Bill Maher: Santorum homeschools his kids because he wants them locked up in his “Christian madrassa”

posted at 5:30 pm on March 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

How very open-minded and reasonable it was of Bill Maher to deliver this little riff on the Santorums’ decision to homeschool their children (h/t NewsBusters):

Let’s not even get into his use of the term “madrassa,” which refers to an Islamic seminary that teaches mostly Islamic subjects. Suffice it to say anyone concerned about brainwashing should worry less about Rick Santorum’s children and more about subjugated women and children in the Middle East.

Instead, let’s focus on the “comedian’s” own appalling lack of knowledge. What Bill Maher doesn’t know about homeschooling could fill a book he’d never read. Fortunately, Noel Sheppard offers him a handy primer:

The 2009 Homeschool Progress Report found “homeschoolers scored 34–39 percentile points higher than the norm on standardized achievement tests. The homeschool national average ranged from the 84th percentile for Language, Math, and Social Studies to the 89th percentile for Reading.” …

The 2003 study Homeschooling Grows Up offered more evidence of Maher’s ignorance: …

“Only 4.2% of the homeschool graduates surveyed consider politics and government too complicated to understand, compared to 35% of U.S. adults(Table 2). This may account for why homeschool graduates work for candidates, contribute to campaigns, and vote in much higher percentages than the general population of the United States (Figures 2 through 7). For example, 76% of homeschool graduates surveyed between the ages
of 18–24 voted within the last five years, compared to only 29% of the relevant U.S. population (Figure 7). The numbers of homeschool graduates who vote are even greater in the older age brackets, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared to a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace. Interestingly, the three participants in the age-55–69 category were also more civically active than their peers nationwide (but the sample size was so small that this category was/is not included in the figures).”

58.9 percent of homeschool grads report that they are “very happy” with life compared with 27.6 percent for the general U.S. population. 73.2 percent find life “exciting” compared with 47.3 percent.

Homeschool grads also score higher on the ACT, are more likely to volunteer in their communities as adults and read more in general.

It’s true that some parents opt to homeschool their children because they don’t want their kids to be brainwashed by educators who have swallowed the latest progressive educational theories without a second thought or by textbooks authored by academics who have their own agenda. But does it follow, then, that because the parents don’t want their kids brainwashed by others that they want to brainwash them themselves? Or might it be possible that parents homeschool their children precisely because they want their kids to be able to think for themselves?

For two years, I was homeschooled. I also have a number of friends who were homeschooled through high school (including my sister-in-law). In my personal experience, parents who homeschool think the basic premise of education is to teach children to recognize and appreciate truth wherever they find it. I encountered a wider variety of viewpoints as a homeschooler than I ever did as a private school brat or a public school rat (and, yes, I’ve been both of those, too!) because the world became my classroom. Did my parents impart standards by which to judge the validity of ideas I encountered? Yes. Do I consider that brainwashing? No. In fact, I was so aware of my standards for truth that I was able to consciously reevaluate them as an adult. The brainwashed aren’t even aware of the standards by which they judge.

If it’s brainwashing to teach kids that objective truth exists (after all, if truth does exist, it precludes the possibility of relativism pretty quickly!), then the homeschool parents I know brainwashed their children. To Bill Maher, a belief in objective truth is “close-minded.” Never mind that basic logic teaches us that the idea that “there is no truth” is a self-defeating proposition. Eh, well, as Dr. Laura says, you can be so open-minded your brains fall out.

It’s also important to note that there are as many different ways to homeschool as there are families. Such a thing as “progressive homeschooling” has existed and still exists, for example. Back in the day when leftists were still anti-establishment instead of the establishment, they saw homeschooling as a radical thing to do, a way to prevent their children from being brainwashed into thinking capitalism was the only legitimate way to allocate resources. (Incidentally, David Mills wrote a pitch-perfect piece about “Homeschooling’s Liberalism” in the January issue of First Things magazine. If you’re a subscriber, don’t miss it!)

What does Bill Maher make of that?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM
—————————————-
I thought those who had some posts removed were banned, but gryphon202 said one of his posts were removed and Socmodfiscom also had one removed but I saw him posting in the headlines afterwards so he is still around.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

sharrukin:Everyone of mine are intact.I think AP just shut it
down!Bishop was trolling too,haha..*wink-wink*!:)

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I went on a crusade earlier after I saw APs post to try to figure it out myself. I must confess, I just ran out of steam by page 4, so my list may not be complete. But besides the ones you mentioned, I saw that the following had posts at least removed. I don’t know the posters fates though:

katy (not the mean old lady)
YYZ
Wagthatdog
heshtesh (multiple posts removed)
faraway

Don’t ask for specifics, I don’t have them. I just found those people being quoted and had to backtrack to see if the post was still there and it was not.

Kelligan on March 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Well, just add Santorum to my list of losing candidates, federal, state, city that I now will donate to.

racquetballer on March 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

See Maher.

See Maher insult people.

Insult, Maher, insult.

See people.

See people leave HBO.

Leave HBO, leave.

Bill Maher – giving lessons on how to kill a subscription network!

ajacksonian on March 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Kelligan on March 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I will be sad if faraway has been banned.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The part about this essay by Tina Korbe that bothers me is that it appears that she is attempting to justify homeschooling to Maher and his ilk.

They are morons. Screw them. They don’t deserve a response from a thoughtful and intelligent conservative.

trapeze on March 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

katy (not the mean old lady)
YYZ
Wagthatdog
heshtesh (multiple posts removed)
faraway

Kelligan on March 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thanks for the hard work.

Maybe these are the ones?

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM

He doesn’t care. It’s just a way to slam a Conservative.

Solaratov on March 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I don’t comment often, but I’ve been around here since almost the beginning of this site.

I’ll give you an observation, for whatever it’s worth:

The most common rerun on this site is the liberal that attempts to argue, falls flat on their face, and then resorts to the liberal bumper sticker cliches.

I believe the reason this happens is they are so conditioned by the illusion of “advantage” by the arts-entertainment-news-government-media complex that pumps the liberal cliches 24/7/365. This has made liberals quite content to falsely believe that this blaring echo chamber is a premise for rational thought and reasoned discussion.

On the flip side, conservatives of various stripes have always felt a sort of underground status in this cultural tidal wave of propaganda, and have literally been forced to explain themselves under a constant barrage of powerfully organized slander and misinformation. In order to be heard, they have had ONLY to rely on the force of their own arguments. And in the process of learning how to be heard through all the noise, these arguments are constructed on rock solid, universal principles.

Liberals, practically all if not most (with very few exceptions), are quick to yell, scream, name call, resorting to all liberal cliches whenever sense is being made by a conservative argument.

Bill Maher is just another typical product of this phenomenon. I suspect he has no idea of his own arrogance, since he cannot see the world outside of the contrived comfort of the cultural bubble of elitism that pervades liberalism.

In a way…Thanks libs! In your storm of hateful emotional rhetoric, you have created a platform for discussion to actually happen…because the folks are pissed off….and they want answers. And you can’t fool all of them all of the time;

I believe you will only fool 41% this time around. Okay, let’s say you get lucky…you won’t fool 50.1%. Nope. Not this time. The dumb ignorant unwashed masses you so detest are smarter than you. Surprise!

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

This home schooling dad is ticked off now. Will Obama let Maher’s Christophobia stand? Obama must return Maher’s $1 million now, and this should be a campaign issue until he does. We are all home schoolers now.

Blue Collar Todd on March 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Excellent comment.

Particularily this part…

It does explain a lot.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

My wife home schools our 4 kids and she told me the best analogy I can remember. If you have a small plant that you grow from a seed you keep it in a green house. This protects it from the elements (liberals) and allows you to nourish is until it is strong enough to be on its own. It may survive as a seed or sapling but then again, it may not. All I can do as a father is give my child a fighting chance and the education that will allow her to make educated decisions. As my oldest gets ready to go to college in France, YES FRANCE, we know that the conservative Christian foundation she was raised on is the best we could do. Rick is spot on. It doesnt take a village, it takes a family to raise children. Go Rick!

shooter561 on March 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

The thing with HBO, is I usually like at least one of their series. I like Game of Thrones, only reason I have HBO right now, but I would drop it b/c of Bill Maher if not for that. I guess I could wait for it to come out on DVD but I don’t like to wait.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Gosh, aren’t you just dripping with sincerity! /

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Didn’t you know….concern trolls are all about sincerity. //

Solaratov on March 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Well…

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I was at dinner with my sister and her home schooled daughter tonight. My niece is about 9 years old. She is very excited as very soon she will be donating her locks of hair for the second time for wigs for the ill. She is as sharp as a tack and 1000 times the person as Maher.

