Gingrich: Grits are my forte

posted at 5:45 pm on March 10, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Newt Gingrich might say that Alabama and Mississippi aren’t must-wins for him, that he’ll go all the way to Tampa no matter what, but his actions tell a different story. He canceled a Monday fundraiser to continue to campaign in the two states. He has five events scheduled in the region today alone. The former Speaker of the House knows that he needs to win at least one if not both of the Southern states to justify the continuance of his campaign.

Trouble is, even if he wins both Alabama and Mississippi, he still won’t have notched a win to dispel the notion that he’s a regional candidate. Rhetoric like this won’t help with that, either:

“I have had grits before,” he told a crowd at a Mobile café on Saturday morning, making a not-so-subtle knock on former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s joking admission to an audience that he was starting to like the favorite Southern food.

The former House speaker contended that was evidence of a larger problem facing his rival: “I figure if you don’t understand grits, there’s a pretty high likelihood that you don’t understand the rest of the South, either.” …

“We have momentum, but we haven’t won,” he told a crowd at his second café stop of the day – Mama Lou’s in Robertsdale. “We still have to go out and finish the sale, we have to make sure, particularly in a county like this that has such a huge Republican vote, we need to make sure that everybody understands the opportunity.”

So Newt Gingrich knows grits … Does he know New England crab cakes or Pacific Northwest salmon? So Mitt Romney doesn’t understand the culture of the South … The free market works in the South much as it works anywhere else.

It’s natural that Gingrich would want to push back against any of Mitt Romney’s faintly charming remarks about becoming an “unofficial Southerner.” Gingrich considers himself an official Southerner — he was born in Pennsylvania, but he graduated high school in Georgia, for goodness’ sake! – and he doesn’t want to lose on his home turf any more than Mitt Romney wanted to lose Massachusetts or Vermont on Super Tuesday. But if Romney’s tendency to win only the states he’s expected to win makes him a weak frontrunner, Gingrich’s inability to compete anywhere but the South makes him a very weak third-runner. It’s hard to see why Gingrich is holding on.

Comments

Anyone else getting server error messages?

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

“True” Grits

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Grits – bleh.

MeatHeadinCA on March 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know what they say: It ain’t over til the fat lady falls on the Bouncy Castle!
:p

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Anyone else getting server error messages?

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Database error for me.

sharrukin on March 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Nope. Not good enough.

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

server message test.

PappyD61 on March 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Tina, listen to what Romney has to say about Obama’s responsiblity for high gas prices then go listen to what Gingrich has to say. Which do you think sounds better to the American public who are going to be asked to vote? Romney is not an “idea” man. He is a manager. What is Romney going to do to trim down the government? I still don’t know. I know what Gingrich will do. Name a democrat Romney defeated in an election. crickets. Gingrich has never lost to a democrat. For your edification. Do you know who brought the corruption charges against Newt? The ones that all turned out to be false. Cooter. From Dukes of Hazzard. How many voters know the lies they told about the most effective GOP Speaker in the 20th century?

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

What? Romney was expected to win Michigan and Ohio after his disastrous polling there? So Korbe is just going to make up a narrative she likes and go with that I guess. This is what Hot Air has become.

lowandslow on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

At least he knows what a drilling platform looks like….

tencole on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Talk about pandering in the south… If Romney would have used the words grits and forte in the same sentence it would be national news for a week.

BobScuba on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It’s hard to see why Gingrich is holding on.

Apparently, to give the nomination to Romney. :/

Theophile on March 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

This is funny in a way. Even the “Southern” guy seems to be pandering to a south of many years ago. Maybe they both learned everything they know about it from My Cousin Vinny. I wish Newt could pull another Jason and come back again, but I am not seeing it.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I wonder if Rev. Green gets the heebie jeebies when he hears the word “Grits“?

There can be no question that anyone would have been shaken by the events that transpired in the Memphis, Tennessee, home of singer Al Green in the early morning hours of October 18, 1974, when an ex-girlfriend burst in on him in the bath and poured a pot of scalding-hot grits on his back before retreating to a bedroom and shooting herself dead with Green’s own gun.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Probably instant grits.

profitsbeard on March 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Grits-yuck.

jeanie on March 10, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Gingrich has lost his mind.

Pork-Chop on March 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

tencole on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Good one. Maybe they could be kidnapped and slap Newt’s brain into Mitten’s body.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Kiss my grits Newt.

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM

test

sharrukin on March 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Someone help me out here. I’m not a Southerner, but I love grits. But what does it mean to “understand” grits?

YYZ on March 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Romney has North Dakota’s Bakken Field “Oil Man” on his Energy Team and many others…so I am sure he will know what to do. Romney is NOT an idiot and is very successful at EVERY level because he gets things accomplished.

g2825m on March 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I actually like grits, but about the only time I eat them is when I stop at a local mom n pop place that has a great breakfast. I have lived in the south my whole life, 45 years, and have never seen grit worship.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 6:04 PM

YYZ on March 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Waaaaay above my pay grade.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

But what does it mean to “understand” grits?

You know–to understand them on an intellectual level.

Emperor Norton on March 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

New campaign slogan:

Grits. Drive. Determination.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Newt Gingrits.

Emperor Norton on March 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

As though it weren’t already painfully obvious that this campaign, along with Newt and Santo are old news. Is this what where we’re at? Gads I hope that at least one of these two losers if not both will just do the honorable thing, by force if necessary, and go away. The spectacle of Mitt’s rivals is no long even amusing, it’s a Dumb and Dumber marathon.

MJBrutus on March 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Name a democrat Romney defeated in an election. crickets. Gingrich has never lost to a democrat.?

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Name a democrat Romney defeated in an election– Shannon O’Brein.

Gingrich had never defeated a democrat outside of Georgia’s 6th congressional district. No democrat had defeated a GOP candidate in the 6th congressional district since 1980.

galtani on March 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Mitt likes them too, now.

Schadenfreude on March 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Mebbe Newt can reach his “inner” grit?

Nah…

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Do you think JugEars has ever had Grits?
I don’t think he has ever had oatmeal either!
Peas…yes.

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Grits are my forte

Grits are my bailiwick
Grits are my wheelhouse
Grits are my aptitude
Grits are my capacity
Grits are my adroitness
Grits are my alacrity
Grits are my thang-a-thang-thang

Yours truly,
Newton
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Grits are wonderful as a hot breakfast cereal with sugar and butter. I don’t understand this pandering though.

However, I hope Newt is on the ballot when we have our primary. Since I live in California, I realize this may be too hopeful.

Rose on March 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Newt Gets Grits.

The Nerve on March 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Newt has his Eliot Spitzer face on.

UltimateBob on March 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Name a democrat Romney defeated in an election– Shannon O’Brein.

galtani on March 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

…do you think lobotomy4life is a closet Newt supporter?

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

True Grit.

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Tina, Tina, TINA…

WRONG.

You’ve got your regions mistaken!!!

MARYLAND (the Chesapeake) has crabcakes, NOT New England.
New England has SCROD and CLAM CHOWDAH.

Given how Newt’s lived so much of his life within easy reach of the Chesapeake, YES he probably understand crabcakes.

Do YOU???

Yiwen on March 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Newt has his Eliot Spitzer face on.

UltimateBob on March 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

…that picture always makes me think he was having difficulty, in an attempt to break wind!

KOOLAID2 on March 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Grits/groats/porridge was a favourite breakfast in the English winter – ideal for walking to school on.

OldEnglish on March 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Crabs for Christmas!

Yiwen on March 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The base is the South, not Massachusetts

faraway on March 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

It’s natural that Gingrich would want to push back against any of Mitt Romney’s faintly charming remarks about becoming an “unofficial Southerner.” Gingrich considers himself an official Southerner — he was born in Pennsylvania, but he graduated high school in Georgia, for goodness’ sake! – and he doesn’t want to lose on his home turf any more than Mitt Romney wanted to lose Massachusetts or Vermont on Super Tuesday.

That’s some pretty lame snark Tina.

Newt’s step father was an officer in the United States Army so Newt Gingrich was an Army brat who had to move around to his step father’s duty stations.

Army officer Robert Gingrich (1925–1996), who adopted Newt.
Gingrich was raised in Hummelstown (near Harrisburg) and on military bases where Robert Gingrich, his step father was stationed.

Dr Evil on March 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Mitt Romney to Newt Gingrich “Kiss my grits”

rushlimbang on March 10, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Santorum: We had a very very good day in Kansas

Steveangell on March 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Gravy and biscuits: “What about us?”

faraway on March 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

OldEnglish on March 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

We would have maypo for breakfast.

Dr Evil on March 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

ANY Republican will win this year. Even Mitt or Santy. The real question is, who can, without the likes of 0bama as an opponent, win in 2016? Because a guy who has the record, the savvy, and the credentials to get the band back together in ’16 will likely dishearten those aging Boomers who currently are the top of the Left’s propaganda operation.

But if we nominate Captain Who-Cares-If-You-Like-Me-I-Bought-This-Nomination, or The One-Trick-Pony-of-Holiness, and the Dems don’t nominate a fail or a nutter in 2016, a lot of 2012 GOP voters aren’t going to be too exercised to be sure the 2012 winner gets a second term. Romney will shift conservatives into open revolt, and secular conservatives will have to wash their hair come 2016 for Santorum. If the Democrat wins in 2016, so what.

Bob Ponybald can hold out for four years, if he can be assured the Democrats will be back in power. But eight years will be too much to ask. Gingrich is not a one-trick pony, and he has much better credentials for implementing conservative reform. 2012 voters will show back up for him in 2016.

Sekhmet on March 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Let’s stop this RINO War on Grits, before it gets out of hand.

faraway on March 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I understand grits
I listen to grits
I consult with grits
I commune with grits
I pledge fealty to grits
…and to the United States of America

Yours truly,
Newton
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Newt likes GRITS?
So I take it then that Calista’s a southerner? *Girls Raised In The South*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He’s holding on because he correctly understands that he is the only Republican candidate who can beat Obozo. He, and many others of us, understand that he has the best grasp on the needs of this country and how to return us to greatness.

Frankly, Tina, so many of your posts are getting to be so weak and baseless, it’s hard to see why you keep holding on.

NOMOBO on March 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Gingrich has lost his mind.

Pork-Chop on March 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

What mind?

Del Dolemonte on March 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM

We would have maypo for breakfast.

Dr Evil on March 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Another new word in my vocabulary. At this rate, I’ll soon be literate! :)

OldEnglish on March 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Newt likes GRITS?
So I take it then that Calista’s a southerner? *Girls Raised In The South*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’m not sure if Calista likes grits or not, but she has captured the Aqua-Net market.

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

NOMOBO on March 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

No one is forcing you to comment here.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Calista put sugar on his grits, so Newt left her.

Rusty Allen on March 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

She’s only 4 1/2 older than I am-but I look much younger.
Guess being married to a guy old enough to be your dad wears on you.
*shrugs*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM

4 1/2 years.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM

NOMOBO on March 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Frankly NOMOBO, we like Tina better than you. But, feel free to pass on reading AND posting under Tina’s leads. Unless of course this is just an “attention” gambit?

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

At least she’s willing to light her hair on fire to try and get support. She is who she is.

Fallon on March 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

He is holding on because he is the best candidate to straighten out the mess we are in right now. Go Newt We don’t need a man in the WH that has appointed pro abortion pro gay liberal activist judges in his state as governor. NOr one that allows gay marriages all by himself to happen and now the pubic school are filled with pro gay agenda and parents are not even allowed to opt out of the indocterination of their children. Santorum’s record while in the Senate stinks. Go Newt

Bullhead on March 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

NOMOBO on March 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

It’s interesting that Newt wins the states South Carolina, Georgia ect where there is Military bases, and where Military folks vote. Alabama also has Army bases like Fort Rucker for instance.

Look at it this way at least Tina isn’t Meghan McCain – glass half full.

Dr Evil on March 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Gravy and biscuits: “What about us?”

faraway on March 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Sausage gravy and biscuits. Oh yeah.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Anyone else getting server error messages?
John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I did, for about an hour.

whatcat on March 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Anyone else getting server error messages?
John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I did, for about an hour.

whatcat on March 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I did too.

Dr Evil on March 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Fallon on March 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Aqua-Net is highly flammable, she might hurt herself and others around her.

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The southern states primaries ought to be decided by the candidates going head to head in a winner takes all “Polk Salad Annie” sing-off.

whatcat on March 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on March 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If there is anyone that is vague regarding their approach to the economy, gas prices, job creation, etc. it is Gingrich! Romney has laid out a very complete and practical approach to those problems which you have obviously not made the effort to read or understand. Gingrich let his power go to his head in the 90s and virtually ruined the GOP in so doing. His temperment and performance during this primary reflects his inablility to lead or manage anything. This country does not need that kind of person in the White House.

lhuffman34 on March 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Sausage gravy and biscuits. Oh yeah.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Best homemade and fresh hot out of the oven. Yummmmm. Grits..meh. Unless it’s in a sausage, cheese, grit casserole.

bluealice on March 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Why have you used such an awful photo of Newt? He’s quite a good looking man and yet you insist on using this photo, as does Drudge!

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

JtL,

What’s a moderate libertarian?

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Grit haters

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

bluealice on March 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Definitely homemade. I don’t like biscuits out of the tin can.

Southernblogger on March 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Editorializing by photo.

onlineanalyst on March 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

What’s a moderate libertarian?

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I can’t conceive of one. Libertarianism is a set of principles for me that are theoretical mostly. But I see libertarians to the right of social cons.

You think Denver is gonna be stupid enough to sign Manning?

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

JPeterman on March 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I guess I was too subtle.

Fallon on March 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Was the sarc tag missing?

talkingpoints on March 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM

There’s a guy over at kj’s blog claiming to be a moderate libertarian as he defends the obamanation on the cost of gasoline. My guess is a mod. lib. is someone that doesn’t do peyote everyday…

Manning’s neck is a crap shoot. I don’t know what would be better for him, an indoor stadium (AZ), an outdoor grass stadium(DEN), cold weather outdoor(DEN/Jets) or warm outdoor (Miami), astroturf…I wouldn’t sign to more than a 1 year contract with an option for addt’l years…

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Have you thought about seeing an opthamologist for those cataracts? Or it could be the onset of macular degeneration.

TxAnn56 on March 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Love is blind…

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM

flossymeg47 on March 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

But HA they are sooo good to Santorum , always using his best shots ,thumbs up and victorious .So the conservative media also does play the propaganda game, and they think we are so simple we don’t notice.

evergreenland on March 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Another subliminal message via an ugly photo of Newt Gingrich.

Amjean on March 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

or warm outdoor (Miami), astroturf…

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Seems to be the consensus out in my neck of the woods.

John the Libertarian on March 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, warm and grass should be better for his neck…Hope he has guys that can catch…

Gohawgs on March 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM

“I have had grits before,” he told a crowd at a Mobile café on Saturday morning, making a not-so-subtle knock on former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s joking admission to an audience that he was starting to like the favorite Southern food.

REAL butter & salt or GTFO

Ugly on March 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

True grits.

Sherman1864 on March 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Atta girl, Tina. Keep up the good work for Mitt. Love the scary photo of Newt. Don’t worry about Rick, you can always dig up the Duggers.

minnesoter on March 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Talk about true grit!

Schadenfreude on March 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM

And I thought Ann Coulter’s RomneyCare RINO was terrible? Tina Korbe is a WORST ass kisser than Coulter.

mathewsjw on March 11, 2012 at 4:18 AM

“Song To Grits”
by Roy Blount, Jr.

When my mind’s unsettled,
When I don’t feel spruce,
When my nerves get frazzled,
When my flesh gets loose-
What knits
Me back together’s grits.
Grits with gravy,
Grits with cheese,
Grits with bacon,
Grits with peas.
Grits with a minimum
Of two over-medium eggs mixd in
‘em: um!
Grits, grits, it’s
Grits I sing-
Grits fits
In with anything.
Rich and poor, black and white,
Lutheran and Campbellite,
Jews and Southern Jesuits,
All acknowledge buttered grits.
Give me two hands, give me my wits,
Give me forty pounds of grits.
Grits at taps, grits at reveille,
I am into grits real heavily.
True grits,
More grits,
Fish, grits, and collards.
Life is good where grits are swallered.
Grits