Bill Maher: Santorum homeschools his kids because he wants them locked up in his “Christian madrassa”

posted at 5:30 pm on March 11, 2012 by Tina Korbe

How very open-minded and reasonable it was of Bill Maher to deliver this little riff on the Santorums’ decision to homeschool their children (h/t NewsBusters):

Let’s not even get into his use of the term “madrassa,” which refers to an Islamic seminary that teaches mostly Islamic subjects. Suffice it to say anyone concerned about brainwashing should worry less about Rick Santorum’s children and more about subjugated women and children in the Middle East.

Instead, let’s focus on the “comedian’s” own appalling lack of knowledge. What Bill Maher doesn’t know about homeschooling could fill a book he’d never read. Fortunately, Noel Sheppard offers him a handy primer:

The 2009 Homeschool Progress Report found “homeschoolers scored 34–39 percentile points higher than the norm on standardized achievement tests. The homeschool national average ranged from the 84th percentile for Language, Math, and Social Studies to the 89th percentile for Reading.” …

The 2003 study Homeschooling Grows Up offered more evidence of Maher’s ignorance: …

“Only 4.2% of the homeschool graduates surveyed consider politics and government too complicated to understand, compared to 35% of U.S. adults(Table 2). This may account for why homeschool graduates work for candidates, contribute to campaigns, and vote in much higher percentages than the general population of the United States (Figures 2 through 7). For example, 76% of homeschool graduates surveyed between the ages
of 18–24 voted within the last five years, compared to only 29% of the relevant U.S. population (Figure 7). The numbers of homeschool graduates who vote are even greater in the older age brackets, with voting levels not falling below 95%, compared to a high of 53% for the corresponding U.S. populace. Interestingly, the three participants in the age-55–69 category were also more civically active than their peers nationwide (but the sample size was so small that this category was/is not included in the figures).”

58.9 percent of homeschool grads report that they are “very happy” with life compared with 27.6 percent for the general U.S. population. 73.2 percent find life “exciting” compared with 47.3 percent.

Homeschool grads also score higher on the ACT, are more likely to volunteer in their communities as adults and read more in general.

It’s true that some parents opt to homeschool their children because they don’t want their kids to be brainwashed by educators who have swallowed the latest progressive educational theories without a second thought or by textbooks authored by academics who have their own agenda. But does it follow, then, that because the parents don’t want their kids brainwashed by others that they want to brainwash them themselves? Or might it be possible that parents homeschool their children precisely because they want their kids to be able to think for themselves?

For two years, I was homeschooled. I also have a number of friends who were homeschooled through high school (including my sister-in-law). In my personal experience, parents who homeschool think the basic premise of education is to teach children to recognize and appreciate truth wherever they find it. I encountered a wider variety of viewpoints as a homeschooler than I ever did as a private school brat or a public school rat (and, yes, I’ve been both of those, too!) because the world became my classroom. Did my parents impart standards by which to judge the validity of ideas I encountered? Yes. Do I consider that brainwashing? No. In fact, I was so aware of my standards for truth that I was able to consciously reevaluate them as an adult. The brainwashed aren’t even aware of the standards by which they judge.

If it’s brainwashing to teach kids that objective truth exists (after all, if truth does exist, it precludes the possibility of relativism pretty quickly!), then the homeschool parents I know brainwashed their children. To Bill Maher, a belief in objective truth is “close-minded.” Never mind that basic logic teaches us that the idea that “there is no truth” is a self-defeating proposition. Eh, well, as Dr. Laura says, you can be so open-minded your brains fall out.

It’s also important to note that there are as many different ways to homeschool as there are families. Such a thing as “progressive homeschooling” has existed and still exists, for example. Back in the day when leftists were still anti-establishment instead of the establishment, they saw homeschooling as a radical thing to do, a way to prevent their children from being brainwashed into thinking capitalism was the only legitimate way to allocate resources. (Incidentally, David Mills wrote a pitch-perfect piece about “Homeschooling’s Liberalism” in the January issue of First Things magazine. If you’re a subscriber, don’t miss it!)

What does Bill Maher make of that?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

he said they weren’t cowardly and they weren’t. they were monsters, true believers who did an evil act in the name of god, there was no praising of anyone just a realization that they weren’t afraid to put their madness into action

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I don’t associate courage with killing people and being nuts and flying planes into building.

You and Bill Maher are free to disagree. This is generallhy why most Americans don’t trust liberals on military matters.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Not only that, but it’s curious that Maher himself chooses to use “Madrassa” for its negative connotations. Shouldn’t Lester’s beef be with Maher for using a supposedly innocent word for its negative connotations in reference to Christianity?

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I’m late to the thread, but as I read through the comments that’s the one thing that I noticed – Lester seems to be evading that essential part of the discussion.

NoamSayin on March 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM
—————————————-
I thought those who had some posts removed were banned, but gryphon202 said one of his posts were removed and Socmodfiscom also had one removed but I saw him posting in the headlines afterwards so he is still around.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

sharrukin:Everyone of mine are intact.I think AP just shut it
down!Bishop was trolling too,haha..*wink-wink*!:)

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I think Bill Maher is the guy who called the 9-11 terrorists brave, men of courage.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

And he lost sponsors as a result, and was fired.

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Think of the Santorum homeschooling during this campaign as very similar to an Olympic Skater or USTA Tennis player “away from home” schooling wherever they are competing, practicing, etc. Being a homeschooling family, I would conclude the Santorums are more prepared for the rigors of such an experience than those candidates with families who go to a building for school, and end up just missing class if they want to travel with their parent at all.

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

OT /but is anyone having trouble getting into the Ace of spades hq?

sandee on March 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And keep in mind, Bill Maher said these terrorists were brave souls just a few months after 9-11. That’s poor taste in general. 3000 innocent Americans died and he’s praising the terrorists. Why defend that?

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Why are Santorum’s kids any of Bill Maher’s business?

Liberals: “Hey, lay off of our candidate’s children.”

Liberals: “Leave Chelsea alone.”

Liberals: “Obama’s daughters are off limits.”

Laughable hypocrites all.

fogw on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Ask DBear!

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I have had my fill of stupid with Lester. Adding DBear to that would be overkill.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Personally, I think thank my lucky stars I was never home schooled. I’ve met a few in my time, and they were pretty stupid.

rubberneck on March 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Keep fonting, someday you’ll post something intelligent.

DevilsPrinciple on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I don’t look at Ace of Spades anymore, he seemed to get real strident during the Mike Castle- O’donnel primary and it’s all been downhill since. I don’t think Mike Castle is worth insulting a lot of your audience over.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Roy Rogers: You are as wrong as those who claim that Christians are terrorists because every KKK member is a “Christian.”

pm123 on March 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Bad comparison. The KKK is far less Christian* than the culture around them, which clearly indicates that Christians are less likely to join the KKK. All you’re really establishing is that you are uninformed.

* It’s hard to describe exactly what they are. Some are atheists, some agnostics, and a bunch of others can’t be easily categorized. Most are social misfits, from what evidence I’ve seen. Pretty much all I’ve ever heard of or heard about are crazy.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I’ve been here at HA for years as a thoughtful and intelligent commenter – I don’t troll at all. I’m honestly curious, and you’re noticeably not answering the question. It matters to me because Santorum is running on character and family values, and I think the answer to my question would help me and others gauge the sincerity of that claim (or lack of it).

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

OT /but is anyone having trouble getting into the Ace of spades hq?
sandee on March 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Just tried from the links on page side right. No problem at all for me.

whatcat on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Has there ever been any time, I mean, once single solitary time, that this idiot Maher has opened his mouth and something that could even remotely come close to sounding even semi-intelligent has emerged?

pilamaye on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Why are Santorum’s kids any of Bill Maher’s business?

fogw on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Because Bill’s gal Michelle won’t be able to influence them.
Fist bump.

Electrongod on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

tom on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

The KKK claims to be Christian. They actually have their roots in fraternal meetings of southern Democrats who wished to keep the newly freed slaves from voting for Republicans. After the various state Reconstruction agencies saw to it that most freed blacks were able to vote, the Dems had little choice but to resort to terrorism and passage of “Jim Crow” laws to keep blacks fearful and dis-spirited.

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

fogw on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Thank you. Good point…point well taken.

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Just tried from the links on page side right. No problem at all for me.

whatcat on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thanks…

sandee on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

So, Maher admits that “Madrassas” are indoctrination centers?

Finally!

Who is John Galt on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

here’s one that didn’t get scrubbed. heckuva site here

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Get lost. You belong to the people that screamed for Bush to be murdered, for Limbaugh’s kidneys to fail, and speaking of the military … when Bush was president you bastards encouraged the enemy. Your people protested with signs that read “Soldiers shoot your officers” and burned effigies of soldiers. You people marvel at how easy it is to scrap a baby from the womb and kill it and have said the viliest things about conservative women for decades.

Go to your brethren.

darwin on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

DBear is just giving it the old kos kiddie try!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Forgive Maher.

He lacked an education.

He wasn’t homeschooled.

itsspideyman on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

fogw on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You certainly have that right. I’ve got plenty of things to say about Santo, but I am not about to say how he should raise his children or educate them. Mahrer isn’t funny. He is simply offensive and nasty, little people think it’s funny.

MJBrutus on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

there was no praising! and yes it was a very traumatic time wasn’t the best time to express that opinion that being said he now has an even bigger and better platform on HBO

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Gosh, aren’t you just dripping with sincerity! /

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I don’t think you have to be religious to want to home school. The difference in what is being taught now and when I was in school (olden days) is enough to require a lot of remediation. As a nation we have fallen behind in math and science and the stuff they are teaching as American history just encourages more Hope and Change.

Cindy Munford on March 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I’m pretty sure the caption under Billy’s yearbook picture was

“ya can’t fix stoopid”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on March 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Thank you for an actual answer instead of knee-jerk, defensive attacks on me for asking.

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:04 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Until just now when your inner concern troll emerged?

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

If you say so, I don’t think he pulls in a big audience, like I said, they could get better ratings with reruns of Game of Thrones and their other series. They have Maher on b/c they want to be seen as liberal and hip for whatever reason. I’d personally want to appeal to a wider group of people and having Maher on doesn’t do that for you.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The point is that most in the KKK do (or used to – it really doesn’t exist any more, thank God – pun intended) self identify as “Christians,” even thought they are as far from Christianity as the self-identified Muslim terrorists are from Islam. Anyone who hates in the name of any religion is beneath contempt.

pm123 on March 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It was worse than that. He also implied that we were more cowardly than they were for sending cruise missiles from afar rather than risking our own lives.

I’m sure he thought he was making a good point, but that’s part of what’s wrong with Bill Maher. A little bit of thought would tell you that committing suicide is cowardly, while risking death — even though you want to live — to save the lives of others is brave. There’s nothing brave about murder-suicide. If you end your own life while killing others, you’re escaping the consequences of your actions.

If we want to talk about brave people, how about the policemen and firemen who ran into burning and collapsing buildings to save lives at risk of their own?

Maher was and is an idiot. Often wrong, but never in doubt.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I do note the irony of Dbear criticizing conservatives for bad statements when she’s a big Bill Maher fan.

What is really funny about calling Palin the c word?

Rush got to the slut thing b/c he was bouncing off Fluke’s assertion, which Rush thought was bogus, that she spends 3000 dollars in 3 years on birth control. You can’t deny she’s having a lot of sex if she’s spending that kind of money on it.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:05 PM

What I think gets lost in shuffle is that Maher is right about one thing: He has a huge advantage over terrestrial radio and broadcast television in not having to answer to advertisers. The only thing that matters to HBO is how many subscribers they have. If the only thing folks watch on HBO is the boxing events, they pay the same for it as everyone else does who only watches Maher. Add to that the fact that HBO is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Time-Warner, and they just don’t have much to lose by keeping him on.

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Question: Who’s schooling the Santorum children during the months and months Mom and Dad are on the campaign trail? Who’s tending to the 24/7 health needs of the little one, who is terminally ill? Anyone know? I’m honestly curious. Do they have them with them on the buses and planes, like the Palins did? Can the little one handle that?

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Persistent thread agents…

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

furthermore Bill is an atheist and advocate why would he praise any religious fanatics? he hates Islam as much as any religion he gets a lot of flack from the left for it too

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

So, I’m curious what you’re getting at. I’m getting the vibe that you think they are being cold-hearted or something. To believe that I think you’d have to see some evidence that they dont’ care about family or something. From everything we see, they are a beautiful, loving family that embraces life to its fullest…that rolls with the punches they’re getting. Should candidates only be ones with 2.2 kids who are perfect pictures of health?

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

That’s true, Bill Maher does hate all religious people equally. I want to be fair. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Anyone who hates in the name of any religion is beneath contempt.

pm123 on March 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

And that differs from hating in the name of ideology in what way?

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Still don’t see Bill Maher calling a “Christian” who blows up a an abortion clinc and kills himself in the process a man of courage. Pretty sure Bill Maher calls that person something else. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Right. Which is why he gets all sorts of death threats from Islamic authorities or something./

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

And the newer HA flock continues to win hearts and minds to the conservative cause by employing the time-tested strategy of attacking anyone and everyone, calling other conservatives trolls, and generally being intolerant jerks. Yes, that will bring in the voters in droves for us, I’m sure. They love that sort of thing when choosing which party and candidate to support. No wonder our guys are doing so well this primary season and the live for them is growing daily. Keep up the great work, True Conservatives!

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Anyone who hates in the name of any religion is beneath contempt.

pm123 on March 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I would add anyone who hates in the name of any anti-religion is beneath contempt as well

Friendly Atheist

Why can’t you live simply live and let live? Why impose your values or lack thereof on anyone else?

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

tom on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I’ve seen studies analyzing the beliefs of those in the KKK. In the middle of the Bible Belt, they’re only about 60% at best Christian, even nominally. And anyone who knows anything about Christianity knows there are lots of people who claim to be Christian but are not.

Regardless, if the KKK were a Christian organization, we would expect their members to be more Christian than the culture around them. Instead, they are far less so.

My point stands. The KKK are simply not an example of a Christian organization.

Of course, you should be aware that the KKK has died and been reconstituted multiple times. I’m referring to the KKK as it exists today. Fortunately, there’s not much there any more. Mostly a bunch of crazy social misfits trying to stay relevant.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I kind of wish Rush was on a subscriber type of format, b/c the show is for his fans and it’s his non-fans that whine about him all the time. I get tired of hearing how he hurts the Republican party, total nonsense.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I really don’t know why the muslims aren’t eating him alive over his insult against madrassas. After all, “white [n-word]” is only such an ugly insult because [n-word] is. If he thinks the notion of a metaphorical Christian madrassa is so ugly that the mere postulation of it would turn people off of Christianity (what he is going for, after all), what about actual muslim ones?

Shouldn’t someone be issuing a fatwa against him from the OTHER religion he is slandering?

Dirty Creature on March 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I think the KKK is more anti-Jew than Christian. Most Christians in the south are very pro Israel.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Don’t underestimate the power of large groups of crazy social misfits trying to stay relevant. That’s an apt description of the Occupy movement, as well.

gryphon202 on March 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

OT /but is anyone having trouble getting into the Ace of spades hq?

sandee on March 11, 2012 at 6:57 PM

sandee:I didn’t,I left a posty,no problems!!:)

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

If it wasn’t for Conservative websites, few would know about Maher. Quit feeding the troll. It’s what he wants.

Decoski on March 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Victims Unite!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Do you have any self awareness….you sound like the most pretentious jerk on here.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Bill has never been better

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quite true. Unfortunate, isn’t it?

However, comedy is not for everyone (as maher so amply demonstrates).

But, he’s young yet. There’s still time for him to find something he’s good at and get into that.

Solaratov on March 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Decoski on March 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I don’t see how tying the Democratic party to Bill Maher and MSNBC can hurt us.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Bill has never been better

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM

So, by that you are admitting that he has been worth 10 seconds time to watch or listen too?

Siddhartha Vicious on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Go to your brethren.

darwin on March 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I never said any of that. I was once a conservative filled with hate like u guys I voted for Bush I supported the war in Iraq sadly, not proud of that. thankfully I had an awakening in time to vote for John Kerry lotta good that did though

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

NoamSayin on March 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Look up my very first comment.

lester on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Of course not. You do sense correctly, though, that I question the idea that his family is truly the most important thing to him if he’s willing to not be at his daughters side when the dreaded day comes. The Oval Office will still be there in 2016, while his daughter most likely will not. His actions demonstrate to me a great likelihood that he is in fact a hypocrite about family values as I interpret family values. As a parent, I could honestly not bring myself to give up a single day with my dying child. It sounds horrible to me, and it does draw his character into sharp question for me. If he weren’t running on character, I don’t think I’d care so much, but that’s his big selling point, so I need to examine it carefully. Plain brought her children along on the campaign trail and I had no problem with it. If she and Todd had left one behind to possibly die any day without either parent at her side, I would have questioned that decision as well.

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Wrong Tina. Madrassa in Arabic means school. That’s all. It has no inherent religious meaning or relationship unless you (or Maher) are using the American Right Wing Dictionary of Scare Words.

lester on March 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM

LESTER — where did you go to school?

merriam webster
a Muslim school, college, or university that is often part of a mosque.

dictionary.com
noun Islam .
a school or college, especially a school attached to a mosque where young men study theology.

pastselldate on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

But being pro-Israel is not being pro-Jewish. Those Christians who take that Book of Revelations stuff literally think that Israel is to be defended only because the Bible says that it will represent God in the final battle of Good vs Evil, when Jesus comes back to send all the non-believers to hell. lol. In this narrative, the Jews better convert, and quick.

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

O/T,

Newt Gingrich joins the service at the First Baptist Church in Brandon, MS – @alexnbcnewsStory

Submitted 4 mins ago from instagr.am
============================

canopfor on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You being filled with stupid could be a birth defect. Don’t blame others.

lester on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

It is cowardly to sucker punch someone.

Their act was an ultimate sucker punch.

profitsbeard on March 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

aero’s a pretentious type who uses “family values” as a weapon against politicians she doesn’t like for their political beliefs.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I was once a conservative filled with hate

Now he’s leftist filled with hate. Some things never change; his anger issues follow him everywhere.

whatcat on March 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I don’t think enough trolls got vaporized over on the Afghanistan thread.

trigon on March 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Ok, I’m not a theologian nor do I play one on the internet, as you appear to do. My point is most Christians in the south don’t hate Jewish people which is the basic point of the KKK these days.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Honestly curious are you?

Santorum is overtly anti-libertarian. I can’t get behind him for that reason. The fact that he’s creepy doesn’t help.

aero on February 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The fact that he’s creepy doesn’t help

Sorry if we True Cons aren’t as stupid as you had hoped.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

If you get angry sometimes, as all normal humans do, does that mean you are full of hate? Or just angry at times about things that make you angry?

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I think this “Tru Cons” insult has outlived it’s shelf life by about a year. Time for the Romney zombies, moderates, and libs to get a new insult. Mix it up a little.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Evangelical Christians believe that the Jews are God’s chosen people. That’s why they support Israel. Jews in this country were suspicious of them for a long time, but have lately begun to realize that support is genuine.

I know of at least one Jewish rabbi who told a Jewish doctor that he needed to vote his interests as a Jew, and that W was an actual ally of the Jewish people.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Too much feces in the punch bowl here at HA these days. This “pretentious jerk” is off to find some intelligent conversation elsewhere. I am genuinely saddened. This used to be my favorite political blog, but now it’s being dragged into the gutter with all the rest. It feels like a conservative version of the Daily Kos in the comments now. Kudos to you other old-timers who are trying valiantly to re-elevate the discourse here. Not how I want to spend my time.

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

DBear on March 11, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Oh wow … now you’re an anti-business, anti-miltary, anti-family, anti-life, pro-Islamist, pro-communist, pro-regulation, anti-coal, anti-oil, high taxing liberal!

Congrats!

darwin on March 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I think you underscored my point with this…you are just too dang good for everybody else. A notch above.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’m not saying they do. But you made an erroneous conclusion that Southerners can’t be anti-Semitic simply because they are, as Christians, pro-Israel. One does not negate the other. As I pointed out, to fundamentalist Christians, Israel represents God, and their support of modern-day Israel is not support for Judaism, and certainly is not support for Jews as a cultural entity. It is support for what they see as their holy ground as Christians.

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:25 PM

BTW, this has been true for quite some time. Way back in the 70s and 80s, the old “Moral Majority” was a big supporter of Jews and of Israel for the same reason. The left could never quite understand it, because they were convinced all conservatives were antisemitic.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

What intellignet person uses expressions like “too much feces in the punch bowl”?

I tend to think there is a better way to express yourself than that, especially if you must do the holier than thou routine.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Those persistent thread agents are the bane of trolls.

They post not knowing what they post stays posted (until they get banned)

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

keep the change,

You are going way over my head. Like I said, I’m not a theologian and I’m not goinog to get down in the weeds with you on this topic. In my mind, it’s not logical that Christians are pro-Israel but anti-Jew. I don’t buy that.

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Honestly curious are you?

I was, yes. I haven’t voted yet, and my state is likely to choose Santoum. There’s a chance he’ll be the nominee, and I want someone to talk me into supporting him. Every time I invite his supporters to do so, though, they attack me, so I won’t get behind him. I’ll work for down-ticket candidates and vote for Santorum if I have to in the general, but I won’t work for him or donate to him unless someone actually does or says something that in any way makes me an ally instead of an enemy.

I’m out.

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Exactly.

kingsjester on March 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

sniff… sniff…

Buh bye!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Those persistent thread agents are the bane of trolls.

They post not knowing what they post stays posted (until they get banned)

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Yup. I think he is a Ron Paul or an Obama guy trying to sound like what he thinks a ‘concerned Christian’ would sound like.

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Maybe this is the point of confusion. No, evangelical Christians are not supporters of Judaism as a religion, but they do believe in supporting the Jewish people and rejecting antisemitism. This leads to support for Israel.

tom on March 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Evangelical Christians believe that the Jews are God’s chosen people

Please. Especially to an evangelical, no one gets into heaven, no one comes to god except by the good graces of Jesus Christ, and that means accepting Him as their personal savior. The very essence of being Jewish is that you know all about Jesus and have rejected the historical character as a fraud. Either he was the messiah, or he was a delusional nut. One or the other. Jews don’t believe he, or anyone else, was the messiah. So he had to be a nut for claiming to be the son of God and King of the Jews.

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Drama Trolls Unite!!!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I want someone to talk me into supporting him. Every time I invite his supporters to do so, though, they attack me…

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’ll bet the fact that he’s creepy doesn’t help, huh? /

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM

ROFLM Slut Off!

They never stay gone after their big announcements!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

aero on March 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Ok. So, I think I’ve had a different understanding of the situation with his youngest. Is it possible that the term “dying” may be the stretch? When I heard Santorum discuss it, I took him to mean that with a Down’s child, life in general is precarious, and one never knows when something might crop up that could be life-threatening. I did not take it to mean that little Bella is on her “death bed” at this very moment. She recently had an episode that could have been disastrous. Fortunately, it wasn’t. Answering a call in life takes courage, and includes risks. I am willing to believe that he has weighed all of those, including little Bella, and ALL his kids, and believes this is the right thing for him to do. Whether I would it or not, is another matter. Good grief, I’m much too comfortable to even grasp why anyone wants to try to lead this crazy place.

Oh, and btw, I did not vote for Santorum. I still like the man.

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

There is no doubt that religious Christians have an interest in Israel, but that interest is an interest in Jerusalem, as they had during the crusades. It is Christianity’s holiest site. And they see Islam as being a threat to that. Thus, their current siding with Israel against the muslim Palestinians. But in their religious narrative, Jews, just like all the other heretics, are doomed if they don’t see the light. Of course, it is not politically correct to say that, so they couch their language with respect to Jews with platitudes. As Coulter said, they need to be “perfected”. Which means, they need to stop being Jewish and start being Christian. lol.

keep the change on March 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

ROFLM Slut Off!

They never stay gone after their big announcements!

Roy Rogers on March 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM

He’s just trying to elevate the conversation and discuss ‘creepy’ Santorum and us True Cons just won’t let that happen. /

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM

sharrukin on March 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Darn you guys! Can’t a troll even hijack just one thread for his psychotic rants??

whatcat on March 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM

aero, the thread is about the Santorum’s homeschooling, so that alone should indicate that at least one parent spends a fair part of their day with their children.

Also, perhaps the Santorum’s don’t think of Bella as a dying child.If the photos I’ve seen of Rick and Bella are any indication, Bella is happily living her life.

OldChick on March 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Maher couldn’t keep up with what the kiddos are learning in my madrassa./

ted c on March 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Oh, and btw, I did not vote for Santorum. I still like the man.

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

But, he did win my state. I would not hesitate to support him if he won the overall nomination.

Santorum’s character (7 kids, homeschooler, embraces life, etc.)
vs.
Obama’s character (leave babies to die if born alive in an abortion, wouldn’t want his girls punished for their “mistake” with a baby, etc.)

No-brainer.

bntafraid on March 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM

If I looked like Bill Maher, I’d be a bitter liberal too, probably.

Well, probably not. :)

Dr. Tesla on March 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

If you ask me, it’s Maher who’s making a “madrassa” of himself.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on March 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Maher mocks God for a living. Well Bill, God just may have a response for you…

Proverbs 1:24-27