Obama documentary maker: The only negative aspect of Obama is … Republicans

posted at 12:10 pm on March 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Allahpundit introduced you to the story of the Obama campaign documentary — allow CNN’s Piers Morgan to introduce you to its producer, documentarian Davis Guggenheim. Morgan fillets Guggenheim after the filmmaker insists that he found no negatives at all about Barack Obama, and that the only negative aspect of Obama’s term as President comes from … his opposition. No, seriously:

Daniel Halper has a partial transcript, but I want to complete it, bolding the part where Guggenheim gets stumped on Obama’s negatives:

Piers Morgan: “Most documentary makers balance these movies with the negative as well as the positive. What are the negatives in your movie about Barack Obama?

Davis Guggenheim: “Well, I mean the negative for me was, there were too many accomplishments. I had 17 minutes to put them all in there.”

Piers Morgan: “Oh, come off it! You can’t say that with a straight face. Come on.”

Davis Guggenheim: “I’m looking at you right now with a straight face.”

Piers Morgan: “The only negativity about Barack Obama is there are too many positives?”

Davis Guggenheim: “That was the negative — excuse me, that was the negative for me.”

Piers Morgan: “Oh.”

Davis Guggenheim: The challenge for me is, I wanted to put more in there.  I did.

Piers Morgan: But are there any negatives in there?

Davis Guggenheim: [pause] I think there are negatives in the sense that, the challenges when you’re trying to pass health care in a really toxic environment, in terms of the opposition he’s had, the political climate in Washington. I think that’s — Time and time again you hear that from  people who work closely with him.  He says, you know — they — he really ran hoping to change the political climate in Washington, and that hasn’t changed, and he, you know, he’s wanted to bring people together, he’s wanted to compromise, he’s wanted, you know, to bring people together to make decisions, I say that in the movie, and he hasn’t had another side working with him.

Piers Morgan: “But where do you find fault in him, personally?”

Davis Guggenheim: “I — you know, I don’t. I don’t, frankly.”

Piers Morgan: “He’s a perfect human being?”

Davis Guggenheim: “Well, no. but I’m really quite in awe of him, as a leader, and the choices he’s made.”

Piers Morgan: “I mean, I’m only asking because you are a well-known documentary maker, and this would be the first movie, I guess, you’ve made where it’s all completely positive. And even you personally don’t see any negative at all in the guy. Do you think you were the right guy to make this? I mean, are you dispassionate enough to make a Barack Obama video?”

Davis Guggenheim: “But, Piers, you haven’t seen the movie. You’ve only seen the trailer.”

Piers Morgan: “Well, I’ve asked you to list all the negatives and you said the only negative was you couldn’t put enough positives in.”

Davis Guggenheim: “Well, that’s true. That’s true.”

Awww … the only negative Guggenheim could find was that Obama couldn’t charm people out of their political principles.  This looks like a great way to spend 17 minutes, although if you really want a tongue bath of this magnitude, all you have to do is turn on MSNBC during their prime-time programming.  You get a lot more than 17 minutes of this kind of hero-worship there.

Morgan skewers Guggenheim at the end:

Piers Morgan: How much did it cost, and who paid?

Davis Guggenheim: Well, I’ll let the campaign tell you that. I, you know, I took a pay cut to make this. But, you know, the — again, I make movies –

Piers Morgan: I’m surprised you weren’t paying him, by the sound of it.  For the sheer honor and joy.

Well, this is a campaign advertisement, so it’s not like Team Obama would let Guggenheim include data points like the mirage of shovel-ready jobs, Operation Fast and Furious, or Solyndra, just to name a few items off the top of my head.  Still, I wish Guggenheim well and hope that he wins a much-deserved Riefenstahl Award for his efforts.  Morgan deserves an Emmy for that humorous dismantling of a guest, but I suspect he won’t get a nomination for that segment.

Update: I didn’t recall that Guggenheim won an Oscar for An Inconvenient Truth, but Jake Tapper did — and he points out a few more inconvenient truths that Guggenheim almost certainly leaves out of his “documentary.”

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I made it thru the whole gross interview! Quick, I demand a Nobel Peace Prize!!

Sherman1864 on March 10, 2012 at 4:46 AM

What part about “living to harass white folks” didn’t you get, stupid?

LizardLips on March 10, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Liberals are so stupid.

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM

At what point in his life do you think he looked in the mirror and said, “Yeah, that’s a good look for me. This is the image I want to project.”?

Robbin Hood on March 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Sherman1864: “I made it thru the whole gross interview! Quick, I demand a Nobel Peace Prize!!”

Too late, you actually did something. The legitimate way to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize is to have done nothing and get given it as an advance payment on things that you might in future do.

David Blue on March 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM

that you might in future do.

David Blue on March 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Like drone strikes? Assassinations of Americans ? Involving ourselves in foreign wars without Congressional approval(or even U.N. approval)? Those type of things?

CW on March 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Piers Morgan: How much did it cost, and who paid?

Piers Morgan: I’m surprised you weren’t paying him, by the sound of it. For the sheer honor and joy.

Yeah, because nothing sells a film about the most divisive President in history like groveling sycophancy.

Botticelli’s illustration of Dante’s Inferno shows insincere flatterers grovelling in excrement in the second pit of the eighth circle.[1]
Sycophancy[2] is obsequious flattery.

Alternative phrases are often used such as:

apple-polishing
yes man

[edit] See also
Codependency
Narcissistic supply
Obedience
Submissiveness

Obviously a plus in the world of Obama enablers..

mark81150 on March 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Is this guy on drugs or just plain stupid?

CTpatriot on March 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Is this guy on drugs or just plain stupid?
CTpatriot on March 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

pannw on March 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

MAke this the face of the Obama campaign; a professionally incompetent and rationally challenged film maker.

mad scientist on March 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I wonder if all the Hollywood jerk stores who were quick to call “Act of Valor” propaganda will quickly denounce this actual propaganda.

Id like to ask each and every one of them face to face like Breitbart would.

Oh, and I feel sorry for this poor Guggenheim dude. He is obviously a sick man. The world doesnt get that distorted without some sort of trauma to your psyche.

alecj on March 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’m so happy there are people like Jake Tapper.

magicbeans on March 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Wouldn’t you want the director of your campaign video to be enthusiastically supportive?

And by the way, a documentary film can have a point of view –some would argue that all documentary films do, regardless of any stated goal of objectivity– and still qualify as a documentary.

Drew Lowell on March 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

A total lack of criticism speaks to either;
1. An inability to discriminate anything to be critical of.
2. An unwillingness to discriminate anything to be critical of.
3. An unwillingness to state whatever criticism one may have.

So;
Fool, Tool, Liar.

Which is he?

massrighty on March 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Drew Lowell on March 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

A total lack of criticism speaks to either;
1. An inability to discriminate anything to be critical of.
2. An unwillingness to discriminate anything to be critical of.
3. An unwillingness to state whatever criticism one may have.

So;
Fool, Tool, Liar.

Which is he?

massrighty on March 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I’ll quote the succinct word of poster pannw above and say:

kim roy on March 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I’ll quote the succinct word of poster pannw above and say:

kim roy on March 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Okay;

I’m a little wordy.

massrighty on March 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

On the bright side, watching the video causes the viewer to loose his appetite so it would make a great diet tool.

Kingfisher on March 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sorry, its really hard to take seriously someone who looks like they’re right out of SlapShot. AKA Hanson Brothers.

Vitruvianman on March 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Vitruvianman on March 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The Hanson brothers did not look like bed wetters though.

roy_batty on March 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM