Video: Christie still not suffering fools gladly

posted at 3:40 pm on March 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has a reputation which precedes him. Never afraid to go out and communicate directly with his constituents, he seems to love to take questions from both supporters and detractors alike. And if someone chooses to engage him in a bit more vigorous fashion… let’s just say he’s not the shy, wallflower type by nature.

This was on display once again when he was challenged on the subject of merging Rutgers University with Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey.

The most-heated town hall clash of the year started today with a shouting match, drove Gov. Chris Christie to call a vocal opponent to the proposed Rutgers Camden-Rowan merger an “idiot,” and ended with a stern talking-to by police.

Just four questions in, Christie called on William Brown, a 34-year-old law school student and veteran from Mt. Laurel, who explained, calmly at first: “I know that all my friends in the military no matter what state they’re from respect that fact that I go to Rutgers. It’s also true that none of my friends in the military no matter what state they’re from have ever heard of Rowan.”…

“Listen we’re not going to get into a debate here, ok?” Christie said. “I listened to you. You’re unhappy about it. You don’t want Rutgers to merge with Rowan under any circumstances. Well here’s what going to happen. Rutgers is going to merge with Rowan and here’s why –”

“It’s not a merger,” Brown continued, still interrupting.

“I sat here and listened to your story and your position — excuse me — without interrupting you,” Christie said, while Brown kept it up with: “It’s not a story, it’s the truth.”

The video follows, but there are a couple of points about the protester which are worth noting. First, Christie doesn’t need to get too far down in the weeds with Brown because he’s a veteran and, by his account, a Navy SEAL. (I have no reason to doubt him on this. Simply haven’t seen any stories documenting it.)

The second issue is that Brown is not simply a random citizen unhappy with one particular policy. His is also a Democrat with political aspirations of his own, having already taken one run at a seat in the Assembly. But watch the video and judge for yourself as to how well it was handled.

Comments

No video

NJ Red on March 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I thought that, as with ObamuhCare, and for decades before, it’s been established that politicians don’t want to listen to the People.

I’m almost sure of it.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

One trick donkey.

the_nile on March 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I love Christie, but that video make him look like a bully.

earlgrey133 on March 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

the_nile on March 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Indeed! Guy needs a new act.

HerneTheHunter on March 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Thats great. Wish more of our conservative politicians were like that.

Dragoro on March 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I find it’s generally best not to ever be on the side of an argument that’s supporting an elected official telling a constituent to shut up.

Mitigating circumstances and all, but still.

BadgerHawk on March 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Did you find a more complete video than was already post in the headlines thread on this?

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Damn, man, I’m more important that you are.”

What he really thought.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Wait…Rutgers is merging with another university?

flipflop on March 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

He is a bully. I’m not impressed. I have no problem with a politician speaking his mind and making good points, but not this.

Rose on March 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Christie needs to listen, take a deep breath! This is no good.

donyalola on March 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Ah, nothing like using the force of government.

Is this supposed to paint Christie in a favorable light?

Dante on March 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I love Christie, but that video make him look like a bully.

earlgrey133 on March 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Because it was meant to by the people who edited it. Didn’t you notice that it was missing most of what the guy said?

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Uhh, not good. I love my Governor but that was waaaaay over the board. Unless the video is selectively edited – it well might be, by the looks – Christie put a dent on his reelection chances. Well, maybe Romney will appoint him as AG or, better yet, special prosecutor.

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Yes. It did seem edited, and I should have been more clear when I indicated that the “video” made him look like a bully. If the full video is available Hot Air needs to show that.

earlgrey133 on March 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

“Damn, man, I’m more important that you are.”

What he really thought.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

…and guess what? When it comes to making these kind of decisions, he is…that’s life, some people are more important than others, some more valuable than others, and —shocker—some even have more power than others.

right2bright on March 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

“I know that all my friends in the military no matter what state they’re from respect that fact that I go to Rutgers.”

Does Rutgers have that good of a reputation around the country?

Rutgers students and alumni have been talking about their school as if it’s another Harvard or Princeton ever since the merger idea with Rowan was made public.

Nick_Angel on March 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

No video.

Flash.

Doesn’t show up on an Apple iX product.

Quit posting Flash.

moochy on March 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

And alot of what the fool said was inane. The guy is worried what School nsme will be on his diploma? How about those who graduated from Glassboro which was Rowan’s former name?

red131 on March 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Considering it doesn’t really show the other guy talking, yeah I’d say it was edited.

BuzzCrutcher on March 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Wait…Rutgers is merging with another university?

flipflop on March 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

The Rutgers-Camden campus could be merging with Rowan University, a state school in South Jersey that used to be primarily a teacher’s college but now has an engineering and medical school.

Nick_Angel on March 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Joe Dolce – “Shaddap You Face”

What’sa matta you? (Hey!)
Got a no respect
What do you think you do?
Why you looka so sad
It’sa not so bad
It’sa nicea place
Ah, shaddapa you face

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

No video.

Flash.

Doesn’t show up on an Apple iX product.

Quit posting Flash.

moochy on March 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Or maybe buy something other than an Apple iX product. :P

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

IMPORTANT: I checked some New Jersey news sources and most say the guy was screaming at Christie. Naturally, the scene ended up cut out from the video. I know that there’s little love lost between Christie and this forum but that’s no excuse for falling victim to a favorite lefty tactics.

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Damn, man, I’m more important that you are.”

What he really thought.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

…weighs more too!

I love Christie, but that video make him look like a bully.

earlgrey133 on March 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM

…that’s all he does lately…is confront goofs! Big deal…they are goofs! So, I want him to run for prez because he can be ‘rude back’… to a goof?

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Rose on March 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM

He was trying to, after politely allowing the guy to speak, but the guy is clearly heard yammering on and on rudely interrupting Christie. If he wants to be treated with respect, he should first show it.

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Scrappy on March 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

exactly…. but the governator should have asked someone to turn off the guy’s mike bc “i’m not going to be talked over.”

Dr. Demento on March 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

right2bright on March 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Right! And you’d say the same thing if it were Obama instead of Christie, I’m sure.

cjw79 on March 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM

right2bright on March 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

All as duly shown by people who are elected and, for that very reason alone, decide that they are to dictate to us and tell us to shut up – because they’ve been elected, you know.

You’ve forgotten how our system was supposed to be structured. That the People were to wield the power – and that those who were elected, pursuant to that power, were to serve the People. Not denigrate them, tell them to shut up, be condescending towards them … and tell them, in essence, that – because the People elected me, I’m more important than you are.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Christie is a blow-hard, but lefties never, ever let anyone get a word in. They “ask a question” and then snark away, cheaply playing the room, while the person from the other side tries to answer it. It is a stock strategy they use, and it’s about time everyone stopped letting them get away with it. “You asked me a question, you made your statement, now shut the fu*k up and let me respond.” What’s wrong with that? Nothing.

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I went to the Jersey website that had the story. I couldn’t find the video of Christie but they made damn sure they had a 3:00 minute video of the Protestor talking with reporters afterward in an impromptu press conference.

WisRich on March 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM

This clown had to be removed by State Troopers. That doesn’t happen if all you’re doing is disagreeing with Christie. He’s had plenty of people stand up and take him to task, and he lets them talk. So what if he’s firm with them – Christie isn’t a patty-cake kind of guy.

This guy went a step further and was getting out of control. Hence, police removed him.

Good Lt on March 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I must have a problem w/the video download or who ever edited that video must have failed editing 101.

renowebb on March 9, 2012 at 4:08 PM

If you follow the link to the original article, there are more details. The guy was shouting continuously throughout the Governor’s explanation. He didn’t mention he was a Navy SEAl until he was being escorted out, so that may be questionable. He wasn’t interested in an answer. He was similar to a planted protestor.

Lothar on March 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Thats great. Wish more of our conservative politicians were like that.

Dragoro on March 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Christie is not a conservative.

NoNails on March 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Thanks.

Buy Danish on March 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Christie is not a conservative.

NoNails on March 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Christie is a conservative. He is just not of the Bible-thumping, cross-waving, Big Government conservative breed that Santorum’s supporters pine for.

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Are there other types of SEALs who aren’t Navy? Just curious. Do people say Navy Marines, too?

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Apparently, this isn’t the first time Brown and Christie have encountered each other in reference to Veterans interests:

Christie seems to have handled it pretty civilly and productively when they met before.

blammm on March 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Take the video down until you find an unedited version of it.

EddieC on March 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Protestor was a jerk and wanted a confrontation but this doesn’t help his VP chances, if he had any.

WisRich on March 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I’m not a Santorum supporter and Christie still isn’t a conservative.

NoNails on March 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Two things. If he was a Navy SEAL he certainly doesn’t act like ones that I have seen speak.
The fact that he is a member of the democrat party as currently constituted shows bad judgment.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

….\”,__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
…..\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
…….\,,,,,—~~~~;;;;;;;;,”::::\
……….”"”~~–,,,,,,,,,,-”::::::::::\
……………….\::::::::::::::::::::::\

EddieC on March 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know if this guy was a Seal or not. However, if everyone who claims they were a Seal to gain a moral step over their opponent, or get a free beer, were really Seals, then everyone in the Navy would be seals and the ships would be left to run by Army privates. Geez, are there any squids out there who weren’t seals. I even had a guy that worked for me that claimed he was a Seal and shot doen a Japanese zero at Pearl Harbor. Pretty darned good trick for a 2-year old to do before the Seals were established.

Old Country Boy on March 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on March 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Agree on almost everything except that you seem to allude that an elected politician must ‘suck up’ whatever the public wants to dish to them.

This guy didn’t just ask a question and have Christie call him an idiot, he badgered and wouldn’t let Christie respond. At that point presupposed polite interaction is rendered null and void and it is incumbent upon Christie (the Gov and ‘moderator’ of the conversation) to shut the guy up, respond to his question and move on. The guy doesn’t have to like the rules but he can’t expect kid gloves when he ignores them.

Your statement stands correct ASSUMING both parties argee to the rules and follow them. This fella didn’t and paid the price.

StompUDead on March 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He’s an embarassing blowhard of a bully and hardly a good representative of conservative behavior. He and ascerbic Ann Couter make a good pair.

They are both counterproductive tools of the elite GOP which is no different than the left when it comes to not allowing or trusting the little guy to actually pick their own candidate. Trust them at your own peril….

Don L on March 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Thanks for the update. Seems like if an unedited video exists that’s the one we should be seeing.

BadgerHawk on March 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I hate it when they don’t show the full content of the video

Kini on March 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Don L on March 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

?

EddieC on March 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I sat in the front row of a Christie town hall about a month ago. He is spot on with handling those of whom disagree with him. He allows them to speak, then asks to be heard. He allows dialogue, provided it is civil and concerns the public in general. He tries to prevent people on personal crusades (at least this is what I obseved in my limited experience) so that the entire audience can remain engaged.

Better to have someone who stands up for what he believes and wears his emotions on his sleeve. I saw Eric Cantor with Lou Dobbs last night, and thought just the opposite of him than what I think of our Gov.

It’s called being a leader.

Strike Twice on March 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM

We have been having trouble with young Billy on our members only SEAL group page on Facebook. He likes to post pictures of gay Marines making out after returning from deployment. As you might expect, that didn’t go over very well.

Froggy on March 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Sweet, sweet Christie pr0n should sound more like:

“I say, old chap, I afforded you ample opportunity with which to posit your queries. Do be a good sport and reciprocate in kind, dans l’esprit du bonhommerie, s’il vous plait.”

That would be maqnifique.

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I hate it when they don’t show the full content of the video

Kini on March 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I agree, they cut out what Christie is reacting to. I suspect Brown was out of line, and there’s a concerted effort to defame Christie by making it look like he overreacted.

zmdavid on March 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM

The video was edited to make Christie look like a bully. The dude in question was a complete ***wipe.

This was like Fluke, a setup with the camera clown working with the “victim”.

Like Fluke, there are no innocent witness or bystanders, only political operatives.

Trace this edited version back and you’ll find a connection to a Jersey public employee union…..guaranteed.

rickyricardo on March 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM

It’s bad enough that Buzzfeed is circulating edited video. Now we have Hot Air doing it. Nice.

Mark1971 on March 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

It does seem like this video was edited to make Christie look like a bully. What the questioner said in the video didn’t seem all that bad, but why was he escorted out by the police? The police wouldn’t have removed the questioner from the room unless he had seemed threatening to Governor Christie.

Steve Z on March 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM

The guy he is speaking to is a political gadfly. He’s already run for Assembly once. He is political and did what he did on purpose to elicit the response. It was severely edited.

NJ Red on March 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

He’s still a gun grabbing RINO and has not enacted real entitlement reform. Trenton had to fire 1/4 of its police force under his ‘reforms’ because as he admits, 75% of NJ’s tax take is going on state labor.

Meanwhile, the crime rate in Trenton has rocketed.

The fat man is a poseur and about as conservative as Governor Moonbeam.

CorporatePiggy on March 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I’m sure this was a Question and Answer session. What I hate most from watching a lot of these on C-SPAN is there isn’t a mf’er in this country that knows what a question and what a statement is. This is not the time for that guy to grandstand, which is what he was trying to do. Ask your question and sit down and shut up. This was not a debate, if you don’t like the answer then too bad.

reddevil on March 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I graduated from Rowan. The Rutgers Camden campus is right up the highway and it’s a landing spot for many Rowan grads wanting to go to law school. Camden is the neighbor city to glassboro. It’s typical of Rutgers people to be upset because the Main campus is in new brunswick which is in north jersey. Rowan is in south jersey and the people in the north don’t care about the south. If its not done in north jersey then it’s not important apparently. Rowan has added a lot over the years and is a much better school than Rutgers imO

joey24007 on March 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

One tiny snippet of Brown speaking rather benignly then the rest of the video is Christie chastising Brown with righteous indignation while the Gestapo’esque attired Jersey State Police escort the ‘rabble-rouser’ out of the building, and then further escorting of Brown by the Gestapo’esque attired Jersey State Police away from the event outdoors while a voice over of Christie tongue lashing Brown plays on.

Terrible video if you’re looking for context and what actually transpired while they were face-to-face. Christie looks and sounds like a bully to the max in that out of context video.

(What the heck is up with the Gestapo’esque uniforms of the New Jersey State Police anyway?)

FlatFoot on March 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM

That was one heavily edited video

HotAirian on March 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM

It’s a Jersey thing. Not everyone can understand it.

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Chris Christie annoys me

apocalypse on March 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Christie is a conservative.

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Thanks for the laugh.

SparkPlug on March 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM

This video was edited poorly.

GardenGnome on March 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

How a guy with so much spine, and steely ones, can support a flip-flopping wuss like Mitt is beyond reason…

Otherwise he’s a RINO.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Christie is a conservative.

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

You are a joke.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He’s a fiscal conservative only. As a SoCon he’s anti 2nd amendment and pro amnesty just to name a few.

Buttercup on March 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

This Christie bullying is getting very boring. He needs to start behaving like a mature leader dealing with his employers.

antisocial on March 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Buttercup on March 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Bingo!

Hill60 on March 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Don’t forget Cap and Trade

KBird on March 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

But watch the video and judge for yourself as to how well it was handled.

Judge what??? Is there an unedited version somewhere?? Your version is crap.

BigWyo on March 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Don’t forget all of his PC-appointments to the court.

To be sure, I’m not a Santorum-adherent.

To be even more sure, calling the others names won’t bring them to your side.

Schadenfreude on March 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Don L on March 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

?

EddieC on March 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Ask Sarah Palin about these two(plus a cadre of other insider backstabbers)The list is too long -pay more attention and you’ll see the pattern of GOP control freaks for Oromney -the only man who has totally soiled credentials to take up against the vicious waiting Obama machine. An elementary school kidarty kid could out debate Mittens. He’s taken more positions than Madonna.

Don L on March 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Archivarix on March 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

This video is horrible. I’d expect crap like this from MediaMatters or ThinkProgress. Is that where HA got this vid? I like Christie but this vid is doing him no favors.

Take the video down until you find an unedited version of it.

EddieC on March 9, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Yes, please.

ManWithNoName on March 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM

The video is edited in such a way that there is no way you could tell who was in the right/wrong. That being said, “I’m the governor, so you should shut up” is a pretty repulsive sentiment.

MrLambyLamb on March 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

“I’m governor!”

huh?

We’re not impressed, Chrissy.

Metro on March 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I agree with some other folks on here: the video is edited and we can’t see the full exchange. The “I’m the Governor” comment was probably a bit much, but it’s not exactly a surprise given his lack of patience with folks who want to debate at inappropriate times.

Show me the entire video.

badtemper on March 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM

The video was too heavily edited to make sense. It appears to make Christie sound and act like a brat. The gaps in the vid
are way too obvious. it’s a set-up piece against Christie.

Texyank on March 9, 2012 at 6:56 PM