New Obama campaign documentary trailer: Have we mentioned lately that he ordered the Bin Laden operation?

posted at 9:43 pm on March 12, 2012 by Allahpundit

If you’re bummed that we never got to see the Bin Laden death photos, cheer up. The worse gas prices get, the likelier it is that they’ll mysteriously leak before November.

I’ve never begrudged him the right to campaign on this. It’s his finest moment as C-in-C and a rare departure from the Carter-esque atmospherics of his presidency. You could, if you were desperate, challenge him on the merits of the decision — arguably the deterioration in relations with Pakistan afterwards did more harm than the raid did good — but I won’t. That filthbag deserved a bullet in his face and his filthy ISI protectors deserved the global humiliation of a hit pulled off right under their noses. Here’s my only quibble: The politics of counterterrorism being what they are, wouldn’t O have potentially been in major trouble politically down the road if he hadn’t acted? Granted, the intelligence putting Bin Laden in Abbottabad was only 50/50, but imagine if O had stood pat, OBL had later vacated the compound, and then it somehow leaked to the media that he had been there and Obama had reason to know it but didn’t give the order to move in. No explanation would have quelled the outrage, least of all a defense of Pakistani sovereignty given that (a) we use lethal force in Pakistan all the time via our drone program and (b) Obama famously promised on the trail in 2008 that he’d act inside Pakistan against terrorists if need be. I keep thinking back to this story in 2004 about how an unarmed CIA drone spotted a man resembling Bin Laden at Tarnak Farm in 2000, and yet no missile strikes, which would have taken several hours to prepare, were ordered. (I wonder if Clinton was thinking of that in the snippet you see of him here.) Declining to give an order to execute a surgical strike in this case is arguably harder to explain to the public than giving the order and having things go wrong. If that had happened — if Bin Laden hadn’t been there or if the SEALs took heavy casualties or had been surrounded by the Pakistanis — Obama would have taken heat but his goal would have been noble and his choice of America’s military creme de la creme to carry out the mission would have been unimpeachable. It was a risk either way and he deserves credit for the mission’s success, but as I say, I’m not sure that the potential cost of action outweighed the cost of inaction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

AP said there were a few bans right? I never did figure out who was banned.

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Allah said 4 or 5 on one thread you and Moo Cow were on. He stealth vaped em. I wish he would at least leave some entrails behind. I’ve asked him twice, no answer.

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

As far as I’m concerned, the evidence that he was in the Afgan mountains was reason enough to turn the whole shitheep into a radioactive wasteland on 9/12.

Omelets, eggs, etc.

Bruno Strozek on March 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

That would have gone over well./

Now if Obama was President then he would have won another peace prize for such an action.

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

As far as I’m concerned, the evidence that he was in the Afgan mountains was reason enough to turn the whole shitheep s#itheep into a radioactive wasteland on 9/12.

Omelets, eggs, etc.

Bruno Strozek on March 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

FIFY…we are being extra careful for a while. Walking on eggshells and all…

Although…I do like the cut of your jib, sir. Yes indeed…I do.

MooCowBang on March 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Good night again, DBear (we know you’re still reading).

rogerb on March 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I checked my own pulse a couple of times wondering if I rubbed AP the wrong way and though possibly MadCon might have gone a little far but I have seen him around as well. Has KenIn been around lately …I am hoping maybe that piece of trash opened his filthy mouth one time too many.

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Who are we missing today? Thats prolly a good start for guesses…

MooCowBang on March 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Heck its hard to tell. A lot of those types come in on a thread so seldom you hardly get to exchange with em. Glad it wasn’t you and CW and MadCon. Y’all were cursing up a storm. ; ) I went back and read it twice. So far of the ones I guessed got it all but two are still around. I guess it means cursing is okay?

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

*thought possibly

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Yep, he’s still around. I had the pleasure of offering up some of my normal abuse to him. I will say this, this set of trolls are by far the most uninteresting and weak a$$ group I can remember. They ain’t much fun.

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I might as well argue with a lawn gnome, you all have the same intelligence. You all have a good night.

DBear on March 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo…that’s who he’s sleeping with. No wonder he thinks he’s winning arguments!

KOOLAID2 on March 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Allah just posted QOTD, gotta run. If I hear anything I’ll be sure to let y’all know. Thanks.

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:18 PM

They ain’t much fun.

Bmore on March 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Hate to say it but at least Crr would put up a good fight.

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM

…he uses that mouth for his blow-up doll!

KOOLAID2 on March 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I do begrudge him the many months he spent hemming and hawing over the decision…

NerwenAldarion on March 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM

NerwenAldarion on March 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM

That was Clinton.

CW on March 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM

I personally killed Bin Laden!

Michelle made me wash my hands afterward!

Vote Obama 2012!

profitsbeard on March 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Sort of like John Kerry, who served in Vietnam. We now have Barak Obama who singlehandely planned and executed the killing of Osama.

Christian Conservative on March 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Didn’t Kerry suffer a grievously dangerous wound in the finger by a democrat hating conservative splinter as he was trying desperately to get below out of the line of fire after he ordered the boat to speed away before someone like a perspective congressman got shot or something?

Brave man, I see where 0bama got his courage.

Wolfmoon on March 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Obama 2012: Four More Years of Having Killed Bin Laden

Jim Treacher on March 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Beware the ides of March. :) :) :)

Theophile on March 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM

As far as I’m concerned, this was a no brainer. I seem to recall that Carter took little heat for the attempt to try to get the hostages in 1979. Most Americans valued the effort and cursed and mourned the misfortune.

Thanks, O, but I have two questions: What have you done for use throughout your term, and what have you done for us lately?

BuckeyeSam on March 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM

I don’t really see this as all that different from Bush using images of his response to 9/11 in campaign materials.

Esthier on March 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Esthier on March 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM

So, Obama spiking the football is OK? After Obama told the world that Obama does not spike the football?

coldwarrior on March 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Except there are reports he didnt give the order, that Panetta and the harridan had to go around him and Jarrett.

dogsoldier on March 13, 2012 at 6:46 AM

coldwarrior on March 13, 2012 at 6:11 AM

The problem here is not that he “got” Bin Ladin though I would argue the idea that doing so was his greatest accomplishment as CinC.

The problem is that ever since, he has trotted out the fact as if he personally lead SEAL Team Six into combat. As if he was the first out of the helicopter and the first through the door of the compound. The reality, of course, is that the DoD or some other agency developed actionable intelligence and went to him for permission to proceed. Then, on the big day, all Obama did was play nine holes of golf instead of the customary 18 and sit around a situation room.

IMO, this arrogance about his role in “getting” Obama is offensive to those who actually did the work.

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Happy Nomad on March 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM

No argument there, HN, no argument at all.

When has Obama ever given proper credit to anyone without taking credit himself first?

Looking over the past several years of public pronouncements, there are a lot more “I’s” than “We’s” in the Great One’s utterances. A hell of a lot more.

coldwarrior on March 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM

gutsy call, made by every principle in the room

DHChron on March 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM

leading from waaaaaaay behind

DHChron on March 13, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Obowma made a decision to get him 9 MONTHS LATER.

Obowma voting present, once again.

dthorny on March 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Opps, Obowma waited 5 months, in his own words. Which means he waited longer than that to get him.

He also waited several months to add troops in Afghanistan when Gen. Betrayus wanted 60k and Obowma cut that in half.

dthorny on March 13, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I simply cannot imagine any president not ordering the mission against Obama. I don’t begrudge Obama for pointing to this in his campaign, but I don’t think it is worth all that much to him politically. I doubt even the mushiest of the mushy middle thinks this was some courageous stand Obama took. I think most people, again even the mushiest of the mushy middle, realize that anyone who was president – except maybe Ron Paul – would have ordered the mission.

You don’t generally get points for doing the obvious, commons sense, right thing. It’s like campaigning on the fact that you remember to breath regularly.

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

“I simply cannot imagine any president not ordering the mission against Obama.”

I meant Osama Bin Laden, obviously.

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

It was a good call and yet…I can’t help but think of that photo of him in his golf clothes looking like he was about to mess himself as the operation went down…

CorporatePiggy on March 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Mornin’ DBear!

rogerb on March 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Monkeytoe on March 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Chris Rock sums Obama’s action up perfectly.

NapaConservative on March 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Pres**ent “Gutzy Call” Obama

J_Crater on March 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I can’t decide whether it is inappropriate or honest to bring in Bill Clinton, the king of declining to kill Bin Laden, to discuss the “tough call”.

netster007x on March 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM