Romney brushes up on his Southern slang in preparation for Dixie primaries

posted at 6:00 pm on March 9, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Mitt Romney doesn’t have to master the South — he could lose both Alabama and Mississippi and still secure the nomination — but he’s made an effort to connect in Dixie anyway.

Entering the region as an underdog against Rick Santorum, Romney first deployed his Southern version during a Wednesday afternoon visit to Pascagoula, Miss., blending stump pitches on energy and the military with a shout-out to campaign aide Garrett Jackson, a 2009 Ole Miss grad, who he travels with “more than my wife.”

“He’s now turning me into an, I don’t know, an unofficial Southerner,” Romney said in front of several giant oil-drilling rig platforms sitting at the port. “I’m learning to say ‘y’all.’ I like grits. Things are, strange things, are happening to me.”

On cue, Romney kept the Southern shtick going Thursday morning at a town hall-style rally in Jackson, Miss. Standing next to Gov. Phil Bryant, a recent endorser who’s from one of the most conservative counties in the state, Romney opened with a local salute.

“The governor said I had to say it right: Mornin’ y’all. Good to be with you,” Romney bantered. “I got started right this morning with a biscuit and some cheesy grits. I’ll tell you! Delicious.”

The reviews of his Southern act have been mixed. (If he really wanted to bowl everybody over, he’d accompany every Southern handshake with a friendly, “How’s your mam’n’em?” Guess Garrett Jackson hasn’t taught Mitt that one yet.) One Mississippi rally-goer told Politico that Romney’s appropriation of Southern linguistic efficiencies like “y’all” could be perceived as “disingenuous.” Another said she was essentially indifferent to his pretense of a Southern personality — but wouldn’t be indifferent to his success story if he would only tell it in a way that conveyed that it’s possible for the middle class to attain what he has. Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant declared, “I think people in Mississippi like Mitt Romney.”

According to Rasmussen, that’s true: Romney has an 8-point lead in the state. ARG puts Newt Gingrich up by four, but it still looks like a Romney win in Mississippi is possible, maybe even likely — and, again, Romney doesn’t have to win to stay in the race. Gingrich has made a win in either Mississippi or Alabama (and preferably both!) do-or-die. If he wins neither, he’ll probably be out. Santorum, too, needs a victory in one or both to knock out Gingrich and to bolster his narrative that he’s the leading counter to Romney.

Both Gingrich and Santorum are running out of money with which to mount a fight, though. Gingrich opted to forgo a Monday fundraiser to do a little last-minute campaigning in the South, recognizing that if he raises $1 million Monday but loses Mississippi and Alabama Tuesday, he’ll have no campaign left to finance. Santorum recently said he’s “burning through [his] savings.” Romney, too, has had to spend more than he planned — but he has better-positioned supporters to hit up for more cash. Donor fatigue might be the single biggest drawback to a long primary!

At this point, it would be encouraging to see Romney take a Southern state other than Virginia (namely, Mississippi); it would weaken the argument that he’ll be unable to count on the support of the South in the general election. Romney has acknowledged that the South is “a bit of an away game” for him. Now’s when he needs to prove that he’s got what it takes to lead the entire country, not just the Northeast or the ultra-wealthy or establishment Republicans. Clearly, that’s what the Romney camp is thinking, too. Hence his “Southern makeover.”

To parrot Santorum’s advisers, though, it’d also be nice if Alabamans voted to make this a two-man race so, at the very least, we’re able to learn if all non-Romney votes up to this point really have been anti-Romney votes or whether the majority of Republicans really are OK with Romney as the nominee.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I am hopeful and optimistic that it will..:)

Dire Straits on March 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Tina bringin’ da “How’s your mam’n’em?” !

kunegetikos on March 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Well bless his heart! (Southern for what a big phoney)

kringeesmom on March 9, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I’m wondering if this site will ever get back to reasoned, honest, exchanges that don’t rely on name-calling and half truths. What do you think it would take?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

A first step would be to never have two back to back advertised open registrations again.

TxAnn56 on March 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM

BTW, I’ve been living down South for 12 years and never heard “How’s your mam’n’em?”.

Buy Danish on March 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

You ain’t never heard Shirley Q. Liquor then. Funny stuff. Slip down at Walmart etc.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Allyall knows he is just having a little fun.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I remember reading once that Jimmy Carter had to practice at softening his native accent so as to not sound too dumb to northern ears.

Personally, I think most people appreciate it when others make a sincere effort to speak their language, unless they’re already determined to dislike them.

I also think that Republicans everywhere are getting concerned about how this internecine sniping and negative ads are hurting the cause to turn out Obama and starting to decide that it’s time to wrap these primaries up. If enough decide that, Romney could win one of these Southern states and wind this up quickly.

flataffect on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

You can’t make me eat the biscuits an gravy.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I’m glad mitt decided to spend time in the south instead of writing it off. His poll numbers show he actually has a lot of support there as well and seems to be connecting with people. He needs to do more stuff like this it shows he’s a human being and not some empty suit running for a job. I also think a lot of people were moved by his comments to the father on the huck jobs forum, that’s one thing I envy about the south compared to Cali Is the patriotism that’s lacking here.

1984 in real life on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

cicerone on March 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Wow. Overreact much? Good lord!

JannyMae on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

You really don’t get the joke?

cicerone on March 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, right, the “joke”. Because your boy Mittens isn’t lying two-faced piece of scum that carefully feeds everything through his advisors and doesn’t tie his shoes without thinking about what he can do to make it more politically expedient for himself.

…oh wait.

Daikokuco on March 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Hawkdriver??!!

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Hopefully, barring no hard feeling and blaming, after the primaries. I am still holding out a slim hope for that..

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Hawkdriver??!!

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Are you asking me, or is this your long-winded “civil” way of name-calling?

If its the latter, as I’m sure it is: Romney is lying two faced scum. Nothing unreasonable or dishonest about that statement. Just the facts, maam.

Daikokuco on March 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Hi hawk. I think that ship sailed long ago.
O/T in response to your question from the other night. My MOS was 67N—UH-1, and 67V—OH-58/OH-6.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Folks (a nice southern expression), I’ve been out of the country for a long time and just got back. Hard to access HA in different parts of the world, but talking about grits got me going. I think grits and tomato juice are the best hangover cure in the world and folks that is coming from a professional hangover expert. Anyhow, trying to catch up on all that is happening in my real world. It is really good to read the clips on HA. Missed the USA!!!!

hip shot on March 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Good Lord, what a pitiful Dork he is! Can’t wait til he shows his faced in New York:

“How youse doin’? Fuggedaboudit!”

Naturally Curly on March 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

He announced up front that these are the “southern” terms his aide — a man of the south — has been teaching him. He didn’t slip into a racist “I ain’t no ways tah-erd” accent a la Schrilley, with no context other than rank pandering. Romney’s comments were sweet and endearing, and he’s polling very well in these 2 southern races.

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Are you asking me, or is this your long-winded “civil” way of name-calling?

Daikokuco on March 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

1. I’m a Mr.
2. If out of all of that you can divine me calling you a name, I wouldn’t know much else I could tell you.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You can’t make me eat the biscuits an gravy.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

But can you say cain’t..:)

Seriously, at least Romney is admitting that southern culture is something he is not familiar with and having some fun with it, unlike Obama who adopts the dialect for show and who can forget Hillary and the show she puts on, and good Lord, she’s from Arkansas!

Texas Gal on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

“How youse doin’? Fuggedaboudit!”

Naturally Curly on March 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

LOL- Maybe Jersey Shore.. He can GTL :)

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Someone quietly inform the Governor that “cheese grits” are not “cheesy,” politicians are.

Actually, it’s almost endearing that he muffs it whenever he is compelled to pander and play Zelig. I prefer his gaffes to the gaffes of all others.

kunegetikos on March 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hi hawk. I think that ship sailed long ago.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Started 67U here. OH6? You’ve either been out a while or worked for the Task Force.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Hawkdriver??!!

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

What? You sound shell shocked. Did you want to tell me something?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Now if we can get him to work on stomping evil Urkel we are getting somewhere.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Look no one is perfect. Why even Sarah Palin said Obama wants to go back to pre civil war days. What no post for her?

rubberneck on March 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Folks (a nice southern expression)…..

Maybe, that is why it bothers me so much that Obama says this all the time! He has ruined the word for me!

theaddora on March 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Out since 1974. RVN 72-73. I did 11 months and the war ended at least for us.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

rubberneck on March 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

“Cain’t sit here!”

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I don’t really see a difference between a passive-agressive screed denouncing somebody as being a dishonest and unreasonable and needing to be dealt with, and simply calling them a lying 2-faced scum. Same message either way.

Daikokuco on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

As a conservative and MA native and lifelong resident, I have no use for Mitt Romney. BUT…

I am going to cut him some slack here. I suspect there really was an element of self-deprecation: Romney deliberately playing into the stereotype of the inauthentic, awkward, out-of-touch guy. Now don’t get me wrong, he is the inauthentic, awkward, out-of-touch guy, but I think that he was actually trying to connect by demonstrating that he knows he has an image problem to overcome.

I didn’t vote for Romney in 1994, 2002, or last in Tuesday’s primary, and though I will vote for him in November if he’s the GOP nominee, I’ll probably have to get blind drunk first to do it. But he gets a pass from me on this one.

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

You can’t make me eat the biscuits an gravy.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Boy, if’n somebody got to make you eat biscuits and gravy then you jes’ ain’t right inna first place! S’mpn wrong witchu.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Out since 1974. RVN 72-73. I did 11 months and the war ended at least for us.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Salutes! You guys, of your era, wrote the book on Air Assault.

You know Cindy Munford’s hubby was a UH1 DG?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Daikokuco on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Your opinion.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hawkdriver??!!

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

What?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I just had a hallucination. I saw something that doesn’t exist.

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I just had a hallucination. I saw something that doesn’t exist.

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You thought I wrote that, didn’t you?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I did not approve – thought it sounded like a slave talking about their female master. Buy Danish on March 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I know what you mean, I especially disliked it when the children are black but I just had to tell myself that these where their parents instructions and I wasn’t to undermine them. One of my son’s friends is well into her thirties with children of her own and I had to beg her to stop calling me Miss Cindy.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

LMAO– and I agree.

Me too…Hopefully his VP will be a good choice.

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM

hip shot on March 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Where have you been and were you unable to read HotAir? Welcome back!!!

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I think this group has adopted the “If the facts don’t conform to the theory, they must be disposed of”, meme.

Romney’s going to take the south too. Not by much, but he will.

BettyRuth on March 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I just had a hallucination. I saw something that doesn’t exist.

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You thought I wrote that, didn’t you?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

No, of course not.

But if anything like that existed, you would have found it yesterday, right? I mean, you searched the resident threads for about 15 hours, and you found so many things.

But you didn’t find anything like this, which can only mean that I am hallucinating.

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Me too…Hopefully his VP will be a good choice.

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM

H*ll, Zombie Reagan could be on the ticket, and I’d still have to be near comatose to pull the lever for him! :-) But I will…

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

um …

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Buy Danish on March 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Me neither. Not even sure what it’s supposed to mean? Mom and Dad? Maybe?

lorien1973 on March 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ok, let me translate a little. This sounds like a hillbilly dialect. I’m guessing Appalachia. It translates to “How is your Mom and them”. It means “How’s your family doing”.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You know Cindy Munford’s hubby was a UH1 DG?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Did not know that. She is really a nice lady. I was a crew chief/gunner. I loved it. I must have been more brave then—-or foolish.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

hip shot on March 9, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Welcome home!

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yep, that’s what the Husband did in Vietnam.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Last I checked he also took Florida. You know, that dangly one in the SOUTHERN US! Is it the bias that affects Tina’s brain, or does she just suck that badly at geography?
Its also interesting he’s mocking his lack of southern roots, you take him to be serious (why would he say the gov told him to say it right if he was being serious).

Zaggs on March 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’d love to hear some and tell DG stories. I’m going to have to drop an email on a small thread some day for you. I had a throwaway I used but actually after dropping it last time I got so much hate mail I had to close it.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

“Mam ‘n ‘em” is definitely hillbilly-redneck speak. “Mam” is short for “Mamaw,” a common nickname for grandmother. “‘n ‘em” is “and them,” i.e. The rest of the family. Not something you would hear in most of the South.

rockmom on March 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yeah I figured Tina was trying to say Ma and them as in mother and family but that’s not southern talkin’ … as you say that’s hillbilly redneck. Funny how some of our ‘betters’ think they know so much about us.

Texas Gal on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Don’t be too quick. It’s a Deep South phrase, and even there it’s a bit regional. Texas — well, there’s been debate about whether Texas is truly a Southern state. Though it sure isn’t a Yankee state, but it’s about as much western as southern.

You would have to not only live in the South, but have family in the South, to be likely to hear the phrase.

tom on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Just goes to show, if you can fake severely conservative, you can fake anything.