Jamson64 on March 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Didn’t you know….concern trolls are all about sincerity. //

Solaratov on March 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

What I find insulting is the syrupy garbage and that they think what they call True Cons, actually think that way.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

trapeze on March 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I suspect she could care less about Bill Maher, but trapeze, consider this:

Some in this audience, are thoughtful and curious people that, for one reason or another, haven’t given these and other political ideas much of a chance with all the other things that compete for their attention. They could be young. They could be 43 and interested in politics for the first time in their life. Who knows, they might even be a “liberal” that has not yet discovered that they are actually philosophically conservative.

If she reaches just one open mind to consider a conservative perspective before sitting hard on their own opinion…we’re winning.

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The only thing Maher knows about kids is aborting them.

Jamson64 on March 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I will be sad if faraway has been banned.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Hope not…I know I get carried away…

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Thanks. Coming from you, those words make me blush.

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Re-watch B5 a couple of times… and make sure to space out the episodes at they are a bit much to take in… when you get to season 4 and have to go back to season 1 to find out exactly who was doing what, then you’ll be wondering why we don’t get more good sf/fantasy.

I’ve been having a great time as an Amazon Prime member going through all the Twilight Zone eps on the Roku box. Plus the places hosting old films. I do watch a few shows produced new on tv, but with so much good older stuff, you can find plenty of good downtime viewing while waiting for HBO to get through Game of Thrones. I am very, very impressed with the first 3 seasons of TZ and enjoy the themes that got moved into it via the writers. Plus a large number of actors and acresses that were NOT top of the line, then, but became so in the years following TZ.

ajacksonian on March 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Spot on observations.

infidel4life on March 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Go to your brethren.

darwin on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Spot on!

KOOLAID2 on March 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Why does anyone watch this adolescent moron?

rjh on March 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I’m confused, probably just the long drive, is this the guy with all the sluts?

Bmore on March 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Why does anyone watch this adolescent moron?

rjh on March 11, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Because they are mainly adolescent morons mentally.

Rio Linda Refugee on March 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

trapeze on March 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

How do you really feel?

/s

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM

A uniqu perspective. Rush Limbaugh is never angry or venomous and Bill O’Reilly is a model of civic discourse. Turn to another channel to watch Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, or Lawrence O’Donnel scream at their guests or embark on anger-driven tirades. Very keen observation.

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Smarter in what sense? If you collect all the people who graduated near the middle of their high school class into one place online, you don’t have a group that’s on aggregate more intelligent. You just have a lot of average people reinforcing their own biases and prejudices.

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Any idea who got banned?

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM

No, but reading through this thread, you can see who unfortunately did not.

Siddhartha Vicious on March 11, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Blue Collar Todd on March 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Um… of course he will. A basic tenet of the left is that you never have to say you’re sorry – for anything, at any time, no matter how egregious.

Midas on March 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM

IMO, there is a real problem when a nasty creature like Bill Maher thinks he can openly opine on how the Santorum family educates their kids. What gives him the right to even have an opinion on the education of the Santorum children.

I can think of no situation where it is appropriate for the children of public figures to be commented on by complete strangers.

Happy Nomad on March 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Dinner is Served!

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’m sure this has been said already, but I’m quite sure Santorum home schools because douchebag progressive pigs like maher have utterly destroyed the schools.

I guess maher thinks the lib socialists improved the schools so much everyone should be forced to school their kids there, right?

Wolfmoon on March 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

This same old nonsense falling out of Maher’s mouth sounds like the pounding of the narrative that Santorum is the kooky religious guy. He’s going to keep beating that into the minds of the electorate as much as he possibly can. And it seems BM is low on evidence to support his claims if all he’s got to point to is the issue of homeschooling.

lynncgb on March 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Late to the party. Hopefully your question got answered. I home schooled my two children and my son is homeschooling his. When we bring them one at a time out to our ranch for a month we just continue what the parents are doing. The Santorum’s just take the schooling along with them. In many cases the hands on approach with traveling is a far better approach than the pen and pencil model prevalent in public schools.

chemman on March 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Wolfmoon on March 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I don’t believe BM has any kids…he can think anything he wants, but if he had to make education decisions for his own kids, me thinks that just may be a horse of a different color.

lynncgb on March 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I was once a conservative filled with hate like u guys I voted for Bush I supported the war in Iraq sadly, not proud of that. thankfully I had an awakening in time to vote for John Kerry lotta good that did though

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Sorry, Bub, but I don’t believe a word of that, since just a couple of days ago you were whining something to the effect that you were disappointed in BarryO for not supporting gay marriage, gun control and redistribution of wealth.

Your maks slipped there, and now everyone knows you were never conservative, just a lying liberal troll.

Siddhartha Vicious on March 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

One question: With Maher, how can you tell when the clown nose if off?

Axeman on March 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Dinner is Served!

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That’s not even Lawrence’s show.

D+

It’s amazing that some people can be so deluded with thoughts of victimization that the sheer anger and hostility expressed by Limbaugh and O’Reilly on almost a daily basis can somehow be compared to O’Donnell, Maddow, or Matthews (the last regularly has standing GOP guests).

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Siddhartha Vicious on March 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Dbear spelled ‘bag’ incorrectly.

tom daschle concerned on March 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Wait a minute, I thought anger and hostility was a good thing. At least, that’s what Obama said about the Wall Street exec bonuses. And what the media said about Bill Clinton’s interview with Chris Wallace.

You can’t have it both ways, Skippy.

fossten on March 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Roy Rogers: You are as wrong as those who claim that Christians are terrorists because every KKK member is a “Christian.” Registered Democrat.

pm123 on March 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

FIFY

BigAlSouth on March 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You really are quite the fool, aren’t you?

But then, you’re just another leftoid drone, living in an alternate universe.

Solaratov on March 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM

A uniqu perspective.

Meh. Actually, it’s not original or unique. It’s fairly common. I just reiterated it in my own voice.

Rush Limbaugh is never angry or venomous

I understand you mean this sarcastically, but having listened to Rush over a number of years, this is actually quite true. As to your qualifier “never”, I would say, “with extreme rarity” instead, and always, ALWAYS, accompanied at some point with an apology to his audience.

Bill O’Reilly is a model of civic discourse.

This is your model for a conservative? Sorry, but we’re so completely in disagreement here. I would say that Bill, who I stopped watching years ago, is an antagonist, and that’s fine, I could care less, but conservative? Perhaps on occasion, but if that’s who you’re going to bat with, you’re losing me fast.

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

First, I don’t believe in collecting people who have caused no direct harm to others. But, let’s just say for the sake of argument that I did. I’m not fool enough to believe, as you do here, that graduating near the middle of your high school class makes you less intelligent, or average for that matter. This is the problem with the liberal mindset. They only see themselves as unique and others as taken “on the aggregate” and such. And that there is some measure we can take of people to determine their worth to society, as if that even matters.

This is why liberals make HUGE miscalculations in assessing their own intelligence, because they are always comparing it to some contrived aggregate, and what a surprise??!!! They are always placing themselves above that fantastical average.

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM

That’s not even Lawrence’s show.

D+

bayam on March 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

lol

What you are saying is that since that clip was “only” from a show Larry co-hosted, he gets a pass for that obnoxious treatment of the person he was in dialogue with?

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Maher is an idiot. He thinks he’s a great intellectual, but in reality he’s just a little man in a funny suit.
The easiest way to show this is to simply turn his statements on themselves. Anyone who would want to live in a world where simply wanting to live a different lifestyle is reason enough to be the target of such vitriolic statements, deserves to end up in the prison they seem so willing to create.

He’s a fool. A mean spirited, arrogant, narcissistic fool at that.

KMC1 on March 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM

All who home school, do so, to keep their kids from turning out vile and repulsive, like Maher.

jainphx on March 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Saltysam on March 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM

The Left had a collective O’Basm in 2008 as they excitedly told us how many Elite Intellectuals With Advanced Degrees voted for O’bama.

Yet when you tell them that he also set a new US Record by winning 70% of the High School Dropout Vote, they get very angry.

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Don’t worry youselves with the chaff. Those who enjoy denegrating christian morals and beliefs will be burned off as the chaff is from the wheat.
They think thay have a lifetime. What they have is an eternity to look “not so hopefully” to. when the end comes.

And it most definitely will come.

44Magnum on March 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

FIFY

BigAlSouth on March 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Thanks Big Al! The quality of these new trolls has been seriously diminishing since the 2010 elections!

I LIKE IT!!!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

This crop of libs does not know Jack from shi’ite, and Jack has left town.

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Madrasa
n. Islam
A building or group of buildings used for teaching Islamic theology and religious law, typically including a mosque.

From Webster’s online dictionary.

*shrug*

JannyMae on March 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

This crop of libs does not know Jack from shi’ite, and Jack has left town.

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Darn you for making me LOL this late at night!

MelonCollie on March 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM

44Magnum on March 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

A few will awake from deception and be saved before that time comes, most will not. But for those few that will it is not a waste of time for us to continue to stand for the truth.

infidel4life on March 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM

…and he is using ‘madrassa’ as a pejorative?

Won’t he get in trouble with his own side for that??

Oh, wait…

ElRonaldo on March 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Yeah sure he’s great. Brain stimulating vulgarity and personal attacks on everyone who isn’t a commie.

What could be better than that?

darwin on March 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Good breakdown of bitch Maher’s shtick.

Gang-of-One on March 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

“What does Bill Maher make of that?”

Reading is hard.

Shy Guy on March 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM

At this point Maher is just trying to be as obnoxious as he can to get the publicity that goes with it. He works on it because he knows that what his small audience of drooling socialists want. He is just a media troll. And should be treated just as a message board troll – ignored.

tommyboy on March 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I know I’m late, but my 2 cents:
I have had home schooled kids as students.
The ones I get usually have been home schooled up through the 8th grade & I then get them as freshmen.
For the most part, give me a class room full of those kids ANY DAY.
They in general have better manners, are kinder, good students over all and they WANT to learn.
But I have seen many of them go down hill when injected into the public school system & that is bcs, just like their peers, they hit hard teenage years & they are more interested, like their peers, in socializing more than they are learning.
If I had my wish, we’d be back doing the one room school house with all kids of all ages together learning & helping each other learn.
And in a bigger area I’d go to classes separated by sex.
Boys in one, girls in another.
You could keep them in the same school (but it’d be better for their learning if you didn’t).
I have had classes separated by sex as accidents & they improvement in learning, especially with the lower performing students is nothing short of fricking amazing.
But yet, we continue to use public screwl to sexualize & indoctrinate kids at younger & younger ages.
SIGH

Badger40 on March 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM

they = their

Badger40 on March 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM

When we bring them one at a time out to our ranch

chemman on March 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I didn’t know.
What kind of critters?
We’re a cow-calf operation.

Badger40 on March 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

It is so enlightening to see who Obama’s ‘big donors’ are and what type of people support Obama’s agenda. Obama doesn’t represent the United states – he represnts the ‘Bill Mahers’ of the U.S. (Sigh….) Great!

easyt65 on March 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Midas on March 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Dunno – 0bama does seem to do it alot…

affenhauer on March 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

tommyboy on March 12, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I agree with you. The MSM will not do the analysis, they will just report Bill Maher’s lies as truth, and their followers will believe it.

lea on March 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I still like the LA times writer (can’t remember her name) who summed up Maher by saying “His idea of a romantaic evening is two hookers and an eight-ball of cocaine.”

tommyboy on March 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I wonder how many homeschooled children think that the proper Christian behavior would be to behead Bill Maher.

WhatNot on March 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Bill Maher is truly one of the most sleazy and putrid creatures ever to poison the cultural environment. I honestly cannot even stomach seeing his picture. I can’t believe he resurrected himself from the dead after his implosion on 9/11 commentary, trying to be funny. I can’t imagine what it must be like inside the brains of those who come into his world.

mountainaires on March 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I used to have a bias against home schooling; no longer. If I had young children today, we would DEFINITELY home school them. I recommend it for healthy emotional and intellectual development. I would not have my children anywhere near public schools anymore. It’s a nightmarish place with NO EDUCATION whatsoever.

If I’ve offended any teachers, I’m not in the least sorry.

mountainaires on March 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Maher comes across as someone who is just not a very nice guy.

I was home-schooled in addition to going to elementary school and high school.

My parents had legitimate concerns about certain subject areas. My mother taught me comparative religion (the three main monotheistic religions) and my father taught me civics and history.

They both worked full-time.

I remain grateful for the effort they took to educate me. Mainly they pointed me at books to read and discuss. When the time came I had my pick of universities to go to and I picked a top 10 one, full of marxists, socialists, feminists, etc. But at least I knew where they were coming from.

So home-schooling gets a big thumbs up from CP!

CorporatePiggy on March 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Home schooling done right teaches you how to think.

Too much of university has devolved into training you what to think.

CorporatePiggy on March 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

A “peace” religion started by a rapist of children who also happened to be a warlord, where utter destruction was the norm. Then people want to take offense because Bill & Tina uses the word “madrassa” as a negative word.

By all means try to correct them. You will have this falling on deaf ears. I’m sure somewhere in the world today we have yet another one of those “peaceful” people strap on bomb vest and kill innocent children.

Conservative4Ever on March 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I homeschooled my daughter four grades in three years. It’s very easy to do, with the very slow education process that doesn’t demand much from the students. Remember the eighth grade graduation exam from the mid-1800s and how current college students couldn’t pass it?

When I put my daughter in public school, she was a 9-year-old fifth-grader. And she was bored to death because the fifth grade class was learning everything she learned as a fourth-grader. Do you know what’s socializationally worse than being the smartest person in your class? Being younger than the youngest person in the class below you, while being the smartest person in your class. Peer groups, even at that age, don’t like it when they perceive someone to be so much better, so much smarter than them. The smart ones get ostracized.

My daughter, even in her single digits of age, was more comfortable carrying conversations with adults than with her own “peers”. And that’s another bonus with homeschooling: Being able to handle yourself in an environment filled with a wide array of ages, while brick-and-mortar schools stuff rooms full of people the same age and segregate people by age.

My daughter graduated high school at 16, tore up the ACT and the ASVAB, arrived at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, the day before her 18th birthday to begin her Army Basic Training, and during her 15 month stay in Iraq, was awarded Soldier of the Month and Soldier of the Quarter honors.

I also taught her a sliding-scale permissibility structure, where she had to make values decisions on her own, which meant she had to develop her own value structure at a young age, and then be capable of making choices she knew others didn’t like. The permissibility structure: “You’re not allowed, I don’t want you to, it doesn’t matter to me, I want you to, you must.” And “I don’t want you to” meant she was allowed and would not get in trouble for doing something she was allowed to do, but I clearly didn’t want her to do it. And she sometimes chose to live in that option. You don’t get that out of public schools. You only get cattle herding, and educating to the weakest student, and making no demands for excellence of the students.

As I was typing this, my window refreshed to show a new comment I’m going to QFT.

Home schooling done right teaches you how to think.

Too much of university has devolved into training you what to think.

CorporatePiggy on March 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

John Hitchcock on March 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

“For example, 76% of homeschool graduates surveyed between the ages of 18–24 voted within the last five years, compared to only 29% of the relevant U.S. population (Figure 7). The numbers of homeschool graduates who vote are even greater in the older age brackets, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared to a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace.” – Noel Shepard

And that, my friends, is why Leftists are so afraid of us:
An informed populous is a dangerous populous.

When I eventually had to transfer from a Catholic School to a public school, due to the financial concerns of a large Irish Catholic family, I was easily 2-3 years ahead of my cohort. It was embarrassing, and galling, to try and keep from answering every question put forth by the teacher.
As for World and American history, Classic literature and poetry, etc., My father, a blue-collar working man, had a huge library that kept me very occupied when not outside playing football, baseball, basketball, hockey, whatever.

Simply making available to children the History of Western Civilization, the Classic Arts, etc. parents can have a major and lasting impression on their progeny. I still recall with much fondness the Collected Works of Robert Service, and all of the history re: America’s armed conflicts, a collection alone that deserves its own library.
Power to the PARENTS!
(the good ones anyhow)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My children all went to the proverbial “one room schoolhouse” until the state of Nebraska outlawed them five years ago. That was overturned but the state would not allow the closed schools to re-open. We still have one in our county that my youngest daughter attends but it is under the jurisdiction of the larger district in town. They are scared to close it as there is a waiting list to get in. It goes up to eighth grade and after that, we homeschool. My two oldest both have full scholarships and are in college, my this is a freshman (at home, being schooled!) and the youngest is still out the one room. Its working well for us and quite frankly, I get to know my kids and spend time with them. Would not trade that for all the money in the world…

serenity on March 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

this = third Yeah, I went to public school…

serenity on March 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Reaching…as Maher here was less criticizing homeschooling that he was Santorum –
But I guess if you can find an angle, work it.

There’s plenty of ways in which homeschooling can be good.
My feeling is every kid should be getting some homeschooling – even if just as a supplement to public/pvt school environment.

But from what I’ve encountered, too much it it’s just planting kids in front of a computer for online courses
When parents are truly motivated by education and real learning, I’m all for it.
Unfortunately there’s often a completely different agenda at play – esp. with regards to homeschooling’s recent popularity among Christian fundamentalists.

verbaluce on March 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM

There is no doubt that religious Christians have an interest in Israel, but that interest is an interest in Jerusalem, as they had during the crusades. It is Christianity’s holiest site. And they see Islam as being a threat to that. Thus, their current siding with Israel against the muslim Palestinians. But in their religious narrative, Jews, just like all the other heretics, are doomed if they don’t see the light. Of course, it is not politically correct to say that, so they couch their language with respect to Jews with platitudes. As Coulter said, they need to be “perfected”. Which means, they need to stop being Jewish and start being Christian. lol.

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The single point of contention between Jews and Christians is of course Jesus Christ, and there’s no denying that Christians want to convert Jews to Christianity. That does not add up to antisemitism. Antisemitism would say, “who cares about the Jews.”

It’s not just about Israel.

tom on March 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Wait – Maher’s using “madrassa” as a perjorative? Wouldn’t that make him what the Left loves to call “Islamophobic”?

Sowell Disciple on March 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Who cares what Maher says. Everytime he opens his mouth something stupid comes out.

CTpatriot on March 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM

mountainaires on March 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I imagine that the people who like him probably imagine that he’s an iconoclastic wit, sort of like a current-day H.L. Mencken. I was going to say “how far we’ve fallen”, but there is some Mencken-level talent in our world — Mark Steyn comes to mind. Not that anyone on the Left even knows who he is, or would read him if they did . . . .

Sowell Disciple on March 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Sowell Disciple on March 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Mark Steyn went to the gutter on the Sandra Fluke controversy, and perpetuated myths about ‘welfare’.
Mencken?
Hardly…
Maybe you were thinking of R.H. Limbaugh?

verbaluce on March 12, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Sorry Billy Boy (read A**clown!) But Christians don’t want their children in a madrassa, they want them in a Church were they are safe from the likes of scum you!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I left out “LIKE”! Guess my fingers would not type the word in a sentence about him!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on March 12, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Thank you, Tom, for quoting KTC, else I would not have seen that drivel. And KTC, I suggest you read an article written by a non-Christian Liberal Jew before you continue your spewage. In it he talks about “inconvenient Christianity” and also links my article concerning the Anti-Christ and the fact the Anti-Christ must necessarily be a Jew of the lineage of King David (there are many anti-christs, but only one Anti-Christ). “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” KTC.

Oh, and a Messianic Jew does not, in any way, stop being Jewish. In fact, a Messianic Jew is doubly Jewish! So, KTC, when you try to spew your spewage at and around knowledgeable people, now you know why your spewage never takes hold.

John Hitchcock on March 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Little Billy seems to be a religious bigot.

Poor, poor little Billy. Little Billy has been drinking the poison leftest Kool-Aid for so long, he has turned his brain mass to the equivalence of mucus mixed with pus.

We know who and what the left are. Sad, sorry angry hypocrites.

ActinUpinTexas on March 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

IMHO, Billy gives atheists a bad name.
Seriously.

pambi on March 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

a. Parents can brainwash their kids without homeschooling them…they do raise them from birth, you know?

b. Bill Maher isn’t married, nor does he have kids. Bill is too self-centered to ever make someone else a priority over himself, so why should anyone listen to this buffoon’s opinions about how to “properly” raise kids?

c. Our education system under the NEA has become a laughing stock. Whenever I hear someone say, “I went to public school, and I turned out OK”, I cringe because I think, “If you had gone to private school or were home schooled, you would have turned out better than just ‘OK’”. Besides, with the continual lowering of standards, today’s “OK” isn’t what it used to be…

d. Because Bill is so dense and so befuddled by leftist indoctrination, he really doesn’t realize how stupid he truly is. It is pretty commonplace to hear and see so-called intellectuals spout off about how superior they are, and yet they are more often than not sitting in a tenured position in some university and never able to make an actual success of themselves in the “real” (private) world, and find out first hand that their precious ideology is doomed to consistent and constant failure.

e. Bill will lead a sad, unfulfilled life and in the very near future, he will be a lonely old man with no one to visit him, and no hope for anything beyond his remaining days breathing. No children, no wife, no God, and a narcissist…what a waste.

Geministorm on March 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM

It all depends on the public school, especially at the high school level. My friend’s daughter attends one of the best in the state, and is taking AP Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry and just completed a class on front-end web programming. Those are not subjects most parents are prepared to teach their kids. Of course, Khan Academy is changing everything and giving parents more power to teach the most advanced subjects at home.

Our education system under the NEA has become a laughing stock

As Bill Gates had said, the NEA is a huge part of the problem. But if you compare superior education systems in Western nations, one defining feature is teacher pay. Americans waste too much money on education without paying teachers enough to attract the best and brightest.

bayam on March 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Badger40 on March 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Ditto in my experience. Some of the coolest people I know are homeschooled. Their love of learning is contagious and inspiring.

bntafraid on March 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hey, bayam, did you take the 8th grade graduation final exam from the mid 1860s? I seriously doubt you did. Even today’s college students fail that exam, and fail miserably. And teachers in the 1860s were paid a mere pittance compared to what they’re paid now. Teacher pay has absolutely no correlation to the horrid free-fall of educational outcomes, whereas the Liberal Agenda has everything to do with the free-fall of educational outcomes.

I remember a humanist educrat back in the early 1980s say something along the lines of “Little Johnny may not be able to read and write, but at least we’ll get the superstition (very clearly meaning Christianity, based on the context of his spewage) out of him.” And that is exactly where we are today with public schools: Christianity is mocked and defamed, and reading, writing, arithmetic, history, current events, government, etc, has been woefully tanked — by much higher paid sycophants to Leftism than their Christ-based, low-paid predecessors.

John Hitchcock on March 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

You know, for somebody who claims “enlightenment,” Maher (pronounced MORON) absolutely must be in line for the “Leftist PIG Award” for 2012!?! I really feel very sorry and pray for the salvation of the abject morons who actually waste their time watching this JACKASS (their party symbol)!?!

Colatteral Damage on March 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Mahron has removed all doubt that he is a sick little toad by attacking Santorium for comparing his home schooling to a Christian Madrassa and not realize that Obama was indocrinated in an Indonesian Madrassa as chosen by his Islamic father in the early years of his life. Liberals are NEVER as smart as they think they are on any level. If they were, they wouldn’t be a liberal.

volsense on March 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I cannot wait until this Maher jackass slips up and says something that “outrages” our Muslim friends and has to disappear.

Nomas on March 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM