuiec on March 13, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Yeah I kind of agree with you, I think Shane it’s a possibility that Shane was committing suicide by cop. He may have been pushing Rick’s buttons to get Rick to shoot him because he didn’t want to live anymore, for several reasons.

PetecminMd on March 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM

In a nutshell, you summed up why so many find Lori annoying. I tried explaining it in a post above to someone who was asking, but I think you nailed it better than me!

I could totally see “Zombie Lori” still complaining to Rick about everything:

“Rick, I’m hungry for brains. Get me some brains. I’m too cold, bring me a sweater. Stop running off and leaving Carl and me. I’m tired of smelling bad, like a decomposing corpse, get Glenn to run into town to get me some perfume…”

LOL

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

gator70 on March 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I at first wasn’t going to say anything about this point, but since others keep commenting on it, even today….

I think it’s good Glenn did not hop into her bed in the house, in that he was showing respect to her dad, who seems to have more traditional values.

I’m a Christian, and the Bible tells us sex is for marriage only, so any time a TV show has unmarried characters abstain from sex, I appreciate it. Our society is too sex saturated as it is, too much into the “anything goes” mentality which has had detrimental effects on marriage (like some women never get married because men will not commit, or they don’t get married until much later in life), how the genders relate to each other, the amount of STDs have gone up, unplanned pregnancies, single motherhood has shot up, and on and on.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

jehowe2nd on March 13, 2012 at 8:33 AM

No, that didn’t bother me in the way you suggest.

It was sad to see a kid zombie get killed, as it was when kid zombie Sophia got killed, but that is the reality of the world they are living in; people of all ages can become zombies.

I actually view them shooting zombie Sophia in the head to put her down permanently as a respectful thing to do.

If they did not shoot kid zombie Sophia, she would just wander around as a “thing,” a monstrosity that snacks on squirrels, cows, and people.

Killing her off permanently in order to bury her in the ground and say final good byes to her is the more respectful thing to do, IMO.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Nick_Angel on March 13, 2012 at 8:57 AM

You could be right about the whole thing.

I don’t know if it changes my point all that much if it was Shane who brought up “there are no bites” first, or if it was Rick, since Rick still seemed just as surprised as Shane. But to me, it’s a minor point if Rick already knew or not.

I’m a little bit interested in knowing how the zombie outbreak happened, but not as much as other people (I have seen people on other blogs really go deep into theories for pages on end), so regardless of how it’s spread, or how it started, isn’t a huge sticking point for me or a major interest for me.

I just enjoy watching a show where there ARE zombies. :o)

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM

You all talk about Lori (how pathetic and psycho she is) and yet you haven’t paid attention to the story.

Shane told her Rick was dead, both at the school after the shooting and when they ‘bugged’ out. Rick remembered a hazy moment of Shane being in his hospital room. Thus Shane knew Rick was alive and lied about it. The only far-fetched part of this is that the hospital would contact the family, not leave it to the deputy nor never bother to contact the family while he was in the there.

Then there was the talk in the woods that Rick and Shane had, where Shane boasted about his being a ‘womanizer’ and Rick wasn’t.

Shane was jealous of Rick and wasn’t happy that he lost ‘the girl’ and the position of Sheriff to him. And he lied, every chance he got in an attempt to turn everyone against Rick.

It just took Lori and Rick a while to figure out just how much Shane was lying about. So how does this make Shane the alpha male and a better man?

If you don’t like the show at all and don’t even pay attention to the key little (important) points hidden within it – why do you continue to post about it and complain about it?

jackal40 on March 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Pale Rider on March 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I disagree with you a bit. I like that Rick is restrained and thinks things through before acting. I don’t think he’s naive for doing that.

Certainly not everyone you meet in life (zombie apocalypse or not) can be trusted, but then, I don’t like it when people just fly off the handle first thing and shoot or punch someone else in the face on a hunch, a mere suspicion, or a fit of anger (like Shane).

Rick did not hesitate to shoot the two dregs in the bar once he saw they were dangerous, and I think that’s the important thing.

I am not saying I am always against taking action first (rather than having long talking sessions or going through negotiations), but it depends on the situation and people involved.

Some have said up thread that in the comics Rick becomes more like Shane, and they think that’s what they’re doing with the TV Rick. I hope not, because I will be disappointed in Rick for it.

I’ll still watch the show, but I’ll cringe every time Rick decides to shoot people in the face first, before trying to talk to them.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:04 PM

@TigerPaw – Herschel has essentially blest Glenn & Maggie as a couple (giving Glenn the heirloom family watch and indicating his acceptance of him as right for his daughter). There isn’t an itinerant preacher on his way round regularly to conduct weddings either. At that level of “civilization” they’re married when they decide they are and begin to act in that fashion.

They’ve also already been intimate (and Glenn seemed eager for more previously).

krome on March 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

T-Dogg spoke in this episode!

hawksruleva on March 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You’re right, they gave him a single line, and I think a single line in the previous show.

There was the, “Hold on Randall, we’re setting you free now. You’ve got a pardon” line and the, “If you don’t want the big master bedroom, Lori, I’ll take it” line.

They do need to give T-Dog more to do / say.

What was T-Dog before the apocalypse? I don’t remember if they ever said.

Wasn’t that one lady who decided to stay in the CDC and get blown up his wife?

I’m also mildly curious about what the “T” in “T dog” stands for.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM

krome on March 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I understand there is no formal marriage stuff taking place in the zombie apocalypse, but they could at least stand before the group and publicly declare they are man and wife.

I still say good on Glenn for showing restraint at that time.

I know Glen and Maggie had sex previously (which I found disappointing, as I did Andrea and Shane’s romp in the car).

Now Glenn is taking stuff more serious, as an adult should, not letting his hormones guide him, like a teen might do.

God says in the Bible that sex is for marriage only, that does not change for the zombie apocalypse, and marriages were done differently back in the days of Moses and so on, but they did take place, they were formally recognized things among the people, not just two people sleeping together.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Mr. Joe on March 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I don’t see why that’s totally unbelievable.

It’s like getting a cold. You can touch stuff that has cold germs on it and not get a cold yourself, as long as you don’t rub your germy hands on your eyes or nose afterwards.

If you touch someone with HIV/ AIDS on the arm, do you then get infected with HIV/AIDS? I don’t think so, as long as their HIV/ AIDS germs don’t get into your body via a cut on your body or something like that.

Maybe it works the same with the zombie virus, you can handle zombie tainted blood and not be impacted by it, as long as the zombie blood does not specifically get up your nose or into an open cut on your body.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

You asked, “Two: Where’d all the zombies in the woods come from at the very end of last night’s episode?”

The answer was mentioned in the episode: the swamp is drying up due to dryness as summer advances.

As for Shane dying: he died in the comics – much earlier than this. Also in the comics is the fact that the crazy blond chick becomes a real badass, and the little boy does too. They’re setting all this up. Probably the next season will have the kid replaced with an older kid (or maybe he’ll have a growth spurt or something).

Shane was a nut. It would have been nice if he’d taken a few boring cast members with him though, agreed.

jeffthevoter on March 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Since they killed Shane off, I’m finished with this show. He was the only interesting character except for Daryl. The rest of them? I don’t care if the zombies get them all..

Samantha on March 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You just know they’re bringing Merle back, and I want to see how that plays out. I’m betting Daryl will side with the group over his abusive brother, and I want to see that.

I want to see Daryl stand up for himself and the people who treated him with respect and compassion for the first time in his life. That is worth staying tuned for.

That and seeing Andrea and the rest stick pitch forks though zombie heads, oh yeah!

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

jeffthevoter on March 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I’m with you, and I’m a little taken aback by the number of people who equate being violent at the drop of a hat and becoming unhinged to be manly, tough, cool and something men should emulate.

To remind people: Shane wanted to kill his best friend (Rick) to steal his wife and kid, and they foreshadowed this many episodes ago, not just this last show, when Dale saw Shane raise his gun and aim it on Rick from a distance, when they were out in the woods looking for the lost girl.

Training your gun on your supposed best friend for a couple of minutes -as though you are tempted to blow his head off!- is not behavior from a truly caring, balanced individual.

I do not define manliness to be “guy who will shoot best friend to get his wife, and has a ‘survival of the fittest, screw other people. just leave them to die’” view point.

As I said above, if we were in the zombie apocalypse, and you were in trouble, Shane would leave you to die, but Rick would be empathetic and try to save your butt.

TigerPaw on March 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Not sure where all the hostility toward Rick comes from. His instinct is to not do something hastily that can’t be undone. His fault is in allowing those of weaker moral character to influence him.

The reason people look to him for leadership is that he is fair, and most folks want someone fair in charge when the hard decisions get made.

I’m glad Shane is dead. He was evil.

As for why Rick turned his back on him at the end, he wasn’t being stupid, he was terribly conflicted about what he’d done, killing his partner and his friend of years. He wasn’t thinking. Evidence of this is that he misinterpreted Carl’s pointing the gun in his direction. His feeling of guilt were firmly in control, though killing Shane was entirely justified.

Immolate on March 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

My sis in laws watch the show, I’ve seen none of it except maybe twenty minutes all told, and well.. I’m not a fan..

Look, ever since I was a kid, end of the world sci-fi has left me absolutely cold. Chalk it up to the endless WW III death by nuke movies that came out since the 50′s. I really hate the entire genre. I always held to the view that survivors of any such event would by sheer need to survive work together much more and not break into micro factions all Hell bent on lessening all their chances to survive.

The mushroom cloud was the stuff of nightmares for my generation,.. zombie movies, at best, Friday night popcorn fare..

I simply don’t see the entertainment value.

Now, give me Starships trading shots in orbit over a colony world, mankind winning against the odds, I’m there. Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, it’s got to have hope, or why bother.

mark81150 on March 13, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I like the nerd fan boys who can’t stop about how they’ve known about this long before it was cool and teh comics are way better.

tlynch001 on March 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM

This show still needs chainsaws. Lots and lots of chainsaws.

J.H. on March 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

This show still needs chainsaws. Lots and lots of chainsaws.

J.H. on March 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

This.

Chainsaws affixed to the stump where the right hand used to be, and a boomstick slung across the back.

Groovy.