Don’t make me no nevermind.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Hope you didn’t mind.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Well I’ll be glad to buy the first round for you, if that’s what it will take :-)

MJBrutus on March 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Not at all.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

rockmom on March 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sorry rockmom, didn’t see your post before I posted my reply above. Looks like we’re in agreement on the dialect being hillbilly. Mam could definitely be Mamaw as well as Mother. Would depend on the context of who was being asked. Both hillbilly and standard English were commonly used in the area where I grew up.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I find that so sad.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

MJBrutus on March 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Are you offering to buy for ALL of us who have to get drunk to pull the lever for this years candidates? :)

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Oh, I’ll give him a pass on this. He’s trying, even though it may be awkward. Romney seems to be almost Nixonian in his awkwardness.

ddrintn on March 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Are you suggesting a Nixon landslide victory for the Rominator?

FlaMurph on March 9, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Well, if you can get McGovern to run instead of Obama, maybe. Maybe.

ddrintn on March 9, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yeah, that fella never had my Miss’sippi Grandma’s scratch biscuits and bacon gravy. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water and and my eyes a little bit, too. That’s the first meal I’ll be asking for if I’m lucky enough to join her in heaven.

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Maybe you didn’t understand that wasn’t my part of what we were discussing. I neither claimed Mitt Ronmey didn’t have offensive remarks made against him here or volunteered to find them for you. Above that, I’m not sure what the point is that you’re trying to prove. And it doesn’t take me 15 hours to find a comment.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

While we got some really terrific people in the open registration, we also got a lot of real idiots for lack of a better term.

I miss the days where we had huge post threads and it was intelligent discussion.

Now a lot of it is just insults and ranting.

gophergirl on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If you’re ever in my neck of the woods drop in and I’ll whip up a batch. I’ll even put a little sausage in the gravy if you like :-) Shoot, just to make it interesting I’ll fry up a batch of country ham and make red eye gravy too! I make mine with a tablespoon or two of coffee.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Now a lot of it is just insults and ranting.

gophergirl on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think a good amount of the detritus will disappear after the primary since a large number of them are campaign shills of one kind or another.

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I find that so sad.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

That was actually the second time. The one I still use got it too after I posted it for UpinAK and you guys for the Care Packages.

“Don’t crash”
“Hope you crash”
“Burn in He11 MFer”
“If the Taliban gets you, you won’t be missed.”

I don’t think I had a throwaway then and it just stopped after a while.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Good Lord! I like to believe that what goes around comes around.

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I hope so.

gophergirl on March 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Sounds good to me, and I’ll bring the ‘shine for a little later on the day, say around one zero hundred hours.

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

tom on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I see you didn’t see my first comment that I travel the Gulf Coast corridor from Texas to Florida regularly to visit family. I am a native Texan, but my father is native Floridian and his mother, my grandmother, was native Alabamian. So I’m pretty familiar with the lingo. Tina was trying to be cute and syntax “Mom and them” which I suspected was the case. But I just couldn’t help pokin’ fun at Tina for trying to poke fun at Romney when no one could understand what she was sayin’.

You’re right about Texas, kinda. It’s a big state. To the east it’s a lot like the southeastern states and to the west it’s a lot like the southwestern states. To the north the same applies and unfortunately to the south it’s becoming a suburb of Old Mexico.

And I do know about Yankees. My mama is one .. that makes me a half-breed.. ;)

Texas Gal on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Oh dear Lord.

gophergirl on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

LOL- Maybe Jersey Shore.. He can GTL :)

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Geez, I hope The Situation doesn’t endorse.

Priscilla on March 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I likes to tell stories :). It is just awful that you got hate mail. I want you to know that I prayed for your safety as did other HA denizens when you were last deployed. I love the UH-60 and admired your service.

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Just sickening, some of those comments. Unbelievable. Sheesh.

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Cindy Munford on March 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
gophergirl on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Oh yeah.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Please, don’t tell me that you ignored slurs against Romney just to win an argument and further a narrative. I would really be disappointed ;-)

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

arnold ziffel on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Thanks. I’ll just say it takes a special kind of person to DG like you guys do/did. Like I said. I’ll find you on a side thread some day and drop my email.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Ok, this is funny and sort of on topic. Just saw on Fox News that some bunch is getting ready to release the Dictionary of American Regional Dialects. The last word in it is Zydeco and Shep Smith muffed it, didn’t recognize the word in print. Sort of recovered when he pronounced it a couple of time. Probably had some staffer whispering in his ear.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

MJBrutus on March 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Lol! Thanks, I just might take you up on it!

It’s actually a great way to begin the post-primary HA reconciliation process; I think we could all raise a glass to the cause of defeating Obama! That’s the kind of Beer Summit I could get behind. :-)

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Hey y’all, check out muh wife’s too Ceddl-leks. Ain’t they purty and what not?

angryed on March 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Mitt Boy…repeat, after me…Git R Done…!!!

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Gelsomina on March 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

At the end of that conversation, I got the impression we had both pretty much agreed the tenor of comments here was bad on both sides. If you’re trying to say if was my responsibility to make your side of the argument, I’ll say I at least in part did that. Where you asserted no one took up for Governor Ronmey, I pretty quickly provided a comment where someone called him “not a Christian” and I corrected that charge.

Can I say that the more we exchange, the more confused I become with your point?

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Can’t wait to see Romney campaign in California, specifically San Francisco.

“Ladieees!! How’s everyone doing today? Ya know, I was down at a bathhouse this morning. Wow! Apparently, I’m a “bottom”, is that how you say it? A bottom? I’m a bottom. (Har-dee-har-har). Later on tonight I’m going to a fetish ball. I even bought some a@@less chaps an everything. And tomorrow night, I’m going to watch Glee!”

Hey Mittbotts…convey to your leader, that sometimes he needs to shut up more and pander less. Because one of these days he’s going to be in a black church saying something like, “Hey! You know what my favorite show was back in the…back in the ‘hood? The Cosby Show! That was a great show, wasn’t it?”

shannon76 on March 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

tom on March 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM

And I do know about Yankees. My mama is one .. that makes me a half-breed.. ;)

Texas Gal on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

All I can say is my wife has a T-shirt that says, “How’s your momma’n’em.” The moment she saw it, she said, “that sounds just like some in my family.” And I wouldn’t consider them rednecks, though I realize to some, everyone in Mississippi is a redneck.

(We’re not. But we all know a few!)

tom on March 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hey y’all, check out muh wife’s too Ceddl-leks. Ain’t they purty and what not?

angryed on March 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Well at least he ain’t gone into a store yet to “Get me a huntin’ license.” And best I can tell he “Ain’t no ways tard” neither.

Oldnuke on March 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

flataffect on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Translation: Damn you redneck inbred hicks, stop voting for someone else and let’s crown Willard king already. These peasants, I tell ya, they never listen to their masters anymore like the good old days.

angryed on March 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

That’s a really good point. It seems like a lot of us feel like we’re settling, and the only thing we’re arguing about is who’s the least-bad option. :-(

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

While in the South, is Willard gonna be huntin’ him some small varmints?

angryed on March 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

(We’re not. But we all know a few!)

tom on March 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

LOL.. yes.

You’re wife was right and Tina was wrong. In the south it’s momma or mama.. not mam. But I think I remember something about Tina being from Arkansas or in that geographic area and she probably does know a hillbilly or two.

Texas Gal on March 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

And in the general, the question will still be the same. We’re just hoping for an easier answer.

tom on March 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Mitt should leave the drawl to the Won. He’s got the sound down pat.

Kissmygrits on March 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Are you sure this guy isn’t some kind of Japanese robot Ken Doll? Could he be more plastic? I give up.

ronsfi on March 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I have a feeling that a lot of conservatives will be in that state on November 6th. Might be a good time to buy stock in liquor companies.

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Remember when Hilary tried to talk black? Mitt was just as bad with his southern drawl.

fight like a girl on March 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

tom on March 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I guess if it ended up being paul, JohnGalt23 will be buying.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Can’t wait to see Romney campaign in California, specifically San Francisco.

shannon76 on March 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Too funny shannon76!

Fortunately the Romney campaign still has plenty of time to prep for the California Primary which is on June 5th.

Tips for the campaign when in San Francisco:

- June is Gay Pride month so be sure to bring appropriate attire.

- The “How Wierd Street Fair” (on Howard Street)is on May 13th, so if they are in the area in advance of the Primary they will want to put that on the calendar.

- The “World Naked Bike Race” is this weekend, so they will likely miss that event.

So much to see and do in San Francisco that is truly unique!

Just one more reason for the Republicans to get this Primary nomination wrapped up before they have to do too much campaigning in California!

wren on March 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

he’s so incredibly awkward!

Sachiko on March 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

An active weeding-out of the trolls.

Dunedainn on March 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I guess if it ended up being paul, JohnGalt23 will be buying.

hawkdriver on March 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

There’s not enough booze in the world for that! :-D

Okay, that was just some good-natured ribbing. Really, I mean no offense to Paul or to the erstwhile JohnGalt23.

Just Sayin on March 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM